Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money podcast. That makes finance fun, especially on Fridays. It's our favorite day of the week. No surprise is there because I get the team together and we celebrate you the incredible. She's on the Money community this week, guess what times are changing? Not just Grici is going to be sharing a favorite money wins and confessions from the community. Beck is going to be sharing her broke tips and how much she loves Jess Goterici's cooking, and we're going to be helping to answer a money dilemma. This week we're talking all about a partner who thinks treat yourself is buying a ute or a boat and something you slid into our dms about the pressure of feeling like Christmas is a really big spender, thon which it is right. But as always, before we get there, Beck with a mouthful of cookie, tell me, tell me about the cookies that chest mate.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I was well. I did take a bye while you were talking. I just couldn't literally couldnt control myself. But I've been looking at them and I don't think I can go a whole episode without eating a little bit.
Speaker 2: More so in the background to explain them.
Speaker 4: If you go to like a really really good donut shop and you can smell like the fresh cinnamon donuts, it's like that it's imagined that smell the texture of a literal perfect cookie.
Speaker 2: Right, Jess was saying that they're too dry. No, sorry, that's not right.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't know if this makes sense, but personally I'm a big fan of like hotcakes cook cakes, and it kind of like does it's got a hotcake vibe in the middle because there's like some sort of maple Lea's like.
Speaker 5: A pecan, but there's maple in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pie cookie, imagine the best cinnamon donut you ever had, the best textured cookie you've ever had.
Speaker 2: Plus caramel with maple syrra pecan.
Speaker 3: You're cooking and just like I can't cook and then she whips things like this out and you're like, yeah, Jessica, easy, so you're a life feel Yeah, so use straight lined to our faces?
Speaker 2: Real, Jesse? Where did you get this recipe? I found around tick? Can we have it in the Yes?
Speaker 3: I feel like this would be a really good present because look how cute they are too, so like, yeah, the vibe of the cookie is very wholesome, very festive, black, it's got like the dimple. This is probably too much cookie talk, but like it's important, right, But there's like the dimple in the middle, and then it's got the pikhans in the middle with the caramel.
Speaker 2: Like, can you imagine getting a plate of those as a gift? Totally?
Speaker 4: And that's the thing if you're listening and you're like, pickens are going to fall off, no, because they do have the little dimple and they're covered in this beautiful maple ley syrupy.
Speaker 2: People is so good.
Speaker 3: If Jessica doesn't share the recipe with a find it for you, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Don't don't expect to be allowed the show next week. Yes, seriously, jess is not here next week. You know she's cookies.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about our five star review that we received this week because it is so sweet, and you guys seem to love hearing the five star reviews because mainly they're just stroking Beck's ego. But this week I picked one that doesn't specifically mentioned Beck.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 3: So Brookie has written in so she said love, love, love, all in capital letters.
Speaker 2: You know it's going to start.
Speaker 3: I started listening to the pod about six months before I moved out of home with very minimal financial literacy. I've now been living out of home for three years and I am financially thriving. I used the podcast as a starting point for setting up our finances and organizing our budget when my partner and I moved in together. We are now on track to buy our own property in the next two years. I could not have done this with other beautiful She's on the money team, and I'm eternally grateful for the advice, guidance and support. The girls have given me so much love for the team.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's really sweet. Also, Brookie reminds me of Brookie cookies. That's on theme for today. Yeah, oh, there you go.
Speaker 3: It's just a bacon episode. It's a baking episode, all right. What has the community been baking up.
Speaker 5: Jessica, Oh, they've been baking up some money wins? May I say? Firstly? This week I have got one from Ze who said, I'm working through my freezer and I'm eating all my frozen stuff to start fresh. I feel like I haven't done a proper grocery shop in two months. Money win, which is one of my favorite things, because you know how you haven't gone through my freezer in age one hundreds and you're half eaten meal, or you'll buy pack of sausages nearly used to a new chuck ress in a freezer. I always guarantee you there's whole meals in your freezer.
Speaker 3: I convince myself, jess I convince myself that I can't remember when I put it in there, and then I try to work it out and I'm like, oh, it's been more than six months, or like it's been like a year or something. Is it still safe to eat?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: And then I get stressed, and then I don't throw it out because I get anxious about that, so it just stays in my freezer.
Speaker 5: You got to put a permanent market date on whatever your chuck in case pants, I think give that one a go.
Speaker 2: He's a smart.
Speaker 5: Cookie, but I wish I want a cookie money when I don't, sadly.
Speaker 2: In there somewhere, I'll figure it out. I'll work it out if you're next.
Speaker 5: I've got the money in from Airy who said she worked for a waste company and they take faulty books from publishers to the dump. So a lot of publishers, you know, things have ruined. You can't send them out. Maybe it gets wet or something like that. Every so often the driver brings some boxes in for the office staff, anything that's good enough that it doesn't need to go to waste. Today she scored these beauties. It's two copies of shoes on the money. I got saved from the waist and owned it. But I didn't want to send them to the dump, which I loved that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really cute. I've got a puny in my head. Can't say it please. Life's better when you're with She's on the money. Oh I got retracted. I'm not retracted. Okay, so you know how I was like, Ah, I'm so funny. I'm not.
Speaker 3: This is a finance podcast, a lot of comedy podcast, so.
Speaker 5: You'll stick to finance. Yes. Next, I've got a money win from Hannah, who said money win. I'm up skilling myself and learning how to do build a gel manicures.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how funny suggests. It's so fun.
Speaker 5: She said she's going to turn it into a little side hustle as well, which lets her be creative money. We love that. Next, I've got a money win from Tash, who said she had to change her holiday plans but she had booked the really cheap flights that don't include like the changes or the cancelation. Luckily, she called the airline and they were able to change the destination for her and she only had to pay ninety dollars in change fees, which is a lot of money, but better than losing your flights.
Speaker 2: But that's new destination. It's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Apparently they found the cheapest flights for her, so she didn't have to pay the difference either.
Speaker 2: We did that accidentally with Virgin recently.
Speaker 3: Remember so Beck, we went to Sydney just for the day and we're flying back and I had accidentally booked the like flights that have no flexibility on them, and we were like, oh, we need to get on the next flight. And usually if you've got like the what is it, I don't know, I don't know what they're called, like flexi Yeah, sure, And so you get the flexi flight and when you get to the airport, if you need to change, you can go up to the front tesk and be like, hey, could you swap this, And they're usually really like accommodating, and the girl was like, oh you aware that you don't have those flights that you can change, And I was at the desk acting like I did. I was like, oh, I was just wondering because I've done it before, and I wasn't being rude or anything. I was like, oh, hey, I was just wondering if we could change to this flight because I think we're at the airport like three hours early or something, so we wanted to get on the flight to go home earlier, and side note, the flight that we were on we had just found out was delayed by like another two hours.
Speaker 2: So I would have been a five hour age.
Speaker 3: And we were like, oh, we could sit at the airport for five hours, or I could see if we can swap them anyway.
Speaker 2: The girl was so nice and she's out. Yeah. She was like, look, you're not meant to do this, but I'm going to work it out for.
Speaker 3: You, and and we were home before we needed to be home.
Speaker 2: So you know what it means. It always pays to be kind.
Speaker 5: Yes, and also to be like a loyalty member because I think because I.
Speaker 3: Think because they then saw, oh you're a platinum member or that's big dog status, but also because we fly so often, like it just happened. It wasn't because I bought that status. Like I just do a lot.
Speaker 2: Of work, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, I'll make it work. And the rest of the team aren't platinum, but she changed all of them as well.
Speaker 5: She's good your name and shout out to the queen at the Velocity Lounge. We love and appreciate.
Speaker 3: You and dialso really like the pumpkin soup there.
Speaker 2: Honestly, beck I walk into the lounge.
Speaker 3: And the first thing I say to Jess is if the soup's not pumpkin, I'm a riot, Like I'm not going to be happy.
Speaker 2: That's such a funny thing.
Speaker 4: Like when I go into so if I ever go into the lounge I did with you guys once. I'm not thinking about soup when I'm in there.
Speaker 2: Sally, aren't you What are you thinking about?
Speaker 4: I think about the most unhealthy, like sweet treats, you know, all that kind of stuff. I have twenty te's. You know, I don't feel like tea. Actually I don't feel like tea, but I'm going to have so many teas.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're free because they're free, yeah, free coffee, free sweet, so they've got literal free wine, free beer. Like it's actually insane to me. And then you're right, it is a bit unhinged that I'm excited about.
Speaker 2: Just back to you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Next, I've got a money went from Lisa, who said she did a new mattress for years. She got the email from us, this is totally me just striking our own ego because we save someone some money. Got an eymil from mass reminding her she'd get one hundred bucks off with that code for Koala that we had, and then she stacked it with shot back and she managed to save herself two hundred and fifteen dollars.
Speaker 3: So I saved a heap of money because I recently bought Harvey a new cot mattress and I went through Coola because we hadn't go I'm sorry, like I'm not going to work with brands, I'm not going to use myself. And when the little cop mattress came, it came with a Kohala branded book. I don't know if you know this, but they're like baby version is called Joey I think it's Joey Away. They come with a book, and the book is called Joanna the Goanna, and it hasn't very quickly become Harvey's favorite book. And I really like reading it. This is probably like complete side note, but I really like reading it because it's also about like recycling and like, you know, saving.
Speaker 2: The planet, and like Joanna and.
Speaker 3: The Goanna has one eye and like they're like trying to save their planet and they're like basically like you know, every small step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, this is the narrative.
Speaker 3: I want to be feeding my kid, so the free book at the bottom of a mattress box has become my kid's favorite book.
Speaker 2: Glass Saber, you can get you.
Speaker 3: It's not even about the mattress at this point. You can get your hands on that book. It is a good one for kids.
Speaker 5: Go and I've got a rund for everyone where we're all shopping for Christmas. We just did Black Friday. Stack your discount codes with your cash back because I saved I reckon about five hundred dollars with across a few purchases.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, we need to know, Jessica, what were you spending, because just say five you need to.
Speaker 2: Be probably spending.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 7: I bought some practical with I bought some contact lenses. I just tell you, Okay, that's boring and really no bothering. I'm c she is a discount stacker, So what else are we buying?
Speaker 2: Contact lenses?
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 2: Because I want something unhinged.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hear that you were making responsible purchases and planning ahead to save money or.
Speaker 4: Most unhinged purchase if you can, I don't know, I mean an unhinged I got you at the marketing got me.
Speaker 5: I'm a posed to chip took on this. I went to buy my favorite serum, which is expense if it's one hundred and fifty dollars, but it was. It was enough, the long com Genefe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are used to.
Speaker 5: It for like a decade.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 5: It's expensive, but it's good.
Speaker 3: One time I got sent that in PR and I was like, oh my god, I got sent that in PR and Jeff wiped it and I was like, I mean, it's really good. I love it, but also Jess is obsessed, so you can have it.
Speaker 2: But I was very proud.
Speaker 5: So I went on there to buy that.
Speaker 2: That was all I was buying, and I had like, you got like a six piece free gift.
Speaker 5: I was like great. And then when I was checking out, it's like, because you've spent one hundred dollars, you can buy like this upsell thing.
Speaker 2: Normally I would imagine you.
Speaker 5: They do always get used.
Speaker 2: And I looked.
Speaker 5: I had a little look, see you what was in the box, and I was like, immediately at cart the car the upsell was two hundred dollars. Before you freak out on me, you know it was in that box. One hundred and fifty dollars erum. Oh.
Speaker 2: In addition to that, there was one hundred icream.
Speaker 5: That I also used, so I was like, the box is paid for itself, and then there was like ten other free items which I then sold on Facebook market Place for one hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: She's so good. I don't think we could ever catch it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think we can catch her making a bad money decision, but we will continue.
Speaker 5: To try four dollars cash back as well. So basically I've all one.
Speaker 2: It was just all free. It was great. Oh that's such a nice so impressive.
Speaker 5: You're so impressive stacky discounts, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sorry.
Speaker 3: That was a hack that I don't think we've talked about on the podcast before seeing an opportunity like that, and I'm not saying it's a good investment long term, but going I could sell that on Facebook market Yeah. Did you look on marketplace first to see what it might self for? Are you just like I've done this so many times?
Speaker 2: I know, Nah, I.
Speaker 5: Just kind of knew, and because I like I in my mind, even if I didn't, I was like, oh, I could gift it to someone potentially or whatever. But everything came. I got two really like pretty makeup bags, and then so I just kind of split the products across them. Checked the retail value because I all new, like I'm not being dodgy or anything. Checked the retail value. Each bag was worth like two hundred and fifty bucks or something. It was so much free stuff, So each bag was worth aout two and fifty bucks. I truck to my marketplace and I think I just listed them for like sixty dollars each or something.
Speaker 2: And negotiated it for fifty bucks. Yeah, a girl message.
Speaker 5: He was like can I do both for a hundred? And I was like done today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my gosh, so you technically like I'm just doing some background maths. Got a two hundred dollars product, you ended up paying one hundred dollars, but got your free one hundred and fifty dollars serum and one hundred dollar ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah as wow, yeah, okay, I like game.
Speaker 5: And then you got cash back, and then I got forty bucks in cash back as well, So I just laugh. I popped off.
Speaker 2: It's home keeping shot back in business. Just absolutely sure.
Speaker 3: I love that, all right, Moving on to broke tips, Miss beec what have you got for us apart from stealing cookies?
Speaker 4: Okay, so this one comes from a friend of mine. These these are all kind of Christmasy, getting in.
Speaker 2: The festive mood. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like it. It's the mood. It's not a Christmas win, but like they're festive feeling. Festive feeling exact.
Speaker 5: Okay, a cute festive feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cute. So this first one comes from a friend of mine.
Speaker 4: He says that if you're and this might be like, you know, common knowledge to some extent, but if you're a hosboal worker or working healthcare or anything like that, just be open to working at least one of the public holidays. I remember when I worked at this, Like I used to work at like line painting, you know, either the car parks and stuff. You know, we used to paint all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: What And they offer me a.
Speaker 4: Thousand dollars So fun, I know, it was really fun. They offer me a thousand dollars to work Christmas Day and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, immediately, yes, immediately, yes, I've worked a few Christmas days totally costpo life.
Speaker 4: And it's like there's no better feeling, Like I understand that you're like missing out on family time and maybe if you have to work in the mornings and that's when everyone does the presence, but if you, you know, just have a chat with everyone and like try and work around it.
Speaker 2: Like there's no better feeling than finishing.
Speaker 4: Like a day's work and also knowing that you just made so much money and then going home and just being able to go and spend time with your family now uninterrupted. You got so much money, You've probably made all the money that you spent back.
Speaker 3: I didn't make a thousand dollars though, Like I remember working Christmas Day because I worked at a rest d way back when and every year, like somehow now i'm thinking about it, they'd be like, oh, vib but everybody else has families, so did I, but I had no children. Yeah, and we'd work Christmas Day. But the vibes are real high. All the kitchen staff were being festive, like obviously the people that were there were there for their Christmas dinners. Like it was actually just a really fun and they only made us do either a lunch or a dinner service, Like we didn't ever have to do the back to back and.
Speaker 2: I kind of vibed it.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's some unwritten rule that like Christmas, public holidays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, all that, like everyone kind of can do the bare minimum like Boxing Day. Obviously you're run off your feet if you're in retail or something, but like there's a spoken, unspoken rule, like you get a good plate of food, Like you get a little bit extra time on your break, like everyone's just chill because you're putting in.
Speaker 3: It makes me now think of all of our like frontline workers, so like all of the nurses, the doctors, like literally everyone who's going to have to work Christmas Day, while I now get to have a full Christmas Day, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: But I didn't always have that.
Speaker 3: But just shout out to you because like serious is like that's the reason why we are safe on Christmas Day when all of the kids get their new trampoline, double bounce their siblings straight off the trampoline to end up in an emergency and we're okay because you're there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every I'm working for Christmas Day.
Speaker 2: Speaking of double bouncing.
Speaker 3: Complete side note, I feel like in twenty twenty four, like I'm seeing all of the trampolines with like this.
Speaker 2: Segmenting and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but my favorite game on our old school definitely above Ground, no net, no bumper metal, just metal a.
Speaker 2: Metal my favorite. Do you remember the game Crack the Egg?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, sister, My sister and I used to play that game. And like what for those of you who don't know what we're talking about, one person bundles up like a little ball and position on the trampoline or the other person and jumps aggressively on the trampoline trying to bounce them off. Yeah, our game was bounce the other person completely off the tra aggressive.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: Because we can't do anymore with the nets, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just really concerned, like my babies in the next few months probably going to start walking.
Speaker 2: Is this what I mean? For absolutely?
Speaker 5: My intrusive thought with the nets is just that I want to hurdle myself at them as fast as you. But I'm assuming the chances are I wouldn't just go through.
Speaker 2: We should go to Trounce. Actually we should have wanted to go, have you not been? I want to go to all right, Well, we'll do God, but I do have to be.
Speaker 3: Really clear before we get them, before you consent to coming with me. I have never gone to bounce and not had someone who's been with me break a bone.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Like every time I've been that's Cindy. How times is like twice? Three times? I have been read three times? Every single time? Every single time?
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The first time I went, my ex boyfriend broke his leg. Don't about really, egg? Yeah whatever whatever.
Speaker 3: The next time my friend fractured the bone in the top of her foot by like landing on the side of a trampoline really hard, came down and like land Its weird. And the next time one of my friends broke his arm, Oh god. Track record says it's mainly males who do okay, actual really but if we go, we should go.
Speaker 2: It's just us and I'm the most mask of the group. That means the chopping I reckon, you'll be fine? Do you think so going? Men make dumb decisions? Yeah? Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: But we're not double bouncing each other. Okay, crack the egg maybe you and me can do. And just for sure, what's your next break tip?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the next one is also probably common knowledge. Knowledge ain't that common exactly.
Speaker 4: And also I feel like it's a good These are just good reminders, you know, like a lot of I feel like a lot of families. Maybe it's just my family, but I do hear of like friends and stuff. They like, oh, we're having Christmas dinner at mine, so that means I gotta get everything, and you know, it's very stressful.
Speaker 2: They've got to do all the cooking.
Speaker 4: But no more of that from now until forever. If you have people coming to your house or you're going to someone else's house, the rule is now, everyone must bring a dish.
Speaker 2: One dish. Everyone just does one dish and that's it, even if it's two of you.
Speaker 5: We want it.
Speaker 3: Recently for the Zella team, like I wasn't Christmas. They wanted to do Thanksgiving but Friendsgiving, and so everybody just brought a dish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it made it so easy.
Speaker 4: That's it's what you need. That one comes from Amanda. I should say sorry. I even give the name of the other one that my other friend is friend.
Speaker 2: People are like, oh, that's such common knowledge.
Speaker 3: You need to do a little bit of a reminder or a little bit of a like self check and be like I know that, but not everybody know that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And like I learned very early on, like in my early twenties when I moved out into sharehouses, that we don't all have the same experience growing up, Like we don't all learn how to do.
Speaker 2: The same things.
Speaker 3: Like I remember one of my girlfriends that I lived with, she was like, Hey, they's really embarrassing. Can you show me how? Like you always iron, Like I'm a psycho. I know, Jess, do you even.
Speaker 2: Own an ime?
Speaker 5: I do not?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: She refuses to buy things that you have to iron. I hail that you do you? But I'm an iron girl. I love a crispy shirt.
Speaker 2: She was like, can you teach me how to iron a shirt? She just didn't know how.
Speaker 3: And I remember at that time, I was like, oh my god, how do you not know how to iron a shirt? And in retrospect, I'm like, ah, the you're being a bit rude, Like we don't.
Speaker 2: Just learn this stuff.
Speaker 3: If someone didn't teach you or share with you a small tip or a small trick along the way, we can ask our friends. And I know that you might have been like, oh, like it's not that common, but.
Speaker 2: You can all bring a plate? Like you might have grown up in a family.
Speaker 3: Where when you're hosting, everything is on you and that's the expectation. And you're like, oh, well, you know, if Jess said she's coming to my house, like I'll say, oh, no, don't bring anything, Jess, Like that's your default.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do that. And I think just being.
Speaker 3: Given permission or having these conversations goes, oh, hold on, So you're saying you could make Jess bring snacks to my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to me. I used to a great deal and her cookies. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I used to get so anxious because I also grew up a house where we didn't like host dinners or even like, you know, I didn't even know what a quilt and like the difference between a blanket or a quilt or a comforter was. And so when I went out and bought my first what blanket set a moment to know that. I think it's like, well, a comforter is maybe something you put on your lounge or something like or like something you.
Speaker 5: Put comforter is it's kind of like a doate. It's usually a little bit thinner. Do they or do they doner. She's interchange. Quilt is like the you don't take the outside off, whereas your doner is like your white plush thing that you put on your like your heavy thing.
Speaker 2: Then you change the pre on.
Speaker 5: The quilt is often decorative, but some people like them because they're lighter.
Speaker 2: I have a doner, then you have a doner.
Speaker 5: Yes, totally change.
Speaker 4: Even like napkin, Like you know when you go to a place and they give you a nap I didn't know what to do with that until literally, I'm not joking this year, Like I was, I don't know what what what? Like the material one, yeah, I'm like I don't know, and then the lap I was like what they do it for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well now I feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: So you know, whenever we've been out for dinner or like lunch or something, have you noticed I always do it before they can.
Speaker 2: Get to me.
Speaker 5: I need to start doing that.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't want you doing that. It's uncomfortable. I know that it's like part of the service, but.
Speaker 2: I just feel.
Speaker 5: Silly, like I'm like, oh, like I can I can just put it on my laps, Like don't you feel like I want you to have to do that for like, I know that anyway, no, I know you, doesn't make you feel like a tiny baby? Yeah, heard, is that right? Like there's so many silly little things that people just don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everyone grew up different, we need to different.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about this for like a like series on my Instagram or something. You're just like stuff that your big sisters teaching you or something like that.
Speaker 2: Because they are my favorite.
Speaker 5: Like the talks, Yeah, because there's TikTokers or YouTube, so we're getting so far off truck everybody.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it's related to the she's on the money.
Speaker 2: I love the idea.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite teat talk is this little old British lady named Anne who teaches you.
Speaker 2: How to clean stuff.
Speaker 5: Yes, and she so we'll put it in the show notes showed out to Ann. I love that woman.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she's so wholesome too, Like you can tell by her tone that she's so non judgmental. She like she stitches videos and she'll be like, oh hey baby, I see that you've done x y Z. What I would actually do is get out the sides and use some cold water.
Speaker 5: And this, and you just like I love I'll show you after.
Speaker 2: But I feel like.
Speaker 3: I feel like I am that person ADHD. So I'm jack of all try scared of none, so I give everything a crack. And I grew up with a mum who has not been diagnosed with ADHD.
Speaker 2: But if you see the two of us together.
Speaker 3: You'll be like, Wow, the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree. And that's a compliment. So if you're my mum and you're listening, like, that's not a bad thing. But like, I don't know one thing that woman can't do. She can sew, she can bake, she can cook, she can clean. She like if you were like, oh, I need to build a chicken coop, she'd be like say less, Like this woman can do everything. And growing up I was in the very privileged position of, oh do you want to do that?
Speaker 2: We'll work it out.
Speaker 3: And so I've just hey, Jess, I can sew, I can bake, I can stitch. People like, where did you learn how to do crostitch? I'm like, can't you all do crosstache?
Speaker 2: You just learn it and you.
Speaker 3: Just do it anyway. I think that that would be a fun series. Beck have you got anything.
Speaker 2: Else for us?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, and so my one these are all kind of like similar ish. This one's not really a Brooke tip, but I guess it's just a good idea for any friend group or any family group that wants to try to not spend any money this year, this year, or actually this has gone on.
Speaker 2: For a few years now.
Speaker 4: But my one of my friend groups we do this thing called shitty Christmas. And these are the rules of shitty Christmas. No spending one cent on the gift or wrapping winner is the shittiest gift of them all. Sorry everyone for all the swearing, and we'll have their name engraved on the golden turd.
Speaker 2: I actually do you have it? Are you telling me you have a truth? We have a golden turd?
Speaker 4: That being just like those you know, those cheaping grades you can probably get them from like I don't know, yeah, no, I do know.
Speaker 2: It's spotlight and stuff.
Speaker 4: If you leave behind your present of wrapping, twenty doll penalty goes into the Christmas pool for next year. So I guess you'll leave behind you're rubbish exactly, and so that that amount of money will go into the pool for next year. So if you want to, you know, maybe get a new golden turd or whatever that is.
Speaker 2: So that is.
Speaker 3: Fine people, And then with the fine money they're buying golden turds, Jessica.
Speaker 2: It's money well spend. I am screaming, crying on the inside. Perfect, So this is shit.
Speaker 5: What's your shittiest gift that you've ever gotten?
Speaker 4: Okay, so I I want to know who's winning. Yeah, last year I didn't go, but someone like, okay, so someone did a I can't.
Speaker 2: Fully remember what it was, but it was very funny.
Speaker 4: It was like a cute someone gave just like a piece of paper with a QR code on it, and you scan the QR code, it's Ellen DeGeneres doing something.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what it was, but I'll try and fine for you guys.
Speaker 4: Just like really silly things like that, and you have to be like it's so fun because yet so creative.
Speaker 2: It is so funny.
Speaker 4: It is so silly, and you don't spend a single cent. Ideally, if you spend ten cents on printing off a QR code, maybe that's cheating, but that's okay. So just a good idea for anyone who is like I don't want to cost for money.
Speaker 2: Let's try and do that, you know, something like that.
Speaker 3: So I think that's really fun because the Q really forces you to be creative.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the twein dolls can go to the food next year whatever, you know, So I think that's really fun.
Speaker 3: All Right, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about a partner who thinks that a treat yourself present is like a ute or.
Speaker 2: A boat in the well.
Speaker 3: And then we're going to be chatting about something do you slid into our dms about? And that's the pressure of feeling like Christmas is just one big spenderth on it. So guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone.
Speaker 5: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, Yeah, I was just a little bit of a money dilemma.
Speaker 6: What would you do if your boyfriend of three years has just gone out and brought a brand new ut at a forty five thousand dollar loan, a nineteen percent interest rate, and over five years. Don't get me wrong, I really like this year. I love it, actually, But we didn't need to get in debt for.
Speaker 2: This because we've already got another U.
Speaker 6: We also have a boat, Whereas now you would like to go and get a twenty thousand dollar loan now to buy a bigger boat, but it's not much bigger, and we've already got a boat, and we've already got a You, and now we got a new you. I really don't know what I can say to him, and I really don't know how I can express the way I'm feeling. I'm feeling really unsure, unsettled, and I'm starting to stress a lot. Before this, our finances were great, Our five year goo of a baby buying a moving state was really on track. We're in our early twenties. I know we don't have anything to lose right now, but I'm really worried. Thanks, any advice would be amazing or what can I say?
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 6: Would be super super great?
Speaker 2: Thanks guys. Also, I love you. I love you a lot.
Speaker 4: First of all, I don't know who this lovely person is, but they sound like such a ball of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I need to know them. She's so funny. She's like she was like, well, I love the you too. But you know, I'm like, oh my god, what a legend.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, congratulations in things that is incredible.
Speaker 2: We've already got a vote. That's incredible. You've already achieved very pretty good money goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess it sounds like, you know, we don't have heaps of context, but it sounds like they're already pretty well off if.
Speaker 2: They have those things. And I mean, I could be completely wrong.
Speaker 4: Maybe they worked for a long time to buy those things and now they're just kind of like, you know, comfortable or less then, But I guess it is a thing we hear a lot, and it's if you have shared financial goals, which it sounds like you guys do, it's really not okay for your part to making that like such big grand financial decisions that will actually affect you and your shared financial goals.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's okay.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you feel like you want validation, that's all I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't have any financial advice, obviously because I am not the one. But Jess might have something better.
Speaker 5: I think if it's hard because she didn't say whether or not they share finances, because I think the more intertwined. Like, I agree, if you have shared financial goals, you should absolutely still be talking. But I think, particularly if you share finances, you really have a strong case to be like, hey, my dude, like not okay. I think that, honestly, exactly what you said to us is what I think you should say to him. It's you're at the point where obviously these things are not things that you can just return to the store. But I guess there's a conversation around okay, well are we selling the other ute and the other boat, like we don't need two of each, Like let's be practical, let's make some money back. And then I think the bigger conversation is around I think we've mentioned this before, but like setting your threshold for purchases. So if you share finances or share financial goals, I think having a number, and that number is going to look different for everyone. But for example, if I'm going to spend over one thousand dollars, you know I'm going to talk to my partner about it and be like, hey, like I want to do this. It's not necessarily asking for permission, but it's creating an opportunity to discuss how is this going to impact the things that we want to do, Because for example, taking out a load on a car, if you're going to want to move states or buy a house, that's going to impact your ability to do that. And so even if he's paying for that completely out of his own money, like, it still warrants a conversation. I think this applies on both sides. The same applies to her as well, Like it's an equal thing, or it should be across both partners that you're having conversations about these big things. And I don't think it needs to be any harder than that. And if he's a nice person and he loves you, he will hear you out. Is kind of my thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I agree, I have two streams of conversation to have. So let's have the first conversation, and that's around shared financial goals. So I've done some maths, and as you guys know, I own a finance company, so my team actually finance cars all the time. Yes, it's not amazing debt, but I think we also are very on the same page about understanding that sometimes we just need to finance car Like your family's growing, you need a bigger car, or you need a ute like not in this particular situation, but you need a ute for work otherwise you can't work.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So we do a lot of car financing, and I'm going to give you a really good comparison that's going to make your eyes water in a hot second. But I just went with the standard, like you're paying every month, five year term ten dollars a month fees, which is pretty standard, but at nineteen percent, that means you're paying eleven hundred and seventy seven dollars a month. Can you imagine if you were saving for a home together, and now your partner has decided to take eleven hundred and seventy seven dollars from your shared goals and putting it towards a car loan, Like, that's not very Livlah laugh, That's not very prioritizing our financial goals.
Speaker 2: Like I would be personally to put it.
Speaker 3: Lightly off it if my husband came home and said, I've just signed up to a five year loan at nineteen percent.
Speaker 2: I haven't consulted you.
Speaker 3: It's going to mean that if we wanted to achieve any other financial goals, it's not going to happen. So eleven hundred and seventy seven dollars a month for a whole year, that's fourteen than one hundred and twenty four dollars.
Speaker 2: That's like someone's rent. It's not just someone's rent. It's like literally someone's rent. Like it's it's someone's rent.
Speaker 3: It is a year's worth of savings that is a whole lass, massive emergency fund. That is multiple holidays throughout the year that could be a holiday, and a new reasonably priced second hand car. That is school fees for an entire year of private school. Like we're trying to contextualize this a little bit because that is a lot.
Speaker 2: But I also did some further maths. So this is the second stream.
Speaker 3: So the first one was like, I can't believe someone is making and I would feel really upset if my husband was making big financial decisions that compromised my financial security into the.
Speaker 2: Future without me totally.
Speaker 3: Like if it was a joint decision and you both had sat down, you did your numbers, and you said, right, well, we're both on the same page. We both want this you, we both are happy with the terms of the arrangement.
Speaker 2: Who am I to judge?
Speaker 3: But right now you're telling me that your partner prioritized his wants over your shared goals. Yeah, and that's a bit thick if I'm being honest. On the flip side, I did the maths because nineteen percent is an incredibly high interest rate on car finance. That is what on average, I would say a credit card in Australia is So forty five thousand dollars at a nineteen percent interest rate over five years means that you're paying a total of seventy thousand, six hundred and thirty nine dollars for a forty five thousand dollar carp Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cook, oh my god, that sounds illegal.
Speaker 3: That means you are overpaying twenty five thousand, six hundred and thirty nine dollars for this car. And we know that the second so you went and bought this car brand new fantastic. You drove it off the lot, it already lost value, So you've already lost like thirty five I'd say thirty to thirty five thousand dollars by making this decision, because you can't sell that car for what you owe, nor can you sell that car for what it ultimately costs you over that five year time period.
Speaker 2: Are we saying that all car finance is bad? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Not nineteen percent exorbitant. I would never let a client do that. So if you came to me and sayvia I want to I want a car loan, I would be like, probably not that one. We recently at Zella financed a car loan sixty thousand dollars car six point seven two percent, which, by the way, is what on average I would say home loans at the moment, we're getting them.
Speaker 2: For like six point two percent, so like not that much more than property.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying that it's good, but I'm giving you a bit of context here. That means that every month. Context First, for the forty five thousand dollar ut that was costing them eleven hundred and seventy seven dollars per month, right for our clients at Zello who ended up, you know, getting car finance and really needing it for six point seven two percent. They were paying eleven hundred and ninety dollars a month for sixty thousand dollar car, right, and they were paying a total of seventy one thousand dollars over the life of the loan. So, yes, the loan would cost them about eleven thousand dollars, but it's not twenty five thousand, six hundred and thirty nine dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, I see, like we're not.
Speaker 3: I feel like when we make these decisions, we'll go that's a bit of interest, whatever it makes my monthly payments a little bit more Like we've all been there, Like Beck, you and I have been in debt. Jess, you've been in debt as well, probably not as significantly as Beck and I.
Speaker 2: Thank God God. She's the smartest one of the kids' the smart one, and she will give that to her. She's also way better at baking.
Speaker 3: But that is crippling, and that mindset exists, right, Like I remember when I got my personal loan, I was like, whatever, it's a monthly payment. I'm happy to pay that monthly payment for this lifestyle or I'm happy to, you know, do that value exchange. But no one sat me down and said, well, this is actually what it costs. Like, does your partner no that that forty five thousand dollar car is actually costing him about seventy grand?
Speaker 2: Is he aware of that?
Speaker 3: Is he comfortable with that if I put that on paper? Is that a good financial decision? On the flip side, remember that client that I was telling you about sixty grand. Yeah, they're paying seventy one thousand dollars over the long term. That's actually a work vehicle, so they actually need that to generate an income, and they're very happy with the idea that over the next five years they'll pay about eleven thousand dollars to have access to that car. But that means that they're going to be able to generate a full time income. So they're like, oh, eleven grand, I'm probably paying about two and a half grand a year for the privilege of having a car loan And they're like, oh that, like it's a lot of money still, but two and a half thousand dollars year year that I'm happy to pay that in order to get the car now instead of saving for five years to be able to afford it, and I think that that's where we need to go.
Speaker 2: Back to it.
Speaker 3: That's a great point, like no one gives the context, and I guess that's where I shoot myself in the foot.
Speaker 2: And I won't say we lose clients.
Speaker 3: I think we gain clients, but then we don't make any money off them, because so many times people come to Zella and they say, oh, VI, we really want a car loan, and like we're happy to do them, Like, if that's in line with your values, Slay, I can organize that. But sometimes our brokers get involved and they're like, are you sure you want to do that just a car Do you want to just have a chat about that, because we kind of have our morals hat on as well, and we want to make sure that you're in the best possible position. But that tells me that he hasn't thought about the long term plan, because what logical person goes I impulse purchased forty five thousand dollar youth with nineteen percent finance, and I'm totally okay with that because me being me, you could have got better finance elsewhere. I'm as so that nineteen percent. I'm assuming it was like in dealer. So like you walked in on the lot and there was probably a finance person sitting in a desk over to the left, and you went, oh, I'd love to buy this car Beck. And then Beck says, oh, did you need finance for that? And I say yeah, yeah, Oh come over and just quickly say Jessica, she can sort you out. Jessica would have been like, okay, cool, So I can probably let you drive home with that today.
Speaker 2: So these are the terms and conditions.
Speaker 3: You're so excited you haven't even thought about the interest rate and they go, oh, look, it's usually a twenty two percent interest rate, but I'm going to cut that down to nineteen. And you go, that sounds like a good discount. No worries, You don't even think about it. Yeah, you signed straight up. That is how it happens often, and it's a slippery slope. But I context realized it a little bit for you.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I think everyone has the iic about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think just take that information to him and have an open chat, because you're.
Speaker 3: I'm going to I'm going to email you my numbers and be like het, no worries, just show your partner this is because you can also potentially go back and work that out, or what you can do is talk to a finance professional and potentially have that car refinanced. So what that would mean is the finance amount and the amount owing would stay the same, which is okay because you still have the asset. But you go to somebody who can get your better car loan. We pay out the first one with the second loan, and then you pay off the second loan, which would hopefully be at a lower interest rate. If I'm being honest. You have whiddled down your options though, so you're not like on a completely level playing field with somebody who has a brand new car that they haven't driven off the lot yet. But it's probably a really good idea to get a second opinion and just put yourself in the best financial position. Don't even don't even get me started.
Speaker 2: On the boat sail away.
Speaker 3: Let's move on, because I I just want to, like, I love you so much.
Speaker 2: I want to shake your partners so hard and be like, what were you doing? What are you doing?
Speaker 5: I like it?
Speaker 3: You do you know what you can't, but you'd look so hot in a you think you you would.
Speaker 2: I agree, like I don't want to be that person, but I can't agree. But all right, move on. We have a DM. Do you guys want to get into that?
Speaker 5: Yes? Ampletely?
Speaker 3: All right, So here is the damn we received this week, Hay team. Every Christmas, my in laws insist on buying individual gifts for everyone, no matter how big the family has grown. They say it's part of the holiday magic. But for me, all that overspending, over consumption are a waste and really taking the magic away. Last year, I scrambled to buy thoughtful gifts for people I barely know, I overspend, and I still feel like it wasn't enough. I suggested we switch to Secret Santa to ease the stress, but they were not.
Speaker 2: Open to it.
Speaker 3: They think it would take the joy out of the season. But honestly, the pressure to keep up is doing that for me already. Is there a way to simplify things that still respect their traditions? I want Christmas to feel meaningful, overwhelming?
Speaker 5: Oh it's so hard, isn't excuse? I think everyone has their own perspectives and feelings on Christmas. Yeah, if you have two really strong different feelings, it's a hard thing to reconcile.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've seen this a lot. I've been having a lot of conversations with my dms recently about Christmas, and like, I suppose intergenerational wealth. So like the older generation, like the Boomers being like, no, but that's the Christmas magic. But they also have the disposable income to spend on that, and it's not painful for them to do that. Like they're like, no, of course I want to get Jessica a present. Of course, her new partner Beck is coming. I'm going to bring Beck a present. Like and you know what, that's so nice. Like the idea that gift giving is they love language and they want to allocate their.
Speaker 2: Resources to you guys.
Speaker 3: So nice, But they're not seeing it from the other perspective that when I receive one hundred dollars gift, there's that expectation to give one back. And if you're going into a situation where there's fourteen people coming to Christmas, is that actually reasonable to expect of everyone? Financially it's crazy. We're in the middle of the cost of living crisis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sad that they didn't want to do because my normal suggestion would be like a secret Sanda, like that's the obvious choice, and.
Speaker 2: She's clearly trying to pitch you Already's.
Speaker 5: If me personally, if that was the case and I couldn't afford to do the gifts or like the stress of it or whatever, and I was like, oh, I need to give something, but like they're not meeting me at the table with the secret thing. I would probably do it, like bake something.
Speaker 2: Like I would.
Speaker 3: I would ask you to bake me something. Don't give me presents food serious food.
Speaker 5: Is you know, if you do a big batch of the same thing for everybody, it can be like reasonably affordable and you can still I think if you present it really beautifully. I'm thinking that these people sound kind of selfish and maybe they weren't appreciate it, but like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the viow I get to if I was getting but I didn't want to say it so much.
Speaker 5: If that's the case, though, you're never going to be able to win, is my kind of thoughts. And so I think like, if like I think cook comes from a heart, you can dress it up really beautifully, like put it in beautiful packaging, maybe write out, you know, a recipe or pick a meaningful recipe it's a family recipe or my personal favorite, and I wanted to share it with you. You can, you know, give them a little tea towel or something if you want to add something to it. But I think baking is a really good gift to give to lots of people because you enjoy food, you share food. But I honestly my deep down feeling you're just not gonna win, and that kind of sucks. But like if they're gonna hold that against you, they're kind of shitty people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: I was going to say too, like if you are just grappling with these particular people and everyone else is pretty chill, because I feel like this is not some completely alien concept. Like literally Christmas is stressful right now, I'm sitting here. I actually have anxiety about this conversation about how much money I'm going to have to spend over the next month. And so it's not a foreign concept, like people understand that. So this is the only one or two people that are are kind of like pushing back on this, maybe like talk to everyone else and just get those two people presents and be like for everyone else, let's all do a secret stander all. Let's all do nothing, because I'm sure if you're thinking it, other people are probably thinking I can't thought this either, like this is excessive, this is yet.
Speaker 2: Surely you're not the only one.
Speaker 3: Surely, And maybe this is just stereotyping, but I'm assuming it's coming from the matriarch in the family who's like running the Christmas stuff, and you will go to her hot like, I don't know, this is very stereotypical, but I feel like that's often the type of person that.
Speaker 2: Pushes that narrative.
Speaker 3: And I don't know how you would approach this because so many people have so many different ways, But I do believe they might have their blinkers on a bit and they're not seeing the world for the situation we are generally, and they're just seeing their situation and going but it's.
Speaker 2: Fine, and that's really nice.
Speaker 3: But maybe even contextualizing it and being like, hey, cool, like I've actually done the maths on this, and I've worked out that it all cost me fourteen hundred dollars just on gifts before I even come to Christmas, and that's just not financially viable for me. And seeing if that context helps, because often people will push back on you when they don't have a full comprehension of the situation, like if I've never been in your shoes back and I go, well.
Speaker 2: It's not that hard.
Speaker 3: It's like someone trying to explain their anxiety to you, Like I am someone that's not scared of spiders, like.
Speaker 2: I genuinely am not. I'm like, oh, hey, friend, you're big boy.
Speaker 3: Like when I see a huntsman, Jessicau would fly across the room, like she even smelled like she thinks there might be a spider. She's not going in that room. So like trying to explain that to somebody and going, but I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: Why isn't Jessica fine with it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not fair. And the same thing exists around money. So I think we need to give somebody else the context because in this situation, let's pretend it's spiders. Just might go hey v my heart rate goes up significantly, I get anxious, I get sweaty hands, like it's I can't even think straight, Like it is so uncomfortable for me that I never want to be in that situation. For me, that's not my experience. But by being able to contextualize it, and see that.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's just this experience. Farah. I'm going to step in and be like, all right, will you stay outside. I'm going to deal with the spider and I'll let you know when it's all done and gone. I can sympathize easy after you exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think that by giving people more context and going, hey, cool, I did the maths and it's fourteen hundred dollars for me just to come. If my partner is also buying gifts, that's now twenty eight hundred dollars across the whole family. We're spending thirty thousand dollars this year on presence, do you know what I mean? Like we could extrapolate that out and go that's insane, that's not in line with our values at all.
Speaker 2: Or on the flip.
Speaker 3: Side, this is probably a little bit more rogue. Hey, that's fantastic. We won't be participating. Could you just circulate? People don't have to buy for us, they can buy for absolutely everybody else. We know that by opting out of this, we're not going to receive any gifts, but we're also not going to give any gifts on the day. You know, Jess and I We're going to make a big batch of cookies and bring all of the food and the vibes like will be there. Yes, And in fact, our kids would love to do a little secret santas, so maybe we could do that in addition, are you interested? We could just get the kids in on that and still have something that aligns with their values.
Speaker 2: Right, no worries. You do your thing then.
Speaker 3: But I'm actually not going to be actively participating in that and see how that goes. And I think it's all about being as positive as possible during that Because these situations money Christmas emotions, everyone can start yelling really quickly, everyone can start typing in group chat in like capital letters, and I think that just by going okay, cool, like this is really this is pushing me to my limits. But I'm going to maintain kindness and I'm always going to try and approach every response with empathy. Hey, I can totally see where you're coming from, but unfortunately that doesn't align with what we are trying to work towards for Christmas. And like, as you know, the three of us, we kind of people please is like, I'm not the type of person that's like I'm sorry, Beck, I'm not doing that. I want to be like, oh, actually, that fourteen hundred dollars that we talk and this is just like the number f picked out of my head. We don't know if that's a number. This fourteen hundred dollars is actually going to go towards We're planning on taking the kids on a holiday later this year and with budget about twenty five hundred dollars, so between us, like, that's actually our holiday budget, you know.
Speaker 2: Makes sense?
Speaker 3: Ha ha, Like I think if you need to contextualize it, you can do that. But also, no, nobody deserves an explanation.
Speaker 5: You're like to say, no, you're a grown adult. Yeah, I totally forget that sometimes. Yeah, like genuinely, I'm like, oh no, it's an.
Speaker 2: Option and the other thing, Jess, no is a full sentence. That's true.
Speaker 4: I understand how uncomfortable it would be. One hundred percent of social prior or yeah, one hundred percent. But people are probably going to be you might be shocked. You might be on your side and be like, oh my god, yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Been someone else's years, someone else's Itally we used to do that in our family and then I don't know who pitched it, but now we do Secret Santa, and that's actually really fun because the cap for us in our family is I think it's fifty dollars a present, but that's like our total Christmas budget for that side of the family, so that for us is quite reasonable. And then someone gets a good present, like we all walk away with a good fifty dollars present. On the flip side, I think I've told you guys this before. We do homemade, handmade, or second hand, yes, and so it has to be one of those three, and that becomes fun. It's like your like shitty Christmas where you kind of it's kind of like gammified, like what's the best if I can get secondhand on Facebook market place, which.
Speaker 5: Is really fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, whateveryone else say Okay, So we had a lot of opinions. First one we said which one of you? Eighty five percent of you said we are team Secret Santa. Fifteen percent said we are team buy for everyone.
Speaker 2: Almost be nice, yes or stressful Now I'm not on the tea.
Speaker 3: We then asked how are you feeling about Christmas this year? Forty three percent of views said that you were feeling stressed about overspending.
Speaker 2: So Beck, when you said.
Speaker 3: I'm really already stressed about this, soo's most of our community, forty three percent agreed with you. They were like, Beck, we are also stressed, so ac company. Do you know what, Maybe our community are better at money than we are. Because forty six percent of you said I'm actually a Christmas budgeting queen.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh great, it's been nice.
Speaker 3: And eleven percent of you said I'm happy to blow the budget it's Christmas.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what you're allow. You're allowed.
Speaker 3: You can do whatever you want as long as it's in line with your values. Like Beck, if you said, well, I want to blow my budget every Christmas, I'll be like, okay, well if you thought about it, cool, Like, all I want you to do is think about it and make sure that it's not compromising your bigger financial goals. Maybe Christmas is like Jess, is Christmas crazy and we love that. Maybe that's like the biggest thing that you're budgeting for the entire year because you cannot wait for Christmas. Yeah, I'm not gonna yuck your yum, Like, I'm not going to stop you from doing something that's so aligned to your values.
Speaker 2: But isn't it cool that by going through.
Speaker 3: The steps on these conversations, we're getting clearer on our own values. You're probably thinking, oh, well, I do do that or don't do that, but you've probably never thought about it before. You just go through the motions every year. So we then said to the community, what is your two cents? One person said, this sounds like I could have written it. Keen to hear answers, it is so hard. Someone else said, ask if you can do thrift mess or put a twenty dollar spend limit on each person, or make gifts instead.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got the cookie recipe for Jess's peak am Pire cookies in the show notes, so you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, just by everyone the same book. Obviously she's on the money book.
Speaker 5: You imagine everyone going a cofee if she's the money.
Speaker 3: Cue, by everyone the same book to it. Then someone said, bonus points. If it's that she's on the money, you're an icon. Another person said, you need the problem person to think it's their ideas somehow.
Speaker 2: Ohha, clevera I like this. This is a little bit psychological. Maybe you could pull them aside and be like, we're in the middle of the cost of living crisis. I think it would take the pressure off everybody. Maybe you could pitch the idea's just see how it goes. Yeah, oh that is nifty. I wish I'd thought of that one.
Speaker 3: Someone else said, feeling like a grinch for having to give gifts for the sake of it?
Speaker 5: Yes, true, you shouldn't have to do something you don't want to do. Is what it like ultimately comes down to Someone else said, my mother in law was the same. It took two years of us suggesting and building support, but this is year one of only buying one gift.
Speaker 2: Great, I love this.
Speaker 3: Someone else said, give that mental load back to her partner. Her in law gifts should be her partner's responsibility.
Speaker 5: There you go, huh pot take yeah, di.
Speaker 3: Y something small I reckon, like your Christmas crack and wrap up some for everybody Instagram.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 3: We'll link it in the show notes as well, because it's super easy. Just where the cookie is easy to make? Or are they like complicated?
Speaker 5: I would say mid like, they're not like a choc chip cookie because you have to make the peacan topping separate to the urine. But it's not No, like I can do it, and I maintain I'm not a particularly good cook, so like I think.
Speaker 2: It's what's the dishes?
Speaker 5: Nah, like two pans in the mixing bowl really, and and you're measuring cups and spoons, which I feel like is pretty standard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, we could do that. We could do that cooking.
Speaker 3: Being back, someone else said, I love gift giving, but I'm not offended if it's not reciprocated.
Speaker 2: Opt out, you queen. True.
Speaker 3: In fact, I find it really interesting this concept of gift giving. Like if I'm giving you a gift, it's not because I'm expecting something in return. I'm giving you a gift because I'm undred big you are going to love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it needs to be reciprocated equally to like I bought you a hundred doll year or you brought me one hundred all years.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. It's just it's love.
Speaker 5: Gift giving is meant to be.
Speaker 2: It's not your love language. That's so far exactly.
Speaker 4: Imagine we put that blanket rule over everything, like I'm going to go get your coffee, so therefore today you've got to do a good deed for me, you know what I mean. It's like No, you just like do nice things because you feel like you want to do a nice thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, if you are giving gifts in that way, this is probably really nasty. But that's okay. You were never giving the gift for that person to benefit. You were giving the gift to get something in return, and that's actually not gift giving.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So anyway, that is probably a negative place to leave it, So let me change it into a positive. I have a really great Christmas present suggestion, and that is my new book that came out a couple of weeks ago, The Business Bible hit Shelves, which is so exciting because I feel like I probably haven't promoed this enough. It's not just for like building ashes on the money size business. It's for side hustlers and earning some extra income on the side and managing that properly. And I think that there's for a very long time been this massive misconception that if you start a side hustle, you need to scale it to become your full time income. Like, Jess, how many times have you been asked, Oh, you have a side hustle, when are you going to be a full time influencer? And I think that we need to decipher that and champion the teeny tiny micro businesses because you need the same structure, like Jess, you still have to do the same tax return as a big business, but.
Speaker 2: You don't get the advice.
Speaker 3: So it's from small micro businesses to changing into a company for the first time, to taking your first million, to taking your first eight figures. And I think that it's a scalable book. That's also really fun because that's full of business diaries. So from all of my favorite business owners around Australia, they've come together and been like, oh, this is what I struggled with.
Speaker 2: This was really hard.
Speaker 3: I still what I'm doing and that was my favorite part. Anyway, that would be a very good Christmas present.
Speaker 5: And it's probably on sale right now.
Speaker 3: We'll link it in the show notes as well, because honestly, if you're buying my books not using a discount code or a sale, are you even a proper She's on the Money member. We support you all right, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It has been a pleasure. Where we will see you, guys bright nearly on Monday for a money diary. Bye guys, say.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 3: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Devine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine