Speaker 1: I am on a little break for a few weeks, so I'm re releasing some of my favorite episodes from the last twelve months. I will be back with brand new interviews from July thirty one, and until then, enjoy today's chat. What if the secret to becoming an exceptional leader lies in embracing Radical Canada. I first came across Kim Scott's international best selling book Radical Canda several years ago, and I know many leaders who swear by her approach for giving and receiving feedback. So I reached out to Kim to come on how I work and teach me all about the ins and outs of how to be better at feedback. Kim has led teams in companies like Google and YouTube, as well as being a CEO coach at Dropbox and Twitter, not to mention being on faculty at Apple University. If you have ever struggled with giving or receiving feedback, then I guarantee this episode will help you master the art of radical candor and transform the way you communicate. My name is doctor Amantha Imbert. I'm an organizational psychologist and founder of Behavior change consultancy Inventium, and this is how I work a show about how to help you get so much more out of the hours in your day. Now, unless you have been living under a management rock, you have probably heard of the term radical candor. It's the style of feedback giving that revolutionized how people in tech companies give each other feedback. But in case you haven't heard of radical candor, let's start with a quick recap with Kim Scott, the woman behind the framework.
Speaker 2: Radical candor is what happens when you care personally and challenged directly at the same time, also known as compassionate candor. So, if you think about radical candor in terms of a two by two framework.
Speaker 3: You ready, I'm going to lay it on you.
Speaker 2: Let's go okay. So, on the vertical axis is care personally. On the horizontal axis is challenged directly, and when you do both at the same time, that is radical candor. But when you challenge directly but you forget to show that you care personally, as we all are bound to do from time to time, that is obnoxious aggression. Sometimes people confuse radical candor and obnoxious aggression, but they're two very different things.
Speaker 3: Obnoxious aggression is bad.
Speaker 2: It's bad because it hurts people It's bad because it's inefficient. If I'm a jerk to you, then you sort of go into fight or flight mode, and then you literally cannot hear what I'm saying, so I'm wasting my breath. But it's also bad for another reason. For me, at least, when I realize I've been a jerk, it's not my instinct to go the right way on care personally. Instead, I go the wrong way, unchallenged directly, and then I wind out in the worst place of all manipulative insincerity. So noxious aggression is front stabbing. Manipulative insincerity is backstabbing. It's where passive aggressive behavior, political behavior, all of the stuff that erodes trust most quickly creeps in. However, although it is fun to tell stories about obnoxious aggression and ruin of sympathy, these are not the mistakes most of us make most of the time. Most of us make most of our mistakes in this last upper left hand quadrant, where we do remember to show that we care personally, but we're so worried about not hurting someone's feelings or offending them that we failed to tell them something they'd be better off knowing in the long run, and that is what I call ruin a sympathy. So that's what radical canner is and what it is not.
Speaker 1: I definitely struggle in that up left quadrant. I could definitely relate to that, I w because what do people find hottest about a flying radical canda in their role as a leader?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's a little bit like diet and exercise. Actually, we kind of everybody knows we should be you know, we should be eating well, we should be getting enough exercise or sleep. I think we all know we how to do it, but it's hard. Behavior change is really hard, and so I think a big part of it is just building the habit of radical candor. And you'll know that you've succeeded when it's a little bit like brushing your teeth. You know, you feel gross if you don't do it. I think it shouldn't be like a root canal, should be more like brushing your teeth.
Speaker 1: How did you manage to make it habitual in your own work life?
Speaker 2: I learned through the school of hard knocks. I got it wrong over and over and over again. And I think one of the things that helped me more than anything else was telling stories. First to myself and labeling them and then writing them in the book, and then telling them when I do talks and workshop talk on podcasts about when I get it wrong. So I have this ruinous empathy story that I call my Bob's story, and for me, it just summarizes all of what's wrong with ruinous empathy. And then when I'm tempted not to say the thing that I know I need to say, I think about that Bob story, and it reminds me that it's actually kinder to say it in the long run, because I think that's also it feels mean to say the thing, but it's actually much kinder in the long run.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of having stories to remind yourself of why to push yourself into that radical Canda quadrant.
Speaker 3: You want to hear the Bob story. I would love to.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 2: This is really what helped me more than anything else, because I also struggle with ruinous empathy, and if I'm honest with myself, there's always a dose of manipulative and sincerity in my ruinous empathy. So at one point in my career, and this is really one of the more painful moments in my career, I had hired this guy and we'll call him Bob. And I liked Bob a lot. He was smart, he was charming, he was funny.
Speaker 3: He would do.
Speaker 2: Stuff like, we're at a manager off site playing one of those endless get to know you games, and everybody's getting more and more stressed out because there's tons of work and people kind of are ready to get back to work. And Bob is a guy who has the courage to raise his hand and to say, you know, I can tell everybody's getting stressed out, and I've got an idea. It'll help us get to know each other and it'll be really fast. Whatever his idea was, If it was really fast, we were all down with it. So Bob says, let's just go around the table and confess what candy our parents used when potty training us. Really weird, but really fast, weirder yet we all remembered. And then for the next ten months, every time there was a tense moment and a meeting, Bob would pull out just the right piece of candy for the right person at the right moment.
Speaker 3: So Bob was quirky but very lovable.
Speaker 2: He brought a little levity to the office. Everybody loved working with Bob. It was just one problem with Bob. He was doing terrible work. I couldn't understand what was going on because he had this incredible resume, this great history of accomplishments. I learned much later the problem was that Bob was smoking pot in the bathroom three times a day, which maybe explained all that candy that he had, but I didn't know any of that. All I knew was that Bob was handing mark into me, and there was shame in his eyes. He knew it wasn't nearly good enough. And I would say something to him along the lines of, oh, Bob, you're so smart, you're so awesome.
Speaker 3: We all love working with you. Maybe you could make it just a little bit better, which of course he never did.
Speaker 2: So let's pause for a moment. Why did I say something so banal to Bob? I think part of the problem was that Bob was sensitive and popular, and I really didn't want to hurt his feelings. But also, if I'm honest with myself, little manipulative insincerity going on because he was so popular and so sensitive that there was part of me that was afraid that if I told him and no uncertain terms that his work wasn't nearly good enough, that he would get upset, he might even start to cry, and then everyone would think I was a big you know what. And so the part of me that was worried about my reputation as a leader, that was the kind of manipulative insincerity part. The part of me that was worried about Bob's feelings that was the ruinous sympathy part. This went on for ten months, and eventually the inevitable happened, and I realized that if I didn't fire Bob, I was going to lose all the best performers on my team. And because not only had I been unfair to Bob by not telling him that his work wasn't nearly good enough, I'd been unfair to the whole team. And everybody was frustrated. Their deliverables were late because his deliverables were late. They were not able to do their best work because they are having to spend so much time redoing his work. And the best performers on the team were going to quit. They were going to go work someplace somewhere else where they could do their best work. I realized that I had failed to do.
Speaker 3: My job, it was time to do it.
Speaker 2: And when I finished explaining to him where things stood, he kind of pushed the chair back from the table. He looked me right in the eye and he said, why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 3: And as that.
Speaker 2: Question was going around in my head with no good answer, he looked at me again and he said, why didn't anyone tell me? I thought you all cared about me? And that was like, it hit me so hard. I hadn't told him because I thought I was trying to be nice, and now because I hadn't told him, I'm firing him.
Speaker 3: Not so nice after all.
Speaker 2: And that is the moment in my career that really prompted me to think very deeply about why so many people this is the most common mistake that managers make, I mean, frankly, that we make in all our relationships. And it's what really prompted me to write the book Radical Candor and come up with a two y two framework and to do better next time, because all I could do in the moment was make myself a very solemn promise that I would never make that mistake again. Because even Bob at this point agreed he should go his reputation on the team was just shut.
Speaker 1: It really speaks to what you say around managers need to be good at willing to tick people off. And that really resonated with me because as a lead in myself, I really struggle with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too. Yeah, what if you found for.
Speaker 1: Yourself and leaders that you've worked with, how do we get better at that?
Speaker 2: Remembering you're not trying to tick people off, but you have to be willing to take a risk. Your job as a manager is to help people grow and improve and even though it might you know, in the case of Bob, it might have hurt his feelings in the short run, but in the long run it was better for him. What I really wanted to do is be kind to Bob. I've got to tell him the thing, even if it sings a little.
Speaker 3: Bit in the moment, and that is hard.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the things about being a manager is that it can feel sometimes like a lonely one way street. You're giving and you're not allowed to expect to get. That's why you get paid the big box as a manager, and think about it as paying it forward.
Speaker 3: Someone did that hopefully. I mean.
Speaker 2: You may have had some bad managers in your past, but hopefully everyone's had some good managers too, and you're sort of paying it forward being.
Speaker 1: Good at willing to take people off and having that as a skill. I've also heard you talk about you're not a fan of managers being friends with their direct reports.
Speaker 2: Not that I would say, don't be friends with them. But the thing that's really important to remember is that it is a very human relationship. It may not be a friendship, it better not be a romance. And unless it's a family business, it shouldn't be a family You certainly don't want to play favorites, and that's one of the risks. In many ways, a manager letting people know when they're making a mistake as the labor of love. But it shouldn't start with giving criticism. It should always start with soliciting it and then giving praise, and then giving criticism and then engaging how it's landing.
Speaker 1: Let's get into criticism and praise. What questions should I be asking to elicit criticism from my team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So if you say, do you have any feedback for me, you're wasting your breath.
Speaker 3: I can already tell you the answer.
Speaker 2: Oh no, everything's fine, Like nobody wants to give you feedback, except your teenage children. One of the things that I recommend is that people come up with their go to question and I'll tell you what mine is, which I didn't to be fair, I didn't make up myself. I had a coach tell me this, so you can borrow it if it works for you. Is what could I do or stop doing that would make it easier to work with me? And if you buy the book and read it, you'll notice it's worded a little bit differently in the book. And I got some feedback that the way I worded it in the book was imperfect. So the way it's worded in the book is is there anything? And someone pointed out, you don't want to ask a question that can be answered with a yes or no. So what could I do or stop doing that would make it easier to work with me. I was working with Krista Quarrels when she was CEO of Open Table and she said, Kim, I could never imagine your words coming out of my mouth.
Speaker 3: And she said, the question I like to ask is tell me why I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a fine way to ask too, it's got to sound like you. But The other thing about your question is you want to make sure that you adjust it for the person you're asking it up. There are a couple of people on Christmas team who found that question too aggressive, and so for them she had to sort of back off and ask it more gently.
Speaker 1: What are some other variations on that question that you asked to elicit face back from others that are stuck with you?
Speaker 2: Jason Rosoff, who is the person who I co founded Radical can or the company with he likes to ask where this week did I get involved where you didn't want me involved? And where did I not get involved where you did want me involved? And the interesting thing there is that some people really like their managers to mostly leave them alone, and other people really want them more involved. And so as a manager, you want to try to be a thought partner, not a micromanager or an absentee manager. But different people are going to define those things differently, So it's useful to find out what people want from you.
Speaker 1: How do you know when you're asking too often for criticism? Is there a line somewhere?
Speaker 2: As a general rule, I want to ask at the end of every one on one, like once a.
Speaker 1: Week, so I want to ask about that, because it's one thing to ask for feedback, and it's another too you receive it in a way that positively reinforces the feedback, giving you more feedback.
Speaker 3: So how have you, kim become.
Speaker 1: Better at receiving criticism And I'm interested, particularly in criticism that you feel is unwarranted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want.
Speaker 2: To make sure that you're listening with the intent to understand, not to respond. The first step is to manage your own defensiveness. The next thing that's really important is to reward the candor when you get it. When someone gives you some feedback, they are taking a risk, and if you don't reward risk richly, you'll never.
Speaker 3: Take that risk again. It's tricky because it's easy to feel like a disagreement poses a risk to your relationship. But some of the best relationships of my career have started with a good, respectful disagreement.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about a situation I was in a few months ago where I had been given some feedback via one of my team that was about someone that had left the organization. And when I heard the feedback, I knew intellectually I need to receive the feedback and not get defensive, but when I heard the feedback, I actually knew that there was another side of the story, and at the time, I thought, how do I respond to this? And I made the decision to just be quiet and listen and thank the person for the feedback. But then I walked away from that conversation and I felt so frustrated, And a few weeks later, I said, hey, when you gave me this feedback, it was really hard to take for this reason, and I didn't share with them my side of the story because I wanted to protect confidentiality. But I'd gotten really frustrated sitting with that, and I want to know, what should I have done better in that situation, Kim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like a really hard situation because you couldn't share your side of the story. I think I would double click on that a little bit and say, are there maybe there are some details of your side of the story that you can't but maybe there's some that you can share. Because it never is very satisfying to say that's not what happened, but I can't tell you what happened, you know, So I think what I would have done in that moment is to say I really appreciate that you shared this with me, and I'm sorry that you had the experience you had.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it was really frustrating.
Speaker 2: However, there's more to this story, and here's what I can tell you. There's a lot more that I cannot tell you, but I want to assure you that I wouldn't have done what you thought I did. You know something along those lines, because the problem with just saying thank you for the feedback and walking away and feeling frustrated is that, unless you're an Oscar winning actor, that person knew you were frustrated.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Kim soon talking about what to do if you really disagree with the feedback that you've just been given, and also Kim's views on the best way to give someone praise. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work and live, I write a weekly newsletter where I share practical and simple to apply tips to improve your life. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot substack dot com. That's Amantha dot substack dot com. In those situations where you're receiving feedback and or criticism, let's say, and you find the five to ten percent that you can agree with and embrace and learn from. But if there is a situation where you do disagree with a large chunk, should you raise that at the time or should you give it some space and then come back to it potentially when emotions have come down? What should we be doing there?
Speaker 2: First of all, don't shut all over yourself. There's no one right answer, So how some compassion for yourself. If I am feeling like I'm really upset, then I might wait. However, if I'm calm enough that I feel like my executive function is more or less fully engaged, it's a little bit easier to have the conversation on the spot.
Speaker 1: I would love to talk about the flip side to giving criticism, which is giving praise and how do I do a good job of giving praise.
Speaker 2: The rules of thumb for praise are the same as those for criticism. You want to for both praise and criticism. You want to be humble. You're not the arbiter of what's good or bad. You're sharing your perspective. You want to state your intention to be helpful. You want to do it right away. The purpose of praise is to tell people what to do. More of why would you wait. You want to praise in public, criticize in private, and you want to do it in person.
Speaker 1: Something I'm curious about is the idea of how we can get better as a team at debating obviously doing that with respect. What advice do you have to get better at creating a culture of debate in a respectful way.
Speaker 2: One of the most important things you can do is to create consequences for bullying, because there's nothing that will destroy a good debate faster than someone who decides to bully others in the course of that debate. And the thing about debate is that it has to happen in public. Making sure that you're creating an environment in which people are respectful, that where you're disrupting bias when it happens, and where you create conversational consequences for bullying as well as compensation consequences and career consequences. Ultimately, that's going to help you create a culture of debate. You also want to make sure that you ask people to really check their egos when they come into debate. You're debating an idea, you're debating a notion, and the goal is to come together the best idea the best solution that you can have.
Speaker 1: You seen certain methods of helping people check their ego and be focused on debating the ideas and not the person. Just people naturally feel a little bit attached to their ideas.
Speaker 3: And take it personally when they criticized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, criticism shouldn't happen in public. You shouldn't criticize a person in a debate. Anytime you criticize someone in public, they're going to take it personally.
Speaker 3: So it's not a good idea. But you can debate.
Speaker 2: One of the things I talked about in Radical Respect is a Rogerian debate. And the idea of a rogarian debate is that you and I at a certain point and the discussion, we switch roles and I argue for your side and you argue for my side. And that can really help people learn to listen to each other and learn to talk more respectfully to each other so that we can put our heads together and come up with a better answer. I mean, that's the point of being on a team, as you get different points of view and you put them out on the table, and that's what helps you come up with the best answer. Steve jobs Likens debate on a team to a rock tumbler. You put a bunch of ordinary stones in this tin? Can you put some grit in there? It's on the motor, it spins around. There's a lot of noise, a lot of friction, but outcome these beautifully polished stones. And that's what we can do for each other if we're willing to debate and discuss ideas openly.
Speaker 1: I do love that. How do you know at what point to introduce that? Do you typically assign someone with the role of facilitator to go, okay, now it's time to switch viewpoints? How have you found that works in practice when you've used it.
Speaker 3: I'm usually not very good at being very formal.
Speaker 2: The way that I tend to use it is if I notice the quality of the conversation degrading, I will suggest, why don't we switch roles? I also use it when I have a particular point of view, and if I have some kind of authority in the situation, I want to lay that power down, and so I find it very useful to say, Okay, I know here's what you think. Here's what I think. Why don't I argue your point of view? When you argue mine and that can make it easier for folks to argue with me and also maybe to understand my point of view.
Speaker 1: I love that I'm definitely going to be taking a lot of these ideas back to my business INVENTI and Kim, thank you for all the tools and strategies that you've given me as a leader, and thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for yours love your podcast, and hopefully the Radical candor Radical Respect podcast can help your listeners as well.
Speaker 1: If you liked this chat with Kim Scott, you should definitely go out and grab her latest book, Radical Respect, and if you haven't read her classic Radical Canada, I highly recommend it as a really simple and practical way of improving how you give and receive feedback and ultimately become a better leader. If you enjoyed today's episode, I would love to ask a favor. Click follow on the podcast app that you're listening to this on, and if you're feeling really generous, leave a review for the show. Following this podcast and leaving reviews helps how I work find new listeners and your support is one of the things that makes this podcast possible. Thank you for sharing part of your day with me by listening to How I Worked.
Speaker 3: If you're keen for.
Speaker 1: More tips on how to work better, connect with me via LinkedIn or Instagram. I'm very easy to find. Just search for Amantha Imba. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the cool And Nation. I am so grateful for being able to work and live on this beautiful land and I want to pay my respects to elder's past, present and emerging. How I Work is produced by me Amantha Imba. The episode producer was Rowena Murray, and then thank you to Martin Imba who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound better than it would have otherwise.