Speaker 1: We would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of this land that we record this podcast on and pay respects to the elders, past, present and emerging.
Speaker 2: We must always remember that under the concrete and asphalt that this land is, was, and always will be Aboriginal land. Hi, I'm Ruby, Hi, I'm Amanda.
Speaker 1: Welcome to its layered in studio, recorded in Malablle. Can you believe that? I don't know how many times I have to say that to believe they're recording in studio.
Speaker 2: Believe it, receive it, achieve it. That's a manta right there for your day. Okay, That's all I'm saying. Yeah. Man, So we've been having a blast like doing recording the special, and we wanted to talk about the beauty of our blackness. I think a lot of the time we talk about the struggles or the difficult parts about being black and so on and so forth, but we also wanted to celebrate ourselves and what it means to be black. But before we do that, to get into the top, okay, okay, I wanted to ask you am what you got. The question is you know you're a black when so finish the same.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I'm cracking up. Okay, share when you think you can twerk, But what about Minie Cyrus? She learned to talk, Yeah she learnt, but we think we can already, but I can't. Yeah, but no, but you have this notion that you could, don't you or at least that you can die. Okay that, yes, for sure, that's true. If someone said, hey, you got no rhthm oh hell, no, I'm black.
Speaker 2: But I also know black people who can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah a whole lot, girl. Even some dancers start out like this a dance l some craakiness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true for me. I think you know you're black when you can't disrespect your parents publicly. You know you'll get a whooping if you try and pretend to be like too cool for school. You know that those things are like, there's a me more joke about. I went to my white friend's house and they were like, they shouted their mom, no, Sarah.
Speaker 1: I won't do that. First child.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's like never. And then you tried at home. We've spoken about me slamming the door on my parents. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's still a life.
Speaker 2: Loveing mom and dad, please don't pay back me.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else that you you know you're black when nothing is yours? Everything has to be shared, like your bedroom when yous come.
Speaker 2: Like, why am I on the floor in my own room? I think I definitely you know your zimbol. But yeah, definitely, I think you know you're black when you open the fridge thinking there's ice cream inkid oh, it's like they repurpose and stored like leftovers. Brou the heartache, the heart ache so savage.
Speaker 1: I think I still if I still see like a vanilla or ice cream, but container just assumed there's like beans or something inside exactly, not ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is why I was saying, like we've been recycling before. Recycling was a thing.
Speaker 1: Very purpose that I think you know you're black when yeah, you can't speak back to elders, you can't say your actual thoughts. Yep, we're muscled on another less just keep it.
Speaker 2: To yourself in your own head. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. There's so many things. Do you guys feel free to comment and let us know you know you're black when? Because I feel like there are so many But I guess leading into the meat of this topic, what is blackness to you? Like, what what the hell are we talking about when you say the beating in our blackness? What is blackness?
Speaker 1: I guess obviously the actually being black, But more importantly, I think it's just like realizing that due to a lot of different things, we are in some ways a marginalized part of society, especially in diaspora, but we're also a revered part of society. Like a lot of people. A lot of people use us as reference points. Whether they want to credit, they really do, but but it's like a lot of I think for me anyway, that's how I see it, that we're quite influential without meaning to be like what's TikTok without all these training dancers and yeah, I guess particularly in that space African American experience. But still even right now music afrobeats is having a moment. Yeah, that's undeniable. So I suppose we've always had. If you look at music, even history, like rock and roll, even the blues, all that stuff is rootted in blackness for sure. So I think we're so we are influential. Yeah, we leave our mark, but we also allow space for others.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're nurturing, welcoming, I feel because we know.
Speaker 1: What it's like to be ostracized, so we're like, because we know that, we can then hold space for you definitely.
Speaker 2: And I think I was as you were speaking, I was wondering, can we agree there's one universal term for blackness? And I think it's we can generalize and say there is, but really obviously there's different kinds of blackness, like a black Britge is different to black Colombian, different to you know, like there's so many. Yeah, but on a whole I think for me, blackness I refer to as like what we bring to the table on a global scale.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, they say black people create culture often torot to as the culture on the INTERWEP.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you agree on thousand percent? You already said it. I think you know the corn rows people, you know, the Kim Kardashians doing cornrows wouldn't have done It came from blackness. And the crazy thing is when you actually know the root of cornrows, how slaves used to do that, to to put pathways, yeah, and seeds in their hair for when they were being transported so that they could continue their food, you know, when they were So when you know the history just like Kim K, what do you know about slavery? But anyway, have been.
Speaker 1: Coming for I also want to do celebrate.
Speaker 2: I do also like like it, but you know, I'm objective, okay, But yeah, I think definitely that's the culture. Music, dance, you know, art, food, There's so many elements of what we contribute to culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think also having said that, we have to give a lot of credit to African Americans, yes, because I think they've pushed the envelope in what is deemed to be black, yes, and then worldwide obviously with the push of America and media, it's like this, you know, this dance that we do, like they're influenced by Africa, influenced by other black people over the world, but the reference point always tends to be African American lens. And I think if we'll say the culture, yes, they are actually probably referring more to an African American experience. Definitely, not to minimize what other but I think there's a huge A lot of times it's Africans who complain like ah, but or like, you know, you guys make fun of us. But I think we also have to realize that they've also pushed for.
Speaker 2: Us the envelope. Yes, especially in a world coming from a world where you know, America has a strong position in media, and so they've represented us, I guess blackness well in those spaces, or tried to represent black pass well. So what are some of the things that black people created or that we say black people pioneered, that you love or would like to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Oh, where do I start?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean music is obviously something just touched on. I think for me that's probably it, because I think for we spoke about how music is something we can't live without. Yes, and I think just from us singing even in choirs, singing as in churches all the way to like you know, huge productions and studios such as this one. Yes, it's like we've had our finger on the pulse when it comes to what people listen to, you know, Order Trey, Yes, yeah's you know, I just find that I don't know, it's it's everyone takes their piece of music and you know, makes it their own, but it's all rooted somehow somewhere along the line in blackness.
Speaker 2: For sure. You feel as you mentioned Elvis Presley, you know, the rock and roll Beach Boys, all these people the influence of that. I agree with music. I also think in fashion. Remember we watched Next in Fashion and we watched this season with actually Zimbabwe and born Fara Samoy and she was talking about her and her partner in the competition. We're talking about the streetwear and you know things like rock Away and Boo Hoo boo and all that and how that really influenced, you know, culture and how for example, breakdancing helped like really propel editors and then so on and so forth. If you look at Michael Jordan, what he did with Nike, Yeah, so many elements that have influenced and still to this day influence how we dress. And Aliyah giving us the nineties low cut genes and whatnot that still lives on to this day. So definitely, so many elements. And then now we're seeing this pride, African pride and how we dress, and that's I think we need to credit West Africa a lot Nigerians Ganans for being proudly you know, preserving their culture and their dress so that you know, we too a Zimbabwe two we often speak about diluted a lot of our culture can now still feel good and proud about that.
Speaker 1: Because they're definitely proud like traditional where everything. Yes, so it's very different from us, I think, and we've adopted that. I remember even actual we all wore like traditional. But then is that even traditional to zim No, not.
Speaker 2: African and African exactly. But I think there's so much you know, we have if you've watched Hidden Figures, about the influence of I forget their names in NASA and how mathematically they impacted that sport. I mean, if you look at athletes, it's all based off the power and strength of I guess the slaves that were traded the strongest, the fastest, who traded off to the US. If you look at food, so I.
Speaker 1: Just feel about seasoning. You know, there's alway those jokes on TikTok about not seasoning your food.
Speaker 2: Probably no, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely. So there's so many elements of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you probably already mentioned it. But what do you think it is about black people that makes us beautiful?
Speaker 2: I think you actually touched on it, which is just our grace and giving enough space for others. Even though we go through a lot, we're still able to welcome and I think that's part of what made us get colonized by the way, yeah, miss that nice guy exactly, not me coming back to colonization and like turning. But yeah, that being willing and willing to share ourselves and our culture and being communal oriented. I think that's just yeah, one of the beautiful things about us. Of course we can go on a physical our skin, our beauty, how youthful we can look even as we grow older. Just our style and our pride in how we look. I don't know our languages, our.
Speaker 1: I think if you look, especially when you talked about the nurturing aspect of us, I think I remember like even during slavery, they had a lot of nurses. I mean, like what do they call night nurses? Like for the kids kids were raised by the help, you know, the help tended to be black. And I think that that notion still happens even if you look at Zimbabwe with the same setup, yes, where it's like we could always rely on our our mother's yes to hold us up, you know, no matter if they're suffering and going through your lot. And I think that permeates and how we are with other races and how we interact with other races. You know, there's a lot of prank videos. I see it a lot of times, it's Black people who actually step in and say something. You know, something means happenings. I think we've felt so imaginalized that we're always looking out for And there's not a bashing of other races in any respect. It's just us taking time.
Speaker 2: To acknowledge, acknowledge and take.
Speaker 1: A pat on the back of our ancestors that have come, you know, and impact us and we stand on the shoulders of today.
Speaker 2: And also resilience. I think that's one of the beautiful things about us that we stood the test of time in spite of all these things and we and we are not embittered. Well, obviously there's some people who are. There's a generalization, but I think that is testament to just who we are is in spite of we still are giving and loving and not. Yeah, that's resilience and it's really really amazing to even think about. But how do we as black people maintain our beauty in spite of our suffering? So we've talked about resilience and how do we actually do that in spite of suffer bring, alienation and oppression? What do you think it is.
Speaker 1: I think we do have a spirit of don't care, okay, the spirit of confidence, yeah, the spirit of being comfortable with the space we're in. I find like there's nothing worse than coming from a styling point of view then walking into a shop and all the clothes are to not your size because you've got ass and or hips. So because you operate always as added, always as left out, you then almost kind of build the stick skin, this confidence where it's like, well, they really don't have space for me, so I got to fit in or or at least, you know, push myself in, otherwise I'm not there. I'm not considered at all. And I think when you always operate like that, it builds this muscle where you're like, well, I can face anything. And I guess that's the resilience that you're talking of. But I think that does hold us well, especially when you move away from our homes. A lot of us are not living where we were raised or where we were actually from because of economic reasons, a lot of times economic, so we just always look back home as a reference. And this podcast is certainly rooted in that.
Speaker 2: Definitely, that aspect definitely, and I think it's telling our stories too. I remember growing up my grandma would tell us Gulo's stories and you know, yeah, and things like that. Like that also verbally right, we're very much like we orators passed it on, you know, things like that. And I think we also maintained religion as much as we spoke about religion and some of the limitations of it. Forgiveness, I think is a big part of blackness, and that's what enables us to keep going and not be bitter and like we we really hold on too religion sometimes our detriment, but I think sometimes it also helps us to forgive so we can keep on, you know, not hold on to the baggage so much, so we can actually keep going because imagine if we're just like all the hate just festering, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, even think of South Africa where you lived for a while. Yes, it's like, how do you move past aparthid? Do you know? And ninety four is not when you think of historically, ninety four is not that long ago at all, and those people are still living today in some sort of society together. Yeah, you know, so it does take a lot of forgiveness to move past those atrocities. So yeah, it's a commendable thing, but it does have its drawbacks, like are we too forgiving?
Speaker 2: I think so are we too just like.
Speaker 1: Ah well, I mean life, Yeah, it happens. Or make it work becau Zimbabweans does make it work. Mentality, A lot of people are like, why didn't you protest when you're under dictatorship? Yes, you know why. You can't stand for that. You might have to take arms, you might have to bleed on the streets to free yourselves under that oppression, but we chose to just be.
Speaker 2: Like, get that work, get out. I think also to dance and music. As we've said, we sing and dance when we're happy, we sing and dance when we're sad at funerals and things like that. I think that's also what's carried us. We've already spoken about music, but I'm talking about it in kind of like the traditional way. I think that being moving your body. You know, they talk about it if you want to let go of stress or anxiety, to move your body, not just physically like running or exercising, but also dancing and singing. And I think it's a part of who we are and I think it helps us to release a lot of the baggage and the way. My mom always used to say that she thinks Black Americans can sing incredibly well because they suffered so much and singing was the only way to release a lot of that pent up frustration and hurt, and so they really just she specifically it was referring to gospel music and how you know they really like a lot of artists come from gospel mute.
Speaker 1: A lot of them, you know, grew up with that culture. Yes, yeah, yeah, that's where they hold their voice. Even told they could sing, yes, because at the young ages they were leading choirs, you know. Yeah, I mean one of the common elements that you think can be found in most black cultures or households, you know, growing up black.
Speaker 2: I think it's the whole listen to your elders. Respect the elders at all costs.
Speaker 1: It's all costs, even if they're wrong, even if if even this wasn't the e pedophile, We're not all got to like work our way around him in the family. Just stay away from that, stay away from him.
Speaker 2: I'm like, maybe he shouldn't be here exposed, YEA like to leave us be definitely, I think that respect elements. I think that not being able to be yourself just like having a piece of you hidden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, yeah. Do you also think us like trying to overachieve? You know, Nigerians are now known I think in the mayor can I and I'm Americans. They're being seen as they're the ones who in the next generation are going to be a lot of doctors and stuff are coming from that background.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's just because we're just also trying to make up, may up for lost time, the pressure, the pressure, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think definitely it's about you. You have to be super educated, you have to be you know, keep learning, keep achievement, achieve, achieve, achieve a chief. I think that's probably universal, having to deal with bearing parts of yourself so as to meet the requirements and demands of your parents and society and the burden of that. Yes, we're talking about this too so many times before.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think, yeah, come back before dark growing up black as well.
Speaker 2: Definitely staying out of don't go to the neighbors. What don't ask for like when you go visit your friends or whatever. Don't ask for like water, juice, don't open the fridge.
Speaker 1: Don't eat it's someone out of the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you see other kids just going to another person's.
Speaker 1: Fridge, you cannot be doing that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, can not be done. Like who are you? Do you think that people undermine are beauty as black people.
Speaker 1: That they under mine?
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe not giving credit where it's you, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's also lack of documentation. Yes, so see people call like what are the bow Derek braids? Which were where Kim then said she got an inspiration for corn Rows because I think she was bo Derek was on like a Bond movie in the sixties and she was a Bond girl, one of the one of the quintessential Bond girls. Probably have seen her. And then she had like beads coming out of the water ocean and I think Helen Barry recreated her scene. And it's like that where it's like, because we have lack of documentation, it's easier to it's easier to feel in spir yes, and they're not credit. Yes, you see it on TikTok all the time. I think they had what the girl who everyone knows on TikTok the I forgot name now and she went on Jimmy Fallon and she did all the dances and they were like, no, Jimmy Fallon, these are not she didn't come up. These are trends that are on TikTok and you need to actually call the original people that were predominantly African American. And it's like that where it's like, because we don't document our staff, it's open season, and then putting responsibility on the other person to do their research and then you know, credit. But we also need to be a bit more like protective. I guess yes about it, which I guess we're learning now. We're becoming more and more like, okay, what's in this for me, which hasn't typically been the way we've approached things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so right, that thing of talent. I was talking about my grandma telling stories to us, you know, yeah, but never writing. She never wrote down like this is the story of Tunagulo or what was the other one? I forget the story, but like it's all I'd have to ask my mom and she's, you know, we don't document, and I remember, you know, we've spoken about family trees and me saying okay, I think we need to put together family tree. But otherwise you're just like living like I don't know what my great grand great great grandparents parent was, who it was, what they did, So yeah, not documenting enough for sure.
Speaker 1: Do you think we ourselves under mine our own blackness as black people?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think it is by virtue of wanting to be accepted, because sometimes our blackness is a bit too strange or so wanting to assimilate, so then we sometimes shun our blackness trying to be more closer to what Yes, exactly, and I think too we don't appreciate the beauty of what we do. We speak a lot about the creative industry in Zababwe and for example, the sculptors who sell their works on the side of the road and how people don't really appreciate it's not really in a lot of museums or galleries. Yeah yeah, yeah, But had we been European, you know, we would document, we would you know, value it be priceless things like that. But then it's like, oh, the creative industry doesn't it's not an industry. It doesn't work, you know.
Speaker 1: It's not over exposure of talent though, like you know, in your family, if all of you can sing, it's Whitney really gonna, you know, stand out?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Or is it like you know, when you get like the Braxton family or Jackson family and all of them sing. Do you think it comes from that? Where do you think it comes from us trying to? So?
Speaker 2: I mean you were joking about, Oh I would sing? If you know Rumby, why don't you sing? But it's like I feel like everyone can sing, right, So I think there's an element of that for sure. But I also think of it being so common again, I guess commonplace. So then it's like there's no real value, but also as valuing professions or things that's seen esteemed in some degree but not necessarily a core part of who we are, Okay, I see. And so it's a catch twenty two. And I think sometimes that all white is right and black is whack. You can hear rhymes element of it all and self and self hate, like self hate is a part of it due to many reasons which we've spoken about.
Speaker 1: We tied it all back to colonialism. Don't we somehow find our way? It's therefore back.
Speaker 2: Pay reparations, reparations, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think because for so long we're told we're not good enough. Yes, that now we almost believe it into it. Yeah, and then if you I mean, one of the things I love about going to South Africa is seeing black people on billboards. Oh yeah, because it's such a and we talked about in our privilege episode. We didn't really talk about that, like seeing ourselves everywhere as a privilege, yes or not? Right, And when you live in a country like this where it's like they're proudly Australian, but that's also proudly one version of Australian. I mean, there's First Nations people here too. They should be on billboards just as much, but it's that they catering to a certain demographic, certain market. And then it becomes okay, where's your people want to have blonde hair, they want to have like contacts in because they you know, they want to align themselves with whiteness, because that's what they see and that's what's being perceived. As you know, in my ideal world, if I had to create a world and want everyone to be seen equally, and thus the world is mixed, yeah, you know, everyone sees everyone, everyone sees everything. Yeah, but like in this scenario where it's like you have to be a certain body shape, certain to look a certain hair color, eye color. Then it becomes if you're not that, you're either going to resent it or you're going to try and become met There's only two options for you.
Speaker 2: Right, But when your hips ain't fitting and then jeans, girl, what you're gonna do? We're leggings. Would you ever consider or want to be anything but black, even just for a day.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, it's quite sad that I've actually stopped to answer that, right, Yeah, I just meant to be, oh well, love being black. I think I would want to be a white guy named Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but just around with that energy so people aren't judging, respect, respect my name as soon as how white guy and still get like excellent results. That's what I really think.
Speaker 1: That's what I would love to experience. Just how does it feel like? Because if I'm too confident, I'm bitchy. Yeah, if I'm too quiet, I'm meek, I don't know anything, or I'm dumb. If I'm too like everything, I'm too And if you move all those twos and you soften yourself up, who are you? You've lost that quirk that makes you that person.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So sometimes I'm like, what does it feel to be average? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I still have the cornfeet.
Speaker 1: I still have people be like, who are talented? Come on, that's I'm just talking about the general Joe who can still somebody you know, revered or think of himself as I forgot.
Speaker 2: It, I got it, I'm the ish. Yeah, what do you think? I definitely just one day. I'm not forever, because I also like my rhythm and you know, I like my hair. There's a lot I like about myself. I like my hair, like you know, But just to be like, wow, how the other whatever? Fifty percent said.
Speaker 1: Tying it back to the Bobby movie when Ken left Barbie Land and it's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, life like this, It's good. Good. I'd love to experience that for a day. But then I think, like we offer so much, And I think part of the journey of life is to embrace all of you and to love being you, because there's no point wishing to be what you're not. Yeah, because you're denying a part of yourself. So I think I've worked too hard to embrace myself and appreciate myself to just be like, oh, yeah, I take it.
Speaker 1: You know, I think I would only like it in spaces where decisions have to be made. Yes. So like you know, when you saw Beyonce on the Renaissance movie spoiler a lot, but she pretty much wants certain lighting or certain fish eye camera. Yeah, and they're like, you don't have you don't have it. You know, that's the widest we've got yet. I used Google and obviously don't want to Beyonce. So you know, there is access to money, there's access to It's not like they can turn around and say, oh, you can't afford it. Yes, we decided for you know. Then they're like, oh, yeah, it is there. Like usually their response was oh yeah, So either they're trying to fuller it and make it seem more too lazy. They assumed she didn't know what she was talking about. But whatever the situation was made me think had that conversation happened with the assistant assistant assistant assistant of the director, who's a white guy, then it would have been fine. You know, even if it was just someone who has no experience, they would have been like, oh, he knows what you're talking about. But it was just Beyonce and it's still making a question.
Speaker 2: When I saw that, I was like, it's late for me. What a good luck?
Speaker 1: So I think I would love it when it's like decision making time, because then the respect would be there, the being able to just say what I want to say in mind and not be judged yes.
Speaker 2: Or definitely accused or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah? Should I keep quiet or should I push in this space and then keep quiet on that one?
Speaker 2: I can't push on every angle again, bringing back to succession, just because I've been that dad whatever it was the name logan, Oh my gosh, Like he feels like he deserves the world and to have his cake eat it too and then yours and nobody can tell him nothing. And that's kind of I'm about bad life just for a day, because I think you also need to be nice, just to be nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it about blackness that you feel then intimidates other races? If there is?
Speaker 2: I think we have that source cuf flavor, we have that thing that she can't put your finger on. It's the X factor that it thing. So it's like, how come you get to have that and I don't? And that's why they try to emulate us Maley cyrus.
Speaker 1: That you're talking to someone specific.
Speaker 2: So that's why they try to emulate or to be it, because it's like but they do it, but they still can't do it, like how we do? You know what I mean? And I think that's why people struggle to embrace and I think, yeah, for fear of being what's the word not washed out, but like being made redundant?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, again, you have to keep yourself relevant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that we've been able to stay relevant and you know, push boundaries in spite of all the oppression.
Speaker 1: If we were allowed to be our full self Yoko your.
Speaker 2: World watch it. I don't think they would have been able to handle it.
Speaker 1: But don't you think and this is plain Devil's advocate that they could, you know, especially like let's say, for example, white people can think the same thing about us trying to emulate them, you know, the wearing of context to have different color eyes. Okay, but a problematic my waves sammaring a weave today like that type of vibe that okay, but then if you're so proud, why can't you just because you guys didn't let us sorry, Yeah, exactly, if I wear my AFRO at work, it'll be condeemed, it'd be deem unprofessional. Yes, so because you do that, then I'm forced.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, you guys said it a lie that we are made to not fully embrace all of us. Sorry, I'm not going to give them that.
Speaker 1: I like, no, you tried, but no, I think the loudness is intimidating. We're typically like we spoke about going back to our first episode of the special, how you think you're an intro of it? And I said, if I didn't know you, I would probably think, oh my gosh, it's very loud, it's confident. So those things can be seen I think by other races to be intimidating, you know, like we don't know. We also don't respect space because our culture doesn't respect.
Speaker 2: Space online, especially bubwins. We take over and I'm like relaxed at of thing is like people marrying due to different cultures. They expect you to just adopt the Zimbabwean culture. I had to do fifty five to remind me, like, there's a whole other person with a whole other culture.
Speaker 1: Can we respect just assume yours is the one to be revered and followed too, confy.
Speaker 2: So now we're too confy, even in the oppression where too CONFI imagine if we were up a last time, you know, it's too much. I feel like calm down. Like Rama said, what would you say to a young black person trying to find the beauty in their blackness in the madness of our world? What would you say?
Speaker 1: I would say, don't compare yourself. There's no other you. Yeah, like, I think that's quite important to you. Want to fit in, of course, but don't fit into the point where it's like you're not you. Yeah, Celebrate those parts of you. Educate those parts of you. You know, sometimes people just shun or seem like they're not interest because they don't know. We're all waiting to be exposed to things. I know. When I first moved to Australia, Asian culture was a whole big exposure for me as well, because at home was just everyone's Asian Chinese. You know, it is Chinese, Like, no, there's this whole continent that's not just so I think, like it took a lot of education for me, took a lot of interest, took a lot of for me to be like to peel away and understand the culture, and I think a lot of times people just look at its surface level. Yes, and I think I'll say advice to people who feel misunderstood and sometimes maybe stop it sucks. You have to be always in an education but when you are a minority, obviously some part of you might always have to stay in that learning or educating space, just so that people when they interact with you can walk away better for it. They understand the nuances within blackness. Whereas if you just do everything to fit in and lose yourself, you're not benefiting what got you there to begin with.
Speaker 2: True, and you also have to be the bigger person, which is like her saying learning It's like why can't people learn about me? But it's just unfortunately the way the world is wired. But also learning, think of learning for your benefit as a man that has said, I think also finding your community that helps you believe in and celebrate who you are, especially when you are a minority or away from home, or find a community even who you follow on social media. Find community that feeds you to feel like, okay, I see myself. That's how you talk about representations. So kids of today, gen Zas, you're so lucky to grow up in a world where you can see people who look like you in so many spaces. When we grew up, we had magazines and never it's just like it was whitewashed.
Speaker 1: That's why Naomi Cumbll is like a mother because we're like even people tell stories about her being a devout better Saomi untouchable because she was the first supermodel we saw on ad campaign.
Speaker 2: Worldwide exactly, so in dark skin exactly. But now you can really curate your feed to feed you and encourage you. Yeah, and you know it helps you also develop a level of like, Okay, I'm not the only one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think truly your difference is something to celebrate because in a way you can bring to the table something people don't have that's special. Yeah, it is, it is, Yeah, it definitely is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What do you want the world to know or change their predudices about blackness?
Speaker 2: I would love the world not to be so afraid of it. It's not contagious. You're not gonna touch me and get black. I don't know, there's no other way to put it. It's it's And one thing I really want the world to know is we are just human, like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that part.
Speaker 2: We're just we feel the same. We cry like you, we're scared like you. We we're happy like you. We literally how you feel.
Speaker 1: We have the same.
Speaker 2: We're not We're not an animal. We're not like monkeys. We're not. It's just we're just humans, just like you, with the exact same emotions, feelings, and we're just asking for a room to be alive and just respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, now if I agree with you, co sign. And I also think I would just add on to say that we're not here for other people's entertainment. Say, I hate it when people are like, oh my gosh, you got some Yeah, go girl, and it's like stop, like teach me how to tour it. That's African American. I'm not even African American. I don't speak like that. And even if I do this, my choice, like it's just don't walk around assuming you know a lot and then putting those assumptions onto me. Blackness is very nuanced. You first nations, black person, me, African, African American, you know, Latina, all these different we're all the same way. You can assume someone from Finland and someone from Australia might not be same for same. It's the same way we operate too. So I think sometimes it's like you're black and it's like one one color one, whereas we know in whiteness or even sometimes even in Asian culture, you give space for different versions. And I would like to see that more. I think, not just painted with the one rush rush.
Speaker 2: You can get a black person who loves rock music and hates R and B. You can get someone. There's just so many varieties. And you know, as we always say, Africa is not a country. Yell, it's not the same.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Just because you met doesn't mean I know them, or you know a Kenyon doesn't mean I know, Like yeah, definitely that one's educate yourself. I think the basis of our podcast is we like education, Edie. The end of the day, it's laid and educations really truly, madly, deeply do Okay, But yeah, I hope you enjoy this. I think I just yeah, celebrate us and you know who we are. Even though I feel like we do a lot of the times call ourselves out, people out for the things we do, we also love it too crazy to be black, to be who we are. Crazy though, when we're in high school, we didn't really fox with ourselves.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of our culture that we need, we need therapy over those high school we were actually found that when I was in high school predominantly white school, that I that I learned how to operate and I use those same skills now that I'm in Australia. But the the like handleff with that was there. Now, I don't know how to operate in my own space, you know, And I think that's what I've also started learning, like how to be around my own people as well. It's great to have exposure, but not to the point where you strips you of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and learning to keep quiet. I used to struggle. I to be like oh hell, and my family said what now what Sometimes you just need to be like sure, okay and not do it. I don't know. It's really like someone's just like, yeah, whatever, you know, but it's true, it's true, It's very true.
Speaker 1: What have you loved about this special room?
Speaker 2: Be being here when you yeah, like in life in the flesh, I think just seeing us what we could be if we weren't long distance. It's always like you know, a double edged sword, like the basis of this podcast, which is our friendship, which is being long distance, so you get a taste of like, oh, what life would be like if we were closer, But definitely grateful to have this, to have it in this setup, the team helping us, you know, who have been so lovely. I think, yeah, it's just been like such a special moment. As I said, it's something I'd love to tell my future kids, God willing that we managed to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a special moment in time. Yeah, and for you have love that we've taken time to do this and elevated as Yeah, because we're in a studio, child, let me come out.
Speaker 2: It's different from.
Speaker 1: Our laptop on zoom, like, it's a different und.
Speaker 2: We go back. Guys, please don't hit us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I want to.
Speaker 2: Go back to a little bit little people.
Speaker 1: This is a special that's why, because it's special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but don't hit on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to get on your zoom literally, but like, yeah, I think it's just that we did acknowledge that, okay, and we need to do something a bit special for our listeners, for ourselves, for ourselves, for the culture, as we're saying. So I really really appreciate you being on board with us, our listeners and be coming on board and plane literally to fly into Melbourne. It's been such a treasure having you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you and thanks for having me Melbusie. But you know, in my head just remake a room bis. Yeah but no, thank you so much. We hope you've enjoyed this little treat.
Speaker 1: Rate us refuge all.
Speaker 2: The things like and subside, follow us all the things as we have to say. And yeah, thanks am for having a treatise.
Speaker 1: Too many more bom bom bom, boom boom
Speaker 2: By everybody.