Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian no Common Show podcast AM Blockbuster first came, it felt like a big slice of America. You know. It wasn't just about the movies and how hard it was to actually find the one you wanted to watch. It was also the the ice cream, something called Hargan dance. Oh, this is how they do an America. It's all part of the fancy American dream. You know, watch a video, they watch Hudson Hawk and up into their cookies and cream and there are Hargan dance. Honestly, kids today will never know how hard it was to find your favorite movie going in those blockbusters.
Speaker 2: It's been half an hour and the fday.
Speaker 1: Down the aisles up and you know, now on the couch when you're like even trying to find a movie to stream instant access on demand. I think Netflix. I checked yesterday. Three and a half thousand movies are on there, right, but it takes you ages just to settle them out, you know in a family. But I don't want that. I want that that used to go on up and down the ass. Do you want comedy drama, animation? Up and down? And then you had that fake find Oh we've got it. They've got it terminated too, must be the last one you leg it to the counter. And then some they were always like half asleep in they wanted it's out, So I forgot to put the rented card and the sleep Oh no, it's a fake fine, a fake mine.
Speaker 2: Back in there, back in the.
Speaker 1: Aisles, people behind the counter, you've got terminated too, No, it's out. And that even in that little system, there's to check in there if you've got signs of lamb out huts and hot fifty copies of that. It's always the rubbish stuff that they had loads of copies of.
Speaker 2: What did they do with all their new releases? Because when a new release came out, their big flex was we've got one hundred copies.
Speaker 1: You'd never post throughout the front, wouldn't you yet?
Speaker 2: So when winter weeklies, what did did they do with all those hundreds of copies? Because then they had none for every everything you wanted to get, And because new releases were more expensive, we were always encouraged to get weekly, so we were always walked past the new release section.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Also talking about the back of the store, do you remember that some of those video shops had had the special corner behind a curtain member themselves sort of grumbling and stuff like looking for like bear ass bingo stuff like that. You know, all those sort of strange bits out of the back there.
Speaker 2: And if you could hang around, you know, there might be a documentary section that's close enough that you can sort of peer through the curtain.
Speaker 1: Hong Kong movies was the bit behind the curtain. I just very into undubbed Jackie Chair movies, you know, and what is that in there? I saw? I saw a bottom, the hidden world, the hidden world in there. And then if you were lucky enough to get the movie that you actually wanted, right, you got your harg nas. You went home. Do you know those anti how terrifying, those anti pirrating ad work? You know you couldn't fast saw them right, and they would go pirating videos is a crime. We will hunt you down. And you're like, please, I just want to watch show Girls? Who is pirrating show Girls? Has anyone actually done prison time for pirates in a movie back in the ninth.
Speaker 2: I remember, have you got what you paid for? In mind that the very video you're watching now might be pirates? So hey, I just went to the video shop.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'd this, and then they used to slap up in the UK don't even to hear they'd have the FBI's logo, Yes, did the FBI this. They're watching this right now? They know I'm watching this has gone right at the top used to be absolutely terrifying, and then of course you had the quick drop box out the front. It must have been so much fun on a Monday morning for the people working there to open up there used to be like there used to be like beer cans. People used to shove in there half eaten bookers and stuff like that, and all those can anyone remember if they got a late fine and for what movie? Patsy oh Hapes Hapes?
Speaker 3: In fact, I had the Dick collector chasing me for ghost.
Speaker 1: I'd borrow oh Itzy, Yeah, crazy supermans back in bright from my cold.
Speaker 3: Hands, conveniently forgotten to take it back, and it was like one hundred and ninety bucks or something. Yeah, I've just forgotten.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, if you put that now, that's the equivalent to thousands, isn't it one hundred and ninety back in the nineties. How many years did you have it?
Speaker 4: For it?
Speaker 3: But I forgot I had it haws, you actually just stolen it.
Speaker 1: And it was a fine for feest.
Speaker 3: I was hoping they wouldn't notice, but because it was the only video store in town, I had to pay it or I'd never be able to borrow another video again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everybody in Wangerano wants to watch Ghosts at your house.
Speaker 1: And so did you get Blockbuster there or do you have a Video Easy with like the cheap and half priced Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: I think it was Blockbuster and then it might have became Video Easy, I think, but the very first store was Elliott's Golden Video in the late eighties. Yeah, up the street.
Speaker 1: Do you know what this morning? Then? I'd love to know, Like Patsy and Ghosts, can you remember any video you mantually get out that you had a late fine? Full? As well? Also, anyone who worked in those stores where there's Blockbuster or Video Easy. And I'm presuming there are are there any left that's DVDs now I think the.
Speaker 3: Last one's closed.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, if anyone knows that there is at least one, just one going now say it must be just DVDs. Now, we'd love to know, so we want on this morning? Then what was your late fine for out of video? Did you work there? And also I presume there were working. There's none open now in Melbourne, Australia. But if you know what the wise, give us a call. This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. We're taking you back to the days of the video stores for your video rentals. You kids today will never know how hard it used to be to watch a movie. Watch it on your phone, now on your Google glasses. What have happened to those? Show me? Then we're going to be the next big thing. I reckon. There's loads of landfill seized un pairs of discarded Google class.
Speaker 2: I would love to know if anyone in the city still wears the Google glasses.
Speaker 1: How hard it was to watch a video back in the day when you're too blockbuster or video.
Speaker 4: Easy with so many copies of the sixth sense it will be in stall or you're rented free. Guess the blockbuster promise Blockbusters?
Speaker 1: And you said there used to go one hundred copies of the six go wait till Friday? Did you finish work? You need to go Thursday night to get it ready. And I'm saying earlier about that that terrifying piracy advert videos. This was the music, wasn't it. Do you remember some sketchy looking guys straight outs and killed her.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't steal a handpag, you wouldn't steal a.
Speaker 1: Car, but you would pore a gopy of Hudson or all right, that's gonna work, Lewis, Good morning, Lewis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, give out, Chris and I used to love the video store. I'm finding with these streaming services that I actually watch any movies. That just spent so long looking for something to watch. When I went to the video store, I made sure I got my five weeklies and I sat down and watched those five weekly.
Speaker 2: The weeklies, they were just pretty much given away from.
Speaker 1: You're right, Lewis, there's too much choice.
Speaker 5: Now you're sat in front, can watch anything, watch and if you do get you get like two minutes into something and go, oh, this is boring, I'll turn it off. But when you actually went to the video store and you made that commitment to look around and spend hours in the video store looking for someone what you'd made sure you sat down and watched that movie beginning to end, and you watched the commercials before the film started.
Speaker 1: You preach it was, and also there was no you're not you can bail out of a movie easy now because there's another one. There's another fifteen you can choose from. When we used to watch a movie, no one just got up and left it. You would watch that in time because it's a big deal. There's a movie in your front room and you had your leads a tub of Hargain dance as well. Lewis great call, Thank you very much, are you sir, Jess? Good morning, good money? Jess. What do you remember about the days of the video stores and Blockbuster?
Speaker 3: So this wasn't overdo easy.
Speaker 6: Do you remember when you did.
Speaker 7: High videos from the look bar?
Speaker 1: Yes, they always have a very slim selection and they were they looked dodgy as well. They had like the very badly photo copied covers.
Speaker 2: That's who the FBI.
Speaker 7: So we were looking everywhere for the Spice World movie. I don't remember if you remember, but when it came out, it was huge and she could not get it anywhere, like they were waitlists.
Speaker 5: That was huge to hire the.
Speaker 2: Movies SpongeBob.
Speaker 7: O Hey for SpongeBob, SpongeBob Spice World.
Speaker 5: Was yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we finally founded a copy of the Milk Bak.
Speaker 1: So we hired that had it for about three weeks and then we finally.
Speaker 7: Made to take it back.
Speaker 1: We got the lifetime then the milk Bar because Steadium sir a lifetime from any Sweet and they did the milk zero tolerance tough on the causes of piracy. That is amazing us. You really enjoyed Spice World.
Speaker 3: She kept it.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I guess they only have about ten movies. So if one's missing for three weeks.
Speaker 1: Here the old business modelers out of wak Actually, yeah, Jess, that's it. Brett One, thank you very much your story. Thanks, thank you. We have to do a phone in one day about lifetime bands from your milk bar. Let's go to Amanda.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Amanda, Good morning Christian So.
Speaker 6: I used to work in a video store in the eighties called Video Phone. It was in Southierra in Tuacro and our very innovative friend Tony decided to open this store and we'd be the first store ever to deliver videos to someone's home.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's actually quite a good idea. So how did it work?
Speaker 3: Well, what do you do?
Speaker 6: If you'd ring up, you'd say which video you wanted, we'd check that we had it, and I was on a shift with my best friend and we loved working together. So unfortunately, when they would ring and after the video and then they'd give us their address, we would then go to their house, but we would shut the store so we could stay together and we would deliver the video and sometimes I'd ask for a packet of cigarettes from the seven to eleven next door or deer or we're just going pick it all up.
Speaker 1: And you were a uber first door down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were the first ubers.
Speaker 1: You were that years ago, back in the day with video phone. It's a very high maintenance business models. You've got to shut the store every time you've got like two hundred customers trying to get in, and you're heading off to some address and doing getting slushies at seven eleven on the way.
Speaker 6: That's right, But I don't think it didn't last very long. Maybe less than a year, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because you do like three rentals a night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 6: Really, because obviously we couldn't answer the phone if we were out delivering, and we just liked working together so much that would just leave the store.
Speaker 1: Oh what brittant memories Amanda, Thank you very much for sharing that may have a good day. Thank you, Sarah, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 7: Here are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm good? So video stores, Video Easy, Blockbuster? What do you remember?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 7: I actually got my mum a ninety dollar fine that went to the deck collectors because I hid the making of Thriller in my bedroom for like months.
Speaker 1: Contracts and how much how much did it get up to?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was over ninety dollars. So when the deck collection letter came, then I came clean and told her that I had been interesting letters from the video shop and yeah, got into a world of trouble.
Speaker 1: For that one, I bet you do.
Speaker 7: And the making of the thriller, Yeah, the making of Michael Jackson's Thriller. It was on VHS and it was Yeah, it was my favorite movie for years. So I decided I didn't want it to go back to the shop and needed.
Speaker 5: To stay with me.
Speaker 1: It was yours and yours Sarah, Thank you very much. A cool have a good day.
Speaker 7: Thank you, he too, a brainer.
Speaker 4: Now you're listening to the Christian o'crl's Show podcast