Speaker 1: Hi, guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura and I'm Brittany, and Happy Tuesday. Life is. It is a good week to be alive.
Speaker 1: It is a good week. Do you know what a lot is happening? Melbourne? You're about to join us in freedom And I honestly cannot tell you how friggin' happy I am that New South Wales is out of lockdown. That's Melbourne's about to be out of lockdown and join us. I know that there were so many people on social media this week who've just been celebrating that's happening on Thursday. We have the Bachelorette starting on Wednesday, which also means, guys, we may or may not, but I think it's more may undecided. No, no, no, we've decided made Jay is making a comeback and we will be doing some bachelorette. Ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, how long has Matt been standing at the door waiting for that moment?
Speaker 1: You just scared the absolute shoot out of me just then.
Speaker 2: I haven't brushed my teeth, so very conking me.
Speaker 1: This is real close. We're sharing a microphone.
Speaker 2: Matt lucky that none of the listeners can actually smell your breath. But thanks for letting Australia know that you haven't brush your teeth. Well, I'm more so worried about Laura because we're sharing the one mike here. But yeah, very excited to come back.
Speaker 3: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great. How long were you waiting at the door for us to mention that so you could burst in and have your moment. I've been there for an hour and a half. My legs are cramping. I had to go to the bathroom, but it was worth it. I had to wet my pants.
Speaker 1: There's a puddle on the floor outside. Okay, so look that is happening. That Chohan cut is coming on Thursday. Brit is out of quarantine and very soon we'll be reunited in real life. It's just a good week, guys.
Speaker 2: It's like we're so close, but we're so fast. I came out of quarantine last week. As you know, I quarantined in Adelaide. Well actually maybe some of you don't know, but I quarantined in Adelaide and that was just because that was the only flight I could get back. The only place in Australia that would take me was Adelaide, So I was like, wherever, I will go anywhere. But what it means is because I was in Adelaide, which isn't classified as a hotspot, I was able to fly to Queensland and see my family. So if I went back to New South Wales to see you immediately, Laura, which I wanted to do, I wouldn't have been able to see the fam. So I just like, I just grabbed the opportunity why it was there, and I flew straight up to see my sister Sherry, my brother Mitch. I haven't seen him in a year, so that was quite nice. And I'll be back in just a few days and then we'll be doing this face to face after what feels like forever.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could just sit in another room and we can still record over zoom. I've gotten so used to it now. Don't know what it's going to be like to see you in real life and touch you. I'll have like first date, Jitters.
Speaker 2: We probably won't be we probably won't be able to talk. We're gonna be like what do we do now? What do we do in real life?
Speaker 1: Well, also just on the whole, like you know, I mean, everything else feels like it's getting back to normal. I can't tell you. Yesterday, Matt and I we went for a walk down in Bondai and there were people outside doing salsa, dancing on the promenade. There were people with bongo drums. It was honestly just the happiest, the happiest I have ever seen Bonda. Everyone was celebrating. But we have still had to postpone the wedding because unfortunately with the Queensland and the borders being shut, Matt's family, Matt's mum, MAT's brothers and my dad, everybody is still in Queensland, so we didn't want to still have the wedding in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: When half your family can't come, the family can't be there.
Speaker 1: So that's one thing I can't believe.
Speaker 2: You were supposed to be married in a few weeks. That is bonkers.
Speaker 1: So for all you life, that's gonna let you in on a little secret. We were supposed to be getting married on the eleventh of November. And it's crazy because now essentially we could get married, the wedding could go ahead in exactly the way that we wanted it to, except just our family wouldn't be there, so we've had to post.
Speaker 2: So not quite exactly the way you wanted to minor technicality with half of the family missing. It sucks from multiple reasons, like it sucks because you can't get married, but it sucks because it was a really good date. It was eleven eleven twenty one. Like Matt would never have forgotten that.
Speaker 1: He probably would still forget it. I mean, to be fair, neither of us are very good with dates. It's not a forte. I don't even know when our anniversary is.
Speaker 2: I mean you do, because it was on a national TV show and we still managed to forget.
Speaker 1: Well, now that we're talking about big news, there is also some other really positive and massive news that has happened in Australia, which Brittain I wanted to touch on today.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It's definitely more serious news, but it's something that I mean, you guys know if you've listened to the podcast for a while that speaking about domestic violence has been something that's been a reoccurring theme on the podcast. It's something that both Britta and I are really passionate about. We did a really important episode with Jess Hill recently. If you haven't listened to that, I'd recommend going back and listening to it. But Australia as of today has just brought out some huge changes, and that is that women who are fleeing domestic violence and who have been subjected to domestic violence in their household will be able and eligible to get a five thousand dollar payout from the government in order to help them to be able to leave and set up a new life.
Speaker 2: And we all know.
Speaker 1: That one of the biggest barriers for women leaving toxic and violent situations, especially in their family home, is that so many of them have been financially restricted and this will allow women to be able to make that next step and to be able to leave a perpetrator. And honestly, I read this in the news today and I just felt so happy that this has finally happened. I mean a long time coming, but I wanted to share that with you guys as well.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely huge and like you just said, Laura, we are so passionate about it, and I guess what is happening is is becoming more spoken about so people like podcasts like us Jess Hill, who is advocating for it. I feel like for a long time people didn't really know what understand what was happening in relationships with domestic vials, what women and children were going through. And I feel like the more we're speaking about it, the more we're making changes. Now this is a five thousand dollars one off payment and it is actually part of a one point one billion dollar women's safety package, so there's a lot more going on behind the scenes. Like I'm stoked for it, but I guess my little worry is that the five thousand dollars is broken into one thy five hundred in cash, and then the remainder of that money is things for food or payment for bonds and school fees, trying to help them get back on their feet with a house, like establish themselves, which is amazing, But my worry is when a woman leaves a situation in domestic violence, ninety percent of the time they leave with nothing but the clothes on their back, a bag for their kids, and n is it like a small bag. They just leave they have nothing. So my worry is that as amazing as this is, fifteen hundred dollars of the cash, it's better than nothing, But we still have a long way to go in how we can support these women. So we're definitely moving in the right direction, but still some things that worry me.
Speaker 1: I guess, Oh, I absolutely agree. I don't think that this is this isn't a solution, and this isn't going to be here. Here's five thousand dollars. This will fix the problem by any means. But I think it's like having something, having some sort of security and financial security to know that if you do leave with just the clothes on your back, that there is some finances there that's going to get you through the first week or the second week. Just why you figure out your next move.
Speaker 2: Oh, this payment alone could be the difference with a woman feeling like she can leave and she can't leave, like this could be the decide.
Speaker 1: And I guess the other part of this is that it's so important to have services, it's so important to have support at the back end of domestic violence, But there also needs to be just as much money and just as much focus being put onto prevention and how do we educate young boys so that they're not continuing this same pattern behavior. The more that we have conversations about it, the more that people become aware of how prolific it is how many women will experience this in their lifetime, and so I mean, I guess it's just another step in the right direction. But Britt, you also have a recommendation for us for today's episode, and I know that this ties in quite nicely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it actually is, and this wasn't planned at all. I was always coming in with this recommendation. But speaking about how important it is for us to speak about these issues more often, I cannot recommend the Netflix series Made enough.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know that a lot of you probably have watched it already. I binge watched it when I was in quarantine. I think maybe two days Max I watched it probably in the day. I put some stories up on my Instagram just saying how great the series was about halfway through, and I had a lot of people riding back saying, Oh, I've just started it. It's so amazing. I loved it, and I have since seen it trending. There are a lot of publications and a lot of people talking about it, and I wanted to add myself into that mix. I cannot recommend it enough. If you don't know what made it is about. It is based on a true story and it is just about this twenty three year old girl in America. Her name is Alex and the whole series is about her. She has a two year old daughter and she's trying to escape an abusive relationship. Now, the abusive relationship, it's emotional abuse and coercive control. There are aspects of violence within it, but it's more about him having really violent outbursts and punching holes in walls and pushing her a little bit like that. And it's about how the next step if she stayed in that relationship would be very, very serious physical domestic violence. Now, what it highlights is and the reason it is so powerful is it shows her struggle to escape and how fucking hard it is she leaves this relationship, and it is almost It highlights the poverty system in America and how hard it is for anybody to get back on their feet and live in a safe environment. It's about she goes around in circles trying to get payments for benefits to help, which is why it's so important we talk about this five thousand dollar payment. It's about her trying to get a job, but jobs won't employ her until she has a residential address. She's like, well, how do I get a residential address without a job. It's constantly highlighting. It has these little thing throughout it, where like every time she spends money, which is like two dollars on some petrol, she'll put like five dollars a petrol in a car and a little bank balance comes up, and it constantly shows how much money she has left, and every single day she gets down to like the twenty cents and she eventually gets a job as a cleaner and a maid. And it just shows the insidious nature of what happens in these relationships when you're trying to leave and how you try and get back on your feet, and nobody is speaking about it. No, there are no Netflix shows, no one has really coveted in this aspect before, and it's honestly mind boggling, and I do not understand how anyone in this situation is supposed to get back on their feet. And I honestly think everyone, every man, every woman, needs to watch this show. I think you can hear how passionate I am in my voice, Laura, like, please watch it. You will just be blown away.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet, and it has come recommended, not just by you, but by every other media outlet recently that I've kind of tuned into. But one of the things that I saw, and Britt correct me if this is wrong, but kind of nothing big happens, as in like there's no prolific or cataclysmic storyline. It's just exploring the very normal. And when I say normal, I mean like the everyday struggles that someone who's trying to leave a coercive control relationship or a domestic violent situation. I think sometimes when we think about domestic violent, we think it has to be violent, like actual physical violence. But from the conversations we had with Jess Hill, from the conversations that we've had with doctor Angela Ja, that's not where it starts. It's this small it's verbal abuse, it's the small put downs, It's the toxicity, and that's how it grows. And I think that the fact that this TV show has been created around the start of what that can look like and not necessarily on the big cataclysmic events that kind of can evolve from a toxic relationship adds a lot of power and adds a lot of weight for women who are in situations where they sit there and they go I don't know if this is considered domestic violence. I don't know if what I'm being subjected to or what I'm experiencing is actually DV, or whether I can make an excuse for it, or whether he's just very hyper emotional or he sometimes has outbursts but he's never actually hit me. I think there's a real gray area there for a lot of people, and seeing it reflected back on a Netflix series makes that gray area and that ambiguity a lot less and a lot more black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what it does is and this is why it's so powerful. Like you just said, you're right, nothing big happens in terms of there's nothing explosive in every episode. It really is just a looking to somebody's reality, the day to day struggles. And even though I'm saying nothing big is happening, you're still hooked. It's still very gripping, it's still very raw. But what I loved the most is, and I'm going to talk about it. This isn't a spoiler, but I'm going to talk about some things. But what I love the most is it really highlights what goes on in these relationships in terms of women. Going back to domestic violence, relationships because we all know it takes well maybe we don't all know, but it does take women up to seven times to leave a relationship for good an abusive relationship. That's how many times that they will go back, five to seven times, which is huge. So it highlights that and it highlights how the justice system still is still a little bit more skewed to the men, and how hard it is to prove your domestic violence. So she didn't know that she had to go straight and file a police report. She thought she could leave straight away and get to safety. But ultimately they were saying, well, you know, did anyone see this happen? And she was like, well, no, it was at home. Did you file a police report? Well no, because I run straight to a shelter. I didn't. I was scared. And because of that, the law leant more towards the male in this situation. And these are things that I mean, we're up in arms about it, but this is happening to women every single day, and I think a lot of the world doesn't know what women are facing every single day when they try and leave these situations.
Speaker 1: Platforming is on a world wide streamer also helps to debunk the stigma and the unnecessary rhetoric around like why didn't you she just leave? You know? And I think that that's what we know is that that's a constant conversation and a constant question that gets asked is like, well, if it was so bad, why didn't you just leave? And there's so many reasons as to why someone doesn't leave. I mean, I haven't seen the series yet, Britt, thanks for bringing You're gonna go watch it now, I'm gonna go watch it. Thank you for bringing the recommendation. Also, guys, if you've been watching it, slide into our DMS if you have any thoughts feelings towards it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love some people to start chatting about it on the discussion group too, because I've been talking about it with people in my DMS singly, but I'd love to see a thread of it, so maybe we can start something in the discussion group. Okay, well, there were some big issues that we got out of the way early. But let's tell you about what today's episode actually is about. Now, today's episode, we are speaking to a woman named Samantha X. Maybe you guys have heard the name of Samantha X. Maybe you know who she is, maybe you don't. Samantha X is one of Australia's well actually, she is Australia's top paid and most well known escort. She came out publicly as an escort probably ten years ago, now quite a long time ago. She was a journalist. She's a very intelligent woman. She's written two best selling books. She was incredible to talk about. We had a lot of requests to actually get her on, or someone in this sex working space on now. It is a space that Laura and I we don't know a lot about. We've obviously never worked in the industry. I've never known anyone to work in the industry, but it is a very very popular industry and we were really in about it. So we thought what better way to learn about it than to get somebody on that has lived it for a very long time.
Speaker 1: So Samantha X being Australia's most high paid escort. I think the thing I loved about this conversation is the fact that we all, and I think all of us, regardless of whether we're conscious of it or not, we all have a perception around what sex work is. We all, you know, I think it's very stigmatized. I think that we can have some very negative thoughts around why people get into working in the industry, what the industry actually is, and speaking to her, I even found that some of my beliefs, some of the things that I thought about it, which had been formed without any real information or knowledge, were being challenged. One of those beliefs is that, you know, Samantha, this is an occupation that she has chosen wholeheartedly, and she also fucking loves it. There's no ambiguity around how she feels about working in the sex industry. She loves being an escort. And I guess one of the parts of this is that she talks about how there is this preconceived idea that everybody who works in the sex industry works in the sex industry because they are dependent on drugs or they need money, they're in a dire place of destitute in their lives, Whereas Samantha X comes into this conversation saying that there is a dark side. There absolutely is a dark side to the sex industry, but there also is a side where so many women, especially in today's society, are choosing to get into sex work because it's empowering for them, it's liberating for them, and it makes them a hell of a lot of money. Now, this conversation in no way is us advocating for you guys to go and get into sex work. This is more so just a really honest and interesting conversation with someone who works in the industry that majority of us don't know anything about. And I think if we're going to make our minds up about something, and we're going to have ideas about our beliefs around something, it's really important to be educated on those ideas and beliefs as well and speak to someone who maybe sits outside of your normal contacts of conversation that you would normally have. And I know, for me, I've never spoken to somebody who is a sex worker and who also speaks about it in a way that they absolutely love it. So I found this a really eye opening and also a very fun conversation. Sex work is still such a stigmatized conversation, and I think for so many people who work in the industry there is still feelings of like, oh, why why would you want to do that? Why would you choose that for a living? But I do also see that your sexuality is having a real moment in the media at the moment, especially female sexuality and female empowerment and also conversations around only fans and so many women are choosing to move into this industry from their own volition. So I hope you guys enjoyed the episode. And before we get into the chat with Samanth X, we have our favorite part of every episode and that is accidentally I'm filtered and awesome.
Speaker 2: We really need to plan that more accidentally unfiltered in the new Confessionals. We love this, We absolutely love you guys have been writing in the funniest shit, but Laura is gonna kick it off this week with an accidentally I'm filtered.
Speaker 1: I am just so happy that two years on, we are still getting so many cooked things that happen, and that as they happen to you, you think I'm gonna write that end to the life on cut Girls, if you have had an embarrassing thing happen to you and you've been holding onto it for the past like year or however long you've been listening to the podcast thinking one day I'm going to write it in. Let this be your calling card. Today is that day? Please write in your accidentally unfiltered But anyway.
Speaker 2: We actually have so many people recently that have written in saying like, Okay, I've been sitting on this for two years, and my sister's been trying to make me tell you every week for two years. I feel like I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, I literally have that one screenshot and save, the one that you're talking about right now. I have that screenshot and save.
Speaker 2: But that's gonna be people that are like, I'm on the side of the road doing the Pooh now. But I felt like I should tell you immediately in the moment.
Speaker 1: I just wish that lesson than we're about poohs. But fucking hell, there's so many poohs.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the.
Speaker 1: Funniest one, all right, this is definitely non Pooh related. When I was twenty one, I worked at a pub in my hometown in Melbourne. I had had a massive night at and I was so so hungover for the lunch shift. I walked into the kitchen and they said, hey, take these to whatever table number it was. So I walked over and there it is. I see Peter Hellier's family and himself sitting there at the table. My brain is so foggy at this point, and I go to call out the meals. So I walk up to the table, but instead of saying, Hi, here's your chicken, Parmesana, I say, Hey, here's your chicken, Peter Hellier What I don't even realize I've said it as I look around for someone to clean the meal. Then all of a sudden, my stomach drops as I realize what I've said. His whole family is sitting there staring at me. He is looking at me dead pan, while one other person is sitting there laughing. Anyway, I hid for the rest of the ship. I just fucking love this. Hi, here's your Peter Hellie your chicken. And also, like you would just kind of be offended a bit. I think I.
Speaker 2: Think would be funny if someone count to me and said, Hey, here's your chicken, Brittany Hockley, I think I would think it was hilarious. Like, I can't believe anyone would be that situation and not find that funny.
Speaker 1: I once did the most embarrassing thing when it comes to celebrities, and I think sometimes you can see a celebrity in real life and not clock who they are, because especially with social media these days, you kind of feel like you're closer to them than what you really are. You know, for example, we share so much about and this is not me saying we're celebrities. We're definitely not like the fucking d grade celebrities of the world, but we share so much of our personal lives on the podcast and on social media. And so when I run into some of you who are listeners on the street, so many of you were like, oh my god, and then this happened, and this happened, And it can sometimes be a bit disjointed because you know so much about our lives and we don't know anything about your life, and so I kind of feel like I'm trying to catch up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I once was walking through Paddington and I saw this girl who I was like, oh, I'm pretty sure I went to school with her. And she was looking at me, and I was looking at her and I was like, oh, hey, babe, how are you going? And then I realized she was Natalie and Broullia.
Speaker 2: How was she like? Could baby?
Speaker 1: She literally just looked at me like, why the fuck are you talking to me? And I was like, oh, so rude. And then dawned on me and I was like, I don't know you. You are so famous, and I just thought, oh, yeah, we went to school whatever. Good to see the loser.
Speaker 2: I don't. Everything sort of happened to me, but not sort of, I mean, like not the same. I'm going to tell you it was not that long ago. Just before I left for overseas, I was in the supermarketing bond die. Now this happens to mill of time, right, I would have seen a guy and I'll be like, have I gone on a date with you? Or have I just have you been inside? Have I just seen you on? Not so much inside me because I don't have that many one night stands, but like, have I do I A how do I know you? Have I met you somewhere in real life? Have we been on a date, or have I just talked to you on Instagram somewhere? Or have I just seen you on Tinder? Like I always get them mixed up at just like what level I've known them? So I was in the supermarket and I saw this guy putting some stuff in his groceries. I was like, fuck. We made eye contact, we looked at each other, and I was like shit, I know I know you, and I was like clocking where from. So I just gave him like a little smile. I was like a half flirty smile, just in case. I was like, just in case we have hooked up, in case you like each other, It's okay, We're like a half flirty smile. Went to the next aisle just like walked past, and then I was racking my brain saw him getting the next aisle smile again, and then it hit me. It was Sam Worthington, and I was like, definitely have not matched you on Tinder. Definitely have not hooked up with you. I think so many.
Speaker 1: People would relate not the Sam Worthington put, but I think so many people would relate to seeing a guy or a girl in public and being like, I don't know if I know you, or oh that's the person who i'd matched with on a dating app. And what do you do if you've matched with someone on a dating app and then you see them in real life? Do you go and say hello?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. And it has happened to me before where someone came up to me in another barn BONDI and they're like, hey, we matched and I was like hey, and he's like, then you go see me And I was like cute.
Speaker 1: You're like, then you don't come and say hello.
Speaker 2: I was like, why did you do that? Then? Now this is so awkward? And I was like, oh, I probably I think I was seeing someone or I don't know, Like, just don't do it. I think that like you can have a smile at someone, but it is very awkward. It's different. It depends if you've actually matched and met up with them or spoke to them, or if you just matched and never had that conversation online. Because I think if you've never had a conversation, you can pretend like you don't know each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you both know that you do know each other. That's the thing. You can feel it. You're like I know that you know that we matched, and you know that I know that we matched, but now we're not acknowledging it, and it's weird and we're both sitting in this cafe. Anyway, that's a thing to unpack on a whole other episode. Bring me your confessionals for today.
Speaker 2: I do just want to add that Sam Worthington he had like grown a big beard, like there was a really he had a hat on and he had a beard, so there's like a reason I didn't quite recognize him. But anyway, I didn't know. I definitely didn't match for him, and he has never been inside me. I just want to put that disclaimer out to the media, like Daily Mail. On that note, I've got a couple of heck confessions for you. I'm gonna start with something cute. Okay, guys, I called the NRMA because my car wouldn't start after the poor guy came on the side of the road. We tried everything. We discovered that the only reason it didn't start because we didn't have it in park loll whoops. Now the best part is my dad insisted to replace the battery because he was worried there was something wrong. I couldn't bring myself to tell the truth, so my car got a brand new battery that my dad paid for for no reason.
Speaker 4: Oh bless, I think it's I would have just told my fucking dad, you just made your dad spend like seven hundred dollars on a new car battery because you didn't put your car in parks.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is very innocent. Also, Like I mean, I'm pretty sure I called NRMA once and then realized I just had no petrol. So fine, We've all been there.
Speaker 2: Happens the best of us. Okay, confessional. I went on a first day to a boy's house. It was going really well, and he was cooking us dinner. Then my worst nightmare started. I started to need the loop. I made an excuse that my contact lens was rubbing so I could quickly go and do my pooh before dinner. So I've done the pooh and I realized the toilet was blocked with tissue. Oh my god, I wanted to cry. So two glasses of wine down. I panicked. I picked up the number two. I threw it out the two story window. Next day, because I stayed over, my date took his dog to the vet because he was so worried at what his very small dog had done in the garden. So he thought that his dog, his small dog, had done a human size shit in the yard, so we took him to the vet.
Speaker 1: What I like about this, though, is not the fact that it was a human sized poo. It would have been absolutely decimated by being thrown out of two story windows. He just thought that dog, Oh man, that's awful, and you also can never admit to that. I know that there's always a Pooh story that gets told, but you can never admit to being who throws the pool out a two story window.
Speaker 2: Who can never admit that you put your bare hand in the toilet and pulled out your log and through out the window at your boyfriend's house. Never you take that to the grave or to life on cart.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you, though, the amount of people who have actually messaged us to tell us that they fish their own pool out of a toilet bowl is wild. And I know that some of you, like we've gotten feedback. Some of you are like enough with the Pooh stories.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: We would also like it to be enough with the Pooh stories, but they keep on coming in every week. That's what we received when it comes to it, accidentally, unfiltered or a confessional.
Speaker 2: But I can't tell you ninety five percent of you our stories from you guys, I poop stories. Okay.
Speaker 1: I have one more confessional that I'm gonna throw in here because I just think it's so well. I mean, it's not that innocent, but it's really funny. I lied to my parents about my atar, and I photoshopped my certificate. They then framed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did, girl, you live your best life.
Speaker 1: I think that there's there's like a whole other layer to this because your atar gets published in the newspaper. So what happens when your correct atar gets published?
Speaker 2: Do you double down on the line?
Speaker 1: Do you say, no, they accidentally misprinted my atar results in the newspaper. I gave you my certificate.
Speaker 2: Obviously they just didn't look at that, nah, which is fair like everyone might not if you just say, mom, this is what I got, here's my certificate, Like, they're not going to go search in the newspaper.
Speaker 1: If you have the type of parents who were framing your atar and putting it on the wall, I can guarantee you that they are looking for that name in a newspaper anyway. Guys, that is it from accidentally unfiltered and confessionals. Let's get into the chat with Samantha X. We hope you guys enjoy it as much as we enjoyed doing the interview.
Speaker 2: Samantha X is Australia's highest paid and most well known escort. She's an ex journalist turned author. She's got a few best selling books, Hooked and Back on Track. Both books are like a fly on the wall experience, revealing what it's actually like to work in the sex industry. She speaks very very openly about what working in this industry involves, and I'm talking the good, the bad, the hard, end of the funny. And Samantha is now a sex coach and owner of Samantha X after Dark. She's a very very interesting woman and I am very intrigued about this life. So Samantha, Welcome to Life on Kut. Thanks for coming today.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I always hear people saying that they're intrigued by my story, and I always I always smile because I think, no matter what, no matter how old my story gets, people are so intrigued by the sex industry and by the secrets that I have. And I because I've been in it for a while now, I think, you know, it's so kitchen table for me now, so I forget that people are still so interested in So thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Well, I think for so many people, like I mean, the majority of us, there is so much taboo and mystery. And before we unpack your life and how you got into the industry, we ask everybody who comes on this podcast one very the same question. It is accidentally unfiltered, and that is you sharing with us your most embarrassing story. Now, I know that you got prepped on this a little bit late, but Samantha, do you have an embarrassing story to share with us?
Speaker 3: I've got so many embarrassing stories. The one that I thought about that came to my mind first was when I was quite new starting out of Samantha and the client requested a really romantic night. We had dinner, champagne. I had a beautiful hotel room full of candles, and then you know, he was gorgeous, and I was really nervous, and we sort of moved from the kitchen to the living room to the bedroom and I could smell smoke, and I hadn't realized that the sheets were on fire because the sheets had caught fire from the candle. So it was I was trying to be really professional and sexy. That was a learning lesson for me. Big time. Big Time put out a fire lost me a fortune because there was smoke all the way up the wall. You know how that smoke all the way up the walls, You know, I had to obviously really apologize for him burning his face and dick off. It was just it was just a lesson. Another one I just want to say, which I think a lot of women will wore cringe at. Is this. A young man looked me once and then when he turned up he looked at me. He went, oh, no, you're too old.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he did not. But the thing about being.
Speaker 3: An escort or in the industry is that you learned to toughen up pretty quickly. And you know, it's not personal, you know what, you know, someone may find me attractive and another man may not. It's really you learn you learned to tough en up pretty quick.
Speaker 1: How do you cope with that? Like, I mean, the very first time that sort of happens and you are I mean, it's it's it's kind of like you're on this continual first date where you have to show up and be like, Hi, I'm Samantha, Nice to meet you. Like, how do you I don't know, how does your ego and your self esteem reckon with that?
Speaker 3: It can be incredibly hard. I mean I've tried dating in the real world too, and I find that harder. So with Samantha, I mean, obviously my real name is not Samantha, but with this character I've created, it's showtime. I have got that barrier up. So whatever they say to me Samantha doesn't really affect me as Amanda. So it's different. If it was real life. I caught it real life, then I would find it really hard. But you know, it's a job, and what happens with a client or what a client says to me, I don't bring home. I may write about it, but I don't bring out.
Speaker 2: So I want to get into that in a second. About the Amanda verse Samantha in these I guess these two lives you almost live. But I want to ask you something quickly that you just touched on. You just mentioned that this guy rocked up to the hotel one day and said, oh no, you're too old. Do they know who you are and what you look like when they book you? Like, why was he so surprised? I thought he would book you knowing who and what you are.
Speaker 3: That was a long time Yeah, that's a really good question. That was a long time ago. That was before I came out to Samantha. So my face wasn't shown, my pictures weren't really identifiable. At all. Now it's a very very different story when I first started out and the person I am now completely different. And it doesn't even get to that stage because clients men who know who I am and they know what I look like. So the two samanthas I was very green then.
Speaker 2: So tell us a little bit about what life was like, just a background on you. Where did you grow up, how did you get to the point that you're at right now, and when did Amanda turn into Samantha?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I grew up in Wimbledon in London. You know, I had a very privileged upbringing, went to a private school, all girls' school. Normal dysfunctional family. I mean, I'll be honest. There it was a you know, it was privileged. But I mean I know what families, all families are like, because I hear enough about all families. But I moved. I was a journalist. I always wants to be a journalist. And then when I moved to Australia in my mid twenties, I did so for many reasons, to escape really, and so I was a journalist in Australia for many years, and then I always knew I wanted to be Samantha. It just was in me, and I think a lot of women in this industry also say the same thing. They just know. So after separating from my ex with two young children, I decided it was time to be Samantha. And I had no idea what to do. I had no one I knew in my world was in the adult industry. But I did my research like a good journalist and picked up the phone and worked for an establishment. And at the minute I started, I was hooked. I mean, I don't mean to say hooked her hearts name my book, but I was. I was hooked. And it's an addictive industry. It's very addictive. And I say to young girls only, especially young girls that come to me saying I want to be ill, but you want to be an escort, and you know, it's so glamorous. And I always warned them, and I say no, because once you're in this industry, it is impossible to leave, go and have your career, go and have kids, if you want to have kids, go and get married or whatever you want to do. And then obviously everyone story is different. For me, at my age forty seven, what I do suits me in my lifestyle now, but was I ready for it earlier? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: What was the catalyst that happened or what was it that made you want to shift from working in journalism to working as an escort? And you know, you said that it was something that you always felt like you wanted to do. But what was the big thing or was there a big thing that made you go, I'm going to give this a try.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, I was dating and that's enough. Yeah, that was the catalysty.
Speaker 3: I was in my mid thirties, you know, and I have this thing where I say I'm sick of men wasting my time. They can pay for it. And money is also a factor that. I mean, it'd be naive and irresponsible for me to say that money isn't great. It comes and it goes very easily. I was working full time as a journalist and I was a single mother, and I didn't take very kindly to some editor saying you can't see your children this weekend, you have to work. So I didn't see my children fifty to fifty anyway, I only saw them. So I just thought, fuck this, I'm going to create that. I always wanted to create it, And looking back, I think I can't believe how brave I was. Now I wouldn't looking back, I think I can't believe half the stuff I've done. But at the time it felt really right, and I really feel I was meant to live that life. Yeah, just an escalation of a few bad dates. It wasn't one digital event, it was just the general Okay, I'm really sick of dating now.
Speaker 2: When you say that you knew that it was always in you and you knew it was always something that you wanted to do, What do you mean by that. Do you mean that like you just love sex so much, or do you mean that you knew that one person wasn't necessarily for you when you liked that lifestyle, Like, what was it that was burning inside of you? That was like, because I feel like it's a very specific industry to jump from journalism to that and to say I knew that this industry was always in me, especially when you joined Like now we're doing podcasts like this, we're talking openly about it. It's so much more accepted. There was definitely a stigma in a taboo probably when you joined the industry massively.
Speaker 3: Now now sex workers have pot and I'm not the first one to write a book, and I won't be the last. I guess it was a power thing and it still is. You know, when I date someone in my real life, I sort of feel the scales are a bit out of whack. But when I'm Samantha, I have the power, and I think that's a very hard thing to lose. Once you've got that, it's almost like a mask I can hide behind because the real me is very different to Samantha. Couldn't be more different, and I think people always quite surprised when they meet the real MEAE because I'm actually quite an introvert. And you know, it's not about sex. Sex is sex, you know. I've always said that. I always say to women, don't do this job for the sex. It's more the power. I think that's what That's what drew me there and that's what keeps me there, and of course the men. I really really love the clients I see.
Speaker 1: Talk to me a little bit about how and why when you started, or what it was that made you go okay. I want to keep Amanda separate. I want Amanda to be me, and I want to have more of a stage name when it comes to my work and working in that on industry.
Speaker 3: I didn't actively plan to do that. It just evolved naturally. I created Samantha, and I didn't sit there and think, Okay, I want Samantha to be blonde. I wanted to have big boobs. And I didn't plan all of that. I evolved over the past ten years. But I knew that if I was at home, housework, being a very normal, typical woman at home, if I was being booked a Samantha, I could leave that behind and step into this world. And I became addicted to that. Stepping into that world, walking through the hotel, five star, hotel, knocking on the door. You know, it's escapism, and I'm being treated like a queen, princess, whatever, and I'm with the client for one two hours and then i come home to my real life. And that's what I find really hearty. Let go of. Is that escapism? That's thrill. I mean, it's intriguing for me. You know, as a journalist, I'm intrigued by who I meet behind the hotel door. I'm always engaged by my client.
Speaker 2: Do you, And I'm sure it's very different from when you entered the industry until now. Obviously you run your own companies and you're very in control and you're very very well known and respected. Did you ever and can you now do you see the clients that book you before? Like can you choose the client? Because what happens if like and let's be real, you still want to have an attraction. You don't want to go and have sex with someone. I'm sure that you're repulse by for whatever reason. Is there a time that you've ever turned up and you've just gone like holy shit, like how do I get out of this? Or I don't want to do it? Or is it different for you? And you just love the whole experience so much that it doesn't matter who's on the other side.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter when a woman is working, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter what they look like. It really doesn't. Have I ever felt holy shit, Yes I have. I'd be lying if I said no. But they're usually the most beautiful clients. I mean one of my clients that I miss daily was an eighty five year old man. Obviously there was no intimacy as in sex, but his care would bring him into the hotel at eleven o'clock in the morning, be in a wheelchair, he would come upstairs, I'd give him a shower. I would sit on the bed in a dressing gown and drink a whiskey. I don't drink, so he drank a whiskey and that was all. And it was really nice to see him. Over the past six months I saw him, you know, he'd become a bit more confident after shaven, wouldn't need his care or he wouldn't. He would get out of the wheelchair, start walking.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just really beautiful to see him change a little bit. And then when he died, his family rang me and invite him to the funeral, which was really lovely. So I really missed him. Actually, we used to have such beautiful chats. So yeah, look, I mean, could I rip his clothes and have sex with him? That would be a real struggle, but I didn't. We didn't. So there have been clients where I think, well, not many actually, because I'm so experienced now, I can tell if they're going to be a dickhead just by the way they send me a m I don't see those clients.
Speaker 2: Can you teach us that? How do we learn that as the general public? How do we learn straight away that sone's a dickhead.
Speaker 3: Well, my biggest number one advice to women is if you think he's a dickhetat, he's a dicket. You know, if something doesn't feel right, it's not right.
Speaker 1: If he looks and smells like a dickhead, is Samantha you mentioned before. You don't know who the person's going to be, or what type that they're going to look like, anything about them, But what is the type of man or what is the type of client that you normally see. I think a lot of us would have it in our heads that there might be a type of guy who would call for an escort service. Is that the case or is it really just open to kind of anyone.
Speaker 3: It's open to anyone. It's no type. It's just a man basically, not just a man, it's women as well. But it's yeah, it's there's no type. There's no It's not like the dodgy dirty mac brigade that hang around train stations. It's people from Pollywood celebrities to tradees to anybody. But I would say they all have one thing in common and that's what they're looking for, and they're looking for connecting.
Speaker 2: And is it always like I know that you just talked about this eighty five year old man that you obviously there was no sex involved. But anyone else that's younger than that there's obviously able to have sex. Is there anyone that would employ you to just be company and just have intimacy or to go on a trip with you, like what's the extent of what you are hired for?
Speaker 3: Yes, there are clients like that. And I don't want to give the allusion to women though that this is just accompanying men to dinner and they put you in a limousine and you go home. I have an houri fee. What what we do in that is up to me. Really, it's not up to them. It's up to me. But people are paying for my time. They're not paying for Oh well, we're not going to have sex, so you know, what can you discount? They're paying for my time. So there are men that think they want sex, but really they don't. They just want company. Majority of men want company. Sex is largely always involved, but it's very very vanilla and very quick. Really, sorry all my clients.
Speaker 2: That's so funny because you feel like you feel like the people that want to come to you for a night I like, want to go crazy.
Speaker 3: Always makes me laugh because I've lost count of the number of women that come to me and say, Samath's I want to be an escort. I'm addicted to sex, And I just laugh and I say, don't do this for the sex. Be on Tinder for sex. Don't be an escort for sex.
Speaker 2: Tinder won't pay you, though it.
Speaker 3: Costs you, costs you time. That's what I worked out, Especially during lockdown. I had clients that would ring me, and it's nothing that they didn't want phone sex. They just wanted to talk to someone, you know. I had one client who was suicidal because he's in Melbourne. Obviously I had a charge him for that. But they are searching for so much more than penis and vagina.
Speaker 1: Samantha, you mentioned how important connection is, and I feel like I feel like that's probably the bee thing that is overlooked in all this. I think when we think of the sex industry and when we think of escort services. I know, I certainly the very first thing that my mind went to was the sex work. But one of the things, and we heard you speak on another podcast, it was one of the parts of this that we found so interesting was your conversation around connection and conversation? Can you explain to me a little bit about how and why you find this to be such an important part of the services that you provide.
Speaker 3: Connection is probably the number one reason why men book me. I can't speak for every other escort out there, but I know for me, and that really surprised me because I thought it was going to be about sex sect X because I feel these days men, well, not necessarily these days men. In my experience, men I see they don't feel they can be themselves anywhere, and particularly if they're busy at work or they've got families or whatever their situation is. I see them struggle with their emotions, and I see them struggle with being able to talk and speak freely without being judged. So I call myself an overpaid psychologist.
Speaker 2: You probably charge more is mentally training.
Speaker 3: It can be mentally draining, not physically draining. So a lot of men I feel as staffed of that connection, whereas women are so good at connecting with each other, and I feel men men aren't so good at that, or they see it. There's a sign of weakness. But it's funny with an escort they will feel comfortable to do that. So back to women who think because they love sex, they'll be a good escort, it's not really a massive part of the job, to be honest.
Speaker 2: And the men that come to you, I know you just mentioned that there are all different walks of life and all different kinds of men. Do you see and this is just out of curiosity, but do you see a lot of married men, Like, are there a lot of family men that are coming to you for whatever reason? I would just love to know a if you do see married family men and be what's the main reason they're coming to you?
Speaker 3: Okay, So yes, I do see married men. There are a certain percentage of men that not all, but some. The number one reason they're coming to me is their marriages have become all their wives and them have just become strangers in the night. They have separate bedrooms, separate lives. Rightly, they stay because of the children. They don't want to leave because they don't lose their money and they don't want to lose the kids. And there's a feeling of being trapped. I'm sure their wives feel trapped as well. So you know, divorce is to boo in a lot of cultures as well. Look, I've been in that situation. I know what it's like to be an unhappy relationship, and as an escort and a professional, it's not my job to judge their marriage. And you know, there's always two sides to us.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it's not your responsibility, as in like it's not your responsibility to be vetoing your customers who come in and making a moral judgment for them saying you know, oh, I can't see you because you're married. And like you said, everyone has different circumstances, but I'm sure or maybe not. I'd love to know your opinion this. Do you receive backlash from people who when if you do speak about seeing married men, or if you do speak about having someone come to you who maybe is in a traditional family sense, do you couple at a criticism for that personally?
Speaker 3: No. I've had wives contact me, yeah, when they found out, but I end up having an honest conversation with the wife. I remember one and I wrote about it. One woman rang me and said, oh, you've seen my husband, And I said, I'm okay, here's your husband and she told and I didn't know who he was. I couldn't remember, and she said, we're trying for a baby. He promised me he wouldn't see escorts anymore, and I'm going to get private investigator, Da da dada. And she goes, what do you think I should do? And I said, well, do you really want to be having a baby with someone you don't trust? You know? So she says, do you think he'll change? And I said no, I don't think he'll change, you know, And I'm not going to lie to her. We ended up having a real honest conversation, and you know, she wasn't saying you, you slut. You know, she was just saying, I'm so unhappy I'm with someone that does this. What do you think I should do? And I said, well, if you've got to stage, well, you're ringing a stranger ask and asking what you think you should do. I don't think you should be having a baby with.
Speaker 2: This man, especially she's coming to you for like It's almost like, Okay, you've done your therapy session with him, and now you're doing it with her as well. It's like, but that is so true. If you are having to ask someone you I don't know that has swept with your husband if you should stay together. I mean, like they're your answers, right there isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I felt for her, But I mean equally, I have women that come to me who want to be escorts that are marriage and they want to do this on the side. So I think I'm more intimidating for the husbands of my friends than I am for the wife. I remember one man said to me, don't let my wife come and work for you. For God's sake, Samantha, So when I know my real life, she ended up working for me actually, and now she's an escort. But funny enough, it's the men that have a problem with what I do, not the women. But they just split up. And he said, if she contacts you, don't let her work for you. I mean, I'm not. She's a grown woman, you know, she's in her forties.
Speaker 2: She can do what she wants.
Speaker 3: So she ended up contacting me, and you know, now she's an escort, and I think he's furious at me. So it's funny. While people may think it's the wives that judge me, it's actually the men that are terrified that their wives are going to see this free lifestyle that I have, and they're stuck in these marriages, and they might think, oh, you know, she's going to want to be free like Samantha. She's going to want to be an escort like Samantha. That's where the judgment comes from, usually not not the why the wives get it. You know, women understand why I do what I do nine times out of tennally understand.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I mean, one of the big things must be financially and that it's a lucrative business to be working in. I feel like that must be something that's a calling card. How financially viable are we talking? Like what what do we charge a client for an evening or for a few hours if you were to have someone spend two hours with you, Because I'm thinking, you know, if your girlfriends and people that you're in close contact with, maybe not just seeing the jobs that you're doing, but also seeing like the lifestyle and what you're able to provide for yourself, that can also be a really attractive part of this.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is, and I think for single moms as well. I charge twelve hundred dollars an hour, so I usually see clients for a few hours, a couple of thousand dollars here, you know, and I don't I charlge obviously a lot more for that for and overnight, which I don't really do that. We're all going overseas. So yeah, you can make great money, and you know, I put it in the bank and I pay my tax.
Speaker 2: Disclaimer, don't come at me ATO.
Speaker 3: The ATO did bring me once. It was a woman or if you work for me, and she was working for the ATO.
Speaker 2: She saw how much money you were making, She's like, I need in on that.
Speaker 3: I asked her if she was going to pay tax on the money she hadn't it, and of course not. It is a true story, by the way. You know, it's great for making money, but also you don't have superannoation, you don't have sick pay. You don't you know, I might be really busy one month and dead the next, but I'm making more money now than I was a journalist. I guarantee that.
Speaker 2: So they got an average week, how many clients would you see or how many nights would you work?
Speaker 3: Or look now these days barely any because I'm really winding it down. But you know, you can make a lot of money. I mean, I know girls that bought properties and you know millions.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned just then that you're making more now than what you did as a journalist, something that I wanted to go back to. In regards to your journalist's career, you've been quoted saying that you entered the adult industry because it was more ethical than the media industry.
Speaker 3: Tell me about this, especially these days, I stand by that, Especially in London, I was a journalist for the tabloids and I was told to make things up and I did some things I wasn't proud of, you know. I had to go to families when let's say, I remember one incident. The man had just died in a fire and he was racing his sports scar and he died, and I turned up at the family's house that day, knocked on the door, turned up with a photographer trying to get a photo of him, you know, just behoging it on people's lives. In Australia it's a bit more gentle. The media here is more gentle. But again, a journalist is a journalist at the end of the day. And I'm not saying, oh, you know, being an escort is certain I'm like a saint now, but I actually find them a wholesome industry, you know, dealing with people on a very raw emotional level, a very human level. And I've certainly learned the art of compassion as an escort. As a journalist, yes, I was interviewing people about their murdered husbands or whatever, and you do have a level of compassion. But as a journalist you've always got to think at the headline and you know the angle. Whereas an escort, apart from the money and the transactional side of it, it's another human to another human.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like I mean, Laura and I, even just at our little level, have been on the receiving end of journalism that's completely fabricated, and it's all the headings are clickbait, and if you get to the very end of the article, there's one line that is actually truth, and that's actually been pulled from what happened to what was said. So like we see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you're right. Having been a journalist and having been someone the journalists right about, I just I can see through it.
Speaker 1: Now, how do you find that the media has treated you since you've come out very publicly as Samantha X. And since you've written your books Hooked being like a real expose on the life and what goes on as the life of an escort. How do you find the media has treated you since then? Because I do remember, and I even think back a couple of years ago when your book first came out, I was singing Samantha X in Daily Mail almost daily for a little while there, and I know that it can be really hard being sort of front facing of public scrutiny. What was your experience with the media like it came in twos?
Speaker 3: Really, it wasn't Daily Mail. The stories weren't bad. It was the comments from people. Look, it was horrible, but it was also excited. It was horrible to be on that side of the of the media, but it also became quite addictive, and I can see why you get addicted to that. Am I in the press? I'm in the press. I'm in the press. And now that's sort of petered out. I'm actually really relieved and I don't chase the publicisy. I don't want to be in the Daily Mail anymore. When I first came out of Samantha, it was a bit of a whirlwind. It was quite a not dark time for me, but it was I was sort of disconnected from what was actually going on. And now I've sort of, you know, I've just become a bit more chill and I'm happy to take a step back.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a juicy question. It was something like when I was doing my due diligence and doing all my research on you. It's just something that I read and I thought so many women would want to know about this. It's just about like a confidence thing. And I guess in the bedroom there are so many women, even with their partners, that are self conscious about their body, is conscious about sex. They don't know how to do anything. They think that the men are thinking things that they're not. And I read a comment that you said about in my experience, men's favorite position is the woman on top because they're visual. I just want to know, like, what is your experience in that, and what can you say to people that are self conscious about that in the bedroom and what men are actually thinking, because I'm pretty sure men are not looking at that tiny little role on your belly saying, oh my god, there's a role I don't want to have sex with it.
Speaker 3: That's such a good question, Rennie, because I am also very self conscious, and you know, I don't have a perfect body and I'm forty seven. It always makes me smile, and I wish women knew that that when they're on top with their partners, the men aren't going, oh my god, look at a double chin, Oh my god, look at a veiny tits, or they're not even thinking. They can't even see that, you know, they're just thinking about a woman on top of them. Pat They're just grateful to have sex, to be honest, and you know, the things I don't like about my body a man has never commented on, ever, ever, ever commented on. So I think the pressure to be per effect doesn't come from men. It comes to myself. The sexiest thing about women, I've always said is confidence. And they say use is wasted on the young. I really get that now the older, I get more confident I am. And it's not because my body's got better. It's because I've accepted my body, you know. And I've had surgery. I mean, I've had boobs, job a job, and I've had tweaks here and there. But the most sexiest thing a woman can do to her body is love her body. And I don't want to sound like a Hallmark card, but it's very true. And I've learned that not sady because I want validation for men, but it's just good for women to know that when you're happy and confident within your body automatically becomes sexyer.
Speaker 2: What is it that the men are asking for? Like, because I think a lot of people think that when a man wants to hire an escort, there are whips, there are handcuffs, there are sex wings, like you're hanging from the bed. It's like George of the Jungle. People think that it's just like wild laid eggs, you got the balls in the mouth. But what is that men are actually wanting in the bedroom in terms of is it freaky? The positions vanilla and plane and missionary even though that's not vanilla, that's actually one of the best positions man in my experience, But like, how freaky is it or how not freaky is it?
Speaker 3: Okay? So there's a market for all of that bulls in the mouth and chains and stuff. I've never been exposed to it. It's things like looking in your eyes and looking at each other and cuddling basically very normal. It's timid, if you know what I mean. It's just very normal, innocent sex and.
Speaker 2: What would be the most common position requested just out of curiosity? This is just like some research on my own missionary missionary?
Speaker 1: Wow, isn't that? It just goes to show like how little awareness I mean me personally, I would have thought that it is a whole lot kinkier than this, you know, And I think sometimes it's the kinky, salacious stories that get the attention, and maybe that's why we have this perception about this industry that it is a little bit more sordid and a little bit more risque. It's so interesting to speak to you and also understand that women who work in this industry have agency and they can choose the type of work that they want to be doing as well. What do you think some of the biggest stigmas or some of the biggest myths around this industry that you would just love love people to know that it's not true or to try and rework people's frameworks about how they think about the sex industry.
Speaker 3: So I think the number one biggest myth about women in this industry is that we're forced to do it or doing it against our will, whereas in actual fact, there are plenty of women like me who are in professional careers, who have left professional careers, are still working in them and make an educated decision to be an escort as well. And they're not doing it because on the breadline or because they've got a drug habit to feed or whatever. They're doing it because they enjoy men, enjoy the company of men, they have compassion, and they want the lifestyle. There's plenty of women I know that do that. There are women that you would never even guess that are escorts, you know, and it's not the ones that look like escorts are either it's the very conservative looking school mums or I had a doctor that moon lighted as an escort as well. It's all sorts of women. That's the number one thing. Number two thing I get is that it's a legitimate business. It's a legal industry, and it is recognized by the law. I mean, it's the oldest profession in the world. It's not going anywhere. It's decriminalized. And I hope by the more women and men there's men in the industries that the more when men and women that speak out about their jobs, the less to do it becomes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's important to highlight too that there definitely are women out there that are probably not doing it by choice and they don't have the opportunity, and it is they're in a situation that it is unfortunately forced and they feel like they have no other option. But it is so nice to also hear that there are so many women like you in other professions that are like literally putting their hand up to you, saying like like, let me do this. I want to get amongst this. But I have a question regarding dating life out of curiosity, how has been an escort, especially one that's been so public because you do have a public profile, How has it affected your dating life? Do you think it is harder to date and actually have relationships? And when you get into a relationship if you do, do you stop escorting over that time?
Speaker 3: Yes? And I get poor, so.
Speaker 2: So I'm not in a relationship.
Speaker 3: Ever, they're not paying my bills, which is the common problem with women in my industry. We meet someone, they say they don't care about the job. You know, they're attracted to that exciting side of you. And then when things get serious, they want you to stop working. You stop working, you get poor, they're not paying your bills, and then they turn out to be a bit of a dick anyway, so you just get poor and heartbroken. That's big, sweeping umbrella's statement, but that's what it's been like in my case. I've always struggled with dating and relationships, to be honest, which is why I'm a great escort, because it's the intimacy. I can handle a couple of hours here and there. At night, I'm done, and I think at my age as well, my late forties, I like my own time, so it really suits my lifestyle at the moment. I'm not ruling out a relationship, but I'm not going to give up my job again for a man. I've made that mistake and it just doesn't work. And a lot of women in my position have done the same. It doesn't work, you give it up, you get resentful, and you're always I love going back. You know when I'm ready to stop working, and that that's going to be happening soon. I think when I'm ready to stop working, then I would be opened to meeting someone. But I'm not gonna make the mistake I have in the past.
Speaker 2: I think that's important in any industry as well. Like I remember I've given like personally, I've given up things in the past for a man, and things that I had really really wanted to do, I put them on hold because I thought it was love and that's what you do. And I remember just saying, I will never fucking do that again. What a waste of my two years of my life.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to You don't have to be an escort to do that. I think, you know, you shouldn't have to give up anything to be with someone. They meet you as you are. You know, obviously there's you evolve, But and I completely understand why a man would want me to stop working, But it's unrealistic for me to give up work on a whim because I've met someone and I still the bills haven't changed, my mortgage repayments haven't changed, and you know, I would never ask anyone else to pay my mortgage for me. So yeah, it's really tricky. I think we do it once, then we don't do it again.
Speaker 1: We have spoken to quite a bit on this podcast in regards to like how when you have sexual relationships with someone. That's when like you can kind of start there and then feelings can develop. Have you ever been in a situation when you have been working as Samantha and then you've caught the feels for someone who originally started out as a client.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have met someone and I we fell in love. And my second book was called Back on Top and it describes our relationship. Yeah, we were crazy about each other. He was a businessman in Melbourne. But again it didn't work because he wanted me to stop working. I didn't trust him and it just didn't work. So that it very rarely works when that happens. It's not like the pretty woman scenario where Richard Gear comes in and sweeps you off your feet. It's more complex than that. It didn't end too well. But yeah, it was a very passionate relationship. But it's a lot of women do fall in love with clients and vice versa. The clients fall in love with who they think you are.
Speaker 2: We're all for one night stands, We're all for whatever you want to do. But for women, I feel like it's different. For men, when you start to have sexual relationships, you actually almost can't help but to feel something and develop something. There's a dopamine here, there's endorphins, and whether or not you want to say it like this is no strings attached. I feel like after a few times subconsciously it starts to develop. So I think that that's absolutely normal.
Speaker 1: But I think it also goes to show that, like, I mean, especially with your work, like there would I mean, you would have such a higher level of being able to separate these things out. I think when you say that, brit you're talking about for like us in our very normal relationships, whereas this isn't a normal relationship. It's a work relationship. And I know that it can be kind of hard for people. I mean I even sometimes find it out a bit difficult to get my head around. And it's because it's a world that I've never been exposed to. But you must be able to walk into these experiences and see some of them quite transactionally. Do you ever find it hard to separate your personal world from the Samantha world or is it something that you've just been doing so long now that you kind of go cool, they are so separate to each other.
Speaker 3: I've been doing it so long now, I find very easy to disconnect from it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing I find hard now is to reconnect when I'm with normal people. Yeah. I mean I can see a client and then he said, oh, do you remember we saw each other, you know, ten years and I just won't remember.
Speaker 1: I do know. There's some guys who I dated it and they'll say, hey, we dated ten years ago. If I can remember who you are.
Speaker 2: Legitimately. That happens to me too. Or like I'll walk around Sydney or a Bondai or something and I'll see someone I was like, did we go on a date or did I just stalk you on Instagram? Or did I see you on Tinder? I don't remember which one.
Speaker 1: Samantha, I have a question, which is around only fans. I mean we've spoken about only Fans on the podcast before. It seems like, you know, it is gaining a lot of momentum. Have you found that only Fans has affected or changed your industry at all? And if so, in what ways?
Speaker 3: Look I don't really, I mean I have an only Fans account. It's very tame, But no, it hasn't because the men, in my experience, the men that see me aren't looking for an online connection. They want a physical connection and a human connection. But only fans is going gangbusters. You know, I know women that make a lot of money from it, but it's not really a world I know too much about. And we have it for our angels. We have Samantha X after Dark OnlyFans, but yeah, it's a world I don't know too much about because of my age as well, I'm not comfortable with online stuff and I trust it, but I'm more a human person.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about Samantha X angels and what that comprises and Samantha X after Dark.
Speaker 3: So smanth Rex after Dark is our business. We have an advertising platform for male escorts, for female escorts. We sell lingerie and sex toys, and we have the agency, so we have women that work for us as escorts. Obviously, during lockdown, it was all we had to shut. So the thing that did really well was the online sales, so lingerie and sex toys went through the roof during COVID. But yeah, we have women that work for us, and you know, we train them.
Speaker 1: How do you make sure that you guys prioritize safety. I guess that this is probably one of the things that would be a big fear when you go in. I mean, it's a big fear with online dating. It's a big fear when you meet people in a private situation where you've you know, you don't know them apart from an online connection. How do you prioritize your own safety but also people safety who work for you under Samantha X after Dark, Well.
Speaker 3: It's probably safer than online dating. You know, we check their phone number against an app. We check their phone numbers with other women if we need to other girls in the industry. We get a real idea of who they are we are. Sometimes we ask them to pay deposits so we have their bank details. We don't get all that on Tinder. And also I take the bookings for the Angels, myself and my business partner Vanessa, and we know exactly what we're looking for, and we know exactly kind of client we want, and we say no to a lot of clients. So we do our due diligence. And I would never send a girl to see a client that I wouldn't see myself. So we have never touched word had an issue. I always say to the women, the men and more terrified, and they are the absolutely terrified when you turn up.
Speaker 1: I guess another question that I have which I'm curious about is safety around STIs what do you do with your clients or how do you manage your own sexual health when it comes to having several different clients or you know, making sure that that's something that's a priority.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, I get tested every three months, and I know the girls do too. I've never caught coal off a client. Obviously, condoms we use, and so it will probably safer than the average women who if you meet at a bar and you have unprotected sex, blah blah blah. I don't know. I don't do that, but the clients obviously are very particular as well. They don't want to catch anything or get anyone pregnant. I've never had to be in a situation really where I've said to a client, what's that thing on your day? And I know there are girls that have been and they just don't see the client. You know, It's amazing though. Men don't care. They actually don't care. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, if they had something on their dick, they don't care. They still just try and wam bam, thank you ma'am.
Speaker 3: Some will try and oh do we have to use a condom. I'm like, don't you I might have something. I don't care, I might get pregnant. They just don't care. Yeah. No, I mean it's a very safe industry in that way. Sex work is probably the safest women you could have sex with because they get tested all the time.
Speaker 2: In terms of you saying that you train your angels and obviously, I mean, I guess it's like any job that you want to train people on the job and you want them to understand your business and your industry. What does training look like for you guys in the industry. Is it more I mean, are you actually saying what to do in the bedroom? Or is it more how to manage the men and speak to them, or or what talk me through that?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I don't discuss sex at all really with the girls. You know, what goes on in the bedroom is their business. There's nothing to do with me. I have never once, I don't think I've ever talked about low jobs or anything. For the girls. It's more to do with how to dress. You know, the logistics of how to get the client to the hotel room. The money's that, you know, if he based by credit card or logistics of that, or how to greet him in public. I also speak to him about if something doesn't feel right when you walk into the room walk out, you know, we always have your back. You will never have to justify to us. We're always on her side, always, always, always never. You know, we're always going to take old women's side, and these aren't. I'm not talking about eighteen yeard girls. We're talking about thirty five, forty five, fifty year old women. Yeah, you know they've there. We don't even to well young girls etiquettes what to wear, what not to wear, and what to wear is usually corporate.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. And do you think that older women or more mature women more requested and in demand than younger women.
Speaker 3: The biggest request we have is for women over forty. What the men tell me is they want someone they can talk to you. They want someone with life experience, you know, which goes to my point that it's not about having the perfect body and not about you know, being sexual. It's about life experience, about warmth, it's about compassion. These are things that of women as we age, or ep human as we age, we get more of being around the block. A few times to know how to make someone feel comfortable. And for women that age, it's not one bank get out so I can go with my mates. It's like, you know, the women are enjoying it too. You can bring water the table, I think, and I think men feel more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Are there a lot of public profiles in Australia? Athletes or people we would know that use your services.
Speaker 3: While I can never give names, obviously we have. We have a Hollywood celebrity, huge, huge Bollywood celempty that comes when it comes to town. He books my girls and I can't say too much about him except that he was heating McDonald's up in the microwave. Why well, because it doesn't matter how much money someone can have. The best hotel in Australia probably were the best access to the best food and wine. They had to bring with a microwave to his suite so he could heat up his big mac.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is amazing. I wish we could know names. We want to move on to sobriety. Now you are sober. You're having sober for a little while. I'm not exactly sure how long, So tell us about that. When did you decide to go sober, and why.
Speaker 3: Because I was getting past the stage where it was just a few drinks. You know. I wasn't drinking in the morning or anything like that, but it was becoming a problem for me in the way that my life is unraveling a little bit. And I wasn't really control of myself when I was drinking, and it was very much to champagne lifestyle. It wasn't going to end up well. So I was very lucky to nip it in the bud. And I'm part of a twelve step program and it's the best thing I ever did. Getting sober was the best and the hardest thing I've ever done. Writing a book about being an escort and coming out to Australia, it was nothing compared to getting sober. So Yeah, I've been sober for more or less on and off a few years now. It's the best thing I overdid. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you find that you had to drink or you felt like you needed to drink before you went to see a client? Was that part of it?
Speaker 3: No? No, I didn't need to drink before a job. But I would always drink on the job and have a glass of wine. But the thing is a glass of wine turns into a bottle of wine. Do that five times a week? You know, it's a lot of alcohol. And I can't handle my alcohol. I could never handle it the best of times. And then I would hold it together for the client and then come home and drink or just use alcohol in a way that wasn't healthy.
Speaker 1: Did you find it all that when you were drinking it impacted your ability to make good decisions when you were in that environment. So when you were escorting, did you find that you would wake up the next day and be like, fuck, I really wish I didn't do that, or I didn't say that, or you know, because I know that, like for myself when I was drinking my twenty is the biggest part of it for me was waking up with alcohol guilt and feeling like the things I'd done the night before I was. I felt shameful for her, I was embarrassed about. Was that something that you were dealing with as well?
Speaker 3: Enormously? Yeah, and I was. It wasn't so much what I was doing, It was a feeling, you know, feeling disgusting, feeling worthless, feeling shameful in my real life as well. So I really struggled with that and took me to some dark places, some very dark places. Making the decision to go sober. I wasn't really all my decision. My friends were really worried about me. And you know, if I say, if you don't think you have a problem with alcohol, tried giving up. And since I've given up, my life has completely changed inside out. Even though I look has changed my skin, I'm definitely more grounded now. I shudder at some of the things I said or I did. It's more than a cringe. It's a mortification that I've said some of those things.
Speaker 1: But we do live in such a culture and such a society that we're heroes, so drinking it makes it so hard, even just going out with friends. And I think a lot of the time it's unintentional peer pressure as well, where people like, oh, just have one drink because nobody wants to be the one drinking on their own, so you always want your friend to have a glass of wine with you, and that can be the thing that adds to people's pressure around moderation. I think like for a lot of people, moderation doesn't exist. When you say it was harder, it was harder to go sober than what it was, to come out as an escort, publicly come out as an escort. Why what was it that made it so hard to give up?
Speaker 3: Well, when you stop drinking, you have to deal with the problems that cause you to drink in the first place. Will you rip the band aid off? And you think, well, I can either work through this or I can carry on masking it. And when you work through the pain that you felt or feel, that masks the reasons why you drank that that's really challenging. And the easiest thing to do would be to start drinking again. And alcohol is everywhere everywhere, so saying no to that takes a lot of strength. But to me, I just play it forward. If I say yes to that drink, two weeks later, I'll be back to where I was, and I just don't want to be in that sad place. It wasn't going to end up well, it was not going to end up well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on today, Samantha. I could literally speak to you for hours.
Speaker 3: Really, maybe you should book me for a few hours.
Speaker 2: And there's that savvy business woman. I love it, Samantha.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming for being a part of Lafeon Cartes, for sharing your story, and it's just been a pleasure interviewing you. It. There's so much about the world that you work in that for Britta and I, we both it's so foreign to us, and you've definitely destigmatized a lot of things for us today as well, so we greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dora. If you're looking for a career change, let me know.
Speaker 1: Matt, we're going to make a thousand, three hundred dollars a night, let's go.
Speaker 3: I al really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Thanks Samantha.
Speaker 1: It is time for our second favorite part. Actually it's like a third favorite. Everything's our favorite part of this episode where we talk about our suck and our sweet. Now suck and our sweet is just a high light and our low light of each and every week. And if you guys aren't doing this with your friends or your family, we highly recommend. It's such a nice way of unpacking the week that's just been and figuring out what's something that you're super grateful for and something that you wish fucking didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I actually did this with my nephew this week. He's too and he said that his favorite part of his sweet of the week was that he played in the sandbox with his friend. It's preschool. I love it. I'm absolutely here for it, but I'll kickstart it. My suck of the week was that I have come up to the Gold Coast and I'm just here for a few days, and I was catching up with my best friend. And I have my best friend since we were five years old, so we have been best friends for a very long time. I haven't seen her for a very long time, so we booked a dinner, me, Sherry, and her. We got to the dinner. I was so excited. We'd ordered one drink. We were just about to order the food when she gets a phone call that one of her little baby She's got two little kids, one of them was so sick that she had to go home. So our catch up lasted for I mean, the drink only just came. She scolded the drink, and then she had to leave. So that was definitely my suck was that, you know, we were after years of not catching up, we finally got the chance, but her little one got sick. So definitely my suck. I mean, that's life, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh Man? I feel sorry for hers. First thing, going to say this, I hate that every time you say anything negative about motherhood as a mum, you always feel like you need to preface it with like, oh, motherhood has so many great things, but it's also has these really trying and challenging times. Of course, as mums were grateful for all the great things, but there are definitely times where you just think, God, man, I wish that life was a little bit less complicated and I got to just be selfish for a day and I got to just take care of me. You know, I feel sorry for her.
Speaker 2: Oh No, I felt way more sorry for her than me. Like she ended up in the hospital all night, her little kid had she had to go on a nebulize her and it was really bad. But yeah, like the suck wasn't really for me. The suck was like obviously I couldn't see her, but yeah, that night for her was disaster, Like I got to go home alone and she had to go spend it in a hospital.
Speaker 1: So man, really pulled out the suck there, Brittany, how's your sweet Well, Like, usually I don't have sucks. Usually they're so stupid, Like I stopped my toe but this was a big one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My sweet is also the fact, the same thing, basically in reverse, that I am up here. I did get to see Sherry, I got to see my brother who I haven't seen in over a year. My nephew who's only so small he barely recognizes me because I haven't seen him in over a year. So just the fact that I got to reconnect, which was really nice.
Speaker 1: I think that that is going to be the sweet for so many people this week, the next, like, for like the next month. Just feeling like all of these things, all of these connections that have had to happen over zoom for the past four months, all the past two years, just being able to see people and touch people in real life is so fulfilling and amazing. My suck for the week, I've had the fucking best week, and I'm like not even afraid to shout it out. Okay, my suck for the week was sobernign, so nothing. I bought a coffee from the coffee shop that I love and they didn't put the lid on it properly and it's spilt all through my car and all down my clothes. The other day, very entertaining.
Speaker 2: It's a huge suck. That is huge.
Speaker 1: I'm like the one person I guess so excited about my morning coffee. It's like my one little treat, and it was like it did me dirty. Okay, but my sweet I have so many of them. Last week was a huge week for Tony May. We launched a new collection and nothing like Goot said on fire or broke down or everything just.
Speaker 2: Went went well.
Speaker 1: Love that well, yeah, sometimes it can be so anti climatic because you can put so much time and energy and effort into something and then it doesn't turn out how you expect. But it was really fulfilling to be able to kind of get that out into the world. Then my other huge sweet, which is like by far the biggest one, was that I got to see my mom and my stepdad on the weekend. I haven't seen them for months and months and months. They haven't seen Lola since she was two months old and she's now eight months, so it was huge for us. And you know, it was just so nice being able to be together as a family. It meant the absolute world to me. So that is my suck and my sweet. The suck is pretty trivial, but the sweet were really big highs this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you just said, those suites is going to be everyone. Everyone is going to start to feel that the coming weeks and the coming months, and I'm so excited for everyone to have that.
Speaker 1: We're so happy for you guys, like honestly, for every single person who's been struggling through this lockdown. I just, I honestly can't be more happy for all of you, for us as well, but like for all of you, I know how many people are in our Life on Cut community have been doing it tough and have been really missing seeing their friends and families. So I'm so stoked for you guys as well.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys loved today's episode. We really did. And keep your accidentally unfiltered, your confessionals or anything else that happens to you, your ask gum cuts. Keep everything sliding into the dms at Life Uncut Podcast on the Instagram. Also jump on and join the Facebook group Life Uncut Podcast, the discussion group. It's where it's at. So much juicy goodness, so many questions, so much support. Everything happens in that group. We really really love it.
Speaker 1: And if you are somebody who got well and truly stuck into Batch on cut last season. Well, this is going to be a big and exciting week for you. We'll be back and we'll be back with Batcheon Cart this coming Friday. And if you are one of our scallywag listeners who hasn't yet left your review given us feedback, we'd love it if you could jump onto Apple Podcasts and you know what, five stars would be a great place to start if you are thinking about leaving a review. We would fucking love that.
Speaker 2: I mean like it's up to you, but don't do anything with five stars. Yeah, that would be great. Thanks, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: And anyway, guys that you know the drill, tell your mom, tell your dad, tell your sister, and your brother and your cousin. And if there's an episode that you think one of your friends would love and it would help them, tell them as well and share the love because we are love.
Speaker 4: Eight