Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is probably presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantas is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello, welcome to the Unplabled Podcast. Well Australia, they are out of the TEA twenty World Cup, they haven't made the Super eight phase.
Speaker 2: They won't make the semifinals for the third year in.
Speaker 1: A row or third tournament in a row, and now we have to discuss how it happened and why it happened.
Speaker 2: My name is Joshu and I finger.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure to be back in the studio with now former player Kane Richardson.
Speaker 2: Richo, how's it going mate.
Speaker 3: Former player, current critic. No, it's good. We're in a beautiful studio by the way, So no expense spared on the Unplayable Podcast these days. But yeah, disappointing circumstances to be talking about this week.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you're up all night on Tuesday night watching the rainfall down in Palla Kelly.
Speaker 2: No match was played between Island and Zimbabwe.
Speaker 1: Needed as Australians for Ireland to win that match, but the draw the split points is enough as Zimbabwe to go through to the Super Eights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost a fitting way for it to happen, isn't it. Just to watch the rainfall for a couple of hours, and I know the guys would have been sitting in the hotel room just watching watching the rain and hoping that the sun would have come out or the moon would to come out and they would have been able to play. But unfortunately, when you put yourself in these positions and you're rely relying on the weather not playing a part, then you probably don't deserve to go through. And as you say, to three World Cups in a row now where not only semi final the last two editions, to not make it through to the Super Eights or the next stage is so disappointing.
Speaker 4: So no doubt those guys are hurting.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately either have to front up for one more game and finish their World Cups super early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've still got Aman on Friday night, so that's coming out. But before we get into the Australian analysis. Last week we asked for some of the best moments in t twenty World Cup history. This one probably won't go down from an Australian point of view, but we had to great responses, including one from Kashi who said Afghanistan, South Africa just this tournament an amazing double souper over that we saw, which included Stubbs hitting the last ball for six to take it to the souper over, and then David Miller hitting two sixers and then goerba Is hitting three sixes in a row in the second super rover.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you ever seen anything like that?
Speaker 3: I don't think a double no, that's that is worth recency bias, but it's definitely a worthy nomination to go to double super rovers free cricket, as they say, so a worthy nomination. But there's been quite a few over the time, and obviously I think has an Australia. What are the Australian ones? But I'm sure the listeners got involved in probably weren't favoring Australian performances in the past.
Speaker 2: No they weren't.
Speaker 1: But I mean, doesn't the super over when it goes to a second superover, doesn't make you wish that we had the countback still as it was in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: I mean that's the way to go, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well? The bowl off? Bring back the bowl off always.
Speaker 3: I remember watching as a kid and I was like, I want to be involved in on it, or maybe I don't because it'd be so embarrassing if you're missed.
Speaker 4: Can we bring that back? Maybe? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe if the super is tired, then we go to a ball of.
Speaker 3: Fall off back for the count back. Do you think the count back or maybe we just have an arm wrestle or two up.
Speaker 1: Kartik said that Koli is aded too not out versus Pakistan in Melbourne. I was lucky enough to be there for that game. It was an incredible, amazing atmosphere, one hundred thousand, very very loud ground. Balal said the twenty seventy to twenty World Cup Final his most heartbreaking moment as a Pakistan fan.
Speaker 2: Miss Burl Hark tried to ramp and got bught.
Speaker 1: Tommy Flanners said Wady and Stein at the twenty twenty one semi final versus Pakistan.
Speaker 2: Again another ramp. This one was successful for many way though, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: And then we had plenty of people saying remember the name Carlos Brathwaite. You've raising six six's and Mike Hussy's sixty not out of twenty four against Pakistan back in twenty ten.
Speaker 3: That's probably most, isn't it. I'm trying to think of any off the top of my head that I had the Stillness and Wide one, but it is pretty famous now going back five years, I can't think of too many more that capture the you know, capture the world audience, like you know, the six sixers, remember the name ones that live in folklore now.
Speaker 4: So a good list, very good list.
Speaker 2: Right, We're gonna take a short break.
Speaker 1: When we come back, let's talk about the straight T twenty World Cup and what went wrong. So it's been back to back losses Frustralia at the T twenty World Cup, which has seen them knocked out of the tournament. They fell to Zimbabwe by twenty three runs and then they lost to Schlanka by eight wickets. Only took four wickets across those two matches and the batting didn't quite click either, did it.
Speaker 4: Rich Oh.
Speaker 1: Although Mitch Marsh came back into this side for the SriLankan game in Pala Kelly and got put on one hundred run partnership with Travis Head. They were going at twelve runs and over at the start of that inning and things were looking pretty positive. But from there they lost a couple of clumps of wickets. They lost four wickets in five overs after that opening partnership and then lost five to seven at the end, and then it was on this Sanka master class with the bat, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: I think? Yeah? Disappointing to two losses in a row.
Speaker 3: If you look back to the Zimbabwe one, that's probably the nail in the coffin. Having to rely on beating Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka is always going to be tough, especially when you're defending in the jew So, as you said, the stuff you're talking about there, when you talk about teach winning cricket, you need the flip side of that to You need that stuff going well to win. So to finish an innings well with the bat and then flowing onto the bowling innings sounds obvious, but you need to be taking wickets. And was a four wickets in two games. I mean you're never gonna win. You're never gonna win games not taking wickets. So two different ways they lost the Zimbabwe game chasing different. It was a day game, so they're under some asking rate pressure on a a wicket that was slowing up. And then, as we just said, the Shrilankan game with a bit of due around trying to defend a score that should have arguably been forty or fifty runs higher, which who knows, may have not made a difference, but yeah, just so disappointing that that group will be hurting. The riding was probably somewhat on the wall after the Pakistan games. If we're looking if you're looking for answers now you go back to the lead in Yeah, and there's a lot of guys missing. But I feel like T twenty and especially from the bowling side of things, is such a hard game. You need your roles laid out, and the best teams I've ever seen and been in part of the bowling group had such clarity around what time we're going to bowl, who's going to bowl, when, what their plan is going to be. And that felt like from the outside looking at this team that they never really were able to get that sorted. And injuries obviously played a part, with Hazwood and Cumbs not being there too, but the guys who were selected were coming off the Big Bash.
Speaker 4: They'd been playing T twenty crickets, so there's no excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was going to ask, is the Big Bash, which had another great season, is that adequate preparation for a T twenty World Cup in foreign conditions or should there have been more of an emphasis to get all those players over to pack start for those two matches and then the warm up games.
Speaker 3: I think, well, there is always going to be the argument with the Big Bash. You want the guys playing the finals. We've seen instances in the past where guys have flown off to play like a one day series overseas and they're not playing Big Bash finals, and we want them playing Big Bash finals. But also we need both, I think, especially coming into a World Cup, and as you said, in foreign conditions that are always a challenge for an Australian team to play in. So I don't know what the answer is. Well, yeah, scheduling is always going to be tough. There's always so much content in the calendar. But I think that's where that's those three games in Pakistan, take the three losses out of it.
Speaker 4: I just don't think they were able to get their best team sorted.
Speaker 3: They had basically five or six guys leave after that Pakistan series, come back and play Shield cricket and all of a sudden, you know, you're into the thick of a World Cup.
Speaker 4: You're trying to qualify with guys that have had two.
Speaker 3: Or three weeks out of the game more in Tim David and Nathan Elison's case, even longer.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, the writing was on.
Speaker 3: The world You could kind of sense that things weren't going well, and then all of a sudden you have a really bad loss Zimbabwe and things you panic, don't you.
Speaker 4: So that just seems the way it's gone.
Speaker 3: And it's so disappointing because at their best, you know, their form in twenty twenty five was great leading into this and it's almost like that were over prepared.
Speaker 4: You know, they were ready for the World Cup in November last.
Speaker 3: Year, weren't they, And then they're kind of sitting around waiting and things just haven't gone well.
Speaker 4: So super disappointing.
Speaker 1: Well, everything in cricket's about timing, isn't it, And just felt like maybe they were just flying at the wrong point of the calendar. But on the bowling point of view. I mean you mentioned there's no Hazeler, there's no comments. Of course, Dudy injury starts retired, and then all the wickets in the past two games have come from Stuness and Green. Very unusual to see Ellis and Zampago without wickets.
Speaker 2: But then you've got your.
Speaker 1: Connolly's and your Bartlett was there and Cooneman as well, I think played that first game.
Speaker 2: So there just hasn't been the wickets.
Speaker 1: And you said you need to take wickets to win matches and win World Cups.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 3: And I think the Zampa ls part is big, But I think those two it at their best, are the defensive They're the defensive side of that bowling attack. If the team is the team he went out in the park, They're the two that are going to bring the They're not going to go for more than you know, in Ellis's case bowling the hard overs, but going for more than thirty five. Zampa's case is probably hardly ever going over thirty with the overseas bowls, and then you fit you're attacking around that guys who do get wickets. You know, we've again we've spoken about the Big three in the past, but to never taken for granted, and this just shows you know, when you haven't got Mitchell Stark there to take wickets with the new ball, Hazeswood doing the same impact coummens plugging holes around that it makes it really hard. And we've seen Zavia Barallett do it for the heat he had a bad game. Drshes comes in to play that same role, doesn't get it sworted and they go back to Barlow. It just makes it so hard. And again it just showed that there wasn't clarity at all with that bowling attack and it does leave a lot to do on Adam Zamper and Nathan Ellison's shoulders, and rightly or wrongly, they haven't performed the last two games.
Speaker 4: But again I don't think that was their role.
Speaker 3: Their role was to all the hardest overs, to be the hardest to hear, and then hopefully the guys around them kind of filled those holes. But yeah, they're all rounders. Off had to do some heavy lifting and it hasn't paid off.
Speaker 1: And then the big talking point ahead of the Shranker game was bringing in Steve Smith into the squad. Everybody was finally cheering because there was a lot of ground swell to get Smith in after his big, big Big after his big Big Bash campaign, and then they left him on the bench and they left out Matt Renshaw, who in the leading run scorer from the first two matches. It was obviously a team that wanted to stick to their guns, of the big hitting team that had been so successful over those past twelve months. But in the end it's sort of one of those decisions that you look and you say, well, maybe that was the wrong call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this hindsight, I definitely involved with that, isn't there When they picked the squad was the Big Bash, you know it when Smith was going nuts in the Big Bash again, so you know, timing probably didn't work out. I think the way they started with Abaut the other night, with Head and Marsh, that's the way they played in twenty twenty five, right, and that's the identity they set up him. They be coming in at four, Green at three, and then the all rounders through the middle order. So I don't think he can argue with that when things are going well. But when Steve's playing well in the Big Bash, they changed the squad with Matt Short dropping out of the squad pre real close to the World Cup, which showed they are open to making changes, and then with Hayzwood going down, they kind of waited the while to replace him and then replace him with Steve Smith, who doesn't end up playing it is. It does just show I don't think they knew how bad Mitch Marsh was going to be because Steve Smith has to open the batting if he's playing for Australia. You could argue in those conditions he can batman the laughter about him and his best in teach and he creators open the batting and that's where probably our two best batters, although Hetty hasn't been in the best of form for a little bit. So there's so many unknowns now and it'll be interesting to see this last game what they do, whether they do go the same again or whether they go we've got to start planning for the next World Cup because fortunately, unfortunately these things come around pretty quickly. So do you start planning and you know, pick an order that you think and you can't fly guys in for it, and you've got your squad, But do they start trying to change things up for the next edition, or do they just double down and finish the tournament as well as they can well.
Speaker 1: So rare for Australia to play a dead rubber at a global tournament.
Speaker 2: But what would you do if you're in the selector seat? Who are you picking?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't know, because obviously again you need I mean, Martian Head will be there in two years time. Mitch is getting older now, but again he's more. He's a better only now, so they're going to age. Will age fine? Will Steve smith be there in two years time? You could probably say you will. I know he wants to get to the Olympics, doesn't he? So all of a sudden, you've got three guys in that top two. Can you find a way to get Smithy a game in a different role and he can play in the in the future. Ren Shaw's the one that you know he had to have been playing the other night. I think just his adaptability. He's going to play a lot more in the next he'll be at that World Cup, but he's got to play a lot. He'll basically play all the way through now to that next World Cup and make his position his own. But he was the standout better that Yeah, he was in the toughest position to Bart in the middle order, and he's just shown how much his game has grown. So yeah, for him not to play that night, was he question that? Now again it's in hindsight, but it didn't make any sense at the time, And the selectors are going to have to own that, and I'm sure they will. They'll come out and explain their thought process and we'll judge them on that, and obviously they know that. But yeah, there's so many questions going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course we're in Australia lose, you know, we want to pick apart all the decisions that these selectors have made a lot of great calls over the last twelve twenty four months, haven't they, even with the ashes and those sorts of things. Do you think though, we're at a time where there's all these and this isn't a selector based vertion, but with all the injuries around the fast bowlers and players in general. Now with obviously Tim David doing that hamstring and coming back, but Hazer would commins then the young guys Beard Mean and Viidler, Lance Morris and Aaron Hardy, all these other guys, like is there too much cricket or are we do we need to look at how we're managing the most important players, which are fast bowls.
Speaker 3: In other cases, is there too much cricket? There's a lot, isn't that? And you would know from covering the game like you can't. You almost can't keep up with everything that's going on across obviously both male and female. But it just shows how hard it is for a management to manage those guys. And again we're talking about three of the best fast balls that we've ever produced and how much cricket they've played. So selectors, backroom staff, coaches, their plan for those guys over the last five years has been massive tick and unfortunately Starky probably retired at the worst possible time for.
Speaker 4: Us into joining cregut. Our selfish back a little sos.
Speaker 3: Michael Jordan out of retirement, but I think he's enjoying his time, his downtime. So again, you can't rely on those guys forevery when we spoke about this month ago. But now the question is going to be on the guys in between those twenty five to thirty year olds, who's going to take yourpportunity? And that's that's a pleasing thing as a selector and as a coaching group. You've got you know, you're going to see in the next World Cup edition, who's going to you know, who's going to put their hands up and be the next guy for Australia.
Speaker 4: And there's guys in the early twenties.
Speaker 3: But I don't think he can rely on those guys yet because they're missing, you know, Beard Minute is injured again. Unfortunately Vidler hasn't played it all this season. And then there's that good nineteen's crop that are coming through, but you can't really pencil them in for a World Cup in two years time. So it's that twenty five thirty year olds. Ji Richardson's the one that I think his white bull stuff has gone under the radar because he's put such an emphasis on Test cricket and getting back fifth for that. But I think if he's playing Test Creed and Forte Kriger, he'll be he'll be ready and I think his white bull skills are as good as anyone in Australia. So I think he's the one that really needs to take on that mental piece, you know, take on that I'm going to lead this bowling attack going forward into twenty cricket and hopefully Dayes would still around two years time, but again we can't bank on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe, I like that he hasn't sort of been in there one day reckoning for a while as he but definitely put his name down and now I know t twenty cricket hasn't really been a focus or it hasn't seemed like a focus for a straining cricket. Obviously the focus on the ashes and Test cricket, which makes sense. But then maybe you can speak to this from your own career having to bounce between formats. Do we need to get to a point where we are just having players play one format? Is it too difficult to go between the two and dominate at both? Do you need to just delineate the two and really focus it on what you're good at.
Speaker 3: I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, because I really had a good format.
Speaker 1: But you had a career or a part of your career where you were bouncing between red.
Speaker 3: Ball and I think the cricket's different though, because it is such a laid out schedule now where it is mainly shield cricket. You played the odd one day and then it's Big Bash exclusively, whereas these test guys, these all format guys are bouncing all and they are overseas doing it, they're coming back like there's a lot going on. I think ideally the answer would be yes. But I think at the end of the day, especially World Cups, you want your best team. You're always going to pick your best team, and if it's a guy who's played in the ashes, just gone and so be it. And I always felt, you know, being behind those big guys, always felt like, oh, in these you know, I was always like T twenty specialists, you know, and whenever things would go wrong and badly, people would suggest that. But then when you know, twenty twenty one came around and they led us to a World Cup win, there's no there's no argument about that. You know, they're our best bowlers no matter what format. So again, I think you want as many bowlers as possible to pick from and all formats of the game that are bowling well and playing well and upskilling. And that's the answer. So it's never going to be a perfect science. It's never going to be one or the other. And I don't think you want that either. Like you look at other countries that they're in the same boat. They're bowling attacks. You know, England, they've got guys who just played in the Ashes that are playing in the T twenty World Cup and doing well.
Speaker 4: So it's just everyone's in the same boat. Really.
Speaker 3: You just got to hope you've lucky that you get generational quicks but also some back up depth behind them that fill in those roles in the lead ups to World Cups, and then when you get your World Cup, you know they're going to be verry rapped them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Australia seem to have the test cricket stuff pretty well worked out. Whenever a one day World Cup comes around, they're generally very competitive. Do we need to focus more on the T twenty stuff or is that just is it just the afterthoughts?
Speaker 3: But again I think this is hindsight, and I think this is because things didn't go well that we're saying that. I think we have focused on it, like our twenty twenty five form. Again, we're sitting here saying they looked ready to go to win a World Cup and then things haven't gone well since then. So I think it's it's very in the moment now that we're saying that that we haven't focused on T twenty cricket.
Speaker 4: I think we have.
Speaker 3: I don't think those guys Andrew McDonald will come out and say that they have. But you know, things haven't gone to plan, and that's the way it goes sometimes, like important players got injured, whether or not they didn't even go over in the case of Hazwood and Cummins, but also Ellis and David, their leadings were They're two very important players and their leadings were basically, you know, non existent. So you take four of the real, real dependable guys in T twenty cricket out of your team, it's going to be hard. So I think they had their eggs in the T twenty basket after the ashes.
Speaker 4: And it's a World Cup.
Speaker 3: We've got a proud history in World Cups, and we don't ever go they think we're not going to win it, So that's why it is so disappointing. But the narrative that we don't care about T twenty is very wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: It obviously was a disappointing result in Colombo against Zimbabwe for Australia, but a golden day for Zimbabwe quick and we've also had some other golden moments throughout this tournament so far, one of my favorites being Italy beating the poul by ten wickets. We had the Mosca brothers from Sydney Gray Cricket getting the job done by themselves. Ben Minenti absolutely killing it on the international stage, which is great to see. He's actually the leading run scorer by all Australians at the tournament, so that's great from Ben.
Speaker 4: Can we draft him into our team for the last.
Speaker 2: Game maybe a tree?
Speaker 1: And then Italy also took England all the way as well, so they've shown some really good science. India took care of Pakistan. We touched on that double souper over. I must admit at the start of the tournament, I wasn't really looking that much forward to it. But now that the games have started and we've had some great matches, like I am fully invested in this tournament.
Speaker 3: And I think again the benefit of having those associate nations or the lower seeded nations, you know, that's the benefit. Like there's games we spoke last week how I think Nepal pushed England, USA pushed India like it just shows on and Zimbabwe betting Australia shows in the right conditions, the right circumstances, it's a competitive environment and yeah, Italy, like it's great seeing these stories and it is such a small like it's a week and a half, two weeks of cricket before the Super Eats start and it gets really serious. But it's great to see. You know, you've got more players involved, you've got storylines everywhere, you've got extra kids.
Speaker 4: We love the World Cup kids.
Speaker 3: But it's just again it is more content, but it's more opportunity for players to put their names up in lights. You know, Ben Menenti making sixty off twenty balls against England, brilliant, Like, that's incredible, he's struck it, you know, two hundred and fifty against Yeah, Rush, I suppose. So we're always going to love stories like that. So and again, growing up as a kid, I always remember Zimbabwe being at World Cups, the Flower Brothers, you know, Andy Blin, like they used to tour Australian Test cricket.
Speaker 4: We want that again.
Speaker 3: We want as many countries involved as possibly. We want to grow the game and have it being bigger, bigger than ever. So yeah, I'm I'm a fan. Of this format. But again for people who do follow the game and cover it every night, it's probably make sure job a lot, a lot harder having to follow everything.
Speaker 4: That's going on as well.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is maybe down the track we could be looking at it one day tour to Italy or something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, no one's going to say no to that, are they. Well, it used to be what they wanted to. I remember the guys used to talk about one of like a euro Bucks trips. It'd be like Amsterdam, Dublin and then Edin ruff for Scotland. You know, you get that trifector and it's almost like bring your best mates with the If one of them is getting engaged, come along.
Speaker 4: We'll have a little Bucks weekend.
Speaker 3: So yeah, again, if you can get those guys back, we'll go to Milan for talking like I'm a player, maybe have to get the coaching stuff.
Speaker 4: Well we can go on there.
Speaker 3: You go on assignment as a journalist definitely gets Milan. I think that they're talking Milan Florence maybe Rome and Rome. I think they're dust bowls there. So again we've got to start planning.
Speaker 1: Five match to absolutely, yeah, and West Indies India, South Africa, Srilanka. At the time of recording, all those teams undefeated. Who's going to win this tournament won't be Australia.
Speaker 4: Who's going to well?
Speaker 3: I think in those conditions in you are going to be hard. But I like South Africa. I think again. Okay, they played offrom the final, didn't they in the last? So I think they're coming again off the back of winning the World Test Championship as well.
Speaker 4: I like their team.
Speaker 3: I think they got the batting and the bowling down pat To this point, things are going well, so I think they'll be a worthy.
Speaker 4: Challenger of India.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Well, West Indy started the last tournament really well as well. That they're at home, they sort of crumbled a bit at the end of the tournament. I think that might happen again to them. Unfortunately Sri Lanka. I have a sneaky suspicion they could challenge a few sides, maybe cause an upset or two first down the track. Things will change obviously when we get to Indian conditions. But I like it there squad. I like who they've got in there at the minute, and like Sath Joy three and charge of them as well.
Speaker 2: It's another great name and good return to form for them. Absolutely, so watch out for the Lancans.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it is it is important to know the Indian factor, the conditions like it does play a part chasing under in the jew that kind of thing. So you talk about the West Indies could fall away, but if they're in the position where they're chasing a you know, one seventy under Lights with their batting order, with poor and flying you know that kind of thing, then you'd never rule them out. So T twenty cricket is that way that it is going to be hard to pick a winner. India do look pretty hard to beat, but again, if you get them in the right conditions, anyone can do.
Speaker 1: It's possible that these Indian conditions might suit the West in these more than the West Indian conditions suited their team two years ago, isn't it? So all comes down to where they're playing, and I guess who wins the toss is so crucial in.
Speaker 2: India, Well, isn't it exactly? All Right?
Speaker 1: Let's move on to the women's cricket side of things. The Scoop podcast has just restarted up as well. So if you want to get the inside scoop from Rana Hussein and Molly Strano, head over there now just search for the Scoop Cricket podcast. But the Aussie women, they had a loss in their opening tea twenty unfortunately the rain came down in Sydney and they weren't probably quite at their best. But we did have rich Oh some medal winners two announce throughout the week. Unfortunately we're not having this year the presentation night of Alan Border Medal Blenda Clark Award, which you might be able to share some stories from your experiences of going.
Speaker 2: To those events.
Speaker 1: But we did have Annabelle Stublind win her second back to back Blenda Clark Award for the best women's cricketer in the country. Beth Mooney won the T twenty player for the fourth time, and the one day player also went Annabelle Sublan. So congratulations to those two. They're just stars of the game at the minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 3: Annabel's kind of gone to another level, hasn't she since well Louis Cameron said she was going to be the breakout player going back a few months, so he's probably sitting in drinking.
Speaker 2: Pretty happy.
Speaker 4: He's pretty happy with with what went on.
Speaker 3: So yeah, in terms of their content going forward, obviously disappointing. It's been a disappointing week for Arian Krigets. It's nice to have some awards to definitely think about and hopefully they bounce back and get back into the series against India.
Speaker 1: The domestic Player of the Year was Nicola Carey. She's been incredible for the Hurricanes and Tasmania and she's a special guest on this week's Scoop episode. So jump over there if you want to have to listen to Nick and the rest of the story and the women's side of the game. So we'll take a quick braag will come back with the Big Four, answer them, listen to questions for it.
Speaker 4: Jo.
Speaker 1: Okay, Richard, it's time for the Big Four. We debuted this segment last week. I'm still not totally solid on the name, but you gave us your top four associate players of all time. Think Dirk Nana snuck in there at the end, didn't he?
Speaker 4: But that was Captain's cool from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this week you're gonna be captain and okay, I'm going to list off. But today's topic is Steve Smith mannerisms because I thought him coming back into the squad during the week. Now, I was full of hope and optimism and he was back in the scored Australia. They're still going to qualify. It didn't matter that they lost Zimbabwe anyway. We get here now and we know what we know. But I'm still going to stick to this topic. Steve Smith mannerisms. The Top four or the Big four. We'll so we start with number four and it is no run. This sort of originated a few years ago and he doesn't really done it a lot recently. But and then I think Minus took it to another level. But block the ball, no run, nice and loud at the bowler.
Speaker 2: That's my number one because that's a classic, isn't it.
Speaker 4: So that's the number one.
Speaker 2: Oh that's my number four? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it is a classic classic.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: He should have trademarked it because, like you said, some other guys, it's kids are saying it now, everyone's saying.
Speaker 4: It, so he should have put the little scene next to him. But very very iconic Smith call.
Speaker 2: Imagine if he could get royalties for every time it's not sure.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. I'm not sure he needs it. He's fine.
Speaker 1: At number three is his umpiring. When he gets struck on the pad, he often gives you, umpire a little signal, a little helpful. That's going to miss, that's going to be too high. I think he does it subconsciously. I'm not even sure he's aware that he does it these days. But he gets struck and he's already deciding that too high. Forget about it. And I know that Louis Cameron, and now another mention for Luis.
Speaker 2: He hates it.
Speaker 1: He hates when the batter is trying to influence the umpire's decision. And you might have some thoughts about that being a form of fast by yourself. You probably wouldn't have liked it or appreciate it.
Speaker 4: He was never out, even when it was like three reds it come the rooms. Never out.
Speaker 3: So again, I don't think he knows he's doing. It's almost muscle memories. But he's going to make a great umpire. So once he does retire.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: Look for him getting fast tracked into umpire and can't wait to see it's going to be great.
Speaker 1: At number two, I've got Steve's extravagant leaves. You know, sometimes it'll be at going down the league side and he'll still put the bat all the way in the air as if to say, I'm not an we're going to think about touching that. Yeah, bowllet into my off stump or at least on the stumps, because that's ridiculous. And so he does that, he gets to go and I think when the extravagant leaves are really flying, that's when you know he's in the zone and he's really got it.
Speaker 4: Well, we spoke about that pre ashes that that's in the Shill game.
Speaker 3: He was up and about with his mannerisms, which is always a good sign, and it was wasn't it the way he performed?
Speaker 4: So I thought that would be number one for sure, did you Yeah, I thought that would be number one.
Speaker 2: Well, number one.
Speaker 1: It's only come to light this summer, even though there is footage of him.
Speaker 2: Doing it for years prior. But it's the hand signal, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's the little cupped hand and maybe a U shape that he's making. He claims it's not anything to do with the bowler. It's more where his hand is on the bat and He's always spoken about finding his hands, isn't he When he's found his hands, that's when it works.
Speaker 2: But it's the sea.
Speaker 1: Now we see kids when they hit the power surge button, they're doing the sea. We see my Loo cricket kids, they're doing it. It's part of meme culture out of the sea. So again he's just influential and it's this new mannerism that we love and hopefully.
Speaker 4: It continues well.
Speaker 3: Jake Weatherorld had an interesting take on it as well, the origins of that hand signal going back to the South Stralian dressing room. Yeah, that's right, whether or not that is the same. But I know Joffre did it the other night at the World Cup, so did he miss? I actually cop that from Smithy, didn't he that night? That's right at the game too fast champion, when there's nothing going on. He just went out the other day. Daniel Drew actually, who is rumored to be the origin, the originator of that hand signal, put it on his Instagram. So I don't know, we need to do we need to delve into this more.
Speaker 1: I think we do, because so Jake on the Unplayable podcast before the Adelaide Test told us that was a Daniel Drew signal for have a spell, champ or have a rest. Can you shed any light onto that? Inside the South Australia dressing.
Speaker 3: Room, it was I was back end of my career there being a a lot older. I do remember guys doing that to each other, but again being older, I was not paying any attention to what the young kids were doing. But yeah, it was. It was definitely a thing. And then it was in Club Creed as well. Guys were doing that to each other all the time.
Speaker 2: So and everybody knew that man have a spec.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like aunt a strange thing.
Speaker 3: Jake Frais mcgurth does it quite a lot and says that quite a lot too to the bowler.
Speaker 4: No, it's more of phil.
Speaker 3: They say it to each other if someone says something stupid though, right, that's how they kind of pin them down.
Speaker 1: So is it just it could have been a coincidence that these two things have merged, and.
Speaker 3: I think so, But I think Smithy, knowing Smithy, would have put a cricket spin on it, and then it would have been to do with his hands, fining his hands. He saw Sydney smash, he hit that one out of the ground or on the roof and then did that in the dressing room or whatever. So knowing Smithy, he would have no idea what it actually meant originally, and he would have been like he would have been tapping his bat look in his hand. It would have been like, oh, that's the same signal, and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. The rest is history there.
Speaker 2: So a lot of people thought Jake might have been making up, but there's a lot of hard Yeah. I think it is also truth to what's Steve stay.
Speaker 3: Actually, you see Steve Smith playing live golf in the round in the lead up to live Golf, I.
Speaker 2: Saw a little bit of inst see the mannerisms.
Speaker 4: They translate to golf. So after we hit a shot, he would.
Speaker 3: Which which is my favorite mannerism, when he yes, when one bounces a bit more than a shure, if it seems a bit more than it should, it's always that and he did it. He did it when we played warm up soccer volleyball for six if one bounced a bit much, he would do the same like that. He's done that since he was like sixteen at the Academy.
Speaker 4: I remember him doing that.
Speaker 3: So that's worthy mentioned for me as Captain nice a number number five. I can't take the mannerisms out of Steve Smith exactly. It translates all borders, all sports and again will be a great umpire.
Speaker 1: If we've missed any let us know podcasts at crickets dot com dot you. That's the email address to get in touch with, or the cricket dot com dot you Instagram page. Joe, let's go around the grounds quickly. The Shepherd Shield, of course is underway again round eight and there have been some interesting scores so far. We are talking mid round so this will date fairly quickly, but hundreds to Sam Harper and Will Sutherland and a ninety nine to Sam Fanning. Over in the West, things are looking pretty good for batting over there. It's the only place in the country where runs are flowing.
Speaker 3: It's the only place everywhere else everyone's winning the toss bowling, aren't they on green ones again? So Sam Harper interesting opening the batting and playing the same way that he's kind of just flowed from the Big Bash and taking it on, striking it well over one hundred. So he's in some form and coming to the right age of his career where you start to see a really good putch of performance. So Victoria look amazing. Don't know, they're starting to really break away. They had a loss last week, but they look like well and truly establishing themselves as the team to beat and having a home final.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be who can challenge them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even that loss last week, Even with that loss, they've still got a big buffer on the second place, and that was without Scott Boland, Will Sutherland, without Matt Short, without Oly Peak, and they brought all those fallback into this round. Amazing depth that they've got there at the minute. Campbell Thompson is one who made his debut for South Australia this round. Left armor looked very good on a yeah, sure it was a helpful wicket up at the Gabba, but had Ozma Quadra in a lot of trouble early on. It took a couple of wickets as well, so great science for him. We've got some runs from the Shield veterans Jake Lehman and Jimmy Pearson.
Speaker 2: G They're so reliable, aren't they. They get runs no matter the situation.
Speaker 3: Well, so handy coming in that middle order when teams are under the palm like to have that guy who's always just going to find a way to get a seventy Jimmy Pearson. I think every time I ever played him in child cricket, he would always do that, would never miss out.
Speaker 4: Only if they were going well, he'd miss out.
Speaker 3: I swear he's that guy who just back against the wall. Typical Queenslander, isn't He just never never, never says die. So that's going to be again, like you say, this will date, but it's going to be an interesting end to that game with again, as we say, who's challenging for second Queensland look like they could, but that that result is going to really dictate that definitely.
Speaker 1: And for South Australia five wickets who all around it, Liam Scots he's had another good yep, another tick to his name. He's had a great season and did it with the bat as well for the Strikers in the big bat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's been the Summer of Scotty for you and for him and for South Australia and the Strikers. So he's really put his name up in lights heading forward and as we say, as we were talking about before with Australia going forward in White Bull cricket. I know there's some good all arounders in terms of you know, Cam Green's probably the same age, but you know there's some other guys that are aging now. So for someone like that to be performing in the Big Bash under crowd pressure and TV pressure and now going back to Shield crege and just really honing his craft, he is great to see. So, yeah, he's going to be one of those guys who has a big future for Australia.
Speaker 2: And New South Wales.
Speaker 1: They're in a good position against Tasmania and New South Wales can still make the final as well.
Speaker 2: They've sacked their coach, Greg Sheppard.
Speaker 1: He's going to coach until the end of the season and so maybe there's a bit more on the line for him and his charges.
Speaker 2: This season. Liam Hatcher took five in the first things.
Speaker 1: He's now the leading we could take it in this year Chef Goodchield at twenty nine and he's having a career best season, isn't.
Speaker 4: He He is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he interestingly didn't play a lot in the Big Bush. I've always been a fan of yours. I just think he comes He's one of those guys who just runs in the same pace all day bowls, the same pace, real big heart, flat wickets all the same. He would just never go away. So yeah, worthy to be at the top of the wickets and interesting. Jackson Byrd's hundredth games for Tasmania as well, so shout out to him playing against his first date but also his former states.
Speaker 4: It's funny how things work out.
Speaker 3: So he'll be looking to get in the wickets and get his Tazzi team back into interaction.
Speaker 1: Absolutely congratulations to Jackson Bird, one of the great servants of Sheffield child cricket. So hopefully there's going to be a day where he's not running in from at balret Voval and it's not just is there though, it.
Speaker 3: Won't feel right if there is a day with forever I'm being thirty five, I get out of bed sore. I don't know how you know him. Peter Siddle, this guy, I don't know how they do it. Sis is over forty now, isn't he is? He's not playing shield cricket, but he's still bowling one hundred footy. I couldn't do that, So heads off to those guys. But Jackson Burd I just feel like he's just going to play till these eighties, he's going to run him from that same end and just plug away, and why not?
Speaker 4: Why not do it exactly?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We're going to finish with a couple of questions for your rich Oh we've got one from a listener and one from me. Because you've eased into retirement, we're not just going to let you off the hook.
Speaker 2: Okay, that easily.
Speaker 1: So I want to maybe drill down into a certain aspect of your career each week, and for this week, I want to look at what was the biggest six you were hit for?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, that's my question for you.
Speaker 4: Do you want to drill down into my career? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well how long we got because again, this is pretty big catalog.
Speaker 2: There must be one or two.
Speaker 3: There's definitely one or two come to mind. I think I've told one before about Rohu Chama as indoor.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know if we have, didn't we So.
Speaker 3: Playing in indoor the city pull shot out of the ground, small ground, but he hit it out of the ground, and the.
Speaker 4: Boys like, he just hit you outdoor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 4: That's that sticks.
Speaker 3: That's a classic. It was a classic. And that ball come back out of the ground.
Speaker 4: He charged.
Speaker 3: I dug it in and he just wrote it chum a pool shot. Just all the stars aligne. It was just perfect timing. So I dropped the cap. Well, I wasn't wearing a capture.
Speaker 4: I was bowling.
Speaker 2: But I hats off to him with no getting hit for six.
Speaker 4: But he did that to me.
Speaker 3: Plenty of times again, lots of people have. The other one is Martin gup to at Auckland at eden Park.
Speaker 2: That's a small ground too.
Speaker 3: It is, but he again, they're not just hitting me over the over into the first right, they're hitting me out of the ground, so right, yeah, straight hit, not big but basically the top of eden Park Stadium which is high bang into that.
Speaker 1: So wow, were you playing in that game at eden Park where Australia chased down two hundred and sixty or whatever.
Speaker 4: It was forty five? Was were you there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, great game, great game forgot him in.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah I played that so yeah, numerous times been hit for big ones. Chris Gale at Bangalore remember hit me for austraight one hit kind of the corrugated iron off the and it came off right back onto the field. No, just straight down not the ball, the steel around the ground. The sign that hit fell. It was almost like it ruined the stadium. That's a danger for the crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 3: Where the side screen was, so luckily no one was there, but it was literally traceable.
Speaker 4: It's straight into the you know the what is it?
Speaker 2: What do we call it here in Australia sign agel?
Speaker 4: No, you know the it's like what we put in our rooms.
Speaker 2: I can't even think color bond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, color bond than straight down. So it would have hurt someone if it fell on them. Yeah, they're probably three that stand out. But again I've got a law.
Speaker 1: Well, at least there's no travelers there, like you've got Sharma, Gayale and Guptil.
Speaker 2: There three of the big names of big hitters.
Speaker 3: So there's been there's been tailings that have got me so well, we don't have to doubt. We won't go into that, not today.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, And now the question that we've got from Brady in Van Dua. He says, Richo, what is the most embarrassing moment of your career and why was it the mist runout versus Tasmania?
Speaker 4: Well, do I need to do? I need to divulge in.
Speaker 2: Some people won't know the story.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a famous story.
Speaker 3: It's quite quite high on the YouTube algorithm if you put my name in. But look, I'll go through what I felt at the time and you can you can judge. So beautiful Yorka. That's probably the most important piece of the story. It was great Yorker. It was last over the game. I think they needed eight beautiful Yorker. Ben Hilfanaws just chunked it back to me and my follow through Ben Laughlin turns out was started running as if it was a single and then gave up started walking.
Speaker 4: To the change room. I picked the ball up.
Speaker 3: I think I turned the opposite way to Ben, so I didn't know that he was walking off the ground. I thought it was under a bit of runout pressure under arm, which was never a strength of mind knowing just a training where we used to do under armed drills.
Speaker 4: Never was good.
Speaker 2: Clipped leg so it's hit the starm.
Speaker 3: I will argue that till the day I die, and I want some forensics on zoom in. But it clipped leg right, deviated down to long on for one balls didn't come off.
Speaker 4: So when I say it clipped it must have been the smallest.
Speaker 2: But you do see that, don't you these days when the all consume parts.
Speaker 4: Are you making me feel better?
Speaker 3: Because I was about that far away from the stumps, not maybe a meet, we're the danger's own kind of area, right, So I thought it was under more pressure than what I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's that's basically harder to miss than to hit, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, but again not a strength of my game. Anyone out there. We don't practice under especially under pressure. Ever, it's not an area of our game.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure you would have gone on to win the game Regardland.
Speaker 3: No, we lost, So that's also why, Yeah, that's why it starts so embarrassing moments if everyone drops catches everyone, but no, not many people misrunouts from that close with three stumps that in the last over a game then going to lose.
Speaker 4: But it was, it was. It was a one day game against Tasmania at Bankstown.
Speaker 3: So I think we should close the record on that and burn that record and never talk about it again because what a pointless game.
Speaker 4: Again, now I'm retired, I can say, yeah, that's right, pointless.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good way to end.
Speaker 3: It's been great. Thanks for bringing both those those two segments up. It's always nice to talk about my old cricketing career.
Speaker 1: This has been the Unplayable podcast, brought to you by a quantest We'll chat to you next week.
Speaker 4: Thanks Josh,