Speaker 1: Hi, guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life. I'm Cut, I'm Laura, I'm Brittany, and this is ask gun cut where we answer you're deep, you're dark, and you're burning questions, but usually talk about a whole lot of shit at the start. I love this episode speaking of shit. Sorry, oh yeah, no, perfect segue. Laura's been shitting itself for days. I want a segue to know about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought I had gastro and that it went in circles, and I think I just had a viral bug because after it all.
Speaker 2: Stopped, I came out in a rash.
Speaker 1: There's nothing like having gastro and then coming out in a rash to really humble you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if you listened to the episode that Keisha and I did while you're away, but we did talk in depth about your.
Speaker 1: Did you, because I haven't listened yet, But guys, I am going to into how much depth did you go?
Speaker 3: No, we just said you're unwell and poopin and then I did say that I confirmed you unwell because you sent me your phone on it where you've definitely looked better.
Speaker 4: Said that you had sent her a photo and she's like, here, I'll show you, and I was like, I don't fucking need to see that. It's not a photo of the toilet or of anything like that. It's a photo of Laura. And I was like, yeah, okay, they're too very I wasn't just.
Speaker 2: Head to doe rolling around in my own gas row, no, because.
Speaker 4: I could see how it was taken the wrong way.
Speaker 1: Because we were talking about how I was like, oh, she's proper un well, like her poops are proper un well. Actually us actually sent me a photo and he she's like, well, I don't need a stool photo to be fair. Though I was so nauseous. I was very sick on Monday. It kind of hit me on Sunday night, Sunday at like seven pm, and then it just continued, and then Monday morning came around and was supposed to come in and record for was it a public holiday?
Speaker 2: It's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was the King's birth. I can't keep up.
Speaker 4: People couldn't believe that we had forgotten that there was a long weekend, and I was like, oh, if you don't believe for us to not realize it's a public holiday, coming up, stay ahead of time. I feel as though maybe you don't know us as well as what I thought you did.
Speaker 1: I think it's different when you run your own business because public holidays, weekends, they don't mean anything to you.
Speaker 2: And Kesha's like, they mean something to me.
Speaker 4: So Laura and I, public holidays don't exist.
Speaker 2: She's like, what help me?
Speaker 1: Fuck Christmas? You will work award wage on Christmas Day. Hey, I have a question. Okay, this is something that I do want your thoughts, advice, feelings on.
Speaker 2: So on the weekend, I was talking to a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: She is in the throes of dating right and she's just come out of a long term relationship and well not just come out, but she's been half about six months and she's now like back into the dating game and she started seeing this guy and he's definitely not right for her, but she is quite happy having the physical side of a connection and a relationship again. And she asked the question because she's like, Oh, I can see myself starting to get feelings with this guy, even though I know he is not the person that I want to be in a relationship with. She's like, it's just, you know, we're doing the hangs and pain, the hangs and bad thank you got that really missed up my mouth. We're doing the hangs and bangs and it's turning into me catching feels. So the question is, how do you have a friends with benefits relationship without catching feelings at all?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we have spoken about.
Speaker 3: This in different capacities so many times, but I think you just have to set the boundaries with each other and with yourself straight up. Like if you want to friends with benefits and just a bang, well then you can't lay in bed stroking their face after and like giving them little hair massages and like little sweet nothings in the ear. You can't do the extra like romantic stuff. You just gotta fuck and fuck off.
Speaker 1: But the FNF, this is the thing, right because I remember back in the day, I used to always catch the fields. So I'm like, do as I say, don't do as I do, because I would date them, but be like, oh, this is just casual.
Speaker 2: But we would go out for dinner, we would wine and dine. I'd like sleep over their house for the night.
Speaker 1: We were literally acting like we were boyfriend and girlfriend, but then trying to convince each other that this was just hangs and bangs. It was for them and for me, Like I'd get six months into it and be like, what's what's happening?
Speaker 2: Why don't you Why don't you love me yet?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why do I so much? Why are we getting married? I don't understand why we're not committed.
Speaker 1: It's because you're doing relationship things. When it's been clear, like even if you say to yourself, humans are not smart enough to differentiate. So even if you say to yourself, this is not going anywhere, this is just sex. If every other aspect of your life is leading towards relationships.
Speaker 4: So if you're actually doing relationship.
Speaker 1: Things and going to dinners and hanging with friends and going to the beach and swimming together and doing all this extra stuff that you've been doing when you're dating, you are gonna catch feelings, whether you like it or not. Yeah, you're also doing things that are like core memory stuff. You're like spending like beautiful time and creating memories. Cause she's like, I don't catch feelings.
Speaker 4: I'm laughing because I walking into this conversation, I was like, Oh, it's just personality dependent, Like it just depends on the type of person you are, because I cannot tell you how opposite I feel. I feel as though more often than not, when I've slept with someone, I get that like post nut clarity, and I'm just like, oh, now I've got the ick for you, I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've done that too, but I think and I don't want to out you, hear Keisha, but we've been besties for a long time, and I can recall so many times that you've started hooking up with someone casually and caught.
Speaker 4: Feelings definitely, Like there would be people that I've caught feelings for because I like thought that, you know, you could progress into something absolutely, but we would also be going on dates and that kind of thing. However, there would be the opposite of that too, where maybe I'd been on some dates with someone or we were hanging out in like a friendship group, and then we'd slept together and I'd be like, oh, no, this is not it. Yeah, like it's naught it. And for me, if someone fucked and then fucked off like you said, I would find that really offensive. I'd be like, that's disrespectful.
Speaker 2: What are you doing.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a fine line, right because obviously if you're going to have an ongoing There's a difference between one night's dad, which if you get the ick after having sex with someone once, you're not going to go back and have like a friends with benefit relationship, because you don't want to have sex with someone and then feel repulsed afterwards.
Speaker 2: That's a terrible feeling.
Speaker 1: But if you're having like a casual relationship with them, there is a fine line between at the end of it, when you're finished, navigating that in a respectful way, right, Like, what's the appropriate amount of time that you need to spend with them to do the after care of the sex so that you're not just being like cool, thanks for that. You're like wiping yourself off with the towel as you're walking out the door. The detail, No, but you don't have to spend the night and you wansker yourself off with a sock and he's like, I need that, I need to leave. But you don't have to have a sleepover, is what I'm saying. You don't have to cuddle for hours. Like the cuddling for hours is where the relationship starts to form. It's where when you're laying there and you're all cocooned after like having a great orgasma. Then you're like, oh my god, maybe I really like this guy who has just a pile of clothes on the floor that we're sleeping on, and just I do want to clarify, no sheets on his mattress.
Speaker 3: I don't want to swear anymore because I mean he's weearing a lot. But when I say the f and f off, I don't.
Speaker 1: Literally mean like you've just pulled out and leave, like do a runner out the door with like a semi hard on steal. It's just I just more mean like coole a spade of spade, like it is what it is. So obviously you always are going to stay and be respectful. Not everyone will do that, but that's what I mean by like, let's just do what we're here to do. You be respectful.
Speaker 3: Maybe you want to have dinner whatever, but you don't further it with the cuddles and the sleepovers.
Speaker 4: And making getting coffees in the morning, and like the.
Speaker 1: No hand holding, the no kisses in public, like the things as well that are just but.
Speaker 2: People doing that with their friends with better at me what. Okay, here's a story.
Speaker 4: So when I met Ben, like that beautiful weekend.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago, but twelve months when I met Ben, this wonderful weekend a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: When I met Ben a couple of.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago. No, but it was because twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty four anyway, when I met Ben calendy is financially. When I met Ben on that glorious weekend, it was you, guys, have you been following along?
Speaker 2: You remember?
Speaker 3: It was supposed to be a one night stand, Like I was supposed to be getting back on the horse. I was gonna ride that into the sunset, then he was gonna leave. We ended up seeing each other for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: I remember him, and I appreciate it at the time very clearly laying out the rules.
Speaker 2: But it was not rules.
Speaker 3: It was like, I just want you to know that I'm getting into this for nothing but sex. Basically, He's like, I'm only here for a few days. I just want you to know I'm not looking for anything. This is gonna be what is going to be, and if you're not okay with that, that's super cool. And I was like, yeah, I want the same thing. And I really appreciated that there's not gonna be any lines.
Speaker 4: That are crossed.
Speaker 3: Then he like doubled down, and the whole time it was like, I don't do PDA, Like I don't want to, you know, I don't want to cuddle laughter, I don't want it. And it wasn't in a nasty way. He just knew that if he did, he might catch feelings.
Speaker 1: And I know that in hindsight, And he says to this day, we spent three days together and then he left, and he says he knows the moment that we were going to be together and that he was in trouble was because we had had sex in the day and we left to go across the road to get a coffee and banana bread, and as we were crossing the road, we reached out because it was really busy traffic, and we grabbed each other's hand just to like run across the road. And he's like, as soon as we held hands in public, in public.
Speaker 4: He goes, I was fucked. I was like, this is it.
Speaker 3: And that's because he's like, this is why I set the boundaries.
Speaker 4: Not to have those like romantic moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah got you, Yes, I think.
Speaker 4: This is the problem. And I spent so much of my twenties, thinking that I'd be the one who changed their mind, you know, like it would be the player who you know, had so many girls on the go and they were always non committal, and like you had that idea in your mind that you were going to be the exception. And I think a lot of people, whether they're cognizant of it or not, I think a lot of them hope that that is going to be the case, that they're going to be the one who changes. And that is the situation for you, because like Ben was like, I don't want to commit to this, and then yeah, you're like, I'm going to change your mind. Maybe it comes down to picking the person that you are going to be friends with benefits with. Maybe you've got to pick someone who wouldn't be like top tier date candidate. Maybe you've got to bring it down a bit so that you're not like, they've got to have flaws, you know, they've got to be like, not that attractive to you in a romantic sense.
Speaker 1: I had this conversation with Matt, and Matt was like, because Matt has said in passing many times that he had many friends with benefits back in the day and managed to not catch feelings right, which he says that his trick was always to date people who he didn't have like an intellectual or emotional as in, and I don't mean intellectuals in like they're not smart. Some of them were incredibly smart, but as in that he didn't feel like he intellectually clicked with or like had humor with, and all those sorts of things. He's like, we were just like very very fundamentally different. But obviously I thought they were hot as hell or whatever, so we physically got along.
Speaker 2: But he's like, we just didn't vibe.
Speaker 1: So for me, the conversation wasn't free flowing, it didn't feel easy, but like we didn't have to talk because all the other things were good.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of how he described it.
Speaker 1: But I think for me, I was trying to think, like, functionally, how I managed to have like the friends with benefits that didn't turn into anything romantic for me. One of them was like I called him my Wednesday Night guy. You guys might remember I've spoken about him for a long time, many years. Wednesday night guy. He was great. He was so beautiful, right, and at the very start I caught feels.
Speaker 2: And that's because we were dating. We met on dating app.
Speaker 1: We were dating, but then as things kind of progressed, I relegated him to Wednesday nights to keep my weekends free for the first time I might actually date.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: Don't have your hangs and bangs on a Saturday night, get satisfied on a weeknight. Look for your relationship on a weekend. That's like a good that's a good solution to the problem. It's also like just to delve into that a little bit deeper.
Speaker 3: But it's also like if you've been seeing someone and you're wondering what it is and you're wondering if there's anything more there, if they don't want to give you their time on the weekend, that is that is the reason. That is an to be like, oh, I'm a Wednesday night girl or I'm a Wednesday night guy. Like people that give up their time on a weekend are invested in you in some capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Anyway, good luck for a hoe out there dating and trying to not catch feels.
Speaker 2: It's a dangerous space. Get it, get it, get it, get it. It is time for vibes and unsubscribes. Britt what is your vibe?
Speaker 3: I'm going to give you the lightest, most wholesome little vibe this week. It's a Netflix show that I've been watching. It is trending, so you've probably seen it. It's in the top ten. It's not what most of you.
Speaker 4: Would probably watch. You've probably clicked on it and thought not for me.
Speaker 3: I was hook line and sinker and so obsessed. It's called Geek Girl. Have you guys seen it? Haven't seen it?
Speaker 4: It is such a feel good I feel like it's probably.
Speaker 3: Aimed more at the younger like maybe early twenties, but it's so good. The storyline is basically surrounding this girl that's a geek right at school. She's in the last couple. She's in high school, and she gets picked on a lot, like really really bullied. She's really intelligent, beautiful, and it just follows her life being scouted as a model outside of school and her coming into her own on the outside whilst you'll being bullied at school and just this full circle moment of like a bit of a really nice kind of like fuck you, I'm gonna overcome all of these obstacles. And she had a lot of other things going on into personal life.
Speaker 4: I loved it. I loved every second.
Speaker 1: Ben loved it. Ben was watching it, he goes, can we finish the end of Geek Girl? So that's my recommendation this week. It's super easy.
Speaker 4: You don't need a lot of brain power to watch it.
Speaker 3: It's one of those sort of like the Bold Type or Younger, you know, those kind of shows that we used to all talk about all the time.
Speaker 4: So that's it Netflix, Geek Girl. Can I tell you why I didn't watch it?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: Because I watched the trailer and I was like, oh, I've just seen it, Like you know those trailers that give too much away the whole storyline. I was like, now I don't need to watch the show. I know what happened. Well, I didn't watch the trailer. I was like, this looks cute.
Speaker 2: Let's put it on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I haven't unsubscribed this week, and I feel as though it could actually be something that maybe a few people were a couple of years ahead of me to unsubscribe from. The Kardashians have dropped another season, and this is the first year that I have absolutely no interest in watching it. You have watched every season, not every season. I kind of picked it up maybe like five years ago, like I would watch an episode here and there, and then last year I would watch it, but maybe all in one go. You know, it wouldn't be week by week. And I was kind of hanging on by a thread. This season, I just actually couldn't give a shit anymore.
Speaker 1: You know, what do you think has changed? Do you think it's just that it's there on the way out now? Do you think that it's your appetite for what you want to consume is changed? Like?
Speaker 4: Do you think it is a reflection of how most people are feeling?
Speaker 2: What is different?
Speaker 4: I can go to saturation? Yeah, a bit of all of the above. I think also how contrived it is and how we know it's so contrived. I know that, you know, over the past couple of years, everyone's like, oh, it's not real reality TV. But it just seemed as though it was becoming this massive advertisement for each of their businesses, and it wasn't interesting, and it wasn't fun, and they didn't really like go into anything that they hadn't already done on I don't know, for me, it just feels so staged.
Speaker 1: I also think when you have to mind your life for content that furiously but also want to have some privacy at the same time. It's there are two parallels that can't be achieved, and so I guess it comes to a point where it has to feel contrived because it simply is.
Speaker 4: And I also think that what would be real about their lives now has a lot to do with their children, and the children are on the show, but without it being exploitative of those kids and of their lives, I don't think that you would be able to actually get into the depths of their lives anymore.
Speaker 1: But I also think that the world is caught up and and what I mean by that is when the Kardashians broke onto our screens, there were no other ginormous reality shows where you had such an insight into the other half Hollywood how they live. Now there are so many reality shows, so so many families doing reality shows.
Speaker 4: I do, however, if you're also unsubscribing from the Kardashians, have a really good podcast recommendation. It is one that I've recommended before. It's the Subtle Art podcast Not Giving a Fark by Mark Manson. They did an episode with Rich Roll. Have you guys heard of ritual before he's one of the OG podcasters. No, okay, so he was a full alcoholic, like an addict. He's very very open about his flaws and his downfalls, and he in his forties turned into this ultra endurance athlete. And I know that when you kind of paint that picture, you get an idea of this person who's going to be really preachy and very like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, a bit cringe.
Speaker 1: No. For me, it almost makes me think that he's someone who's got like a hyper addictive personality. So he's taken his addiction for alcohol and put it into being an athlete.
Speaker 4: So interesting you say that, because that is exactly what this episode was about. So it's called The Harsh Truths about Self Discipline. And Mark opened the episode by saying, hey, question, have you just turned a bad addiction into a healthy one? Is that what we're doing when we create habits?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Are we just trying to numb and distract ourselves from something whenever we make any type of habit, whether it be healthy or healthy. And that's kind of the main topic of conversation of the entire podcast. They talk about pain being a catalyst for change, how addiction exists, on a spectrum. They go into all different types of addictions, but it's it's just so easily consumed. Like saying these topics makes me think that it would be this quite heavy conversation. It wasn't at all. It was such an enjoyable listen. Rich is such a likable person, and I think it's because he's so open and truthful about his own flaws and he comes to it with like a really non judgmental attitude. I fucking loved this episode. I listened to it from Woe to Go. It was like an hour and a half and I just put it on while I was in the shower, and I put it on while as on on a walk, and I just didn't want.
Speaker 2: It to stop. I love that conversation.
Speaker 1: It also like circles back to what Emily we spoke about when we talked to her around sobriety and around how she realized that once you're an alcoholic, you're always an alcoholic. You just transfer addiction into other things and being cognizant of that is so important. The way she spoke about it, if you want to go back and listen to that episode is truly amazing as well.
Speaker 4: It's the subtleert of not Giving a Fuck podcast Harsh truths about self discipline with Ritual. You can also watch it on YouTube and then you can put like funk cut or after subscribe.
Speaker 1: I have a very dumb recommendation, so it's going to keep it brief and tight.
Speaker 2: It is a food.
Speaker 1: It is something that I have become obsessed with, and it is called Tony's Chocoloni. And if you have seen it in the shops, go on fucking buy it. This is not sponsored. It is the salted caramel specifically. Not all of the chocolates are great, but the Tony Strocaloni salted caramel.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely bloody delicious.
Speaker 1: In our office at Tony May it's like the hit thing at the moment, and one of our staff went and bought like fifteen blocks of it sitting in the cup.
Speaker 2: But it's so fucking good.
Speaker 1: So if you want a new addiction that's not alcohol, Tony Strocaloni.
Speaker 2: Get onto it.
Speaker 4: I've literally you showed me the package.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of it or seen it, and I don't know how, because you know I love a sugar.
Speaker 2: You can get up a Wollos, you get it from everywhere. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Johno's not on board. He doesn't like it because the squares are super chaotic. They're not like normal squares. It's like a weird, like organicy looking with what I even Yeah, I don't even know how to describe it. Anyways, if you're someone who likes things to be super symmetrical, the block's gonna wig you out. It is not highbrow, but that's my recommendation perfect. Let's get into the questions. Question number one my friends have a two point five year old toddler.
Speaker 2: One two.
Speaker 4: Question one, my friends have a two and a half.
Speaker 3: Year old toddler and a newborn. To help them out, I agreed to look after their puppy for eighteen months as they raise their kids. The puppy can be a bit much, so it made sense. I'm currently two months in and realizing I did not think this through. The thought of giving him back in a year is really upsetting. The timing of me taking on their dog has come after a the death of our family dog, and b I'm healing from a toxic relationship, so I really needed a little buddy to latch onto, and that has come as my friend's dog. I also feel like I'm a better home for him, as he has my full attention and has made so many friends at the local beach and dog park. The husband is keen on me having him, but the wife is on a very different page and wants the dog back in a year. I genuinely will be heartbroken if I have to give this dog back. How should I approach this with them and convince them that I should keep their talk.
Speaker 1: This is tough, this to me, and I know that a lot of like animal lovers are going to feel strongly about this. It is very hard when you have a newborn to give the same amount of attention to your animals as what you would have given them prior to having children. It's hard to give your first child the same amount of attention that you would give your child before having another one. And so I understand a little bit why she felt as though, especially with a newborn, maybe she was not coping. Is that an excuse?
Speaker 2: No, you know?
Speaker 1: And I say this as we had two children really close together, and we have a dog who is literally our third child.
Speaker 4: But I'm a first child. He's my first child, he's my baby, my buster.
Speaker 1: But I also saw how, and especially during COVID when things were is absolutely fucked. In general, I did see how he didn't get as much of my attention as what he got when he was my only child. So part of me is like, I can understand a little bit while this mother has been like, look, can you help me to be able to make sure that my puppy, because puppies take a lot of attention, get as much attention as possible whilst I focus on my kids. The thing I don't understand by this arrangement is the length of time. Eighteen months is such a huge amount of time to have somebody else take care of your dog and then expect to have it back. But the reason why I am actually on the dog owner's side is because they have made those parameters, They have explained that, and you have accepted it. Even if I think it's weird, even if I don't think that someone should be giving up their dog for eighteen months, the fact that the two of you agreed on that situation to start with, and now two months in your saying, oh, I want to keep this dog, I think that unfortunately, it's probably not going to go your way. Now what I would think is probably the smartest way for you to navigate this because it isn't your dog, and you don't have microchip ownership of it, you don't have legal ownership of it. You didn't pay for the dog. I'm sure they're still financially contributing to you having the dog at your house. What I think you need to do is if you feel as though you're getting so emotionally invested that you are going to be completely bereft when you have to give this puppy back in eighteen months time, I would say you give the puppy back. Now, I would say, look, I didn't think this through. I didn't realize I was going to get this emotionally attached. But this is not going to be good for my mental health.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, because the difference is you're not helping your friends out with their family dog that they've had for five years.
Speaker 2: This is a puppy puppy.
Speaker 1: It's a brand new puppy who is learning everything about life. It's learning who its family is.
Speaker 3: It's going to need a lot of training, a lot of attention, and it's going to get its own attachment issues to you. So both ways, I think this is a strange setup, and I agree with you Britt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's strange because as the family that's giving the puppy up for a small amount of time, I understand why for sure, But the dog because you paid for it doesn't make it yours in a way where it's like this other person, this other woman is going to be raising it like it's going to be nearly two years old and you haven't even had it. The other family hasn't even had it at all. It's got no attachment to that family. So I don't even think it's fair on the dog to start with, before we even get into humans, the dog's not going to know what ways up.
Speaker 4: Secondly, I agree with you, Laura.
Speaker 3: If you think you're going to get an attachment to this dog, which you already have after only like two or three months, then I would say I don't think I can take this dog because I already don't want to give it back to you, like as a joke, you know, like I'm already obsessed and thinking of moving away with it anyway, like ha ha ha. But seriously, I don't think I can take this dog because in eighteen months, like I'm going to have a real attachment to it.
Speaker 4: There is a part of me.
Speaker 3: That And I don't want to say this because there's a high chance that doesn't happen. But there's a part of me that thinks, like eighteen months might come around and they might understand that, wow, this is actually your dog, and they might start fresh and get their own dog.
Speaker 4: You don't know, but you can't bank on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is such a weird.
Speaker 1: But also I wanted to say, like, and I'm not on the owner's side, like I think this whole setup is so fucking weird. If you've got a two and a half year old and you've just had a newborn baby, why are you getting a puppy? Like why are you purchasing a puppy for your family or acquiring a puppy for your family and then shipping it off? And when I say I understand that, you know they're not able to take care of it, I do understand because it's such a huge responsibility to have a newborn it's such a huge responsibility to have a puppy. Put those two things together, it's like it's unmanageable. But the thing is is, why would you make that decision when you knew you were having a baby, or assume you, and you knew you were having a baby, So there is part of me that kind of thinks that that was such stupid management on the dog owner's side. The only other thing I do want to say, though, is like, I know that you've had these things happen, like you've had the death of your family dog. You've also been through a really hard time, which is why you're feeling more connected to this puppy and you really really like emotionally need him.
Speaker 2: But that's not their problem, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think what you need to do is sit down and explain to them that because of these big things that have happened in your life, you're feeling way more connected and you're feeling way more attached than what you thought you were going to be. And I know you say that you've already spoken to the husband. The husband's okay with it, but the wife has very different plans. I just would be having some very very honest conversations because it sounds like everyone is on completely different pages. And maybe if you turned around and said, hey, look, if it comes to the eighteen month mark, I would want to keep this dog, maybe the owners would say, okay, well we'll take it. Back now then because they might not realize the severity of this view.
Speaker 2: The whole situation is weird.
Speaker 1: Also, I do want to say, don't get animals that you can't take care of if you're having kids, because it's so unfair on those animals. And just because you have children, your pets shouldn't become like second grade citizens.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day, you're close enough with this woman and this family to take their animal for eighteen months, so you're close enough to say, hey, I actually think I made a mistake and I can't do it. You're close enough to have that hard conversation. And you've also, if anything, you figured out that you are ready for a pet, which is great. Like if it doesn't work out with this dog, you know that you can go and get a dog for yourself that's going to help you get through whatever it is that you're going through, because they do, like there's a reason we call them emotional support animals because you do get attached to them and they do help you through so many things of life. But you've got to do what's right for you because if you know in eighteen months, it's going to be so much more detrimental to your mental health at that time.
Speaker 4: Bite the bullet now, Britt, I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts, And this is going to irksome people, what are your thoughts around people who have dogs or cats or animals in general, and then they rehome them once they've had children.
Speaker 3: It makes me really angry, and I understand why some people might do it. If I know of a friend that did it because they had a cattle dog that had it for a long time. So it's not like they got it. They already had it. Then they got a child and the cattle dog.
Speaker 1: They had a child. Then they got a child. They they've got a child. No, but they had a child and the cattle dog's behavior changed. It was too and they had to make a decision there that broke their heart to rehome it to a farm because they're like, we can't actually trust our animal now around our child. That breaks my heart still, But I understand that more. But when people get an animal, you have to understand that is for life.
Speaker 4: Like that's how I feel about it.
Speaker 1: I feel like an animal comes into your life as a family member.
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 1: I also and I do want to be careful with this because I know that there will be people listening to this who may have had to rehome their dog who they loved so much because it was the best thing. Also for the animals, maybe it was it was stressed out, maybe it became aggressive when it was around kids. And also as a parent, you have to prioritize the safety of your children. You don't know how or you know, some dogs are not compatible with small children, right, It's just the case. But I do think it is a very very stressful situation. And I also think that sometimes we are a bit too casual in how we deprioritize animals when we have kids come into our lives, like some people are, and that I have a real problem with. And I know that for us, there was definitely a period that was challenging, like when our kids were really really little. It was challenging to give Buster like all the love and affection and nurturing that he deserved and that he'd always received alongside our kids. But that was only a small period of time, you know, And now we're back to a really great balance where everyone is everyone is happy, everyone feels loved, and we've also been able to raise our children in a way that they know how much Busters are part of our family and how much they respect him. So they get up in the morning, they go and hug him. Then they come and hug us. You know, they treat him as though he's a family member as well.
Speaker 3: It is tricky though, and I now that we're talking about I want to highlight it. There are definitely so many reasons that people do need animals, and there are you know, I know some.
Speaker 4: Elderly people that weren't old when they got their dog.
Speaker 3: You know, they've aged with it, but they've gotten to the point where they've taken turns in their health and they physically can't look after that dog anymore. And them giving their dog up is because they love it enough to give it the life it needs. So I have seen that as well, cost of living, like you might get a pet or have your family when things are amazing, and then financially we've seen over the last few years so much has happened and there are a lot of people that can't afford to live, and so the first thing that's going to probably go in that situation, unfortunately, is maybe a pet that has cost you too much money, because there are things in your life you can't change, right, You need the roof over your head, you need to feature family, and you've got kids. I'm not saying that like I support that, but I one hundred percent understand why sometimes it has to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, I do agree completely with you, and I know that there are going to be, like I said, people who were listening to this episode who had to give up their animal after having children. And often it's because behaviorally it doesn't match up with having kids, it's noncompatible, and it's not safe for everybody in our household. So I totally understand those instances. But far out it's really hard, and I do think that some people, maybe to a lesser extent, but some people are too casual around the place in which an animal sits within their fam All right, question number two. This one's a little bit spicy. My husband was in the shower and I needed to go and do it. We so I went to the bathroom and as I was on the loo, I was having a bit of perv on him in the shower. He looked so good and he had a potential semi so I decided to strip off and jump in. We had sex in the shower. When we finished, I turned to get out and something dropped onto the floor. It was his phone. It had been propped up in the shower, so essentially, when I had come in to use the bathroom, he was watching porn on his phone in the shower and he was about to have a wank, hence his semi he was interrupted, and I felt kind of weird about it, like I had been a bit used, because you know, he already had a heart on and he was watching someone else and then I was just there to finish the job. Should I feel weird about this and have I been used? I just find it strange you were turned on while you're doing a week now, I don't. You're on the toilet and then you look over and you're like, oh, that man I married him?
Speaker 4: Because definitely not the moment that I would get the juices flowing. But I understand it. If you yeah, if you check Pervin, you're on your husband.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: This is interesting because I think this is going to be different for everyone and their thoughts around porn as a whole, Like not even the fact that you've finished it for him. I think some people are against porn some people it doesn't matter if their partner watches porn, and we've spoken about that in the part. For me, I don't care. I don't care if my partner's watching porn unless it was going to impact my life. He doesn't want to have sex with me anymore. That sexy is worse, it's changed, it's turned into porn type sex, whatever it is. But for me, if I walked in and found my partner watching porn in the shower, I'd probably be turned on. I'd probably like damn and want to get in on it. So for me, when I hear this and here you say you felt a bit used, that makes me a bit sad because I don't think that that's the case at all. Like he didn't do it and then invite you in to finish it.
Speaker 4: It was very.
Speaker 3: Situational, like he was having the time of his life. You stumbled in and he was like, hey, seize the day, sees the opportunity, let's roll with it.
Speaker 4: It makes me sad that you feel used by your partner, husband, boyfriend, whatever, Like, if you're in this situation, this isn't screaming used for me, this is screaming opportunist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Also, I think it would be a way bigger problem and a much different question if you were to say you walked into the bathroom your partner was watching porn, he had a semi You tried to have sex with him, and he was like, actually, I just would rather finish myself watching the porn. Like that's exactly That's when I would feel upset. That's when I'm like, oh, okay, well now, I mean unfortunately in this situation, this is a lose lose situation for your husband, and you have to think of it like that, right, Like he well, so, okay, you're upset with him because he was watching porn and he was going to jack off, but then you came in and he was like, oh my god, my beautiful wife who I want to have sex with.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Right, you're upset about that scenario, But you would be equally as upset if he turned around and said, oh, actually I'm not that interested and then finished himself off in the shower, right, Like, he can't win in this situation.
Speaker 2: He he did, did he finish?
Speaker 4: I mean, he won, But now you're angry at him.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, I understand that you might feel the way that you feel, and I'm not invalidating that at all, But what I'm saying is is the alternate option is way worse, Like that would.
Speaker 4: Have made me feel far more insecure.
Speaker 1: I don't think that in his mind at all, he was like thinking, oh, yeah, I'm still watching porn. Like I think that was just an easy option for him to get off. He was in the shower. He didn't think you were up for it. You walked in to do a week, you know, and no part of no part of that situation was he like, yes, yeah, we'll play, that's my point. So he was probably shocked that you actually were like yeah, you were like ready to get it on. And then he was like, cool, that's way better than having a watch porn in the shower.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be annoyed. Good on you for like snapping into it. I would just I would have seen him and I would have been like, God, that's solid effort right there. But that's because you got chid kids are downstairs watching Goco Melon had for a couple of days. I was like, I'm emotionally spent, but yeah, I personally don't think that this is a problem, although at the same time, I don't want to invalidate you when you say that you feel this way. It is okay that you feel this way. And it does also come down to what are your views on porn? Like you said, Britt, what are the rules in your relationship around porn? But I definitely personally wouldn't be taking this as a personal insult.
Speaker 3: As we said, this is us speaking surrounding our thoughts on a relationship and porn. We don't know that you haven't had discussions with your partner before around porn, like just watch it too much and it is an issue. There are so many things like this is a surface level answer for you, but with the information you gave us, I think embrace it.
Speaker 1: The sex was probably better to be honest, sure, okay? Question number three. This one came in on email. I've been single for the better part of ten years and I was always a single friend watching all my friends fall in love, which made me so happy, but it was definitely hard because I love love and I started to think maybe it wasn't for me.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love love, love love.
Speaker 3: Then in twenty twenty two, I met this amazing guy, but he lived overseas. My friends were really concerned because long distance is never easy and I've always had commitment issues, but this time it felt different and I thought he was worth it. Flash forward to now and I've never been happier. And last week, on a beautiful island, he asked me to be his wife.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't want to know.
Speaker 3: What's a cute way to tell my friends that I'm getting married?
Speaker 2: Spoiler it's me.
Speaker 4: How did you leave it to the third question?
Speaker 2: Because she's got diarrhea?
Speaker 1: I was going to tell you on Monday, I'd lied.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: In the question.
Speaker 4: I've been waiting so long to you because you've got diarrhea. A ship ruined, Your diarrhea ruin my moment.
Speaker 3: Your diarrhea overshadowed my engagement in true life and time?
Speaker 4: Can you believe it?
Speaker 1: My gosh, I have no.
Speaker 2: What are we gonna do? What are we doing now?
Speaker 1: Because there's so much and this is not getting tacked onto the back of an asking.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for Tuesday's episode. Yes No, we are Tuesday. Oh my fucking god.
Speaker 4: I literally was just thinking, we don't get this email the whole episode, and I can't put my hand in it because it's not sure yet.
Speaker 2: I keep put in my hand. Is it still no?
Speaker 4: This I'm shaking.
Speaker 2: I've been waiting to tell you, Oh my god, Honey, I can't believe you kept it in.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: We're so happy for you. Were so happy for you. Johnno with the confetti. John knew you talked John before you hold us.
Speaker 3: I talked John before you told me John, you're the cutest.
Speaker 1: Oh jees.
Speaker 2: That is so.
Speaker 4: I hate, okay, Britt, I hate how much. I was just like doing admin work on my laptop and I was like listening to this and then when you got emotional, I was like, maybe she's emotional because, like, you know, she really hopes that this is her. And I looked up and I could just see this massive ring on your finger, and I was like, see it because it's late the microphone what.
Speaker 3: I was reading the question and maybe when you go on the back you'll hear it, like we're looking for it in our email so I could copy it over into the show.
Speaker 4: Because I was like, what, you know, I've went my dire life for this moment.
Speaker 3: Five years of this podcast, we've spoken out love. I can't stop shaking. So I was like I need to tell them in a really cute way.
Speaker 4: So Laura's.
Speaker 2: I'm still.
Speaker 3: You've overshadowed my moment once with you poo keep it in this, ain't it? O? God?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm leaking from everywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy for you. I love you so much. I'm I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I have so many things. But we have to keep it for Tuesday.
Speaker 4: That's a real clock hang out guys, Crumb Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll unpack it all on Tuesday, because all I will say is like it was the most incredible ever.
Speaker 2: He can't believe you kept this is secret for a week, dude, it's been eating me up in sight.
Speaker 3: I only told John oh because when it fell through on Monday, he didn't know first, and when he felt when it fell through on Tuesday's episode, I was like, Okay, John, I'm just going to tell you because let's just make this a thing. I'm gonna have to restructure how I tell them. I'm gonna put it into an ask gun cut. That's why I told him. It's funny, it's more content. So John is amazing. So I told him. I was like, I just want you to make sure the camera's on. He's like, I'm gonna one up you. He's like, I'm gonna a confetti. I didn't know about this.
Speaker 4: I'm wearing a veil. Guys, Johnna brought me a bride to peer. So yeah that, Oh my gosh, that ring looks so good on your finger.
Speaker 1: Dude, dude, dude, are we to We're not answering any more questions that.
Speaker 4: I'm not even doing any more work. This is going out all He's just quitting. We're all leaking from every hole.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked that neither. I'm shocked neither of you. I'm not taking off, no pas. Yeah, so how do I sign off now?
Speaker 4: Is it like? Hi, guys, bye, fiance signing off?
Speaker 1: All right, everyone that listened to Tuesday's episode for more and you know the drill.
Speaker 3: So your mum, tell your dad, tell your friends to your fiancees, and share the love.