Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Happy Monday, Sweetie Pies. You know, I'm still talking to people about why I didn't like the Barbie movie. It really hit people, and I've come to a few conclusions for generalizations really based on the people who are querying me and what I didn't like. And what I can confirm is that the ven diagram between intense Taylors with fans and Barbie fans is a circle. Not derogatory, just an observation.
Speaker 1: I hated being contrary. It didn't suit me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but well I thought, I thought I ate with that first hat you did. I stand by you, I.
Speaker 1: Mean Mickey, and they were in the cinema together, and you know we have one brain, so if she was yeah.
Speaker 2: Today we talk about how you refer to yourself in your head, and I pose the question, do you really have full responsibility or full ownership of your home if you live in a sharehouse. It's controversial, but we must discuss it.
Speaker 1: Let's go. You're listening to Flex and Rooms on cater often in this landscape in Australia, I'm thinking, have new sites run out of things to write about.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know how I feel about new sites. And then when I say new sites, I mean broadcasters who publish stuff online. I'm talking Channel seven, Channel ten, Channel nine. It's all just sadness and misery. If I see one more news story of a freak accident or someone getting murdered by their loved one, I'm like, just tell me what the stock market is doing. I'll take that into said.
Speaker 1: Tom Petrowski for life. Look and this isn't me taking a dig at the ABC because actually not like a little bit of fruitiness.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And they went full free with this one. They had like a live it was like an election, a live feed where people could rank Australian animal sounds from top to bottom. This is like, yeah, the election, They've got the role in coverage.
Speaker 2: I told you the world is getting weirder and weirder and weirder. And that made me sound like a traditional crude.
Speaker 1: But this is just this is it's not looking good. So can you just take around and guess, I mean, you've read it now, but.
Speaker 2: Well I keep glancing at the word magpie, so I haven't read it.
Speaker 1: With all due respect, that was the number one animal sound magpie. Magpie is like the squawking. It's a horrible, horrible sound.
Speaker 2: He was a little something like, what.
Speaker 1: All right, he's getting a up, y'all while she's doing that. Some other ones that were considered good was a frog, and I must say I had a bit of an investigation while ago.
Speaker 2: I love a frog in Queensland.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but I was in Bondi the other day, Bye, the other day, I mean two years ago, and I could hear this like croaking, and allegedly it is frogs. I went looking for the frogs. They were nowhere to be seen. I love that.
Speaker 2: What about a sokata?
Speaker 1: Cicadas are my number one favorite sound. It's the sound of summer. I also have some reminiscent nostalgia vibes. When I was a kid, my grandparents had a tree in their front yard which the cicadas would take their clothes off on even they shed takeo j I'm saying, you've seen a cicator. Yeah, you've not seen a cicada shell two thousand and three, guys.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen dog pool on the street in a while either, all right, But that's for the good reasons.
Speaker 1: To end this break, guys, Mickey's got a sound of a magpie?
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Rat, yeah, see. I don't know if that's the best sound we have on offer. I think that's just birds. I think yeah, those were like birds to me. This feels like quintessential Australiana if you were building a scene of Australia. That's the sound I want to hear. But is it the best sound? I don't know if it's the best sound.
Speaker 1: Often we joke in a Shoe, which we did mean minutes ago, that whenever there comes a time for a mental health query at the flex Froom show, it is firmly directed at Freemi Friminda Lucina Frim's price. I thought that I was keeping the mental health foibles under the wraps leaking. We were saying earlier, how like if Flexi takes fu days off the internet, people are like knocking on you everything okay?
Speaker 2: And now I'm having a question myself, is everything okay? I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 1: Look, we had someone send a voice not in, which always is our preferred method of communication. I think it's also great to get your This sounds condescending, but I'm a stick by it always great to get your voice note skills up to scratch.
Speaker 2: She said, maybe don't send us the first tape. No, no, no, Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, maybe practice.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, this is like a safe space to try your public speaking, oh situations, because I find I find you know, if I'm in a dating scenario, send a little voice message. You've got to do it back and forth a couple of times. You're doing it in like the voice memos. I's supposed to straight into the chat. However, I will say the unsent function on most devices. Now the unsung hero. Now, Mickey, please play the tape.
Speaker 3: Hey, ladies, I am doing you the honor of a voice message because I know you girls prepare that. I'm a mass fan of The Potty and I feel like I'm always having a chat with my besties in the car when I listen to it.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: But I was wondering what the girls would think about something that Threumy said on The Potty that kind of triggered a cascade in my brain about living up to your potential. And she said she always did that, and I feel like I always do that in myself. But I've had a lot of people around me say you always take on too much and you know, are you trying to fill a void or something like that, and it is up for different opinions, but I feel like I just have so much potential to be creative and I want to spread that love. So that's kind of where I stand on it. But there's also burning out and take you on too much. So I just wondered whether that's something they want to chat about. And I want to hear the thoughts. Thank you so much, ladies, love your lots.
Speaker 1: Immaculate, obsessed, maculate voice, not skills, a little bit of like a compliment up top.
Speaker 2: Yeap, get to it. Definitely sandwich of the compliment top and tail is always great.
Speaker 1: She wasn't demanding no no called action is great.
Speaker 2: Let us feel what you want to do with this information? Can this be anonymous and you respond to it. It's just a thought I wanted to share. That's always really helpful.
Speaker 1: Let's have a look what I've written. We came up with this concept a couple of weeks ago, and I wrote down something and then this morning I was looking at our braks and I read through what I wrote and I thought this was someone sending us in some advice. Yeah, I was as saying this is eating so I'm a repeat it verbatim. Wow, hard relate on this question. Love the fact that you.
Speaker 2: Changed the depth of your voice to be yourself.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I think you should take stock of what exactly you think your potential is and then see if chasing after that will align to your values. It is also helpful to look back at your achievements and times you felt you lived up to your potential. How did that make you feel? For me? When I did well in school, always willing to drop the atar, but I won't please not some point of ninety seven point ninety five. I've never heard that it was a bumper year ninety seven point ninety five, that some tutoring involved. Who care for me?
Speaker 2: A silent academic? But this is.
Speaker 1: Throwing the hat in the air.
Speaker 2: Guys, all right, I'm telling the internet this.
Speaker 1: I felt so surprised and proud. This is me. I felt so surprised and proud. I remember I got my atar over text. My sage was like the first year when they came on text and I was in anyway, I won't tell you, sorry, Yeah, but the person I was we was shocked to their core, and it definitely gave me a major amount of confidence in my capabilities going forward. However, in other instances, take oh, I won't go there. But let's say you have some sort of mental health foible and you do something like you take it too far. Then living up to your potential is actually quite a limiting experience because the ideal version of yourself is a tricky thing to move towards. You'll also never know if you really lived up to your potential. I don't have direct advice regarding what I even though I just said all that, but I would say from my POV, the idea of my quote unquote potential is definitely still there a bit, but it's being superseded by wanting to enjoy the moment, which I think is difficult to do when you're quote unquote striving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also yearninghining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, productivity is an illusion and a F word may just stitch up due to the industrial revolution vibes smiley face with a nose.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was impeccable.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Thanks so anyway, I'm with you, sis. This actually came out quite a pertinent time, as per usual, because we're all in the same brain wave.
Speaker 2: And when I say at the end is near, that's why it's come up for everyone. You don't have to think about your purpose for living when you think you've got securies to go climate change, that I was gonna fix a baby, Yeah a, I will fix it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on kit.
Speaker 2: Got a question that needs an honest answer, honest and earnest if you would. I need to understand how you refer to yourself in your head? Is it by name? Do you say, oh, Rooms? If I was Rooms, No, I'll be myself. Flex needs to go to or do you say I? Or is it me? Or is it we? Once I saw this originally on TikTok, the videos gone, so I can't even reference the original creator. And that's what happens when you delete the con don't you post okay, we can't give you credit. Anonymity is a myth. So initially, once I had listened to the video, I psyched myself out and I couldn't think of how I refer to myself because they all sounded fine. I will say if it's to do with something communal for my house, I'll say, like we need to we need more drinks, the house you living alone? Yeah, me and all my personalities. But if it's if it can be used by other people, or we need more we need more toilet paper, Oh, we need more drinks. Yeah, you know. But if it's like individuals, Oh, I need to eat and you say I in your head, I need to eat.
Speaker 1: I didn't think that you had a dialogue. No, it's the visual Oh, okay, you don't have visuals. I have both, I say which is?
Speaker 2: And when I say I don't have the visuals, it means I can't conjure out something I haven't seen before, so I can whack together elements of things.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying we're walking down a cobblestone street with plane trees that are overhanging over the thing.
Speaker 2: You know, your brain doesn't go to I'm still suck on cobblestone.
Speaker 1: So okay. When I refer to myself, it's a little bit deranged. However, I have started calling myself through me. Oh like when I'm on the internet too much, I think of my life in terms of Instagram stories.
Speaker 2: Did I give you the name for me?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you gave me FLEXI. I mean people would have used it casually. But I feel like you gave me flexi, and I quite like flexi because before, before flexi, it was just flex and then it used to be like flex Miami, felix whatever. Flexi is a fresh one. People would assume that was a slur for me. Okay, so back to what you were saying, so for me, But otherwise, I what you say to work. We needs to work. We needs to.
Speaker 1: Get my nickname out of your mouth, needs to sur how does it work? We need to get her up and do something. It's when I'm thinking about funny things I want to do, like free needs to like do a dance in my brain where I'm doing a dance battle against the family that lives in milkba storied moment in the froom of these So yeah, I guess as well. Because I'm a writer, like I will think in terms of if I'm writing a story about myself, does does that kind of make like I'm often thinking in sentences that I can say, oh, I also write the way that I speak.
Speaker 2: So an actually skill's let's say, and we'll end on this note. Very few people I can't even do it. I don't often write the way do I speak? Depending in some contexts, you know like you do it effortlessly because I get the emotion attached to what you're saying. I get the tone very easily. I never misunderstand what you're typing to me in any context, whereas I feel like I can flip between it a few different styles of writing that are quintessentially me, But depending on the context, it might feel more playful than I intend to come across, or more excited than I intend to come across. Because I type in all caps when I'm feeling quite neutral, you know, CEEO, see am.
Speaker 1: I AM, I am I the asshole.
Speaker 2: I close the question. It's really your house when you live in a sharehouse. This is not me being facetious. It's me realizing that very often when we talk about sharehouse dynamics, what comes to the forefront is this friction between what you, as people who live in this dwelling, are allowed to do and not do based on the other people who live there. Right, And you could say, well, you have those rules in any kind of house, but in a traditional family house you have not just rules for existing, but you have permission to do certain thing and that's innate. It doesn't change, sharehouse vibe don't really make sense anyway. We did get a listener letter in and when I say listener letter, it's a d M via Instagram.
Speaker 1: Let's bring back letter send us letters?
Speaker 2: Hey, can we drop the address now? You know?
Speaker 1: Someone sent me an email the other day because I close out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: And I like that people are sending through me emails when they can't get through their dms. Because for what happened for I would say about four months is if people couldn't get through through me, they dear me and get me to pass on the message. Just with my schedule, I wasn't getting there on time. Listen to this Hello girl bosses, Hello, I need help. I feel a confrontation pending. Who oh, and I need your sage expertise to get me through it. My housemate and friend, Cindy not her real name.
Speaker 1: Is oh okay, I said it to me.
Speaker 2: Licinda Yeah, is dating her colleague. She works at a local pub. And it's a bit incesty in that everyone dates everyone. I'm not as big as a fam. He comes over after work like two am on a weeknight and starts slamming doors using our shower, sometimes even using the microwave and it's loud. I've told her before that if he's over, he needs to be a little quiet. I work nine to five and I'm a light sleeper. Anyways, these little sleepovers have up in frequency in the last four months. It was twice a week, so to now five to six days a week. And the other day Cindy very nonchalantly mentioned that the boyfriend has nowhere to live, that he's been kicked out of his sharehouse, which got me thinking, wait a second, is he living here? I've noticed his stuff is in the living room and I stuck into her room and he's put his whole desktop computer in there. I feel like she should have told me that he was moving in, and I feel so nosey having to ask. But at the end of the day, you can't have someone move into our house and not tell me. Am I the asshole for thinking this way? Am I crazy?
Speaker 1: Please help quite a precarious situation.
Speaker 2: It's not looking good, brav, But look, we do have some sage advice for you, so I can understand why. Fundamentally, sharehouse dynamics are set up to fail because a lot of us escape the sharehouse dynamic of traditional home for this freedom that you lose when you live with strangers. My question is, and I just want your honest answer, do you have to run your life by the people you live with because you happen to live in the same house? You know, for all intentsive purposes, If this person is paying rent to be there, let's say two p fifty to fifty, they're idle to fifty percent of whatever they want to do in the house. Like, what is the math there? And then if you pay more, are you more entitled?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Floor space wise, because this person could say, well, I live here, it's my house, it's my rent, it's my partner. They're in my room. Yep, what's the issue.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, I've never really lived in a sharehouse where there was a partner who would come over a lot scary. I don't know how i'd deal with it. So I think that.
Speaker 2: Would be a perpetrator of that.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, Actually I went through a little faith. No, I'd go to his house just as much.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I can see how it get quite grating. Yeah, you don't want another body in your house? Well, you gotta have a conversation to giry how I reckon like started over text because she knows what she's doing, she knows she's put in the boundaries, but you got to let her know because she might just think that you're chill with it.
Speaker 2: I feel that it could definitely come across as well. She hasn't mentioned anything yet. If it's an issue, she would have said something, which we're gonna chat about this in future, because they've seen a lot of advice floating around the internet, and I don't know where it's come from, but it's cropped up quite frequently, people saying that if someone hasn't come to you directly, assume there isn't a problem. Don't measure their body language, don't catch a vibe, don't just suss their Instagram and draw conclusions. If they haven't told you directly directly, there is no problem. I would disagree, but that's not all we're discussing today. In this instance of what to do with this sharehouse. I like Fumy's advice of sending a text first, barumeda vibe, get a vibe check. It could just be like, oh my god, sorry, yep, I was gonna mention it he's actually leaving tomorrow or good or It could be the start of a never ending conversation and you might need to leave or sabotage them. Yeah yeah, how would you do that? Just make it really uncomfortable for them.
Speaker 1: You know what you should do, This is a classic one. Boil an egg and then put the egg in the room. I can't find it, and then all sat ron, I've done it before. You have accidentally when I was a kid, I've told you, oh, accidentally, yeah yeah, never on purpose.
Speaker 2: She's a victim.
Speaker 1: Been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.