Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for people who don't want to go broke over the Christmas period him and as always I'm joined by Victoria Divine hi Ve.
Speaker 4: Hello, we get to talk about Christmas. I love Christmas. I'm so excited about this episode.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 2: Favorite thing about Christmas. I think it's just like the vibe, like the atmosphere, the lights, the carols, the smells of spices, that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I am obsessed with Christmas, not as much as miss Jessicci. If you guys are following her on Instagram. You know, she's borderline psychotic on Christmas. Like we're talking start of November and she's like, well, that's when the Christmas tree comes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's okay.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: I did have a let's call it a heated argument with my husband the other day because I saw Jess putting up her tree and I was like, that looks like fun. And all of my social media content has now started to become very christmasy because Halloween's over, right, of course.
Speaker 2: And I said to my husband, we.
Speaker 4: Should put our tree up because we've got a new one that we got last year that we couldn't put up, so it's sat in the box for like more than twelve months. I said, we can put it up, and he's like, no, absolutely, we can't. I was like, excuse me, are you the Grinch? Ye ruined Christmas? And it's not even December, and he's like, that's the point, it's not even December.
Speaker 2: It's like, I will help you.
Speaker 4: I will decorate the whole house on the first of December. And I was like, but honey, it's the first of November, Like we could just do it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it doesn't give you much time to have any Christmas joy. Twenty five days and it's sober exactly, I need two months of joy. I don't like it. I don't like stend that joy. You really can flag.
Speaker 4: Anyway, let's get into the episode. Not a counseling session or my marriage. I want to talk about Christmas, but also I want to talk about the concept of not going into debt around Christmas, because as much as we are full of festive cheer, I think that it can also ring a lot of bells in a lot of people's heads of going Ah, that sounds stressful, that sounds expensive, That does not sound like anything I want to do.
Speaker 2: How did it come up so quickly again in this year? Yes, it can be very anxiety inducing one it's just meant to be joyful. But later on in the show, we are going to talk about some cheap, inexpensive, and sometimes free gift ideas that I'm the gift for. Yeah, you gift your partner, yourself. You're like totally. Your present is my presence. I'm going to be present with you today and this is my gift. You are welcome, and that is free. You've got to be grateful because it's a gift. First, I wanted to know how expensive this time of year truly is? Truly speno? Are you ready? I'm kind of nervous. I've collected the stats. Thankfully, these stats won't apply to you personally, but as a collective. So it's obviously no.
Speaker 4: Surprise that this time of year is arguably the most expensive time of year for everybody. The Australian Retailers Association and Roy Morgan, who do a whole heap of research, predict that get this, sixty six point eight billion no dollars will be spent in the lead up to Christmas from November to the twenty fourth of December.
Speaker 2: Whoa billion? Is that just in Australia? Oh yep, that's the Australian No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're just really spent happy during this period of time.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is that just Christmas? Gibts?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: Lots?
Speaker 4: It's like the whole festive period, right, So, like it's everything in that holiday break. So like let's say, sure, it's presence, it's food for Christmas Day, it's all the other Christmas celebrations, and it's also travel. I'm very lucky that my family are like, oh, don't travel, that's fine. But some of my friends are like, all right, so we've got, you know, breakfast in Geelong, We've got lunch on the morning to Peninsula and then we have to drive to the Yarra Valley for dinner.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like, that does not sound like a relaxing Christmas.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure you're super happy to see all of the people that you love.
Speaker 2: But like, oh my gosh, think of the petrol costs? Bad? Yeah, seriously are they adding that to the sixty six billion?
Speaker 4: Wild, isn't it. So let's break it down even further. The average Australian is going to spend fourteen hundred and seventy nine dollars this Christmas period, So imagine your usual monthly expenses and now add basically fifteen hundred bucks on top of that. It's absolutely no wonder that people go into crippling debt.
Speaker 2: During this period of time. Yeah, that's very stressful. There is a lot of money to be spending for one day, really, but one day.
Speaker 4: Like I totally get, it's like a month of festive cheer. But it's all of those little things that creep up because you know, if you and I sit down, Beck, I'd be like, how much you're spending?
Speaker 2: Beck, You'd be like, oh, they not that much.
Speaker 4: I don't reckon, I reckon. You'd list off a few gifts that you want to buy, like off the top of your head. But what you're not factoring in is the additional drinks for Christmas, the additional festive activities that you're going to do, you know, the travel to get to and from places, those things where you're like, I don't know if you've done this before, but I definitely have done this before. You get invited to someone's house for like, oh, come over for some crissy drinks and you're like, oh, I'd love to do that, and then you like freak out on the way there.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh my god, I'm turning up empty handed.
Speaker 4: So you like, pop us the bottle shop, pick up all the why and maybe a box of favorites.
Speaker 2: And why are favorites so expensive nowadays? Well that's the question that plagues me daily. It does mean too, because they took all the good chocolates out. Now they charge more. No, we see what we're doing. I see what you're doing. I see you. I don't respect it. Don't like it, but VI, what is it an average Australian, Like, am I going to be spending this much? Or is it like you know, someone with kids? Or what does the average Australian look like.
Speaker 4: That's actually a really good question to contextualize it. So when we talk about an average, obviously I'll break it down further, but essentially an average is when you take every single person spending in the country over the Christmas period and then you divide it by the number of people.
Speaker 2: In that cohort.
Speaker 4: So in that cohort, you could have people who literally spend nothing because they might not celebrate Christmas due to religion or personal beliefs.
Speaker 2: Sure, all the way up to.
Speaker 4: Millionaire families who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on Christmas. Right, So we need to contextualize the fact that that doesn't mean that you personally might.
Speaker 2: Spend fifteen hundred bucks.
Speaker 4: But I feel like that's actually a really normal number at Christmas time because once everything adds up, like I already know that in my head, I've worked it out. My parents leave about an hour and ten, an hour and fifteen away from me, the petrol back and forth, because I know that I can't be there every day, and you know I've got some.
Speaker 2: Work during that period of time.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna spend so much more on petrol, Like I reckon, we're going to budget an extra four hundred dollars over the month of December, just like traveling to and from different places, and like my family's based in a radius of like an hour drive.
Speaker 2: Sure that's a lot of money. Yes, that's just petrol. Especially now for some reason, the petrol pristers aren't going down. But that's the conversation for another time exactly.
Speaker 4: So it might not cost you that. But if we look deeper into those statistics, right, and we get different cohorts of people and go, all right, well, bear, how much does a millennial spend?
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure you're a gen z hokung summer all the young ones.
Speaker 2: Are gen z these days. I'm millennial too. No you're not, aren't you? Like twelve? I wish I was right. Well, us millennials, it's more expensive. You're going to issh your agen z Okay, we are predicted to spend the most this Christmas. We are spending on average nineteen hundred and twenty four dollars. Whoa, that's two grand. That's the truck to Bali babe, what the heck? Yeah, you do so much with that.
Speaker 4: Gen Z's they're a lot more frugal. They're going to spend about one and twenty three dollars this season.
Speaker 2: I guess it makes sense because you know, you don't have as many responsibilities. Maybe you're smarter with your money. Maybe you're smarter with your money. Maybe you're just a lot smarter than we are. That's probably what it is. But as a millennial, it doesn't really look great for either of us. But I wonder is this more because of the cost of living crisis or is it because of other reasons, like how much we're spending? Yeah, Like are we spending more because of that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Honestly, the overall spend is marginally higher than it was last year, but there are a few interesting changes to the stats, right, Yeah, so it's predicted that the spending hospitality, household goods, and clothing is actually going to drop in comparison to last year.
Speaker 2: It kind of makes sense because if you've had.
Speaker 4: A bit of a hard year, Beck, you're going to go, well, let's not go out to that fancy restaurant. How about you just come over and I'll make a pasta or you know, you're going to spend less on the gifts that you're giving, which is usually household goods, let's be honest, and clothing and shoes and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But there is.
Speaker 4: Going to be a huge rise in a spend of food and at department stores. So you could interpret that honestly however you like. But it seems like we're skimping out on things for ourselves in order to put food on the Christmas table this year and buy gifts for others, which I think it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of wholesome.
Speaker 4: It's kind of sad that it's related to the cost of living, but like, let's just reframe it.
Speaker 2: We're just more generous and kind this year. Sure, that's a very wholesome way to look at it. But those are interesting SATs and especially about the food.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're going to cut back on going out for drinks, We're going to cut back on going out for dinner, but at the end of the day, you might invite a few more people round to Chrissy dinner and you know, host at home. So the supermarkets are going to rake it in. I mean, we've got a lot to say on the price gouging that they're doing at the moment with their billion dollar profits.
Speaker 2: But that's a conversation for another day. Don't get us stuck. But I know that our weekly shops are costing more now. It's nice to think that maybe more people will opt to have some of their Christmas celebrations at home rather than at a restaurant or a pub. But I guess that's why the food cost is up this year. It also kind of sounds like a lot of spending is due to like decking the halls and like getting your house nice and pretty for Christmas. I mean, you know when you were little and your mum would be like, Beck, we have food at home? Yeah? Beck, you have Christmas decorations from last year, use them. I don't want to use Have you seen the Kmart range? Like, are you joking? They've done rainbow? Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm going to do an entirely rainbow Christmas tree on a budget because obviously it's KMA and the boxes are like twelve dollars. Honestly, it's just a no brainer, Just no twelve bucks on a whole heap of colored bullballs old only use one time during the exactly and then next year I need a different theme. But what you're saying is absolutely true.
Speaker 2: There is I guess, a lot less to spend on decking the halls.
Speaker 4: In fact, the most alarming part of all of this is that twenty four percent of people, and that is almost one in four people, will be relying on credit cards to cover costs this Christmas season. So that's four point eight million people here in Australia who will be pushed into debt over this festive season. And as much as colorful Christmas balls from kmart are very exciting to talk about, I feel like we need to get into the nitty gritty of debt and talking about how bad that can be because twelve dollars here and there it adds up.
Speaker 2: And as I've said.
Speaker 4: Before a million times on this podcast, no one goes and gets a credit card beck with the intention of going into crippling debt. No one wants to feel stressed over the Christmas period. Lots of people will be like, oh, just chuck it on credit it'll be fine, and then they can't sleep during that period of time. Like to me, it is not fair and I think that we really should be contextualizing what this means and having up more open, honest conversations with our friends and family about what this means. And obviously there are a heap of ways to cut down costs.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, if we are here to help. So basically, after the break, I think we'll go through and talk about gifts that are not super expensive. Maybe you can make them at home, maybe free stuff. We're going to talk about all that kind of stuff. We'll go to a quick break and get our lists ready. Let's have a think. Yeah, because I'm not feeling that festive after reading all of those stuff. I'm not feeling festive at all at the moment. But we will. We will because we're going to have some sick gift ideas, yes, that are going to save your whole heap of money. So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Guys, I V we are back. I'm ready are feeling more festive.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling a little bit more festive too. Actually, we're going to help you save some cash. You go first. Actually I want you to talk about I'm maybe any time to think.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, A right, I have a list and I've been checking it twice. But you do not have to spend a lot of money on gifts to show people how much you care about them. And obviously, throughout the year, I've been dropping hints on the pod, but we have been creating a list of actually good, actually thoughtful DIY gifts, because I'm not gonna lie your kid coming home with a snowflake made out of a paper plate, while cute, kind of don't want it.
Speaker 2: Not a good Christmas resent, sure, you know, not practical.
Speaker 4: That's a good present, I suppose, And I mean, I'm yet to have this baby, beck, So maybe I just don't understand why my mum still puts a paper plate with a glued on toilet roll that looks kind.
Speaker 2: Of like an angel on the Christmas tree every year.
Speaker 4: That I made what like thirty years ago. Maybe that is a good gift.
Speaker 2: That is so maybe we should be using paper plates and toilet rolls to create all of our Christmas resuents. That if you gave me an angel paper plate with a toilet stuck to it for no reason whatsoever, I think I would like that. I don't think you would. I think you'd be like, dang, great, Now I have to hold this thing. No, what do I do with it? Do I throw it out? It's like getting cards. You want to throw out Christmas cards or birthday cards? Yeah, that's something I still wonder. I keep them just your case.
Speaker 4: What if you ask me and you're like, man, do you still have that Christmas card? It was really thoughtful, and I'm going no, I just chocked it in the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. You say.
Speaker 4: Anyway, here are some actually thoughtful presence. All right, So first lay off the rank. Do you like that homemade wheat packs?
Speaker 2: Oh? Very good?
Speaker 4: So you say very good, but you probably don't know what I'm really talking about it before.
Speaker 2: Yes, that too, and someone did maybe one of these ones. So it is.
Speaker 4: So I love this because you can just have basic stitching skills for this. You could YouTube it. It's fun. You might want to upscale this festive season if you have a sewing machine, honestly cut your time in half. But also you can definitely handstitch it. A sewing kit from like kmart is honestly with thread with needles, but the tiny scissors is like five.
Speaker 2: Bucks from kmart.
Speaker 4: Sick and one of my favorite uses of fabrics is cheap tea towels because obviously I'm not going to go to spotlight and by like rolls and rolls of fabric, which I think ends up being quite expensive but also quite wasteful.
Speaker 2: One tea towel equals one weet pack. Yeah, stitched around the edge, right, so that's not going to fray. Yeah money win if you get them from Kmart.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure like a five pack of tea towels is like five bucks as well. You could be fancy and get like branded ones, like imagine getting like a Winnie the Pooh tea towel one.
Speaker 2: Anyway, interesting that your mind went straight to Winning the Poo as a brand. I was think of Gucci. Oh, you see tea towelse you like branded, and then you're like Winny the Poo.
Speaker 4: But do you know what, I'm thinking a lot about Winnie the Pool at the moment, because I'm pregnant of course, and all of my tops now when I put them on, make me look like I'm Winning the Pew.
Speaker 2: Those possibly cute, it's not cute.
Speaker 4: I literally look like Winnie the Pooh when I put my t shirts on in the morning nowadays, and my husband literally calls me pooh oh, I'm like, yeah, could I borrow one of your t shirts?
Speaker 2: Thanks, we're going for coffee. I didn't need to be attacked like this. Also, you could call you whinny, but he's gone straight for poo straight poo.
Speaker 4: What a nice guy, fantastic dad material anyway, But what you're going to do is obviously stitch around the edge. I'll do a tutorial online for this because it is actually really really easy.
Speaker 2: But what you're going to fill it with is wheat. Weady buy wheat back ah the pet shrew. You can get a ten kilo bag of wheat for ten dollars. Oh that's cheap, and that's gonna make like at least ten different wheat packs. Yeah, if you're.
Speaker 4: Really fancy, you're going to walk around your neighborhood and you're like be spying the whole time. Anybody got any lavender I could.
Speaker 2: Dry up put in there, good idea. You're paying for lavender, you could chuck some essential oils, could put anything you want in there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Obviously, Christmas in Australia is currently during summer, so they're not going to use it immediately. But a wheat pack doesn't go astray in my house, got a saw back wheat pack cold at my desk, wheat pack, you're cold at my house?
Speaker 2: Do you want a wheat pack? Heep I made last Christmas. Honestly, those are timeless gifts. You will never not need a wheat pack. I agree.
Speaker 4: Also, kmart has stepped up the game this year. They have a whole heap of diy craft things, right clay using air dry clay, you could hand make some earrings or candle holders. You could make like a little game of like Tic tac toe. Oh cute jewelry holders literally so much. But clay costs between five and fifteen dollars from like came up Bunning's office works Amazon if you're smart and planned. But honestly, these are all just like cam up things. This isn't sponsored by kmart, by the way.
Speaker 2: I'm just obsessed and also probably should have been smarter with my marketing and pr. I should have reached out to kmart to be like, I'm going to do a Christmas episode and we should work together. True, but it didn't do this for free, km up.
Speaker 4: I'm doing you a solid the next This has been popular in our community every year, so I have been sharing this recipe for the last four Christmases with you guys, and every year someone messages me and goes, hey, the I saw you posted this last year and I just thought it was a bit lame.
Speaker 2: Didn't do it?
Speaker 4: Did it this year? It's incredible? And that is my recipe for Christmas crack. Oh you haven't yet had it because you have not been on the show for more than a year. But like at Christmas time, I make so many trays of this stuff and I give it as gifts and people are always like, the what was in that? It was incredible?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: You can package it up really cute, really homemade. You're not gonna believe me how good this is. Go just look up.
Speaker 4: Christmas crack in my Facebook group because then everybody will like convince you of it. But it's essentially a get this saladas. Okay, it's the base biscuit. We then make a caramel sauce, which is super easy. It's basically brown sugar and butter m M and then you top it with chocolate and then you could dress it however you want. Sometimes I put just some sea salt on the top, or we might put some like sprinkles or something like. You could literally do whatever you want given it's Christmas time. I know the supermarket has those like festive sprinkles for cupcakes. You could put that on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, extra festive, right, doesn't sound that appetizing when I explain it. But once it's all dry, it cracks and it's.
Speaker 4: Like this crunchy, sweet, salty, gooey like incredible biscuit and you crack it up. It has to be rustic, like you don't actually want it to be in the Salada squares. You want it to kind of be like triangles and like really rugged pieces. It's Christmas crack, which means you don't even have to do a good job of cooking it like it can look rustic, is what we'll call it.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I promise I'm going to bring you some next week and you're going to lose your mind.
Speaker 2: I was so excited. But it sounds so.
Speaker 4: Cheap and you make so much of it, and people like, wow, you made this, thank you, and you just go, yeah, I made it because I thought you would really love it, like you could obviously drop in that She's on the money. It's the best podcast ever, and that's where you got the idea. If it comes up organically.
Speaker 2: Christmas, she's on the money.
Speaker 4: He's a new listener, and that's all we could really ask for this first five season back, that's all we want. But Christmas crack is honestly one of my favorite gifts to give. The next is maybe a little less rustic and requires.
Speaker 2: A little bit more skill. Sure, but I got one last year and I was super impressed, and that was a mcrame plant holder. Yes, so one of my girlfriends.
Speaker 4: Made it super cheap to make. You can buy rope from Bunnings for like ten bucks, but.
Speaker 2: You can gift it with like a propagated cutting ah clever smart so free plant money win, and then you can also give them like the mcrame mic holder. There's lots of tutorials on TikTok and on YouTube, so like, you don't just have to make it yourself.
Speaker 4: Probably unpopular opinion, don't buy the kids online. They're like seventy or eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: Cancel that. Just find a template online, free mccrame plant hold a template and it will literally just come up and show you how to make a whole heap of different ones. Okay, money win there's usually.
Speaker 4: A YouTube tutorial that goes with it that shows you exactly how.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cute. The next is a printed photo book album. Oh so, I can't think of anything more thoughtful than a friend going through their photo album and finding a whole heap of cute photos of us together printing them out. You could print them it Cama. If you've got a bit more time, you can print them out and be fancy and send them through to Vista Print, which is even cheaper. But like, is that not the cutest idea ever? Yeah, that's like a little memory book of all of your friend memories. I love that. It feels so much more special when it's printed out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if you've got like graphic design skills, which I do not possess, you do, you could use like Canva or something to design the book and get it printed. And to be honest, if you're getting a book printed online, it's honestly like ten dollars.
Speaker 2: You know who's gonna love that? Mums? Moms. Mummy will love that. Mom's gonna love it.
Speaker 4: You know you should do next time you go to your mum's place, you should raid all of the family photos, scan the me in and put them in a book.
Speaker 2: WHOA, She's basically done the work for you. Yeah? True? Is that not genius? That's genius fee, that's genius. Smart. I've got a few if you're ready. Oh, you've now thought of a number to share? Yes, I think that was appropriate amount of time to think of a few things. You're going to say the things I said, I'm going to go through and say homemade wheat pack. I'm just kidding, But so have you heard of Christmas crack? I like to be a little bit savvy, and so I'm thinking of all the ways I've kind of gotten away with not spending much over Christmas and birthdays, but most recently, one of my very good friends, we do like to make things for each other. So either it's like a picture of a magnet of me and her, Like a magnet is kind of cute, it's like silly, it's cute whatever, But not silly. That's actually a good present. That's kind of cute. Put that on the list. Christmas magnet convenient. You chuck it on your electricity bill or whatever. But that's not the one I was talking about. Every time you think of your bill, you think of your friend. Is exactly, and then you creates association and so that friend now gives you anxiety. That is so ic I love it. So that's selling it. Yes, and you don't talk to that friend anymore. Saves your money because I can find them present. No, But what I did was I made an activity wheel for her. So I went through office works and got different colored cardboards, those little like pushpin things, and wrote down all the things we like to do together. And so if we're just at home doing nothing and we feel like we want to do out of the house, or you're in a relationship with this friend basically we're in a relationship. You can do that for relationships as well, like a date wheel, pop date ideas on popsticks and put them in like a little that's cute. A friend gave me that idea. I don't want to take credit, but take the credit. I might take the credit with me on this show. Baby, that's true. She's not in here with me. And then the other thing was me and my family will kind of do this thing where we'll just bite other novelty gifts nothing over like five dollars, and I know, like I don't want to add to any like junker consumption, their consumption and stuff. So it's always like just one or two little things that they will use forever. Always novelty gifts, things that you'll want to put on your desk in the office, that you just fiddle with, like little things like that. Nothing over five dollars is what we do. And then Secret Standard. Everyone buys one gift and that's it and everyone is gifted a gift. Does that make sense? Yeah? No, no, no, I like that, so you don't have to buy for everyone. Trying to be a game as well. It's a game. It's silly, it's fun, it's really exciting. You just have to put out like maybe whatever the budget is, let's say two set the budget at anything, anything, let's say twenty dollars. You just buy the one gift. Everyone's taken care of. I think that's probably the way I do it with most people in my life.
Speaker 4: I want to be Secret Santa is fantastic. Whenever we have done like Secret Center at work or like in our friendship group, they'll set a limit, right, They'll be like fifteen dollars, and you go, yep, great, I can afford fifteen dollars, and so can everybody else like in that circle, because otherwise you wouldn't have asked them. But then you start looking for presents and everything's so much more expensive, and I just have this idea in my head. I'm like, if it was just thirty dollars, this would be so much easier for me.
Speaker 2: Mentally.
Speaker 4: That's a terrible way of thinking, but I think that a lot of people will resonate with that. The other thing I was going to butt in there and contribute. If you haven't listened to our festive episodes before, you might not have heard how my family does Christmas. By my family, I mean Steve's side of the family. I'm trying to implement it in the rest of the family. It hasn't gone so well just yet, but we'll get there. But Steve's side of family, it's literally my favorite thing ever Christmas time. If you're gifting people, it has to be handmade, homemade.
Speaker 2: Or second hand.
Speaker 4: So we are not allowed to go to the shops and buy something new. You have to handmake it yourself. It has to be homemade. It could be homemade by someone else, like you could buy something from a small business and like gift that and that's Okay, one year I got this really beautiful like raffia bag that was like handmade, and I was just like, this is a Slay gift or it can be secondhand, and so, like you guys have probably all heard it if you've listened to our Christmas episodes before. But a couple of years ago, I was buying for my niece and nephew.
Speaker 2: I was so excited. I was like, what are we going to get them?
Speaker 4: I knew they were getting a cubby for Christmas that year, and so I thought, what if we just go on like Facebook, Marketplace or gum Tree or whatever and find like one of those play kitchens, and so for I think it was like fifty bucks, right, so still like not the cheapest ever, but fifty dollars through a joint present, I thought was pretty good. Sure, I went over to I think it was like Fitzroy or something, some dude's bougie penthouse apartment, and I bought this play kitchen and it was really well looked after. But he threw in all of the accessories, so the cups, the plates, the balls, the little plastic fruits, all of the stuff that would have really added up and cost a heap of money to buy fifty bucks money win. That would have been at least three years ago back. They still use it. It is still in their little cubby house. And now whenever I go up to the window of the cubby house, my niece looks out and goes, oh late, yes.
Speaker 2: Please, and a plastic banana that is so cute yuh.
Speaker 4: Anyway, aana secondhand could be a really good way of doing Christmas this year because you could get a present that you otherwise wouldn't have been able.
Speaker 2: To afford to purchase. Yeah, I love that, like because that would have honestly, after you added all up, that would have been a couple of one hundred dollars at least just for the kitchen, and then all of the additional accessories, Like it was only just like IKEA stuff, Like it wasn't you know, fancy fancy hottery barn stuff. But the little pots, the little plates, all of the stuff so they could play house. What a good gift. That's a great gift and the kids don't know any different. It's going out in the cubby. I love that it was all clean. I chucked all of the plastic wear through the dishwasher before I gave it to them, and I gave the kitchen a good scrub out, because obviously like that just feels like the right thing to do. But say, I love that and rich reuse, recycle, They say, so, I love it. I love this idav I think it's great.
Speaker 4: And I don't think anyone would genuinely be offended if you bought them something secondhand.
Speaker 2: It's twenty two three. I think people would be like, oh my god, thank you for thinking of me. Yeah, think you thinking of me and the planet.
Speaker 4: It's actually so much nicer that you put so much time, energy and effort into sourcing this instead of just marching into your cam up, purchasing it off the shelf and calling.
Speaker 3: It to day.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I like it better. Yeah, I love that. That's such a good point. B It does feel more thoughtful than quickly going to the shops and dropping like fifty bucks. Exactly. Thank you so much for helping us save this Christmas. I did want to go rogue there and say that Christmas time that's not always spent with family and friends. You might be someone that doesn't have that. We're thinking of you in this time. Family were your family and friends so stay safe out there. We love you, We love you, Bye guys.
Speaker 5: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for occasional purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 5: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 5: Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper p t y lt D a BN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine