Speaker 1: The Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. Remember that one time where Frooms convinced me that she was Swedish and then when I said that's so crazy, like that makes a lot of sense, she then said she wasn't Swedish.
Speaker 2: I'm going to just jump in there quickly. Recently had to look at my ancest to your DNA test. If you gave your DNA away for free, and ye, you regret it, take solace in the fact that every year they updated, so it's more specific. I'll just say thirty three percent Scottish.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I am Squittish through and through love and also four per saint Norwegian. So I wasn't lying.
Speaker 1: You're on the cusp of something. What is the rest?
Speaker 2: I no Irish British?
Speaker 1: Why do you tay you don't want to be Irish British?
Speaker 2: Well, Scottish is cooler?
Speaker 1: Is it Irish?
Speaker 2: British? Blah potato Scottish killed vibes excellent Scottish. Oh, I love everything about that culture. And I will say, like I said that your biggest not that culture. Culture.
Speaker 1: Sorry h anyway, was that a thought coming?
Speaker 2: Well? Just to say my grandpa's both parents were Scottish, so then I'm one fourth Scottish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get really confused when you start talking about lineage part of me. Anyway, I was in Ghana. It was phenomenal. I have said about three times today that when you go somewhere for more than four weeks, it's a lifestyle change on a holiday. Now I'm back reintegrating. I want to say, I'm what's bicoastal intercontinental? Where are you from? Here?
Speaker 3: And there?
Speaker 1: Here? In there? Ghana two months of the year type vibes. It was phenomenal, But I will say it is the wild, wild West, and I wish I would have written down every kind of contradictory social norm that exists there versus here, like how the like the language that I speak there, which is tree, is such an indirect passive language that bleeds over into the entire culture. We can't get into it now. But an example, if you ask someone at any time how long something is going to take? How long till the food gets here? How long till the uber gets here? They will say not long, it should be here shortly, how many minutes? When God allows?
Speaker 2: So imagine when God allows, when God allows, so we need to bring a bit of that Pacific City into our lives as well. I think you do not.
Speaker 1: Anyway, here's the party for you. Miss you already Flex and froods your girl. Flex. Lillian Ess came back from four weeks abroad. Wow, yes, yes she did. I was in Ghana for the second time in one year. I am bringing back bragging. I feel like I've been a bit too humble on the show and it doesn't suit me. So let's let's let's start with the facts. Okay, no comment number one. The tickets were very expensive. Guess how much or return return five K six? Can you imagine six thousand dollars? Thousand dollars of course with fle emirates. But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Is it like seventeen hours away longer?
Speaker 1: So you gotta go from here to Dubai Classic nine hours, a cheeky little four four hour layover, and then it's fourteen to Ghana. That's if you're going direct. Sometimes you'll stop in other places. It's just a lot.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty much the same as if I wanted to go to the UK.
Speaker 1: No, the UK is closer UK seventeen hours?
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: What are you not?
Speaker 3: What are you not understanding? So like, Okay, here's here's Australia. We can't get into this right now. I'm sorry, we can't get into it right now. In your own time definitely, but for now, let's keep it pushing. I will say, though, when I go to Ghana, I try to share. I won't say as much as possible that to lie, but I try and share what that experience is like because I think, I think.
Speaker 1: Not the UK coming out. I feel like people don't have a great visual understanding of what Ghana is like, and so I'm just doing my civil duty. What I will say though, is if the VI visuals are confusing, assaulting, beautiful, the actual experience would send the average Australian into shock. I just feel like, no, there's just no way an Australian would go to Ghana and be like this makes sense. It is the most no man's land wild wild West experience you could ever think of. And the funny thing is longer you stay there, the more you normalize it. So an example, right road rules optional optional traffic lights, amuse them if you want to roundabouts, give way to whoever whenever or not, just beep your way through. Road Rage really isn't that much of a thing. But there's just general aggression because everyone's like, I'm just trying to get to where I'm going in the time. I'm trying to get there.
Speaker 2: Let me work my truth.
Speaker 1: That's pretty standard. That's fine. Then there's this like tipping culture. On crack we talk a lot about tipping culture. Generally we're Australians, we don't necessarily have to, but I guess, you know the implications of American lifestyle bleeding into Australian cultures that we start to absorb this kind of behavior. Got to eat. You tip people whatever, ghana, you're tipping for everything. It's like you're tipping for being a foreigner. You're tipping because it's Christmas. You're tipping because on the way to the bathroom somebody showed you where the bathroom was. It just happened to work at the establishments. So you gotta like fang them something small. And then let's say you're gonna catch a cab rat and some random man on the side of the street sees you get into the cabin opens the door for you. He'll then say, oh, something small for the boys, which means something that's the phrase something small for the boys something small for the boys, and you know what it means, Yeah, the boy is something small in Ghana, I've expressed this bit of no man's land and that definitely extends to crime, extortion and various like potentially illegal things. And so I would say maybe every other day when we would driving through, we get stopped by cops. Right, and this is not like tolls or like the traffic light is working, and the cops are like trying to direct you and where to go, just rogue cops and soldiers setting up their own barricades to extort you. So like you will drive, I'll be like, oh, there are cops coming. And sometimes if you're a woman driving because like you know, chicks and everything, they'll let you go like oh, you know, go on. But every other time they'll be like, oh, can I have some money for malt? Can I have some money for a little drink? Just something small? It's Christmas Christmas money. And then so you're saying them something like a little twenty here, a little thirty there, But realistically they're not gonna take that money back to the cop with the cops shop, They're just like putting in their pockets. So the more you try and resist, you're only making it more difficult for yourself because they do have some kind of authority, but not.
Speaker 2: Legal authority, so you can't necessarily. It's an inside job, So.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: But then it's kind of like there are no rules. So in the same way that you're getting extorted over here, you're off here doing something illegal anyway, like driving with no license. Not gonna incriminate anyone who drove when you were there, not gonna incriminate anyway. Who do you work for?
Speaker 2: Do people assume that you're a foreigner?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How can they takele.
Speaker 1: Assume I'm not only a foreigner but an American because Australia does not exist generally, but also in the eyes of Ghanians. I'll say Australia, they'll say Austria, and then we'll have a conversation about I'm not European, right, you know?
Speaker 2: So the is it initially American because of like your style.
Speaker 1: It's just I always try and ask it's not just the style, it's the aesthetic. It's my skin tone, it's the way that I'm pronouncing words in my language. It's all just kind of like Western fired But also my facial features. You would think I'd go to Ghana a bunch of doppel gangers around. Oh, I don't have a Ghanaian face, which is very disappointing.
Speaker 2: Damn Ip, though you would love it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what happened. When I was at the airport going to Ghana. I was like, let me change some money into American dollars so I can go change it into Ghana money when I get there, and they don't take Australian dollars obviously, because who takes Australian dollars? I changed five hundred US dollars and then I was like, Oh, this is gonna be amazing. I get to Ghana, I forget to change that money at the airport and say about two weeks into my trip, I'm like, oh, Mom, can you just take me to get this money? Exchange's like, ye're sick, we'll go now. So anyway, I meet her at this suburb she told me to go to, but it's in like I'm in like long hair, Yahoo motorcycle, Biki Gang district and I'm like, okay, why are we here? She's like, this way you get the money changed. I'm like okay, cool. Maybe there's like a little kiosk or something. There's like guys doing wheelies everywhere. There's no women, no women, it's just us with our little handbags, and like, hey, how are you doing? So my mom walks past this random tin sheard kiosk shop and she goes to this guy what's the rate? And he says eleven nine. I don't know what that means. And she's like, okay, cool, we'll come back anyway. We go to the next shop. He's like, what's the rate. Mom's like, Mom's like, what's the rate. They're like eleven nine to five.
Speaker 2: So we go back.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what does that mean? What's the rate? She's like, don't worry about it. Anyway. We go back to the original guy. And then I'm like, oh, we're getting the money changed here. She's like yeah. I'm like looking around, like Mom, we're into the biky mechanic bikey gaing garage and she's like, oh yeah, these are cash heavy businesses, so they'll have the money for us without the kind of like tax of going to like a legit environment. I'm like, how do you know this? She's like, it's just what you do. Anyway, so we're telling him I want five hundred dollars and he's like counting the money for us, right, And then I show him my five hundred US dollars. I've got four in one hundreds and then five twenties. He's like, oh nah, this is not gonna work. I'm like, what's the issue? He's like, this is newly money. We want the old school US dollars with Benjamin on them. Franklin. Why because it's the aesthetics of it. It's very americanized. Like we don't want this new one with all the other people on it. We want the original one. So the rate that you'll get will be less because it's gonna be hard for me to flip this money. And for the twenties, these aren't worth anything. So like I can give you, like I don't know, ten something for it, but you're not gonna get the full rate.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I'm looking around like is this real? Because if I could just go to a currency exchange, I wouldn't be having these conversations anyway. Got the money, it's fine if we live.
Speaker 2: Well, what an interesting experience.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. Everyone should go. Everybody should not go. You're gonna get scammed out of all of your money and Ghana.
Speaker 2: Did you go to the beach again?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: I was. I did this trip. So in February I went to Akura, which is like the Sydney and this time I went to the Canberra. So I was doing like real regional. Why because in December in Ghana it's called de December, dirty, December, tectic. Like everybody, all the diaspora goes into Ghana. Everybody's partying, like Kanye is there chance the rappers there? It's hectic, but I don't want to be clapping too much. I just want to be with goats, the farm, animals, the babies, the children, my mom I loved.
Speaker 2: Really quickly before we wrap it up. My favorite of Yrgana content this season was the stickers on the.
Speaker 1: Cart so good. We need to bring that here.
Speaker 2: Big ones, two huge ones and also there was one like bad boy or like there was something on the babes.
Speaker 1: Go to Flex dot Mammy on Instagram for all car decal content.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms. We have a caller on the line. They entered our always Sunny competition to come and hang out with us on an island in Sydney's Harbor. Sounds like it could be grim hanging out with us on an island.
Speaker 1: I disagree, castas wrapped in an island with flex and frooms. What happens next? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Anyway, we are avoid them. No, A gonna call Tate right now. Let's see if they pick up. My god, I'm scared.
Speaker 1: Hip picking up on the second ring. So Keen, can you imagine up? It is? In fact?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 4: Hello, Oh my goodness, suck.
Speaker 2: We we have some exciting news for you. Tate. Just want to say you love your work, hun, thank you. We want to award you with very special v IP passes to our Specsavor's Island event Always Sunny. Oh my god, thank you so much. Yeah, I'm so excited to you. You're going to be double passes with the VIP access as well as exclusive sunset session with drinks. What's your drink of choice?
Speaker 1: Take?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm a Foka Cranby girl.
Speaker 4: I'm basic.
Speaker 1: No, you're eighteen, You're not basic.
Speaker 2: You're just.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I haven't gone out that much.
Speaker 1: A little Bertie told me that you just finished high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have.
Speaker 1: How's that going?
Speaker 2: It's pretty chill?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm distressed about what to actually do.
Speaker 1: With my life.
Speaker 2: But you know what's new.
Speaker 1: Yes, we just got to figure that out.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get better, babe.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get better, babe, it just gets worse.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean, we don't get into an atar conversation, but you know we do know that. Oh yeah, unbelievably, unbelievably. Well it's to be expected. She did to go to a private school. I didn't do well. Shout out team fifty somethings. But you know, it all works out. It all works out. So I've everyone just kind of failed high school ish and then pick it back up in your early twenties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well that's good to hear.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're going to see you in a couple of days, so let's continue this conversation. Then.
Speaker 2: I'm so exciting, Tay. We also know that you like it, says on our sheet dressing sheet, My gosh, dressing up with trendy shoes. So what shoes are read to the island tone. Well, I'm actually going to wear it. I've got some new platform shandles.
Speaker 1: I think they're purple.
Speaker 2: They're very much like polypocket brass five hot.
Speaker 4: I'm wearing them now.
Speaker 2: They're so cute. I think that's what I'm going to shoot ob Oh my god. Okay, we'll see you on the island in February.
Speaker 1: God, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Guys, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Kisses, thank you.
Speaker 2: What a little cutie, Petuty Angel.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed. I just burped. Don't let it distruct you from the show. Flexs and frooms, get a snack. The information and Baptist share is going to change your life. I've found a new personality test.
Speaker 2: Tell me everything.
Speaker 1: You don't sound interested.
Speaker 2: My eyes glarted off.
Speaker 1: Your voice dropped. Why did you always drop? Tell me everything? It's really fun. It might be the only important one you need to take. It's called the Difficult person Test. Are you enthused?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Shall I continue?
Speaker 2: Please grate.
Speaker 1: So basically, it's a test that's gonna assess how difficult of a person you are. But there's a catch. Nobody can rank as not difficult. Nobody can get zero percent. Everybody is difficult in some capacity, just someone more difficult than others now from my research. And I didn't take it because I want us to take it together, not now, but in the future, somewhere so you have thirty six questions, their statements like the questions and statements like I use others for my own personal gain, slag may generally speaking, I am superior slay and I don't usually help someone unless there's something in it for me. I don't know about all that. And then once you answer all those questions, you're ranked on callousness, grandiosity, aggressiveness, suspicion, manipulative, manipulativeness, dominance, and risk taking. Now, I was going through some tiktoks of people who had taken this test and were reviewing their answers, and what I found with anybody who ranked really highly and being very difficult, they all knew how to flip it. Well, Am I dominant on my just assertive? You know? Am I manipulative? Or don't know how to ask what I want? Who knows? All I'm saying is we should take it and then armchair diagnose each other.
Speaker 2: I think I know where you would rank, Hi, it's the top percentile.
Speaker 1: Zero point zero one percent figh achiever.
Speaker 2: We want to be zero zero zero point one percent income difficulty yes, vibes flex and frooms FLEXI. I had a memory pop into my mind like it just came to me in a dream about a thing called uncanny Valley. Very you have you heard of it?
Speaker 1: Yes, but for the sake of this, no, I have not.
Speaker 2: No, you have not. Brooke hit the tape.
Speaker 4: The uncanny valley refers to a phenomenon where brains can register that something is very close to human, but we're also aware that something's not quite rape. It's the in between where we can process that something looks like a person, but it's not a person, and it causes feelings of distress. Believed to be an evolutionary mechanism which is also not exclusive to just humans, the uncanny valley is where we perceive these things to be a threat or not of us, and it can cause feelings of panic. One of the most well known modern examples of this was actually an early test screening of Shrek in two thousand, where Fiona was rendered as very hyperrealistic, so realistic that it surpassed the threshold of comfort and cartoon and moved into the uncanny valley. Children actually became so panick that this screening they were reported to be crying at the movie anytime she came on the screen.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love that can I just say, I imagine having the first run of Shrek pre digitization. I can see. So right now, we have a sheet in front of us of all these uncanny valley faces, and we have both pictures of Fiona in Shrek. One of them looks kind of like what's that actress, Felicity Hoffman. But the rest of these' it's I think it's something to do with the spacing and the eyes, but essentially they all kind of look like creepy characters you'd see in a horror movie. And it says it's something to do with evolution. You're trying to like read out different people in faces. And I have my own theory, which is that you know, there was a time where we weren't the only sentient beings on the earth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now you believe in spooky stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, let me hear it. Continue. It's not spooky unless evlation is fakey love. When there was the Neanderthals and there's something other sapiens.
Speaker 1: Homo sapiens. No, the other ones were Homo sapiens.
Speaker 2: Well you could be neandthal though potentially, so apparently there really are Neanderthals that have mixed with Homo sapiens. I always sort of people who had like a very strong brow, but apparently that's just an aesthetic thing that can happen regardless. But yeah, I think it's not something to do with us humans, because we are savages seeing things that aren't human and needing to kill it.
Speaker 1: A humans need to want other people and then to assume the other is dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I can get into a whole thing.
Speaker 1: Don't don't how humans, Brook said make one point. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more tune indicate on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.