Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Lately, there has been a lot of talk about bitcoin, the popular cryptocurrency which is having a huge moment right now. But what actually is bitcoin, how does it work? And is it a good idea to get involved in? Today Victoria lays her opinions on the table. Oh now, my name is Georgia King, and joining me today for our cryptocurrency chat is financial Advisor Victoria Define. Hello, Viki Dick. Hello, let's get straight into it here, v with a little quick fire around. What I want from you is one sentence answers only here, so no v tangent straight.
Speaker 3: This was not in the script.
Speaker 2: But okay, okay, Victoria. Do you own any crypto? No?
Speaker 3: I don't, Victoria.
Speaker 2: Do you recommend crypto to any of your clients?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, Victoria.
Speaker 2: Doesn't everyone who gets into crypto make heaps of money?
Speaker 3: They absolutely do not. Okay, Well, we've really started on a negative front.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, setting the tone for things to come. Now, let's jump in with the basics. What is cryptocurrency and why does it seem like everybody in the world is talking about bitcoin right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, so everybody is talking about it because it has had such a big surge in recent history. Right, So it did have a big surge a couple of years ago, and then it kind of dropped off a bit, and now it's had another surge again. And now what I need you to understand about this, and you need to before I even explain what this is properly is for you guys to understand the emotional investment journey. And we've spoken about this on other podcasts, but essentially it's kind of like stacks on. It's like you saying to me, Georgia, oh my god, bitcoin, you need to buy crypto, and I go, oh my god. Well, Georgia said, I need to buy crypto, and there's a lot of excitement going around. But what's happening is that excitement of you purchasing because your friend was purchasing and you kind of didn't want to miss out. You had a bit of fomo is actually pushing the price higher because we're playing stacks on, and that is not necessarily a good thing, because you actually don't want to buy something while it's being saturated. That's actually the point of maximum risk in investment. You actually want to purchase when it's really low. That's not to say you should be waiting for it to get to low. We'll explain exactly what it is and why I don't personally invest in it in this episode. So now I'm not super negative when it comes to bitcoin. Albeit I have just expressed a lot of negative views about it in about a thirty second period, which is quite impressive, to be honest. But the reason I don't like bitcoin is because it doesn't fit any of my client's risks profiles, and it genuinely is such a risky asset to me, it is not worth it, regardless of what the returns could potentially be. So jumping right into what it is, cryptocurrency is a form of digital currency, and it's based on what is called blockchain technology. So all of that is a bit of a mouthful, but essentially a blockchain is essentially like a checkbook that's shared across an incredible number of computers around the world in terms of where the blockchain's name comes from. All transactions are recorded in what they call blocks, which are then added to a chain of all previous transactions. It's a distributed ledger sexy name that records all of the transactions that have been made. Now, unlike regular types of currency like dollars or yeens or pounds, cryptocurrency is what we call decentralized, which means it's completely unregulated by any financial authority and exists completely independently from the government or any type of central bank. Now, decentralization, when you explain it like that, does sound pretty good. It does have a number of perks, like crypto currency being a global currency with the same value everywhere in the world. Kind of cool, especially in twenty twenty one. However, the flip side of that is that cryptocurrency is extremely risky, which I mentioned before. Now, if we look at stats in December twenty twenty, the total value of all cryptocurrencies was he in excess of six hundred and forty five point seven billion dollars. The total value of bitcoins came to around four hundred and twenty one billion dollars. So bitcoin is the key player here, let's be brutally honest, but it's not the only type of cryptocurrency. There are more than six seven hundred different types of cryptocurrencies out there, according to a website we've never referred to before called coin marketcap dot com.
Speaker 2: I trust them so trustworthy.
Speaker 3: Let's keep it. Don't question today?
Speaker 2: Is bitcoin on everyone's lips? You mentioned before that it has had that massive surge, but it's not the first time we've heard of bitcoin. It was floating around a couple of years ago, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And I think it would be naive of me to say, oh, no, one's going to make money with this, Like I genuinely know people in real life who have made bank from buying bitcoin. I'm not saying this is not something that if it appeals to you, you shouldn't invest your money in. What you need to understand is it is incredibly risky. Essentially, bitcoin could disappear tomorrow and no one will be none the wiser the end of the day. What happens if it gets taken down, what happens if it gets deleted off the internet. Essentially there is no basis for it. So if we talk about a share in a company, let's take a bank, because that's quite a bland example. You buy a share of bank A and what that share gives you is the ability to have some of their income and also have some of their capital growth. And there is a physical asset that is making that money. There are people behind it making work. Whereas bitcoin, and we say bitcoin, but that's like a brand of cryptocurrency cryptocurrency. There's nobody actually making it work. It is something that has been digitally created and we are as humans putting a value on that.
Speaker 2: And it's a currency.
Speaker 3: It's a currency, so you can trade on the internet with it. You can purchase things on the internet. It's not as common as you know, being able to PayPal something, yeah, but you can definitely purchase things. One of the reasons why people on the internet especially love this and why I guess it goes so far back. It's kind of a little bit underground, right, So you could purchase bitcoins to make anonymous purchases online, so you can imagine the types of content that people are purchasing when you know, you can be completely so it's not actually got good bases, if that makes sense. So, like you know, decentralization is great, having you know, the same value all around the world. We're seeing all these positives. It's great. But the reason a lot of people initially wanted it was to be super anonymous and purchase things that potentially they shouldn't have been purchasing online.
Speaker 2: And what is the value of bitcoin right now?
Speaker 3: Bitcoin is essentially back, I guess has gone in ebbs and flows. But bitcoin is bad because of its recent jump in value. Essentially it has gone up forty two thousand dollars each bitcoin, not a little bit, not overall, like, each bitcoin is now worth forty two thousand dollars more than it was historically, which people seem to think is the result of a wave of money from institutional investors, which was propelled by COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, so tell us more about bitcoin. It's obviously the largest form of cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: So the Bitcoin Market Journal, which is a real thing, estimated that there are over one hundred million bitcoin users globally. It was created more than a decade ago in January two thousand and nine, which happens to be the year I graduated high school Georgia, which turns out more than a decade ago, which followed on from the financial crash of two thousand and eight, which you guys would have heard of as the GFC. Yes, it was designed as an alternative to government and central banks controlling the money and the economy, so kind of made a bit of sense at the time. There are no actual physical bitcoin, so when you buy bitcoin, you don't actually get a piece of a bitcoin. There's no actual tangible cash. Instead, it's just balances on a public transparent ledger system known as blockchain. So that's where that comes in, which we mentioned before, which is verified by an incredible amount of computing power. So all of it is kind of and you can look into it and understand it deeply, and there are going to be a lot of people commenting on this being like Victoria, you've really simplified it so much more complex. Here's how it works. I get that. I fully understand that. Please do not think for two seconds that we haven't done our research here. I don't fully understand it. But at the end of the day, I genuinely don't believe that a lot of our listeners understand what bitcoin is apart from a thing that you're able to buy online that you know is worth a lot and is a bit of a hype right now. And I think it's a bit worrying because these types of people who are saying, oh my gosh, well, I'm going to buy a bitcoin. I've done my research. Like, you don't understand your risk profile, you don't understand your long term investment strategy, you don't understand what you should actually be putting into a well diversified portfolio. Yet you're jumping straight to the risky assasst that I believe you could purchase.
Speaker 2: Sure, And a lot of people would think that being well researched means like how to chat with dad. Dad bought a bitcoin. Now it's doubled in value. I'm going to do it as well. That isn't actually proper research there, so oh my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, yes, And like, please do not get me wrong. I have friends and I also have you know, acquaintances in people that I know who have made more than a million dollars from bitcoin. We're not talking they've made a million dollars this year because they bought it, because they're increased in value. I know people who bought it when like I can't remember what it started off as, but like they bought a bitcoin for eight bucks, right, and they made bank.
Speaker 2: So this is back in the day.
Speaker 3: Like this is way back in the day. Like I remember when I was in high school, I did circulate with the cool kids who talked about blockchain technology, spent all their time in the library, and at that point they were talking about it really yep. And I remember them talking about it in online forums and being like, oh my gosh, this is the way of the future, meeting like I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah this wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So at that point I literally had no idea. But it has been around for a while, it definitely has surged in popularity, and it's also come back again. But I do believe the way it's come back is because we're seeing institutions actually invest in this because they see a future in it, which makes retail investors like you are High Georgia a little bit more comfortable with it because you're like, well, if big instos are backing it, well, obviously it's safe. That does not mean that. It just means they see a potential return that they want exposure to.
Speaker 2: And can you talk a little bit more about the hype around this and how much FOMO is really playing into everyone buying into this right now?
Speaker 3: I think people genuinely just want to be involved in what they think is going to be the next big thing, Like, don't get me wrong, I get fomo. When people start really deeply talking about bitcoin, I'm like, oh, is it worth it? Maybe? But at the same time, I know me per I would not want to be exposed to that. I'm very conservative. It is absolutely not something I should be dabbling with or even playing with. But I do know people who have done it and people who are continuing to do it and enjoying it, So we're not saying here that it is a really bad thing. I think my negativity right now is actually coming from a place of concern because I'm seeing so many people post in our community and asking comments about like how do I buy a bitcoin, and like we need to educate ourselves. We need to have this conversation and just say, look, this is great. It's a form of currency. It is a form of currency that you're able to invest in. But that form of currency has no physical basis. You don't have a business behind it that maybe if they don't make profit and you don't get dividends, like it's okay, because the next year it might perform again, like it could literally disappear, and that's one of the risks that you're taking. And I think that people assume that the share market is similar to that, when in reality it absolutely isn't. And if you're only exposure to quote investing is in bitcoin and cryptocurrencies and things that you can actually lose significant amounts of cash, like, you're going to be tainted by that. You're not going to feel comfortable with investing, and you're going to put you know, your financial future at a disadvantage because you don't actually fully understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the fact that it's not backed by any anything of substance is quite scary as well. When I was reading up on bitcoin, it was just created by some literally like some guy off the back of the global financial crissis, and it's so elusive and like he now doesn't exist and it's all it's it's weird.
Speaker 3: So it's weird, and it is one of those things that we can talk about until the cows come home. But I just really wanted to talk about it so that you guys know that we are addressing it at the same time as going, oh, I'm not exactly going to do an entire podcast on how to buy a bitcoin and what type of asset it is, Like, I'm currently doing this mini series of the four asset classes that you can investing in Australia that are safe and that are you know, going to be in line with your invested profile once you work out what that is. So we're talking cash, talking fixed interest, we're talking shares and property. Those things, while they carry risk. When we talk about risk, those risks are significantly different to the type of risk that you take when you take your hard earned money and put it into an asset that you cannot trace on the internet.
Speaker 2: It just feels like gambling to me, like I am completely risk averse in every sense, and to me, I'm just like, there's no way I would ever consider this, but obviously a lot of people are, and that's why we're talking about it. But I wanted to ask you b what the history of bitcoin has been like, because I know a few years back it did really boom and everyone was talking about it, but then it plummeted. The value just went straight on down and it was kind of embarrassing and we were like, oh, Bitcoin, those silly people, they are the geniuses. Yes they sold them or trade them or however exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's what we've got to remember. Like big coin has some really high highs and some also really low lows. And I think it's one of those assets that I wouldn't want my share portfolio to look like that. So if we're talking about historicals, at the end of twenty seventeen, bitcoin traded it close to twenty thousand dollars, so when we talk about bitcoins, we're talking about one bitcoin Georgia. At the end of twenty seventeen, bitcoin was trading it close to twenty thousand dollars per bitcoin, but twelve months later it was only worth three thousand, two hundred dollars. So if you went and purchased a twenty thousand dollar bitcoin, you'd be, you know, maybe going home with your bat and ball with your tail between your legs. But now two years on from that, it's trading at super high levels again, and one bitcoin is now worth forty two thousand dollars, So it is having a very up and down journey, but at the same time it is still just as risky as it was historically. Now there are going to be a lot of people that believe the bitcoin is the way of the future, because, as we were talking about before, it's a global currency like a bitcoin today in Australia is worth exactly what a bitcoin in London is worth. It is exactly what a bitcoin in Africa is worth, and that's kind of cool that we'd have a centralized currency system. Finally, the scary thing for me is that centralized currency system has no basis. We don't know where it came from, we don't know how that bitcoin was made. And I'm sure there are a lot of you know, really tech savvy people who are going to turn around me and be like, well, Victoria, and I get that. But if I, as a financial advisor, who I would argue is relatively well educated, cannot understand the basis of this investment or this business for me to put my hard earned money into, it's a no from me, So Georgia. At the end of the day, this isn't a stable investment by any stretch of the imagination. And though it increases and that sounds really exciting, it's just an indicative of how volatile of an investment this is. So I think that what we really need to take from this is if you want to invest in bitcoin, fantastic, But what I want you to do is go and do your research. I want you to understand each and every single aspect of it, the pros, the cons, whether it works for you. And I think that you really need to, as a human put yourself in the best possible position and go, is there something that I'm willing to risk? And you know what, if you are willing to risk that money and say, all right, well, if I invest in bitcoin, I want you to be comfortable with the idea that you won't get any of that money that you've invested back. And if you can't say you're comfortable with that, don't do it. You're listening to She's on the Money with Victoria Devine and Georgia King.
Speaker 2: Now, please don't forget, guys, that the podcast is not the only space you can find Victoria and the team. We have a booming Facebook group, one hundred and thirty thousand people in that wild.
Speaker 3: How good is that? I know, I've got so many friends.
Speaker 2: We have conversations like this one every single day, every single hour, celebrating money wins, helping each other answer money dilemmas, ad It's pretty much the most wholesome plus on the Internet. I think it's safe to say.
Speaker 3: People post pictures of their dogs and let us know what their kids are up to. It's literally so wholesome.
Speaker 2: So join us there if you're not there already, guys, but let's get back into this chat with the serious stuff.
Speaker 3: Fee.
Speaker 2: We've heard a lot of hype about bitcoin lately, but what are the dangers of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies?
Speaker 3: Like, at the end of the day, I feel like I have covered this, so sorry to anyone listening at home and doesn't want to hear me reiterate points over and over. But at the end of the day, it is extremely risky and it is volatile. If you're going to invest, I just need you, like I really really need you to be prepared to lose some more all of your money. It's not really a question for me. It's something that says you're actually taking a bit of a punt on this. You could lose everything that you put in, and I think that that is something that you need to consider and go, Okay, well, if I lost it all, it wouldn't hurt me. Maybe it's a couple of one hundred dollars and you go, yep, that's that's the risk I'm willing to take. But if it's not, my friend, we shouldn't be doing that and to kind of put this into some level of understandable framework. I guess we can look at it from a profit and lost angle. Right, if you invested in bitcoin at the start of last year, you would have been sitting at about three hundred percent profit by the end of twenty twenty. So that's not bad. That's that's pretty quite good, it's quite smart. But if you'd invested at the start of twenty eighteen, and so many people did this is not uncommon, that was a very high purchase time, and then you sold at the end of that year, you would have lost seventy three percent of your money, which is obviously a massive fluctuation. But again, it's about when you get into the market and when you get out of the market and working out how to seize an opportunity, which is not always clear. And I know that a lot of people lost a lot of money because they thought the bitcoin would go up and up and up and up, and they left their money and what go up, even though they should have pulled it out and you know, just taken their profits and run, they didn't, and they lost a lot. And like, I'm just not I'm not a risky person. My friends and literally, just like anything, the value of cryptocurrency is can I start calling it? Crypto? Are cool enough? The value of crypto is tied to supply and demand, but it's super difficult to determine what will actually drive up and down the price beyond that, which makes it super risky because we can't say, oh, okay, new problems, like this industry's done really well, therefore we'll probably see an increase in price. Like we literally don't know what drives bitcoin or crypto for that better.
Speaker 2: Now, you said earlier that you have not invested in crypto or biggoin you don't intend to. I feel like we are getting a sense of why, But are there any other reasons you haven't mentioned yet?
Speaker 3: To be honest, it just feels really risky and not something that I'm going to be adding to my portfolio in the near future or at all. I just don't believe in owning bitcoin because it just doesn't align to my values and what I'm looking to achieve. And I'm definitely one of those people that looks at my investment portfolio and I much prefer, you know, my portfolio is earning more than this, but i'd much prefer a steady income stream of five percent growth every single year than the three hundred percent growth with the chance to lose seventy three percent of my money. Like, I just don't want to put myself in those shoes.
Speaker 2: And you don't think it's the future of finance in any way.
Speaker 3: Once I see some more serious statistics and some more big names getting behind it and really understanding what that looks like. Sure, right now it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: And what would you say is a safer alternative? If people are super excited by the high return that bitcoin seems to be providing, but there may be thinking it's not a good choice.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, we're all really excited about really high returns, right, Like I said, cause the money. But I said to you, hey, Georgia, put all your money here, you'll get five hundred percent return. You'd be like, okay, But like that's really scared. Like at the end of the day, there isn't a safe or alternative that is going to give you any level near that return. If I told you the best investment in the world, it's business. Having your own business is the biggest and most well producing asset in the world. That's what I heard say, And obviously I can't give advice. But at the end of the day, like you're not going to see something similar, there isn't a safe alternative because if there was, you definitely wouldn't be getting three hundred percent return.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've decided that I want to buy a super yacht. Okay, So I've been thinking that I want to start a business, but all I can think of is cheese mungering. But I also don't really know how to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is new, this is different. Maybe we can take this off line.
Speaker 2: Okay. So bitcoin is highly risky. It's not going to help you buy a super yacht. I mean it might, but probably not in a sustainable.
Speaker 3: If you buy a super yacht, can I go on it?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 3: Will maybe go buy a super ya? Would your bitcoin profit?
Speaker 2: So if anyone has listened to today's show and is still thinking of going down the bitcoin line, they've already decided. What words of wisdom would you leave them with?
Speaker 3: Do your research? Understand what platform you're purchasing from. There are lots of fake platforms that will take your money and not produce a bitcoin for you. Understand the basis of the investment and work out how long you are going to be invested. Also have a chat to yourself about when you're going to pull that money out, because I think people get greedy and you don't think that you're going to be that greedy person, but when you see the numbers going up, like what's your number, that you're going to take your money off the table?
Speaker 2: App Okay, fabulous, well said. I think unfortunately it is time to end our show there, but I think it could be worth having this conversation continuing it.
Speaker 3: On the face, look, it's really interesting. It's a little bit pervy. But summary of all of this, I want you to understand that it is not something I endorse, but if you want to have chats about it, I am here for that. Just before we head off, i'd like to acknowledge and pay respects to Australia's Aboriginal and tourist rate islander peoples, the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring on the land which we are able to learn. We pay our respects to elders past and present and we share our friendship and our kindness, and.
Speaker 2: Of course please remember guys that the advice sheared on chees on the money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or a financial decision, or.
Speaker 3: Any decision about bitcoin full stop industry.
Speaker 2: That is correct and we promise. Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management for prior toly Limited ABN three four one three two four six three two five seven. Whoa afsir three three nine one.
Speaker 3: You did that in one test.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That was truly impressive.
Speaker 2: Big thank you of course to Brian Beck and Jess our producer and content wizards. We're putting it all together. Bring up with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, any if anyone thinks that their four year old child, could you know, do the general general advice disclaimer for us and would like to record that on their phone. I will happily have a four year old read that.
Speaker 2: I feel like we need to hear that time lits that it's.
Speaker 3: Actually so wholesome and you know, what else is wholesome and we've plugged it before. It's our Facebook group where our community shares money tips and tricks every single day, free of judgment. So she's on the money on Facebook and join us. If Facebook's not your thing, we kind of don't care. We're also on Instagram though, and we're on TikTok at. She's on the money a us. Don't forget to rate, review, subscribe because all of that keeps us in the charts and make sure that we can keep producing this content for you each and every single week.
Speaker 2: And it'll get me closer to buying that super hoest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is arguably the most important.
Speaker 2: Sp Until next week, guys.
Speaker 3: Bye,