Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Satasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money the podcast. The Mets finance fun especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we get to get our little team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community. As always, we have Miss jessic Ricci here sharing our favorite money wins from the week. Miss beck Sayed is sitting very pretty today, you are very ready to go, and she's got three surprise broke tips for us. We are also going to be helping to answer our money dilemma, which This week is all about being money shamed by your parents and something that you s lead into our DMS about whether you should trust an experts advice you don't agree with when it comes to selling your house. Who's that real estate agent really work for? Interesting? Anyway, before we get there, guys, how have your weeks been? My wee's been good. Nothing exciting to report except I've got a parking ticket. That's no, you did?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Was that last week while recording the podcast? Yes, it was. Oh my god, Why why are they so on it?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing is I missed it because obviously we're we're recording.
Speaker 1: It's like, well we record till we record.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't even like a big window, and they somehow fucking and got me.
Speaker 1: I would be saying absolutely not. I was not there. Goodbye. Yeah, sorry, I mean it's worth a fight for ninety million dollars as well. Just say something happened. Yeah, give it a crack. Sorry, I was spending too long at seven eleven picking out my favorite sushi. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. How annoying and annoying? Well did you get any parking tickets? I didn't, No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: This way I love it.
Speaker 1: I usually do. Reflect What do you mean you usually do?
Speaker 4: I'm sure, like I like, I go on not long ago, but it's I did try and find it.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard back yet, so fingers quicks. But how many outstanding parking tickets do you have at the moment, honestly, And I know it is quite stresful about it. I don't.
Speaker 4: I have no idea. I don't even know what start.
Speaker 1: I know I have one, and I've left it too late. Yeah, So I went on the website to pay it and then it said I couldn't pay it, which means I've left it too late. Now I'm just waiting for them to reissue it because I know that it's going to have, like, well money, this is the thing, Like, I'm not that good at money, guys.
Speaker 4: If you wait for it to go to Vicarod's, obviously there is a fee, but then you can pay it by installments, so that is always a good option. And you can pay it as long as you pay within ten years apparently, so you can tell me one dollar a month for the rest of your life if you wanted to anyway.
Speaker 1: That is terrible advice, terrible advice. But you know what you got to do, what you've got to do, exactly, But no, my week has been really lovely. Nothing partnering tickets that she's aware of, Yeah, not that I'm aware of it.
Speaker 4: I'm be getting one right now as we speak. But I know I said I would make up some juicy goss, but I feel bad lying. So it was a smooth, easy, fun Gordgeok, I loved it that I like it, Yes, exactly right.
Speaker 1: And you I'm still dreaming about Jessica's cookies. Oh my god, say yes, that never goes away. It's just been a constant in my life. But that's okay. I don't have anything that interesting. Honestly. I feel like Mother's Day has come and gone and that was really cute.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Obviously Harvey went all out. Of course, he definitely planned all of those things, and my husband had absolutely nothing to do with it. It's weird how like sentimental I get now around Mother's Day. I'm like, oh, I is this how my mom felt about it? Sorry about the crap cards over the year's mum, So that was nice, but nothing to report really. Would you like to have a little five star review? Yes? Please? So are you ready? Okay, I have one, and I think it's really cute. It's from Rebecca Are five Stars. It's now part of our weekly routine. I found that she's on the Money podcast after having my little boy, Are you Ago? The girls are now part of our weekly routine, and my son bops along when he hears the intro music. Thank you for taking me from feeling anxious and uneducated about the complexities of money to confident and informed. The warm personalities of all of the girls and their funny banter makes for great listening on all of our pram walks and car trips. Oh that's lovely.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and welcome to the world, little friend. I love that you're about the same age as Halfy.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering, do you reckon? You know how they say you should really talk to your baby all the time, like it helps their language develop. Apparently not mine, but it helps their language develop. Do you think I could just play my own podcast? Maybe I think so, But also like maybe they need to see the mouth movements. I don't know. Oh yeah, and also then you just the tally on. I am not gonna lie. It has been a fair few years since I've been willing to listen to one of our own podcasts. My own voice still surprisingly gives me the literal pic and I can't think of anything worse than having to listen to my own podcast in the car, like I would prefer to sing hop Little Bernie's Hop Hop Hop like that many times, or even just like the Happy Song by Image and Heap like on repeat. It just exists in my brain on repeat, like I can sing you that whole song end to end and I can repeat it if you want me to.
Speaker 4: Yes, please, They're claud that little Rebecca jams out. Yeah, thank you, Little Mini Rebecca Minnie Rebecca Mini Rebecca.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, I want to know, Miss Jessicci, what are our favorite money wins of the week? Rady.
Speaker 3: This week, my first money went from Mim, who said she found an email from Mecca in her junk. She had a fifty dollars vouchert from beu Loop for her birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh what reminder they do.
Speaker 3: I'm so sad they brought it in just after my birthday last year, but they do give vouchers now.
Speaker 1: Can you use me such a good birthday gift? My birthday is coming up next month for Mecca. If you're listening, I would love a little voucher. You should get one in your email.
Speaker 3: Me said that she redeemed it on an in store facial, so they're normally one hundred and twenty dollars, but she paid seventy out of pocket. But then the Mecca Beauty Services are redeemable on product, so she basically got a free facial and one hundred and twenty dollars worth of product for seventy dollars. Great great one from mim. Next, I've got a money win from Sue, who said she was debating buying herself a Ninja Creamy to make some protein based ice cream treats, and she realized she had enough A and Z points to buy an Amazon gift card, so she bought the Jaja Creemy on Amazon, and she also used shop back to get some cash back on her purchase. Plus, apparently, for some odd reason, the fancier model was selling for the same size as the regular one, so after all of that, she only paid nine dollars out of pocket for her Ninja creamy.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. Very impressive. One way of chess is like, Sue, please tell me how to get a Ninja slushy genuinely.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got a money loss from Ali. She said money loss arrived in Japan, but I'm not mad about it, which I just thought was funny. I feel like everyone's in Japan and it is a loss because you just want to buy all the cute things there.
Speaker 1: I feel like when you went to Japan, that's all you did.
Speaker 3: I loved it, and all my money at seven eleven and on sunny angels.
Speaker 1: No you didn't. You also spent a lot on skincare. That's you. Yeah, you have arguably the nicest shampoo conditioner as well. That sounds delightful.
Speaker 3: And then lastly, this week, I've got a double whammy from wonder if she says money win and loss is me realizing I have.
Speaker 1: Dice? Scally, I need to google how to pronounce that? Would you like me to have a look? Hey, god, wait, let me just plug it in. No, this is funny, Please Sam, don't edit this. It wrong? Where's the pronunciation? What doesn't just want to say wrong? She won't even show us the word. We can't even attempt it. All right, you just got to believe it. She's just going to say something now, No, we're keeping this word. Give it your best. Go let me see hang on. Oh yeah, I can't even read that far? Do I need glasses?
Speaker 4: Hellaculiace placulia, Actually quite close.
Speaker 1: It's dust calculia.
Speaker 3: It's called healthy internet, which is a neurological learning disorder. So one has been Did you not with the word that I just pronounced?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Is that dyscalcula? Not according to the Internet? Oh okay, is that the one way you're about it? Numbers? Discalculia, discalculia? Okay, yeah, maybe it is the same thing. It's the one where you can't it is numbers of mass. Yeah, it's like being dyslexic, but it's for numbers. I see, I see, I see. Well I didn't know what was called that. There you go? Do I mean?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: Calculating is much easier to say either way. One has been diagnosed with this, and she said it's explained to her why she's been recently struggling with her finances. She said it inspired her to find a simple way to track her spending and get back in control so she can tap away all of her goals, take her emergency account, payetro on the walkage et cetera. She's just using an Excel template, but then she copies and pastes, sees exports from her bank and stif Just.
Speaker 1: So, I thought really cool to go.
Speaker 3: Oh, like sometime and people having a hard time, it's not just because you're bad at something.
Speaker 1: It's because actually something going on.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of your diversity and you just need to learn what workaround works for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, percent, but that's a good one to end on, Miss just Goci, Miss Becksies, have you got some broke broke tips for us?
Speaker 4: I certainly do.
Speaker 1: You're talking to one of our producers earlier about unethical life tips. Is that going to go into the broke tips of this week? Not yet? Not yet.
Speaker 4: I think it's a slow steady I like it picaso.
Speaker 1: But also let's make sure they're legal. So absolutely, what three legal broke tips are you bringing to the table this week? Well, also just really quickly with the unethical life just really quickly.
Speaker 4: They might be unethical, but they work sometimes you really are just trying to survive.
Speaker 1: So oh, no judgment. But like we're a we're a platform, Beck, we can't be posting unethical life hacks because that would be unethical of us us. I don't judge people for doing it. In fact, sometimes I'm like, I wish we could share that on the pod. That's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Exactly well, survive, but don't see you.
Speaker 1: We aren't allowed to amplify you at this point, at this point in time. So the first one comes from Cordelia. This one seems like, oh, do you think a buffy.
Speaker 4: Yes, it could just be you know of say common knowledge, or maybe we've even mentioned this a couple of times. But I think it is helpful. If you pay with cash, it does stop the mindless tapping. But also at the same time, if you are paying in cash and you don't have access to anything online, that also stops you from buying online and finding something like you just you know, when you're scrolling through Instagram and you're like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, you can't pay for that in cash.
Speaker 4: You can't do any impulse not Also because it is physical and we had this before, it does if sometimes it feels harder to physically part with the money. So I think that is a fantast stick tip. This next one is I care do fifty percent meals on Friday and three dollars for Brecky and unlimited refilled coffee.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what are you saying? Half primary balls?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: Oh, the meat balls live rent free in my brain. I do you know you can buy them frozen as well have it home, can you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah you can, yes, I know, yes, from the little cafe out the front. You can buy them frozen. You can get the gravy, you can get the red jelly stuff. It's Lingenberry, by the way. And they also do the mashed potatoes, but I would just do mashed potatoes at home. Yeah. Yeah, but you can get the males. In fact, I really want to go get them now because now we're talking about them and I'm low key really hungry. Are we allowed? It's quite close to our studio and is that so close? Is that like? Can we use that as our lunch room? Yeah? Meatballs for all.
Speaker 4: Obviously my one is next, so it is similar to the first one I mentioned. I have realized because I created a new bank account put my savings and also direct deposits in. I just like and I don't want to look at finance clean now now. But I noticed that because I'm like mentally really lazy. I don't know if this will work with for anyone else. But as soon as there's like two factor authentic authentication or authentication authentic authentication from I don't know, from authentic authentic yeah, okay, well well ignore it doesn't like two factor authentication. No, and especially in particular if you have you know, when you have to download Microsoft Authentic like a second, Yeah, you get a code if you put two factor authentication on things that you do not want to access, including like a savings account or let's say like a place like you know ASOS or depop or something where if you just whatever has the ability for you to put the two f A on, put it on, and you might find that you're spending or even like tapping into those savings really decreases, because if you're anything like me, as soon as it says retrieve a code, I'm like, I've already gotten distracted. I already I just cannot be bothered. I just think it's a great way to like give yourself that extra time to not access those things.
Speaker 1: So just really good. It's probably more of a nearest spicy thing because there are going to be people listening to this going, what is your problem with doing two factor authentication? Yeah, maybe, like it's furine safety. It's to this nah more admin less interest if you're nearing now, I've got ADHD. Sorry, not interested anymore? You mean I have to go find my phone? Absolutely not exactly. That idea is out of the window. Absolutely an option, not an option. Thanks for trying, though, that's it. Nope, I get it. I get it. It's like your broke tip the other day was like, don't have the credit card information auto fil? Yes? Yeah, like me, I'm not getting up and going and getting my credit cards so I can make that purchase. In fact, I don't even want that purchase anymore. Learned mine, I've got memorized. Yeah, absolutely, not the same. Unfortunately it's memorized. But if you try and forget, then that's where you wait for your credit card like validity to end and then they give you a new credit card and then you're golden for a while. There. That's true. So that's me this week. I love that. All right, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I want to jump into having a chat about what to do when your parents money shame you, which is, by the way, really rude. So spoiler there I've got opinions and then something that you slid into our DMS about. We're chatting about whether you should trust in experts advice that you don't actually agree with when it comes to selling your home. So guys, don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money Tea is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hello, Hello, So I'm currently in my mid thirties, well thirty six light save thirties. Anyway, I just got back from overseas and spent on money while traveling, and so I've come back for no money now upset. I feel shramed about that, and my parents keep shaming me, being like how many times are you going to do this? And I do feel like I've got this negative money my story that I've convinced myself that I'm not going to save you money, like I'll save money for like a year, and then last year I got my redundant so whenever seas it's spent my reduncing money. I did try to have some safety money there.
Speaker 5: But obviously just got carried away with life of traveling as I love it. And then yeah, once again come back to no money, and I think my parents say, you know, how many times are you going to do this? Or you're in your thirties and you're doing this, like you know how many times are you going to get yourself into a position where you're not saving your spinning money?
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I felt shamed. I felt really embarrassed. I feel really like I guess useless for that or like I'm failing. And so I just want to help get that money mine reset and not associate myself with that so I can just see on track and hopefully have a bit of money story and give it better.
Speaker 1: That breaks my heart, like literally that makes me feel so awful for you and like thank you for being so open with us, because to say, oh, I'm really embarrassed, I really feel bad about this. That takes a lot to even just like reach out and be like, I kind of need a little bit of help here. One thing I will say is I can always guarantee if your parents heard that audio of you going, oh, I'm feeling really barrassed, I'm feeling really shamed, they would feel really ashamed. Because I don't think and I'm this is maybe benefit of the doubt. I don't think your parents realize how they've made you feel like and if they have, like they owe you an apology. But can we just zoom out a little bit? So you're telling me that you got made redundant and then you went overseas and probably have created all of these beautiful core memories and had the best time. I'm sure you have all of these great friends and experiences and things that you've done. How many more times am I going to do it? Mom? And Dad? End list? If it ends up that way, Like I had a really good time. Like don't get me wrong, Like I can see that you want to change your money story, and like there is a way that we could do both right, Like there is a way that we have savings and we have you know, an emergency fund, to fall back on, and we have all of those things, but they come from education. And like, I'm sorry, are your parents shaming you after not sitting you down and teaching you how to do these things? Sorry, you're telling me that I should be when you're going to get your stuff together? I don't don't, Karen, When are you gonna teach me? When are you gonna sit me down and be like hey, like, I'd love to show you X Y and Z No, no, Beck, how do you feel about this?
Speaker 4: I just like I'm hearing this and I'm like, man, it is wild that we're here and we do talk about this, But I'm like, why is there just this like template.
Speaker 1: Of how we should and shouldn't be living? Some people just don't work like that.
Speaker 4: Like I don't have the natural organic motivation to say for something I do not care about. Every single waking second is dedicated to being excited and living life and having fun and that should be just as valuable as saving money, because it is very impressive. Like JESSRICKI, you are such a good savor, You're so good with money. That is extremely impressive. And there is myself and some of my friends who are live in life been doing crazy things and just like going out and getting like making all these beautiful memories and that is cool and that is fun. And I'm just like, I don't know where this comes from. I understand that you do need for like safety reasons and emergency fund, but when you're ready, you'll figure that out and you'll also find a way that works for you. Because personally, for me, I've been on this podcast like three years now, and I still.
Speaker 1: Do not have been three years. I feel like two and a half. No, no, no, no, no, Like I'm not questioning it, just I feel like I'm here. But then also time flies when you're having fun.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, And I still do not have an emergency fund. But I realized once I started like investing that that is for some reason, there's a part of my brain that cannot touch that money. And so there's like almost six hundred dollars now in investments.
Speaker 1: Oh really, it's not I'm so excited about this. I'm just so proud of like the beck you've become.
Speaker 4: Thank you, But you know that's that's what I mean, like, is that like that works for me, and that's money that I just feel like I can't touch. For some reason, but that was in my savings account. It would not exist on the journey. He has been fun. I've connected, I've bonded, I've made friends, I've done wild things, and I just it is embarrassing.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. No, it's not no, but it feels embarrassing when you're on the one hundred percent, it feels it, but it is not embarrassed. You're allowed to feel embarrassment, but that does not mean that it is an embarrassing things.
Speaker 4: It feels embarrassing, but it also feels deeply unfair that there's this this this like base level template for how we think and feel and how we're meant to live that doesn't fit everyone. It actually, I don't think it's a lot of people, and we just we just blindly accept it and we live like that and it makes some of us deeply miserable. But sorry, that's just how you meant to live and.
Speaker 1: Now it's not. And I agree with you that that exists, but it frustrates the hell out of many that you can't just be happy, like people are trying to tell you how to live in line with their values, and like, don't get me wrong, I'm so opinionated, but like I would like to think that it's on the things that aren't about you making the decision that is aligned with your genuine thoughts and values and beliefs lack. And it's like when we were talking about politics, so like the election has come and gone, and throughout that process I literally kept saying because people would message me like, oh, who are you voting for? What are you doing? And I'm like, I'm not even sharing that because I just don't want you to think that I would judge you for voting any differently, Like if you vote the same, great, I'm sure that people could probably like clearly and very easily speculate who I voted for. I don't think that if you consumed all of my content you wouldn't be able to guess that. But I also go, but I don't care who you vote for. What I actually care about is that you voted in line with your values, Like have you spent the time and the energy to work out like what you like, beck, and like what things align with that? Like that's all I care about, you living the best life for you. And it's like when I say, oh, Beck, I'm so proud of the Beck you've become. It's because past Beck would have been like, oh my god, Like Beck's still having fun, but she also feels a little bit more financially secure. And how sick is that? Like, it's not because you've adhered to somebody else's values or copied my investment strategy or whatever. It's because you're living in line with the values that you hold. And that's so friggin' cool, thank you, But like that's what we want for our communities. I don't when you feel judged by parents who are living a lifestyle that you probably don't even want exactly do what makes you happy? Karen, I don't actually want to live like you. Yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 3: I think that Beck, You're so right that there is so much value in non traditional pathways, like there is. Seeking joy from your life is not a bad thing. And if that means that you're going against the status quo, like I think it takes a lot.
Speaker 1: Of strength actually to do that.
Speaker 3: Will say that I suspect that your parents' conversation is coming from a place of concern for your future stability, and I understand that, Like I was someone we've seven the podcast before, like I would travel and come.
Speaker 1: Back with like literally no money at all.
Speaker 3: But like now, when I reflect on that, I go, oh, on some level, I wish that I did it differently.
Speaker 1: I don't regret traveling at all.
Speaker 3: But I do wish that I had more financial literacy, which at the time I didn't like me.
Speaker 1: You don't know what you don't know, right, correct.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's cool the way that this has come about, and I'm so sorry that they've made you feel this way, because you absolutely shouldn't. But I do think it's cool, as someone who had that experience myself, that you have come to a place where, like, I want to know more so I can create something better. And I think that that's really awesome that that's how you're feeling. And I just want to say that you can have both, Like you can still do the things that you value. I have still traveled, even when, as you said, I'm quite a good saver. I still travel. I still do things that bring me happiness whilst still working towards my financial goals. You don't have to entirely sacrifice one for the other. But I would say that my worry for you, which is my worry for you to beck, is I always just want people to have an emergency fund. I never want someone to be in a position where, you know, if you were overseas and you got injured, or if you were at home and you suddenly found yourself without someone to live. Like, my worry for anyone, but for women especially is that they find themselves in a situation they can't get out of because of money. And so I think it's exciting that you're entering a phase where you kind of want to start working on those things, because having a level of financial security is also very freeing.
Speaker 1: I think you'll find I love it. I think it's about just living in line with your values, and like, if I reflect on your journeys and even my journeys, I know that financial literacy would have meant that I could have just been less anxious and less worried about things like beck, I'm sure that if we go back to all the times that you've had, you'd be like, no, I don't regret any of them. But if I go, okay, cool, but if we thought about money and the relationship you had at that time, you might go, oh, yeah, it was a bit angsty, but I was still having a good time that doesn't invalidate the fact that you were having a good time. It's just like, imagine if you had an emergency fund to go through that journey with as well, it might have made it even better. And the same with you, Jess, Like coming home from overseas and we've talked about it, you came home with like not enough money to buy a Mars bar at the airport, and like, that's fine, but I can almost guarantee that that version of Jess would have been so much more comfortable flying back into the country with enough money to buy a Mars Bar. And it's like, not even the fact that it's a Mars bar, it's just like knowing that you've got the financial backing to make the decisions that you want to make. Absolutely. So I guess that's a good place to wrap that one, because I want to dive into the next one because we got a DM this week. Are you ready ready? Hey, she's on the money. We're selling our townhouse and need a second opinion. It's thirteen years old, so bigger than the newer builds, but it's dated compared to what else is on the market. Our real estate. A reckons we need a good coat of paint and new carpet to get the top end of what similar properties are getting. My partner is happy, but I'm not convinced. I can't see how we're going to compete with the modern places without doing something. The range of what similar properties are selling above for is between one hundred and fifty to two hundred thousand dollars, So to me, it's a worth the investment, not a full reno, just few cosmetic updates to make it feel less tired. He says. Buyers will do their own renouts anyway, so we'd be wasting our money. I don't want to over capitalize, but I also don't want to leave money on the table. Would you go with the agent or trust your gut to modernize it before listing it. Let's ask Jess to begin with, because Jess, you are in the process of like looking at different properties, and I mean, if a property is one hundred and fifty to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars over because it's quote more modern, I'm assuming that you're purchasing properties over a miss million dollars. Is that a fair assumption? Yeah, I would say, yeah. So, Like, let's pretend it's not one hundred and fifty to two hundred thousand dollars like in your price range. Let's just like pretend it's a bit more. Are you preferring like modern properties over like more dated ones with bigger rooms?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What does that look like for you? I, personally my preference is for a modern finish, but I'm also very open to renovating myself. When looking at established properties, I think like the biggest thing that your buyers are going to be looking at is the floor plan, the configuration, which is something that you can't change anyway. Like for me personally, I know that you can make cosmetic changes yourself down the line, But the things that I care most about if I was to buy an established property is the structural things, like things that I can't change, would be very expensive to change. What's the heart of the ceilings, what's the configuration of the floor plan, like those sorts of things which are things that you wouldn't be changing regardless. I think that so when I worked in real estate, coda paint and new carpets is something that we would tell most people with any kind of damage to those things, you'd be amazed or what a.
Speaker 1: Difference walking into it feeling freshe hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I think that there's a lot that you can do relatively affordably. So you could probably look at updating, potentially painting any cabinetry that you have, depending on what it looks like, or re staining it. A lot of older properties have maybe a darker wood. You could look at sandia back or something like that. Changing your fixtures handles stuff like that to a more modern option as well, maybe from like a little round knob to something more elongated. There are lots of changes that you can make that would be very affordable. It wouldn't take you a lot of time, but might make a difference. The other thing we used to recommend a lot when I worked in real estate was staging. Staging makes a huge difference, and we saw this in My really good friends sold their property not too long ago, and their house was smaller than a lot of the other properties on the market, but it was by far the most popular in terms of people who came through, and it sold for like thirty five thousand dollars over what.
Speaker 1: Their expectation was.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's so good, And I think it's because they had styled their property really beautifully. Themselves like it was already they didn't hire a stager. It was just they already had like a nicely furnished, finished home, and a stager is what jess because people might be like, sorry, what's a stager? So you can have someone come in and they will stage your house so they can bring in furniture or just furnishings like stuff, furnishings, curtains, things like that to style your They make.
Speaker 1: The house look really beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I would say that it is absolutely worth the investment if you do not have the stuff to do it yourself. So if you have a house, if you take a personal interest in having your gal's house, it would be so easy to sell back. But if that's something that's already priority, you've got it style or it's got a particular theme, it's not as necessary. But if you're someone I think like Boypad, like I've just got a very basic ica coffee table, do you know what I mean? No no styling things, no blankets, no pillows, no nothing.
Speaker 1: It might be Ryan's house from Maps, Yes, yeah, so we would we would stage his house. I would probably look at staging it because you would be amazed at what a difference snakes. It can be a couple of grand but I reckon that's an investment in getting more money. True, true, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because you would stage before you take your photos and stuff typically too, so your property listing online, all those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: You can just pretend that's what you usually live, like if you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can use AI nowadays. I've seen that should be legal. Sorry, which I don't like. You know what, Sometimes they do it and it's really hard to tell. But then the thing is is when people come through teas, they're going to see it in person, it can be a bit jarring if it doesn't look the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be like, where's that room with the beautiful chair? And then the chair doesn't exist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, So I would also look at you might not even need to renovate, but maybe staging, whether you do it yourself and you purchase things that you can then keep and take to you an extra or sell on, or whether you bring a professional in to do it, might be a good way again to make things look a little more updated without having to fully renovate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beck, what are you doing to your house that you want to sell? God, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'll ever be in this predicament, but I think I would do exactly what Jess says.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna so your advice is just called Jess up what Jess would say.
Speaker 4: Exactly, because I'm thinking, like if I was gonna buy something honestly, like the this is not at all what our listener is asking, but if it means that something's a little bit cheaper, but it's a little bit more run down, but I can actually afford it, or someone who is has just saved enough and they can't afford too much and it's their first home and they're like, oh, this is a bit run down, but hey, I can afford it. I don't mind. I'm like, I would be happy just leave it as his. So I was just in case that that is the case. But yeah, I guess probably like exactly as just like even yeah, just like little things like maybe like the taps or yeah, like the door handles and things like that, Like little things make a big difference. One thing that always turns me off for some reason is like those wardrobes that have like the really flimsy wooden shelving that for some reason always like I'm like, I don't want that, and I don't know why, but so I don't know how cheap that is fixed. But if you just get those like I don't know, just kind of fix the little things up, things that are fairly cheap, fairly quick, fairly easy. Yeah, go for it with the new paint, new carpet, and see how you go and see if you like it. If you like it after like the staging and the new paint and all this, and you're like, this is now doable, and is it possible to just like put it up for a few months, see how you and if it doesn't do what you expected, then do rhetos.
Speaker 1: Then is that allowed? It depends on if you're going to auction.
Speaker 3: If you're going to auction, you have to set a reserve a price that you're willing to sell it for. If you're selling it privately, you can still have that conversation with your agent and say, oh, I'm not willing to sell it unless it's X, y Z fair.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be a little bit controversial and say in this instance, I feel before we get to the group chat that I actually trust the real estate agent that is going to be a little bit spicy. But the reason I trust the real estate agent is because you've said that the difference is between one hundred and fifty and two hundred one thousand dollars. And real estate agents get paid a commission based on how much a property sells for. So in Australia, the most common commission that will be payable so you sell your house, two percent of that purchase price is usually the commission that your real estate agent is going to make. And then of that commission, a real estate agent is usually going to, like the individual is probably going to take like forty percent, and then the agency, so like the agency that they work for, usually keeps sixty percent. They can slide up and down like different horses for different courses. The difference between a house selling for seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars or a million dollars, which is like two hundred and fifty grand, is going to mean a difference of like five grand. So like instead the agent for selling your house at seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars would get what six grand, But if they sell your property for a million dollars, they're going to get eight grand. That's like two thousand dollars difference, and that's a lot of money. Like, so if you're talking to your real estate agent and you're like, hey, like, should I restyle this property at my own cost? If I was the real estate agent and I genuinely thought I'd make more money by you doing that, I'd be like, yeah, Jess, please go spend all this money restyling this property or doing all of these cosmetic changes. It makes sense you'll get more money because like there's no comparison, right, Like, if you don't get more money, they'll be like, well, that's what the house was worth. I'm glad you invested it because you would have got less.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: But if I didn't believe that, and I was like, oh Jess, please don't go and bother with that, I'm seeing properties literally sell for the same whether they've been cosmetically updated or not. Yeah, I'd probably be like, yeah, that seems pretty fair, like because you would know the area, and also your money's on the line as well. If I do these cosmetic updates and they're the reason we get more, you're going to make more money, but you're saying it's not worth it. So I kind of err on the side of feeling like the real estate agent makes sense and like that real estate state agent is working for you as the seller. Yeah, and I think a lot of the time we need to remember who that professional works for, because the real estate agent isn't working for the buyer. The real estate agent is trying to get the most amount of money out of the buyer for the seller because they make money that way. So that's where my I guess brain would see it on that. We also asked the community. We said, would you trust the agent's advice, and fifty five percent of you said, I'd get another agent's opinion fair because like same, thirty two percent of you said yes, they know the market, and thirteen percent of you said, nah, I'm going to trust my gut. We asked, do you think when it comes to property presentation sells is actually true? Forty six percent of you said yes, twenty eight percent of you said only to some buyers, in twenty five percent of you said it's going to really depend on the property. And then we asked, well, what's your two cents? My favorite comment that I'm going to read that first says, well, you're both right, yeah, okay, and I mean it depends how much those cosmetic upgrades are going to cost you, right, Yeah, Like if it's little things you can do here and there, absolutely, But like if it's going to take weekends and weekends of repainting the whole kitchen. In the hopes that that happens, I promise, Like when I have purchased property and I walk into the kitchen it's the wrong color, I'm like, cool, that's easy changed. Let me see the floor plan, let me see the how like their room heights, et cetera. Someone else said, I recently purchased a nine hundred thousand dollar property, spent two grand on renaults, and it just got revalued for a million dollars. There you go.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is it can make a big difference without a b investment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Someone else said, it can actually be really hard for people to visualize the home's potential. So I would do enough to make sure it looks good. Another person said, I'd rather have the blank slate to make a place my own. Just make it really clean and we're good to go, which I think is really good. I have a three part one So someone said, I specialize in this. If the gap in the market is big, and you can do the renaults under that, it could definitely be worth it, not only more money, but it makes for an easier sale. Eliminate as many buyer objections as possible, and you will attract the most buyers to have competition and sell the property quickly. Yeah, which I think your friend's experience.
Speaker 3: I'll see if they had multiple bidders that all wanted the property.
Speaker 1: And then I've got a couple more. One person said, I recently bought an apartment and I actually only considered the properties that were ready to move in and had no changes. And then someone said, I don't want to buy a house for one hundred thousand dollars more just because it had a cheap fifteen thousand dollar facelift. There's really two sides to the coins that. Well, it just goes on and on, doesn't it. So that's it from me. I hope you guys have a beautiful weekend and we'll catch you on the flip side. Bye guys, Bye, did buy shared on shees on. The money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. All the money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria, Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine