Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They're right. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Max Drag Queen, who was the fifth eliminated queen from RuPaul's Drag Race down Under season four. This week we saw a queen go home that obviously had a lot of emotions bubbling below the surface. I really enjoyed Max on this series, and I think while they were eliminated, we've only been given a glimpse of what she will be able to achieve in the space of entertainment moving forward. Max will share her thoughts on Michelle's decision to send her home and if a queen that has hit the bottom two three times is the most deserved to be eliminated. We will unpack bringing raw emotions into a competition like this and if they help or hinder your time on RuPaul's Drag Race. I ask about the hookup and we will find out what happened next and where Freyer sits in her life right now. You will get everything from what an acting challenge is really like. If Hannah Conder was wasted as a guest, and what she thinks of maddow kind critiques, which were.
Speaker 2: A little bit out of the box.
Speaker 1: There's actually so much to talk about, with so many inside revelations. So guys sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of RuPaul's drag Race down Under season four. Oh my god, Max, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing better now that I've seen your face. How are you?
Speaker 1: So? I'm well, I'm well. But you know what, you were the only queen this year that I actually knew of going into this season, So when I saw your name come up, I was like, I've seen Max perform a lot of times and I just can't wait to see how you go on this season. So I'm a fan.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's very, very kind of you to say hello, thank you. That's I'm glad I already have blush on our lives. I'd be like, I'm blushing. You know.
Speaker 1: It's so weird though, I keep thinking about this throughout this season. I feel so patriotic about Victorian queens on this series. Do you feel like you are representing your state? Like, what does it feel like when you're in the competition?
Speaker 2: It didn't necessarily feel like we were representing our states. I mean, the Brisbane girls were really like vocal about being from Brisbane. I feel like it's because they haven't had as much like representation on the show thus far, so they were quite proud. The New Zealand girls, Olivia was very proud to be doing it for Wellington, but I think the Sydney and Melbourne girls were like, it's just another gig. Not to say that we didn't appreciate it and the opportunity, but like we were really just like ah, I mean across Lazy, Brenda and I we were like the triangle of like Melbourne Drag.
Speaker 1: I want to know what your thoughts are though on Melbourne's signature drag, because I feel because I've traveled around Australia a lot. I've even seen the Drag shows over in New Zealand, so like for me, I feel like there's a bit of an esthetic or there's there's a flavor that comes to being from a particular town. Do you Melbourne has like a signature of feel and look to it.
Speaker 2: I've always said, and this kind of changes every now and then, but I kind of feel like Sydney is so show girl based because of like Priscilla and things like that. This sounds like after just saying that, but like Sydney is a good face like they're quite like face value, they're really good when it comes to community and heart, I genuinely, with my full chest think that Melbourne takes the cake for that. I think I'm just speaking to my own personal experience when I say that, though Melbourne drag and Melbourne like queer community feels so like gay communities can be, we know how it is, but like it feels like there's more of a heart in Melbourne, and I think that shows through our drag as well.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I think about Melbourne is that I think the queens get off the stage and interact with audiences a little bit more, and there's a little bit more personality or approachability.
Speaker 2: Maybe I agree, I I wholeheartedly agree. I feel like Sydney girls get off the stage and go back to the dressing room and then don't come out for the rest of the night. I am someone that's like, well, why not interact with the people that you're basically can I swear on.
Speaker 1: This, yeah, go for it? Fucking sweat?
Speaker 2: Why don't interact with the people. I've been I fucking all night, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I've seen you perform, and I've watched you get off the stage and be incredibly approachable, and it's one of the things about you that I've always appreciated is your ability to sort of bring yourself down to a level when you look like the way that you look like, you look like a fierce queen that would scare the shit out of someone. But then you'll be like, hey, how I.
Speaker 2: That's really sweet of you to say. I feel like, I'm not mean, I'm just painted that way, you know, Like I'm like I want to I feel like that's people come out to watch you, and they're in the bar supporting you, and I can tell who's there to have a party and who's there to watch drag, and I feel like to make sure that I still have people in the audience that want to see drag, I'm like, the least I can do is have a conversation and be personable. I feel like it makes my night just as much as it makes like somebody else's. So thank you for saying that.
Speaker 1: It's funny because like back in the day, there was a place called the Exchange. This is before your time, but it was.
Speaker 2: Aware of her. Though I've heard many stories.
Speaker 1: And the Queen's backstage because I used to know a lot of them and would go backstage. Actually I didn't know that my partner would. He would drag me backstage and it was hilarious to listen to the banter that was bet all of them, because the banter backstage was always more savage than it was on stage, like they had sort of a stage persona. Where then in Melbourne, I feel like the evolution of drag has been to bring that to the stage and so that old banter that used to be sort of so exciting to listen to and so entertaining has been brought to the stage and I love that.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite thing about Yeah, Melbourne drag is the fact that we are able to We're able to be caddy and like, you know, shady with each other, but we know in our heart that we wouldn't say it unless we loved each other. I think a lot of places can say that they do this, but in Melbourne you actually feel it. So I'm glad you like I'm glad you see that, and I'm glad that you like appreciate it and understand it and makes it feel like, Okay, we're not just doing this and be like a failed bit.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it's it's actually quite amazing and I feel very proud of it. It's interesting getting into the Rouphoul series four, getting onto this show for someone like you, who is quite recognizable amongst communities, we'll use scared about what that would do for your ability to be booked. Yes, it's going to level you up in the sense that you know, globally, people are probably going to know you more and now you've got that on your resume. But is there a chance that you think to yourself, oh God, if I go on this show, I might be seeing a certain way and then I might not be booked anymore.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a thought that crossed my mind. The only reason I guess, under all my circumstances of actually doing the show, of why I did in fact go and do the show was because it was an opportunity to further my career, so I didn't want to waste it. And I feel like at my heart, like in my heart, I've worked on being like this sounds so wanky, but I'm like, I feel like I've really worked on trying to be like a good person, and I'm like, as much as there is, like you know, a bit of shade or whatever towards girls in my season, or the tighter I fabric that they pick, I feel like in my heart, I'm like, there was no way that this would be an opportunity didn't serve me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think as well, there's something very warm about you. There's something very vulnerable about you. There's something very fragile about you in some ways. And I don't know whether or not watching you on Drag Race this season it might have had to do with the grief that you were going through with a loss in your life and the fact that you'd had a breakup. But did you think that vulnerability being on the show helped you or do you think it hindered you.
Speaker 2: I feel like in terms of people connecting with me as a human being and maybe as a drug artist as well, I feel like it has definitely served me well. I feel like it's been quite helpful. Is that I'm not just this like face value, like pretty girl that can do the splits, which is like I guess a stereotype or like an archetype that is on the show. I guess quite regularly, I feel like, you know, I am a human being and I do have things gone out of my life, and I'm not going to mask my emotions and I'm not going to pretend that everything is fine, and because famously right now it's raining, it's pouring, actually like I'm experiencing a still experiencing grief in such a like a heavy sort of way. But yeah, do I think that these challenges and these I guess the actual layout of Drag Race was helpful for me at that time. No, I do not think it was very serving to my soul as a human being for this period of time.
Speaker 1: It is interesting that we talk about there whether or not the actual experience can help us with a process. I tell people because people contact me a lot. I mean, I've done five hundred episodes of talking about reality television, so people contact me a lot about going on these shows and what they should do. And I tell people, just grab your bag of crap and unpack it in front of the in front of the television, because it will help people connect to you. And whilst it will be uncomfortable and I absolutely understand the uncomfortability of being so vulnerable in front of the camera. I think that the connection that you've had this e in with being truly yourself and being so raw made you more accessible than anyone else.
Speaker 2: I feel like, as much as we want to see you know, I'm sure as much as people would have loved to have seen me win a challenge or even win the entire season, I'm like, oh no, I like I jokingly say, and I feel like I say jokingly, but I think I kind of mean it as I'm like, I think I've won the hearts of the hearts of many. I like I act like I'm the people's princess, and that is funny considering like isis is like the reigning queen. I'm like, technically I am a princess if you want to like get into it. But yeah, I think that honestly, after like after my experiences, the like people that have reached out in terms of like other people that have lost their parents and whatever like that's been, I'm like, oh cool, I've actually like had an impact somewhere, Like it hasn't just been like oh I did this show and nothing really like I didn't win. I didn't win a challenge I didn't like. I don't even like I won the lip SYNX you know what I mean. Like it like it's it's just cool to have made an impact in some capacity, and as an emotional person, it's comforting to know that those impacts were like emotion based.
Speaker 1: I think, and maybe this is not the right vox pop but maybe it's just my own impression. But over the history of reality television in the world, it's the people that are the most vulnerable on television, not the people that win, that have the longest career. And that's because, yes, there's an accolade and there's a response from the audience if you're a winner. But I think that what people want more than to watch people win is to relate and to have some currency with what they're watching on television.
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying that. It's quite reassuring. I thought I was going to go into this today, like this whole day of like press being like great, I get to talk about how I lost. But like you, you're so insightful, and I feel like you, like really well, obviously you understand it, but I feel like you really understand it. It's very very comforting.
Speaker 1: I just think it's a celebration, you know what. And I say this to Stan Australia as well, Like, when I get a chance to talk to people, I always think it's your chance. It's your time to share your story and show us a little bit of behind the scenes and be kind of unfiltered in a way, do you know what I mean? Like, so much of what gets put on the television in the end, regardless of what series you're on or what format you're on, it can be sort of changed a little bit. But when I get to sit down and talk to these people, I'm like, I want to elevate you and I want to find out how you feel.
Speaker 2: No, it's great because famously I'm a girl that has a lot of feelings. So thank you for giving me a space to do that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm just going to try not to be emotional talking to you about the grief in your life, because I did relate to that, and I know so many people that I spoke to also related to it as well. And there's no point in having a podcast where two people are being emotional, So I'll just try and hold it together.
Speaker 2: Look, if we wanted to sit here and cry it like I'd do it another time. I'm like, if you live in Melbourne, I'm like, we can just go get a y on Chapel Street or something like.
Speaker 1: I'm here for it, babe. Was there a romance behind the scenes or was that for camera? Like, you know, was there any high I have a romantic involvement with one of the other queens. I mean, I know what I saw and I hear what I hear, but I want to know from you. Was there a romance?
Speaker 2: There was definitely a schomance. We For me personally, there was already so much kind of going on, and it felt very clear that there was a certain I don't want to use like TV terms, but it felt like there was definitely that was something that the show wanted more of, and I think it was I'm like, I was going through a breakup. I just lost my mom. I was like, I'm not going to just start fucking fraending on camera like that was it is crazy to me? I was like, was Freyer someone that I felt comfortable cuddling up to on the bus ride home? Yes? Did we sneak a kiss here and there? Yes? Am I a human being that was grieving and didn't have grinder. Yes, like just yeah, it was definitely a schromance. But we're like, we're really really good friends now.
Speaker 1: And it's none of my business, but it would remissive me not to ask you this question. Did you see all the deal with this?
Speaker 2: Did see the deal? Raya and I have had many visits post filming.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel gross and creepy because I'm like forty five and I'm like, now, talk to me. Did you hook up with them? You know?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think she cares. She's pretty open book as well, like we have not sealed the deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's why.
Speaker 2: It was very aware of our time and place. But definitely sisters, but like sisters from like Tasmania or something.
Speaker 1: That sounds worse. Okay, we'll move on. Let's move on. The Acting Challenge to me, scares the shit out of me when I watch that every year, because I remember when I was younger, my dad wanted me to be an actor, and so I think I thought I wanted to be an actor, and so I had auditions and I could never remember my lines, and I just think that this particular challenge is difficult. How hard was it to be able to commit to this challenge. Was it as impossible as I feel it looks?
Speaker 2: Again, it's it was very rooted in. We filmed it on a day that I was not feeling fantastic. And I have a certificate in screen acting. I'm a theater kid, Like I wasn't worried about this challenge. I still don't think that I did a bad job. And I was the only queen in the entirety of my cast to have been completely off script. And I'll tell you why. That's even more impressive because they gave us an hour to learn it whilst also getting into drag and I was the first person to go up. I was also like, there was no notes from Reese so like after the first take. So basically I would just have to say that this challenge was stupid and it reminded me of something they would have done on season one of Down Under, Like it was a dumb challenge. It was really silly, and I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a good way, or like in a bad way, Like what do you mean.
Speaker 2: In a bad way. I don't think that they knew what they were judging for with this challenge as well, Like like one of the guests. The guest judge literally said like if I was, you know, I haven't seen the episode. I don't yet, I don't what makes it in. But the guest judge said to me like, I think you got the role. My critiques were so like in the guest judge and even Reese at some points were like, yeah, you did a great job, and you look great tonight, to the point where we go back to Untucked and the first thing Freya and Nikita say are like, oh, you're in the top this week, Max, and I was like, oh wow. I was like, yeah, well, do you know what?
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you talk about that, because Meadow kind does come across really interesting in this lineup of judges, and I in a lot of ways think it's going to rub people the wrong way, Like he looks like some straight bloke that's just wandered out of the pub and thinks he's on a footy commentation commentation because he's sort of very I don't know, I don't know. To me, it came across as quite fresh and quite real, So I was happy with it. But how did it feel listening to his commentary? Was it a little rough at times?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Not so not so much for me. I feel like I had great critiques from him, and I don't again, I don't know what has been shown just yet, but like I got great critiques from him.
Speaker 1: I think he had a small crush on you. I'm just gonna say.
Speaker 2: I think he did as well. I I just write that down. He likes the dolls, I really do. But yeah, it's like, how do you take constructive criticism from a person who doesn't know what they're talking about? M and he was just a prime example of that.
Speaker 1: Like Max, I will say, though Madakin is a comedian right and a radio announcer, and he has transcended into acting. I can one hundred percent understand the under the rationale of getting medow kind to be there, But I also can understand that I could also understand that a lot of people might not know madow Kine. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was thinking that. I just said that was more to do with like a drag competition studding, not necessarily to do with his I don't know. Again, Yeah, I'm one of those people who doesn't know who he isn't I didn't know who he was.
Speaker 1: I love that you don't know that because whenever they introduced these people that are a little bit niche like and today we have special guests madow kind and everyone goes yay, And I was like, none of these bitches have any idea who this guy.
Speaker 2: We had no clue. I just remember, like I think vibe specifically, it was like I could kill that man.
Speaker 1: Amazing, it was amazing. I actually think, you know. The other takeaway from the episode in relation to the special guest was Hannah Conda to me was completely wasted. Like Hannah Coonda should have been more in this episode and like, oh, like we should have been on the runway doing the critiques. I think being in the res Nicholson role of the interaction with the queens through the acting challenge.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I think that if we had Hannah for more of it, I would have felt like I was in safer hands. Yeah, I would have felt like less tom foolery was about co signed that one.
Speaker 1: The other thing is I have a feeling that you went home because you're in the bottom of the week before, and I felt after last week's episode that I was like, if Max End's up in the bottom, I feel like Michelle is going to send Max home, which I was really scared about, but I turned out I was right. Do you think it's the right decision? Forms or rue Paul in the history of this show that if they say a queen in the bottom again in the second for a second time, that there's a little bit more of a reason to send that one home over someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. I would agree with that statement. I think that the Makeover Challenge, I don't think I should have been in the bottom. To be quiet, Frank, I've been very like honest about that. I'm like, that is my opinion, and honestly, I know you're not supposed to read the comments, but I'm like it's a lot of other people's opinions as well. It's a really I didn't fight when we were doing our post elimination like interviews because I was like, they were like, oh, look, it's your third time in the bottom. Like I was like, yeah, And that's kind of how this goes on this show. Like if you are constantly, you know, deemed by the judges as the person that's in the bottom or the weaker link in their eyes, you go home. They want it to be the you know, the best that make it to the end of the competition. I will say it did feel like Michelle was kind of I felt like like a mercy kill is what it felt like. The interactions I had had with Michelle earlier that day after the walkthrough, she saw I was very visibly upset and she could tell I was quite done. She very much felt like it felt like a mercy kill, of like, I think it's your time to go, and I'm going to I'm going to help orchestrate that.
Speaker 1: I really hope that overall, what I hope for you out of this whole experience is for it to help with your confidence. And there is so much about you as a performer that is electrifying, and I think that you'll be able to harness a lot of your anxiety. And if you were to compete in a competition after learning from this experience, I think again, I think that we would see you really flourish. I think for a lot of entertainers, if we can work out where do we put our emotions and our raw energy and how we harness that elevates us. And I feel like maybe maybe Michelle thought it was a mercy kill because you needed to go, But I feel like if you came back back back again learning from this experience, I think you win something like this. I, with my full chest.
Speaker 2: Think that I could win this.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of youers thought you could.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't necessarily want to, but I think that given a second opportunity, if I was ever granted one trust and believe that I would be coming back on this track like mad as Hello, there would be there would be no mercy from my end, at least I think I would. I would come to Yeah, I'd come to properly play. I feel like, yeah, y'all saw me very vulnerable. The next time it will it will not be something of a similar vein. You can only lose your mum once, right, Yes.
Speaker 1: I know, I know that's what's so hard about it. But we learn, we all learn so hard and so fast from something like this, which is such a big and brutal experience. I just think that you'd be able to use it differently. Running out of time, and I honestly could talk to you about everything, like I want to know who your favorite drag queen of all time is. I would love to know who your favorite austraying down Under queen is like, there's so many questions I would love to ask. If you've got the quick answers for those, you can quickly throw them in.
Speaker 2: Look, i will combine the two. My favorite drag Queen of all time is Iso said as the ren. I think that she is just like simply the best.
Speaker 1: What is something from behind the scenes, something that that's something I finished this podcast with every time, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we as an audience might not necessarily know? And I've just been asking everyone, because we have a lot of red tape around the series, how much money did you spend on your drag Can you tell me? Can you tell me what your bank balance looks like now?
Speaker 2: The bank balance looks a lot better now because the book needs are coming in. I've got yeah, I pulled a lot of favors for drag Race. I'll just say that I think I spent less than.
Speaker 1: Ten Okay, well that's good. That's probably less than other people. I have to let you go, but I just want to let you know that I have so many friends of mine have seen you perform in the last few months, and it was funny. I was at a lunch the other day and someone saw you in New South Wales in some regional they said how amazing you were. They thought you were so fantastic. I think that this group, Joll's Drag Race, could launch people in a particular way that is absolutely necessary. I feel like you wouldn't even need a show like this. I feel like you in your career would be on the similar trajectory because you have what it takes to entertain live audiences and you should be really proud of that.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You've genuinely been one of my favorite people to talk to you today. I really appreciate every single thing that you said.
Speaker 1: I have the Max T shirt.