Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Yesterday. My god, that's such a wild, exciting weekend. I didn't go. I don't like telling stories that maybe elevate me over the audience. But over the weekend, yes, I had to go to war Worst to buy a new mop and buffy, I know, humble brag and one with a really nice one by the way, it's thirty liter one. It's it's quite big, quite heavy, but it's a really good one of those where you can put your foot.
Speaker 3: Oh, the for Lader, that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that stinking you know Patsy as it was user, Its like, what is this that I'm doing? This process in this thing that's happening here? What is this call?
Speaker 4: What is what's going on?
Speaker 2: Well? You put the mop in the oh yeah, yeah, you know it's like the cradle hangs and you press something down with your foot and it spins it round, it wrings the water out for you. What's that cal.
Speaker 3: Patsy at the pedal?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Didn you say for later Vlada? It's the I L A D A fish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they're brilliant.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, joy, it's sting to use that when you put that foot down like that, Oh my god, it's it's a happy sensation anyway.
Speaker 4: And what does I give you that a normal mop can't.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't have to rinse it out with your hands, jack, and it gets it really, really dry.
Speaker 2: I've never done that.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna smush it in the bottom, you know, the base of the actual bucket. I won't be bringing out down by the stream or the.
Speaker 3: Creek, old school mops you used to have to do.
Speaker 2: But we're in two thousand.
Speaker 3: That's why it's so good.
Speaker 2: Anyway, as I'm leaving with my new mop and bucket, and that's literally all I left with. As well, I thought there was there was a dad and he was having words with his son, and he was saying, quite loudly, don't ever muck around in car parks. And I nodded, like, you know, that's good Sage Staut advice. I nodded like with the dad, think that is good advice, don't ever muck around in car parks. So this morning made me think about, well, you know, the various warnings that our parents used to give us. Now some of these I reckon, we're going to get a third of them makes sense, and then there's the overwhelm majority, which are odd, bizarre, supernatural, medieval. Even later, I'm still thinking about sim of the stuff. My tactic that doesn't make steall doesn't make any sense now It didn't when I was a kid, just as a fully grown adult, Patsy, what did you What was the warning your parents gave you?
Speaker 5: We lived kind of on the outskirts of town and we had, you know, paddocks around us, so we had a great time growing up. We had dirt bikes and all sorts of things, and there was an old and out mops with your hands, we go fishing down on the on the dam and yabbing. It was so much fun. But there was an old farmhouse and abandoned farmhouse, and we knew that there was a well in the old sort of out the back of it.
Speaker 2: Up in Scooby Doo. How many TV shows that we grow involved the central store and a well.
Speaker 4: At the back of an old abandoned farmhouse.
Speaker 5: Always anyway, Dad had boarded it up so we didn't accidentally fall into it. But Mum was so petrified of me getting into the well and drowning that she said an old witch used to live down there.
Speaker 3: That was absolutely petrified.
Speaker 5: I never went near the farmhouse, so I guess it worked.
Speaker 4: Are you scared of all wells?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: I'll give himyah, I'll go to the side.
Speaker 5: But I was so convinced that there was actually an old witch with a big wat on her nose living down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember my dad would never let us go swimming until at least ninety minutes after lunch, because otherwise we would drowned, not struggle, but we and I remember being so PARALOI going dd, I think it's only about an hour and forty five, so will they see? Sandwiches made me sink to the bottom here. I remember being so sky Even now, I still like, I'm going to give it another five or ten minutes on that pizza been the thing that sinks me to the bottom of the pool, and the lifeguards going, we can't get him up.
Speaker 4: I think we can do.
Speaker 2: Tell me he's not eating within ninety minutes. Jack, what did your parents used to warn you about.
Speaker 4: Flicking the lights which when you had wet hands or any moisture on your hands. Now, I guess that.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: That makes sense because if execution you're scared that we are, moisture would get in the circuitry and we would get.
Speaker 2: It right you did? Yeah, all right, So we're going to try and get to twenty of the see if we can make twenty of the warnings that your parents used to give you.
Speaker 1: Well, Christian no Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian, just to let you know, Wales also have nipples. Are we so much nipple talking today's show? I thought it was pretty big. I only found out Friday that dogs have nipples. Now Wales are getting it on it too.
Speaker 4: That would be a huge nipple.
Speaker 2: So David Attenburn never his outtakes have been his outtakes. All right, So there's morning. Then we can try and get to twenty of these twenty things your parents warned you about. Juck your boy, What have we got so far?
Speaker 4: Don't muck around in car parks. There's witches at the bottom of the well. Don't eat ninety minutes before going swimming, and don't flick any light switches with wet hands.
Speaker 2: Christian. My favorite was you'll understand when you're older. I remember that withering one. You'll get it one you're old. Never dive headfirst into a river. That's from Dave Christian. My dad used to threaten me well whenever I wanted, which was very confusing. For example, I'd say, Dad, can have a new bike. I'll give you a new bike in a minute if you don't stop talking. What that's what I want? Is father? Christmas is watching. I've used that as I've used that myself for the last coup years. I'm sure you are, pat Yeah, and then it goes so far? Yeah it does?
Speaker 6: Yeh.
Speaker 2: Never pick up your cars before the dealer has stopped handing out the cards. Who was your dad a crepier? I love this one. Don't look at the moon when it's windy. It will freeze your face in that expression, I've never heard that one. Don't kick empty bags or piles of rubbish. Someone may have put a rock in books. My dad said this ever forty years ago, and I still think about it most days. Yeah, all right, let's go to Lince. Good morning, Alex, Good morning morning Alex. What was something your parents warned you about?
Speaker 8: Turning the car interior light on more driving?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's a great one. Yeah. I still I still get upset or anxious if I turn it on slightly. Now presume it is. It is illegal, isn't it? Is it a distraction to end of the drivers?
Speaker 8: I don't think it is illegal, but for me back then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dad used to say it will put other drivers off and they will crash. How will it if I drive? If I passed another car while I was driving at night and they had their interior light on, I think I'd be all right.
Speaker 2: No, you would, Yeah, you're right. You wouldn't be thinking is that a night club in there? Someone's front room.
Speaker 4: We're like moths to the light.
Speaker 2: That's a great one. Thank you very much, thanks for calling the show. Have a good week, Thank you, Scott. Good morning. What's a thing your parents warned you about?
Speaker 7: Good morning? My mum always used to say not to sit on cold concrete because you will get piled.
Speaker 2: My mom was the saying, yeah, if you sat on a cold wall or a cold floor, you'd get piled exactly.
Speaker 7: I used to always think about the primary school when it was cold weather or something and you'd be sitting on the stairs and uh, and they were concrete, and I never knew what piles were though, I.
Speaker 4: Still don't know what piles is. Oh, Jack, you did you did piles in the time. The other was like, I know about it.
Speaker 3: But oh, you'll know when you get piles. Believe me.
Speaker 7: Well, I was probably like five or six, you know, and being told you need get piles.
Speaker 2: I don't really get a lot of kids don't need to worry about hemorrights.
Speaker 6: Do.
Speaker 2: They don't get kids going into the pharmacists, you know, just after school. And I've got the old ring of fire.
Speaker 7: I want to know. I want to know how the concrete or the cold concrete draws them out.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 7: Maybe maybe they could get tomorrow's segment.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're quite right tomorrow Adam seven. Yes, Scott, thank you very much. You coote very funny. Thanks Janine, come on, h morning, there you going. We're good. Janine, who had a great weekend? And what's something your parents warned you about?
Speaker 6: My mum always told me when I was literally, if I ate crust, I'd get curly hair. And I always wanted curly hair, and I never got the curly hair. So from the age of eight, I have not eaten crusts and I'm about to turn sixty.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm so sorry here that sent me her corrects. In life.
Speaker 6: The only way I've got curly hair was I used to have to pay for a perm.
Speaker 4: You're still cutting your crusts off your sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yeah, I'm the same. I don't know, I know, not just that. Jack. When I have a pizza, have you're not seen what I leave? I saw tom cot caught me the other day when we had pizza here off the show. I won't have the crust. I think it's going to Tommy. Janine, we should form our own little group, me and you. We're former little Facebook group. All right, Janine, thank you very much. You call all right. Thanks, I'm sorry saying that down there. That's very rude. Nine one o four three, Jack, your boy? How many up to now? There are things that your parents warned you about.
Speaker 4: We're halfway ten ten to.
Speaker 1: Go Christian no Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: See if you get to twenty things your parents used to warn you about. My dad used to tell us to hold our breath always when driving past the cemetery unless we breathe in bad spirits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had to lift our feet off the floor of the car as well. You really hold your breath. And this is my cousin who told me this, hold your breath and lift your feet off the floor so they can't get in through your feet.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's incredible. This was from my mum. Don't ever leave your shirt untucked so he might get lombargo. The phrase lombargo is that bad back or something. It's like an ancient thing. Lombargo. Read a lot of books, so my parents had always told me if I read in the dark, I would go blind. That was something else Sides warned about. Some more warnings, Andrea, I was told, never stay in bed past ten am unless I expect to never get a job. Don't put anything bigger than your elbow in your ear. That's some militia. Don't go to bed to some Karen. Don't get a bit of wet hair or you will catch pneumonia. Pneumonia was like a standard things he warned against, wasn't it, Lucy, Good morning morning.
Speaker 6: How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good, Lucy? So what was something your parents warned you about?
Speaker 6: My dad always told me and my fussa never to touch the hazard button when we were driving, because the roof would come off. Our seats would get injected from the roof and we would fall to the road with parachutes.
Speaker 4: That's an incentive for kids.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I want to try that at least one, I know.
Speaker 7: So we were petrified, but we always wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Lucy, until I got my own car. Lucy, thank you very much. You called my have a good week. Oh good you too, thank you, Krolyn. Good morning, good morning. They counting. So what was some of your parents warned you about?
Speaker 6: Well, I lived in Final, Queensland and in the summer we'd always have watermelon and we always got told spit out the seed or it will grow.
Speaker 7: Out your belly button.
Speaker 2: All right, parents, didn't We're always cautious about any kind of seeds, weren't they apple seeds, grown out your ears into trees and stuff like that. I used to the same with swallowing chewing gum as well, wrap yourself around his coat on and string.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we got that one as well. We also got that one as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got told to stick to your heart.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's a really tough one.
Speaker 4: It's seven years.
Speaker 2: Count it. Thank you very much. You kill me. No right, let's squeak it, squeeze and craig before Patsy's news. Come morning, Craig, Christian, Here you go, mate, I'm good. So what did mum or dad warn you about?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Warm me.
Speaker 8: I was always playing out the cold as a kid. Ryan Hale will shine and she wore me. If I played out in the cold without a jacket on, I get pneumonia. Joke was on me because at age eleven, I got double pneumonia.
Speaker 2: And uh, you and I could post a boy. Parents listening to this right now with young kids are going to use you as the poster boy now. And well he laughed. He was laughing this sort of his face, and he got double pneumonia, double pneumonia.
Speaker 8: Both lungs filled with liquid and I was bedridden for six weeks.
Speaker 2: That sounds awful.
Speaker 8: It was, Yeah, probably similar to what COVID's like. Just your lungs fill up with liquid and you're just involuntarily coughing and in pain and fever.
Speaker 2: Sounds like one of those sort of very sinister adverts we have, you know, h Craig, I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks you cool.
Speaker 1: This is The Christian O'Connell Show podcast