Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast Millennials who want financial Freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means it would be time to get the team together, but Jessica is still in Japan living her best life. But it's time for Beck and I to celebrate you, our incredible She's on the Money community. Today we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about protecting yourself and your investment when you purchase a property with your partner, but your deposit amounts aren't equal. It's very specific, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about. And this week we're talking what do you do when you've been gifted a gift foucher but you can't afford to use it? Ah, I feel like this one had some really good responses from the community and I'm looking forward to it. But before we get there, beck Hi, it's just you and me bad.
Speaker 3: I know, this is so interesting.
Speaker 2: We're just hanging out, having a cup of tea, doing a little potty record. How's your week being?
Speaker 3: My week has been very, very nice, very chill, picking up a little bit, which is good because I make it work hard, and you're going to make me work hard. Yeah, I'll have impastter syndrome every single day of the week.
Speaker 2: No, not you, not me, not me.
Speaker 3: Nobody's really good.
Speaker 2: And you know, just the sun's been out and it's just been hasn't it been? Literally the best?
Speaker 3: Like the best?
Speaker 2: This is obviously dropping on Friday. Today's weather stunning stunning. The weekend stunning. That's a long weekend. This weekend stunning. I mean you're going to enjoy the long weekend. But I am actually as we speak back, I mean Brisbane. I'm not actually because we recorded this the day before I left, but I'm in Brisbane. Oh crazy, what are you doing that? Oh my gosh, it's so exciting. We're running out very first health and Wealth event with our friends at LSKD where we're doing like a full like health session, like a workout, kind of like have some smoothies, have some health food, and then we're doing like a wealth event where I then tell you how to take care of your money.
Speaker 3: That's signing it goes.
Speaker 2: So well together. So we're only doing one of them, and it's in Brisbane at the moment, but if all goes well today, my friends will be rolling out a few more of them because I think they'll be popular.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you want to Melbourne?
Speaker 2: I will. If it goes well. It doesn't go so well, I'll be like, oh yeah, haha, we don't have the capacity.
Speaker 3: True, maybe we'll never speak of it ever again.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, I don't know what you're talking about. But also, like the health and Wealth event, ye, like those two words go really well together.
Speaker 3: That's true, So it almost has to be done just so you can think up clean exactly.
Speaker 2: Been good, Yeah, it's been very good. I'm less nauseous. That's good, which is stunning. Get this, I can eat food and it doesn't come back up. Oh that this week only, this week only. I don't know how long it's gonna last. We're not gonna like jinx it knock on wood, all of those things. But that's the best.
Speaker 3: That's so exciting me.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to do so, Like I'm excited to now go on a plane. I was terrified to go on a plane because that could have been a very awkward trip for not just me, everybody else involved.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more than when not you, but someone in your either your bus or your train or your plane is not nauseated, and unfortunately have to see that.
Speaker 2: It keeps me anxiety as well. I mean, like if you've ever been pregnant, you know it's not just nausea. It's like consistent gagging. So I just sound like I'm going to be sick every two seconds exactly, you know exactly what it's like, Like I cannot wait. I know what's happening. Because Brooke is she's the best video producer in the entire world, hired by She's on the money because you're also a video producer. And I wouldn't want you to feel like I don't respond, but I do. That's very nice. She's real mean sometimes, and I know she's been collecting over the last few months all of those like little videos and snippets of me, like mid record that we've cut out, like that we cut out. I know she's like piled them away.
Speaker 3: We're not safe.
Speaker 2: No, we're not safe.
Speaker 3: I think especially you, You're especially not safe.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: And like I'm the easiest to pick on as well, Like I feel like I just do oh whole heap of weird stuff. But anyway, I want to get onto the show. Yes, we have so much to get through today. But first things first. Jess usually shares here her money wins and confessions from the group. But guess what, I'm in control again this week because Jess is not here, so we are going roguan. I got to pick them this week. Wow, I'm really excited about it. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: So, first, we have a money win from Kim. She said, I hit my twenty thousand savings goal for this year. Siah are you joking. She did say, money loss. My puppy ended up in emergency care on the weekend. But money wing guys don't forget. I've got twenty grand in savings, so I don't have to worry about that bill.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's great.
Speaker 2: I also really love her mindset around that, like it's not like, oh my gosh, money lost the dog, like my savings are going to go backwards. She's like, look at this thing that I can lean on that is there for this exact purpose.
Speaker 3: This is here for a reason.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool?
Speaker 3: That's great, adore.
Speaker 2: Also, she gets a special mention because, without being prompted by me, she also uploaded this and it says also VD will probably want to see a picture, and it is a photo of her dog.
Speaker 3: She knows you too well.
Speaker 4: You know me.
Speaker 2: I love it all right. Money in from Mahalia, she says, start a maternity leave today. Congrats. She says, it's a little bit earlier than planned. But I've been putting extra towards bills and stocking up on items for months now, which means we're at least six months ahead on a majority of our bills and rates. And I'm stocked up on all of the household items like washing powder, softener, dishwasher tablets, liquid, and pet food, which is gonna be coming in handy on a reduced income soon. I'm stressed about the reduced income part, but I'm trying to focus on the positives, on how we've prepared so much to get to this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really, really good idea.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about. I mean, I'm pregnant. I'm the worst pregnant person ever. Like, I have made no real big purchases yet, and to the big purchases I have made a little truly not even that exciting. But like stocking up on washing powder, dishwashing liquid, and like dishwasher tablets, that's going to cut down your grocery budgets so much when you go to one income. Yes, and if you're shopping over a few months, you can get them all on sale. Yes, that's so smart, really good idea. All right, Jennifer, she's got a money loss this week. She had to purchase a new fridge, but she also gave us some money win. She's like, I'm going to counteract the bad with the good. She said, I was going to purchase the fridge the good guys, but they were lazy and wouldn't get back to us with whether they had it in stock or not. So popped on over to JB High Fight, got free delivery, took the old fridge away for free, and through my husband's job, he got five percent off purchases through JB High Fight, So we ended up saving more than two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: WHOA, that's very good. That's a big money win.
Speaker 2: She's also, you know, added a life win in here, which I think all of us are going to be a little bit envious of. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Life win. She's like, I didn't even have to clean the old fridge before we threw it away.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, how annoying is it.
Speaker 2: To get thrusting your fridge wiping it out like it's gross? No thanks, no, no thanks? All right, I've got two more for you, beck Are you ready? This one is from Renee? She said, I changed my home insurance, saved four hundred dollars. Then girl masked myself into buying your diceon air up because they're on sale everywhere you got to you gotta get it. I appreciate that Renee, and then we have one last one from our friend Mary, and she said, for the first time in months, I haven't had to dip into my savings. Isn't that really good? Good on you get it, Mary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great, Mary.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's so good. That's like a positive money habit that I feel like so many of us struggle with, especially at the moments. We're in the middle of a cost of living crisis, and I swear everything is fifty times not exaggerating more expensive than it used to be.
Speaker 3: Yah, so true.
Speaker 2: It just feels that way.
Speaker 3: A or grapes of the day, twelve dollars for like a little little bunch.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I feel like I saw him main the other day and it said one hundred dollars is equivalent to one dollar in adult and I was like, that's how it feels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, actually what it feels.
Speaker 2: And I was like, that's gross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually curious to know how much you get for a dollar back in like twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: I don't know I could calculate it for it. I mean, I could absolutely calculate it for you, but we're not going to because it is time to do bex broke tips. What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 3: Okay, so this week I have one broke tip Sorry, i have my two broake tipsy and then I've got one from myself.
Speaker 2: A right, but like the first, the first.
Speaker 3: One is what I'm trying to say, thank you Victoria. So my first one comes from Jane who says I buy movie vouchers through shot back money I've earned, so when you're having a poor week, you can still go to the movies, which I think is a really cool idea. It's maybe something that like, sure, if you're like a little bit broke, it's not like your top priority, but it is also nice to do things that make you feel good. If you don't necessarily have a lot of money coming in, or you can't do those little things, it can be really hard for your mental health to be like I actually done money and I can't do anything.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a really good one too, because shopback's basically free money. Like if you're using shopback on your purchases, it's cash back that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten, and a lot of our community like using it as kind of like a cheeky little savings account kind of like to the side for splurges because obviously, like if you can't afford heaps, you're not going to pay for movie tickets as well. Yes, but like they feel free through shopbacks, so I feel like that's good. And also like if you pre purchase them, you kind of have something to look forward to as well. I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it so and maybe instead of going out and be like, oh my gosh, I've got to take my partner or my friend out for dinner or something, you go to the movies instead and spend zero dollars instead of spending your last fifty dollars or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you've ever done this. Spepack. When I was in UNI, I used to put my dinner in a tupperware container with my housemate and then we'd go to the movies and I'd obviously take my full handbag and put my dinner in the bottom of it, but we'd have like dinner in a movie, and I was like genius. We also went on cheap Tuesdays, so we got like the two for one because obviously we're not paying full price movie tickets in this house, absolutely not, so we'd like package up our little dinner and have like I don't know, a like movie theater picnic. They probably won't like that, like don't come at me village cinemas. I'm really sorry, true I forgot, You're not meant to do that. But like kind of for gold class and table service. So I di wied totally totally under the table. Don't tell anyone we said that. Good idea, all right? Next what else we got for us?
Speaker 3: Next one from Mindy who says, learn to tint your own brows. It is so easy draw outline with pencil. This this is kind of like more so for any kind of I would say maintenance. It's still also something you wouldn't prioritize if you are really really broke.
Speaker 2: H absolutely, but this is going to save some money. This is going to save some good money. It's going to save some good money. And it's not only for eyebrows. It's for you know, learn how to do your own head. And I was about to be like, what other hair are you tinting?
Speaker 3: You know you can tint your arm hairs if you want to, anywhere you want, learn how to tint, learn how to cut, learn how to and I know like you know. I don't know if you know this or not, but I've never been to a headresser, so.
Speaker 2: This one I'm quite aware. I'm quite aware. Not because I can tell that is a stunning mullet. Thank you. In fact, do you look like a stun mullet. You have bragged on the show a few times about diying hair, and do you.
Speaker 3: Know what, don't surprise you still have some exactly, don't be scared. Don't be scared to learn how to do your nails. I don't do my nails, but if you did do your nails, learn how to ten your eyebrows yourself, learn how to do a little wax yourself. I do all the kind of like beauty maintenance, all these kind of things.
Speaker 2: All right, beck, I want to know what is your broke tip of the week.
Speaker 3: Okay, So mine, probably as usual, is a little bit rogue and maybe not all that relatable, but.
Speaker 2: Not relatable content.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Let's put it on a podcast and send it live to the one point six million people.
Speaker 3: A really good idea. Yes, that's a really good idea. That's what I was hoping to do today.
Speaker 2: Ye actually great.
Speaker 3: I was talking to our fill in producer Indiana yesterday and I was talking about how we're both talking about how we go to the gym and we use the showers, we use, the hair dryers, we use the they have like little like moisturizers, yeah, tampons, pads, all this stuff at your gym. I paid.
Speaker 2: You're paying for your gym membership. Yeah, you paid it all the week.
Speaker 3: And also it's a really good way, like if this is more so for saving on utilities like energy, water. Literally, if you do it for long enough and if you do it enough times, it will have an impact. It will have an impact.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you don't shower at home, you're going to say a lot of money exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's a really good way to get you out of the house and maybe go to the gym. If you didn't want to go to the gym, you're like, I want to save money on essentials that could be moisturizer pads, tampon's hair dryer everything. They have everything there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I can and will save money on doing my eyebrows, and I can and will save money doing you know, my own pedicures and manicures. You are not going to get me in the gym have fun.
Speaker 3: What if you couldn't afford a hair dryer, and you're like, but I do have gym membership, Maybe I'll just go and use the gym's hair dryer while you're there.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do I've canceled the gym membership and find the hair.
Speaker 3: Dry That's actually very good idea. That's a good way to do like two things in one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: If you go the gym anyway, if you want to hate yourself and go to the gym, you do that exactly.
Speaker 3: And take advantage of their utilities water, energy, electricity.
Speaker 2: Genie anything else for those who are interested.
Speaker 3: Exactly if you're interested. Also if you're there is also a little bit more more rogue than that. If you're in a Campa van and you're driving around Australia, very relatable content and you don't want to get an Airbnb or a hotel because you have a van. You do have a camp of van. But if you wanted like a knight of luxury, you want to have a good shower or something like that. This is also where would come in handy. You have a nice hot shower in a gym anyway, that's my but do.
Speaker 2: You have to pay for the gym or if you got like one of these memberships where it's any club in Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I use anytime finish. I think I should say that just in case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, give them a little plug, because you're abusing them enough that they probably deserve the free advertising.
Speaker 3: I should be paying their utilities at this point.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more. All right, Well, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about a money dilemma of how to protect your yourself and your investment when you're going to purchase a property with a partner but you don't have equal deposit amounts. And we're also going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking about what do you do when you've been gifted a gift voucher that you can't afford to you? So don't go anywhere, guys. All right, Beck, we are back. Let's have a listen to this week's money dilemma. Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hello, she's on the money question. What can you legally do to protect yourself when purchasing a property with your partner, significant other, husband, et cetera. If you have deposit amounts that aren't equally matched. For example, if I put in eighty percent of the deposit and they put in twenty percent. What can be done so you can protect your assets if that relationship doesn't work in the future.
Speaker 2: Thanks, this is a good one, Beck. What would you do? I? She said legal? Legally? What can you legally do? Not? What would Beck actually do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Could you legally? I was going to give only illegal Yeah, that's why I was disclaiming it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Well, in that case, I have nothing, But you're like to start a fight. Start a fight, broke up, and you know to deal with it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just kidding, because if you're trying to separate it you probably have broken up back, right, So we're forward planning. What's your exit plan? What's your exit strategy?
Speaker 3: Gosh, you know v I do you want me to just take because you know I'll never probably I'll probably never find myself in this position, So I'm I'm happy for.
Speaker 2: You you will. So first things first, we need to do a few things. One, we need to have open, honest conversations about where we're going and what we want to do. So, if let's pretend it's around one hundred thousand dollars and you've contributed seventy thousand and your partner has contributed thirty thousand, that is a significant difference in deposit amount. Like we're not talking about two or three thousand dollars where it's kind of like here or there in the grand scheme of things, it all comes out in the wash. Like that's significant. Are you going to be splitting the mortgage in the same percentages or are you just going to be fifty to fifty after that? If so, if you're selling the house, will you be getting that seventy thousand dollars back before profit? What does that look like? Are you going to purchase the house and then if you know your exit plan is no worries, we'll leave when we get our deposit back, we'll split it equally. Why would you do that if you contributed literally seventy percent and they contributed thirty. So I think it's important to have that open, honest conversation first. Yes, you could take it a step further, get what's called a binding financial agreement, which I think is really important, especially if you're like, oh, I don't really know, it's never going to be fifty to fifty, Like it just makes you a little bit more financially secure, and I think that's really important. The other thing is understanding property ownership and that there's not just one way to own a property. So the first thing that popped into my head was are you going to be tenants in common or are you going to be joint tenants? So if you're a joint tenant, that means that each owner has an undivided equal share in the whole amount of the land, and the premise of one means that their share passes to the other joint owner if they passed away. Like Beck, you or and I are in a relationship, we buy a house together, I die yesterday. It means automatically becomes entirely your house. Is that how it's going to work. Is that what you're comfortable with? If so, that's fine. But the flip side is tenants in common, and that's where each party has a very well defined share in that property and in the land. And it could be you know, fifty to fifty, it could be that seventy thirty that we were talking about, or any other percentage. So it really depends are you going to be going equal on the mortgage repayments? And like who owns the house? Like you know, you might have contributed seventy percent of the deposit, but do you own seventy percent of the house?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What does that conversation look like? How does that work? Where are we going with it? So I think it's really important to have these open, honest conversations of like, okay, like hypothetically if we break up, and it sounds bad because no one wants to talk about breaking up, right, But I think the best time to have these conversations is when everything sunshine and roses, like, yes, we're so in love together. Yes I want the best for you and you want the best for me. Why aren't we making those decisions and putting them on paper now where I go, No, if we broke up, I mean, if you cheat on me, Beck, we've got to have a fight. But if everything worked out in our relationship, hasn't, this is what I would want for you. And you go, yeah, okay, that seems fair. Let's do it when we're level headed and still in love and want the best for each other. Because to me, that's the kindest outcome. And also, those conversations suck when you haven't had them and now you're trying to have them with a partner you don't even want to answer text messages from. So I think it's important to I guess, be open and honest, Like if you're at a point where you're buying a property with a partner, protect yourself. And I mean you said protect yourself and your investment. It's an investment. We don't put money in hopefully get less back. So put it in, put a plan in place, and you know, sign off on it even if it doesn't And I don't want to say even if it isn't legally binding, because all of the estate planning lawyers in my DMS will blow up at me. But sometimes we just don't have the money to pay for an estate planning lawyer. So at least, at the very least, have that open, honest conversation and go, well, Beck, this is what I would do. Yes, does that make sense?
Speaker 3: That's totally makes sense.
Speaker 2: Let's just be kind to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also, congrats on getting to a point where you have a deposit.
Speaker 2: That's big dog, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's really really cool.
Speaker 2: That is very cool. All right, moving on, Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited for this, are you?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 3: I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: We have a DM and I'm very excited about it because every single week someone slides into our DMS about what to do with a bit of a dilemma. Sometimes it's spicy, sometimes not. This week we received a dilemma and it sounded a lot like this, Hi, she's on the money. I have a money dilemma. My friend kindly gifted me a one hundred dollars gift voucher to a very very fancy and Spanospa for my thirtieth birthday. That's nice. However, every treatment is way out of my budget, so I just thought, you know what, I'll have my eyebrows done well, the voucher comes with terms and conditions that say the minimum treatment is ninety minutes and it needs to be used within six months. The cheapest option would actually leave me out of pocket by more than one hundred and sixty dollars once I've used the voucher. I simply can't afford this right now.
Speaker 3: What I do?
Speaker 2: Give the voucher back to her, try to sell it on Facebook marketplace, or do I just let this blow over and just waste it. I'd hate to waste her money, but it's honestly not a priority right now to contribute so much money to a massage.
Speaker 3: HM. I totally know this feeling. It's like, you know, when you get any package ever and there's like a one hundred dollars naked wines thatchy there, and you're like, oh my god, if I use this, and you go online and you're like, oh, I have to spend at least seven thousand dollars, you know, and so it's the worst.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, Okay, this is actually imagine if that was your thirtieth birthday as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't want to like use you want to use it, but one hundred and sixty bucks is a lot of money. Maybe, Like I would say, sit on it until maybe a month or two out of the actual expiration thing, and if you still can't afford it, then I would just have a nice, honest, open conversation with the friend and be like, this is the situation. I want it to be used and I want maybe you.
Speaker 2: To use it. Yeah, that's kind.
Speaker 3: I think that's kind. Or maybe your friend will be like, oh, I'm so sorry, I'm going to give you one hundred and sixty dollars and you can go get a nice treatment, doupe.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's how i'd solve it, because I'd feel bloody awful. Yeah, I feel like, I don't know, I've got a bone to pick with the spa. Why are you selling one hundred dollars vouchers if you don't even have a service. That's one hundred dollars true?
Speaker 3: What the hell I did you even think of that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Why are you putting terms and conditions on it? Like I can almost guarantee that Beck if I went, oh, I'm gonna buy Beck one hundred dollars voucher to a spa. In my head, you'd just be able to use that on like whatever you want, Like I would be mortified to find out that they then put a ninety minute cap on it and then you had to spend more, Like that wasn't the purpose of me giving you a voucher, Like I wanted you to go to have a really relaxing time on me, not have a financially expensive time or me. Yeah, do you know what I mean? Like, I feel like that doesn't make a lot of sense. So if you're confident enough, I'd pick up the phone and just have a conversation with whoever answers, Like obviously you're calling the SPA disclaimer that, but call the spar and be like, hey, like why like what can I use the one hundred dollars for? Like it's not within my budget? You know, could I break it up? Could I actually use it for this eyebrow wax? I know your terms and conditions say ninety minutes, but that doesn't feel like it's in line with fair trading if we're honest, Like I don't want to be that, Karen, But like I also go, that's not very fair because also if they do offer cheaper services, hey, like I feel like that's quite reasonable. You're not missing your money. Like my friend paid you one hundred dollars, I in turn got this voucher. I would now like one hundred dollars worth of services. If an eyebrow, you know, wax, is thirty dollars, let's say, can you just break it up and give me three of those or four foot the extra ten dollars? Yeah, like you you know what I mean? Like, maybe try and negotiate it, like I can completely understand that the terms and conditions might say that. I don't think that they stand up because that feels a bit dodged. Yeack, But yeah, I would do that. But in saying that, let's pretend that's all kosher. Sure, honestly I wouldn't say anything to the friend at all. I don't feel like this is their problem. Yes, I also wouldn't want them feeling bad. But for me, if I gift you something back, I would never be offended if you regifted it, like if it doesn't serve that purpose. But the gift I gave you served the purpose when I gave it to you, and it was to make you feel thought of, and you know you feel special, and you you know, might use it or might not. But Ultimately, I'm giving you a gift because it's an act of kindness from my behalf, going, Hey, I really want to show my gratitude and how much I love you, and here's this gift. Did you feel like you got that out of that gift when your friend gave it to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you probably. That's a good question. I think that though.
Speaker 2: Why do I need to keep the gift?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 3: True? True?
Speaker 2: Why does it matter what I do with the gift?
Speaker 3: You wouldn't resell it, you would regift it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, like you could sell it, you could regift it. I don't mind what you do with it. But sure the purpose of the gift happened. Yeah, Okay, it wasn't. Oh she didn't even care, she doesn't have it. Well, I gave it to her. She felt appreciated. You know, if you really want to get in the nitty gritty when you post on Facebook, marketplace, hide it from your friends when you post it. True, that just feels like the smart thing to do. But I think it's one of those things where the gift did technically serve its purpose. And that's why I'm such a fan of I guess regifting, like because if someone gifts me something and it's a really thoughtful present, Pretend it's my favorite candle, Like I've got a favorite candle, loll but I know what it is, do you know, like the Marco and Co candles. It's like beachy one. I don't know what I'm running at outside now anyway, anyway, my favorite candle ever. But let's pretend somebody gifted me that I've already been gifted, like two of them. I've got them in my draw. Do I add it to that and just let it sit there? Or when your birthday comes up back, do I go, oh my gosh, this is my favorite candle. That's gonna love it. I'm gonna give her one. Yeah, the gift for me served a purpose. I feel really heard from my friend. I feel like my friend really thought about me. But also that gift serving another purpose and that I don't have to buy a present to give to someone else. Yes, so you could regift it, you could sell it, you could you know, call and negotiate, but I don't think your friend needs to be involved. Okay, your friend was just trying to do something really nice and to be honest, if you came to me back and said, Hey, the voucher that you gave me can't do anything with I'm just going to feel bad unless you want to have that conversation and you're really close to them. But that's my take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, while we're on completely different ends of the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Here, I know, but like also, I think I'm a bit more I don't know Fluffy when it comes to gift giving, because I think it's really about the act of gift giving, not necessarily the outcome. It's like the thought that counts, right yeh, So like why it's the thought not counting here?
Speaker 3: Yep, that's true.
Speaker 2: So very good point. We did ask the community what did they say? We said, what would you do if you were in this situation? Thirty seven percent of you said we'd give the voucher back to our friend, forty eight percent of you said we'd sell it, and fourteen percent of you said, I'm just not going to use it. I'm going to let it go to waste. Won't do that, I see. Don't let something go to waste?
Speaker 3: Yes, try not to.
Speaker 2: But you know, the next question we are was if you found out your friend sold a present you gifted them or marketplace how would you feel? Thirty percent of you said, I'd feel upset and angry even if I knew the situation. I think you need to have a hard think about your values here and why you even gifted it to them in the first place.
Speaker 3: Oh true, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's I don't know. Yeah, that's fair. I mean, I can see both sides, but.
Speaker 2: I can totally see both sides. But like, I also very much are like it's the thought that counts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Seventy percent of you said I'd understand given the situation. We said, do you think it seems ungrateful to give a present back? Thirty eight percent of you said yes, and I agree. I agree. I wouldn't give a present back. I didn't give it back. I would find another purpose for it, because I don't want you to think that the thought wasn't worth it. Sixty two percent of you said no, I don't think it's ungrateful. We then obviously opened our DMS and said, give us your two cents, and here are some of the responses back. So, someone said, isn't there rules on how long gift cards need to last?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Yes, true, Yes, they can't expire it can't expire.
Speaker 3: They can't.
Speaker 2: Well, they've got your money, right, Like, you can't be like hahaha, it's not going to work after this amount of time. True, someone said, I think offering it back and kindly explaining before selling it would be polite. Great. She could regift it to someone in her circle that knows she could use it, perhaps somebody who they know already goes to that spa.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 3: Or to stand outside the spar and be like, you want one hundred bucks off your treatment today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, stand out the front and be like, hey, I've got this voucher. Are you going in there?
Speaker 3: Just someone who looks nice?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like when you give your parking ticket to the next PERI. It's like my favorite thing to do, all right. Next, someone said, we need to change your mindset my friend. I am your friend. She said, I don't have many friends, but it's all about open and honest communication. In this circumstance, You've got enough friends, I promise. Next someone said, let it expire or let them know that the terms and conditions suck. She might not have known, and gift it to somebody else too in the future.
Speaker 3: Oh point, it's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Because if Becky, you pretended to love the gift that I gave you, I'd be like, that's sick. I'm going to get it for Indy when her birthday comes up. And then Indy's like, fuck, she got me one of those gift vouchers that you got that you just can't use about me behind my back. We would never No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: He would just sell this whole cycle, just give gift everything.
Speaker 2: No, it's true. Someone else said, if she's a true friend, she's gonna understand. Just talk to her about it. Someone else is on the same page as me and said, ring up the SPA and tell them that they need to be flexible with their terms and conditions. Seriously, someone said, ask other clothes, family or friends if they would like it so it doesn't go to waste, or ask for an extension, which I think is very fair extension noneth less, like six months is.
Speaker 3: Not enough time.
Speaker 2: Someone else has said, and I'll give you two more of these. I'd regift it to someone in a better financial position. I'd give it to my mum or something like that. And then someone said, sell it or gift it to someone close to you. Just pass on the good vibes. That's what it was for. Like that, because I just feel like when you're giving a gift, it's the thought that counts, bought that counts. Like that's what tender gave you a mug and I go, Beck, I picked this mug because I thought you'd really love it. But then it turns out you just drink out of drink bottle and you're never going to use it. Does the thought go to waste there? I don't think it does.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: So if you regifted it, you'd be like, well, it is a really nice mug, I'm just not going to use it.
Speaker 3: And arguably opening a gift is so much funner than usually the gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And also is it not a gift that I just saved you money from having to like buy your other friend and another process.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: You are welcome, You are welcome. Don't say I don't do anything for you. Regift all the time, especially coming up to Christmas. Maybe go through your cupboard. What haven't you used from Christmas last year that you can add it to Chris Kringle this year?
Speaker 3: Not hoping Maybe.
Speaker 2: There's a lot. There is a lot, all right, Unfortunately, I do think that is all we have time for today. So beck you have the best we can you too, and we will see you guys on Monday.
Speaker 3: Bye guys, love you, bye bye.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine.
Speaker 3: You do that, I want to me