Speaker 1: A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: Bady your work, our windows that my worris in the dust, only good zabs all day.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yeah, I'm not our big and what I want.
Speaker 4: It don't matter where. This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Happy Friday afternoon, everybody. It's the pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 5: And how exciting. I often don't have very exciting things on the weekend.
Speaker 1: You have a very exciting thing this weekend, so do you. Yeah, but you're in a box and I'm in the club seats.
Speaker 5: Oh, Laura and I are both going to the dual liper concept.
Speaker 4: You're going tonight.
Speaker 3: I'm going tonight with my sister.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm going tomorrow in a suite.
Speaker 1: We bought our tickets, like the good supporting patrons that we are.
Speaker 3: And Brittany I.
Speaker 4: Did get invited.
Speaker 3: You got invited and she's going to be in a box. Sweet, you are invited? Me super jealous.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't get invited by Jua Lipa stopped trying to spread these rumors that aren't true.
Speaker 4: Yes I did.
Speaker 5: She DMed me and I'd love to have you sing with me, and I said, I wouldn't want to take that attention away from you, but I'll come to the box. To be fair, you got invited to the box as well.
Speaker 4: You didn't want to come.
Speaker 3: No, that's not true.
Speaker 4: My tongue, Oh my god, you literally I just watched you bite your tongue. You'd sent me that was actually stuck. Funny for someone that talks for a living. Your tongue just didn't go back into your.
Speaker 3: Say that what just happened? I had a malfunction. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I'm going with my sister to draw ALB and she bought the tickets for my birthday, so.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going to ditch her to go into a box.
Speaker 4: You could have gone two nights. I put your tongue.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. That's what it is, brit Laura.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bit too early to tell, or only a couple of days in, but I think I have cracked the code for parents out there who want to get their kids off the.
Speaker 3: Dummy, the dummy fairy. The dummy fairy so hit us a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, my daughter, she's four years old, Lola. There has never been a child that's more obsessed with their dummy than Lola. Like. It has been an obsession since the day she was born. And she was a very, very very fussy baby. She didn't sleep in a cot, She only slept in a carrier with me, sitting upright with her on me. And that was the first six weeks of her life. Like, it was hard work. And the only thing in her, like you know, little four years of life that has ever brought her comfort is her dummy. She will happily take a dummy over being cuddled. She will take her dummy over her dad, like, she will take her dummy over anything.
Speaker 3: She loves it so much.
Speaker 1: If you ask her her favorite thing, she will say her dummy. So we've tried quite a few times getting her off it. You know, she turned four in February, So we tried when she was two. We tried when she was three.
Speaker 3: You remember, it.
Speaker 4: Was like I was rough man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like she turned into a dementor she my contraception. She screamed NonStop for six weeks. Anyway, we've gotten to a point where we're like, she's four years old.
Speaker 3: This is getting embarrassing. Now she's going to school next year. She's got a boyfriend, she's moving out of home. We've got to get her the dummy university.
Speaker 1: So we decided it was time to implement the dummy Fairy. Now, the dummy Fairy seems to do different things in different households, but in our household we have had four nights now of no crying, no dummy huge and it has been a raving success.
Speaker 5: Well, then tell us the people in the car that might be wanting the dummy Fairy to come to their house, what did your dummy fairy do?
Speaker 1: You've got a caller. She's got to call the dummy Fairy on the phone. You gotta give he a ring because she needs to know when you're ready for her to come.
Speaker 5: She doesn't, dumb fairy.
Speaker 3: It's not like Santa Claus.
Speaker 4: Change that now.
Speaker 3: And it's not like they're Easter money. They don't have it.
Speaker 1: She doesn't have a set date. She'll come when you're ready for her to come. So you make sure that you've set the date. You've got to planned down on a calendar, you do the countdown. It's really exciting. The dummy Fairy coming is an exciting.
Speaker 3: Thing like Christmas.
Speaker 1: So it's like you're going to get a present from the dummy fairy for giving away your dummies. And yeah, we replaced it. So we made like a little ceremony about it. We got all the dummies to get we put them outside.
Speaker 3: There was five. We collected them around the house.
Speaker 4: She's been stashing them like under pillows.
Speaker 1: Well it's just in case we lose one, o caase she doesn't have five at a time. So we put them all outside. We made a little letter to the dummy Fairy. I told her that, you know, the dummy Fairy is going to take them to castle. And the story just kept getting bigger and more elaborate. But Lola got really excited about it, and she knew that she was going to get rewarded for giving away something that was really important. But it really was the cutest little thing. I'll play you.
Speaker 3: This, hey, Lola, who's coming tonight?
Speaker 1: There is Are you ready to say bye bye bye bye dummies? Giving them a kiss by ball by bye dummies?
Speaker 3: So she made out with that last watch.
Speaker 4: I really didn't want to get that one out.
Speaker 3: She kissed him awkodbye. We put them in a bowl.
Speaker 1: I put her to bed and I gave her a present from me and Dad for her to go to bed with that night, because I was like, I know you're going to be really sad. He's a little toy from Ummy and Daddy for you to cuddle when you feel sad.
Speaker 3: And she woke up in the morning, she got her presence.
Speaker 1: We made it like a really special time and she was so stoked. So I thought, Okay, day one that was going to be easy. Day two is gonna be hard. Day two is gonna suck. Anyway, Day two rolled around completely fine.
Speaker 3: She said one thing.
Speaker 1: To me where I put it to bed and she had it like her two little toys that she got, the one from the dummy Fairy and the one from me, and she goes, mom, I'm thinking And I was like, what are you thinking about it?
Speaker 3: She goes, I'm thinking a.
Speaker 1: Dummy would be pretty nice, and I was like, sweetheart, we don't have any. The dummy fairy took them, and she goes, I know that's why I said, I'm just thinking it.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing it. I'm thinking it. She's just more self aware now. And that was it.
Speaker 1: Like I genuinely thought it was going to be a horror show. And it's been four days now, and it has just been weirdly amazing.
Speaker 3: It's because.
Speaker 5: It's like I've got kids, It's because she's twenty five.
Speaker 3: It's because this.
Speaker 5: Time she came to the conclude she's old enough to come to the conclusion of making it herself. And she I think just because she doesn't feel like you guys are taking something from her, she made the decision like she's like, cool, I'm ready and.
Speaker 4: I understand what this exchange is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that that's it. I think it's the secret in the thoughts, right, like, my secret is.
Speaker 4: Not to let your kids still have dumby.
Speaker 3: No, you're not shamey.
Speaker 5: I'm not shaming you, but I don't want the listeners to be like, hey, Lauris said, the secret is to keep a dummy to your face.
Speaker 3: Sounds for shaming.
Speaker 1: I think it's about letting the kids have a little bit of sense of control and feeling as though you're not just taking away from them, but that it's something to be excited about when the dummy fairy comes that even though they're losing that thing they want, they feed off how you react to something. And the other times it's been super stressful, it's been like a countdown and then it's like, Okay, no more dummy, and it felt like a punishment, whereas this felt like a reward. I know I'm too early to tell you exactly how it's going to go down, but it has been surprisingly amazing so far. I'm happy for you, and I'm actually more happy for Lola same and I'm happy for our dental bills for the future.
Speaker 4: The vinears she doesn't need to get.
Speaker 5: Now, we've been talking about them a bit of.
Speaker 4: A content subject.
Speaker 5: I would say here in the break at the pickup, manifestation that idea of like putting out to the universe what you want and it bringing you everything that you need and everything you desire. I personally believe in manifestation, and Laura, you sort of caught.
Speaker 4: Bullshit on it when I.
Speaker 3: Talk about it. I don't caught bullshit on it. I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily believe that, like thinking good things will make good things happen. And I've watched The Secret, I've read the book, and like, I don't know if you guys know what I'm talking about, but The Secret is like the there was a very big book and TV series that came out or It was like one episode that came out quite a few years ago all around manifesting, and the essence of that was kind of like, think good things and good things will happen. Think about money raining down on you and you'll get really wealthy. And I was just for me, it's just too simple.
Speaker 4: That's not what manifestation is.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, another doing it wrong? Why is the money not raining down on me?
Speaker 4: That explains a lot that checks out.
Speaker 5: Let me give you this is not an example of manifestation, but this is what started the conversation, the idea of sometimes willing something into the universe. But it doesn't always have to be positive. It could be something that you've thought about or been talking about or putting that energy out so many times, so it can be negative.
Speaker 4: But the other day, when if you've.
Speaker 5: Been following along, my dog Delilah got really really sick. But that morning, driving to work with a work colleague, I was like, do you know what's crazy? I was like, my dog.
Speaker 4: Delilah, she's four years old. I said.
Speaker 5: She has never been sick. I have never had to take her to the bet, She's never had anything wrong with her. She's been the perfect dog and my friend was like, yeah, that's amazing. Then I got home from work that day and Delilah, I've never seen her more sick in my life.
Speaker 3: She was not manifesting. No, that's not a coincidence.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 5: But it is a form of willing something into the universe and it's not manifesting. But it started the conversation. And then producer, Gracie, you were saying you did something crazy the other day too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, literally yesterday I was talking to someone in the office. I was like, I've never been asked to do jury duty and I'd kind of love to do it. And then I got home that day to a letter telling me that I'm officially the jury duty.
Speaker 3: Rolls crazy. Hey, everyone, I'd really like to win the lotto.
Speaker 4: It doesn't work like that.
Speaker 3: I just to me, I understand.
Speaker 1: What you're saying, and I understand that there's situations where people like, don't jinx it, don't say that, or it might happen, yeah, a personal jinx.
Speaker 3: But I think that this is a coincidence.
Speaker 1: More so with those sorts of situations, I know that it's very unlikely. The likelihood of that happening might be one and a bazillion. However, like horrible coincidences and great coincidences happen all the time. So I'm just kind of think that sometimes we look for things that validate and like reinforce this idea that we have more control than we do.
Speaker 4: But don't think you can speak something into an existence.
Speaker 5: No, Okay, I did a proper manifestation course years ago.
Speaker 4: I spent some time with a monk, learnt so much stuff. Then I started.
Speaker 5: Actually putting it into practice years ago, and I don't do it so much anymore. I believe I manifested my fiance Ben when I did this manifestation course. I wrote down in my notes because a big part of it is it's not just writing down what you want, but it's then consciously thinking it.
Speaker 4: You still work towards it. You still it's the putting what.
Speaker 5: You want into existence, like you still have to work and put efforting.
Speaker 1: This is the thing that I think is the very clear determiner of Like when you say you can't speak things into existence, I don't think you can speak things into existence.
Speaker 3: I think you can have an intention.
Speaker 1: You can write that intention down and then you can focus all your goals to align.
Speaker 3: To that intention.
Speaker 1: But that to me is not just like spontaneously going I.
Speaker 2: Want to go on a holiday to the Mail Dives and then all of a sudden you win one and you're there, Like, I don't think that that's what happens. Well, I wrote, I think you've got a book the ticket yourself, and then get your ass to the Mount Dives and then wow, that's a coincidence.
Speaker 5: I wrote down years ago, thank you for giving me my partner B because your name's Brittany.
Speaker 4: No, my brother initial, my fiancee's name is Ben. I manifested Ben yearsgo.
Speaker 5: I don't care what anyone says that was the manifestation I am.
Speaker 3: This hasn't convinced me.
Speaker 5: You just said you sort of thought you manifested your Maddie Jay, your husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm different to that though.
Speaker 1: When I say, I don't mean manifested in the way of like thinking it.
Speaker 3: Then it happened.
Speaker 1: You guys know, we had a moment where we met prior, so we had like a real moment in chemistry prior to being on the Bachelor, and then I think it was a massive coincidence that he was there and that he was the person who was the bachelor. But I think it was like the fact that I was in there, that I was like very intented in staying that.
Speaker 3: I very much in my head was like I'm going to end up with this person.
Speaker 1: That would be my definition of saying okay, I manifested that in happening because but in the same way, I'm like, is it or isn't it.
Speaker 3: I just like I set my eyes on a goal and I achieved my goal, and in that case, the goal was my husband, and here we are. I don't know. I think I am.
Speaker 4: I think I am, But that's not just a mystic, it's synic.
Speaker 1: It's not to say that I'm not and can't be positive about these things. And I'm sure that there are so many people who have really incredibly positive manifestation stories. I think the reason why I feel so unsure about it is because there's so many people who have really challenging lives, really horrible things happen, and I don't think that those things happen because they're not good enough at manifesting themselves out of it.
Speaker 4: Of course not.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm I kind of it's not a good enough solution for me, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not. It's not my solution for world peace. That's not what the conversation is.
Speaker 3: Here today anyway. But I'm sorry, that's serious. Great.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you, hear me. Have you ever been to couples therapy?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I have been to therapy, and my partner has been to therapy, but we've not been at the same time together.
Speaker 4: It was an individual thing.
Speaker 1: What was the reasoning for not wanting to go to Like did you need to go together for.
Speaker 3: Your relationship extent?
Speaker 4: We should have?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: And then and then why they just.
Speaker 5: Didn't want to They were going for something else as well, And I said, we obviously had our own problems, and I was like, hey, we should go together sometimes I think'd be really great.
Speaker 1: And he was like, no, no, hang on, have you I have been to couples therapy with an X?
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I went to two sessions with an ex boyfriend and I had a really tricky experience because he had cheated on me if times, actually a lot of times, and he was very narcissistic with his behavior. And I found that in the therapy session he managed to victimize himself and talk about all the reasons why he can't be faithful and it's so hard for him, and life is blah blah blah. And I found myself just sitting there feeling as though I was somehow being made to not be the supportive enough personal It was a bizarre experience, honestly, and I think for you, not good for me. But look the reason why we're talking about this. A couple of weeks ago, we were speaking to Tara Pavlovich. She was advocating for couples to go to therapy and talking about how it had been a life saver for her and her relationship with her husband. But I came across an article which was talking about couple therapy, firstly, how expensive it can be, how it's not accessible to everyone, and so how a lot of couples are now turning to chat GPT for their relationship advice and relationship therapy.
Speaker 5: My first thought when I hear that is that that is wild that you would go and put your relationship in the hands of a robot.
Speaker 2: Like to me, they've never been in a relationship, You're a phone, Like, what experience do you have?
Speaker 4: You have a hard drive, not a hard drive. Oh sorry, that was off the spot, off the car.
Speaker 3: Was really a free plan.
Speaker 4: That's okay, But my first thought is that that's insane.
Speaker 5: Having said that, I do wonder if there is a part of it where people might feel more inclined to go or might feel more inclined to be really honest to get like an unbiased opinion from someone that's not human. I think sometimes people feel like a bit of shame and a bit shy and bit reserved when they're actually speaking to another human, like that's gonna be laced in judgment, even though we know psychologists and therapists don't have that judgment. People find it hard sometimes to talk to other people.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, you go to a psychologist and you expect them to be unbiased, but they're people. People can be biased. And I will also always feel like I have to like be careful around my experience because I think it was a very unique one and I was dealing with a very unique type of partner at the time, which was like the issue I had is that I kind of sat there and felt like it was all I was in a bit of a twilight zone with how it had managed to be flipped on me.
Speaker 3: Do you think because I'm not the problem clearly, got do you think that.
Speaker 4: Chat GPT can be biased?
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing, right, There was a couple who has been talking about using it. So his name's Marcus, her name is Brie, and they didn't want to go to an actual therapist or to a psychologist, and so they've been using chat GPT. They said that the responses from the AI therapist are soft and non judgmental, and also that it's allowed them to kind of air out some of the things that they have had wrong in their relationships and get an unbiased perspective, even if that perspective.
Speaker 3: Is not from a human.
Speaker 5: Let me ask, hey, Siri, can chat GPT be biased?
Speaker 7: Hi? I aim to be as unbiased and neutral as possible. However, since I'm trained on a wide range of data from the Internet, there might be occasional biases and the information I provide I always strive to give balanced and fair responses.
Speaker 1: My worry with this is is like you go to a therapist, a person who's able to mediate and actually like give advice, but give advice based on like the emotion and the empathy that is required, whereas like chat GPT doesn't have the ability to do that. It also doesn't have the ability to monitor the emotional outcome of its patients or the people who are seeking that advice.
Speaker 3: I just I feel like there are a lot of things.
Speaker 1: That chat GPT are very good at, and it can fill a lot of gaps.
Speaker 3: I don't think therapy is one of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's not replace psychologists and therapists just yet.
Speaker 3: We need or GPS because I think that's also pretty important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need them all.
Speaker 3: Well, let's get out of here.
Speaker 4: That's us done for the day.