Speaker 1: The first time and O'Connell Breakfast Show, Melbourne's Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the end of the decade because it is coming up. We've only got two and a bit months left on this year and then it is the end of a decade. We have seen off another decade and when you think about it, there are so many big moments, good and bad. If we're honest about this decade. When I start to google it yesterday, some of the biggest talking points of the year, some of them made you shudder, you know, because you live. If you think about the bigger talking points of the last decade, there are some themes that are coming up all over the world. But what we're doing, then there's that meet Chack and Pats each day this week we're going through what we think are our personal two or three big moments of the last decade. Patsy, it's you this morning. What do you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: First of all, for me, definitely the election of our first female prime minister in Australia are coming of age for us, and it was also a time of great political turmoil in our country. But personally, on a personal note, I'd just given birth to my daughter. So for me, it was like, wow, this is a great example for Audrey as she grows up that you know, women can be whatever they want to be, they can do whatever they want to do. And I think, you know, whether you supported labor or not, I think Julia was a bit of a trailblazer really for women in the country. And one thing that I really loved her for was her infamous now misogyny speech in Parliament, which was directed at then PM Tony Abbott.
Speaker 2: So I've listened to this. It's that sort of a house of cards.
Speaker 4: I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man.
Speaker 5: Debbie wants to know what.
Speaker 4: Misogyny looks like in mod in Australia. And Mary doesn't need a motion in the House of Representatives, he needs a miro.
Speaker 5: Oh I remember the day that happened in him.
Speaker 2: What a moment in history that must have been. There's something still so empowering hearing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was just so passionate watching her deliver that speech during question time, and I think it really drew a line in the sand that enough is enough and that women or women, not only women in public office, but deserve a fair go.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's any different now in twenty nineteen, though, House progress really been made When you get people like just Center ar Don, who's getting grief from rich white men. If you're threatened by like Alan Jones threatening her with all kind of physical act, which is horrible, I.
Speaker 5: Think you are at an unfair advantage.
Speaker 3: And I think you're always sort of trying to catch up and trying to be heard equally. So that for me and the connection to my little girl growing up and potential for her and breaking.
Speaker 2: The glass the world that she's growing into.
Speaker 3: That was really important for me and I think really important for our country as well.
Speaker 2: In this clip as well, who is the idiot guy that's trying to help her out? With the punchline that she said you go to? He ruins the punchline about she sums up what she's doing.
Speaker 6: Haven't listening again, mirror, Yeah, she's got it, idiot, Let that talk.
Speaker 4: I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny.
Speaker 5: By this man. Debbie wants to.
Speaker 4: Know what misogyny looks like in mod not Australia doesn't need a motion in the House of Representatives, he needs it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like mate, it it's like going to a standout gig and there's some bumbling in the fright some of your punkchlizer even did it again there guys, you hear these are ladies they need out.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show on Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: All right, what have you got next time? Brother? Big moments then for Patrina Jones of this decade.
Speaker 5: The day Prince died and when the news broke the.
Speaker 7: Day we are coming on the air with breaking news about the death of an American music icon. Prince, the innovative, one of a kind artists who has given us so much great music over the decades, has been found dead at his Paisley Park compound in suburban Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was just I can remember. I was coming into work at four am and it was just breaking. I remember coming into the newsroom and I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the on the telly on the screens of this break She was so young, he was fifty seven, but it was.
Speaker 2: A very reclusive guy. He did his live stuff and then he just disappeared into the mansion. Then he didn't really see him living that wild of a lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: It was strange though. Do you remember a week before his plane was forced to make an emergency landing, rumors controversy around it, and they said he had the flu, but obviously he.
Speaker 5: Was unwell then. But I loved his music.
Speaker 2: I love it was a one off. He was a phenom. You know, they wanting a generation of more than that talent. There's like another worldliness about him.
Speaker 5: It's a freak.
Speaker 3: And I saw him at Melbourne Park in ninety one Diamonds and Pearls. Oh wow, at that concert, and he'd only played at Melbourne a few weeks before he died at the Art Center. Gavin Miller had gone and seen him, and I was really angry with myself because I thought, oh, I'm too busy, really tired. You know, I can't make the time to go. I'll save the money. And now, of course it's my greatest regret because.
Speaker 2: You still got to see him live and seeing him something else. He was an amazing live performing That's what he really came aim alive was in the Lovely He did a run for a month that the two. The O two is a twenty thousand seat of venue in London, right he did thirty one shows every single night. Get this as well. He was one of the first artists that really sorted out ticket touts. Artists can solve it if they really really want to. He set a fixed price of saying no more than fifty bucks wherever you are in the house. That's twenty thousand people. That's a lot of money coming off his bottom line, so therefore tells them that they couldn't bump it up higher. There was just a standard fee for tickets, and he did thirty one shows. I went twice, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's just that thing of actually seeing someone who's that beyond good. Good doesn't even it's not a word. I can't. There aren't words in English language to actually describe how great it was seeing someone that good. And he did his great as hits, but he was doing like long, sort of fifteen minute medleys of them and they were amazing. And the girls and the backing band with him, everything was so tight and drilled and honed, and it was just amazing to see. There was a sexiness and a potent see about seeing him live. The atmosphere. There's twenty thousand people changed. There was like an it was alchemy. That's what you were witnessing with Prince.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll never be another Prince. That's That's what I'm so sad about. He was so so unique and guys's prowess in his music. One of the great examples is this early demo session of Nothing Compares to You.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know he wrote this and that's so cool. Gave it away to shaneila Connor. Have I listened to this? No, they're just releasing lots of his old stuff from the vaults because he made.
Speaker 5: So much material. Wasn't there still not out?
Speaker 2: And then they're talking about doing one of these hologram tours as well, which I would go and see these hologram tours getting better and better. Well said though Perhassly, that was the passing of a legend.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 2: This morning, Patrina Jones has been taking us through some of the big moments for her in this decade, because we were ending the near of a decade, not just the end of twenty nine. Team. We begin next year with a new decade, and we're asking our house and you what do you think of the big talking points? What are they going to be of this decade? What's your last one? Perts?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's got to be Donald Trump, doesn't it? Oh God, I still can't believe. Actually, when I'm writing news scripts that I'm writing US President Donald Trump, it.
Speaker 2: Just doesn't to me. He's like he's a creation of the times. He came out, so it's happened in Britman Brexit with Boris Johnson and happening all over the world. He's like a modern Frankenstein. Who is he is? He's a perfect symbol of what is going on in America and other countries.
Speaker 3: Do you think people would have said that when Ronald Reagan was elected, like he was a former actor. What have they seen a former actor as potentially the leader of the free world. It's just, you know, so November twenty sixteen, he came to power so much controversy, but he got something like fifty six point nine percent of the vote. People voted for him, and of course his big massive catch cry during his whole Republican campaign was this.
Speaker 2: And we will make America great again. God bless you and good night, I love you.
Speaker 5: We just get swept up in it, don't they?
Speaker 2: The entertainment of it and the rebel rousing of the crowd. It's an incredible story, isn't it? Though? Donald Trump? How he got into power and how he's still there? Do you remember when he got in like it won't last, he'd be impeached. They tried many, many many many may time and who knows what might happen there. But I just although it was going to be assassinated within a year and stuff like that, he's still there and not just that. No matter what he does and what he says and insults people various groups, women, minorities, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I know. How is that?
Speaker 5: I don't think that.
Speaker 2: Would fly anyone who's supposed to be running a country the size of America. How have you got time to hang out on social media?
Speaker 5: Loves his Twitter account?
Speaker 2: He must have been We need you in this room for another briefings. Misspelled there? How do you spelled Korea?
Speaker 5: But how is history going to judge him?
Speaker 3: How is history in ten twenty years it's going to look back on?
Speaker 4: Or has he changed the role so completely now that I mean, he's pushed the branderies in so many ways and shown that you can still stay in power.
Speaker 2: I think he's really changed that role. I always like to think that with politics, people are smart and they get wise. Even someone they elect to do that they thought might do a job and then he didn't. If you think about the poor people of America who did elect him, and how he's really screwing them over, he's not helping them at all, and how politics, hopefully we have to believe that people get rinsed out. It's like it cleans it south of the political otherwise is so so bleak. I know here on bleak FM. Let's hope the next year he gets rinsed out the system like a dirty old sock.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show on Gold one oh four point three