Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast, Hey little ones, as we talk. As I talk right now, I'm currently undressing Amandarin mandarins have been in season lately. I've been eating these ones called d lights. I haven't really been in my fruit era. I eat a banana for breakfast as part of my Wheatbix routine.
Speaker 2: But is that one of the good manda urins. I haven't had one this season. Then somebody recommended me to go get some, and I was like, oh my goodness. The only one I had a couple of days ago was so dry, like desert dry, no liquid, just it was terrible.
Speaker 1: There's two types. There's one. I don't know what the brand is, but it's shit. And the other day I went to Woolwards and I asked the guy working, I'm like, which one is better? He's like, just just open two of them and have a taste my Woolwords fresh Food King.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, So I tried while and it tasted. All I can say is it tastes like an asshole seedless. It had seeds in it, and it tasted like yeah, and also like some mandarins. I have two associations with mandarins. The first one is when I was in primary school and mom would give me a little mandarin in the lunch box and it tasted like flowery, Yeah, terrible flowery. And it also smelt like artificial mandarin style, so it smelt really strong but tasted really crap. But this matter that I'm having now, I started getting into mandarins a few weeks ago when Louis McCurdy, one of the producers that cater brought a mandarin in.
Speaker 2: Not a producer, assistant content director.
Speaker 1: Oh to me, content and production is the same thing. It's not anyway, Louis knows.
Speaker 2: My assistant host.
Speaker 1: Nah, well, I don't believe in titles. So anyway, he brought in a mandarin and it was so young, and he gave me a little segment, so do you like? But anyway, I digress. What we're talking about today is what is it?
Speaker 2: FLEXI? So basically for me was noticing how often I talk about the apocalypse. But like many people think, it's I don't don't throw up bab and you pecked it at me too, Why don't you peel off the white bits before you handed it over?
Speaker 1: I like the extra fiber.
Speaker 2: Where's the showmanship? The decorum. Can I speak if we was talking about how I talk about the apocalypse a lot and assumed, like most people, that I was being facetious or that I will fear mongering, fear mongering or yeah, maybe trying to like fear monger in a in like an unfriendly way, And I'm like, no, no, no, I think that people are not prepared for a reality that real people are living right now, and that kind of ignorance is the most unsafe thing about it. Like, yes, we're all gonna die one day, but in the meantime, what would make life more enjoyable is not being in denial about what our future is going to be.
Speaker 1: Like really opened my eyes, I try. Anyway, before we start this popping in your mouth.
Speaker 2: The thing I do like about mandarins is the taste. But it's a lot of labor or what could be subpar se.
Speaker 1: No, I just read because it's like an orange, but you have to cut an orange.
Speaker 2: But you know what's so funny that I hate chewing sounds? But I know what I hate more than chewing sound?
Speaker 1: Can I guess?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Mouth sounds? No farts?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah? But okay, wait, is it give me a clue.
Speaker 2: It's about the mouth.
Speaker 1: Oh, spit in the corners of the mouth.
Speaker 2: That's gross, But not that.
Speaker 1: Give me another clue. No, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: I like games.
Speaker 1: It's about eating, oh, chewing with your mouth open, having stuff enough.
Speaker 2: But I just don't like messy eaters. If I see sauce on your face, if I see like the mouth, I think you can chew with your mouth open in a disgusting way.
Speaker 1: Disagree.
Speaker 2: And I think what made me really aware of it is my family choose food in a way that I don't understand as a picky eater, because they would eat things that I would eat and that was terrible. But the ware they chew it and like the mouth sounds like it looks so delective people who are ugly eaters. It's not for me.
Speaker 1: Far out you should do the badcast. Okay.
Speaker 2: And this is the thing. I have a question. And I only thought about it recently because somebody had told me that I'm quite generous with how I spend my money.
Speaker 1: I think it was me?
Speaker 2: Was it you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was the context?
Speaker 1: It was more generous? Like, for example, we were at an event recently and you offered to drive everyone home. I thought that was generous, and given the petrol prices, particularly generous.
Speaker 2: This is in particular to money. I think the context was somebody asking about splitting bills and whether or not it should be itemized or should one person just cover it, or like how free are you with it? And I always think, if you've got it, you should share it, And I don't think in the context of friendships, I think it's very clear to know who has and who doesn't have it, Like, I don't think we need to split everything three ways. If someone out earns you triple like relax, you can copy it for the team only if you want to. Though, when it comes to my good friend money lender, if I want to have an experience that you don't have the coins for at the time, I'll pay for it. I don't even think I have the expectation of seeing that money back because I know how people are. It's like, if you didn't have it to begin with, where are you getting it to pay me back in the next six months? You just don't have the money, So for me, it's like parting with it earnestly and saying like I am honoring in my head that I'm giving it to you for the benefit of the experience we're about to have. And if that's the cost to have this experience, then I don't think that. I like, I'm expecting it back. But what about you? What is your perspective on lending money to friends? Have you ever had somebody ask you in particular or would you offer up money to a friend for an experience, a lunch, a dinner without the expectation of having it back.
Speaker 1: I would like to start actually by asking you, when did you decide that you have enough money to be shouting other people? When did the penny drop.
Speaker 2: From the jump? I have a very generous family, Like we're working class, but I saw raised in the church obviously, and a big part of that is being generous and like giving you know what you have, or making sure that you know while you're eating good, the person next to you isn't going hungry. So I remember, like every Sunday, my mum would make a bunch of food, like I'm talking six different stews or whatever to take it to church and just like feed people and be like, hey, take some dinner home or whatever. It's just something that she did, and I didn't think of it as being generous, but it definitely created an environment where the expectation was like, don't be stingy. The phrasing was don't give with a closed fist as well, like if you're going to give someone something, whether it's like a favor, access to something, whatever, just do it and let it go.
Speaker 1: The thing that I always think about this is again like it sounds like that was an environment that fostered it. You become more stingy the more stingy people that you're around. There's nothing worse than being on the receiving end when you agree to pay for something and then it just furstens you the whole time, and it's never a place like it makes you more of a stingy person to others. It's like the smile thing. The more you smile, the more smiles your back singy aire the more it becomes. And then like, for example, I've always been in like friendship grew so growing up, I was in friendship groups that were stingy with each other, and then now as an adult, for example, I had all my girlfriends over for dinner last night. Everyone's bringing wine and chocolates and saying starters, can I bring hot chips? Like everyone's pitching in and it makes you want to go and buy the best ingredient to get a beautiful natural wine, and it creates such a more beautiful experience. But it's definitely a very special thing. And I don't think many people get that often. I will say on your thing about like people earning three times more than others, the fact that you know the idea that they should get the bill. I don't agree with that one what.
Speaker 2: Make should get the bill? But I think be reasonable about like the experiences you want to have access to, Number one. I think that to me, I'm like, what is the function of money for myself? Right? Like what do I make money for?
Speaker 1: It's like, what do you make money for to live.
Speaker 2: A nice, easy, pleasurable, generous life but not alone? Like what is what is the benefit of going to the nicest restaurant if your friends can't come with you? That is so lame? What is the benefit having perks of stuff if you can't do it people you'd like? I hate that, So I don't think it's like an expectation that you should. But for me, I want to enjoy with everyone, and so like the value of the shared experience means more to me than the small expense. I know I can make back in a second, Like it's chill for me this memory. We might not get another opportunity, Babe. There might not be a Coachella to go to. You know, there might not be a Garner to go to. Now there's coins to take us there, we must go.
Speaker 1: That's very nice. I'm not sure if I'm the same. Just say you're stingy and go babies, Okay, you know what, I'll wear that because I am not going to pretend I want to get everyone's expectations to be low. It's like when you're in the lottery.
Speaker 2: But I'm talking about friends like you still have it. Oh oh, she said, leave them who bite? All right, Pete, Well, the more you know, and I don't think that's a good or bad answer. Like you said, our younger experiences are dictating how comfortable we feel or don't feel, and also the environments that we are in the generous family and very generous friends and not just money. I'm talking like generous with love, abundant thinkers, and so this just feels like a self fulfilling prophecy where it's helping me do this easily. I don't know Stingybinches.
Speaker 1: It can go the other way. Like my head's very generous with money and with helping people, like he's one little stop on the side of the road to like help you help fix your car. He won't fix it, like, he'll make it worse, and he'll probably yell at you while he's doing it, but he'll be the one to stop, you know what I mean. But seeing our people will take advantage of his financial sharedness. That's why me and my sister is stingy because we've seen people take advantage of it and we like fudge that. So yeah, it goes both ways. Flex and Frooms. I often think about what I want my future to look like. And when I'm here in Kbu Flexi, you talk about the future a lot. I guess you would say you would consider yourself a futurist in some respont futurists reading a lot about the future about AI and you talk often about the apocalypse in our recordings together, though I go, damn, you talk about the apocalypse a lot. I don't want to say it makes me depressed, but like I know people that I think would listen, Like sometimes I'll be like, Oh, it doesn't matter because everything's going to end anyway. And I get blowback from my friends saying, that's really depressing when you say that. You're not allowed to say that around me.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, common boundaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess I wanted to know. You talk about the apocalypse, you talk about things ending and everything descending into chaos. If that does happen, like you're predicting, how are you gonna deal with that? What are you going to do in your life? I want to hear everything.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say that I think we are in the apocalypse now. Broadly speaking, the apocalypse is when things the pendulum swings so far in the other direction that life is not what you know it as that's happened far too many times in our lifetime, such as COVID lockdown, climate change, Like all of these things are quite apocalyptic in nature, and I think because they're happening spread apart, we're not seeing how severe it is. But there's like locust plagues in East Africa and in Arizona a couple of years ago it was so hot that street signs were melting. That is apocalyptic to me. But I feel as though we're able to put on our peripherals and you know, block ourselves out from seeing it. Therefore we think it doesn't exist. So I think we're doing it now. I really feel like the apocalypse would just be taking phone calls and like having deadlines and thinking that there's like a bigger purpose to your labor in society. That would be it. If things descend into chaos like the movies would have, it seemed the ground opens up, the media is about to hit, or whatever. I'm going rogue babes. I'm a true neutral. We did our alignment test a couple weeks ago. It's like this personality test that dictates how you see the world and how you act, and I got true neutral. I'm self interested. I do what I want for me when I want, because I want. That is a lifestyle I'm cranking into. I'm gonna start looting if I can think of my life without responsibilities, free agent, doing road trips, looting, eating snacks, making friends, partying, having chit chats, learning how to barter, setting up like a secondary capitalistic society, like a life will be burning. Man, let's barter in trade. I'm really excited for that, though I do think, you know, the other way that I see is that you know, we don't get stripped of our life, but it's the little luxuries we get stripped of, you know. Like I think it's a luxury for us to be able to like have our identities and to claim our identities and to live lives as separate, hyper individual people. Because give it a couple of years, maybe a couple decades, and we'll we'll be wearing gray suits and will be numbers. And our only function is to keep the world going. Because if you think about it, this society that we've created only runs if enough people work to keep it going. Like the plumbing and the firefighters and the rubbish bin people and the delivery drivers and all of them. We don't have access to those things unless somebody does it. The farmers, the abattoir people. So if everybody stops, there is no even bare minimum for anyone. So I think what will end up happening is it will become these just like workhorses, no name, just number grade clothes. Clock in, do your job, go home, wake up, clock in, But not do your job so you can make money for your own personal life. It's just do your job to do the job. Do the job so the world keeps running.
Speaker 1: That could be nice, not for me. I'm gonna be going on an island for someone else.
Speaker 2: I still need my snacks, so.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna just stock up on chocolate and I'll be chill. Literally, I will admit when we talk about it, flex it worries me. I'm glad that I've heard your perspective on it because it makes me feel more hopeful, because I have this dissonance where I'm like, you talk about all these things, but you like the luxuries that capitalism affords us and the way that we're living right now. So and I know that you're very hypothetical, but I wonder what you would actually be like in that scenario. You think you could survive.
Speaker 2: It, well, it survive it like I survive capitalism now, Like I'm not into Nile about what's required to live well in the society we're living in now. And I think that's why I'm the way I am. Like if I like when I was younger, everyone's like, did you always have an entrepreneurial spirit? No, I wanted an iPhone. I couldn't afford it. So I've got a job and I got two jobs and then three jobs. You know what I'm saying, Like, my aspiration in life is not to work or be good at a job. I just want things. And this is just what was required to get said things. And now you know, you build a personal brand, you keep doing the thing to make more things right. But I also am acutely aware of that when we talk about the apocalypse hypothetically, I think it's hard for people in the West, especially to be like it could never get that bad. I'm like, babes, have you heard about North Korea? Like it's currently terrible? Do you know what I'm saying, Like if you heard about like communist regimes, not even that, but like there are worse places to live than Australia. And so when everyone's like we gonna the public could never happen, it's like people live below the poverty line now, people aren't eating now, people don't have electricity and clean water now, and so for us to get there, we're just going to wear real life humans currently about the day to day interesting, which is scary. It's like you think about like let's say ghana, for instance, their biggest export. It's like cocoa cool, Like everyone has nice chocolate because you know Garna provides coca.
Speaker 1: So do you think chocolate's better in Ghana.
Speaker 2: I'm not big on chocolate anyway, so I don't think I'm a good You.
Speaker 1: Need to bring smuggle some back for me.
Speaker 2: Can we bring chocolate back? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I brought some back from Central America. Wouldn't say it's my favorite. I like preservatives and milk, yeah, and a natural milk.
Speaker 2: And then what is like Australia's biggest exporter.
Speaker 1: Like wool, maybe all iron or crude crude oil? I think, yeah, is it?
Speaker 2: But then also I'm thinking like and then you see like North Korea the biggest export is like weapons. Like the world is already scary now we just are afforded a lifestyle where we were. When we think about the apocalypse, it's a foreign concept, but it's apocalyptic now in the worst way right now. Interesting like remember when I was Hurricane Katrina and how long it took for those displaced people to find homes a decade? Like not having clean water in Flint in the middle of America? Like right now, can you imagine having to shower with bottled water for years because your government won't supply water to you, these are not like, right now, the world sucks. So when I say the apocalypse is nigh. When I think about the apocalypse, I'm like, I think about how would we function if we had to do anything terrible for longer than just a fraction of time, Like lockdown would have been the worst thing for some Australians ever. And it's like, okay, so you just got to stay in your amazing house, eating food and working from home. It's like you don't want to be a person's like be grateful you even have a house. But it's those same people who are kind of like the apocalypse is such a foreign concept, could never happen. It's like, yeah, because you think life is your little bubble m. I like it.
Speaker 1: I've gained more understanding of what you actually mean by apocalypse because to me it was not Again, I'm someone that wouldn't even think of it, Like, to me, it's baseless and doing it for gags and it scares people. Of course, it should scare people because we're not.
Speaker 2: Used to that, not prepared at all.
Speaker 1: I remember when COVID first started, I was talking to my mum about it and she was saying, how rickety supply chains actually are in a way that we don't realize, Like if one little root cuts off, it's a domino effect in a way that we have not considered, and we're not prepared for it. And it's scary how unprepared we are for it. Actually came out of COVID so well, all things considered.
Speaker 2: Reminds me when somebody was asking me, you know, why is the fruit and veg so expensive? And I'm like, but don't you understand, supermarket models, it's not the fresh ingredient that's making the money. It's all those unnecessary things like lollies and chips and expensive luxuries that are and the markup on those things that are making these supermarket chains money. So when the it gets really expensive to bring in fruits and veg, they're not gonna like subsize that cost for you because I already don't make money in that area, not enough. It's like if I can buy an orange for a dollar, how much did the grocery store buy it from the farmer fla how many years did it take him or her or them to soil and toil to make that orange? So I can buy it for a dollar.
Speaker 1: Soil and toil. Yeah, I mean the thing that I think about with the apocalypse and particularly the pretty command in Australia. Myself particularly, I hate the idea of getting really rich and then losing it all. So we are leaving a rich, abundant lifestyle. It's going to hit one hundred times worse emotionally an ego wise. When it all falls down. I'm going to have to have some serious recalibrations. They're going to hurt my soul. I'm not prepared personally and internally.
Speaker 2: We'll suffer together.
Speaker 1: They look forward to it. NAT. This is flex and Frooms on Keda.
Speaker 2: The other day, I was doing my daily scroll on the internet. Came across the news that I thought was fake. It is very much real. It's the fact that when Germans leave their rental property they take the kitchen with them. What this is what I said. And at first I was like, yeah, I'm not falling for this trap. Okay, I have internet literacy. I'm not going to fall for everything I read. But I did Google. It took me to the website called Korra, where it's a place where you can ask questions and people answer them.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm gonna say it's for thirteen year olds asking how to kiss a boy.
Speaker 2: No way, The question is when moving. Germans also take kitchen cabinets and parquet floors when selling the apartment as well. Why on earth, after all those cabinets do not fit in your apartments? Are there such special practices in other countries? Someone else said, we don't take the floors, but we do take the kitchen. The reasons why is because we installed it and it costs a lot of money, like ten to twenty thousand dollars. The kitchens typically come from a big manufacturer and consist of standard parts. They can work in many different apartments, and when we leave them, the next renter is generally not willing to pay more than a quarter or a fifth of what we paid for it, and they're betting on being too lazy to take it with us. So, you know, making a point sticking it to the man, being like, it's mine, I paid for it, I'm taking it with me.
Speaker 1: This is very mey behavior. I wially admit that's interesting. I more prefer people to take their own bathroom, Like when I move into my next house, if I have some sort of ownership over it, I will be getting a new toilet. That's number one thing I'm doing.
Speaker 2: See, I felt that when I bought my house. I'm like, the bathroom is the only good place in here. It's not changing, not one thing, not.
Speaker 1: Even the toilet. It's a great toilet, the toilet seat.
Speaker 2: I changed a toilet seat in my last apartment, made it pink litter. But I will say in maybe two serious yeah, yeah, and two homes ago I made. I moved into this really lovely apartment, beautiful wooden floors, beautiful like ceiling cornices, really like nice art deco, but no storage. So I got someone to come in and build a built in. And when I talked to my realtor about it, I was like, yeah, I want to get this built in, but you know I want it. It's mine, so I want to take it when I go. He was like, well, we're not gonna let you do that, and I was like why. He was like, well, if you're gonna add value to the place, it's ours. As I came, ignoring you anyway, So I built the built in cost like thirteen hundred dollars or something ridiculous, but it really high ceilings. Built it. Then when it was time to leave. I was like, well, I'm not moving into a place with high ceilings, so hiring someone to take this down, put it in a moving truck, take to the new apartment. It wasn't going to happen, so I get it by principle and practicality. Too expensive.
Speaker 1: Good to know. I'm very surprised you did that. That's cool. The only things that I've done to my old rentals is nail holes into the walls, so I'm glad you did.
Speaker 2: I don't even do that. I use my command trips, but if it's a mirror, I'll definitely drill into the brick.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms on kit FLEXI. I think it was a few weeks ago. Now. I was telling you about a method that I have when crossing the road. It's a method that I conceived of when I was studying at r MIT in Melbourne about five years ago. I would keep my head held high as a method to continue going in the one direction and not having to falter and go either side of people coming towards me. I've added an extra layer of protection when it comes to me being a pedestrian outside. This is something that I conceived of. Yeah, about a year ago now, so I've been having it on rotation for at least four seasons, and that is when I approach a zebra crossing. Now, just for some context, I have lived around in zebra crossings for again the past five years. There's something that I do is I get very pissed off if people don't respect the zebra crossing. If I'm approaching a zebra crossing and you're also approaching the zebra crossing, you stop. Yeah, you're not going to try and whizz through because I'm one meter away from starting.
Speaker 2: And if the rest of the world had gotten their l's two years ago like me, they would know that, yes.
Speaker 1: But they haven't. They haven't, and where I live, they're seemingly savages trying to get out of the place. But what happens is if I'm walking up to the zebra crossing, like I'm not going to stop. I would sometimes I'm not going to.
Speaker 2: Put it out there. It don't even slow down. I'm gonna give way for you.
Speaker 1: No way I'm going. It's a pedestrian crossing. They have to be careful around it. I am approaching a zebra crossing.
Speaker 2: I trust you. Having strangers on the road I have a lot.
Speaker 1: Of brain tests, Blanche generally don't I it's innocence. I approach the crossing and I start crossing over. I always look, and I give a look. I give a smile. If I'm feeling a little bit down on the day, like I'm wearing something that's a bit gross, I usually keep to myself. I like make myself smaller. But if I'm feeling slag, I'm walking across, I'm doing a little wave. I'm giving a little smile. However, if I'm going across and they're not smiling back at me, I do something very very simple. You move, and when you move, your arms move. I cock a finger out the middle finger as I'm walking, very subtle. I wish you could say, right now, my hands are down by my side. It's definitely a demonstration, and I'm leaving them and there's just one finger cocked towards the direction of the person in the car.
Speaker 2: This is insane behavior.
Speaker 1: Because I don't like that I have gone to the trouble of giving you a smile and you just look at me like an idiot, and so I'm going to give you a little finger up. I don't know, is that a bit Karen esque.
Speaker 2: I always say to myself, I feel like for Me was written by a team of sitcom riders. People don't do this stuff, and it's so intentional and so like methodical and calculated that like, I'm like, how does a real person think of this? Number one, I'm so surprised that someone not smiling back at you, a random person on the street is what's getting you so fired up.
Speaker 1: No, I will, I will add a caveat. It's not that they're not smiling. It's that I'm giving them a warm, genuine smile and they're like giving me.
Speaker 2: A stink high. Warm is genuine?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, when I smile at people, I mean it. I'm a smiley person. My nickname in primary school from the teachers was Smiley because I love to smile. So when I'm smiling someone, and it's especially the people that have like zoomed up and then I've asserted my dominance by continuing to walk and then they give me a greasy.
Speaker 2: But if it's smiling with expectation, then it's manipulative.
Speaker 1: Well no, because no, I want to clarify again, it's because they have physically been giving me the snarley vibe you give.
Speaker 2: Me, give me a facial smiling life. But they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really hard to do. It's just it's making me feel like an idiot, like an idiot sandwich, and I just figure my one tip for life is smile.
Speaker 2: The one tip, the one tip for me has is smile.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and Froomska.
Speaker 2: I have strong opinions about a lot of things. Yes, contrary to popular belief, I don't care about a lot of things. In my herd of horts, I just like talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very something that you have to get acclimatized too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not tied to it. It's just vibes. But the one thing I do have a really strong opinion about is that I don't want to have to live full time with my partner. Not just because of the superficial things like I don't want to merge our esthetics or whatever. No, it's because I recognize that every time I've been in a stage of a relationship where it's like everyday sleepovers and we basically live together, I can't sleep. And I'm not a light sleeper. I'm a very easy sleeper and a long sleeper. I'm knocked out. The issue is I'm sleeping next to big hunks of like warm so like you're messing with my body temperature, the space for the blanket. I'm like, I don't want to share a blanket with a six foot five man. You're taking too much of it. I don't have multiple blankets. Some are decorative, okay, and number three snores and like heavy breathers. All of these things are really annoying to me because I'm sensitive, sensitive hearing, sensitive smell, sensitive taste. I don't like it. And obviously, if I can accurately measure my discomfort from somebody else's comfort, I'm pissed off. If you wake up sleeping well and I couldn't sleep because you slept well, I've got a problem with you. So I'm not I don't want to sleep. I don't want to. I don't want to I don't want to go habitat. But I was doing some googling to see if there's any data to support my preference, because it's always nice to be like I don't like it, and the facts say it's not good either. So I came across this article that said how sleeping with your partner could be ruining your relationship, not affecting it slightly, but ruining it. You're rubbining it, you're ribbon in it. As There's this thing called the Scandinavian sleep method, which is where you sleep with your partner on one mattress but use two duvets, and that is the best combination for happy sleeping if you must sleep with your partner. Are you any preferences on that sleep with partner? You're fully comfortable, you sleep well, you like, you dream well. Maybe you're the irritant.
Speaker 1: Of course I'm the irritant. I don't, it's not but I get up about ten times a night to pee.
Speaker 2: That's not good, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Turning around like I'm lying on my start and then I need to have a pillow between my legs. I'm a nightmare. But the massive reason I want to be in a relationship is to sleep in the same bed as someone I love. It. Really, it's like a thing of mine. Yeah, massive reason it is. It is it's a weird thing that I like.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for a full time best friend that I can and you just want to sleep in the same bed with them.
Speaker 1: Literally last week I slept over at my friend's house because I just like to do with someone.
Speaker 2: You do, okay, listen to this. According to this guy called Neil Stanley, he's an independent sleep expert and he also wrote a book called How to Sleep Well. He said that sharing a bed was linked to wealth or lack thereof. He said that sleeping together is actually a very modern phenomenon and it's actually not natural to sleep together. You hear that? Not natural?
Speaker 1: Laugh, I'm happy to be the exception to the rule.
Speaker 2: He said this. It's only poor people who slept together historically, because if you were rich, you had enough space not to Yet this has become so uncommon that sleeping separately in itself is a trend often called a sleep divorce. And so there's this other person called Sherry Jacobson who's a retired psychotherapist who says that the way we sleep affects how relate to people so much that we shouldn't be willy nilly with it. Like if you actually have preferences, you need to honor them, because not only does it affect your mood and well being, but it affects how and when you can relate to someone. In short, if you don't sleep well, you're a shittier person.
Speaker 1: As in generally or when you're in the bed with when.
Speaker 2: You're in the bed with someone, but also generally it's like it goes hand in hand, like if you generally don't sleep well, you become an irritable person. But if you if the cause of you're not sleeping well is directly tied to a person, you become more irritable.
Speaker 1: To brawling, throwing hands exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So if you're someone who, like through me, really really wants to maintain sleeping together, they said, try the one mattress to dovey, because you get the closeness of being near someone. But if you're able to maintain your own cocoon of comfort, then perhaps it's not going to be as irritating.
Speaker 1: I am going to be buying on one of those beds that has two sides and you can choose the firmness, and then also putting a douvet and then another little blanket the side of my bed that I can I like to wrap myself up. You know that meme which is like people lie on the bed and the blankets just over them, and then you kick it so you can put the blanket under your feet. Yes, I like that, that's my vibe. I like that, but that's obviously hard to sleep with with somebody else. Yeah, I just need to get past that time with someone where you feel like you can't fart in the bed. Get past that and then we can be vibing flex and frooms here on the show Reflex and Fromes. We have a few favorite websites or social media apps that we love to go on. We really do repeat offenders. TikTok, Instagram, Yeah, and Reddit and Cora. Yeah, Cora, I'm Cora, Jason, I'm over Reddit girl. Reddit is a class. Cora is b class for different certain things. Anyway, I was on Reddit and I typed in life hacks. So they've got all different threads if you don't use Reddit, and one of them is life hacks. And these life hacks aren't things you've seen on BuzzFeed or Facebook that have been reshared by your auntie. These are things that are genuine life hacks. And one that I found that I thought you would like is it was under the thing. What is a life hack that would make your life seriously substantially better. So this is a big call, and I quote, if you have trouble choosing flip a coin, why are you While you're waiting to get the result, your mind automatically starts to wish for what it wants, and then you can choose easily.
Speaker 2: So you just explained to me what a coin flip is.
Speaker 1: No, there's an added layer there when you flip a coin. Yes, your mind is going to automatically subconsciously actually want oh see, I see, yeah, because you often do know what you want. Yeah, sometimes it's just hard to admit it, maybe because the road there is going to be hard, or because it contradicts your values. But if you flip a coin in that little split second where it's airborne, you sit and you think to yourself, I really want heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do like that. I don't know what I could coin flip because I feel like a lot of the decisions I have difficulty making are complex, like they don't often just affect me. It's the knock on effect of like, I know what I would choose for myself, but in choosing what I want for myself, I know it's going to negatively impact this person, this person, this person, this person, this person, And that's why it's difficult.
Speaker 1: Would you do it anyway? Do what do the thing that would affect the people?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I always choose myself. But it's like, there needs to be an appropriate process to do so in which you're not just like shitting on everyone for your own game. You're shitting on everyone in a thoughtful way for your own game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you considered how badly this is going to affect their.
Speaker 2: Life, and you've thought about it, and they know you've thought about it, and you're like, I've had to choose me though, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I just love when things that people do thoughtlessly, like flipping a coin, you can actually add more psychological analysis on top of it. And this one is a great one. It's very simple.
Speaker 2: So I love that one. You have me for a second.
Speaker 1: I know this is why you don't trust me. We need to gain some trust in my intellectual abilities because they're being undermined. But yeah, flip a coin and we'll decide who is going to do the outro of this.
Speaker 2: Ready, Do we have coins?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have a coin on on Like, do you know what?
Speaker 2: I have this distinct memory while frim is getting a coin of knowing exactly who was walking in my house at any given time because of the way their keys with jangle, so my mum had extra jangly keys. My brother would like often clear his throat. My other brother would speak as he entered a room.
Speaker 1: Now our producer Brookwood fart or Burt Leafbrooklow, I've been ducks.
Speaker 2: I didn't think I'd ever become like a jangly key person. I was like, what do you need more than one key for?
Speaker 1: I wish you could say flex's keys right now, they're literally bigger than her head.
Speaker 2: Literally do you have a like a.
Speaker 1: Thing that tells you if they're away from you?
Speaker 2: No, I should get an air tag because when I have my key, now quick caviar. I've got my office swipe card. I have my safety what do you call it? Like a safety key chain, so like if I open it, it makes this really loud beeping noise when he creep will stay away from me. It's always also got a light on it. Then I have keys for my office, so like there's a swipe card and then a key. Then I have like the house keys, the garage keys, the car keys, my bike keys, my bnner room keys, the other office key, gym's wipe it's too much and then attached to it I have my cardholder because to me, I want all the important things in one place.
Speaker 1: That's very risky behavior.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, Tune Indicata on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.