Speaker 1: My name is Satasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country. Te Glenn Young Ganya Niana, Kaka yah Ya Binahwaka nian urka in Nimbini, yakarum Jar, Dominyagumika Umaga, Ihowaka, Nile Waman damon Immalan Bumba bang Gadabama in and now in Waka ghana on yak rum Jar Watanadaa. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank, acknowledge and respect the Abiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, friends, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finances fun, especially on a Friday, that grand old time of the week where we gather around the recording studio to celebrate and commiserate with you our wonderful community. I'm Victoria Devine and joining me for Friday Drinks is none other than our friend Beck Sayed and miss Jesse Garci. They've got money wins, they've got broke tips, and they've got nothing but love for you guys. On today's episode, we're covering, I would say, a pretty timely money dilemma about superannuation, and honestly, there's no better time to take a very close look at yours. We're also going to be discussing a very spusy DM that involves gently pairing back on your financial support that you've been giving to a friend. Oh, this sounds like it might sting a little at the same time, the good, the bad, and the taxing. We do love a money dilemma, so please my friends send them our way by visiting the She's on the Money website and then tapping the little link to record a message. Right there, we play all of your voicemails out in the office and we might just answer yours on our next episode. Also, guys, you ready, this is something that we never skip. Oh my god, I'm so excited. You know, you know it's a five star review. It's five star review time where we seek out your sweet little words of support across the potosphere and gather them for safe keeping like a sweet little I don't know written trinket. If you would like to share your trinkets with us, my friends, please go rate the podcast wherever you are tuning in from Apple Podcasts, Spotify comments wherever. Guys we have a review. It is from our friend deb Y. Deb says, guys, do I have a five star review for you? I started listening to the podcast randomly a few years ago, but at the end of last year, I found myself in financial difficulty, facing uncertainty with paying my mortgage, and hitting absolute rock bottom with my mental health. That's when I started binging Cheese on the Money. I'm now investing, have a growing savings account, and feel more financially stable than I ever have before. Five stars just isn't enough for the life saving inspiration and empowerment that the team gives to the Sheese on the Money community. From the bottom of my heart and my bank account, Thank you, Oh, that's so cute you.
Speaker 3: Can help, and happy that you're out of that stressful period as well.
Speaker 2: I know it's amazing. I don't know if it makes me sad or proud or excited or upset. I don't know. I just it makes me sad that so many of our community find us when they're at their rock bottom. But also like how lucky are we to be? Like hopefully that like, come in, come in, We've got you. That's cool, Like we'll give you the tips and the tricks, and we don't have any judgment whatsoever, and we'll put you in the best possible position. So thank you for thanking us from the bottom of your heart and your bank account. I thought that was really cute. Thank you, dam that's so sweet, it's soact. I love it all right. So that one was a good one, I think, really wholesome. But you know what else is kind of wholesome. It's our question of the week. This community member's question goes exactly like this. Oh my god, beautiful people, I have a Friday drinks question that I have been meaning to ask and want to know the answer to so desperately. If you could receive this is so Jessica richie, if you could perceive a homemade goodie basket or hamper, what would you want someone to put.
Speaker 3: In it for you?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a very cute question. It is very's wholesome and also just for those of you following along who might not know jessic Ricci as well as we do. She's the Queen of the hamper.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do love a good hamper.
Speaker 2: You do love a good bite, but we're talking like curated for you in a pretty box, Like she gifts the best gifts, so straight under the bus, jest, what do you want in your hamper?
Speaker 3: I love a little homemade, handmade gift. I feel like a sweet treat is always winning with me because I'm a big sweet tooth. Something preferably chocolatey based for.
Speaker 2: A Roches, do love one? I would put a whole boxer for a Roches?
Speaker 3: I do, yes, my favorite because I can't buy them for myself.
Speaker 2: Is we all know not in this economy. I'm so sorry, absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: I should say it's like a home mate, so like they're making the gifts to go in the basket. So I would love you know what I would love? Yeah, something knitted, but I also know that like knitting a garment is very very time consuming, but like there's I have lots of knits pinned on my Pinterest that are like obviously people have made themselves and they look so beautiful and such good quality, but also like I know that that would take somebody a long time. So maybe a scarf if not a jumper or something like that would be really cool to get, okay, or oh you know what, our friend Michelle, she made us a few years ago, these little shower steamer things that you like, put them in your shower and they make it smell really good. Oh yeah, they were really nice.
Speaker 2: There are lots of.
Speaker 3: Fun little things you can make to put in a hamper, anything made with love.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: I didn't take the homemade aspect and so that will make me, I guess, like change my decision, but.
Speaker 2: Right, don't What do you want in your hamper?
Speaker 4: But what I really want is just like a lot, maybe two or three packets of chocolate Scotch fingers.
Speaker 2: Ideally you do a scott I do love a scotchyter all together. Now, I would like some tea bags to go with that. I kind of want like in my hamper.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be like, I want the person to curate my night for me, so I want them to like tell me what I'm doing via hamper, And so it's gonna be tea bags gonna be I know I was gonna be a cut in a bond Soy and then it's gonna be so I'm like, okay, I know that they want me to have.
Speaker 2: Tea and they want me to eat Scotch fingers. He still on the bon Soy train. I am not the happy, happy Soy boy so sweet that you remember that. Yeah, I thought you to rich that I do.
Speaker 3: But there's something about bon Soy, but no, I actually.
Speaker 2: Like oat milk and my tea.
Speaker 4: To take that back, the alternative milkoat oat.
Speaker 2: Milk will be in my hamper, Okay, I can because I ordered that online even like it's my oat milk choice and I have to have it in my coffees at home. Oh my god, totally you can't buy it at the supermarket. Yeah, what the hell? I can be your oat milk dealer. Thank you, yours coming from you? Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. It would have Jeska Ricki's sneaker doodle what I we can both have because I'll update, I'll update. I don't want those anyway. And then there's gonna be some sort of I like a shower steamer.
Speaker 4: I think there's also gonna be like a DVD in there that's like, you don't have to think about what movie you're gonna watch.
Speaker 2: There's here's a DVD.
Speaker 3: You just pop it on and school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I have no idea and no way to play it, but I'll know that that's what they intended.
Speaker 2: I love it all right. Well, I don't want Jessica cookies because I want her pecan toffee once. Yeah, okay, so I would argue even better? They were so no you did you? Did you remember the ones? They were like kind of friends giving. I don't know if you had them. Didn't you bring them into the studio because we made you make them again? Maybe? Anyway, they are like this cinnamony like caramely biscuit and that like is pressed like into like a dip, right, and they like felt like they had the coating, correct me if I'm wrong, jess the coating of like a cinnamon donut on the outside of the cookie. Don't remember these? And then they were like the caramelized peacans sitting in the top. Yes, oh filthy. I loved it. So I want basically a whole hamper of those. I wouldn't mind a new wheat pack. Oh that's a good one, yea. I wouldn't find a new wheat pack. We're going into winter, and I just pulled mine out and I was like, well, I've definitely been using this and it's obvious for the last fifteen years. And the knitted thing sounds really cute, right, So like one of my friends CC, her mom has been knitting her kids jumpers cute, and prior to having kids, I was like, cool, what a nana like activity. And now I'm like, that is so wholesome. I wish my mom doesn't knit like Judy step off, like, why are you knitting? Don't knit, Judy, That's fine, but it's so cute. But yes, I lean into the like knitted thing and like maybe like a knitted pair of like bed socks or something really wholesome, right, and like one of those fluffy materials. Yeah, so that's what I want in my homemade hamper. I actually thought that Beck was going to say, I want a whole hamper a visa gift cards is what I thought you And I was like, that would be so smart, genius for cookies and songs. Anyway, I feel like I feel like we could go on and on forever about what we want, but I do love a hamper and I loved that question even more. That was really sweet. Now for something that you'll hopefully love even more than that, Money wins Where Miss Jessic Gricci. She's scoured the comments section, our DMS and general mail to find out what you guys have been celebrating this week. Miss Jessic Gricci. What have you got?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: A start off this week with one from it?
Speaker 2: Hold On, hold on? Don't you have a money win this week? Oh? I do have a money win? Can we start at the top the for sure? I'm so sorry. I was like, hold on, I know that community is important, but our team group chat has been popping off over this.
Speaker 3: Tell me this is your sign to enter those dumb little online competitions that you don't think anyone wins. Because I entered one this week and I won.
Speaker 2: What did you win?
Speaker 3: I wanted Doctor Dennis gross alid Mass, which is one hundred dollars light mask and the crazy.
Speaker 2: The one that I spent an exorbitant amount of money on, and I great it. I love it, got it for free.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. It was like a shopping center. It was high point anyone on the West Side, and it wasn't even in person. It was one that like popped up on Facebook. They were obviously doing like data collection, you know, popping your email answer in twenty five words or less, like why you come to the shopping center? And I was like, obviously it's Sizara and the big Mecca and it's.
Speaker 2: Been good at that. You would have scripted something really nice. Yeah, didn't take very long.
Speaker 3: Didn't think twice about it, to be honest. And then last night literally I got an email and I sent it in the group slack because I was like, guys, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: So you like, now you have an LED mask and I feel like you've been talking about one for ages but you were like they're so expensive, absolutely not, maybe they won't work. The universe has provided you arguably the best one on market. I am so grateful.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited, and yeah, so this is your sign. Everybody just like, what's the worst that could happen?
Speaker 2: Take plun But I also really like what this means for this. She's on the Money team aesthetic not because we're all going to get hotter because we're using a LED mask, but Brooke and I like to turn up to our team meetings with our masks on. It's all going to look like we're out of Star Wars. Yeah, hell yeah, yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: So it's so stay tuned. Photos coming Soon's I'm sure all right. This week, I'll start with one from Tiffany who said, I went to the laundrette on Friday as it was my thirtieth visit. I got two loads for free. Oh the money I saved when straightened my savings account, and I feel like every dollar really counts these days. So true, absolutely, so true. Then am I said money Win. Don't forget you can apply for the twenty percent rebate on your Redgo if you're in Vixoy.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that completely.
Speaker 3: I did it yesterday.
Speaker 2: Do not do it for everybody.
Speaker 3: It's for literally everybody. If you've paid your redo, even if you only paid part I believe they'll pro rata it. They work it all out for you, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, done again.
Speaker 3: So download the services up so it literally is like two clicks. It's so easy. And then they email me back within twenty four hours and said, yep, confirmed you getting two hundred and twenty dollars back.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy that it's just not automatic? Like it's smart from them to not make it automatic because it means they're going to save money because so many people are going to either miss this or just like not do their life admins. So like from a budget perspective, it doesn't make sense for them to automate it. Yeah, but like yueens, go and do your life admin and tell a body money.
Speaker 3: I messaged my friend group chat immediately said, guys, don't forget today's the day, so.
Speaker 2: Tell the people you know.
Speaker 3: Anyone who's got a car.
Speaker 2: You're also had a great witch, got two hundred and twenty bucks back, got it defaced us. I'm in there, You're sorry.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got a money in from Caitlin who said she went to cancel her paramount. Plus they've given her two months at ninety nine cents social cuep but for two more months, watch a few more things, then probably get rid of it after that.
Speaker 2: That is so funny because I've been doing a little bit of a sponsorship audit recently, and I threatened my New York Times subscription because like, if you're in my team, you know I love a word. I love a saduko. Oh yeah, I do it every day, like every day over coffee. My husband and I this is so lame. We do connections, we do wordle, we do the strands together, and then I do my Saduco quietly and if our baby christ that's on him. I'm busy doing my suduco. But I threatened my subscription by being like cancel and it gave me fifty percent off and I was like thank you. So then I went through and I've been like threatening all of my other subscriptions and like going through to like the cancel before you hear like confirm, just to see if they give me a discount offering. A few of them did amazing. So this week, yes, we're gonna threaten our subscriptions. Yeah, get on the cancel store. Push it towards the edge. See what happens. I mean, you can back off if you want the subscription still, but you didn't get a discount, you'd be like fine, I'm gonna keep you by least you tried literally no harm.
Speaker 3: Next, I've got money win from Jamie who said money and chocolate win. Williz didn't have the side of Cabri Favorites that she had ordered, so they gave her three small boxes to make up for the missing big one. She ended up with more chocolate and it cost her the same amount. That's a good money, great, great money win. We love a chocolate money.
Speaker 2: We So you just got two presents for like other people.
Speaker 3: I reckon genuinely. And then last of this week, I've got one from Jackie who said it's my birthday today, so I've been getting my freebies all day. Money win Jackie. And this is my reminder because all three of our birthdays are coming up. Last year, we all said we're gonna get all our subscriptions. I was like, I'm going to film a video. I forgot you need to be signed up for things two weeks ahead. So this year, okay, I've waited a whole yeah to film this video of like all the things that you can get for your birthday. Love this And he's my remind for both of you to like sign up for everything because your birthdays so we're also close together.
Speaker 2: And also if you're in our Facebook group, go to the search bar and type in birthday freebies because there is a whole thread that people have been contributing to of places that you can get free stuff. Yeah, free boost, juice, free movie, chickets free like everything, but for your birthday, So go and sign them up. And also if you want to sign up your friends, you could definitely do that and then send them a little cute birthday message and be like, hey, by the way, I signed you up for your birthday stuff, so you'll have a free ABC and d imagine that if you didn't have any cash to give them a gift.
Speaker 3: That's really fae.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea, thinks I came up with it myself. Miss Beck, have you got some broke tips? I sure do.
Speaker 4: That one comes from Nora, who says, cancel all your subscriptions and borrow DVDs from the library and call it movie nights. I think it's a really cut idea of you, like, grab some really cheapn go to the library. I didn't even know you could get DVDs from a library, but like, pretend it's like a Blockbuster. This is more for like, if you have children, you can trick them into thinking into Blockbuster. But it also works if you're an adult. And it isn't that funny that DVDs a hot theme in this episode, So I think it's a great idea. This next one comes from Mona, who says vacuum sealing foods, particularly freezer foods, make them last so much longer. The next one is for myself, and I tried, well, I didn't do this intentionally, but I didn't take a cart or a trolley into the shops, and I just realized you really end up buying what you need and nothing more. So I'm my breakdip for this week is to not take any sort of like anything that will help you carry things around, because you end up putting so much more on your basket or your trolley. If you go in knowing like, oh, I need to get three things and that's literally physically all you can carry, you end up really not overspending.
Speaker 3: If you can't carry, you can't buy. You can't carry people do It's like you've got sixty seconds. You can as many books as you can pick up in the bookstore. You can like buy, Yeah, but with groceries exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: You don't polls by, so I think that, Yeah, just challenge yourself to try not to take anything in with you.
Speaker 2: I ask you and Fate that the other day. I was forced to do that because when you become a mom, you got to buy annoying things you got to buy or I do formula and nappies.
Speaker 3: It's cylindrical, it's hard to get it and bulky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the box of nappy I'm not gonna buy, like the little cute pack of nappies, Like that's a waste of money. We buy bulk boxes. And I got to the supermarket and it wasn't my regular supermarket which has free trolleys. It was the supermarket that needed the coin for the trolleys. I don't even have a coin. Yeah, And so I looked like a complete potato and I basically got rid of everything else that I was planning on buying. I was like, right, I can only walk out of here with formula, nappies and a couple of tomatoes. I'm calling it. Yeah, saved so much, I know, do I not have things I need? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But also saved so much absolutely on the money branded trolley token.
Speaker 2: May I say, do you know what I've been talking about that and we've been brainstorming it. Imagine a she's on the money trolley token on your keys. That would be very sure because it was like a two dollar shape. Looks cute, But I save you. Also, you wouldn't want to leave that accidentally in the trolley. No, I reckon it's worth more than two dollars. Okay, shit true anyway pay for itself though? Yeah, will you say that? I reckon? That's a good example of you know, it's not about the destination, but it's about the broke tips that you collect along the way. We're just about to take a quick break, but when we are back, we are diving headfirst into this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: High Season the Money. I have a question about my super Thanks to your pod, I've been looking into how well my super fund is performing. While it passes all of the appro tests, I think I can find a better performing fund with lower fees and would like to move my entire balance for better growth. I don't have any pre existing medical conditions, and so insurance isn't an issue. I don't want to try and time the market, but I'm wondering if I should hold off moving my superbalance until the market recovers from the current volatility, as my super's taken a bit of a dip this year. I have about seventy five thousand in my account and I'm thirty three, so have plenty of time to realize better returns. Should I transfer my balance now or wait a little bit longer?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: What was you guys? Do?
Speaker 4: I guess, like, first of all, make sure there's no exit fees. I think I would just like check like for like, like if the next super fund had the exact same portfolio in terms of what that super would be invested in, then I guess it would be the same money right now, like worth the same the shares or the investment, and so transferring it over now would kind of be like whatever. It really depends on, like where the money is going and how it's being invested, and if it's pretty much exactly the same and they're both valued at the same amount if that makes sense, which I know sounds it's hard to explain because it's like they're not really shares. It's like super if you're investing in the same thing valued at the same amount. Roughly, I'm like sure, especially if it's like that is spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's what a financial advisor would say. Yeah, oh my god. Ah, I was just like watching you being like, oh my god, I got a finger on the pulse. So seek that's crazy. Yeah, because you're buying and selling in the same market and.
Speaker 4: Same market, and then if the fees are less in this new fund, then you're also maybe saving money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how likely is it that true? Different super funds would have very comp makeups, because it sounds like she's my understanding what she said is she wants to move to a more favorable like I'm imagining maybe she wants to move from like a lower risk to a higher risk because she feels like she's got time, in which case would there be a lot of similar like crossover the crop And it really depends.
Speaker 2: So if you're going from like one industry fund to another industry fund, it's very likely that they hold very similar things. You can kind of think of it like ETFs, where you know, you've got a beta shares and then you've got a vanguard and they might have top two hundreds, and they both invest in that slightly differently, you know, different fees, different triggers. That's all good, but they're kind of comparable products. Whereas if she's changing because she's like the I want to take it to a completely different platform where you know, they only have ethical investments, or they only have you know, a different range, or I'm going from as you said before, like a balanced portfolio to a high growth. That's where you're going to have to think about this a little bit deeper, just changing because you're like, oh, I would prefer to go to Australian super and I'm with you know, host plus or I'm with rest or whatever. I would say that kind of like for like, if you're going to a similar portfolio, they'll be offended that I've said that, by the way, because you know, they're definitely different. They're all so different. But in the grand scheme of things, yes, they all have different investment methodologies, but at the ground, they're often all investing in blue chip stocks and that's why it's so important to look at your investments inside your super to make sure that you're comfortable with it. But usually know you don't need to wait for the market to recover to switch super funds. And it's exactly what Beck said, you're trading in exactly the same market. It's kind of like when people are like, oh, my goodness, like, is now a good time to buy or sell? And if you're selling a house and then buying a house in the same market, it's kind of left pocket, right pocket, because if it's a good market and your house is valued at all, you'll be selling for a lot more, and then you're going to be buying in a market where property is value at a hire. But that's okay because you've got a bit more for your last property and you put it into the next property. Because we don't know when the market's get to tank. No one comes knocking on your door and says, hey, JS, just so now now's a perfect time to buy. Market's about to go up. Never happens in a million years. And if someone can do that, let me know, because I'll start investing a lot more aggressively. Now. It does change. If you're going to like a different portfolio construction. But the one thing that I would be doing superannuation is for the long term, so like I would be zooming out and going all right, well, there's never going to be a perfect time to change. And if the market is a bit off right now, yes, you're selling your assets for less, but when you purchase again, you're probably going to get more shares that are going to increase in value. Again, you're trading in exactly the same market. For example, if you're going to sell in super FUNDA, and let's just make it really simple, in super fund A you have ten BHP, you do a transfer to your new asset and they also are going to hold ten BHP shares. You're probably going to have the cash to transfer over and hold the same exact assets again, which is fine. But the big questions here are is the new fund cheaper, does it have good long term performance, does it align with your values? Does it offer the investment options that you actually want? Are there any insurance policies inside your currency branuation that you would forego or lose by switching to me. That's a really really big question, and the insurance one is one that catches a lot of people out because they don't realize that they have a default policy for life income or TPD and they kind of go, oh, it will be in the next one. Everyone has it. But that's not necessarily the case anymore. You don't just get given an insurance policy anymore. So please please please check it. And I mean at the age of thirty three. I'm not allowed to give financial advice, not because we're right, just in general, I'm not allowed to give anything further than general financial advice. But thirty three, with the balance of you said seventy five thousand dollars, I'd really be focusing on finding a fund that is right for you for the next thirty years than trying to time the market over the next few years. Great point, like get shit done, Like just get it done, get it in, make it a priority. Make sure you're making regular contributions, make sure your employer has been paying your super make sure that you know everything is set up the way that you want, because that's what's going to drive long term performance. Not you know, I switched at the right time and now I'm a millionaire. That's not going to happen. Otherwise I'd be waiting for a switch as well. Yeah, yeah, Will exactly speaks juicy DM. Oh my goodness, I'm so ready this, I guess DM since putting together like well, we're going to talk on this episode has been living rent free in my mind since I opened it. And look, even the person writing it said that it would be spicy, So I mean that piqued my interest to be given. So you're ready ready? Hi, she's on the money. I have a spicy question, girl, you got me hook line and sinker. I have a friend with long term mental health struggles who is also now physically disabled and on the NDIS. I've financially supported them in the past several times and they always say they will pay me back, but they never have. But last year they chose to go through IVF in order to have a child, and now I get a request for financial aid every other month. I don't actually know them very well. We've hung out a handful of times. However, I'm also very aware that I'm privileged to be on top of my own mental health and I'm very financially secure. How do I gently disentangle myself without feeling guilty for technically being able to help without going broke. I get a pit in my stomach every time I see a message from them, And to be honest, I can't stop myself from judging them for choosing to have a child knowing that they couldn't afford to and they weren't mentally recovered either, what do I do? God, this is so complicated? Or so she wasn't wrong, that was spicy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am a little bit confused by because isn't I feel really really.
Speaker 2: Expensive not to say like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm like I wonder where that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like this right, like so many times we see people making decisions, and maybe she spent all of the money that she had on IVF. Like people make and I'm not saying confusing money decisions because I'm saying they're bad. But people are going to spend their money in line with their values. And they might not be paying rent, but they might be paying for something else, you know what. It's like, It's just it can be really confusing, and that's where it's so important to not judge people for the decisions they're making, because you could have looked at that and been like, well, you're financially secure, you did if that might mean that who knows, she went and got a person alone and then spent it all in IVF and she's even further up the deck crate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so treading to actually, and thank you for picking up on that. I think that also the confusion comes from it is a friend, but you don't know them that well even hung out that much. And it kind of like there have been time my life where you know, I've certainly I haven't been very rich at all, and I have not had that much money, but I've helped friends, friends that I know, and I feel a warmth in my belly and I feel love in my heart for them. And then even if I don't know them that well, but I still know their energy and I still know that they're like a trustworthy person. But I remember I worked at this place and I barely knew this woman and she asked me for money very soon, and oh really, She's like, oh can I just borrow like one hundred bucks until payday? And I was like, the weird thing And the thing I think might be symptomatic of a bigger problem is that you have what it looks like to be like many friends, many family members. Why are you asking me out of everyone in the world, And so I'm like, maybe there's something dodgy going on, but who knows. It's hard to say, Maybe it's even impossible to say. But the fact that you haven't hung out that much, I'm like, they could have not that many people in their life, so maybe they feel like they're close to you. So maybe ignore that. But that's something to consider if you think it feels off. But if you don't think it feels off, then it is a really tricky one. You don't have to be living this life where like you feel sickly anxious every time the message. I know that feeling. It's the worst feeling. I think, just like generally telling them you can even like lie a little bit if you want to, just be like I think, financially right now the best position.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry.
Speaker 4: They might just be able to figure it out on their own if they don't have you to fall back on anymore. So I think, try not feel gooidty because you've helped them so much. But yeah, just the anxiety you feel when they message, you don't need to be living like that.
Speaker 2: You've done all you can do.
Speaker 4: You're more than welcome to be like I can't help anymore.
Speaker 3: It's really hard. Like I fear, I don't even want to touch the having the child while struggling financially because I think that is such a complex, sure topic and one we don't have the time to delve into one that I don't think I have the emotional capacity and shelve into if I want to today. But what I want to look at is what can you do to get yourself out of this situation? Because what's putting you here is kindness, and I think that that is a really fantastic thing. I think the instinct to help others is really important and it's really one fool that you have that, But it also is really challenging when it then puts pressure back on you when you're you know, you're feeling more and more entangled in this person's life. You're feeling like they're not making good financial decisions, and you maybe feel like by supporting them financially, you're enabling those poor choices, which is totally understandable. I would lean into pointing them towards resources. I'm with you. I think you know, we say no is a full sentence, But also I think it's very reasonable to say to them next time somebody keeps you up with this, Hey, can I get a hundred bucks to get me through the payday? Just saying I'm so sorry cost of living at the moment, I don't have the money to give you. And that in itself is enough of a conversation, absolutely, and that kind of gets you out of the position, hopefully and breaks the circle by saying, hey, like with everything that I'm doing, I just don't have the capacity to help you. You can then supplement that, or I would supplement that with here are some resources that you could look at, you know, for ndis, do you have a case worker or somebody you can talk to. Can she maybe reach out to our friends the National Debt Helpline and they can help, you know, get her budget together, or look at other resources maybe to provide her. I think all you can do is give somebody the tools to succeed. But it isn't your responsibility. And I know that that's really hard. When you're somebody who feels the need to help others and feel the need to fix things, you go, well, if it's within my means, why wouldn't I, Like, why shouldn't I? But also, you can't put yourself on the back foot if the money's not coming back to you. Do also have a right to look after yourself as well.
Speaker 2: And like as somebody who likes to do those things as well, like I love looking after other people if it's within my means, like I'm very likely to be like, oh here, let me help you. But then there has been situations where I've felt like I've been taken advantage of because someone's asked for something repeatedly and they either don't show the gratitude that I had anticipated, or you know, they haven't paid it back or something, and you do leave feeling a little bit like they've taken advantage of a situation. And I think that's where you also need to step back and go, well, why did I do that in the first place, And for me, I didn't do it, so like I think you need to approach it. And this is coming from privilege, so I do acknowledge that, but you need to approach it with I don't lend people money, like I've just I have a blanket rule. I don't lend you money. If you came to me and you said I need money for something great, I'll give it to you. There's no expectation. I hope that one day you're able to, you know, pass that on and do something for somebody else, because I don't want to change the friendship dynamics or even relationship that I have with anybody to be like, oh, you own me, like I don't know, Jess, you know me well enough to know that. It just gives me the ear clay. I don't even like other people paying for my coffees like it just there's something about my money story that means that I just want to be fiercely independent, and I desperately want that for other people. But for me, going back to this question, it's not about the IVF. It's not about their choice to have a child. Those are life choices, and those are deeply personal, and those are theirs, They're not yours. You don't get to have a conversation about that. From my perspective. But you have repeatedly given financial assistance to this person and been let down, like you've repeatedly not been repaid, which is left you feeling a little bit used. And I think it's very fair to your point. Just your financial security doesn't create an obligation to support other people. That's your financial security. You worked hard for that, and you can care deeply about someone and still decide that lending the money is no longer something that you're willing to do, and you actually don't owe them an explanation. I mean, I would address every situation with kindness, but a simple response like I'm just so sorry. I'm not in a position to, you know, provide financial assistance moving forward. That's it. Yeah, you don't have to justify your bank balance, you don't have to justify your goals. Like they can kind of read between the lines and be like, wow, yeah, I never paid them back and now I'm taking the mickey. If they don't have that level of self reflection, it's on them, not on you, Like I think that you don't deserve. Do you have to put more emotional energy into this than you clearly already are, Like, I think a very simple response to be like, I'm just not in that position anymore. It's not actually up for negotiation. Yeah, I'm just letting you know, like, so sorry, Jess, I'm not in the position to provide any financial assistance. What's someone going to say to that, do you know what I mean? Like, are you going to come back and be like, well, actually you are. You don't know my situation. And then I think for me, it's like the judging of other people's choices. It's not a bad thing, but like, I think that maybe your brain is just really trying to make sense of the situation because it's left you feeling taken advantage of. And I want you to reflect on that a little bit more, because you need to create a boundary regardless of what you're doing. Yeah, does that make sense? Like you need to create a boundary with this person because clearly you're saying you're not close with them. They're asking you for things that you're not comfortable with, whether they make these decisions or not. They needs to be a boundary, Yeah, because you can't consistently be lending money to somebody who's not valuing that and not paying it back and not doing what they said they would do. Yeah, so that would be with the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, that's happening. But what did everybody else think?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 2: They popped off in the comments section. So first question we asked the community, have you ever financially supported a friend and later regretted it? Thirty eight percent of you said yes, and sixty two percent of you said no. That's a lot of people. Yeah, And then we as do you think it's okay to stop helping someone financially even if you can afford to help me? Reckon, I think you have.
Speaker 3: To look after yourself, But I also can like that be the question of like, do we have a responsibility to lift everybody up?
Speaker 2: I actually arising tired lifts of ships, poddies, nuance. Ninety seven percent of you said yeah, it's okay to stop helping, which validating, but also like I'm sorry at the crux of that that person has said they would do something and then they didn't do it. Yeah, you can't just keep like for me once, for me twice. Yeah, Like you can't keep throwing money at somebody who says they'll pay you back. You wouldn't allow that with an investment. Yeah, yes, Like I'm not going to be like, so, hey, if I give es money, you've never seen it again. It's crazy, do you know what I mean? Like in that case, give me mummy. And then we asked is protecting your own piece more important than avoiding someone else's disappointment? Ninety eight percent of you said yes. We then asked, what's your two cents my Queen's. A lot of people were responding, oh, my goodness, like IVF can't believe they do that. There was a lot of conversation around if they can't afford to have a kid, they shouldn't be doing it. End of story, Like such a complex it's such a complex situation, and I think adds to the layers of us trying to break down and understand this situation. But I think we need to remove the nuance. I think we need to remove that like narrative and just go, hey, a friend is asking for consistent financial support from you. You've just told me you're not that close. They're not somebody that you want an ongoing relationship with, and they're not repaying it when they said that they would. I think it's a pretty terrible decision to continue that at the crux, like they can layer on the sub stories, they can layer on everything else, but at the crux of this decision, like it's their personal circumstances. And I think if that then gets brought up and they're like, oh, but I've been going through this and this, you go, oh my goodness, I know, and that must be so hard, but I'm still just not in a position to be able to support you moving forward, Like it's not your circus, it's not your monkeys, And like I think there's a lot less nuance. Yes, there's complications, but it's not like your sister or you know someone that's really close or your best mate, where you're just like sow far out. This is more complicated because I do want to maintain this relationship. Yeah, like my queen, you're allowed a boundary. Yeah. Other people said I would never give anyone an amount of money. I wouldn't be comfortable not getting back, which is kind of where I like to land these days. I'm like, if I need to land it out, I've got to come to the determination that I might not get that back. If I get it back, fantastic if I don't like that was a gift. Yeah, And I think that you do need to deeply think about if you're going to give to some more money, what were your expectations around that? Like for me, no, I never want to talk about it again, Like that's done and dusted, like that happened, because otherwise it was never for that person. It was always for me and my own personal gain and some kind of weird power play. Absolutely not. Someone else said, if they're relying on you now for money, they absolutely can't support themselves in the future. Maybe send them a few resources to support themselves. A lot of people said boundaries. They keep asking because you keep giving. They know what your boundaries are. You need to reinforce what you expect moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really smart because it's true, like as you said before, back, someone comes to you, like in a past job and asks for money because they probably they can sense that. Yeah, yeah, you would be supportive. Someone else said, sometimes it isn't helping because what you're doing is enabling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really good way to look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another person said that scenario is wild, and there are a few other people that said, even if it doesn't end in financial ruin, you are still entitled to your own money that you have worked really hard for. And then there was a lot of people and I'll leave it on this sharing resources like the Good Shepherd and money smart websites and stuff like that that they can get support and just you also touched on you know, honing in on their NDIS stuff. Do you have enough support. Is there a caseworker you could talk to, like, where could you go to from here? And if you're on the ndis you very likely have a contact that you could reach out to and be like, what can I do here? And Mayken point you in the right direction? For sure, that's probably a really great place to leave it and wrap it. My friends, thank you for spending so much of your time with us on this. Hopefully it's still Friday morning. Maybe you're on your hot walk, you're doing your grocery shopping with no basket, you're on your morning commute. We really appreciate you, and we will be back next week and especially on Monday, with a brand new shiny money Darry. Until then, my loves, please take care of yourselves and of each other. And if you've enjoyed this episode, tell literally everybody you've ever met over the weekend. It's all I want to hear about in cafes. Have a good weekend. I love you, goodbye, my god Bi.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the Peace ds TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P, T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight afs L four five one two eight nine