Speaker 1: Got anything good.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Good morning jack morning guys, Good morning Patsy. Is everyone excited about their weekends? What have you guys got on? Jackie boy?
Speaker 3: What are you up to after the show. I don't know if you'd call this exciting. My job is to find a zucchini spiralizer to make an alternative to noodles.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, yeah, you're doing the low car but yeah, we've got one of those. Be careful. They are worse than a cheese grade at cutting in fingers.
Speaker 3: I hate using the cheese graterer.
Speaker 2: You have to reassemble and it's unassembling it to then wash the thing because it spiralizes the zucchinis, And then to clean it. It's a nightmare getting the little juice and the pippy bits in it.
Speaker 3: And is it worth it? Do they make a convincing noodle?
Speaker 2: I have to say there's something really enjoyable about using a spiralizer. Oh my word, Yeah, it's pleasurable. You do the you sort of impale it on this circul thing and then you're to crank the little handle. It's like a kid's toy and then it goes into the blades of death and it spiralizes it. It comes squirreling, scoiling, scoiling, squalling out. I love doing it, but the cleanup is is, really you will cut your fingers on it every time. They're really dangering passy. What are you up to, mate?
Speaker 4: Well, we're being very adult.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow we're finally going to see a financial adviser over your side of town. Actually, so I'm sort of like.
Speaker 3: Lor out of trouble. Do I not have any finance guys.
Speaker 2: Out of the room? Probably not, ass Jack.
Speaker 4: So we're doing that tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Talking it's very your weekend as well. Oh my god, bloody hell in the.
Speaker 1: Year like probably twenty sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had Sarah and I have to have the meeting with the financial planer this week. It's very it's depressing. You're like very clear that I can never retire.
Speaker 4: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: It was based on the teenager's university and then one of them saying I might do another degree after Oh great, will you I'll just add on all that Hex's debt to me. Just check it on my back. I've been in radio shows until ninety.
Speaker 3: And then your wife is going back to do a degree.
Speaker 2: Is she's going to Yeah, so I'm the only literally, there are three students in the family. Now I'm the only one with the job.
Speaker 3: But someone has to play the heck, yes, well.
Speaker 2: Tell you it is me. No retirement for me. Yeah. Those conversations are heavy, aren't they.
Speaker 4: I know, and we haven't done them.
Speaker 2: Before we start thinking how much can we live?
Speaker 1: We'll be living on two minute noodles.
Speaker 2: That is so grown up, I know.
Speaker 4: But I feel very sensible and very I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, I feel good about it that it's like, no, we're putting pressure.
Speaker 2: You got to do it. Yeah, yeah, Tomorrow big reunion. Ruby, our twenty year old daughter, has been traveling for the last four weeks around Thailand and Cambodia. We haven't seen her. We see her tomorrow. We have a reunion dinner. Can't wait, right?
Speaker 3: How is she as well?
Speaker 2: She is. They've had a great time. They have had a really great time. Do you know what. I'm proud of her. It's such a big thing when your kids go where you'll have the misordie right, It is a sign that you've done it right that they can actually go to another country, especially place that cam in ty end where you're worried about if anything happens, what the hospital is going to be like, and stuff like that. And for several days, no phone calls, no text and you really have to don't want to keep bantering them.
Speaker 3: No, you gotta let them be adults.
Speaker 2: You know that's what I had. But I'll tell you what, it's really really really hard, really hard, and there's been a part of me that hasn't been able to relax until it's like them coming back to nest Right the moment that she lands, I can then go, okay, this is part you can't turn off, even even nighttime. During the night I wake up and night right now. Yeah, And also some of the places she's been staying like we did when we go traveling, they're like ten or eleven dollars, right.
Speaker 3: And it just like what it would have been. Okay, they're going to be safe.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to be safe. But they have had a hair and a boyfriend, what experience they have had such an adventure, But we've got that live three sixty I've had to stop looking at because there's me down to the bottom of Australia. And then there's really like traveling around Cambodian like state parks where there's like there's there's nothing around. So in the big reunion tomorrow, lots of clothes to be washed as well. So yeah, that's the highlight of the weekend for us. Coming up next and we get into this week's Double thumbs Up, It's Gold one four point three, a Christian O'Connell show podcast. Let's get into this week's double thumbs Up. This is where me, Jack and Pat's talk about the things we're into at the moment, what we're enjoying and what's lighting us up. Patsy, What's I for you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really a great book to read, especially at the moment with the rise of anti Semitism in the community. It's a beautiful book by Eddie jacku the Happiest man on Earth.
Speaker 4: It's not a brand new book. It's been around for a few years.
Speaker 2: I've read that, Yeah, I read it quite a few years.
Speaker 4: He was living in Sydney.
Speaker 1: He's passed away now, but he wrote this most spectacular book about his time.
Speaker 4: As a prisoner of war as a child.
Speaker 1: And yes, it's a very grim subject obviously, but it is so enlightening and what it is is it's a story of forgiveness in what was hell on Earth and also finding happiness in you know, such a terrible situation and how we make our own decision to be happy in any situation.
Speaker 4: I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's so, it's a great reading.
Speaker 4: Oh it's beautiful. I'll read it again. I know Relent Whips someone.
Speaker 2: Recommended to me when I moved here, actually when I was looking for great Australian books and someone recommend that. And really it's an incredible read, very powerful outlook, such.
Speaker 4: A beautiful outlook. After all he came through.
Speaker 1: The other thing that we've watched over our break was a six triple eight on Netflix and it's based on a true story.
Speaker 4: It's based on the story of these.
Speaker 1: Women who were the biggest at the first and the biggest squadron of women to serve overseas in World War Two, and Oprah has helped produce it. She also has a role in the film. And it's a story of these women who were sent overseas essentially to sort the mail. They had this backlog of mail in World War Two which was such a lifeline for the troops and kept their spirits up to get you know, packages from Home and Word for Home and they just had this massive backlog and they sort of sorted through like something like seventeen million items of mail in three months and they set up base in Scotland. And it's absolutely gorgeous and it's a story about really discrimination that they faced as women and as black women, and it's it's really inspiring. We sat and watched it with Audrey, which if you've got a daughter with the girl.
Speaker 2: Shara and my wife Sarah and the girls they were watching together. I was with a friend. I came back in the evening. They were all in tears. Yeah. Now they were really moved by it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, it was beautiful and these women talk about the discrimination. Two of them were killed in the line of duty and they weren't even acknowledged by the services by the American Army. There was no funeral, no grave site, and they had to pass the hat around to pay for these women's help.
Speaker 2: You, but the story is being remembered now.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Oprah's had a massive part in it. It's a beautiful story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They absolutely loved it. Yeah, yeah, I heard the story. I didn't know anything.
Speaker 1: About it, did we We were just flicking through and I thought, and we wanted something to watch with Audrey, and I thought, this looks really great and it was so not only if you've just got a daughter, just everyone will enjoy it.
Speaker 4: The six Triple eight on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Great, thanks Pats. We'll take a break. When we come back, we'll get into this week's double thumbs up for jacking out The Christian O'Connell show podcast. All right, Jackie boy, what have you? I know it's hard because you know you've got a three year old, so you haven't got as much time to watch TV and stream.
Speaker 3: It's not even about the TV. It's now that anytime the TV's on, we're watching Disney for Frozen, Moanna. It's always the same ones as well. The Grinch. We would have watched. They made an animated version of The Grinch where Bennette Cumberbatch is the Grinch.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, great voice.
Speaker 3: Good movie. But once you've watched it one hundred times, it's just again and again and again and again and again.
Speaker 2: It's audmental cruel.
Speaker 3: How do they not we've seen it happened Christmas?
Speaker 2: Why do we want to watch again? Terrorist to talk, It's just make them more those Keys movies again again again.
Speaker 3: So I've had very little access to the TV TV, but it means I've been picking up a lot of books. I read one of my favorite books over Christmas, and that was Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keith. He's become my new favorite author because I was also read Empire of Pain last year. Empire of Pain was about the opioid epidemic in America and the Sacla family who got rich billionaires billions and billions of dollars, got rich of a lot of devastation, and then he wrote this, this true story about the IRA and the troubles in Northern Ireland. Man, I had no idea for reading it. Right, I've read it. I didn't know that you would have read someone of that. It's an incredible story. I bet it's hard to believe. It's impossible to believe. I really didn't know much about the IRA at all, and I just can't believe that it was like within like the generation before us, it was within our time.
Speaker 2: So I adapted it for TV. I saw that I started watching this on Disney play Say Nothing. It is brilliant. Hard watch it times to see it actually dramatized, but it is brilliant It's outstanding, Yes, very good.
Speaker 3: If you want a non fiction book that reads as fast and it's page turning as a fiction, Patrick Radden Keefe's amazing. It's called say Nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay for Me? Then Bliss Last Weekend. It was transported back to the nineties and the two thousands. Tom Green. Tom Green. Without Tom Green, right, there's no punk, there's no jackass. He was a real visionary. Right. There's a brilliant documentary that he's made himself called this is the Tom Green Documentary. You used to do a TV show called The Tom Green Show, and it was a brilliant visionary show. All that reaction stuff that now it's a lot of the stuff we see on Instagram with the kids are all making. He literally pioneered that. It was like a demented letterman. The documentary, it's an hour and a half. I'm a big fan of Tom Green. I remember getting videos sent over from America of the early days of his shows before he went to MTV.
Speaker 3: Tom Green Show.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? So you remember? I can remember at the top of the head the Pizza Undercutter. I still watched that on YouTube. Now makes me cry. Enough with the slut my bill that he made for his mum and dad and woke them up in the middle of the night. My bum is on the right, the bum bum song, the bum bum song. We've got to play it. The documentary is brilliant, so obviously didn't. He marries Drew Barrymore, becomes a massive Hollywood star, and then it all sorts to fall apart, and now he lives on a farm. He sold his Hollywood home. He lives on a farm back where he grew up in Canada. Still a touring stand up all over and a brilliant stand up and he's got a new special out actually on Prime where the documentary is. It's a brilliant look back at the nineties and two thousands. We all grew up during that time and Tom Green was a real visionary. It's nice to see his story being told and people appreciating for how good he was.
Speaker 3: People don't even realize he was at the forefront of making your own big empire podcasting before there was Joe Rogan, before there was much.
Speaker 2: Joe was on it saying he came on, Tom did a thing, he got he left MTV, and then he realized that the internet was going to become a very big thing, and so he created this thing called Webbovision. He made a check show that sometimes I used to love watching it. Some episodes would be four or five hours. He built a chat show set in his house. Yeah, paid for all the equipment, and you have guests on and it was Rogan was a guest on it, and Rogan was like, this is going to be a thing. I want to I want to do something like this. So he called it Webbovision, and of course that went on to become podcasting. So the documentary is brilliant. It's an hour and a half and it's a really great story and there is so much nostalgia in there as well. This is a Tom Tom Green documentary that's on Prime. I love that. The other thing I started listening to brilliant new podcast, The Telepathy Tapes. It is barely believable what you're hearing. It's literally about that. It's incredible, The Telepathy Tapes. And new favorite TV show, a medical drama for grown ups. If you loved Er and I loved Ear the Night, it's a groundbreaking TV show. One of the stars of it was Noah Wiley. He's in this new show called the Pit You've seen the adverts around, has been nominated for loads of Emmys. It's fifteen hour long episodes, and it covers a fifteen hour shift in an American public Health system hospital. It's a miss. It is so good. The pet is your new favorite TV show. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast