Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, So we're going to do this in the next half an hour and it's I think something you'll enjoy doing this. I'm asking you to tell me about the story of your year in six words. Now. The reason why it's six years six words is that actually hemingway, so that you can tell a great story. You don't need to write a great, big novel. You can tell a story in just six words. So this year, when you think about what's happened in your life, in our lives, in any year, there's so much change that goes on. There's so much joy, there's so much happiness, there's so much regret, there so much loss, all of it what it is to be alive, us human, gloriously messy human. So have a think about your year, and how would you tell me the story of it in six words? So give you an example for me. I was thinking about this last night. How would I sum up this year another year of extraordinary just change in my life? At home and at work, and I was thinking. Yesterday evening, my wife and I closed the door, literally closed the door, and it felt like the closing of a not a chapter in our lives, but the entire book of our lives on our family home that we've had since we moved to Australia seven years ago. And obviously when we moved here, both of our daughters were on the cast. We're becoming teenagers. They're now nineteen and twenty one. They don't live at home anymore. We've sold the family home. We've downside, we moved out. Last night was the last night I closed the door. My wife was getting emotional. She said, Chris, I can't better close the little Can you close the door and get it go and wait in the car. I looked into that house and it was like at a museum. It wasn't a home anymore. It was like, this isn't a home anymore. Now, this is somebody else's home. I felt like I needed to get out of here. And actually, the new people they move in to that at midday, and they've got young kids, they've already picked out the bedrooms, and it feels like it's already moving on. So how would I describe this year? For me? This year'll be the leaving and the growing year. Both of those things are in our lives, aren't they. So for me it's like Jack at work leaving the show. Not the year I thought we were going to get this year on the show, nowhere near it. But Jack suddenly left the show and with all my love as well, and I wish him all the best. But Jack suddenly left in the middle of this year. But with that leaving our youngest daughter turned leaving home as well, tremendous growth as well. The show has changed Jack I hired. You know, when I start the show seven years ago, it's me Jack and pats him. Leaving suddenly this year was a really big thing. I wanted, how we're going to how were we going to get through it? How were we going to grow through it? But we did. I'm very, very proud of the show this year, and real came along and Alex kmerlong so as much as it's been the leaving year at home and youngest daughter moving out, and then Jackie Boy, which feels like another sort of kid I had as well, moving after family radio show home. That's how woud summon up in six words. For me, it's the leaving year but also the growing year. It's been an amazing year. I've loved this year. There's been leaving and there's been growing. So yeah, that's it for me. Patsy, what's it for you?
Speaker 3: I love that This for me, I think it's this version of us even richer, and it's kind of a little parallel to yours in a way in that Chris and I coming up to Christmas have really been lamenting about you know, there's no Christmas Elf anymore. There's no going to visit Santa. There won't be making the reindeer food to leave out on Christmas Eve because Audrey is going on, you know, very close to fifteen now, and it's like where have those years gone? The years are going so fast, But what has replaced it is this beautiful you know, we're pivoting into this beautiful, rich sort of experience with her as she grows into herself. So you know, she's really into a theater this year. We've been to two live performances with Odds and just seeing her shine and in her element. She's sung in front of the school a couple of times, and she's just got into this amazing peer program at school for next year. She's charting her course as she should, and to see that as a parent is beautiful and so Chris and I have got to catch up to that. So we feel like we're doing this massive, big pivot and it is. It feels like a really big year in that we're setting the course for twenty twenty six. We're all, you know, doing our own thing and rocking with that. But the major thing for us is our home life and just axling into wear hernw orbit and moving along with it. You'd know what obviously what that's like with the girls, but.
Speaker 1: It's a big thing. People don't talk about this from mums and dads, right They talk about what happens with the kids and the teenage and stuff like that. You're right, that age that already is out now that fifteen sixteen seventeen, when the girls were going through that, they really start to see their character being revealed. You know. It's it's like a flower. It's like an unfolds bit by bit and you're like, oh wow, okay, and it's a marvel. But also then what you actually also need to put your attention on is like is finding meaning in this second part of our lives and what that is. That's been the big thing for Sarah and I. This year is like working out all right suddenly, like they give you the gift of time, they give it back to you and then you have to go, oh, yeah, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What next? And that's the thing we're finding, you know, as she's going out to parties and sort of socializing more. It is just more of Chris and I, which is beautiful, and rediscovering each other and knowing that that friendship from you know, because we've been together over thirty years now that it's still there, which is really beautiful, and it's like, well, what would we like to do tonight? Do you know what I mean? Like, it's just it feels, yeah, why not.
Speaker 1: It's a big year for you, Chris and Andrea.
Speaker 3: At the language there's three in this relationship. But yeah, so that's where no, that's where we're at. Is just trying to, you know, keep up. It feels like a marathon. It's like, okay, we're here now, this is a really nice pay but do.
Speaker 1: Not think my time since I've known you in seventy years, I think this year that you've also grown Patsy as well. Yeah, i'd like to think so already has as well. You're constantly teaching your kids a lesson, and I don't mean the ones that you say bore them with. I mean how you actually handle and live your life. Yeah, that's the biggest. The kids are always watching us. You're always teaching you kids a lesson, and most of the lessons don't involve words. They watch how you handle your life, your joy, your pain, your anger. They're always watching you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. It's like a mirror, isn't it when you have kids, it's like a mirror of I.
Speaker 1: Think it's more like a hall of mirrors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, at a sideshow more to the point. But yeah, it's actually quite beautiful. And to see her forming her own opinions, and you know, we can have discussions about world affairs and or simple as just sitting and watching our shows together. That that's just the best.
Speaker 1: You're an awesome mummy. You and Christ the great parents, as are you.
Speaker 3: Thanks man?
Speaker 1: All right, So tell us what is this story? What's this year for you? Twenty twenty five? What has happened? Tell us the story of your year in six words, Oh four seventy five three one oh four three We go through yours next. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast, What's What's this year? What is your year in six words? Tell me all about it? Four seven five three one o four three Fiona Big year for Fiona, moved to Paradise, Ballana, love it beautiful Christian my year, hard work, Employee of the Year. I love this one National Champion shot put ruptured acl Oh sorry to hear that. That is a rough way to end the year. Karen her year and six words life changes are doable with friends. That's lovely Karen Janelle Morning Janell six word year, heavy year, friendships formed, book born. That is a lot. Good on there. Congratulations on the book birthing as well. Someone's saund now lot going on the ship. Chaos, Gremlins, Gremlins, You got gremlins, Christmas chaos Gremlins. Growth, Family understanding, evolving Alex, what's it for you? Big year for you and your family? You now live in Melbourne?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I've been shaking just getting ready to talk about this because it's been such a massive, massive year for myself and my family.
Speaker 1: Wild is a.
Speaker 2: Good word for it, Christian. You know, I've sort of reflected on it, and it's funny. Bunnie and I look at each other often and say, can you believe we're living in Melbourne now? We just have those moments. And it's just been an incredible year because my six word year is ending much better than it started. It started pretty badly with my departure from the Today Show and I was in a real funk.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what I was doing was going so much as well, you're a guy who's had a really successful career as a journalist, right, you've got to do some of the stuff. You must have so much shame around that as well. An unfair and unfair way to be let go of a job as well, Oh definitely. And m so small, so sudden.
Speaker 2: As well, and so unexpected, And yeah, it just left me and my family in serious limbo and we're like, what do we do now?
Speaker 1: Where do we go?
Speaker 2: And so so started a few months of looking in woods and reflecting on what comes next and where I go with my career.
Speaker 1: There must have been a scary time. You were dad with three young kids as well, terrified it was. We thought this is it. This is the end of my career that you've built up. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I was getting offers from mates to go and work on their nurseries, which was nice. You know, I had to do something, and luckily I had some other things going on with particular sporting clubs like the Penwrith Panthers, who are fantastic to me.
Speaker 1: And then and you became their actual mascot for a couple of most time, we don't like to talk about those moments you're in the outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the things I had to do, Christian the cart.
Speaker 1: Wills, Hey, dads are going to earn a coin, exactly right.
Speaker 2: But then again, your good self came along.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that phone call.
Speaker 2: That our long phone call out of the blow really and we got on like a house on fire. And here I am in Melbourne. Soe, thank you to you and this wonderful team. What a team this is.
Speaker 1: We got it. We're blessed. We have a lovely team here as well. I hope it comes across all that if you ever enjoy the show, that is one hundred percent because of the team environment we have here. It is it all comes out of that.
Speaker 2: It's all embracing, and there's an enormous amount of support, which I haven't always had in my past jobs, let me tell you that much. So it's just a really lovely place to be and so exciting for next year. I'm so blessed, so thankful, and just cannot wait for what comes next.
Speaker 1: All right, Keithi's coming. They're lovely, by the way, And it might take you a bit of time to think about it as well, because when you look back over you so there's so much you actually forgets what's happen, because actually we don't. We're rarely in the present. We're always looking ahead or trying to strategize and manage today, next week, Christmas, in a couple of weeks, time, New Year, the job, home, work, You're constantly you're never hear You're always somewhere else. And actually, when you take a moment to reflect, which we never do, we're always constantly somewhere else. And even before the show, we're all talking about next year, because we are. I've spent seven years of my life all building for next year. I can't wait. But I've had to remind myself that actually, right here and now that is magical, was wondering it's not going to get better because I've got a nasal radio show. It's it's allowing yourself to receive just all the blessings we've had everything this year. Sometimes we're always like, oh, when I get to that place, life will be better. And it's the wrong way to live your life. It's all about now. And you look back at your year and like what you've been through that have been so much laughter in your lives this year, sob tears, so much unbearableness of it all, so much joy, so much excitement, all of that wonder as well. So take your time think about your year and it might be something you want to sit down tonight with a pen and paper and actually write out a few goes of it. That's what I did yesterday. Took about half an hour to really fine tune to what this year has been for me, the leaving year and the growing year, and then send it to me tonight. If you want, Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot A you a Christian O'Connell Show podcast