Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 2: A podcast by a couple of mies.
Speaker 1: This is so exciting. OSSI TV legend Oussie Radio legend guys, please welcome our Kiss f fam a colleague and host of the three pm.
Speaker 3: Pick up Kate Legards.
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 3: Do you know what? I'm so sated?
Speaker 2: You're so what now?
Speaker 3: Sated?
Speaker 1: Sated?
Speaker 3: I'm full, I'm satisfied.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know what?
Speaker 4: The reason I've actually dragged you in here, Kate, is to talk about your vocabulary. So the fact that you've already taught me and you were within the first few seconds of joining us, is actually incredible.
Speaker 1: This is very exciting because every day, driving into work, because I do nights here at Kiss, Kate does the three pm pick up, which is the pick up the school pickup time three to four pm. I hear your show every day and it's the one show that I truly listen to every single day because it's sort, it's punchy, it's just an hour. It's so much fun. I love it. And you're back this year, which is great.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am back.
Speaker 2: I do enjoy it too.
Speaker 3: You don't enjoy it, no, I seriously, you can't just chip in on them and hitch your wagon to Mitch's horse.
Speaker 2: Me I would not.
Speaker 4: I'm not hitching myself to that thing. And no, in any way am I the horse in this?
Speaker 3: You know, I call the show. They call the show Mitch Mitch hitch, or we could go Mitch Mitch bitch.
Speaker 1: That's us. It's great to have you here, Kate. So we start the show off the same way every week. The show is is It just Me? With two I gems as we call them, which is a new word we've coined, I I, JM.
Speaker 4: And mine actually does relate to something that I heard on the three PM pick up.
Speaker 2: That's that's why I brought you in here. Actually, I was like, I've got to bring this up with Kate. I did already mention it. I've blome alow. But hey, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: All right first, gym, let's go is it just me?
Speaker 4: Does Kate Langluk have the most wonderful vocabulary in the world.
Speaker 3: It's stunning.
Speaker 2: I learn a new word every day listening to Kate. I'm like, God, a pull over my car and write that down. Don't even know what it means.
Speaker 1: Is this a compliment for you, Kate?
Speaker 3: Or no? Well? I do you know what. I don't think that people who invented commercial radio invented it to be like the Shakespeare of our time? Do you know what I mean? Vanilla most popular flavor? Nobody likes the fucking wordy lady in the corner with the singer of thesaurus. No one likes that. I don't think any of our bosses would be sitting there going, oh, she uses words people don't know. Oh, that'll get the ten plus flowing in.
Speaker 2: Have they ever said anything about it?
Speaker 3: No? Do you think they probably will after this?
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll sit you down and may go Kate. I take a seat Betty in Penrith, Which is the analogy I always get Betty and Penrith doesn't understand the word analogy, but.
Speaker 3: I think Betty does, because I do think that Australians speak quite colorfully and beautifully, like do you know what we love? You know a bit of rhyming slang or a bit of a cleverick expression, aura, you know we do that? What didn't you understand?
Speaker 4: Well, I've got the audio here, so this is what I heard the other day, Betty.
Speaker 3: I'm going to call you, Betty. Why didn't you understand Betty.
Speaker 1: I'll roll the audio.
Speaker 3: Bety, you do it for yourself because my legs look so beautiful and smooth, and they're offset by the stunning vista behind them. Let me share this with the world, who otherwise heaps derision upon me and my body?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's deep much.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't know what that means, but I'm just sitting around waiting for the opportunity to accuse someone of heaping derision upon me and my body.
Speaker 3: Betty, nobody would heap derision upon you?
Speaker 2: What could mean?
Speaker 3: You are the archetype. It means they mock me.
Speaker 2: Really, that just means mock.
Speaker 3: Heap derision means they mock me. But but well, derision means like in a more negative way.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, I literally, I'm not even kidding.
Speaker 3: I wrote it down.
Speaker 4: I was like, heaps derision, heaps derision. Funnily enough, it hasn't come up once. But I'm waiting for the day you waiting for the day.
Speaker 1: You face some derision. Division.
Speaker 3: Mitch heaps derision on you all the time, and vice versa. That's Latin.
Speaker 2: Have you heard that it's mostly the other way around?
Speaker 1: Have you heard vice versa?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I know what you.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Betty, I don't know how your Latin studies went.
Speaker 2: No, not good. Did you also have a good vocabulary when you were living in Italy for two years? Like? How was your vocab there?
Speaker 3: You would have loved me there because I spoke so simply, like a toddler, like give food.
Speaker 1: Me barata salami, tummy.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that's all I needed siesta. Yes, I was like a two year old.
Speaker 2: Oh that would have killed you, not knowing all the words you know here?
Speaker 3: Do you know what? That is so true, even though I think you're slightly keeping derision on Betty's a bit anyway, because I'm so used to opening my mental drawers and the elves when they wake up and I opened, there's heaps of words, so many words. And when my mental elves open the drawers in Italy there was nothing.
Speaker 1: Moths would fly out, like, oh that's beautiful, that's that sounds great, you know what, that's so funny. I watched the Joan Rivers documentary a long time ago, and the one thing that stuck with me was that she said her jokes in her brain works in the same way as like a rolodex, Like she will be in a situation she will just open the roller DECKX and her brain will go to flick through, pull out a joke and then she can just you know, slam it out there by road. And I think that's such a skill to have.
Speaker 3: Well, that happens to me with words. But isn't that everyone? That's how talking work.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm just gonna say that, isn't That's just a really fancy way of saying she has a memory?
Speaker 1: All right, to lay off with a derivesion, I can't even fucking say it.
Speaker 2: Lay off with the division derision, It'll.
Speaker 3: Be the Derision division. I like Bitch show.
Speaker 1: Now this is poor Jed is going to have the fright of her life when she returns to the show rebranded as the Mitch, Mitch and Bitch. What did I do?
Speaker 3: That's like Will and Woody when I came back, asked if i'd come back to take their job. But I'm like, I had your job. If I wanted your job, I wouldn't have left your job.
Speaker 2: And you had that job and you couldn't stand it?
Speaker 3: All right, we've done derision. What's next on our learning at our learning academy? Or was that that was just.
Speaker 4: The one that I needed clarity on because I heard it the other day. But I have taken quite a few from you. I remember you used the word repast to refer to just like a meal, and I was like, she was repasted?
Speaker 2: Here there you go. And I was like, I was like, Mum, when's our repast ready?
Speaker 3: She's like, where the did Mama.
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 3: Betty? Because this is the thing about words. There's a different one for everything and a repast, and I'm sure I would have said a sumptuous repast because there are two words that always go together. Yes, you know what I mean, Like Mitch and Mitch they're inseparable.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's more.
Speaker 3: Stunning than just a meal dinner? Where's me plate? Mum? No, why can't we be Why can't we elevate ourselves? That means lift up, Betty? Why can't we enjoy being the best versions of ourselves? Why do we always have to be so basic?
Speaker 2: I agree that Bloody write down all the big words.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I tend to agree. I've got to I've got a Kate related im two now that we think of it, and it's something that I feel like I do too. Are you ready to hear mine Caine.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait. I'm adoring this. Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Is it totally fine to laugh at the jokes that you make?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, next at.
Speaker 1: The end of the show, Jan we get out of here. I completely agree, Kate. It's something that I've noticed that you do, is something that I do. Mitch pulls me up on it. Sorry, Betty pulls me up on it all the time.
Speaker 2: I don't pull you up on it.
Speaker 4: But I just remember at an early age Dad saying, oh, it's rude to laugh at your own jokes.
Speaker 3: And you know what, you know what he was doing, clipping your wings? Yes, like Icarus, google it, you would have flown so close to the sun save for your father. I did have to say to my husband once when we started dating, there's enough people in this world that don't want the best for you. It's a very I have to say, prevailing Australian attitude as well. I don't know. I've only lived in one other country overseas, but people are always like, back in your bark, you got chickens on yourself. Oh you love yourself as though that's an insult anyway, true, but I just think that's a wing Clipper. It is a bit I think, why wouldn't you laugh at your own jokes? And of course you're not funny.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: I'm fully aware of my being hilarious.
Speaker 4: But the thing is that I think that it's fine to laugh at your own jokes if your laugh in of itself is hilarious, like you and Mitch have very iconic laughs, Like I just laugh because you're laughing sometimes.
Speaker 3: Well, because I've got a cackle, you.
Speaker 4: Do, and I'm fully in support of it. So whether you're laughing at your own jokes anyone else's, I don't care.
Speaker 1: I have an example. So this is when your co host Monty called through to the show the three pm pick up to announce that she had had her own little baby, and this was your this was your reaction, came.
Speaker 3: I've seen photos. He looks like his brothers, amazing because they don't have the same father.
Speaker 2: I haven't broken.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Can you even believe that I have a daughter who's about to turn nineteen? Yes? Yeah, I remember I was pregnant on Channel V she was breastfeeding the makeup chair. Wow, who was Bruce feeding her? Very funny anyway, So I like how she's.
Speaker 2: The first to laugh at her own joke.
Speaker 3: It's the best, totally. Your dad wouldn't like it, Betty, I like it.
Speaker 2: No, it must be a city thing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you have to, yes, because you might be talking to people who are dead insung. Yeah, true, yeah, I just really, you've got to be in control of your own emotional state, and that includes enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it also lends a hand to the other people to say, hey, it's okay to laugh too. Here's an invitation to laugh. It's all right if a joke was a little bit inappropriate or on the nose. Then if you laugh and they go.
Speaker 3: Not particularly funny, yes, they miss, they miss.
Speaker 4: Very true fake laugh, Kate, Or is it always genuine? Because Mitch has actually nailed a fake laugh, and so I.
Speaker 2: Never know whether to believe him. It is he pitying me and just fake laughing, or is he actually laughing?
Speaker 3: Yes, I say that without having hurt the joke. No one wants to be mean to Betty.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no. I haven't differentiated the two. So my genuine laugh is identical to my fake laugh, and that's where I've gone wrong. So there's no one can ever tell the difference.
Speaker 3: Really, So I sometimes. In fact, in that last one I did do a fake laugh. But it's a funny fake laugh.
Speaker 1: Oh the that was no. Go Yeah, that's different. That's that's high comedy in itself. You're allowed.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I noticed you're not laughing at it.
Speaker 2: That's fake.
Speaker 1: That's fake fake.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I love it because it's got that wee month.
Speaker 1: That's the wheeze. Our listeners compared it to a little duckling. Sometimes it has a little it's in a minute of a week.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, do you smoke?
Speaker 1: No, I've had one Marlborough read in my life had an instant nosebleed.
Speaker 3: Never, you're a chronic vapor. I mean something's going on there.
Speaker 1: No, I was born three months premature. The neuroformax in the lung. And thanks for bringing up but it's lung issues.
Speaker 3: Well I know Mitchell's frequently premature, but he doesn't. We very OK.
Speaker 1: That is so, that is so apt. We do a segment on this show called We Do O Kate. Kate might have some advice.
Speaker 4: She doesn't have to deal with the rectile dysfunction on account of her any depressant.
Speaker 3: No, you don't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't you get your own, maybe someone else I don't know's true.
Speaker 3: And who's got the bigger problem? It would be me. It would because at least you know what's going on with the flaccid Latin Google at Betty.
Speaker 4: Mitch likes to mock me because at age twenty four, they prescribe me vi AGRAA to counteract to the antidepressants, being a bony killer.
Speaker 3: Antidepressants, So shocking for that. But haven't they improved them?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: Not the ones I'm taken, clearly not not the strength.
Speaker 3: How hurtful for the people you with. Let's just let's just have a moment to acknowledge them, I know.
Speaker 4: Because it's not like I can fake it as like a woman can just be like, oh yeah, I'm really into it.
Speaker 3: No, you know, God's right, It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Speaker 4: Yes, Google, Betty, the problem.
Speaker 1: Down? How do you google? Got an iPad going to? Now? The problem was is that he couldn't work out the timings, so he pop appeal two minutes before you know, sort of copulation two minutes takes a couple of hour. Well, they go home and then he get a buddy, you know, Stiffy halfway through Friends. So it's not good. But he's worked it out. Now, this is all embellished.
Speaker 3: Don't believe you go home to watch Friend? No, no, you do. You're sure, Betty? I think Friends is a very Betty shot.
Speaker 2: You know what I do? I go home and listen to the three pm pickup.
Speaker 1: Oh he's good.
Speaker 3: Know what we are very Betty. We're totally there for Betty. I adore Betty. The unsung heroes of the world are the Beaties.
Speaker 2: I can you know.
Speaker 3: No one's checking out to see what she's wearing on in stuff. But let me tell you, if you want a passion fruit sponge, you're going straight be No instant models ever provided comfort at a funeral. Sandwiches Dunning.
Speaker 1: You know what, I think there's a hole. There's a hole in the market there for influencers who are actually influencing the right ship. Have you ever been sold anything via influencing? Kane, you buying the BB oil that carry Big Mare's sprooking.
Speaker 3: Or what's bby oil?
Speaker 1: It's clearly not working.
Speaker 3: The the BB cream? Yeah, I bought baby cream. That's quite good.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, but I didn't know Carrie was on to it not putting me off it.
Speaker 1: No, you and I had the same We were doing the same instant stories for every plate, which is brilliant and family friendly.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, do you know what's happened with my every plate that I've just realized I've lost weight? Really, yes, because I'm not shopping as much right and so I'm not there for the milky bar, the King of the bar, king of the white chocolate. You can jam your Cadbury whatever it's called, Nat Nat bebby, don't come at me with it anyway. Yeah, I lost weight from every plate.
Speaker 4: Mitch was very tough to be able to be able to be able to brag, Oh, I've got the same brand dealers Kate lang Rog. We're both flogging the same thing on Instagram. And I'm like, yeah, but you're probably doing it for a fraction of the.
Speaker 1: Fee I was.
Speaker 3: He was just happy for the food.
Speaker 1: I was, Now, what the hell happened? We need to talk about this. It's the TV show that you did on Channel ten a couple of weeks back. It was all about reflecting on the year that was with COVID nineteen Life in Lockdown on Zoom Interviews and you narrated the Great Year.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm the voiceover person.
Speaker 4: I missed it. It's up on ten play to watch bag of a minute to do that. But did you throw in any of your own stories about lockdown in Italy? Which was far worse than it was here?
Speaker 3: There was no time, unlike you guys, it was no time for Katie. I just had to keep the story rattling along because there was a lot to fit in. Yes, it was a hell of a year. I don't know if you noticed.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I was thriving, has a great yf us.
Speaker 3: Well, can I just say I really enjoyed Lockdown?
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. Are you an introvert?
Speaker 3: No? But you know what I am. I was tired. I got four kids, I was living on the other side of the world. That's a lot of work. Even though I was technically not working. It was just nice to have the breather.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a brief period right when you were actually working out of Italy.
Speaker 2: Didn't you have your own little home story.
Speaker 3: I did for the first six months. Yeah, right, I was so tired.
Speaker 2: Did that little home studio just end up gathering dust?
Speaker 3: Like what happened. It wasn't at home. It was like two kilometers from my house, but still in the city or as we call genter Oh google it, Betty change not c h is with a C, but it's pronounced because it's in another language.
Speaker 2: Added to the list. The list.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it was about two kilometers from my place and it was in a filmmaker's office because they used to move big files and Sasha, our producer, found it because they had the best internet in blow.
Speaker 4: So now you're back in Australia and you're like, I can't even watch fucking friends.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, you are sport on.
Speaker 2: Isn't it just garbage?
Speaker 3: What has gone on? Wait?
Speaker 2: What is thet general?
Speaker 3: Third world countries that have got better Wi Fi than Australia?
Speaker 2: All right, I would definitely agree, like it's I feel.
Speaker 3: Like it's gotten worse. It has got more since I was away.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well you should force you to listen to the three pm pick up podcast. Cake, We'll have to get your back on.
Speaker 3: Five G anytime. Mitch, Mitch and Me.
Speaker 1: We loved you. That was fun. God, you're a good fit for this show, I feel Do you go on the show sometime you talk about business plans, you have to go on and talk about climate crisis? Is this your vibe? Sort of just ship talk?
Speaker 3: Do I strike you as someone who's invited on any show to talk about business plan?
Speaker 1: Very intelligent and I'd listen to you talk about business.
Speaker 3: Plans, But that's because you know nothing. I mean so relative to that, yes, relative to that, of course I seem smart, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Note to we've just been absolutely ribbed by Brook for the last thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Privilege me too, Betty. I adore you.
Speaker 2: Oh likewise, Darling, it's been a pleasure. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: We love you.
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 2: A podcast by a couple of Miches