Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast Last Weep Nelfe. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Josh c the twelfth eliminated contestant on MASTERSHEF Australia, which is on Network ten from Sundays through to Wednesdays at seven point thirty. Growing up in Queens New York City, Josh Clark cites both his Irish mum Caroline and Jamaican father Jason as his food inspirations. When the kitchen bench was only at chin height, Josh would watch his mother work hard at an Irish pub in New York City, while his dad expanded on their rich culture at home by adding his Jamaican flair to every meal, making Caribbean cuisine a significant part in Josh's cultural norm growing up. Josh has a young family and is now based in Queensland. Sadly he has missed out on being in the top ten, but what an achievement to make it this far. I absolutely loved catching up with Josh today and I'm sure you will enjoy our chat, which does include finding out what happened to the other Josh Over the last few cooks. Josh will talk about his decision making process with cooking that vegan carrot steak and why he avoided mushrooms. We will also unpack the Master Chef brand and find out what he thought of cooking shows back at home in the US of A. I will ask about Josh's love of high risk, high reward and find out which dish was his biggest risk but ultimately was his biggest reward. We will discuss everything from buying some eat sauce a coals to what he thought about the audience saying that Curtis Stone was a little bit cranky. There is actually so much to unpack with Josh, so sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of Master Chef Australia. Hi, Josh, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good man, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing very well. We're getting to that point of the show though, where we're so familiar with these personalities that I'm starting to get like, what's the word for it, like, you know, a bit starstruck by talking to people at this point.
Speaker 2: It's very that's I mean, I appreciate that I'm just a normal dude, but I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm talking to Josh C today. Okay, pull it together, pull it together, don't ask him too many questions. Let him have time to breathe.
Speaker 2: It's fine, No way, fire away, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Have you recovered actually from your master Chef hangover? Oh?
Speaker 2: I think I'm still going through to be honest with.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, it'll take a little while.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's been great. It's been great watching it on the TV and you know, seeing all the fan love and all that kind of stuff. It's been a great experience overall.
Speaker 1: Well, I related to you really well because I thought similarly. I think high risk, high reward with my life. When you said that on Sunday Night, I was like, that's me. But I also think that's a lot of people that would apply for a reality TV show, don't you think to be the sort of person who's gonna say this is what I'm going to do, that's high risk, high reward right there.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I've noticed that in some of Alumnis throughout the show. You know, I'll find these potent personalities that go on reality television all have that kind of similar methodology behind who they are in life.
Speaker 2: Because then otherwise you kind of just go about flying under the radar a little bit.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we're not those people.
Speaker 2: No, no, you know, but and you know, I was there on Massive Jeff Australia, you know, one of the biggest shows in the world, and I just wanted to take or take it by the horns and make the most of it. Essentially.
Speaker 1: Of course, which dish would you say that you cooked this season was your biggest risk but your biggest reward because we got to see what your biggest risk was and maybe not the biggest reward. We saw that in the final Black Apron Challenge for you. But when was it in the competition that it actually paid off?
Speaker 2: I reckon maybe when I did my dad's to make in trim Curry. Not that the dish itself was like a high risk dish, but risk in the sense that I'm exposing an aspect of myself that you know, on a massive stage to a massive audience. Yeah, it was. It was almost confronting to try and to show that side of me and expose it, but in the end it was it was worth all of you know, that risk being taken because the reward after was amazing, you know, between John Christophe's reaction and the rest of the judges, and you know, the amount of people that I touched and messaging about the story and stuff like that. It was. It was an.
Speaker 1: Amazing interesting Being from the US, I was curious and I'm looking forward to talking to you about this. You know, were the big cooking shows, like big reality cooking shows that you grew up watching over there in the US, because I was curious as to what your understanding of Mastership was before you even came to Australia.
Speaker 2: Can I be completely honest with you, I've never watched a reality cooking TV show in my life before coming to Australia. I didn't want any of them over there while I was in the States. The first time I ever had experience with Master Chef itself, it was when I came to Australia. Wow, so was it was strange to see it for the first time, you know, get instantly hooked watching it every year with me and my wife, and then to be on it is like I can't I'm still pension myself and trying to fathom the fact that one of my favorite shows ever I got to be a part of.
Speaker 1: I mean, it kind of feels like it was your destiny. I enjoyed your story on this show, and it was and you did so well to get there, just you know, missing out on getting into that top ten. But still so many other people have left this competition before you. It's proof that there's something quite magical about you as a chef. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ben, I really appreciate that those are words that are gone straight to.
Speaker 1: My heart talking about things that go straight to your heart. I feel terrible, but over the weekend I did nothing about binge TV shows and I didn't go out and get some Neat's sauce? Did you go to did you get some eat sauce from Coals?
Speaker 2: Or?
Speaker 1: Are you like me? And are you a bad friend?
Speaker 2: No? Actually I went out to go and get it, and my local calls hadn't stopped it yet, So I've got to make another trip back there to see if it's there now so I can get it myself and start, you know, playing with it at home.
Speaker 1: We'll write to them, Yeah, we'll put in the request. Everyone was back on board in your last episode, and the one thing you know that I've realized this season is that fans of this show don't miss a trick, and everyone wants to know where the other Josh was. What where was Josh? Do you know the answer to that question? Were we told did I? Did I go and have a toilet break where they explained what for a few episodes like what can you tell me?
Speaker 2: I think I think it was briefly mentioned during the episode Josh as he was pretty crook over the course of those two cooks. Yeah, so we did the cook at the James Squier Pub and he did really well with that with his team, and then right after that he got really sick, so much so obviously that it wasn't just that one cook he missed. It was the following cook as well.
Speaker 1: How many cools you missed before they just tell you got to you know, don't come back.
Speaker 2: I think it's a case like case situation, right, if you're feeling unwell on a particular day and you have to miss that cook because you really can't be there. I'm sure both the production team and the contestants who are having to cook, you know, can be understandable, you know, from that perspective, right, because if I was sick. I hope that they wouldn't force me to cook food while being well, love to do it, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Get out of the kitchen. I don't want you to do that. But you know what's interesting is that when I was when I was a kid, if I was sick, I had to stay in bed all day. I wasn't allowed to watch television. So I'm wondering were they policing him with that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Was he just at home? What is he doing to recover? Like? Does he just have to stay quarantined?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Yeah, you got to. I think he would have been staying quarantined, preventing from spreading whatever illness he had to anyone else and just doing his best to look at for himself and recuperate so you can come back as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: Do you feel jealous that he's still in the competition saying is that he's been a slack of sitting at home?
Speaker 2: There was the universe works in mysterious players.
Speaker 1: Right I'm being I'm not going to hold it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I don't hold it against them. I have no bitter feelings about it. Like I said, if I was in that position and I was on Well, I hope that it was handled the same way it was handled for Pez.
Speaker 1: True. There was a lot of commentary on Curtistone last week. You know, there was some people saying that he was much harsher in the kitchen this year. I was curious about whether you noticed that in the kitchen. I mean, I don't know whether you know, you'd never met him before, so you probably didn't have much compare it to. But was the audience right to say that he's been maybe one of the harsher critics that's been in the kitchen this year.
Speaker 2: Look, I can compare it in the sense that I did be follow the cook with Jamie Oliver and watching Curtistone from the gantry and watching the contestants having to follow him. I can tell you myself comparatively to the Jamie Oliver one, like the difference was night and day. I think because the Jamie one was so early, I think he was a bit more lenient and a bit more you know, courteous in terms of his speed and his explanations of certain things. But you know, Curtis Stone is a Michelin star chef. The way he was running it is how i'd expect more or less of Michelin Star restaurant to run and look. It can come across as mean and stuff like that, but I think it was as close to the real thing as you could get.
Speaker 1: And do you know what I mean, Like I want someone to be a bit sassy. I think I want people to be challenging in this particular environment.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's going to change his name to curteous Stone. But that's okay, that's okay. It makes good television.
Speaker 2: And we're all there to learn, right and we want to be thrown into the deep end, be pushed or pushed in different ways and try and you know, think on the spot. And I think that's exactly what you made them do.
Speaker 1: Well. I think everyone's been talking about which, you know, celebrated chef that's come in as a guest chef this season and who they have taken the most from. Would it be fair to say, from what you were saying about Jamie Oliver that he was the chef that, for you took the most home from.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think that's a fair assumption to make because not even with the cooking side of things, like just meeting Jamie Oliver in person and getting to see who he is on and off camera, and he's exactly the same person. He's the most humble dude I've ever met for someone of his notoriety. So as well as all the knowledge I gained from him as a cook, you know, but I also gained a wealth of information on just his character and how to carry himself and how I can apply that to myself.
Speaker 1: And I think that's important. How did you feel about the Sunday Black Apron Challenge? Had you prepared for a vegetarian dish? And I've brought this up a few times in the podcast this year about you know, having to think about what's possibly going to come up in a challenge, and surely vegetarian had been playing on your mind. You know, what sort of preparation had you had and had this dish been something you'd been thinking about for a while.
Speaker 2: This was my least favorite challenge of the entire competition.
Speaker 1: Dame, I don't even care for it. I'm like, I don't like the vegetarians. Maybe I can go see yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I was vegetarian for a little bit at one point in my life.
Speaker 1: So were you and barn Bay being a vegetarian and hanging out with Pete Evans, like what was happening.
Speaker 2: I was backpacking Thailand at the time, actually no, but and I had a vegetarian dish in mine, But it wasn't until I actually realized that it was vegan that I didn't have access to the milk and cream and butter and eggs. Yeah, that it completely threw a spanner in the works for me, because you know, you can try and mimic a meat dish as much as you like with just vegetables, and you can use milk, cream, butter and that kind of stuff to add more you know, depth to the dish, you know, to accentuate and compliment the vegetables. The fact that it was vegan was the thing that really threw me off and made me completely uncomfortable. But look, that's a nature of competition, and that's the nature of a challenge.
Speaker 1: Right absolutely. I mean, my plant based cook would have had mushrooms, and I think I'd have been thinking potent herbs, you know what I mean, Like, I think that's why my brain was going to try and create that. And then I was sort of leaning towards like a Vietnamese foe, which could have worked. But then you know you're very heavily relying on those mushrooms to create that meat that they wanted you to have. But I also thought, I wondered how distracting it was to also be told that you guys are heading into the top ten and by now you really should establish yourself as who you are as a cook. Because once I heard that, I thought, I'm not a Vietnamese cook, so maybe I wouldn't Vietnamese boat doesn't seem like the right thing to do, Like, how much is being told at this point that you should really know who you are in the kitchen infiltrate it. How you were going to do that? Last course?
Speaker 2: I don't think it was to my detriment because right when you think of vegan or vegetarian, mushroom is usually the first thing you think of as a meat substitute. That's exactly why I didn't choose it, because I knew it would be the most popular choice, and I wanted to stand out from the crowd and to be able to try and guarantee my spot in top ten. I wanted to do something different. I wanted to push the boat out there. I had an idea that I thought maybe I could execute on, and if I did, there would be a dish that I would stand out amongst the rest of them. But unfortunately I didn't execute it one hundred percent. And you know, here we.
Speaker 1: Are hats off to you though for trying to do something, because it did look impressive, just didn't come off with the way that the judges had wanted. But it certainly was an aspirational dish, which I think you should still be very proud of. Is there a possibility that everyone could try and cook the same dish? Because you highlighted something there that I thought was interesting about, maybe everyone would lean towards mushroom? Is there enough mushrooms for everyone to do a cook like? Is some of the ingredients running out?
Speaker 2: Look? That's the magic of TV, right, I think they have. It just keeps popping up, just like Santa Claus's bag.
Speaker 1: Okay, But then I wanted to know, like, is there a point where you would talk to the producer about what you're going to cook so that they can stop everyone from cooking the same thing? Because if I was making a TV show like this, and I was like, today is going to be vegetarian and we want there to be a meat harnessed flavor. I think everyone is going to go mushrooms. Is there a way that the producers can drive everyone into splitting off and trying to do something different so we're not just saying the same thing cooked over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. Maybe I would imagine I didn't have any direct experience with this, and I don't know of anything like this alike along these lines that happened during this season in particular, but I would imagine and I would kind of encourage, you know, if every single confessant is acting for mushrooms, you know, you kind of cat how many mushroom dishes they're going to be and try and force people to do other things, right, because when you walk into the Master Chef kitchen and the challenge is presented to you, you don't usually go with the first thing you think of. Right. You're interchanging different elements, seeing if you can elevate or completely eradicate something that you're thinking of, and you're trying to formulate this dish. But at the same time keep those ideas to the forefront of your mind because you might have to have a plan be right, because what a plan ad During the cook, something happens is completely abolished, and you've got to go with a plan. Be walking into the kitchen. You're not going to be stuck on just the one idea. You're going to be having a few ideas going in your head to try and execute the best possible dish.
Speaker 1: I wondered whether or not there was some clues though in what the judges said to you very early on about just using the carrot jew and it being too sweet. I thought maybe at that point that might have been a clue for you to maybe offset that flavor by adding something to it, Yeah, balance out the sweetness. I wonder whether or not, See I'm I'm an overthinker, but I wondered whether or not there was something you could have done to that jew that might might have elevated it.
Speaker 2: Look, from the minute I heard the challenge to the minute the cook was over, I was overthinking the entire thing throughout the whole process, which is why it ended up being my lead confident dish. You know, I had second guessed myself throughout the whole thing. Andy and John Christoph came up to me and questioned a zoo and you know, I'd already been bulling over at a million miles an hour in my own head about all the different things I could potentially do or could not do, and I just found it so hard to stick to something. And even then, you know, I probably should have changed you after their concern, but I had gone through a million other ideas him. I had already I was just going to back myself with what I was doing.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it still was ambitious that you were trying and sticking with that dish, do you know what I mean? Like, I think that still what the show. That's the magic of the show is that you're looking to inspire the audience with being able to create things that maybe a little bit other worldly or things that you know, not everyone would be thinking of. I'm certainly going to try and make a stake out of a out of carrots at some point, and I'll get back to you.
Speaker 2: Now there's something there. I'm confident there's something there.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just wasn't executed to the best of its ability. But you know, I've got something posted on my Instagram now where I kind of redeem myself, and I hope not that everyone can taste it. But I hope based on the dish that I made to kind of redeem that cook.
Speaker 1: You don't need to redeem anything, my friend. You have done so well in this competition like that that adding to what your story is online with what it is that you can do at home is just the cream on the top, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I appreciate that, Ben, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's crazy at this stage of the competition. Circling back to sort of what I was alluding to before about what Poe had said, do you feel like that your individual's style was starting to form at this point of the competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, because I think from the time he went away to Bend to go up until this cook, like I had such a good string of cooks in a row and I was doing really well. I was starting to hit my stride, but I was kind of overdue a lackluster cook and I it was just unfortunate it happened to fall on the black paper and Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's just unfortunate. I mean, it's sometimes the luck of the drum. And it's why this competition still to me so many seas and in is so interesting to watch because you're living and dying by your cook every episode. It's a ruthless concept. I'd be annoyed about the fact that I've seen that the rest of them are going to go to Hong Kong. Did you get upset about not going to Hong Kong? How many how many cooks off Hong Kong were you?
Speaker 2: I don't think I as many cooks off? Maybe probably two more eliminations. I probably would have been part of that Hong Kong trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate I've got fomo. I have Fomo. I've got foma.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right. I'm trying to keep it at rest, though I'm trying not to show it.
Speaker 1: When they bring you back, they'll do it. They'll do it another one. They'll go somewhere better.
Speaker 2: Yeah hopefully. Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: You can take them back to New York for you know, a New York cook. That would be so I'd love to everyone. I've been asking these questions and they're bastard questions, but can you can you tell me who your favorite is that's left in the final ten and who you want to cook? And I don't. I can't have more than one. You've got to just pick one. It's ruthless. Oh dear, they're bastard questions. It's fine, they are.
Speaker 2: I formed such a tight connection with every contestant that was there. I would be over in the moon for whoever wins.
Speaker 1: No pick one, just one, just one person. It's a horrible and no one's going to care. No one's listened. None of the of them are listening to this. And if they are, you know, we've already put in the buffer of everyone was amazing, but just one that you would like to see them?
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're gonna make me throw my friends under the bus. They're going to be gutted that I didn't pick any of them.
Speaker 1: No, because then you always just come up with something else. You say to them that I was under pressure and I couldn't think and it was always you, and you tell that to everyone.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jill, darsh Jill and Alex, this is Ben's fault. Okay, put me on the spot. But unfortunately I'm going to pick some me because she is the sweetest person I've ever met in my life. She was, you know, the exact mom figure I needed throughout the competition. She was there when I needed her most. For any conversations. She was the first one to hug you after every cook. But she also just knows how to have fun. You know, she's a she's a woman that loves her whiskey. And we'd have a few good nights on the Whiskys and.
Speaker 1: I would love that from her.
Speaker 2: I wasn't think, no, that's right exactly, but no, she's just you know, the kind of soul, kind of person, most beautiful person I've ever met. And I would be over the moon if she if she won, just as well as I would be for everyone else.
Speaker 1: That's the most surprising thing about the Whiskey since talking to the contestants that were in Julie Goodwin's last season, and they told me that she had an electric guitar that she would play, you know, back of the accommodation. She'd be, yeah, cooking up food and playing an electric guitar. And I was like, I didn't see that coming. I really didn't.
Speaker 2: That's wild, right, Yeah, And you wouldn't pick me to be a whiskey aficionado either, No, but.
Speaker 1: I'd be there for that, I reckon. That's a woman that A tuggle foot story or two. After a couple of uys, and she doesn't look like that perfectly, they would overserve herself either. She's the type of lady that just you know, have a really good whiskey until you were really.
Speaker 2: Exactly you know, anyway exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So who's your favorite judge? There's four of them this year, everyone's talking about four of them. Fans have their favorites, and the contestants certainly have their favorites. This year, who did you catch with the most?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I didn't expected going into the competition, but John Christophe is the one I connected most of it. He's just again, another beautiful person who's super kind, was always making time to make sure that he can give help or pointers wherever he could, or share any of his knowledge. But he was also just so genuinely attached to all of our stories and thoroughly impressed that we were just you know, home cooks that took a chance on this competition and showcased ourselves like this on a national stage like this. But he he cared so much, you know, he was the first person in, last person out, constantly trying to talk to us, even though they were a strict schedule to stick by. But no, he was the best for sure.
Speaker 1: He's really surprised me. At the start, I thought he was like the Cheff from the Muppets and I yeah, But then after watching episode as they've gone on, you know, you can see that he really cares. You can see the connection to everyone. I have to go, I've run out of time. But the last question I ask everybody is what is something from behind the scenes, something that we as an audience didn't get a chance to see from your time on Mastershift, kind of like you're behind the scenes master Cheft secret Oh for.
Speaker 2: Any future, our future people who would would like to be a contestant on the show, I think one thing you have to practice is being able to sleep anywhere. Sometimes the days can be exhausting. Sometimes you just didn't get enough rest of the night before, so you're throwing a towel over your head, or you're a jumper and you're sleeping wherever you can, and sometimes not the most comfortable places, but just trying to reach charge those batteries. So I reckon this, you can get away with sleeping on the benure on the floor. You'll be all right, I reckon.
Speaker 1: That's that's my calling. I'm my friends think I'm like a cat because they're like I can sleep anywhere. They're like, literally, I can lie down at any point of any time of the day and be asleep within like one minute.
Speaker 2: Man, exhaustion would have been no problem for you. Then you would have been fully rested at all times.
Speaker 1: I love it, mate. Can I just say, like, like Australia, I'm going to be in your audience, watching your journey from where you take this. There's so much opportunity there for you. I could feel that. I can feel that in our chat today, So good luck with where you want to go and yeah, while being your audience.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Ben, I really appreciate it. Thank you,