Speaker 1: Podcast Unite our Voices.
Speaker 2: This podcast is brought to you by on Track Studio. Welcome to Yannier, the podcast that showcases First Nations stories and conversations to help us learn and unlearn Australia's history to work towards a better future. I'm your host, proud barber woman and founder of Black Waddel Coaching and Consulting, Caroline cow. We acknowledge the Rundery people and elders where this podcast is taped, but we also acknowledge the lands that you are listening in from today. It always was and always will be unseated Aboriginal and tourist Red Islander Land. Hey you mob, We just want to say a huge, heartfelt thank you for continuing to join us here at Yarning Up. You know, each and every fortnight we have the incredible privilege of sitting down and hearing from black fellows right across so called Australia. You know, we have beautiful, candid, heartfelt, juicy yarns. We get to learn about theirs and their family stories. And to each and every guest who has joined us, we say thank you, thank you so much. If you're vibing the show and you want to help us continue to elevate Black people and black stories our medicine. Then please rate and review, you know, tell your friends, tell your arnies, tell your uncles, and help us continue to yes, spread spread the joy and the love and these incredible Black people and Black stories. We're putting in a content warning for today's episode, You Mob. This episode is an important one. I had the privilege of sitting down with Commissioner Travis Lovett at the Yarook Justice Commission, which is the first formal truth telling process which is happening into the historical and ongoing injustices experienced by First Nations people. It's happening here in Victoria, and I just want you to consider, you know, how resource your feeling when you're listening to today's episode. It discusses sensitive topics that some people might find distressing, So, you know, don't be ashamed and asking for help. You Mob, one three yarn can be contacted our friends one three Yan. I have used them myself before. Their number is one three nine, two seven six and they're available twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: All love you, Mob, Thanks for being here. I'm just so grateful to have here.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 2: Mara Gundi Jamara Traditional owner Travis Love it sitting down with me today, So welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Yanni.
Speaker 4: Out deadlely and thanks for the opportunity to be on Yan and up. It's really great. And I've been able to listen into some of the other mob that you've had on the show as well, so you know, it's also a privilege for me to be able to come on here and be in the presence of black excellence as well. Two way here, we.
Speaker 2: Really like to start to get to know a bit more about you before we sort of start talking about this process.
Speaker 1: So can you tell us a little bit about you and your mob.
Speaker 4: Well as a customer people as well. And I know you've already done this, but I'll do it my way or old people's old people's way here, which is in language. So lula of my luck, good luck Lyny Travis Love, Kenamara Jamara meeting Lindyaan Cook on Canada, Jubin meeting what and ma meeting called in meeting Nia kabanju Wang. Don't book a bit of beaudity meeting that geng meeting nag me and more so, just acknowledged country and pay my respects to the Injuri people of the call and nation. I also pay my respects to Bundle the Spirit Creator and also Wa the Crow. It's really important that we also bring war in because that's the laws, customs and traditions, and we've got to adhere to those, particularly as visitors on their country. And I said, as well, as you introduced me as a proud good and Jamara and Karatmarra man so originally as what now known as Lake Conda is where my people stem from as well. So I'm really proud of my good Jamara connections and in particular being a proud karat Mara good Jamara Feller. But yeah, grew up in Fitzroy to start with. So I have the luxury of being one of twenty eight kids and I'll say that again twenty eight, So come from a massive family and I'm really proud of that, and really proud of all my brothers and sisters and their contributions to our existence and carrying on the family name as well. But yeah, grew up in Fitzroy to start within the high rise flats. So it's quite interesting that we're inquiring in the housing, but I grew up in housing Commission housing as many of the mob did then, particularly being relocated off missions and so forth, and moved away from country, and then we moved out to Preston. I grew up at a little bit later when I was about six or seven, moved out to Preston there and grew up out that way. So that was always really fond memories about being around family, but also community as well as every other mob. I think, you know, you grow up and there's always thousands of people around your house and so forth as well. So good times, good last but also challenging times around the struggles too for our people as well and the resistance, but also the fight the continual fight for advocacy around land rights and water rights and our people's human rights to be respected as well. Worked, I guess in so many of the Cury ollg so I've worked that's coming through before sort of moving into the Caury Courts where I was the manager of Career Courts, but started off as a career court officer there. So just working in I guess, in and out of community, but also in government to really learn the ways of government and how government work and operate as well. And also you know, I guess in more sort of contemporary times as well. She's talking like I'm a real old fellow, I'm only forty one, but also having you know, beauty about having two children, being married to my wife and nada, but also two beautiful children, my daughter Hunter who's ten, real strong care of Margot tomorrow woman coming through and she let everyone know that too, which is really deadly. And also my son who's a duke love At another real warrior coming through as well, you know, really proud of them, and also the work that they enable me to do. And I think family is really important. We tend to forget the ones that really back us in and enable us. You know a lot of people say Jiju everywhere, and yeah, I am everywhere. But it's also having the support of family and children who make their sacrifices to enable me to be able to be across the state, yarn and talk in the mob, you know, whether it be having cups of teas or whether it be information sessions or around tables all the hearings that I get a lot of public profile as well, so you know, it's really important that we always shout out family as well.
Speaker 2: Oh how beautiful, I mean it's so lovely to hear firstly just you to kick off this gun in language, and how special that is.
Speaker 1: It's not surprising, you know, you have.
Speaker 2: Worked so extensively in supporting the rights of mobs across cultural heritage in your working governments.
Speaker 1: But I guess also hearing your family life and where.
Speaker 2: You come from, and how all of these cumulative and lived and family and cultural and community experiences sort of led to you and shaped you to playing this role. I too, was also a kid of the Commission Housing. I also some time impresston at Stoke Street there, so I know that feeling of being surrounded by mob, but then also here seeing the struggle and I guess holding those multiple troops that we all hold as blackfellows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also I think it's important, you know, another reason why I speak in languages also to send messages to our old people who are no longer with us upstairs there. You know, I'm just saying, hey, we got you, we got you just down here, and yes there's a lot of traumatic things still happening to our people, but we've got user of sending your messages that you know, you continue fight, struggle, resistance and you'll tend to know that. I won't use the word resilience. I stop saying that I've had a few years back, because I feel that resilience for our people, we just get lumped in this resilient basket where things can just keep happening to us. So I don't use that word anymore. I use resistance as well, because I think it's really important. But yeah, sending their messages but also sending messages to community and our people as well. You know, it's really hard work to reclaim your language, and it's important that you know, we share that and that people can engage with it. We're all born with it. We're all born with it inside. At the right time, we just release it, and we've got to do a bit of work to release it. But still we're all born with it. And I think that's really important as well, and important that my children speak in language, which they do at home, but also at school as well. You know, when you see me talking in Langue, which my children are also doing it in school every day, which is absolutely fantastic and powerful for them. And also, you know, growing up away from country, it also helps further connect them to country. Their ancestors support part of identity.
Speaker 2: So right, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: You know, your rook is the Wamba Wamber word for truth, and it's the first of its kind formal truth talent, and it was established I guess during the push for Treaty during the First People's Assembly. At the time, I was working at a Victorian Treaty Advancement Commission, and we really recognize that he had justice, truth and healing. They really have to go hand in hand, and so I'd really love to just sort of start there for people who aren't plugged in and aren't familiar with the work or the mandate I guess of what your rook is being set out to do.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if you.
Speaker 2: Could tell us about the role and what the Commission's key objectives are through this truth telling process.
Speaker 4: You know, and it's really important as we've done, you know, acknowledging yourself the work you did, but also Annie Jill as well as our first Treaty Advancing Commissioner as well, and I know you did a power of work to support her. So recognizing your contributions to our people's continued achievements there as well. We are a formal truth telling Commission, and there's been a few of these set up around the world. But the point of difference for us is we actually have Royal Commission powers. And I think that's really important point is that when Yuruk was first set up, community were very strongly kind of wording that didn't really want a Royal Commission. We'd had plenty of them and they hadn't really done much for our people. So it was decided that we would have a truth taling Commission ultimately with Royal Commission powers. And the Royal Commission powers really give you power and authority to compel witnesses or to compel evidence should it be required from government, and that's a really important point of difference. But we are a truth telling Commission going around the state and investigating the ongoing systemic injustices since seventeen eighty eight Owen colonization really started and it has impacted our people. Our job is to also look at and establish the official public record of Victoria, and it's really important for people listening in whether they're mob or whether they're not. But we are not documenting aboriginal truths here. We are documenting the true history of Victoria. Our people have been saying this for two hundred plus years about the ongoing impacts and our fight struggle and resistance around government policy and what they've done and what they continue to do.
Speaker 1: This is not a.
Speaker 4: Historical matter that we're investigating. We investigating contemporary issues, which is pretty much up until today. So that's really important in the game to establish an official public record to document the true history of what has happened to our people since colonization. Our mob player significant part in documenting their truths and coming forward and we encourage always people to come forward and share their lived experience and their truths with us as the truth telling process. There's many different sort of facts to that around putting it on the public record what's happened. But also you mentioned a keyword earlier around on the pathway to healing, and it adds to healing around them being able to come and share their story knowing as well that our people are listening. Also, four out of the five commissioners who sit on this commissioner blackfellows or as mob. That's really important as well. And we do have a former Federal Court judge also who is a commissioner as well. But having mob leading this process and shaping this process as well, but really trying to not retraumatize people and that's what we work really hard to do. We also have social emotional wellbeing experts who work within our commission, but also counsel is available for people who also come and share their truths, alongside legal assistance to help them with any kind of legal matters aligned to them coming in submitting their lived experience and their truths as well. But we're also are encouraging non Aboriginal people to come forward and share their truths as well. And I'm not too sure a few viewers, but I'd like to direct them to our website to check out Susannah Henty evidence that was incredibly powerful for her to come forward and share her family story around their role in colination and the impacts that her family has had on the Good Jamara people in particular around you know in Portland all country really not just in Portland, but you know that's kind of you know, the main feature of land based where we name these things and from a colonial port of view, but Kilgar Country close to that being Kilgar a country if we're talking our mobs terms as well, is you know the massacre that happened there as well, which is, you know, absolutely terrible, and our people have been saying this for two hundred years, and it was just, you know, for the first time a non average person had come forward and shared at our commission, shared the history of what her family had done to our people.
Speaker 2: I mean, will be popping all of your website and videos in our show notes, but I must say that hearing from a direct descendant of a settler colonizer in that manner was really compelling.
Speaker 3: In sins of cornialism have not been his, they have not been redeemed. Marino Downs should be returned. I don't want to see a town called Handy. I don't want to see handy monuments. I was told by my high school teacher that we were pioneers. This is the rhetoric that is used. There have been five generations of Handy family members who have not said anything, and I don't want to be part of the sixth generation who doesn't see anything.
Speaker 5: The historical exclusion from basic health care continues to haunt Aboriginal communities, leaving jury marks on our health outcomes. Intergenerational wealth disparities further exacerbate the divide.
Speaker 4: How much of the eighty three billion dollar revenue has been distributed directly to First nations and the answer to that question, The answer is zero. Directly water corporations collect revenue and they don't report against that though nor are they required to, so the entwer is zero.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: Gippsland Anglicans lament that our colonial history includes atrocities committed against First peoples, and that some of those involved in these henous but no longer unspeakable acts are likely to have identified with the Church of England. The Anglican Church in Gippsland has been complicit in and has benefited from, the dispossession and other harms caused by Victoria's colonization, predicated in part on the theologically repugnant and now repudiated doctrine of discovery, and it's outworking in the morally bankrupt ideology of Terrannalius.
Speaker 7: I was born in nineteen sixty four, which meant that I was assured of a right to vote in adulthood, unlike Aboriginal adults, and that my life expectancy would be far greater than that of Aboriginal children of the same age, and that my pathway to an education was well lit and clear because I had good, secure housing and family connections, unlike that of many Aboriginal children of similar age.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's it's interesting to hear as becoming a care because it was never like that. It was kind of just like like looking after family, you know.
Speaker 9: But I was yeah, twenty one at the time where yeah, Tim Johnny needed me and needed a care in that chapter of her journey, and she was around thirteen years old with beautiful but challenging because of there was like these two contradicting ways of caring for our young ones, and I think like having that the pressure at times from the child protection system to be a quote definition of a kinship care versus me just naturally caring for her as her older cousin.
Speaker 2: For anyone who is listening, you know, we have a lot of overseas listeners. And as Commissioner love It has said, was established in twenty twenty one and the cultural holistic sort of healing element of this is really special for anyone who has had the privilege of sitting in that space.
Speaker 1: Whilst it has the mandate of a.
Speaker 2: Royal commission, it is really grounded in Aboriginal petty godgy and knowledge and wisdom and truths.
Speaker 1: As well in the space and surrounding it, to allow.
Speaker 2: People to participate and feel comfortable in doing so. And so with that in mind, you know, the objectives is, as you say, to establish a public record for first people's experiences, but also documenting an official document of the truth here in Victoria. According to Anta, truth taling processes have been used globally as transitional justice mechanisms in post conflict and colonized countries. Overall, a truth telling processor's aim is to essentially reconcile the relationship between survivors of state sponsored violence, the state and the general public and to facilitate a shared understanding that might promote healing. And this can hold accountable those who carried out the violence or oppression and challenge ongoing harmful practices. You know, there are many examples internationally with countries like South Africa and Canada and now more recently here in so called Australia. Something I wanted to ask around that is, you know, in Australia we have this really comfortable amnesia about ourselves. There's such a dissonance between what's happened in the last two hundred and thirty six years. It's almost like this dystopia that people have acquired land and power and resources and privilege, both financial means, social cachet, just.
Speaker 1: In a vacuum.
Speaker 2: And so you know, in Australia we have participated since the early nineties in a myriad of royal commissions from the Royal Death and Custody bring them Home. We've had a failed referendum here. What's different about this process and what makes us think that Australia is finally ready to I guess listen and accept that there are other truths here that we existed long before modern governments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, it's a really great question. I've been reflecting on this and pretty deeply, particularly since the referendum, and I mean even just hearing a lot of the evidence that we hear, you know, and you said earlier about you know this. Also part of the mandate is to develop a shared understanding as we document the true history, and a lot of people don't know of the role that massacres happened. We had our premier come in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and shared with us that she'd grown up on jajo around country pretty much most of her life and didn't know that not far from where she lived there was massacre sites. I think that, you know, really just trying to continually educate people, and I know that's a lot of heavy lifting that our people have done for two hundred years. We've been saying this stuff for a long period of time, so making sure that we, you know, really are sharing the truths, but also making sure that public are aware of what's happened. Then the Aboriginal Protection Bill was established, and a lot of people don't know that. So the Protection Board was established to protect us. So called protect us because we need to protecting from people who were massacring us. And then we will round it up onto churches and missions and further managed even further again, so this continual impounding of everyone else being able to generate wealth around us and be able to live and work and go about their everyday lives. Where we had to seek approval. We've had evidence before us where aunties have written to the minission manager to say that they've saved up enough money to buy property, to write to the mission manager to say, hey, will you allow us to leave the mission to be able to purchase the property. We've been made aware that this property is to say we have the funds, we don't need any extra support apart from you, to say that you release us from the mission. It absolutely breaks your heart to hear this. And this is not, you know, two hundred years ago. This is in the last fifty years. You know, sixty seven people didn't realize that we didn't have any voting rights as a people. But what does give me confidence is we do have the First People's Assembly of Victoria. And I've got to be really careful when I articulate this, because our people have been advocating really hard for the Bringing Them Home and Report recommendations and also the Royal Commission into Abigal dis and Custody recommendations. So what I'm about to say is definitely not to take away from the sheer fight, advocacy and resistance that our people and our organizations, our echoes are who have worked really hard to continue to maintain a strong voice to government about our expectations as a people and them adhering to those expectations. But I feel more confident that we have a First People's Assembly of Victoria, and also part of our mandate is to provide recommendations that go to the negotiations of treaty. So we make recommendations to the First People's Assembly and the Victorian government and hopefully they will pick these recommendations up and negotiate them through treaty as well. So what the point of difference here is we have a body that we've elected as mob for the first time that we've elected our people to represent us in those negotiations, and they will keep the pressure on government through the those negotiations that are yet to commence. So our recommendations that we put back to government and the Assembly can be implemented as well, and where they haven't been I guess been able to negotiate those through, we still have a body and a number of people that we have elected to continue to advocate for those recommendations to be implanted alongside to complement to not take over, but to complement our Aboriginal community controlled sector as well. So I think that that's something that you know, we can't really diminish because our people have fought really hard for those processes and we need to mobilize and capitalize on these processes that are available to us as well. So that's probably a point of difference. Again, just to reiterate, I don't want to take away from the years and years of struggle and fight, and we've lost and elders, and we're continually losing elders. We lost one even just last week. So just you know, we've got to keep that in our minds and keep that in our hearts around Hey, we got work to do. But also we're optimistic. Our people won't give up. We ain't go and nowhere, no matter what they've done to us. Our people are optimistic, We are passionate, We are committed to see this through, and we will make sure that our children and their children and six generations children will be able to start to inherit the wealth that they rightfully so deserve.
Speaker 1: Really really appreciate you sort of.
Speaker 2: Guiding us to that journey and reminding us sometimes of that. I think sometimes he as black fellows in a really violent colony, it can be quite defeating at times. And I think we've all been a little bit of a repair period right now, particularly heightened by what's happening around global movement and liberation of indigenous people against settler colonialism more broadly, And I think you're writing just reminding us that so many of our people have fought so hard in these reforms, and you know, not to mention the thousands upon thousands of black fellows who have generously and passionately shared their lived and families lived experiences for the betterment of this change. And we really can't lose sight of this really important opportunity. So thanks for that beautiful reminder.
Speaker 4: And I think as well, it's a really important point that you also put out there as well, is that everyone's truth is important, everyone's contribution is important, you know, and I think that that's something that you know, I draw up on all the time. You know, it's not only a draw inspiration from my family, but just you know, meeting with mob who come in and who share their truths. You know, it's inspiring, but it's also you know, it drives you to want to see change and to expect to see change, not just one we have expectations as a people, which is also why we want to continue the fight to fight and the referendum hurt. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blow over and diminish that key part that really hurt. You know, Australia really told us as a people, you know, where we belong and where we sit. Again, not the first time they've done that, but again, so you know, we're dusting ourselves off, and we have dusted ourselves on, and we will show our children what we do best to which is advocate and activate our rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It really did hurt, and many of us are still definitely grappling with where to next. And I know myself, I've been very much just diverting my interest into this process while still supporting community and our averageal organizations. But you know, I think there's just there's a real opportunity here for us to, as you say, even just to hear stories and gather this information and to have it for the first time archive, but you know, to really challenge the status quo about what existed and what continues to exist here.
Speaker 4: And also as well, I think one of the things that I'd like to highlight as well is that through the recent Land Injustice hearings, you know, we highlighted the billions and billions of dollars and how wealthy the state of Victoria is and how people have seen hardly a cent of that. In twenty one, twenty two financial year, it was over eight billion dollars in revenue generated from water alone. You know, since eighteen fifty one, two hundred and eighty six billion dollars has been extracted from the land from gold, and the mob have seen zero I'll repeat that, zero dollars from that wealth that's being created. You know. I mean, I can keep going on about statistics and stuff, you know, but at the end of the day, there was billions of dollars and there was also you know, forestry and grazing licenses and things where our people have been shut out of the system. But also when we'd asked the minister about why our people have been shut out of the system or didn't receive the benefits from a cultural rights point of view, and the minister said, and it's hard for these ministers too to come forward and be able to say some of the stuff that the decisions that were not even their decision at that point in time. But to reiterate, the minister set Aboriginal people, traditional owners did not meet the threshold because the threshold was set, so they could not meet the threshold. That's their words, not our people's words. So this is the importance of truth telling, truth sharing and we encourage you know, people to come forward, but also we want to encourage all people to listen in our people particularly but also non Aboriginal people, whether in Australia or across the world. You know, we are questioning you know, the people like the Premier and the Deputy Premier and all ministers responsible for their portfolios that oversee policies against our people, which is every minister who is in government at that particular point in time. There's so much wealth. We live in a wealthy state and our people, you know, through no fault of their own, have fought really hard for native title, traditional owner settlement agreement, the registered Abriiginal party status. But also you know, our echos, our organizations, you know, they have continually told us that they are so under resourced that they are expected to provide holistic services to help you know, people and families, but they're only funded for one kind of micro point and then they're also overburdened. We heard for one traditional owner group where they had fifty one contracts with the same department funding contracts with the same department. How can they not you know, in twenty twenty four be streamlining these funding agreements, so it reduces the reporting burden. And some of these organizations have fifteen to twenty people, you know, I mean, how's how's fifteen to twenty people are going to be able to keep up with fifty contracts. So anyway, just these things are really important. But this is this is what our people are grappling with every day, and the misconception of that our people don't do right or can't do right. I mean, you know, with what our people have had to endure and continually enduring, it's you know, just incredibly inspiring for us to be able to keep the momentum up as well.
Speaker 2: Will be backhumb right after this short break.
Speaker 1: At the moment where we are in this time.
Speaker 2: You know, I understand that to date there's been five key areas the Commission. I've been really particularly interested in the tile protection system. The criminal justice system went first, that resulted in an interim report, and then there's been Elders truths work on health and land water skies in justices.
Speaker 1: You mentioned before about a couple of people.
Speaker 2: So the Premier, just Into Allen was the first premier to take the YURUK Commission to take up I guess providing evidence Katherine Henty, You know, on a personal level, have there been people's testimonies in the formal hearing process and through all the other mechanisms, so as I understand, people are providing evidence through written submissions, through yarning circles, through round tables, and through the formal hearing process. You know, on a personal note, are there any particular pieces of evidence, like you've just mentioned that you really have stayed with you and have had an impact on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's plenty. I mean, I was fortunate enough to witness a group of mob who shared their truths through dance, didn't need to speak, but just share their truth through dance. And that's just resistance of being able to practice culture. And I think it just brings me back to and just reminding people that we were forbidden, forbidden to speak language, to practice culture, and your rations, irrations would be cut if you were court. And I really like to overstate the point because rations mean very little to start with, and then if you are further on, rations from being able to practice your culture or your court just highlights the inhumane circumstances that our people have had to live through for generations, you know, being able to court to be able to do that so come forward and sharing their truths through dance and being able to practice language as well. We've had some fluent language speakers come forward as well. We'll work really hard to reclaim the language, but a lot of it is personal. You can't learn this in schools and so forth. Susannah Henty's evidence as well, which you know that was unique in the sense because not only was the first time it happened, but also was a proud gun Najamara man whose ancestors were impacted by her ancestors. And continually to the day, you know, the continued show of and display of the monument dedicated to the Anti family throughout my ancestors the country. It's a continual and a visual reminder to today about the lack of recognition of our people as well, even though we fought really hard for UNISESCO World Heritage listing, which the mob really got and yes there was support from government and some key stakeholders there, but that's on the back of our people and our ancestors vision and we can't lose sight of that. Because our ancestors had a vision around sustainability to be able to teach us that ill farming technique, that oldest living aquaculture system in the world. So they had a deep vision that that just was something special. But being able to kick off landing Justice hearings on My Ancestors Country as well or given the first vote there. The Thistle was the name of the boat that the Hinties were on, and being able to kick off yeah, that on on My Ancestors Country was certainly something that will stick with me for the rest of my life. But as I said before, just you know, every day Triz the people, you think you've heard it all, and then someone will come out and you're just like wow or like or you'll get that is this still happening? How is this still happen? It also reinforces your point about, you know, being connected to culture, country and community and what sort of fills the cup up on a continual basis is engaging my own ceremonies that have been passed down to me through my father and his father and so forth as well. So some men ceremony of the stuff there, but also smoking ceremonies, being around mob. You know, as soon as you're walking a room with the mob and stuff, you just smile and I'll have a best laugh, and you might be about to talk about sort of traumatic stuff, but then you just have the best laugh, and then you get through the business, and then you hang back after for that extra cup of tea, that extra caffeine hit, and you do the business and then you you just have a good laugh and you hear from them and be with them about you know, how they are. I remember one particular elder recently who was really unsure, you know, for six months he was un and ran about coming forward to you look and share it his truth. And uncle came in and he was quite itchy and irritated, like just in the body because he had a lot of built up drama that he just needed to get off his chest. And I sit with that uncle for six hours. I sat with that uncle. Bless him. I'll never forget him as well, but six hours. But why highlight his journey is that after that six hours, I saw it about five hours into the session. It was over a couple of days, but into the second session the itching stopped. That's the kind of stuff that drives you, that motivates you, and also as well, I mean, you know, drawing on my skills from working in government. That was one of the things while I went to working government to learn their ways, to understand how they see the world, understand how they see our people, but understand how their systems work. You know, we need our strong advocates on the outside really fighting really hard for change, but we also need deadly strong, black talented people who can not only survive working in government, but also thrive, and they need investment. They need to be able to pathways for their healing as well so they can ultimately thrive as well. Another point of view there as well, is just making sure they're investing in our women as well. They get forgotten about. You know. I do hear a lot in the media and so forth about women's rights and stuff. I'm a very big supporter of that. But then when I look at our women and our women are at the bottom of the bottom, and it's just not right. And now women have human rights and ow women also have cultural rights as well, it breaks my heart. You know, it absolutely breaks my heart to see where our women are at and how you know, men are treating them, you know, and the you know, the constant threat of family violence against our women as well, just you know, really breaks my heart and it's something that I'm really passionate about as well. I've been pretty outspoken on this subject, and I'll continue to be outspoken as well, not for myself to make it about myself, but to make sure that the voices and our women are being respected, heard, appreciated, and ultimately valued.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing some of those experiences, which I imagine you're probably still in this will be in this state of processing a lot of these over becoming months and years to come.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, you know, And I think it's something that you know, it's a societal issue and a men's issue. You know, this is a bloke's issue. It's not a women's issue, you know. And I'm not trying to take away and disempower women's voice around this subject. I've been advocating for a long time, you know, and as time us men step up and start working with other men and calling things out and so forth as well, I think it's really important and they'll only be further exacerbated by we're about to start. Sorry, we already have started our Housing, Education, Health and Economic Prosperity hearings where we've encouraged community members to come forward and share their trues, and we're holding hearings, so I encourage people to engage in those hearings as well. We also have relevance seeing your bureaucrats and also government is responsible for those portfolios before us in the next couple of weeks as well, and we will also be focusing on women but also our family violence as well.
Speaker 1: I want to circle a little bit back to the process if I can.
Speaker 2: You've got twelve months between now June twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five where the final report will be submitted, and I want to talk a little bit around the process, where we are and what's happened. So hearings have been happening for the last twelve months to almost twelve months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your Rook has delivered an interim.
Speaker 2: Report in June twenty twenty two, and then in August twenty twenty three. In the myriad of stuff that was happening with the referendum, you Rook Commission delivered a critical Issues Report and in that report contained forty six key preliminary recommendations and a lot of what has come through. It talks to what we as black fellows inherently know, which she said Australia is a racist colony which has been built on racism, and that we think about systems and policies as these kind of mythical things, but they're really public policy decisions that have been built and based and the decisions have been made because of its proximity to race and power and privilege, and so that the report was quite groundbreaking. And to date we've heard from the Victorian government and they have supported four of the forty six recommendations in full and twenty four in principle, and I think fifteen or so are being considered, and I believe, if my mass is right, three were not considered entirely. I want to ask your thoughts on the government's responses in principle so far. What's quite interesting is there's been lots of evidence that's been provided by ministers. One of the most memorable ones for me was Minister Atalie Hutchins, who is responsible for leading the treaty process in Victorian and kind of quoting the Productivity Commissions report around this inerting government and that there's this good will that government just doesn't understand self determinator, it doesn't understand racism, and so I want to ask you what are your thoughts on the government's responses so far and does that give you confidence that this government is ready to really walk the talk.
Speaker 4: I'm always really clear, I always speak truth you look, and I have an expectation that all those recommendations to be implemented, and I'll continue to tell government that in every public forum that I get the opportunity to do that. As you said, this is hundreds and hundreds of people coming forward and sharing their true is This is not anecdotal evidence of we just felt like putting these recommendations forward. So first and foremost, I want to make that point really clear to people listening in and hopefully some victure and government people are listening in as well. But yeah, that I have an expectation. The commissioners have an expectation the five of us that we back in those recommendations, all forty six of them as well. So I think that's something that will continue to advocate for. But yes, it is pretty underwhelming. It is very underwhelming as a proud Gunjamarafala to hear government come forward and say that they've knocked out three of the recommendations and I kind of put all the rest into still under consideration because we haven't got clarity. I mean, when you get clarity is when we fully endorse or we fully back in. I either four. But us as a commissioner, we still have expectations and will continue to be asking the tough questions of government when they're on the stand. One thing I do really want to reiterate to people listening in that we will be holding accountability hearings later this year. Not many people know about that, but we will be holding accountability hearings where we'll be calling relevant ministers and potentially the Chief Commissioner of Police back to answer questions relating to you. Look for Justice report which made those forty six recommendations well around where they're at on the implementation progress and also what they're doing about making sure that they are working alongside the Assembly to implement the recommendations. And that's why we have the Assembly. It goes to my earlier point around we have an elected body who are also back in and endorsed pretty publicly. They came much strongly to back in our report. So while we are about to start negotiations of treaty with no doubt what. I am confident that those forty six recommendations, alongside the future recommendations that we will provide in the rest of the inquiry that will cover land, skies and waters, health, housing, education, and economic prosperity as well. You know, it is underwhelming, but I also want to encourage people still to come forward and share their truth. It's not wasted again. We are documenting the true history of Victoria. We're documenting and articulating the official public record to develop a shared understanding for people. This is not anecdotal we just cook these up overnight. This is hundreds and hundreds of people coming forward and sharing their truth. This is us going into prisons, you know, throughout the state, talking to prisoners, getting lived experience and understanding. A lot of the evidence not only just comes from community, it comes from government. It comes from the policies and procedures they adhere to. People created the system. The system did not create itself. So people create these systems and people can change these systems. And one of the things we've noticed is it's really hard to change legislation. But at the same time they've always changed legislation to make sure that we are continually shut out of the system, and that we are judged and that we are misrepresented in many different facets. Again, the changes to bail and they knew negatively that that would have an disproportionate impact on our people, and yet they still pushed that through. So, you know, this is really important raise the age. We have an expectation that that gets sorted straight away, not a transitional pathway model. We have the evidence backed up.
Speaker 2: To hear say that, because like, yeah, you're right, it comes down to this good will. But then also yeah, the pace that things need to change and government's ability to accept that these things need to be Some things need to speed up, some things need to slow down, and at all turns and angles, self governance and self determination from mobs need to be centered throughout.
Speaker 1: Is it the view that the both.
Speaker 2: The interim and the final reports that those recommendations that are shaped up will complement the treaty process as we've mentioned, and provide the public record, but ultimately really shape the public policy process.
Speaker 1: Or is it the view that these hearings will.
Speaker 2: Shape how government engages with mob and sets up governance arrangements and public policy broadly. Is there that practical element that government will shift how it does its day to day business based off some of these recommendations.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a really good question, and I think it's actually starting to have an even though it might not be systemic like our people expect. But I think seeing ministers come before the Commission, and I've had many conversations with them during the hearings but also afterwards when standing there, and I can guarantee that every single one of them is said, I have learned so much about the system, but also about you know, how Aboriginal people, aboriginal tytrail, other people have been impacted by our laws and our policies and the way we go about working with them as well. We'll talk about shared understanding. It's also them coming through a process also gets them to understand because I'm sure they're asking questions of well, why didn't blackfellows meet the threshold. I mean you could see the minister quivering when he said that to us, and it's just like, you know, these people are human as well at the end of the day, and yes, they need to be accountable for the systems that they are ultimately implementing, and we don't shy away from that. But so they have also shared about their experiencing coming forward and they're not knowing and stuff. But the challenge is is that when you apologize and you come forward, you go back and you actually make change. And I think that's where the expectations come in, is that yep, you can come forward and you can say okay, well I didn't know. However, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. And we need to see change, you know, we need to see drastic change now. Having the ability to educate you know, not just Victorians but all Australians on the true history and just you know, many people coming forward and just going I didn't know that we can google when there's something wrong with us, you know, we've got a running nose. We might do a quick Google. But when it comes to googling about our people around what's happened and so forth, And this is what we need to encourage people to do. Look for Look to our website. It's pretty accessible where you can click on hearings and see witnesses that have come before. And some of them may be your family, but also some of them you may have heard, or some of them might not have been as well. So but again I stick by that as accountability hearings later in the year to call people back to make sure that they are getting on and implementing the recommendations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for sharing about the accountability hearings and just everything you're doing at this commission process. The thing that I take away from that point is to have a changed kind of consciousness or a change in how we see the world. It really means that we have to integrate this into our practice, into our day to day, into who we are and what country we really want to be. That involves some action as well as this sort of change our consciousness. Where are we at now, So you mentioned you're doing education, health and housing. Now are we at the final stages of the hearing processes. What's the sort of next little journey look like and where can community come and participate and be a part of this if they're not already that's right.
Speaker 4: So we have started last week health, housing, education, and economic prosperity. And that's something that we've only been able to cut through in the last sort of fifteen twenty years around setting up aboriginal businesses and so forth, as well and being able to generate self determination through that lens. So we feel that it's really important as a commission that we inquire into that. Those hearings started last week and we'll be doing them for the next month, so again having senior bureaucrats and the ministers responsible, but also hearing from community as well over that next month period. But we're continually advocating and encouraging people to come forward and share their truths as well. It doesn't matter how important you think they are or how less important. At the end of the day, reach out. We have o truth receivers who will connect with as well to be able to come talk through the process social and emotional well being, to help people through that process. I think that's incredibly important that we don't skip on that, we don't skint on that, because that's really important to be able to help our people through healing as well, pre and post them coming forward and sharing their truths as well. Yeah, so wanting to encourage people to do that, but also legal advice as well around being able to make sure that you've got coverage for some of the things that you need to share and want to share as well. And most of the time you know you're receiving through this process with your own people as well, which is incredibly important and powerful that you don't need to explain those really important things that a lot of non Aboriginal people when they try to work with our people get really wrong as well. So you know, they're open till the end of the year, so are encouraging people to do that. And also we'll be going around the state to talk about some of the things we've heard from the Land Injustice Inquiry as well. But we are developing a report to go back to government and that takes a lot of time because again we don't just cook these things up out of anecdotal and how we feel evidence and so forth. This is actually we've got to deeply look at the evidence that we've received from community importantly, but also government and the witness statements and what they say on the stand as well, and we'll make recommendations to go back to the First People's Assembly of Victoria and government to negotiate through treaty. So that'll take a bit of time because we want to get those recommendations right, as we did in the last report out of the forty six they were right. And also we're thinking about how we look to close out the commission and what are the sort of things that we'll be doing. But primarily it's focusing in on courage people to come forward, share your truths, get in while we can, and also YEA developing the report and the recommendations to go back to government alongside that accountability hearing later in the year. So I watch this space and you know, it's great for people to be able to come on the pathway to a shared future. We're not able to shared future yet, but through treaty and truth telling, we can truly be on a shared future that ultimately enables our people to be self determining that recognizes not only our human rights, but recognizing our culture rights as first peoples under undrip and making sure that people understand that that Aboriginal people do have inherent cultural rights to land, water, that their laws, their customs, their language and traditions. That's a little bit different to human rights, even though it is a form of human rights, but that's something special that we expect those cultural rights to be adhered to alongside our basic human rights around services, health, housing, education, and economic prosperity and so forth as well. Again, thanks for the opportunity to come and yarn up with you. It's always Deadly and appreciate you and the work that you're doing and the voices that you're sharing and the messages that you're putting out there to our people. You know, we're really proud of the work that you're doing. Stay strong and make sure you're looking after yourself. We've got plenty of work to do, and let's get cracking and make sure we make it happen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so so much.
Speaker 2: I really really appreciate you sharing and being on the show today and just all the work you're doing for our communities too, and your families and yeah, mobs who are looking at this process from other parts of this continent, watching the leadership that you're showing and the grace and passion that you bring to this work.
Speaker 1: Rus I really appreciate you. So thank you.
Speaker 4: Tourn Deadly. In my language, we say well look, which means for now, we never say goodbye. We always see each other again, So.
Speaker 2: Well look, thank you so much for listening, you mob. If you are vibing this season of yarning up, then please is head over to Applespotify, or wherever you get your podcasts from. To show us some love, rate and review. Alternatively, you can get in contact and give us some feedback by visiting www. Dot Carolinekow dot com dot au