Speaker 1: A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn. Radio Work, Our Windows, My world, reason the dust, only good babs all day. I don't much, but yeah I'm not. I'll biet and what I want.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup. Happy Monday afternoon, everybody. It is the pick up with Fred Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: It's also Oscar's Day.
Speaker 1: I am not usually a big like fan of the Oscars, Like I don't really get sucked into it, but I do enjoy looking at the dresses I outfits. I get sucked into for.
Speaker 3: The wrong reason, Like I'm not really caring who wins and what they win. But I love everything I have the faro for all for I don't know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I love the yeah, like the someone tell me it's true.
Speaker 1: I do not know what that word is you're looking for.
Speaker 2: I think it's for all.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it is. I love the prochare of the red carpet raw if you raw an outbreak of public anger or excitement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Sorry, laugh it up, guys.
Speaker 1: The four people in the room that don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the only person Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Farrale that goes on around it. It means like the height and excitement. There's always it quite does. But that's okay, it's.
Speaker 2: We just googled it.
Speaker 3: It's exactly what it means. It's like all the energy that goes on around it. There's already so many things. Is the dresses and there's always something rogue. The speech is the host like, there's always so much stuff.
Speaker 2: That comes out of it, and.
Speaker 1: There's already been so many funny things.
Speaker 3: From like Adam Sandler to Ariana Grande's dress.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about it later, but I'm really here for it. This year.
Speaker 1: Also something that we are going to talk about. Kieran Culkin has done probably the best Oscars speech that I've ever heard, and it might mean that he ends up with an extra kid and not just an Oscar trophy. Okay, we're talking Oscars because they have happened today and I'm obsessed with them every single year.
Speaker 3: Before I get into this story about one of the Colcan brothers, you know, Macaulay Culkin. Yeah, he's got a brother, Kieran Colkin.
Speaker 1: I was today years old when I discover that they were brothers. I mean I know they had the same last name. They look identical. I just never thought about it. Yeah, really did it? Imagine being like the less successful sibling. There are so many of them in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I know that's not what we're talking about, but it would be so hard having like an older brother or sister that's just so much more successful than you.
Speaker 1: But who do you think now is more? Because I think Kieran Colkin is way more successful than mcculchy. He kind of picked too early, poor kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah well at seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did Home Alone, which he really did, like I mean, and when we were young, he was humongous. And now his brother has kind of like overtaken ranks.
Speaker 3: I mean, Macaulay Colkin got a Hall of Fame style last year.
Speaker 1: Oh good for him, because don't you know he did the speech and everyone was like, is that his voice members really high pitch voice.
Speaker 2: No, okay, this is a seguey, So let's go back to Kieran Colgan.
Speaker 1: Kieran Colkin just won an Oscar for the Best Supporting Role in a movie.
Speaker 2: He did a real pain.
Speaker 3: Now he has given one of possibly one of the best acceptance speeches that I have heard at the oscars have her listened to this about.
Speaker 4: A year ago. Is on the stage like this, and they're very stupidly publicly that I want a third kid from her because she said if I won the award, she would give me the kid. It turns out she said that because she didn't think I was gonna win. After the show, we're walking through a parking lot, She's holding the Emmy you We're trying to find her car.
Speaker 2: Then she goes, oh god, I did say that. I guess I owe you a third kid.
Speaker 4: And I turned to her and I said, really, I want four, and she turned me. I swear to God, this happenage just over a year ago. She said, I will give you four when you win an Oscar. I held my hand out, she shook it, and I have not brought it up once until just now. You remember that, honey, you do? Then I just have this to say to you, Jazz, love of my life. You have little faith, no pressure. I love you. I'm really sorry I did this again. And let's get cracking on those kids.
Speaker 1: What do you say you imagine winning yourself in Oscar and also being like game and check, I'm also getting my fourth baby. Now do you think she has to not she doesn't have to deliver through with it if she doesn't want to. I've not there had more discussions that can foller it's still.
Speaker 2: Gonna be consensual. I don't think you can blackmail that.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's one of those things you can almost bank on, Like when you say to someone like, it's a pretty safe bet to say, yeah, I'll give you what you want when you win in Oscar. The likelihood of winning an Oscar is so slim, especially with no offense to Kieran Colkin, but he wasn't huge when he won it. It's not like he had been so close year after year. That's a pretty safe gamble totally.
Speaker 1: But it is also very deflating to have your wife be like, hey, I'm in a bet something I never have to do because I don't actually believe that you're ever gonna win that Like it's a very backhanded compliment slash bribe at the same time.
Speaker 3: So very similar to that situation. My fiancee Ben and I we sort of had something the same. So when we started dating.
Speaker 2: My fiance is a.
Speaker 3: Professional athlete, so we used to put bets on that whoever would win a sport could get a prize.
Speaker 2: So I used to say to him, hey.
Speaker 3: If I beat you at this sport, So it was either a golf, it was mini golf, and then we did it for you know, like the driving range golf.
Speaker 1: We did it for that, We did it for table tennis, and we did it for pool.
Speaker 2: So we did it like we did a round robin of boughts.
Speaker 1: But Ben is a professional football like soccer player, so like it. I think it is arrogant for him to think that he's good at every sport just because he's good at one sport.
Speaker 3: Now athletes fancy themselves as pretty late all rounders.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, he was so confident. He literally said to me, you will never beat me at golf. And I said, cool, let's put a designer handbag on it. Because I didn't even own a designer handbag. And I was like, I'm never spending that much money on one. So I was like, there's one way to try and win it. So I said, let's put a designer handbag on it. He's like done, skis. He's like, I will keel over in hell before I let you beat me. Don't want to spoil the ending. Guess who won Guess who has a love handbag.
Speaker 1: That seems like a really stupid bet for him because like losing it, it's just his dignity, but now it's losing it, and it's also so much money, like it's a game of mini golf.
Speaker 2: I didn't actually make him.
Speaker 1: I was never made him follow through with it. I can't see a handbag.
Speaker 2: No, I was never.
Speaker 3: Actually going to make him follow through with it, but I also knew how to make him want to follow through with it.
Speaker 1: I did something similar, but it wasn't so much a bet. It was more like it was a Matt wanted to go on the I'm Celebrity Jungle and I was like, okay, well I want a third kid, So if you're gonna go on the I'm a slipperty Jungle, then you're gonna give me a baby. And he said yes.
Speaker 2: So wow, this child blackmail thing, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: It was so rare. It's really hard when you're on different pages. And I was like, if you're gonna leave me for five weeks, like we need to reassess the having kids conversation. And he had always been on the fence, and then he became increasingly more enthusiastically on the fence when I said, yeah, go and do. I'm a celebrity, but only fucking I'm another kid.
Speaker 2: So he didn't have to win it. It was just if he did the show's away. Oh well that was Prince post Lanka.
Speaker 1: They didn't have to win it, just had to just go on a holiday. No, because I think that winning would have been a deterrent. Then I was like, if you're gonna go, at least give it a red hot shot, but then come back and get me pregnant.
Speaker 2: What are you saying watch this space soon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and Kieran Coulcolm Will haven't announced it soon. Now. I know everybody's talking about the oscars US included we've been, We've been following it, we've been talking about it. But there is another hugege awards ceremony that took over Australia last week.
Speaker 2: You actually attend, I have to tell you about.
Speaker 1: Okay, so most of you won't know what this is, but it's called the am CO Awards, and it's basically the awards for a very niche industry, and that is the influencer industry of Australia. So the best content creators, the best influencers and whoever have been doing the best brand deals alongside creating their contents. Because I mean, influencers get a bad rap. Influences are people too, and they deserve awards as well. Okay, somebody think of the influencers. No, I mean this, Influencers are kind of like mini micro agencies these days. On one hand, they have a bad rap because some of them are probably not as trustworthy as others, and they're hock and all kinds of things. But on the other hand, there are people who do take their online presence and businesses really seriously and they collaborate with really awesome brands.
Speaker 2: It's a serious job.
Speaker 3: We're joking when we say think of the influencers. It's a huge industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And every year my husband Matty Jay, he enters the awards and like he's been really lucky in the past to have one Content Creator of the Year, and he was shortlisted and nominated this year. So we got all dressed up last week and we've made our way down there, and like, for this very niche industry, it's a very big ward ceremony. So we were there and matt was nominated in an unusual category now hear me out. The reason why it was an unusual category was because it was for parenting and pets, so.
Speaker 2: In the same category.
Speaker 1: So they had amalgamated and I'm talking about not just like people who are parenting their pets, but I'm talking about pets that are like have personas, you know, how like you'll have a dog that has its own Instagram page.
Speaker 2: How is parenting and pets in the same category.
Speaker 1: So apparently there's not because there's not a lot of like really famous Australian pet Instagram. Sure, so there weren't that many entries in the pet category.
Speaker 3: So that doesn't mean you can put them in someone now you can lump them in with like beauty products, beauty and pets people.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently parenting and pets are kind of similar. That's what they discovered. So the reason why Matt was nominated is because you know, he is a doting dad as per his podcast two Don'ting Dads, and he does a lot of parenting style content on his Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 1: So Matt was there representing the parenting side, and there were also other people who were all parenting nominations and nominees in the finalists, and there were also pets alongside it, so hang on.
Speaker 2: Were the pets at the awards.
Speaker 1: It was like Matt sitting next to a dog, or like a budge or like a hamster. No, it was just sitting next to the people who were behind the pet page. Because it might surprise some of you, it might absolutely shock and horrify you. The pets themselves don't actually run their instagrams, like, they don't actually post the photos, they don't dress themselves up in berets, they're not drafting the posts. It's actually people who were behind these pet instagrams. So we're sitting there and it's like this big awards room and the shortlisted nominees get called out one by one and everyone's like clapping, waiting with suspense and baited breath. And AT's name gets caught.
Speaker 2: Out and MAT's already one before.
Speaker 1: And he's won it before. And I was like, slightly cockly, that's not a word. I was like cocky and cockerly. You got angry at me for using the word for raw and you say cockerly, I was cockying in my confidence. So I got my phone out and I was filming Matt so I could get his reaction on camera when he's proud of him what he won?
Speaker 2: Did you think it was a shoe in?
Speaker 1: I thought he was a shoe in for sure, hands down. Maddie j for Content Creator Pets and Family two years running and unfortunately he did not win the award. The winner of the award was cat chef. Princess Honeybell lost to a cat. A cat, A cat, a cat?
Speaker 2: I lost content.
Speaker 1: Greater the year.
Speaker 2: Just an animal that doesn't even have opposing thumbs.
Speaker 1: A cat that creates recipes and wears heartwarming costumes. That's what a cat does.
Speaker 2: Not create recipes? There is not what does she put in? A little bit of mouse, a little bit of bird?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: What was she making? She's a cat? To be fair, though, I did then go because I.
Speaker 1: Was like, I need to find out who this Princess Honeybelly.
Speaker 2: She showed me, She is showing me.
Speaker 1: She's so cute if you actually catt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a hot cat.
Speaker 1: She's wearing a beret and a scarf and a cute little purple sweater.
Speaker 2: To be fair, she's pretty cool. What was the award speech?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Nothing brings you back? Down to earth quicker than losing to a cat.
Speaker 1: Nicole Wade, She's the woman behind the cat. She's the one who has to come up with the creative concepts. I know that we're giggling and making jokes, but to be fair, the absolute dedication to the cause to work alongside a cat day in and day out, I think she deserves an award. No like yes, but the parenting Award. Sorry, everyone, it was great awards. Everyone did really well. HALLI commended. Last week, we spoke about a woman in the States who was going viral because she had decided to have no children at her wedding. Then someone had rocked up at her wedding and the poor thing, Claire had to suffer through a screaming baby through her vows. Have a listen to there. She's standing up there at the front doing her vows and all of a sudden she hears this.
Speaker 6: But I'm the only one that knows them. And one of the questions I asked was when did you know you were in love and wanted to spend the rest of your life together as husband and wife.
Speaker 1: Claire has come out and said she is now an advocate for completely Charred Free weddings because of this experience, and I think go off, Claire, really lend your time to stuff that matter is in the world.
Speaker 4: How do you how are you.
Speaker 2: An advocate for that? Do you go around to a wedding seat if his kids there and take him out?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What what are you doing? Well, we can ask that question, Claire, what are you doing? Because we have Claire on the line all the way for the day. We have so many questions for you about how this unfolded. But Claire, welcome to the show. Thanks guys for having me.
Speaker 5: I know there are so many questions and I'm ready to answer, So thanks guys for having me.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure you didn't expect it to go so virals had more than three million views, So I'm assuming the person in question has seen this. Are you still friends with the owner of the small screaming child?
Speaker 1: The parents?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this person has seen it. I have not talked to them. They have not given an apology, but honestly, I probably own apology for blasting them on the internet. But no, I haven't heard from them, and at this point I hope that they haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: We started here in Australia, So I'm pretty sure your friend.
Speaker 2: That was at the wedding has seen it.
Speaker 3: Maybe they've just gone cold because they're so embarrassed.
Speaker 5: I don't know they went called after the wedding too, So.
Speaker 1: Wait what happened? So when you did you say anything during your vows? Did you interrupted you? There was? So there was nothing that was mentioned during the wedding, No, my eyes said at all. That's why I give this okay if you don't know what is talking about in the clip. I've never seen quite such a profound stink eye that's come from a bride in mid vows. But obviously it's very distracting. Anyone who's listened to that would feel horrified if they had to listen through a baby screaming through their vows. And this comes from someone who has kids. I've been to loads of weddings that have children and loads of weddings that don't have kids. But I think the respectable thing is is that if your kids starts crying, you pick them up and you walk out so that the wedding can carry on uninterrupted. So did this person who was at your wedding just stay through the whole thing? They didn't even attempt to remove the child.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a little bit more to the story that I will thought I will tell yet, right before the wedding started, I guess the baby was being fussy. So this person walked out with the baby before the professional.
Speaker 1: Well they made their way back into the.
Speaker 5: Ceremony area when the wedding coordinator said no, you cannot enter. Because I know a lot of people on TikTok were asking why didn't the wedding corinator do something? And my wedding coordinator was a ten out of ten, So no het to her and no heed to the offician. They were awesome, and so this person they just wanted to see the ceremony.
Speaker 1: Claire, was this your side of the family or your partner side of the family? I cannot tell you.
Speaker 2: So how are you?
Speaker 3: I mean, we have heard now that you are an advocate for child free weddings.
Speaker 2: So what are you doing here? Are you pick it in?
Speaker 3: Are there is there a minibus where you're kidnapping the small children at weddings?
Speaker 2: What are you doing to stop this travesty?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean some people advocate for like women's rights. Yeah, Coral ready and you know so I started like a non for profit where I raise money for fueling my bus that goes around town. And when I hear children crying at weddings.
Speaker 1: Whisk them away.
Speaker 3: You go take them illegal in multiple countries.
Speaker 1: Claire, you are hilarious. Honestly, I think anybody, no matter whether you've got kids yourself or whether you had a kid free wedding, I don't think that there's a single person who would listen to that audio and think, oh, that's exactly what I want to interrupt my vows.
Speaker 2: Well, Claire, I am getting married in a couple of months. I might have to fly you over and put you at the doors hopkins getting into my waiting.
Speaker 1: I won't let anyone pass.
Speaker 5: Don't worry if you seed me there.
Speaker 1: Not even that kind of guess will get past me.
Speaker 2: How did you actually see because I know we spoke.
Speaker 3: About it here on the pick up, we put it on our socials.
Speaker 2: Did we tag you, Claire? Because I was like, did I did we tag you? Or did you just stumble across it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: You straight up at it me. And also you even said it on the radio break. You were like, tag Claire.
Speaker 2: I need to know.
Speaker 1: How is she advocating this was all you.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Claire. Thank you so much for coming and being part of the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks, guys, appreciate it.