Speaker 1: The christ John O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast about you both the last couple of days start to really look at your life and the one thing about everything that's going on around us all over the world and here in Australia makes you start to think about re evaluate everything. The stuff that brings the joy, the stuff that you thought brings you jo a bit doesn't anyway. This week it's maybe you think over the weekend, what will I never ever take for granted again? Because we will get through this, this will pass. I don't know what it's going to be like when we re emerge out of it, but it will. And what will you never ever take for granted again? I started to find a I sorta al must make a list over the weekend The christ Jian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast. So many things have been taken away that have been permanent, we take for granted that almost come an ordeal, and now they're not there. We can't get them so easily or at all. It just changes your appreciation of them and you really you feel their absence. For me, I'm someone that I'm not really a fan of shaking hands with mates. I know some of moment and male friends don't like hugging. But I absolutely love hugging my mates and I don't care if some of them feel very awkward around it, but I love doing that moment.
Speaker 2: You are a hugger.
Speaker 1: I am a hugger. I know sometimes you stand. They're not knowing You're still in that. You're at that age of life. You'll get their mate, You'll get there one day. You're not there yet. You're on the edge. You're almost entering in the puberty of hugging. I see it in your eyes. You want to break out the shell, but you're still You're still in there.
Speaker 2: I'm learning from the best.
Speaker 1: I missed. I miss the hugs. I really really miss the hugs. Twenty one thing as well, in all serious that I'm really not going to take for granted again is the people that we don't even see sometimes, and that ow is the people that work in supermarkets, Bunnings, coals, you know, warlworst that stack the shelves, that are written off and maligned as unskilled or low labor. How we ever could even classify a group of people that are really essential. You know, we talk about what is essential, what isn't essential. Those people are essential doing those jobs. We didn't realize how much we actually need them. They are essential. So I'm never going to take them for granted. And I'm not just going to see through them or as a silhouette or I am like a ghost that doesn't matter to me. I'm always going to acknowledge them. I really hope. I don't going to promise myself. I'm going to do that.
Speaker 2: And you'll start You'll start hugging them when we're allowed to touch again. People.
Speaker 1: I know, Okay, I'm not one of those these guys, Jack, What are you never going to take for grunted together?
Speaker 2: Just the simple act of going out to see your friends. I can I can be guilty of at the end of a long week someone trying to organize if your friends to catch up and you go can't, can't be bothered tonight, or like I'm just going to make up an excuse.
Speaker 1: That past tonight. Patsy knows what that's like. Yeah. Still, we tried to do.
Speaker 2: You don't realize until it's gone, but we tried to do virtual drinks on Saturday afternoon with all my buddies. So we had sixteen people on a zoom conference video conference and it just is not the same people talking over each other. It's like a breakfast, sure, but it's you got to imagine sixteen voices. You try to direct a question to one person, they don't hear. There's another side conversation going on. And then the worst part is there's long awkward silences because everybody gets scared to talk over each other. So at one, one or two points during the drinks, we're just sixteen people looking at each other.
Speaker 1: From the street. How strange, how strange, these are the things we're trying to do at the moment. Patsy, what's it for you? What are you never going to take for granted?
Speaker 3: You know, the biggest thing for me is just human touch, just you know, I love cut a little girl and getting as.
Speaker 1: You're breaking up there, Yeah, yeah, you have to tell Chris again to get offline. I thought we spoke about red hot DUTs. Oh no, he's going for session.
Speaker 2: Chris is missing that human touch as well.
Speaker 4: I need at.
Speaker 3: It's the human touch for me because you know, a touchy feely person, aren't I Like I have to hold your arm if I'm talking to you. I'm a bit annoying like that.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing for me is freedom of movement, like going wherever you want, whenever you want, just getting in the car and going and being. And the other thing is for me my job. We're so lucky that we're seen as in essential service and that weekend.
Speaker 1: Every day, my kids are worried of the weekend. I mean they always are constantly. If your dad was me, you'd be worried about surely some day is going to get fired. And they were like, are you going to be okay? I said, I'm really lucky. I hope so, you know, I said, I really hope so, And I'm very lucky just by the job that we have, what we do here. We're lucky anyway getting to come and do this, and I've appreciated it even more because of there's not a lot of laughter sometimes during the day in our lives right now because it's terrifying. It is actually scary. It's like it's like at the moment, you know the bit in Toy Story three where they're moving the conveyor belts kind of moving, you wonder, what are we moving to something which is even worse and we nowhere near the worst of it. I don't know, and so when we have this hopefully where you know, when we hang out together and we laugh together, Oh my god, I'm so lucky that this is actually what I get to do for a living. So yeah, I really appreciate this job. All right, let's go, Let's take some call now, know four one four one O four three Charlie, good morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, how are christ And it's Charlie from Black Rocket.
Speaker 1: You going, oh good Charlie. And what are you never going to take for granted again?
Speaker 4: Look, I'm actually for everything you guys were just saying. A second. Ay, I'm a physio in private practice, and the one thing that I can't do now is actually see my patients. You know, within that one and a half meters, I can't touch them as I normally would do is as a treading therapist. And if you take that for granted, every time you go to work, it's just a patient comes in, You're helping them with the pain. Now I'm doing some telehealth stuff where I'm giving them advice doing all the things online. But it's just not the same. And you know, every day I went to work for the last thirty six thirty seven years, you sort of do take that for granted, And I can tell you when this all changes and I go back there, it'll be, you know, very much a different environment for me.
Speaker 1: Brilliant. What an amazing thing to get from it, though.
Speaker 4: Oh look, it's just one of those things that you know, we've got a big practice bayside, you're part of the world, and it's just one of those things we sit back and we go, you know, maybe we should be thinking about things a little differently now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wonder whether we're going to when we do come out of this, whether it is actually hopefully going to be something better and different and we put some different things in place. You wonder whether we're all collectively feeding this globally, aren't we And we've never done that ever before. What a chance to actually make some changes to something different. You have to hope that maybe what remains is better.
Speaker 4: Oh look, I agree one hundred percent. You know, we've got people coming the door now, and you can see the fear on their faces, and I'd like to see that less. You know, they're always fearful of pain, Now they're fearful of other things. And it's a scary thought, scary time we're living through. But yeah, I agree with you. We're going to get through this. We're all going to be better people for it because we've learned to get along again, I think, and we're just doing things differently and hopefully over the time we'll just stay better.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I think we don't want to go back to old habits. That's that's probably the bigger issue that I find is that, you know, we resort back to old habits.
Speaker 1: Very clear, Charlie, Well, sir, thank you very much. You cool mate, have a good week, stay.
Speaker 4: Safe and you too. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: The Question O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast