Speaker 1: My name's Tatasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country. Te Glenn Young Ganya Niana, kaka ya Ya Binahwaka Nian our gay In Nimbini, yakarum jar Doumayagumika Umaga Ihowaka Nile Waman damon Immalan Bumba bang gadabama In and now in Waka ghana on yakarum jar Watanadana. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank acknowledge and respect the Abiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. Hello, my friends, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes your personal finances fun, especially on a Friday. The gang is back together for another edition of Friday Drinks, where we gather to celebrate you our clever She's on the Money Community Victoria Devine and joining me this week. Is the winsome Miss Jessgariici with our community's best money wins and of course, the benevolent Miss beck Sayed is here bracing broke tips glore. Welcome, my friends. We're also going to be covering some juicy money dilemmas which seem to be rather investment coded.
Speaker 4: This week.
Speaker 3: One community member slid into our DMS with I would say a concern about couple's money values, while another leftist of voicemail devoted to dollar cost averaging are the best ways that we can do it? Do you fancy having your dilemma discussed on our podcast? Come on through, my friends. All you need to do is head to our podcast page on the She's on the Money website, record a little punchy dilemma of your own, and who knows, your query might just make the cut better. Yet, it might even help other listeners just like you work through their money woes. Now, wouldn't you know what, my friends? It is for our five star review? Are you strapped in? Are you ready?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? The five star review time is where we get to hear from our lovely listeners about the ways that they are finding financial independence and confidence with a little help from us and the show. This one comes from a friend called Amy, who says, hey, guys, I am sure you get a million messages like these, arguably not a million week. We would like more, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for the advice you have given. I was going through some money problems recently caused by my own reckless spending and seriously considered taking out a personal loan as I was too embarrassed to ask for help, But in the process of applying for it, there was a little voice in the back of my head that sounded suspiciously like you guys, telling me to check out other options first. Luckily, I am extremely fortunate and was able to get my parents to reduce my board for a couple of months while I sought my stuff out. It was definitely the wake up call that I needed, and I cannot thank you guys enough for playing a part in it. Oh idea that we're like the little sound on your shoulder like don't do this, yes, like the fairly odd parents like, which is like a bit how you go in fairies be like don't do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh that's gorgeous, because.
Speaker 3: It really is a slippery slope. So I'm really glad that you didn't. Proud of you and thank you so much. I love that Amy. It sounds like our voices are maybe living a little bit rent free in your head, or maybe we should start paying you bored. We are so proud of you exploring your options and honestly finding a way out, because there's always another option. If we've taught you anything interesting about your finances or how to make your dollars go a little bit further, please let us know by leaving a five star review for She's on the Money on Apple, podcast, Spotify, or honestly, wherever you tune in. We take them in our dms. I take them in my DMS. I will take carry a pigeon literally anything. All right, jessic Ricci, are you buckled in? And are you ready? I am a question of the week time and this one might call for a little bit of ar capella. Okay, Sue wants to know what's your karaoke song and do you have matching dance moves?
Speaker 5: My goodness, I fear I avoid karaoke like it's my I don't think I've been.
Speaker 3: Usual adult life, really, I just feel like you're a carrier.
Speaker 5: No, this is my worst nightmare because I cannot even carry a tune and my social anxiety, all these people looking at me no like I can't. I would literally need to be even hammered. I don't think you could convince me to get on that stage.
Speaker 3: But if we were to convince you to get on the stage, what song would you be most comfortable singing?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm in a belt out some t swift. Put on any of the discography, proferably something offbeat, you know, maybe like paper Rings or something fun like that.
Speaker 3: A reputation. But yeah, we can't convince you to do the dance a chance in hell. That's crazy. I feel like you're the exact opposite. I love I saw that coming a million but I thought you would say, yeah, I love karaoke, it's really fun.
Speaker 5: I will support, I will cheer, I will woogle people like I'll go to care.
Speaker 3: But you are such a wor girl. I'm not participating. Okay, all right, I feel like you'll move your shoulders. I'll be dancing on the sideline. I feel like you're the dreams that would be singing on the sidelines. But don't give you the microphone. Yeah, that's a fair that's a fair assessment because like at the Taylor Swift concert, we were screaming. That's true, Like every single lyric we were screaming them. Like, it's not like you were scared of being heard, jests, no one looking at me.
Speaker 4: Problem is not being perceived. But you have seen, you want to see, you want to move.
Speaker 3: She wants to be a karaoke girl.
Speaker 4: I get that. I get that. I get there. So maybe maybe alone you're a home I get you. How do I whittle it down? So definitely.
Speaker 3: I love that there's options, there's so many, so special to Mithiggans obviously, dreams, Gabrielle.
Speaker 4: Dreams, Ken came true.
Speaker 3: And then I know this is like this is like, you know, maybe ethically ambiguous, but I really quickly ambiguous.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 4: I love human nature.
Speaker 3: Michael Jackson and sorry, sorry, we don't need I know, and I'm trying to wean myself off. Oh no, no, no, like we can keep them. Sorry, they live in our past. That's they live in our past. Jackson, you know, just to be like questionable in terms of his decision making. But at the same time, I think he's not here anymore. So if you like his music pop Off Queen.
Speaker 4: Those are my three main ones, okay, and then there's so many more.
Speaker 3: But I don'teel like a man in the mirror would be something that you would be like all over. Actually wouldn't mind that, but I don't know if you could.
Speaker 4: Maybe I could.
Speaker 3: I trust the register change exactly, and what about you? Oh my god, I don't know. I feel so stumped. Like Jess Love a microphone, put it in front of me, do not make me sing. I can't sing my toddler the other mummy, stop mortifying, mortifying. I was just like singing. And he goes like I'm holding my toddler, cradling him, and like, for his entire life, I've sung to him while he's like going to sleep, you know, not every time, but sometimes, and he puts his fingers over my mouth and goes, mammy stop honestly, fair fair. So yeah, I'm not a karaoke girly, but if I was going to it would be a song that I know really well, like TLC Waterfalls.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, like I even.
Speaker 3: Know the rap part, which I think is so funny because it doesn't suit my personality at all.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't picked it for you, but I can see it.
Speaker 3: It's really fun or like a Natasha Beddingfield unwritten or something like something really honestly, the takia the better. Yeah, so that's where I would be. We are not, just to be very clear, we are not going to be hosting a Shoes on the Money karaoke event. It's not happening. I'm not comfortable with it. Jess isn't comfortable with it, but might do a side quest. I can see that in your future for sure. God, she hosts trivia, next up karaoke, She's on the Money branded. I'll be there to support sport. I will be there. Do not make me sing like I just can't get over the fact that I can't sing.
Speaker 4: You don't need to worry about that part.
Speaker 5: On the inside, I feel like I should be a good singer, and it really upsets me.
Speaker 3: Like I should be a good singer. I am not. Like what comes out of my mouth in the car is not what you would hear, like, I think it's way better than what it is in reality.
Speaker 4: And then you turn the radio down. You're like, am I hitting those notes? And you're like waiting, No, that was the song?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just enjoying the song totally, and I would like to live in that state of delusion. I don't need people with cameras being able to capture those moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 3: I agree. So if you ever think about Jess or I do in karaoke, just know we're amazing at it and we wouldn't want you to feel bad about your karaoke ability, so we would never get up on that stage.
Speaker 4: Well that's fair.
Speaker 3: We're just really thoughtful, aren't we. Just I couldn't agree more. All Right, guys, if you've got an excellent question for the pod, to send it on through to us. As you've heard, it does not have to be money related, but maybe ow she's on the karaoke playlist, should be like, we should make one of those.
Speaker 4: I god, we should should.
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Are you ready for more community money wins? Misters GRICI, please tell me what has our community been up to on the money win front this week? Firstly, Sharon has said money win.
Speaker 5: I've paid off my after pay, I've closed the account and I've deleted the app. Oh amazing, lots of people getting around her, you love to see it? Tell yeah, then I've got money in from Sammy, who said, I just hit two hundred and fifty sessions at my gym and they gave me one hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars alis katvoutcha Alis.
Speaker 5: Katie also had free shipping in a ten percent discount, so I got some new leggings for free. Oh my god, amazing love the year gym celebrates that.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money win from Chantale, who said it's actually a money loss, but a memory win. I took my daughter out for a bike rid I had on the weekend, and we had breakfast at a local cafe, and I then doubled down because the weather was beautiful, and we walked to our local bowling club and enjoyed a drink and some nibbles outside while we played Uno. I normally wouldn't spend fifty dollars in one morning eating and drinking out, but making memories.
Speaker 4: Is absolutely worth it.
Speaker 3: It's very true, and.
Speaker 5: That sounded just so wholesome to me, Like you know, in the sunshine, little breakfast together, sometimes it's money well spent. Then I've got one from Tara who said my vacuum mop broke and I needed to get a new one. I menased JB High Fire to look for the dice and washed g one, which they had listed for nine ninety nine. I then went online and Mayer had them on sale for three hundred and ninety five dollars and Jbhigh Fire price match, so I saved six hundred dollars. I have that dice and mop I paid one thousand dollars for it. I will say it was worth every penny. But if you can buy it for three hundred and ninety five dollars.
Speaker 3: That's one thousand.
Speaker 2: That's a steal deal.
Speaker 3: And oh brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 3: I haven't tried the dice in one have the What have I got? I've got the Bissel, yeah, and I love her. But she's like on a cord yeah, so I want like a cordless one because I'm not gonna lie. It's incredibly like good. Yeah, but the idea that I have to lug it out, plug it in do to cord things really good.
Speaker 5: The battery is like an hour, I'm pretty sure on it, which is like enough for me to do my house.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's so satisfied for anyone hasn't seen it. It mops and vacuums at the same time. So if you've got pets, like there's always pet hair on my floor no matter how much I run the robo back. So it's good because it doesn't block the mop. But then there's two little canisters, one for clean water that goes on the floor as you mop, and as you it sucks it back up, which is if you've got floorboards.
Speaker 3: But also you can see the dirty water. In a sense, it's so satisfying. My mistol does that as well. Really, right, why do I mop the floor and then go I'll just do a quick once over of the kitchen again because I don't know why. I feel like the kitchen needs doing twice for some reason, like it just does. And then the mop is dirty again, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Don't use this house.
Speaker 3: I've literally just cleaned it. I don't understand mopping till it's clear.
Speaker 4: Is Oh that would feel good.
Speaker 3: It feels so good not in this house.
Speaker 5: I've got a body win from Grace who said I didn't buy one single work lunch last week.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can't very good. Grace.
Speaker 5: Jason said I bought two new books and I got them from Marketplace. It was five dollars for both, which is a bargain if ever I've heard one. And then lastly, I've got money win from Aaron who said we were in the city for Vivid with our two kids and my five year old was insisting on getting a big pretzel, which is like, you know there's Venda hot pretzels five.
Speaker 3: Year old's page.
Speaker 5: They're so couldn't find them, she said, unfortunately, but today she went to Aldi picked up a box of six frozen ones six bucks.
Speaker 3: Sorry, what you can get giant frozen pretzels. I've had them before.
Speaker 5: They're very good. Actually, so I've had the pretzel sticks. I don't know if they do the twisty ones them in the air fryer. Stop it a little bit of molden salt.
Speaker 4: Okay, delicious.
Speaker 3: I didn't know this exist, Like, I want to go to Aldi a sap. I'm not pregnant, but that feels like a pregnancy cravy in my head. I'm like, oh yes. Also, Jess, I just saw on Instagram and I tagged you on Instagram in a picture of a pink air fryer. I need it. Ninja has a pink air fryer. I must have it.
Speaker 4: I literally did.
Speaker 3: Don't tell anybody, but while Jess was opening her phone I saw it and tagged her while we're recording the episode, and I was like, she needs to see this. She it's like a light pink.
Speaker 4: Oh that's cute. Oh now that's sorry, Hugh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Jess is building a house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta have that.
Speaker 3: Jess has a new kitchen and nobody else has seen the cabinet tree in her kitchen yet because she hasn't posted it. But I made her send me pictures of her cabinet tree in her kitchen, and I just know that it needs a pink air fryer. I'm really cute. I'm so excited to see this. Oh don't even it is the most exciting thing ever. All right, let's move on. Yes, Beck, I don't know if you can get better than six dollars for six frozen pretzels, but I feel like you often do top it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna be pretty close.
Speaker 3: I'd tell you what do you bring into the table? My friend?
Speaker 4: So well?
Speaker 3: Actually, first of all, pretzel I always get confused by them, to the small ones, crispy always like a chip, large pretzel like a bread.
Speaker 4: Would you say understood?
Speaker 3: Think crispy out that and today are fantastic negotiating tools for toddless. Yes, my kid will do so much for a pretzel. Yeah, hell yeah, Okay, same though, I got to get on these big pretzels. I'm going to get the big pretzels. I'll report that, thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: First broke tip I have from the community is from Christy, who says, go to Buddings. They do free kids crafts often on a Sunday. They have an indoor playground. Plus they have party pies and sausage rolls for the kids, so you don't have to buy big ones. It's a great option for.
Speaker 4: A rainy day.
Speaker 3: It is actually good free to do.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 3: Next one comes from a Stacey who says, if there's something you desperately want to watch on Prime and you're a bingital in one or two nights kind of person, sign up, watch the show, cancel the membership, and you can opt to have the remainder of your month's fee refunded versus paying for a whole month, which is a great idea.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know that movies and stuff like that as well, So I think that's so good.
Speaker 3: And I know this is really lazy of me, but it did remind me that this is something I want to tell freelancers or anyone who needs Adobe to like make money or just whatever you use it for.
Speaker 4: Adobe does this same thing. So if you sign up for a month to month not an annual subscription, you can say you have to cut up a video for a client or whatever you need to do. If you sign up, unfortunately, do you have to pay the full amount upfront, but then try and get your work done in one or two days, and then you cancel and you can opt for a refund like pro rated pro rade. It it's like two days off or whatever. It's like still like a hefty chunk. You're really not paying that much. So I think this is a great reminder.
Speaker 3: I think I said it recently on a podcast that I've just been threatening all my subscriptions, yer, like I just go in and threaten to cancel, Like I like, go into the account, hit cancel and see if like a retention thing comes up, and if it does, I'm like, thank you, I'll be taking that discount. And if it doesn't pop up, I'm like, I didn't mean it and likes it because there are some subscriptions that I do want to keep, but I also want a discount.
Speaker 4: So totally. I just got through three months of free Adobe. I'm obsessed with Adobe this morning because the same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed with. How creative I feel like you are consistently. It's really impressive. While you guys hear a little word from our sponsors, we're going to be plotting ways to be more creative with our money. So guys don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 3: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, she's on the Money Team. I have a question about dollar cost averaging in investing. I have worked out that I can invest about one thousand dollars every six months. I could invest that in smaller portions over the course of the six months, but I have been investing it as a thousand dollar lump some essentially every six months. I'm investing with Perla, and the brokerage fee is six dollars fifty. So the way that I thought about it was that that was a good percentage of the investment. But I keep hearing about dollar cost averaging, and I'm essentially wondering whether I should be doing this differently, whether I should be investing more frequently every fortnight or every month, or whether this is a good way to go. I'd love your advice and thoughts about this. Thank you.
Speaker 3: What do you reckon? Beeck? What would you do?
Speaker 4: Yes, I had never thought about that. So I guess like, if you're investing months every like six months or whatever, then you would hope that on the day that you invest the investment is low. But if you invested every day, or like every few days or every few weeks, then your chances of getting like some lower price some higher price.
Speaker 3: Is that what that is?
Speaker 4: Dollar cost averaging?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the idea of dollar cost averaging is that you make more frequent purchases, so statistically speaking, you're more likely to hit an average of a market, whereas our listener, for example, she's buying ones every six months, she's purchasing twice in a year, so statistically speaking, the chances of the market being in a positive spot are less likely, whereas if you were to purchase more regularly. The idea would be that sometimes you buy it's high, sometimes you buy it's low, and that it averages out, so you're kind of in the middle of the market, if that makes sense across the board.
Speaker 4: And I guess the downside is that I believe it six or fifty every time per transaction, per transaction, that seems like a hefty fee. I don't know. I'd a very per Yeah, I would like try and do it like consistently or like you know, shorter times in between personally, But.
Speaker 3: I've come with receipts, okay, tell us more. Okay. So she gave me enough information that I could put this into an online investment frequency calculator, which helps you understand what frequency would be the best strategy for your money. Now, this is obviously not financial advice, as in, I'm going to give a piece of financial advice, but it's not specific to you. And the way that I see it is you might choose to not invest this way just purely because it's your habits and you're trying to go no V, I really want to invest on an opply basis, or no V, I really want it to go into the market every two months. Like that's very different because if you're saying I will feel more committed because I'm investing regularly and I get to play with it more often. Therefore I'm contributing more, that's probably a really good thing for you. But there is a website, and I'll make sure it's in the show notes. It's investcalc dot GitHub, dot io, and I have used this a few times. It's not owned by any of the banks or any of the investing platforms, which I kind of like. And it's just an investment frequency calculator. So you've just got to take it as you will. And what it will do is it will take your investment frequency, your savings per month, your interest rate that you might get on your savings, your expected investment returns, and then your brokerage per investment, and it tells you how often investing would be optimal for you. Right, So for this example, our friend she's saying, I have one thousand dollars every six months, so we could probably assume that she's saving about one hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty six cents per month. Right, that makes two grand to you. I popped that in so I said every month, she's got one hundred and sixty six dollars and sixty six cents interest rate on savings. Today, a good savings account you could get around five percent. So this is just a point in time thing. So I have put five percent in the interest rate on savings. The expected investment returns. Again, we know that since inception the average rate of the Australian share markets return has been thirteen percent, but I've put nine because I feel like that seems to be what a lot of ETFs and a lot of investments have been returning over the last thirty years. I've then gone and looked up Perla's brokerage fee, and on average per investment it's six dollars fifty for Perler. So with all of that, this calculator has spat out. And I'll again make sure that these link is in the show notes, so you can do your own calculations and make your own decisions. But the optimal investment strategy apparently is investing eight hundred and thirty seven dollars once every five months. Interesting yeap, And this amount includes the brokerage and seven dollars interest. So it says that if you were to invest every single month over let me just get my laptop because I want specific numbers for you guys. It says here that if you were to invest, so this is over ten years, So this calculator goes all right, Well, if you're investing consistently for ten years and you invested the one hundred and sixty six every single month, your investment portfolio would be worth about thirty thousand, two hundred dollars. If you were to invest every three months, it would be worth thirty one thousand dollars. If you were to invest every five months, it would be worth thirty one thousand, one hundred dollars, and if you were to invest every ten months, it drops back down to just under thirty one thousand dollars. So like as you guys can see, like there's not heaps of difference. And obviously this is just like a here's the maths. Yeah, and just because the maths maths doesn't mean it's the best situation for you. But that's really interesting and I find it a really good way of making decisions because obviously, when you have brokerage, you're spending six dollars fifty just to get your money into the market, and that stuff adds up, like if you're spending six dollars fifty every single month, that money could have gone into your investment portfolio instead. So we do need to be really aware of how often we're investing. And I do think that there's this really big misconception that when we say and when I say we, when the market says invest consistently over the long term, it means every week or every month. Yeah, it doesn't actually mean that. It just means be consistent with your contributions to your investment portfolio. And every five months. You might go, vi, that doesn't make sense, like that feels like a long period of time. Well it's actually not, because our plan is to be investing for thirty, forty, fifty, maybe sixty years. So if we're doing that, every five months is actually very consistent. We just need to commit to that and it's a bit harder to feel that commitment when you're like, oh, it's just my savings sitting over there. I haven't invested them, Like, you know, we're making interest on our savings because obviously we'd have a high interest savings account while everything's banking up, and then we make an investment decision that makes sense for us.
Speaker 5: So it's worth remembering that five months isn't a rule of thumb for everyone. That's based on this specific and.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm like, I just want to be very clear. This is the calculator. I'm putting it in the link, like, that's not me saying please do this. That's absolutely not advice, but it's hey, look at what this specific example spat out, because it's not what you would have expected, especially because the narrative is so often invest every single month. Jess, it's a good idea. Let's just do our check in sounds like she was doing.
Speaker 4: She was on the right track, for sure.
Speaker 3: I feel like she is on the right track right she said, I'm investing one thousand dollars every six months. That seems pretty close.
Speaker 4: Banks Gold perfect, you do you boot.
Speaker 3: Absolutely anyway, that was really fun. I could keep talking about dollar cost averaging forever, which I think you guys know. Let's move on to our DM of the week. This DM concerns the values behind it, our investments. I'm just so excited about this next topics, specifically how our values might differ if we're in a relationship. So this community member messaged us and said, Hi, Victoria, Jess and beck I have a dilemma that's been eating away at me, and you just know it is because there were five exclamation marks after this. My partner and I have completely different approaches to money. I'm a planner and love having savings. Well, he believes money is just there to be enjoyed. Recently, I've started feeling resentful because I'm saying no to dinners, weekends away, and shopping so that I can hit my goals, while he's spending freely and still expects us to split everything evenly. We don't combine finances, but his choices are starting to impact mine. Am I being too rigid with my money? Or is this something that we need to have a bigger conversation about. I think we've answered a question like this before totally, and like that's just telling us or I think it's just telling us goal you're not alone. This is consistent. It's like the ying and yang, for sure.
Speaker 4: I think God and I've had a lot of these discussions recently for some reason. It's popping up at the moment in my world.
Speaker 3: But I think that like money and just everything, like the way you're brought up with money, Like we all know, like it's not just something we inherently have, Like it's not like you can.
Speaker 4: You know, you either have empathy or you don't have empathy. It's like money is not a part of human biology whatever, and so it's like makes sense that we have to like learn what our relationship is with this foreign object. Some people are really good at making sure that they're getting the best deal in every way, and my brain personally doesn't work like that, and some people's does and some people don't. It just really depends on the way your brain works, and also the way you were brought up, I suppose. But I think like even then it's a situation that money is very important to you, Money is not very important to your partner already is, but in this way where it's like should be used for joy and pleasure and all these things. Which I understand because I'm on the same wavelength. I think that we should be enjoying the fruits of our labor every day in every way. But I think that there is certainly a really nice middle ground. It doesn't have to be super frugal or just like splurge all the time. But I think as long as your partner knows why it's important to you and what that looks like, and you as well understanding their point of view as well, I think you can come to a nice middle ground where you'll maybe like, hey, let's save this amount of money, or if you want to go out and splurge, then we can do that, but I won't be financially contributing because sometimes you just want like someone to go with. You want to be able to go to the movies or go to a fancy restaurant, but you don't want to go alone. So if your partner's like, i'll pay for it, cool, go enjoy the fruits of their labor. But I think there is a middle ground and you can reach that just having a big conversation about it all.
Speaker 3: And it sounds a lot like it's about mindset, like your mindset where you're like no, you should always like just enjoy the fruits of your labor. And like, then I look at Jess and my money mindset in comparison to yours, and I go, well, Beck, my money mindset is that by doing that, you're stealing from future you. And like, I'm making my life harder for future me to enjoy things that are bigger and better. And I think it's about instant and delayed gratification. And that's why getting into it is really helpful. Jess, what would you do? I think like there's two ways it can go.
Speaker 5: I think either you sit down, you have the conversation, you reach that middle ground and you find compromise. Or I think, like it is pragmatic to talk about the fact that it may just be a point of difference that is too significant. I think your relationship with money, I would equate it to like a personal value.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes you meet people and you go we click.
Speaker 5: On so many levels, we have so much in common that politically our opinions really differ. Or you know, our core values when it comes to the way that we move in the world are very different, and that can sometimes be a mountain that is too high to overcome. I think it's important to acknowledge that because if you are someone who is in a relationship and you're getting resentful like that, I think that's quite a dangerous emotion to be feeling. So if you haven't already addressing it is super important and saying hey, this is how I'm feeling, this is how you're feeling.
Speaker 3: Is there a middle ground? What does that look like?
Speaker 5: But also, if you really want to live your life one way and your partner really wants to live their life another way, it is also worth looking at critically and thinking, well, what are the implications long term? True, because if you're gonna be with someon of for the rest of your lives and those things don't align, it can be a really uncomfortable situation, and like emotionally, that can take a toll. Resent is a really negative feeling, and resent then grows into all of these other types of emotions. It can become anger, it can become you know, all those things that then drive a wedge between what I'm sure started out as a very wonderful and loving relationship. And so it is I think, yes, in an ideal world, we're finding a middle ground and we're both talking and we're going, oh, like we can do what everybody wants. But I also just wanted to say, like, sometimes like you just don't align with the person you're with on key things. Yeah, and I personally think money is one of those key things where if you can't find a way to make it work, that is also okay, and you maybe will need to.
Speaker 3: Look at other options. I feel like that's a really aggressive thing to say to someone single friends, Jess, is that what you're suggesting, You've just decided I'm going to be a matchmaker. I'll find you a new man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that you're being harsh on yourself. I do not think that you are being too rigid for having goals. I think that having goals is really important, and we know just from a research perspective that having goals means that you're a happier person. Incredible. But I think that you're now starting to feel like the fun Police, Like you're feeling that resentment and as you said before, Jess, it's not a good emotion to feel. But for me is a little alarm bell that should be telling you, hey, this arrangement doesn't feel fair anymore, Like there is some type of discrepancy in that relationship and you're not going to be surprised. Yess, what is it? What do you think I'm going to say? Is the key here? Got a big communication? But I really would sit down with him, and you know, not when you're annoyed, like just when you are starting to go all right, I want to sit down and have a big, proper conversation and like frame it less as you're spending too much and you're not doing what I'm doing, but more like I've realized that we have very different approaches to money, and I'm starting to feel a little bit resentful of that because you know, I'm trying really hard to achieve these goals which I feel like you're benefiting from, but then you're not actually contributing to those bigger goals and you're just yellowing life. And you know, I'm making all these sacrifices while also feeling like I'm being expected to keep up with spending that doesn't align to those sacrifices that I'm making, and I just I don't want this to become a bigger issue, like I want to be on the same page. Are we not working towards the same future? And yeah, I would then get really specific. I love a smart goal, but I also love that as a solution conversation. Does that make sense? Like, I love using a smart goal, I want a smart stand.
Speaker 4: For back.
Speaker 3: Solution.
Speaker 5: We mentioned smart goals on a Friday episode Took Me about you and Me and Beck.
Speaker 3: Trying to fumble through each was so funny.
Speaker 4: It's something like Solow Dear God.
Speaker 3: In my book, I wrote about SotM goals instead of smart goals because I feel like SotM goals like hit the mark a little bit better for our community. So that's about being specific the O. So yeah, SotM, I was like, can we do spell? Oh? Is actually about being optimistic because I don't think that you can set a goal that you're not positive about. Like, if you're setting a goal and you don't feel good, get rid of it. T is timely and then M is measurable. So it's about putting a framework around something. So just asking hey, what are your savings goals to your partner, they might go I've got none. Be like, oh, well, let's backtrack. What do you want to achieve? Like five years from now, what experiences do you want to have had? What you know things do you want to own instead of going oh, why no goal, which honestly feels so hard, like that's like saying how much water is in the ocean? You know, like that's not going to work for me. But if I said to you, beck Hey, like in five years, like what are some things that you want to say that you've done? Like we could probably start working towards creating some goals together and then you know what lifestyle spending can you comfortably say no to? Like are there some things that we could get rid of that you know could become savings? And they might go no none. You go, well, how do we have compromise? Because everything life is about compromise. If we want a bigger thing later, we've got to give up a smaller thing now, and that can be really hard because the smaller things they're good. Have you ever had an armored croissant? Be so for real? But like a real fresh one? That's the small thing It is hard to give up. I get it, like walking past the bakery and they've just pulled them out, Like I'm not saying, oh, giving up small things is just so easy, Like we do have to acknowledge that it's going to be challenging because it's a lifestyle shift, But like, what can we give up now for a bigger, better one later, whether that is a house, whether that is even just food, Like it could be, Hey, I'm going to budget my GROCERI is a lot stricter, and I'm not going to do all the nice dinners that I really love. Like if you love having salmon every night, well I get it, and you're like, well it's not that bad because I get it at the supermarket and cook it myself. Okay, but maybe instead of having the bougie weeknight dinners, we have some like pretty staple basics, then we actually have in the budget some money to go out on the weekend with and we don't feel guilty because we're not compromising our lifestyle anyway. I just think there's a lot of conversation to be had, and you're not being too rigid, You're being intentional, And I think that a conversation and good communication is what you need to have right now, because resentment honestly becomes a whole third person in your relationship. True, Like it just becomes a whole thing. Absolutely, Like if you resent someone, like, oh, it's just a whole other emotion that you just don't need. Well, that's my opinion, anyway, what did everybody else say?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: They were spicy. So the first question I asked the community was have you ever felt like a partner's financial habits were impacting your own goals? My friends, you are not alone? Sixty eight percent of you said yes. The next question I asked was should a higher spender contribute more towards shared lifestyle costs? So I found to this interesting. Twenty four percent of you said yes, are they twenty four? Twelve percent said no, and then sixty four percent said, well, it actually depends what the expense is.
Speaker 4: That's fairy.
Speaker 3: I thought that was fair too. The next question we asked was do you think couples need to have similar money values for a relationship to work? Eighty three percent of you said yes, and then I said, all right, what is your two cents? A lot of people had the same conversation as us. Communication talk to them. So I've just wiped all of those comments out because, like we can only say it so many times. First person said, being together, my partner's actually matured. We split on income percentage, and his fun money is just his someone else said, are you confusing our goals with your goals? Do you even want the same things in life?
Speaker 5: Which again is like a bigger conversation around you know, it's okay to have different goals.
Speaker 3: Located to different people.
Speaker 5: I think you need to be, but if you're going two different places, sometimes that doesn't always work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone else said, you need to sit him down and talk about a shared budget even though you don't have shared savings, it's important to be on the same page, which I think is true. Like, even before I shared money with Steve, we had sat down and talked about budgeting and talked about where we were allocating our income, Like I knew what his budget looked like, even though I didn't have access or didn't spend any of his money. And we didn't even have a shared account because we didn't need one at that point. And I think you were like this too, just where we didn't need a shared account for rent or anything, because we just told our rental company, oh, I do fifty, he does fifty, and then it would just get taken out of our respective bank accounts each month. Yeah, when we.
Speaker 5: Moved in together, we have a shared account for like groceries and stuff, but everything else we pretty much keep separate.
Speaker 3: It's our own money. Yeah, See, everyone's different. We didn't do that. I would do groceries and stuff and then he would pay for fixed bills and like it would kind of all come out in the wash. It's just again, if one of you.
Speaker 5: Was, like if me or my I don't know, one of us was happy in one of it wasn't, then you go, oh god, nightmare right, Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it's a problem. And thankfully we've always been on the same page. But there's been people I've dated, like prior to being married and obviously, but like that, I've been on very different pages with and even operated with them differently. Like I was in a relationship before Steve for a very long time, even that situation was completely different. Again, so it's not even just like that's how Victoria operates. It's like every relationship is different.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Someone else said, we have two children and a mortgage and just contribute an equal amount of shared expenses. My husband and I have been together for eight years and we still don't share money because I think he spends too much. It works really well for us, and there's no guilt and then I can actually buy what I want and set goals that are.
Speaker 4: Just for me.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that definitely, But you need to sit down and go, okay, cool, because if you're not living together and they are kind of just like spending money, willy nilly, yeah, not really different story to you, a different story. But if you're living together and you're like, well, these are our goals, this is what we're achieving anyway. Another person said, I don't actually think this is an issue if they can afford their lifestyle and can meet their savings goals at fair point. Another person said, I really think that you need to be spending on a budget. Anything falling outside of this and they want to do with you, they have to front the upfront cost. And then this one's like maybe stroking my ego a little bit. And this is where I'm going to end it. They said, until I found your podcast, I was the highest spender, and I was the one who had my head in the sand, had no idea that it was even a problem. Financial education changed that for me.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Maybe say to your partner, I get a podcast you love, solve all your problems, and you know what, if they don't love it, you can still stay. Do not worry? All right, well, my friends, when it comes to money chats, I don't think that there is any time like the present, and I'm afraid that's all we have time for today. If you've enjoyed today's episode, please rate us wherever you get your podcasts. It does the algorithm thing. I don't know what the algorithm thing is, but I've heard it is good for the algorithm thing, and the algorithm thing means that more people and more ears get to listen to us. Or you can read us the old fashioned way, which is by telling your friends. So thank you for joining us on your morning commutes, maybe your desk lunch or your hot girl book. And we will see you bright and early on Monday morning for our money diary. We appreciate you, We love you. Have best weekend, guys. Bye, bye, guys. Bye.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 3: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 6: Read the PDS TMD, and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 3: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized re presentatives of money sherper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine