Speaker 1: Hey Legends, Welcome back to the Mason Cox Show today. Another special guest, another massive human. Ah gosh, gotta love him. Ever get a seven foot person on the pod because there's not many of us rolling around the world. This man is seven foot two hundred and thirteen centimeters tall. His Croatian descent from Melbourne still speaks a bit of Croatian, is what I've been told. And he's got his Rogue Bogues podcast. You gotta check it out. Basketball, career, cars, everything is included. There is absolutely going off. Played collegeball Utah Utes number four retired there after two seasons, twenty five, number one overall picking the NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks. It's played for Golden State Warriors, MAVs, Cavs, Lakers. King Sidney King's twenty eighteen NBL MVP Best Defensive Player and All NBL First Team. He has got an absolute resume beyond resumes. He is the great man in one of the Australian legends and sports. Andrew Bogant Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Man. So I'm excited for this one.
Speaker 1: Like I said, there's that I feel like we had Jacqulen dall On and he was kind of similar in that sense, where he played overseas, he's playing in the NBA. Now he's playing in the NBA finals. I saw our NBA playoffs and it's awesome to be able to get these people on who've experienced something, I guess in the reverse of what I'd done. You know, you've gone from Australia over to the US and you're one of the ogs. But before we get into all that, I've got to ask I've been asked to h to ask you about your Orange Valiant and what custom plates you had on it, because I know you're a bit of a custom car man.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was. That was the first muscle car that I bought, as I got drafted. Funny story about that one was I purchased the car and I had never given manual the car's manual. Yeah speak ship for the Americans, and I'd never learned manual because I couldn't fit in that manual cars as a kid, And yeah, it pieced me off. So I basically learned manual over one weekend and then drove it. But the plates I got were it was basically translated to yebiga. All the Bulkan listeners don't know what that means. It means effort in Croatian, but it's kind of like a slang. But I believe you can trying to get that fleet now he crows that you get.
Speaker 1: It's amazing because I used to drive a sixty one Ford Falcon range Her, if you can believe that, and that was no chance of me fitting in that thing. I was like the big wheel was just huge and you had to spread your legs just to get it in there, and then you had the clutch. There was always half put in because you couldn't fit your leg in there. I can't imagine what you were like how you get into some of these cars that you have, Like is it I mean obviously you pulled the seat all the way back first thing with the toll blokes that we do. But is there any like Have you been able to customize some of your cars to make it for a seven foot player?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Valley it was pretty good because it was a coup so I didn't have any trouble there. Usually leaked my seat back as far as I could. But there are a few cars that I just were on my bucket list, and one was I bought a twenty ten Shelby GT five hundred Mustang. When I was in the US, I bought a brand new OFFT Deal deal it a lot and I could barely fit in it, and because it was manual to get to the clutch, I was kind of my left knee was hitting kind of steering wheel. Between the door and the steering wheel, there wasn't a whole lot of room, so I still bought it. And I had to drive the car barefoot to get that extra bit of room. So I'd always had to drive the car and flip flops. That's how bad I wanted the cars. I'm buying this car, like, I love this car, and I bought it and just pick my shoe off to hit the clutch.
Speaker 1: Just love to see you, the big man, just rocking out with no shoes on casual class of cars.
Speaker 3: You love the car, You got to do it?
Speaker 2: What's your so? Is that your old day? If you had a dream car, is that your dream car?
Speaker 3: It was a great card to drive. My dream car was probably always probably a walking throw used to see walking through from the eighties, just because I always saw him. My dad's a mechanic by training to come very specialist. So I always saw all these cars coming in that I draw over that never thought I could afford. And it was always woman I liked. So yeah, probably walking short from back in the day. I thank for earning one today, So get a.
Speaker 1: Good fun Another passion you've gotten.
Speaker 2: I've been told that you love your watches. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Is there any Is there any watch that sticks out that you just kind of you know, is your go to and if you go out, and maybe a special event watch that you only wear so Oftenever, it's something like, you know, pristine, pristine place you're going to.
Speaker 3: I just got the John Mayer roll Lex not long ago, so the green Face data, and yeah, I was looking for that for a while. They've funnily enough, I got a tip that they're going to be discontinued, so I jumped on that just before they got discontinued. So yeah, they've done pretty well now. But that took me a while to find out to force that. I actually found it in the Caribbean Islands. It was secondhand, brand new, if that makes sense. It was unopened second hand through I found it through a contact of mine in the US, and then yeah, I went through a whole a whole strategy of how to get it, get it and get it to Australia and all that kind of stuff. So got it all done.
Speaker 2: What's the one event you'd take it out too?
Speaker 3: I can't wearsonally sometimes, to be honest with you, I think it goes with a lot because it's all gold and it's kind of, you know, elegant enough to not be too bright. It can be, but yeah, definitely goes well with a suit. But I sometimes just swear it out casually during the day. I'm not one of those guys that this one has to go with this. I just want to take a different one out every now and then. I don't have a huge collection of many means, but I have a good rotation of five to six home watching as though I like to work.
Speaker 1: I'm very jealous. I'm very jealous. But we'll get into the early life. So you play it. You're from Melbourne, so a lot of listeners here from Melbourne and you played Ozzie Rules and tennis growing up.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: He had Dustin Fletcher on the podcast also he did the same. I don't know what the deal is with some of the Todd blokes playing tennis is that just kind of the go to when if you're a child to say it thrown into the tennis program. Because in America, I don't know anyone I grew up really playing tennis. It was just never a thing. But for some reason, every tall person I know that's here, even Chris Anty, You'll, played tennis growing up.
Speaker 3: For me, tennis is used loosely in my profile. I still laugh and that gets picked up by people because I didn't play organized tennis. It was more, you know, going to the local tennis club and jumping the fence even have to pay a fee and having a hit. I just love playing tennis. I still love playing tennis's day. It's one of my favorite sports to play. I'm not a golf guy. I take tennis ten times out of ten I like, I like constant action. I don't like to hit, you know, play a shot in golf and then you know, talk, chat, walk all that kind of crap. But I don't. That's not for me. And I did yea astralable football, so I did a big kick. I did good taekwondo and gymnastics. I did gymnastics because my sister did it. So I got thrown in that bus hated it, and then yeah, actually I ended up playing basketball just at my dad's warehouse. He had a hoop Jordan to the wall that was from the neighbors. And then I wanted to change the basketball and the parents were like, look, if you change, if you changed four again, this is it. Like we're not you know, fees, equipment all that, it's expensive, We'll loaded middle class. So that they're like, if you change, this is it. And I'm like, no, I'm all in basketball. And thankfully it was the right decision.
Speaker 1: All right, what because you played for the Victoria junior state team And was there a certain point I guess like, yeah, you drop all the other sports, right, and then you go okay, well you probably at some point probably knew you were going to be frequently tired seven feet and you're like, okay, if this is going to happen, I'm going to have a high probability of being a decent basketball player. Was there a moment I guess like in your kind of early days you kind of just go, wow, I can actually be pretty damn decent at this this basketball thing.
Speaker 3: Not really My development was super late, so I got cut from by teams from eleven to fifteen sixteen, ended up going to the areas and I was just a super late developer, Like my development was from sixteen is sixteen seventeen up until twenty and I'm in the NBA. Like that's how quick it happened for me, you know. And that's why no one could really believe kind of the path that I took, because all the junior coaches and all that don't think would be that good. I don't think would be a pro all that kind of stuff. And then some time and eff to work in and as you know, as a big fello, it's kind of hard because I had I was told young and then I stopped growing at about twelve thirteen, just completely didn't grow for a year, and I'm like, what the hell's going on? Like all my friends were passing me, all my teammates were passing me, and it forced me to play a different position. I've played a bit of small forward to guard learn how to handle the ball. But the hardest thing, as you would know, was when you're a talk when you have these massive growth spurs and you know your body goes out of whack, like coordination is what you're starting to trip over, Like you know, you're doing regular stuff that you did every day and it's feeling uncoordinated, but what the hell's going on? That's the hardest part is training out of those those growth spurts to get back, get some coordination back, and get some touch with the field left foot before right, right, so before left. This sound stupid to most people, but when you have these massive growth pirts, I think it. Myke he's already a six years old, you know, he's gone up and down through that like where his footwork is really good playing soccer right now, and then then all of a sudden has a been a gross bood. He's falling over again, like he just you know, you just got to progress through. But yeah, my journey man. Like really it was like someone made a firework in about sixteen seventeen, and just within a couple of years on, you know, standing on the stage shaking David Stone's hand.
Speaker 2: It's insane to me, Like and the one thing that like I'm reading up and do a bit of research on you, that kind of blew my mind as just it seemed as though, within like the two three four years, you had all this experience in life that most people wouldn't even be able to dream about.
Speaker 1: Like you go to you go to college, you know, one of the first like Australians go over there and be successful in college in the Utah youths for two seasons and you just dominate and then you end up you dominate so much you get your jersey retired for which is pretty cool. Have you gone back and actually seeing the jersey retirements they put it up in the rafters or how's it?
Speaker 2: How does it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's top of the rafters that photo said. I've been meaning to go back the text Hall of Fame induction in the future as well, hopefully, so I'm definitely going to go back. But the last three or four years hasn't been the best to travel, So I definitely need to make a US troop over the next couple of years. And I think our the reunion for a Championship with the Warriors will be coming out produce him into so probably try and tile that at the same time. But yeah, Utah was awesome, man, Like, I had a great time there, very fond memories of Utah. A beautiful place to live. In my opinion, I really missed the mountains. You realize like once you leave there, you take the mountains for granted because you wake up and there's beautiful hills and rockies and whatnot. And then then he leave there and I ended up going to Milwaukee, which is flat as attack. I ended up missing those mountains, you know, waking up and seeing them every day.
Speaker 1: They did, like you go into the draft, you drafted number one, and we'll talk about the chaos and everything else of like being a number one draft pick and then being the first I'll trying to ever do that, and then Ben Simmons now been the dot number one draft picks since then. But you go from there to having this I guess like did you feel like there was pressure? Was it just because you were the first one to ever do it? You cain't were just like, hey, let's just let's get into it like this. Who knows where this will go? Like we'll just kind of roll into it and see how we it turn out. But you're kind of one of the first, are you the first? But from Australia like I said, but like internationally I felt like there wasn't a lot of people are getting drafted number one and then you know, you got yourself and some other guys from Europe's start getting rafted and I'm like, you know, Umber one, and You're like, okay, is this is it extra pressure because you're not from there and you're playing in a foreign league and you're touted as the best player out there that is existing in the sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, there wasn't pressure. I was pretty lucky to go to a small market in Milwaukee. I think that really helped kind of my journey. I think going to la on New York with that pick would have been much tougher, just because of the media attention, scrutiny and up and downs, whereas Milwaukee was, you know, much more tame. But it was funny, you know, back back then it was used in Australia, but it wasn't really you know, it's still Footy on the front page when I got drafted, right, Like, it's so weird. You know, there was no social media. I don't think people in Australia realize how big of a deal that was, you know, to to be you know, just being drafted really is a big deal, and then to be top ten, top five, number one with a huge deal. But yeah, I was lucky that I went to a small market, I think, and I mean, nothing can really prepare you for it, Like people say, you know, how did you get through it? You got to make your own way and make the mistakes and learn how to be with it along the way. You can do every bit of media training, you can have the best mental in your life, but until you're thrown into that limelight, no one else can do it for you.
Speaker 2: It's so true.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's funny how you say that, because like obviously, like you said, the football dominates like the newspaper here, and then I find it amazing that people don't realize how big some of the things that Australians are doing overseas, and like it just it kind of blows my mind, like we're somewhat insular and the fact that like we just kind of think, oh, well, this is what's interesting for you know, the Melbourne public whoever it is, and they don't realize, I guess, how big things are outside of the bubble of the country. Really, but I'm talking about it. I want to ask you this because I've always found the draft night hilarious, Like some of the suits rolling around on the night, some of the gold chains that people are wearing, like all this stuff nowadays, this is a full production. Was like whenever you got drafted up, there was there anyone that was just you looked out, was like, what are you wearing?
Speaker 2: Like in what world are you are you thinking? This is okay?
Speaker 3: That's a nightly basis in the NBA. Mate, You know, it's not just not just drafts, you know, and that's each to their own. But you know, there's I was more kind of business, kind of you know, businessy nice suit, nice tie. That was good for me. But I did pull out a white suit one game, which is crazy. But for the most part, yeah, I see all kinds of stuff as you see now with all the you know, the NBA, walking to locker rooms is basically a project runway, you know, fashion show, but each of their own. Some guys you want to be want to be models and basketball players. You know. I can't hate on that. Not me, definitely not me. And I was giving ship to a lot of those guys. When I was playing with guys wear funky stuff, I'd definitely I definitely get into them and get after him a little bit.
Speaker 1: You take ship, did you actually know what they rewards? Like the game beforehand? And then just prep yourself to like touch ship during the game.
Speaker 3: To them, not so much as other teams would be guys on our own team, I'd go after, what are you doing? What are you wearing? What is that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: We're a couple of guys that would that would wear some crazy stuff. Sometimes we pull out their outfits out of their locker room, put them in the front of the locker roof. It was really funky. Put it like right near the white boards so everyone can see what they were wearing. But then, yes, some guys got pretty anty about all that, so turn it back. But we had, you know, we had all kinds of weird stuff. Being more in games.
Speaker 2: Who's the worst dress player you've ever played with?
Speaker 3: I would say worse. But the guy that got at the notice because he was a young friend of was severely He used to wear some crazy stuff. Man, he's you know, Nigeria from Nigeria, so he's got a good mix of asking culture. I mixed it with America. But some of the stuff you were just like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Man like?
Speaker 3: So a couple of that team got into it. I remember one game he wore he wore I think it was three quarter three quarter pant khakis with loafers and some weird shirt and he was hurt. At the time, Mark Jackson was a coach. He walked out onto the floor, come and sit on the bench of the game, and Mike Jackson turning and said, no, go back to the locker roombody. And the worst thing was that we were, you know, before the game, we were killing him. But you can't wear that. What are you doing, dude? No, No, it's okay, you cannot wear that. That's ridiculous. Man. We had the business casual at that point, so you might get fined, but not only that, you're gonna get laughed at, not laugh fine. And the fact that he walked out on the court and the coaches just like, get you back in the locker room of that after on made it even even funnier.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I really imagine just like a dive with a tail between his legs, fucking back to the Just I've got to ask you this now, being the number one draft pick, bit of pressure and everything else, Now, what was the one thing that it kind of sticks out in your mind that was your welcome to the NBA kind of moment, My.
Speaker 3: Welcomes India moment came a couple of months into the season. I was I was a rookie, so I had all the rookie duny and stuff I had to do. So I have to go get donuts before every shoot around, I had to get birthday cakes or whenever it was one's birthday. Just just mundane, annoying, earnly type stuff. Hey, rook, get me a towel, Hey rook, get me a drink about this or that kind of stuff. Right, that's around me a bit obviously a number one keig even more on me. Mother rookie was ears on Minnesota. I'm going to speak the word English, and he was in the G League all of the rookie years. So just me solo and I hit a game where against the Spurs my rookie year, I think it was in November, if or somewhere around November early December, hit this walkoff game winner against the Spurs of the previous year Chaps and gets a locker room on front. You know, everyone's getting around me, and I was just like, you know, fuck your rookie shit, yeah blah blah blah blah blah. Right, and one of the best was like, yeah, nice game, I guess what, you're still looking tomorrow And I was like, oh, just super that. And the next day I was like mid rookie. So just the reality chick of like, yeah, you're high right now, but you're still rooking tomorrow, buddy, and you're still let get out of doughnuts and everything that we need. So that was that was a nice welcome moment to the NBA.
Speaker 1: They always put you back in the place. I feel like, it's it's just the way that Americans steal whenever you're in your first year, you've played against some amazing, amazing NBA stars and the likes of like Kevin Love, Kevin Garnett, like Shaquille and Neils, some of these guys that are household names. Was there any I guess, like opponent every single week that you kind of came up against. That not every week that you came up against, but whenever you would go and play them, there was a bit of like a rivalry for you or just maybe like a mental kind of someone you had to try to get over that was like really tough to play against that you know, maybe whenever you saw them on the on the upcoming schedule, you just kind of got a bit nervous, or was it something you look forward to as far as a challenge for yourself.
Speaker 3: A few guys, like one guy I struggled with was Yumming. He was, you know, seventy six, had the shooting types of a guard, and he got hot against me. A few nights I played him, and there was nothing I could do, like playing textbook great defense, pushing him off the block, making him shoot turn around jumpers, and he's just all net, all net, all net, and you know, he's seventy six, and he shoots it above his head, so he's shooting from like, you know, an eighth advantage point. And when he gets hot, you're just like like, what can I do? You know? So I had to attack him at the other end. But another guy that i'd always get into it, which was Kevin Garnett, So funny you mentioned him. We always had. He had this thing where he tried to mess with international players a lot and try to, you know, try to get into him a little bit and all that kind of stuff. And I remember he did it to me, like the first time he did to me. I gave him an elbow back and he kind of left me alone. From there, but then we'd always get into it every game, like we get into the larger grajis, you know, double text, all that kind of stuff. And I think with a guy like that, you got to go back in it like they and you know, he's trying to see how you react and see if you go into your shell and fetch your game. And it didn't really affect me, and I gave it back to him as good as a game to me. So they'll probably two guys out.
Speaker 1: He's he's such a player that he played the rule between the Ears game, Kevin Garnet, and he was just like insane the way he kind of took it, took a mentality towards games. Is there anything he kind of like said to even not only yourself, other players and even beyond just Kevin Kevin Garnatt, but like anyone else that kind of said stuff to get under skins of players that you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like nowadays with with mikes and stuff, maybe people are a bit more cautious on what they say on the court and things along that nature like, but back in the day and whenever you're playing, like I just feel like it was a bit it was a bit less controlled to say that, Like, I think you could probably kind of get into each other a bit more than you probably can't today, just because you'd be nervous of what the backlash would be it will be. Was there any moments that stick out about like someone, you know, getting under the skin of another player?
Speaker 3: Not really the NBA, So it's the trestfil so boring. It's it's always you know, I'll mess you up, you know, I'll knock you out, you know, see me after the game, all that kind of it's always the same crabs, who does the lights go out? No one's seeing you after the game. I ever seeing two guys go at it after a game, but generally it's all just talking the lights aron, it's all bravado for the cameras and all that kind of stuff. So I just whenever I get into the guy and they start barking that and just be like, yeah, okay, okay, let's do it, let's do it meet afterwards, cool okay, because it's just like to hear every other game, but nothing too crazy, like you know, generally families, families, kids, wives, and you don't you don't touch that kind of stuff. I know a few people have. That's that's where you don't go. But as far as everything else, like you know, I played with Draymond Green, so he's probably the most wildest of he'll go. He'll go for something, he'll say, he'll try to say something to really hit home that he's read in the media, or something miging about your personal life it's not family related. He'll go for the soul crusher. So poor Piers one was a funny one from a number of years ago. And you know, you said, you know, Kobe Bryant still chasing that retire and to you know, just just stuff like that. He has no shame and he's going to try to get in your head and try to get you off as Bessie can.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's I love it. Some of the Draymond stories are just absolute gold. Just man.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about anything, but we'll go into twenty fifteen finals, right, one of the greatest teams to ever play an NBA final, yourself included. We've got the names of Matthew delvidob but Kyrie Irving, Lebron, James Richard Jefferson, Kevin Love Jr. Smith, Draymond Green, Andre Goodall, Clege Thompson, Amiston, Versha, Steph Curry. I remember looking at that and this is before kind of like me understanding it. It was like my first year coming to Australia and looking back, do you do you realize the I guess, like the the history of some of those players and how good the players on that court were that you were playing with at the time. Like I'll just look at those names now and I'm just like, that is an insane like list of people that were playing in a series together and I look at as one of the best series ever ever was They'll look back and just kind of think, wow, it was a crazy time to be a part of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, looking back now, not playing anymore, I'm still seeing you know, Steph and Clay go on to this day. Just being able to play with probably two of what will be the greatest shooters of all time is amazing. And just being able to compete at the highest level in a given sport, playing against the best, playing against the Tim Duncans and Lebron James and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, that final series was pretty crazy. I mean it was such a battle and I guess we learned the hard way about the momentum of the seven game series and the one that we lost about three to one. Yeah, it's it's just amazing. Depends to most sports, you know. You know, that's why the seven game series to me is just generally it is the better team that wins it because it is you have to win four times no matter what happens. Injuries do play a parts, Suspensions obviously, all that kind of stuff, but the momentum shifts in those You can feel like the worst team in the world after game too, because he just lost by forty and then you hit him in game three, you know, and everything can change, as we're seeing in the playoffs right now some of the series is going on. So definitely something that you remedies on the old or not I get the more I reminie on on kind of those stories and terms of the kids and the grandkids describe.
Speaker 1: I guess like the moment the signer goes you've become an NBA champion, You've accomplished that goal on live because it what's the first thing that comes to mind on the court, I.
Speaker 3: Think most people are the same thing. It's relief, It really is, because it's such a it's so bent up, and it's so everything's depressor the nerves. Media, like you're gota you're gonna remember like at that point of the year, you're the only really big basketball game going on in the world, right, Like it's June. I think EuroLeague's kind of finishing, so maybe you got a little bit in Europe, but neither leagues are really on the finals. The best league in the world. There's no other playoff games to talk about. It's just like the scrutiny on that month, all that three weeks is so immense to travel, the back and forth in main game. So for most most of the guys said it was just relief. It was relief. Obviously, you love the faith that you won, but it's like, oh, we did it, you know, And that was probably the biggest thing that stuck at him. Sort of our best players were saying the same thing, just relieve we got it done, you know, because there's so much pressure, and you know, you see how much steers age over the last ten years with all that success, right, Like some of these coaches that don't don't go deeper into the playoffs and all that, it's almost less stress to an extent because you know, the deeper you go, the more expectation lifts, and you know, you can definitely see it. With Steve. I think he's his age twenty years and ten years just from all the stress of trying to continue to win championships.
Speaker 1: We'll get to see because I want to. I want to talk about it. A little connection he's got. But we goes this, where's your ring at at the moment?
Speaker 3: In a stake?
Speaker 2: Do you ever bring it out?
Speaker 5: Like I feel like sometimes a kid like you chances stuff, they'll bring it along, but it's it's massive, man, when you can't really wear it and it's really bringing and I don't know what you do.
Speaker 3: I want to study that and be a thirty k USC So it's not something you want to leave hanging around. It's prett easy to steal. So I've got to I've got to you know, tucked away nice and safe and pull it out of you give a ship and it's like whatever to ring because I don't understand yet you're starting to understand, like since you're starting to figure out, like like okay, you played an NBA. You know, like because people come up to me sometimes we're not about for a photo or have a chat and he's starting to figure it out and four years obviously starting to figure out. But I just don't think they realized what that ring is yet. They will, they will not a number of views.
Speaker 1: I Oh, it's kind of fun and interesting to get like a ring or a medallion and stuff, and you just never really wear it.
Speaker 2: Like it's kind of like just because of sits there.
Speaker 1: You're like, it's it's there to pull out as a bit of a bit of an accomplishment kind of thing, but like you just never really see it on a day to day basis kind of tucked away because it's so precious and something you don't want to actually you know, like you want to have security around it. You don't actually get to see it quite often.
Speaker 3: In those kind of things. Isn't isn't the eye. It's the memories that brings stuff. Like everyone as you get older and sentimental in our old age, you realize that like you can you can own like beautiful watches, you can own trophies, but like it's the journey to get them. It's the funny story I've just thought about finding the role export. It's you know, it's the memories made and I think that's what the trophies are important for, Like these things behind me, if I lost them tomorrow whatever, Like it's more I'd be sad because that reminder of the memory, or be at the ring and it'll take me back to that time mentally, right, right, would actually relieved from the stories I remember this, remember that that's what signifies that it could be valued at one dollar, Like you know what I mean. It's just it's one of those things. I think most people that have things are valuable say say the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so true. It's the I think whenever you're in it, people don't realize it. But like once you kind of get towards the back end and stuff with careers, and you realize it's more of that journey and the special memories you create. Like you can have as many memorabilias of basketball shoes and boots and all that, but it's not that it's the actual stuff that comes with it from you and your personal experience with it. But we're going to that next year. See the record games seventy three games won and he broke Steve Kerrs balls record to do that. Going into that series having you know, the success of the season and then facing one of the best teams again on a second time the second year in a row, and then after that, you know, it's like just debilitating loss. Like what was the feeling that of like having such a successful year and then unfortunately not being able to finish the year.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it sucked. It was awful. It's just because we couldn't put a hammer on that seventy three and nine. It's always going to have an asterix on it now, you know, because we could have finished off and win and thas three to one, and then you know, Draymond gets suspended and then I do my needy in game was that Game five? Dallas back was like his back was so messed up. He had like chronic backspasms throughout that series trying to go and Brown. He was obviously instrumental this season before and guarding with Lebron. So yeah, it sucks. It's tough, but look at the end of the day, I'm thankful to get one. Like you think about the number of this fifteen players on any day roster, general season, the season. Within a decade, there's usually a team that's going to repeat once or twice all there's two or three teams that win the majority of a decade. You're in that league group of you know, one hundred of players generally that has an NBA championship were in for that decade. So thanks for that. But yeah, seventeen nineteen, it was just an amazing year. I'm losing in seven. I just remember the regular season, like we won so many games that regular season that we shouldn't have won. Like we had games and we're down like eighteen, gone into the fourth and you know, Stephan Clay just get going and we you know, we just grind out a win. So it just felt like we would never lose. It really did. And yeah, it was just an interesting year as far as the dynamic. We had guys that were, you know, when we were sixty and whatever, we had you know, ten fifteen games left. We had some guys that were like, let's go for the record. We had other guys were like, let's be healthy. You know. So then there's in the locker room debate of guys saying, you go for the record, shouldn't we you know, see, most of the guys wanted to go for the record, and see lected to go for it, you know, then we did have some injuries later on in the finals. You know, so who knows the client sight. But there's no right or wrong way about it. But it was an interesting dynamic just just it's in that locker room of how you know we should handle it moving forward.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned Steve curn He's he's looked at as one of the all time great coaches now and I find him. I think he's he's almost kind of gone beyond just a coach of the NBA. You know, he's he's able to have his statements in the media about things going on in the world. He's, you know, very well spoken human whef it comes to different opinions around some of the tougher things to talk about now, he's he's an interesting human. Is there any of the lessons I kind of stick out from him that you know, you apply to your everyday life and you know a bit of I guess, I don't know, like help that he's been able to give you throughout the years that really sticks out to you.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a biss of stuff. I think just the way you handle personalities I think was probably the biggest thing. No, I don't know what it's like an NFL right now, but it's probably still a bit more hard, harder, harder coaching at times. But the NBA is now all about people management. It's not you know, you can you can be the best off the white board coach in the world. You could be the best run the best offensive set. But if you can't, you know, if you can't have as so as not even communications that you know, a good relationship with the players and no one needs personality and all that kind of stuff, you're not going to survive. And we're seeing numerous times in the Bawn. I think Steve understood that. Steve understood that different guys, their buttons are different. You know this Stuary, I can light up and swear and go right in the face and will you know, will bounce back, and then this guy I can't do that with. Well, this guy needs a hard or that guy needs tough love. Like you need to know that. And that's what that's what Steve's really good at. I mean, probably the thing that I want to do speaking gigs and whatnot that I speak about with Steve is he'd always mentioned that you know, you guys aren't paid the majority of this salary isn't just for basketball. It's what you give up, and it's you know, like step Curry and they can't just wake up and go I'm going to go to the local shopping center. They can't do that like that, that privily. Just it's a prevalent, right, Like it's that simple thing that every day people do. It's taken away because he did. Step did that one day and to close down more shopping center, to close it down security reasons, right, so that you know you're at dinner and people have their camera phones out and taking photos of you. You've got a piece of steak on your fork. About a thrillion miles people take a photos of you. Right, So that's where sea what relates to us. This is why you guys are paid with the paid. It's basketball, but it's also you're giving up your personal life. Your kids are in the alarm light, your wife's in the limelight. You make a small mistake in your life, whatever it may be that most twenty year olds make, it's magnified a one hundredfold. So his you know, his conversation around that was one thing that always always stuck with me, and I tell other athletes that I speak to that. You know, that's that's why you're paying a businesssory. What you're doing, You're going to deal with all that other crap that people people think you should just ause youre an athlete.
Speaker 2: You know, how do you handle it?
Speaker 3: As a young fan? It was, like I said earlier, I was unknown. I didn't know how to handle it. You know. I had this thing where, you know, the Australian meaning is very tabulated, and for you know, still towards in the end of my career, every article was like the headline was to do with money, so I'd be like fifty million dollar man or two million dollar man or you know, And I kind of bothered me a little bit because I like, you know, human being first, and like everything is about money, money, money, money, and it kind of bother me because I'm like, so I was kind of not not not not trying to put it a slider, afraid of it. I was trying to hide the fact that I made that money. But I'm like, at one point, at one point in my career, like what am I hearing it for? It's public anyway, And yeah, I was fortunate enough to get into a league that pays you a lot of money for your services. Do I agree that we should be paid more than fieries and bugs. No, I don't. But that's a total different conversation. But then I got to a point, right just like you know what it is, what it is, So yeah, how I ended it. It was hard at times. It was just one of those things that you have to navigate as a young fellow. And I was twenty years old, you know, twenty Yeah, I couldn't even legally drink in the US and my rookie the first half of my rookie year, so I remember a couple of veterans would like try to sneak me into places and whatnot. And you know, I'm making five ten million dollars that year, right like, and I'm just like, what that would I do with it? So I have no idea about anything the value you how to pay a utilities bill or a light bill, because I just come out of college where everything's done for me. So it was all that to do with as well. But yeah, it's very very interesting, and that's why we see, especially in the US, you know, with NFL, Baseball, basketball, NHL, a lot of these young fellows are get in trouble with the career because it's the unknown. You got to make mistakes and learn from it.
Speaker 1: I take the job, I answer at the moment, Yeah, it's interesting. Is there any advice you'd give to because there's so many sorry Australians are coming to the NBA now and they're kind of learning that that lesson of you know, you're going to be in the spotlight and on a lot bigger probably spectrum than you realize. Is there any advice you give some of those players there over there at the moment, I.
Speaker 3: Just have a tight group, have a tight group. The larger the group, the more chances of someone's going to you know, try to full the fast on. Ob I see so many teammates and guys in the NBA. You know, we talk about them getting screwed out of business skills or whatever, but I've seen more often not as family and friends that that do that. So obviously, keep your circle very tight, and you know, just try to try to be self sufficient to an extent. Like when I when I first started the league, I had someone that did everything for me, you know, pay my bills, you know, everything right, like even just transfer money. I'd have to course one, Hey, can you move this money here so I can get it here? And then it bothered me, right, I was like, you know what, like I probably should take onus of my finances and learn how to do this stuff. So then one day when I retired, to pay someone to how much money other than my bank account, you know, so learn how to be self sufficient. I think it's just something that's very important. And and you know, it's telling an hour, you know, a couple of hours a week to learn and maintain that, and I think that's pretty important.
Speaker 2: It's it's so true.
Speaker 1: I think, like compare that to my journey one of my biggest things I'm so grateful for as I went to college and I had to pay my own way. I wasn't on scholarship or anything, and then I learned all the life lessons that you know you need for the rest of your life for paying bills and how to be responsible human. And it's at your ap a really really good thing. Where I guess think in the US sometimes because you have so much going on, they actually just handled that for you. And I see some of the AFL players coming through, they have their you know, their bank accounts are handled by their agent and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you have to at some point. This guy's not going to be here for you.
Speaker 1: Did walk you through every single little part of life, like you have to be able to grow up at some point and something you got to you got to learn that lesson at some point and hopefully you can learn it sooner rather than later. We'll we'll move on to basketball Australia. There's the World Cup's coming up. I'm stoked. I'll stoked for this. I know I've had USA played Australia here in Melbourne. They beat US. I don't know, I'm half and half now it's just shit. I don't know what I call it. But had Australia beat America and now they're kind of on this streak right, So like you were kind of one of the ogs that came through and you kind of set the scene for a lot of Australians in the basketball community. And you talk about the media giving you scrutiny and everything else, but they weren't giving you the props for setting the founding stones for some of these players that are now making this kind of money and over in the States and having the success that they are having. It at the moment. What's your thoughts on basketball Australia now and where it's been able to transform into over your years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come a long way, a long long way the Buddhist program, especially from where it was in the early two thousands to where it is now famous as Austin New Zealand in two thousand and one to the two thousand and two World Championships got knocked out, even go to the World Championships that year. Where we've gone from then to now is you know, tenfold. Think a lot has gone into the work that a lot of us have done off the court, were set in the culture and making sure that you know, there's non negotiables we have with the boomers. You know, the national team is interesting, dynamic. You wouldn't really experience the footy, but you've got you know, everyone that comes to the national team is the man or the woman on their team, the the number one, number two options for their club team. So you all of a sudden bringing twelve people and now you've got you know, all of the things they should be it. I should be the guy, I should be the scorer. So you're gonna understand you got to play a role to make that whole thing hum properly. And that's the hardest thing. And we didn't have a lot of success of that in the two thousands. We had you know, sometimes some guys would come through that program that would use it as there might be a free agent with their club team. They might use it and I'm going to Olympics and have a good Olympics and get paid by someone in Europe. And it's like, well, that's not the wrong mindset, but this program like we don't want we don't want that, like we need you to do X y Z because we're you have someone's boring or or vice versa. Hey, we need you to just their physical presence and redoun and block shots. And that's the hardest thing to kind of relay that to people. And we finally got that right over probably the last decade, probably since twenty fifteen, I think we've got it right. And you know, it's transcended into twenty sixteen and nineteen, we finished fourth, just miss out of the medal, and then we finally get you know, our bronze in twenty one and hopefully you know, with the World Cup coming in this year and then the Olympics, hopefully you know, we can get a silver if not a gold, And it was just just a mindset change, man Like we had we had kind of this mindset of like, as long as we get through the pool rounds in the next round, that's a that's a win for a little old Australia. And it got to the point where I was like, nah, that's not a it's not a you're basically saying, hey, let's try to get eight before the tournament, like with the hell goes into any tournament, and you've got to be realistic, right like sometimes you know you don't have the swad, they didn't really compete, but you still want to always set your goals number one and then if you finish third, great, you celebrate it. But we had a defeated mindset going into some of these tournaments, which really kissed me off. So once we address that, fix that, and then all of a sudden, we've got three guys in the NBA, and then we've got five guys, and we've got ten guys. Now we've got the number of guys in the NBA on a consistent basis. You bring them back into the Boomers program. That makes the program better, It makes everything better around us, coaching gets better. The demands from all of a sudden the place to the federation grew. We said, hey, we demand more professionalism, commune now bast in Australia, Like we're not We're not washing our own clothes anymore in the bathtub, like I didn't want to first join the Boomers. We're not doing that anymore, like you know, just just so then things got better. Our food needs to be better, our traveler rangers need to be better. So it was all collective and sometimes there was tough conversations both ways, but that's what you need to do. And that's why the Boomer's program is probably the best position it's been in a long long time.
Speaker 1: What does it you think, because I look at the Boomer's program and I think the word that comes to mind is like ego less, like there's no one that has a has to beg that comes on and say, isn't I'm it? Everyone look at me like it is a pure team based kind of like the Spurs back in the day, you know, of like I don't really care gets a shot. We're just gonna get the best open shot that we can. That's going to be the highest percentage. What is it that you know, I guess like, is it the Australian culture of just not like top poppy syndrome and saying like no, we're all even like and we're all going to spread the love kind of thing. Or is it just just the way I guess like this programs don't set up that they they know they're going to be more valuable as a team rather than putting all their you know, eggs in one basket with one or two players.
Speaker 3: Well, do you want to win? You know that's the thing. You want to go to a foreman and bomb out you know, an eighth or seventh and complaining for a seven eight position into it? Or do you want to test the win and they has to be buying and you go to you know, you see it a little bit in pro sports and the national team. It is, like I said, it's so much more magnified. You know, you might be a tween team guy on your team, but we don't need that. We need we need ten and ten from you and we need this from you. And now all of a sudden, you know, looking by like Chris Golding, who's you know, a gunner in the NBL when he comes to the national team is his defense goes up tenfold. He's a great defender of the national team and he's more of a feat set three point straot for us, like we don't need you at the top of the key creating because we have Patty or Joey or whatever. Right, So it's all these guys giving up some of their games the greater good of the team. And I think we just had a good buying. We had no nonsense guys at the right time that would just say if you don't if you don't want to do that, like we don't need you on the team. And where you know we have cup or players have not made the team because of that and couldn't fit in as a piece of the puzzle. They want to be the whole thing. And that's where we're really really strict on. And I think it's you know, successful to have that, you got to you got to kind of know your role and buy into it.
Speaker 1: We've got to ask this now at the moment, with the Ben Simmons stuff that's going on and him being left out of the team, what's your kind of opinion around the circumstance with him going on and bringing him into the Australian team or not. And you know whether that's going to be something they do or we'll sit. We'll soon find out. But what's your what's your thought process around what's going on with that?
Speaker 3: I don't know behind the scenes. I mean, Brian Gordon came out what ten days ago and said, you know, we're excited and going to be part of the program. I don't know if that was then trying to smoke out Bend and see what was going on. A couple of days later being put out a statement saying I'm focused on my back injury rehab and I look to be part of the Boomers in the future. So everything's in the wording right, And then a couple days ago we have that we've announced our squad, but there's always a spot there for Ben. So look, I was part of the process and trying to get into play. During those games against sing you were saying album which would have then went on to the World Cup didn't go too well. At the end of the day, Ben wants to play. I'll welcome him, but I'm just really cogressing of not holding the program of Ransom continuously just waiting is he going to play. He is not going to play? Is he going to play? And I don't think that's good for the culture and what they're trying to build. I understand is one of the best players in the world, but you know, if I would just like a hard hitting if you don't play, to say non played and we move on with life. So I hope he does. You know, he's yet to put on a bit in New Jersey. I hope he does sooner rather than later. But he's I think he's at a crossroad in his career. To be honest with you, I think he's at a point in his career where he knows this is a huge off season for him, not just for health, but I think for I think he's mentals. Man. I think he needs to get back to that Ben Simmers that we saw and really had it early in his career. He's got a lot of work to do, and I think a lot of it's going to be mental for him. Just trying to get back on the court confident, you know, and getting back to that position would.
Speaker 1: Be so interesting because in my personal opinion, I think going and playing for the Burners and being in the team family environment like that actually might be one of the best things for him.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're buy him, that's the thing. If you're fully buying, you know, if you come and you know, you don't hang out in the team, you just show up for practices and games, and you know, he's that really big part of the Bremer's program. Not saying he do that, but there is NBA players that involved in national teams that kind of still still act like they're on NBA team and it's on the big dog and you guys have played. Not saying they do that, but you never know. If you're going to fully commit and buying, Yeah, it can be hugely beneficial for him. Like and I think they'll be you know, guys like Joey and you know, Giddy and Patty and we'll not we'll get his confidence up and getting back to playing you know, open open floor bends in his basketball. I think you do wonders for him, but you know he does that that injury. Hopefully he gets that right first, but it would be it would be nice. I mean just just think about having him, you know, playing that that point forward point center all at times with the way the game's going on small ball, that's a pretty pretty tough lineup if you can get him healthy.
Speaker 1: And do you think looking forward to the Championships? Right, I feel like this, this World Championships has got probably more tight around it than any other I've ever seen or heard.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just because it's in the same time zone as US and out there, but I'm excited. Like where do you who do you think are gonna be the top teams coming out of this going into the Championships? Is it going to be the Australia, the US? Like is there any kind of wild car do you think has got some players are going to really kind of show up in this this this championship coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to know, just because we don't know exactly who's putting their hand up for every team. I think Canada is the ether from the room generally, like they just never get their whole squad playing. And if they got their whole squad of Canadians playing in the NBA and it's more Murray and so on, they've got a really swat on paper. So it's just a matter of getting it together. The problem they're going to have is they got a lot of a lot of guys that are once again really good players in their club teams. Can they buying for their group and they don't really have a longevity of a culture or whatnot like like other clubs do. So I think Canada is a sneaky one if they can get things right. The Euros are always they're like you know in Lithuanians are Croats as Serbias, They're always in the mix. And then the US is always always a favorite. So I think it's like the Austraight out there France, I think it's going to be very good. You know, the up being in the top four of the last three reports tournaments. You know, Bernanda and a few other young guys coming up through there. Spain you just turned out. I mean that I thought they would have fallen off the you know, the pedestal the last couple of campaigns, but they're right up there again. Argentinas and squeaks in Brazil's pretty talented. So there's there's so much and you know, the game's now grown so much and you just don't know, you don't know who's going to be that. Finland like, you know, they're in a position where they've got to got a gunner on their team and in market and so you know in our group too, So you know he can drop Florida at any given night Mercen crew player and that's the gunner for his national team. So there's a lot, there's a lot, and I think our groups to sleepy sneaking group. You know Germany, you Schroeder and a few other guys, play Finland, even Japan with Hachimura, it won't be easy beat. So it's going to be a tough sneaking group to get out of.
Speaker 1: Do you still have a bit of an affiliation with the Croatian team? I know you love Tony co coach and growing up. Do you do you still have that? I hope that they're just going to come out of nowhere and just play well.
Speaker 2: Like is it is? It kind of one of those things.
Speaker 1: Now it's they're not probably as as highly tired as they were back in the day of his time.
Speaker 3: I mean back in the day at the time. You have to remember it was a really testing time within Croatian history. Crozier just formed independence in the early nineties and went to their first Olympics as Croatia in ninety two. You know, the late Great Drayson Petrovitge and Tony and so the Croatian community all around the world. It was. It was a really really testing passionate time. So you know, even with with soccer, it was the same thing. I'd always support Croatia at the World Cups, albeit because Australia was never in the World Cups as a young fellow, like they never qualified. And then the one year that Croatia is finally qualified. I've grown up in Croatia. Australia finally qualified and they get put in the same for as Croatia. So I'm like, you know, you just it was tough obviously support in Australia, but I supported Croatia for so long in the World Cups austrail was there, but yeah, I mean I still I still support a lot of Croatial sports. I've got a lot of friends over there, families over there as well. Still have a lot of family over there, and was was going every year in the NBA season talk covid hit looking forward to getting back over there in the next couple of months.
Speaker 2: What would you what would you do in Croatia. What's the what's the number one thing you look forward to when if you're going to the off seasons was beach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a Mediterranean's beautiful. I mean the street of the culture, you know, it's it's just different. It's it's much more community. So it's you know, rather than be on your phone, it's catch up. It's just me at the catched up and coffee and people just sit there for three hours and three coffees or three beers or you know, alcohol starts. There's no there's no timeline for when alcohol starts in Croatia and summers, you know, like ten eleven am, they're already getting the lines out. It's just different people. When people are not as well off as we are in the Western world as far as material things and financially. But I think they have the mix of quality of life really down passed. I don't partment on an island down there for a number of years, about a decade, and I'd make sure i'd went there for about a month a year and in the off season and had a little high school journal.
Speaker 4: I can work outing as well, so that helped, and would literally just work out in the mornings and then just go to the beach and just lay in the sun and go through a swim, go to different things, and yeah, it's really cool, really cool.
Speaker 3: Excersially of people that people that are visited Mediterranean, you know, people are about you know, Saba, Grady, Italy and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, questions just right right up there as far as beauty of Mediterranean.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful place, and it's yeah, it's so good. I think like the detax of like the pressure like we've talked about and everything else of like the league and then finally getting that chance just to go like exhale, be able to go over spend time in my own kind of like enjoyment space of you know, home that kind of feels like is this There's nothing that you can really describe, like the feeling of you just being in your own element and then all the stress and everything else just kind of like washes away. And I like feel like maybe that's that's croation to you and hopefully you kind of get back there soon. We'll move on to the NBL. Now, you've been involved with the Sydney Kings for a number of years now, you've played for him, and I said, NBL MVP won the championship a lot, so it's it's interesting to me. I want to ask you. You've seen it grow like exponentially over the last five to ten years, right, what do you think because now it's they've got this ignite lead. You know, they've come in, they've seen what the Australians are doing, taking some of their talent over here with the mel ball, and they've kind of made their own league to say, you know what, we're going to try to replicate that in the US. First of all, what's over the five ten years, what's been the biggest difference you've seen in the NBA, because it has changed tremendously over the years.
Speaker 3: I'm just getting local talent backs helped obviously, I guessing Bond League opening up wallet for the most part investing into the league, but just the market. Your rule is genius, you know, having having been to get austrained talent back on Australian chores. I think a lot of American athletes now see the NBL as a stepping stone to you know, get to the NBA or get back to the NBA. You know, we have a lot of people that reach out to us that are you know, we're pretty good NBA players at one point that are trying to make their way back to the NBA that have fallen out for whatever reason, and they see the NBL as a really good path, especially to Sydneykinns. You know, we've had a great trek record of producing NBA talent that have gone backwards and forwards, including coaches, So we get a lot of calls as far as that goes. And I think, you know, with the way social media is the technology that the league is much more accessible now overseas. I have a lot of friends actually live in the US that watch a lot of our games, which is pretty pretty crazy considering start one two in the morning, which is really cool. But yeah, the league is now known about as a legit second third oftion after the NBA. You know, he's still Eurolea, but the night program. Yeah, he's still planning his kids. You know. I think, you know, come over to Australia, are you playing against grown man? And there's a few legends that are local Australian players for certain clubs that you know are physical and tough, and I think that really prepares to you. I think the NBA scouts, most most of them that you ask, would prefer to see talent coming over here because they can get a better analysis of them rather than just playing against you know what is what is similar ages or similar similar levels of physicality in the Night League. So I think it's done very well, continuing to grow, you know, when a TV deal looming in the next year or so, hopefully as well they can help grow the league. But it's in a good spot. But there's still still a lot of work to do, you know. Where we're doing great things in Sydney Kings obviously back to back champs, so trying to go for a three piece going to be tough. You know, with every championship we lose basically all our imports get poached to go overseas and make more money, which has happened again this season with lose Avia Cooks. So yeah, we're kind of in a rebuild phase of trying to find those imports and those star players, restructured our bench. But yeah, things have gone really well, especially you know in Sydney, like we had eighty one thousands throughout that Grand Final series. We had a season a record for our club as far as bumps on seats for a season, so things that things are gone really well.
Speaker 1: Was there something you always enjoyed and wanted to be a part time owner and you know the business side of basketball, because that always something you kind of wanted to get into, like post career, throughout your career.
Speaker 3: The deal I negotiated was I had an option for ownership upon retirement, and I had the option to either take ten percent, which was on the contract when I when I stopped playing, or I can just get a cash buy out of the value of those of those shares. At the time I put that in the contract just as a I wasn't sure whether I would I wouldn't upon retirement, and I ended up jumping at it just because I liked the direction of Paul Smith and our ownership group now with the dinner and family and Luke Longley's on board now and I think the way you know we're going to the club, it's been a no brainer. I think that investment is you know, done very very well. Thankfully I keep it in there. But yeah, it was always something that I knew a retirement it could transition me into something that I'm still passionate about without taking all my time away from my kids. And you know it is it probably takes more time than I thought it would have been an owner just because we have, you know, a lot of calls. You know, you're going to high coaches, you're going to a GM might call us at eleven PM and say, I've got this guy on the hook. I need an extra twenty k or fifty k to get blah blah blah blah. So there's a lot of work that goes into it. But yeah, I think it was the first few of its time in Australian sporting history. So pretty proud that a few other players have tried to do similar things and hopefully it goes as well for them as it did for me.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool. I always love when every players kind of get involved in post career with the business side of things. And I guess, like I think about AFL and AFL doesn't have private ownership, right, Can you tell you about the benefits? Because I tell people and compare it to like the NBA and ownership in that sense, and like kind of the benefits I come out it and the financials that come with it. I just I always going to think there's an opportunity maybe for the a f L to be privatized somewhat. Can you talk about I guess like some of the benefits of the NB are being probably owned and some of the teams and how that's been able to shape it over the years.
Speaker 3: First of all, they if I will them to be privately owned, so good luck with that. Pipe dreams because of the government owns around your league. Just if you didn't know that.
Speaker 2: It does as well. They remind me of.
Speaker 3: That's not going anywhere. That's not going anywhere. The government is not given that one up. I can tell you that much. Look, probably it's good and bad like this. There's times where as owners you lose money and you're like, holy crap, like look at it. Look at that company Zeros, you know, come after that. Minus that's that's not fun neither. But I think you can, you know, if you run a separate business or if you're involved in something that you've got a big company, you know, if you do have a bit of a loss, you can you can offset it obviously, And we see a lot of a lot of people do that in different sports. But it's a different I think when we can react to much faster private ownership, you know, we you know, say you need to hire or you need to cut an import or you need an opportunity to sign this star. With private ownership happens quickly. If you've got a board you need to go to to the X y Z, things can take a little bit longer. I know they thought it's a little bit different than they've got a GM and they've got a list manager and all that kind of stuff. But that's the benefits and and and generally it's I think when you have private ownership, it's generally people that are involved in the ownership group of passionate about the game. They're passionate about the club. You know, they wear they're hard on this leave ownerships for passionate about you know, just winning and losing. You see, you know, like majority around and Paul Smith told him so many times, you got to chill out man, because he takes losses harder than the player, honestly, Like he takes losses so hard man, like driving homes dead silence. He's probably depressed the next day, and then he's getting better the second day and the third day. But it shows that you need you need owners like that can and that you know, want to do the right thing by their club. And sometimes they revercept the mark sometimes they don't, but you want that passion. I think you don't see that with corporatized type ownership instructus because you don't even know who the person is, right, it's all these people that you don't really know, don't hear from. Whereas with ownership, I think you know fans to really respect someone that's putting their hard on their sleeve and sometimes losing money and sometimes making mistakes and admitting them. And I think that's a cool thing about one in the NBL, and I think it's continuing to be a place that I've got former teammates in mine and people in the NBA reaching out about trying to get shares in different clubs. So I think it's see now as a lead, disustainable and doing well.
Speaker 1: It's so cool to see the end bike to see basketball grow exponentially in Australia over the last tew five to ten years, and it's been awesome, I guess. So with the technology and everything that's going on, you can actually access all these different leagues around the world and it allows for Australia to be seen on that world map, and it's been so cool to see some big names come over here and people like yourself, you know what you're saying, you know, asking you about it and you're like, oh my gosh, like we're hey, it's legit, Like it's not just like some god I'm not going to say cupcake.
Speaker 2: League, but oh gosh, you wouldn't take that too well.
Speaker 1: But it's cool to see a change over the years he's been on this podcast, man, and no, but no, it's it's it's been so cool to see a change over the years. Man, it's been awesome to see what they've been able to do with it and bring it to the status that it is now. And some news I want to talk about. The NBA of playoffs are obviously on right now. By the time this comes out, there's a question mark whether sorry, the Lakers are going to knock the Warriors out your team? And is there what's your thoughts on who's gonna win it this year? Like do you think it's going to be you know, one of those the Lakers like that no one probably really expected at the beginning of this kind of playoffs, but now are going on a bit of a run, or you think someone else will will maybe take the top honors.
Speaker 3: You know, I've got the game on right now in the background Miami, New York. I never would have picked Miami to get this far, and they continue the surprise the Lakers. You know, we're halfer and puffing into the plane, and you know, they get they get in. It's just a hard of call. Boston now down as we speak in there, down three two, going back to leave Philly for Game six. So it's all out of places I had. Boston. I just thought they you know, they looked a bit more focused through the regular season after they're lost, but they're not looking too good now. I think their coach probably a little bit of inexperiences playing as part Warriors. Very close to being defeated by the Lakers. I think, you know, the Warriors should make a series out of it. I thought it'd go seven, but it's hard to call. Look my heart, no December. I'd love to see Denver get there. Just the season they've had. I think they're playing a really good, really enjoyable brand of basketball. But the ball moves, you know, Joki is doing his thing. They've got a lot of weapons now, a lot, a lot of good role players. I think they should get that series against Phoenix, but I can't call it. I really can't call a different team. And you know, Boston was my pick and I thought they get through Philly four two four three, and so they might lose that series. So this is what you want, though, like as a fan, like you want you want parody where you just can't call it, like it's boring sometimes obviously being a former Warrior, but after I left, you've got the Kdra Warriors, it was kind of like, alright, let's just hurry up and fast forward to the finals, giving their trophy and move on. Not as fun for the average fan, right, it's kind of you kind of know what's going to happen, barring injuries. So this season I think it's been much much more enjoyable because you just you don't know who's gonna win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's but like you said, every team that I pecked is like all the ropes at the moment. So I'm just like shitting myself. I've got no idea what I'm going to get here. We were going for Jock at the moment, We're going for the signs with there, like you said, they're on the ropes at the moment too, So who knows what's going to happen. I'm excited though it's yeah, it's good to be uncertain of who's going to be the winner.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to the very end of this.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I want to ask this because I always like to finish on a positive note. You've mentioned them a few times, you're kiddos, and you've mentioned how they don't quite understand. I guess you know what you've been able to accomplish in your life and everything that you've been able to do and continuously do.
Speaker 2: How is it being a dad? Like has it totally changed your life? And you know.
Speaker 1: That's like the priority, Like everyone talks about this this moment you have your first kid and you just you never realize how much it affects you. And then talking to people, you love your kids more than anything, and it's so cool. I think to have that family that loves you for who you are, no matter what happens, and to have those people in your corner, and it's something that everyone I hope experiences in this life. And how do you how do you feel now being a dad to the kiddos?
Speaker 3: Obviously great, it's not explainable unce you have kids. Really, I wish you know, I always had a plan to have my kids towards the end of my career so that they're not in the helps, you know, the hustle muscle of the NBA being created, school and all that. So my plan was that by the time I retire, I've got three or four more years left in the league, let's say professional sports. By the time they starts school, I want to be based on base at I don't want to top them and changing but now almost not regret, but I feel like I would have loved to have my kids earlier, just because those days where you having a bad day or a bad season or a bad game, you come home and that a good ship, Like it's really cool, just come home because your dad, right, So that's been really cool. Just they're going through their little journey of starting school and starting junior sport. So I think going to their junior sports bringing out a lot of you know, memories for me about when I started and the joy that it brings and the ups and the downs. And then also just like the two two boys are just so completely different, you know, and the way they go about things, you know, even from passions, and how they react to adversity, is completely different. It's kind of amazing. It's like they're not even related at times. And that's a beaudea of having kids. And most people say that the brothers or brother and sister are always a little bit different when they handle him. So I enjoyed that, and I'm thankful and lucky and privilege that in a postilar in life where I don't need a full time nine till five and I can I can go and drop my kids off at school and pick them up, and I can go to local sporting things. And my parents did their best with that but didn't have a lot of time for that at times. The sport they did, but like a lot of the school activities, they just were working right. So I've got to really, you know, really, I'm really thankful to be able to basically be around them. People said that and make sure they grow into respectable young men.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Are they playing basketball at the moment? Are they playing other sport?
Speaker 3: No? Not yet, man, Yeah, the firstborn's kind of I think he's anti what what his dad did, kind of you know for that phase. But he likes soccer at the moment, he's playing soccer at the moment, so put the little one in soccer as well. I'm trying to get him to do a bunch of different stuff. They do jiu jitsu and soccer. At the moment, we'll throw him into basketball next year. Four year old's My four year old's super athletic and super quartermating. He's been recruited by He's already being recruited to play rugby. I'm like, he's for you. He's four years old. And they're like, oh, you know, he spoke to your son had rugby pops, Like, spoke to your son and he said he wants to play rugby. I'm like, he's poor. Like if you asked him to do to be a flying man, will be like yes. But anyway he is. He's very, very specially aware, so that I just had a truckle like recruiting pause at four years old, but I haven't done a bunch of stuff. I think has been really good for him, especially self confidence. I highly recommend that for kids that you know, maybe you're struggling a little bit or whatever, like awesome, awesome, awesome sport teaches him how to fall as well, which can be important for our sports. And soccer has been a blessing because it's like, you know, six year old has had some issues in his feet, like coordination, and he's just really transitioning out of that well with soccer because it's just teaching him, you know, when he puts the time Anthony and training that he's getting better and better. So I hope they'll be basketball. Like people get to a point where they realize, unless I'm a goalkeeper, soccer is probably not for me. I probably need to find something else. But I'm not one of those parents it's like you must play basketball, you must say this. I'm like, do whatever you want as much as you can till probably nine or ten, and then we're going to be like, hey, pick one of these to go into full time throughout the rest. That's kind of my mentality. More you experience, the better it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just I think in the younger, younger years of trying to figure out just kind of coordination of your body and anything else, like I was the sale played soccer and then finally you picked one and kind of roll with it similar to yourself, and well, first out, what's next for you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I know you're doing the Sydney kingk stuff. You're enjoying the family time. What other passions are you in at the moment.
Speaker 3: I was using a podcast, much like yourself, so I'm going to kind of revamp that over the next month or two, the process of building what has been almost forever a full time studio, so, you know, much like yourself. We have a lot of guest lined up that I was cognizant. I'm not not having guests on until I'm fully professional, so looking forward to that. Still investing in a lot of different different businesses and startups and some metric capital stuff here in Australia, mainly some stuff in the US, and planned hopefully a shootload of poker loft playing poker, so that's kind of my vice away from you know, everything else in the world. It's kind of my version of fishing or surfing or whatever is mine is poker because like you get you play poker and your your brain's focused on on the now. You don't focus about what happened yesterday or ship things on on your life or the future. You focused on that, so and then swing a lot of time with the family. So they're kind of my my main things to keep my day going right now, and it's pretty pretty brasy for the most.
Speaker 1: Part for sure. Man, Well, well thanks so much for coming on. Andrew absolute absolute legend mate. If you haven't heard, listen to his podcast Rogue Bugs. Absolutely awesome. He's got basketball and everything else he's covering. He's got some exciting guests coming up too. He's a he's an absolute legend in the Australian sportings fere sporting sphere. And I'm absolutely I'm honored to have you on Man, You're You're someone I've always enjoyed listening to, enjoyed your journey and over the years and and be able to watch you and it's a it's an absolute honor to talk to you. So I want to say a massive, massive thank you for coming on and and hanging out.
Speaker 2: With us filling the a Maicon cock show.
Speaker 3: Nice tell me