Speaker 1: I think I'm tone deaf if I'm being honest. Really, yes, hold it not?
Speaker 2: Uh uh now you can do it. You good. It's a bit pitchy, but you've got perfect bit pitchy. It's a bit pitchy, and you won't be going through to Hollywood love.
Speaker 1: I have a another weird travel story. These sometimes open the pod and we decide whether they're usable.
Speaker 2: Go for it.
Speaker 1: I recently flew from Brisbane back to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: What airline?
Speaker 1: This was Quantus.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's that's the that's the AO bump right there. That's your own quantit's the national carrier.
Speaker 1: Well, the corporate that I did the gig for book the flights and it was one of those things where I didn't check which seat they had put me in until I arrived at the game.
Speaker 2: I thought, you fly, this is amateur. You see that letter B Yeah, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: God, I was not happy about seeing that bee.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's it's you can't do it. Yeah, you should ask to get another plane.
Speaker 1: Well I took the Bee and I sat in the middle seat and then the man next to me kind of a gruff looking character, gruff gruff like, okay, grizzled grizzled.
Speaker 3: Okay, like what like an old bit of meat just hanging out near the bins, near the trash cans.
Speaker 2: Is that what you mean gruff? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I think you're thinking of Oscar at the grouch. Oh that's right, so a bit of a yeah, a grizzled gruffman and he I swear to god, it's a two hour what fifteen minute flight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, stared at the compass.
Speaker 1: App on his phone for the entirety of the flight, did nothing else, and I buy default. Stared at his.
Speaker 2: Compass as well, you're going straight north?
Speaker 1: Well, no, from Brisbane to Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Oh, going breathing to Melbourne. I thought you were going Melbourne Brithbane. Okay, so this guy.
Speaker 1: Needs to stare at his compass man.
Speaker 3: Can I get a compass up very quickly? I never eat soggy weepics? How does it work?
Speaker 1: Again? So I was watching and we were generally going in the same direction the whole time.
Speaker 3: Can I say, and maybe this is like often I'm starting to think I'm having like, you know, moments as I'm entering into you know, old man territory. I have follow up questions to the compass. I'm like did it DEVI eight? Did you take other roots? I don't think it's as like uninteresting as you think it sounds.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you?
Speaker 1: Is it though? For?
Speaker 3: I mean it's crazy when you like pick up your phone you have access to literally everything.
Speaker 1: He did nothing else else at least I'm playing but Jewel the listening to Joel?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you listen to that, Andrew Tate Patreon you subscribe to subscribe.
Speaker 1: I think he deserves all our money.
Speaker 2: He's got some really good points. I think that's fun.
Speaker 3: I once flew from Melbourne to Malaysia and the guy sat next to me just looked at the flight map, the entire map. See, no headphones. No, he didn't even eat a meal.
Speaker 2: He just looked at the flight map.
Speaker 1: But is that right, Argon, I don't think if you're all.
Speaker 3: Dog and you can even look at the flight I think you don't get the flight map at all?
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, Yeah, that is interesting. Someone's trying to get your attention. Errol in the are they I don't know. They were just peering in and kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, a big week for Errol.
Speaker 3: He sent us a text message on Sunday night. Maybe he's saying I got to meet Dial Rook.
Speaker 2: Yes, doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: Context.
Speaker 2: Del Rook is he's a comedian.
Speaker 1: He's a comedian in Australia who we've known forever and so maybe it's a commonplace to us. But to our producer, what a moment.
Speaker 3: But Eryl, you know so many I feel like all your friends are comedians. Deal disrespect to Dealrook. But being like I got I finally got it. Yeah, I tracked him down.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though we know he's not that rare. It's like you can everywhere you can meet Del Rook whenever.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to this, Derook wants to meet you. I am.
Speaker 1: Well, we're back on Teas FM with Fridgie and the.
Speaker 2: Tom Toms.
Speaker 1: Yes, Virgie of the Top.
Speaker 3: I had to rebrand. It came from management. This is not who we want to be represented by.
Speaker 1: Uh today I'll Tennis FM. We are celebrating Rod Laver's birthday.
Speaker 2: Day on the calendar for everyone, big.
Speaker 1: Day on the calendar. He is the namesake of the pod. He absolutely loves heros. Every week he writes in and says it's Rod not Pod. I wanted to reveal it actually want so we'll take it away with the number one hit today. You are.
Speaker 3: My father, your matcha umpas.
Speaker 1: Believe us when we say Rod Pee birthday, Tell me why he hate nothing?
Speaker 3: But I come, tell me why he We think you hotpit that fear so wrong?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 2: Why Rocket Rod? Yes you slay.
Speaker 1: Happy eighty eight birthday.
Speaker 2: Yes, we realized it was on Sunday, all right. Let's thought he would have loved that.
Speaker 1: He would have loved that. H Samuel Tonton some huge tennis news.
Speaker 2: This week for tennis, Let's.
Speaker 1: Get into the don't rifle through an old tennis magazine and that's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be There's a lot of a lot of tennis news from December twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: We have so much to talk about on this week's edition of the Pod. Big news. Uh, just breaking in the last couple of days, Yannick Sinner pulling out of the Cincinnati Masters.
Speaker 2: The right.
Speaker 1: Injury.
Speaker 2: This is scary.
Speaker 1: So this means Sinners not playing Cincinnati. Yep, I guess question Well now for the US Alcaaz pulled out of Cincinnati. Questionable for the US. Can you hear Zverev's mouth watering from here?
Speaker 3: It's a my chance, but I think it's like you know, people often talk about that like it's the it's the big two detrimental to tennis.
Speaker 2: It's like, what I think we're learning is, you know, it's way worth.
Speaker 3: Neither of them either, because it's like you can just feel the soul kind of getting sucked out of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I.
Speaker 3: Think I heard the Cincinnati Masters tournament director he was like, well, you know, Carlos needs to get right for the US Open. You can see him just being like, God, damn it, this is like hurting it so much. He loves a defending Champian. We lose the other bets player in the world, so it just kind of sucks. I don't know what else to say about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the Center though, didn't play any lead up tournaments after the French leading into Wimbledon, and still one Wimbledon was a bit shaky in his first round match, so that means his tournament schedule is pretty unprecedented, going from the French to Wimbledon to the US and not playing any lead up tournaments. Five hundreds Masters, one thousands in the warm up. This stat floating around that no one has won the US Open without playing either Canada or Cincinnati really since those tournaments began in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean it is hard to get your reps up. I feel like there's like I don't know if it's with Sinner, but is there like I don't know, legit question marks around his body. I know, like we're talking about al Khaz basically hasn't played all years since you know, out here, but he just one of is like he's still winning. Yeah, but he does feel like you're you never know what's gonna happen, if the heat SAPs him or he's too fragile.
Speaker 1: I mean it does. Everyone said that the Montreal, the Canadian Open was in shambles because you know, none of the big guys were playing, and then also the upsets early on in Montreal. I mean, I'll just rattle him off. Obviously, center Alcoraz not playing Zavera went out early to Greek Spor Felix Age ali Asim with drew from the tournament, Djokovic not playing, Medvedev, demon Ar Fritz Koboli eliminated fairly early.
Speaker 2: So I mean it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: It is cool because if you look at the draw now as of recording, we're in the quarterfinals, right, and we have hod Are playing Fees, which is that's fun killer two of the most electric guys. Yeah, I love that as well.
Speaker 3: I mean it's maybe we're all in on Hoda now, like he's going to be he's the guy to get behind.
Speaker 1: He is. I don't know if you've been watching any of his matches, but like his return of serve is like each electric, yeah, Djokovic level stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just it's kind of like wide open.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is like what we want out of tennis. Actually, just like wide open, anyone can win. I just worry that It's like there's so much interest hanging on these two big guys that I don't know, it does seem kind of worrying for tennis. It's just worrying they're not playing like you you want them to kind of be both fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going back and forth.
Speaker 1: I think that because we have the context of center and Alcaaz would easily through a lot of these yeah. Yeah, so we're just like, well, we're watching subpar tennis. But then you go, well, with them gone, it becomes these guys' chances, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's also like it's like watch the grind. It means more. You know, it's like watch.
Speaker 3: People like go for it, Yeah, go for it with a chance to be like, it's all on the line if I get through. There must be something. I've thought about this a lot. If you the top guys go out early, or they're injured, or maybe they don't play, what mindset does that do? If you're I don't know, seated mid tier maybe twentieth or something, and you're like, I could have a good run but ultimately I'm never going.
Speaker 2: To get through or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then it's like you lose the top three guys, You're like, I could go like you know what I mean, you can have a proper swing, you can run the tables.
Speaker 1: It gives them hope, right. But then also, like I said, it's Vera's mouthwatering going, well, I'm going to get another slam this year. If it's you know, neither alcoraz.
Speaker 3: Or living a world with a pair of wins two slams in a year, potentially that's crazy.
Speaker 1: It is crazy. But also is this Djokovic's real shot for twenty fifth? I know he couldn't get it done at the French after Cinner went out, and you know our croa is obviously not playing.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a great storyline. But I don't know if his body is going to hold up now either.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But it's like, I feel like that's a great fairy tale moment. I feel like there is one last roll of the dice with Novak?
Speaker 1: Is it a fairy tale? He's won so much. Fairy Tale to me is like rags to riches. This is riches to riches.
Speaker 3: Wait so you you think it's like my boy Chris O'Connell, last ever show winning, like the French Open or something that is a fair time. But I think with Novak there is one last chapter. I just think let's think about the documentary, the Grapha, the documentary has come out, Let's think about Novak's future one. He seems so great that there is maybe one last moment. It could have been the AO this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he was in the final obviously, redline is game. In the first set at the AO, we were all there drinking beer and getting out of trouble.
Speaker 3: The text coming through get out of the media seeds with be is please.
Speaker 1: Those beers put them in coffee cups.
Speaker 2: Do not smile, do not have fun. This is how tennis works.
Speaker 1: But I like I said, you know, everyone's saying this tournament in uh Montreal's in shambles, but then like these are exciting matchups. Mensik Shelton, learn your ten still in it. He's playing Meredith, who's having a breakout season, somewhat overshadowed by hodar As. The two Spanish players absolutely ripping through the draws at the moment. But I think Arthur Fees might be up there with my one of my favorite new players. I mean, the guy's electric. If he can avoid injury, he's so awesome to watch. And just quickly I want to touch on the Arthur Fees Cameron Norri match because I love your take on this, Cameron Norri. Every time a point went his way, regardless of whether it was Nori hitting a winner or Fees hitting an error, would yell all lay two a Frenchman on the other side of the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just like being a pest.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, that's crazy mind games.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's also not very tennis, like you know, the sport of gentlemens and respect and polite and it's just really like getting into people's faces.
Speaker 2: But I do low key love it.
Speaker 3: Because I like seeing in any sport, I like like trash talk. I think it's a great fun part of the game. And with this sometimes people want to get rid of it because of like you know, who ruins it in like football and stuff when people say like racist things or homophobic things, and you're like, you're ruining trash talk for everyone. Now it's like just so yeah, yea, yeah, don't say that stuff. So we can still just like do little bad mind games with people, because that would be so annoying, like every time.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, what else could you yell at a French guy like.
Speaker 3: Bagatte like like snail snail. It would be fun if you had more words like rotating cargo yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It'd be like if yeah.
Speaker 3: They were playing in Australia and they would just yell out shrewm bamba Barbie or something.
Speaker 2: JAMOI yeah, jimoi in a bad accent. God damn it. That would just that would get me hungry.
Speaker 3: I would be a bit offended by that, but also impressed that you knew enough to say chicken.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, maybe we could be.
Speaker 1: Oh, the problem is I just had a double fault.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem is with Americans that there's just nothing to make fun of them about because we're perfect, because it's just so perfect, and maybe i'd yell out, Actually know what I would if I just hit a great winner and like beat you down the line, I'll just yell freedom.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think we're get in my head. If you want, thanks Obama.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, every time every time you tried to hit like a tasty little drop shot and it didn't make a puss the net old.
Speaker 2: Yell, how do you like that in Obama's America?
Speaker 1: That's good?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or do I go more political, like really get its political?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, no totally, but like more political like maybe if you're struggling to find yourself, I'm like, you've got better better luck of finding the weapons of mass destruction then that forehand.
Speaker 1: Or something that's good stuff. If you could think about that, getting the whole sentence out, that might be a hindrance. Yeah, they might call a hindrance.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, okay, But then if you could ask them to come to the net and the umpire maybe and just say, have just got something to say, and then set up your big line by being like hey, you've got better a better chance of finding the weapons of mass destruction than your forehand.
Speaker 1: Whisper on the change of ends.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if you could get on there to say it, or if you could pass notes to the chair umpire, can you please read that to the crowd?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, little note passing at the change of ends when you're like you're crossing.
Speaker 3: What a fun extra little part of tennis that would be. At the change of ends, you sit down, you can have a drink, but they also give you a notepad and a pen and you get to write one message to hand to the other player.
Speaker 1: And it's like, that's no one it can never be.
Speaker 2: Disclosed, No one ever knows.
Speaker 1: It's just between the players. Yeah, that's great, dude, bring it in. Yeah, we'll float that to the players during the AI.
Speaker 2: I think they should do it in a lesser tournament, you know, like one of the lead up tournaments Trialate in Brisbane or something, and just see how it works.
Speaker 1: There would be players that are just amazing trash talkers, Like, would you want Carrios passing you a note?
Speaker 2: I could definitely I could read devastate Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But also like I love it because it's another side of tennis that you wouldn't that's the whole trash talking thing. I think it's fantastic because it is so polite and they all hang out with each other and they're like, they're my best friends.
Speaker 2: I respect them so much. It's like, come on, come on.
Speaker 1: All right, so bring note passing into tennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and more trash talk. What would you say to an Australian the Chico roll thing. Yeah, surely there'd be something else, Pauline, Oh, that'd be good. Yeah, No, something like that that would make you. What are the Australians like self conscious about?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Maybe like how like you'd be like, no one's thinking about you and the rest of the world like that, you.
Speaker 1: Know exactly, we don't think about you at all. Yeah, don draper mehi where?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, because I feel like you could just get into someone's head about that, about their national identity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the convict thing. Do you guys really care?
Speaker 2: No? No, I don't think anyone cares about that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no no, So maybe I just draw like mean pictures of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, with the notes. That's fine, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should say Arthur 'es obviously came through that match and looked amazing against Nori, and he kept us cool. He didn't go to the chair umpire and say like, hey, he's yelling.
Speaker 3: Well, get like any kind of like there's no kind of repercussions for something like that.
Speaker 1: It's just tennis heads being like, oh, he's a pest, he's annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But then also like there's just a great tradition of when someone is a pest and is annoying in tennis, like it's almost a good pr move, like it does cut through people talk about it. I feel like it's it's it's maybe a good thing and maybe yeah, you shouldn't complain about it because then I guess it leads to more of it.
Speaker 1: True, But yes, it depends on the player. If it's a close friend. When I'm playing a social match, I will celebrate a net cord that you know, just dribbles over. None of this apology.
Speaker 3: But they should never be in any That's one of the real problems with tennis today, I think, is the apology when it dribbles over the net.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why are you apology?
Speaker 3: You're not sorry, I think, And it goes both ways, so it's not like he cares just fifth pump it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what you're seeing now. We might have talked about it before, but players will do the hand apology and then straight.
Speaker 3: In yes, because but it's also works. I do like that because a hand to fifth pump it's a very quick Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels rotten, but this.
Speaker 1: Is the yeah nah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: No, yeah.
Speaker 3: It also feels like I mean, it feels more disrespectful because it's almost like you're catching or you're grabbing them, do you know what I mean. It's like the apology and then you close to fifth pump.
Speaker 1: It looks like they just blew you a kiss and you grab.
Speaker 2: Lock it in forever.
Speaker 1: So the apology to you're stealing their kiss you are yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it if we can plug in steal my kisses by Ben Harper. So elsewhere in the men's Ben Shelton beating Fanska to reach the corner. Oh man, it was a great match. Both guys obviously blistering, four hands, big serving Shelton looks fantastic and Fonseka was up three zero in the second set after dropping the first set, and then tweaked his ankle going up for a smash and was never the same, was just like shook. Yeah, and he didn't call a trainer or obviously stop the match. But then Shelton was able to take it out in straight sets. And this is a matchup that I'm going to be watching every time it happens in every tournament because these two guys are always trying to make something happen in a rally. Both are getting up to the net, They're not just grinding it out from the baseline and it's sotting. Yeah, some of the forehands these two are hitting, these two Shelton Fonseka and Arthur Fees just if you see it going to their forehand side, and it looks like a bit of a sitter. They're never just going to be conservative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just full on rip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's awesome to watch.
Speaker 2: Why can I ask you a tennis question? Why are we doing?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not, Okay, what do you think we're here to do? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, it was just like we move on.
Speaker 1: That's a good question about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to know what the event.
Speaker 3: If you're a tennis player, are you playing in Cincinnati or are you going? Are you going to Canada this week.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati, take the time.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Canada is too long, and the players are complaining about it. It's a twelve day event, right, and so rest up playing in Cincinnati and then you get a week and a half off before the US.
Speaker 3: It seems like a no brainer. I guess if your schedule changes, right, maybe it may and you have to get game time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go to Canada. But I'm like, I'm shocked.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I don't see hows like, I don't know what happens completely for everyone, but I just thought everyone would be in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's a thing. It's in a thousand event. And then when these big guys don't show up, they're like, well, I can get a ton of points, or maybe they're points to depend from last year. But it seems like what we're seeing is a lot of players being like, oh, I'm just going to do Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then now obviously with Sinner and Alcoraz out of Cincinnati, it's kind of the same situation where we're just going to be seeing the It's sounds rough, but the middle tier guys battling it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we only know that middle tier because we know of the top tier existing, but now when the top two are not there, they become the middle.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 3: It's like it at comedy gig if no one sits in the front row, the second row, front road.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm a crowd work here exactly.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is we're looking at the top tier guys right now. Yeah, maybe the best the world has to offer currently.
Speaker 1: Optimistic. Look, I like it.
Speaker 3: It's like when Lizzie's is not here, I'm the second best podcast host.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I said, the quarterfinals in Montreal, it should be happening right now. I believe there's a rain delay for Hoodar and Fees and the other match Darderry Nakashima, And like I said, Dardari is getting a little over or no, not Dardari, but Darderi's obviously a clay court specialist that's having some good form. Nakashima playing fantastic, He's won six out of his last seven matches, I believe. And then the other quarterfall finald's Mensik Shelton. That'll be like two of the biggest serves on tour. So them just bombing serves at each other all match and then Mereda is the other Spanish player who's having a breakout season. But he comes up against lerner TN, who absolutely stomped Tommy Paul R. So sorry in the tournament, but I love lerner Ten. He's awesome, He's great. Yeah, so he's showing a lot of form going into this. Yeah, what will be the US swing when he hits the Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Uh load up on Shelton for the the US Open. Yeah, I feel like there's a movement. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's time for an American if we don't have Fritz. Dude.
Speaker 3: Actually, part of me thinks it'd be awesome if Sinna and Alcrez both missed the US Open.
Speaker 1: Just because it goes well.
Speaker 3: You're just like it'd be it'd be crazy, I mean, and then you're like fair of my win.
Speaker 2: But like, also who knows.
Speaker 1: So you're wishing that swhereof gets like some kind of he gets that parasite that's in the lettuce in America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by now you've probably heard of the diarrhea parasite, the diarrhea parasite.
Speaker 2: Water explosive diarrhea.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I don't want him to get sick. But I just don't want him to win. Yeah, I just feel like it's time for an American to win.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been since Andy Roddick, so, which she very funnily brought up a lot in the movie The Dink. Yeah, he really got his tennis CV in there. Yeah. So let's move on to the Women's Master's one thousand tournament in Tronto. Rebecca had a great comeback this match, though I didn't love it. It was like both players playing badly at the same time, but rather than both players playing well at the.
Speaker 3: Same I like that when that happens. So it's exciting to say, because often I the worst way to lose, or maybe it's the best way to lose.
Speaker 2: I'm not a competitor.
Speaker 3: He is playing like well, but then the other person just having the craziest day out and then you feel like you're not getting enough bang for your buck.
Speaker 1: True, but as a spectator, but oh, of course players playing well at the same time like this was like just ridden with errors and she won against Samsonova, I should say, but to me, the two most on form players in Toronto at the moment, Naomi Osaka and Coco goff uh and I would love to. I think they'll face each other in the semifinals should they win their quarters, because in the quarters right now, it's Videlina is looking like she'll play a third set against Alexandrova, who beats Sabalalnka in the last round, and Shavontek, another under the radar somehow is just absolutely stomping people through this tournament, and she just won her quarterfinal with ease.
Speaker 2: It feels like the middle, if we're going to use the term the middle, I don't know if there is a middle with one, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like it's just it's just a little more depth, and you like, there's great names everywhere, so the drawer is definitely just more exciting when you look through, and then it's like Whoever's kind of kind of coming into form. I feel like Coco's starting to find it, Like, well, that's exciting. If a Rebecca's playing well, it's like, you know, Sabs is kind of not having her greatest run at the moment, but it doesn't really matter because there's still like enough big names to kind of carry the the excitement level to like hinch the interest around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the week before the US Open starts, will do what we're making a tradition here is where you pick a lady that's not in the top two and the one that we all pick.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know why, Center, but you're saying a lady's you pick a lady. All right, Well, you pick a lady, you make it your wife, you have a couple of kids.
Speaker 2: It's called the Australian dream, the ladies. You're doing.
Speaker 1: Spin for Henry Wadsworth longfellow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we pick a lady.
Speaker 1: So we pick a lady and then whoever goes deeper in the tournament, whoever's player goes deeper in the tournament. There you win, and then we get bragging rights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, there has to be something more.
Speaker 1: Well, there might be a dinner, but there's not. We're not making any waders.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be financial or even that.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll go for a dinner and just celebrate friendship and good times.
Speaker 3: Can I say I've never like gotten that excited about bragging rights when I win a bet.
Speaker 2: I'm never like it. Yes, yeah, but if it's like.
Speaker 1: You've never gloated over winning a bet over a friend or something.
Speaker 3: No, but I will gloat if they have to hand me twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well we don't get able here on pod Laver.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no, I'm not saying yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying for any reason, okay, and then a long if you trace it back a long way, maybe you'll find that there's some But.
Speaker 1: It has to be a US themed feed. So we will go out to eat eventually, and I guess we'll go to a barbecue.
Speaker 2: Place McDonald KFC.
Speaker 1: I think a meat maiden in the city.
Speaker 2: Fancy what about okay, what about this hungry Jacks? But we refer to it as burger king.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, the food of royalty.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is royal food.
Speaker 1: So I'm Sablenka is not playing well, and I honestly, even though Rebecca are still in the tournament, I think since the Australian Open and Indian Wells, where they were both in the finals of each, they've been so inconsistent and Sablenka has looked kind of sluggish. If she gets into a three set battle, she's losing. She's just not edging that out and she's I don't know if it's a mental thing. But she's just not her dominant self. She will be in some matches.
Speaker 3: But then so I think, firstly, I think there's a few things going on. I think she cops a bit too much heat online. I think people are like, oh, she's not dedicated or whatever.
Speaker 1: She is chronically online.
Speaker 2: She loves being online.
Speaker 3: But also like, you know, whatever she thought when she was like winning slams, she was online anyway. So like, I don't know if you can without getting without every Sunday night getting her little screen time notification app.
Speaker 2: It's hard to know exactly if that is the problem.
Speaker 1: But what's your ask, maw, what did she get hours?
Speaker 2: How she must be like a lesson double digits for sure.
Speaker 1: One who's a world class athlete training and practicing eleven hours a day.
Speaker 3: Well, to me, it just seems like when she's not on the court, she would be on her phone, right, because when she came in here, she was on her phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and like.
Speaker 1: We want to make eye contact.
Speaker 2: With me, yeah yeah, yeah. I mean that's fair enough. That's definitely fair enough.
Speaker 3: I think it's regardless of the kind of criticism people do, just go through form slums. It could be mental because she's had some kind of devastating losses at the top level, and maybe her confidence is shook. Maybe it's a coaching thing. Sometimes it looks like she doesn't have a plan. B I feel like if someone gets on top of her and her power game isn't winning, I feel like she kind of looks a bit lost and just gets frustrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and then also the thing that it gives other players optimism and hope to see she's kind of having a rough season. And then they also sent Alexandrova coming into this match. They were like five and five against each other, so she.
Speaker 2: Knows that it's a good record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Sablanca was just not timing the ball right. And I think once you see a player, like I said, not having a good season, you're like, well, I could do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it is so much mental believing in yourself that you can stand there and take it all when you have a moment where it doesn't go your way, where you don't kind of drop your head and go where you believe that you know it's fine. That might be happening to Tabilanca at the moment that maybe she's very low on confidence and or it's you know, she had a great period at the top, not everyone gets. I feel like we've been accustomed to, like people having these like fifteen year careers of sustained brilliance at the top.
Speaker 2: Where it's like historically people get maybe they have.
Speaker 3: Three years where they dominate the sport and that's what you get as a world number one. That's it's like, you know, and you might win at you know, one handful of Grand Slamds and that's an incredible career.
Speaker 2: Potentially that's happening to her.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a big Maybe that's an early call, but it could be happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I could see where you're coming from. And I also think that she is maybe exhausted by the season at this point, Like you start to get towards the US and then it's like I've been playing non stop now for seven eight months. Yeah right, and so maybe there's a bit of like just battle fatigue in there.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: Well that's why they say they're also happy when they get to Australia because they've had a bit of time off. Oh yeah, they do just place so much and your body would be so worn down to sustain it for the year.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, she's definitely, I mean her past seven.
Speaker 3: Tournaments, I don't I think she might have made the Court of warm She's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this current slump could cast her the number one spot in the WTA.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was interesting that because like the sustained results are kind of, you know, not where she needs to be. That's also the crazy thing about Alkaaz is like he literally hasn't played and he's still number two in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. I mean he's got so many points. It's just that huge gap.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Another thing. Oh well, let's actually check in on the live results. Fidelina bageled Alexandrova in the second set, pushing it to a third. And then tomorrow we will see golf play Belinda Benchice and a match I'm super excited for Osaka Rebeccna. So that's the rest of the quarterfinals there in Toronto. I wanted to say one thing about Belinda Bencic is she knocked out Alexandra Iala, ending her run of winning in DC and then getting you know, to this deep into another one thousand events.
Speaker 3: And a big shout out on every tennis podcast I think, yeah, the talk of the tennis world.
Speaker 1: Well what do you think of this? So uh Yallo played McNally in a previous amazing match, Like both just push to their limits, are hugely exhausted. Afterwards, McNally got ten thousand Instagram followers.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. If they're playing it, that's crazy. It's all worth it.
Speaker 3: Ten k in one game. In one game, yeah, I mean that's a win. There's no other way to look at it except the win.
Speaker 1: I am right now challenging Iola to a tennis match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would somehow do this.
Speaker 3: Followers probably they'd be like introduced to you and they go, oh, because you'd have to put up a good like a good showing. Yeah, and I don't know what these tennis fans want. You go on the tennis reddit pages, it's like people are vicious, they.
Speaker 2: Pull you down. I never know what they want from people.
Speaker 3: You'd have to really you'd have to lose with some dignity, but also show a bit of flareeah and and maybe be funny as well.
Speaker 1: You have to be funny. But also because it's gender, it seems weird and chauvinistic and you know what I mean, Like I'd still get my ass. Hand it to me.
Speaker 3: But it was just I think you wouldn't get followers, because ultimately, what tennis fans want, both genders, by the way, they want someone that's cute.
Speaker 1: Are you saying I'm not cute?
Speaker 2: Well no I don't. You're a bit.
Speaker 3: You're a bit grizzled and gruffled. The only app on your phone is the comforts app.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, that's what a tennis fan wants. They want them to win, but they want them to be cute and lovable, and they want to seem like a good person.
Speaker 2: That's what they want.
Speaker 3: And you sometimes you it's almost like you want. Yeah, you're a bit blunt, you're a bit jockey, and sometimes I feel like you want people not to like you.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize this was going to be an emotionally devastating.
Speaker 2: But this is why I'm saying, I don't think. I just don't think you'd gain the followers you hope you will.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on. Um. Yeah, So we'll be back next week when we to talk about what the eventual results are in Canada. My prediction is I'm gonna say Osaka in Toronto and I'm going to say Hodhar in Montreal, Samuel Tuttan your predictions from here for the Canadian Open tennis tournaments. Let's go with the men's in Montreal.
Speaker 3: First, Okay, I like, well, because I'm half Spanish, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I just spent three weeks there. Yes, so I'm gonna go Hodur.
Speaker 3: And then I feel like with on the women's side for the US Open, I picked for Baccenham, so I feel like I will continue with that. Okay, yeah, because if she wins, Yeah, she's got Osaka in the quarter that's the confidence she needs to then make a big run of the US Open.
Speaker 1: Coco and the Semis and then maybe sid Alina in the finals.
Speaker 2: I mean that's taken names.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right there. But I feel like that's a that's not a bad I mean, what am I going to win? Bragging rights?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just your tennis brain has been fully formed.
Speaker 2: No, I just feel like I want to win these bragging rights.
Speaker 1: That you said that fantastic, even though you picked Hodar who I said before you said that, But sure.
Speaker 2: I mean he's exciting, he is exciting to watch.
Speaker 1: Yes he is, and like him and Fees, it's going to be an awesome match. But should we get into your segment?
Speaker 2: This is where I really come to play.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, approaching the net otherwise no natura.
Speaker 2: Do I put my hat on? Okay? Now this really took my liking. Nick Curios.
Speaker 3: He has the energy of a man that could you never know where he's going to pop up, and these two ladies.
Speaker 1: Well you can pick where he's going to pop up. A club.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, okay, it's pretty predictable, right Twitch. Yeah, he's going to be on Twitch a club and maybe like a sports car dealership.
Speaker 2: That's his kind of energy. Weirdly, not out of tennis court.
Speaker 3: Well, these two women were in like a fancy restaurant, I guess, and they were trying to do cute girl Instagram things. And look who was in the background. You see in there on the.
Speaker 2: Phone cap backwards by himself, fine self, bottle of sparkling water on the table.
Speaker 1: Looks like a fancy restaurant. The captain trying to act nonchalo but curious is literally.
Speaker 2: They're freaking out. What would you do in that scenario? Would you just go sit with him?
Speaker 1: I go, hey, man, remember when we played ping pong and I beat you and you smashed the paddle over your knee, and like you said, I was probably better than you at every sport.
Speaker 3: You remember that, that's what you would open with, ye, I would say, he Nick, That's what I would open with.
Speaker 1: First. I wouldn't roachable. I think I've seen where people have surreptitiously filmed them on an elevator and he gets angry.
Speaker 2: Nick Curio, it's angry.
Speaker 1: So these women are actually being pretty risque here, because if he saw them doing it, he would not be happy.
Speaker 2: I think he would be like, oh, baby, girls, that kind of energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know exactly, but I think he would treat you differently than disappear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like industry game recognizes the game type thing. You'd sit down and be like, oh, can we do not talk about work?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, we're just trying to get away from Riffin.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. But I think they obviously took the video because they saw him in the background and they're trying to you know, capture.
Speaker 2: Well, they just want to get a thing of Nick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course, we all love Nick, you know, I love it.
Speaker 3: Probably one of the smartest tennis players out there at the moment.
Speaker 2: You know, he's got some interesting opinions.
Speaker 3: Another one tent's atman he has an IQ of one hundred and fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Apparently, I mean impressive. Is that a lot?
Speaker 1: I think it's a lot.
Speaker 2: But what's the matter?
Speaker 1: What is a MENSA? What?
Speaker 2: What does that even mean? Though? If your IQ is that?
Speaker 1: To get into menso.
Speaker 2: IQ was a hypothetical score around one hundred and sixty. What Einstein's was one sixty.
Speaker 1: He never took the test, but popular estimates placing at about one sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what and what?
Speaker 1: To get into MENSA, you need an IQ of one forty plus.
Speaker 2: One plus Okay, what would yours be? Mike?
Speaker 1: I think I'm, you know, not the dumbest guy. I don't think I'm a genius or anything, but probably around MENTA levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're pretty Yeah, you have the smartest guy I probably Well anyway, Terrence is a is a. He's a smart guy, but you know he's a bit I guess kookie for the world of professional sport. You know, he's into his Pokemon and stuff, and you know he's he likes doing magic tricks, which is cool.
Speaker 2: That's all very cool, But I don't.
Speaker 3: Know if you saw this interview on the Tennis channel, but this has got real. Three am. You're at kick Ons, you're in a garage with someone. They start talking to you about the pyramids and other life forms, and you've just kind of got to go yeah, yeah, man, and just like lock in.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: So I've been studying for the past couple of weeks Egyptology, Egypt, what's about pyramids? Because you know, I love quantum physics, right, I love getting to.
Speaker 2: Know a normal tennis Why are we here? Why do you love us?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: Everything?
Speaker 4: But you know, I had my question about the Pyramids is like why you know?
Speaker 2: And how?
Speaker 4: That's a very interesting question because scientifically, it's impossible to prove that the pyramids have been built by the human being.
Speaker 2: Nice, yeah, which is fantastic. I agree.
Speaker 4: So first of all, the pyramids are built in the geographic coordinates, and this geographic coordinates equals of the speed of light.
Speaker 2: So that's the first speed of what.
Speaker 4: So we're talking about a monument that has been built.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask him what he what he thinks when it's break points.
Speaker 4: That the speed of light equals two hundred ninety nine millions seven one hundred and ninety two thousand, four hundred and fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Meter per second. It is a Joe Rogan pod.
Speaker 2: It is a Joe Rogan prographic, the pure geography, pure geographic.
Speaker 1: Novelge And I've seen this has been in my algorithm, not this, but so it's this perfect clip where they're saying all these things.
Speaker 2: Oh so he's just so he's just saying it online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's like I've been studying it for two weeks.
Speaker 2: But he has an IQ of one hundred and fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's more.
Speaker 2: Like he's just got astray white Man's accurately.
Speaker 1: I think people that's smart are obviously still gullible.
Speaker 2: Why is it?
Speaker 4: Why does it has to be like so precise, because nowadays, like today, with the my tools that we have, it's impossible to make it again.
Speaker 2: If you leave all that in errow. Oh I will love it.
Speaker 1: But Okay, he is obviously smart, not only I mean he's regurgitating a YouTube clip or a TikTok clip, right, but he's doing it in a second language. Yeah, he's remembered so many specifics.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: I watched that same video and I just go, I guess Aliens built the pyramids.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, they're like they're kind of like formed, they're like the speed of light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the coordinates like similar to where they are.
Speaker 1: It's impressive.
Speaker 2: He's a great I feel like he's he is a great communicator.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of hooked. I just think it's funny that people are drinking apparol. Sprits is in the background on a lawn at a tennis tournament.
Speaker 1: And it's gone fur Rogan.
Speaker 3: He's the one that you wouldn't want to like when you change ends, get the note from like his would just like destroy you probably.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, we're in the matrix.
Speaker 3: Yes, none of this is real. We're just Adams floating around locked onto a rock. It would be like, Jesus, you were nothing, you were dust, you were nothing before this, You'll you'll be nothing after this.
Speaker 1: Just a self war sec of protoplasm.
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh no ah, Well what else you got now?
Speaker 3: This has kind of struck fear into my hard and kind of maybe reminiscent of either my childhood or maybe when you get up to something wrong. Ben Shelton was in his hotel and his partner at Trinity knocked on the door and was like surprised, she didn't know who was coming. And then he shut the door in her face immediately and looked, I can only give it a look of like absolutely suspect. Look at this.
Speaker 1: Okay, Shelton slams the door in her face.
Speaker 2: Please opens it back up. Can't believe it.
Speaker 3: I mean it's had the face of a man that quickly just said, hey, you've got to jump out the window.
Speaker 1: I mean I counted. So she knocks on his hotel room door to surprise him. He opens it up. Yeah, registers it's her, shuts the door. Yeah, there's a good six seconds before he opens the door.
Speaker 3: Do you think he ran into the living room of the hotel, the main room, and was like you gotta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hid in the cupboard. Yeah she's here. I didn't know she was coming here.
Speaker 1: First of all, living room of the hotel. What kind of hotels are you staying?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm saying we're talking about an international tennis player here. I know, I think he's got a living room, do you well? I think it's like a sweet he'd be in. I don't think he's staying where we stay at the like Iver's budget needs Tullomarine Airport.
Speaker 2: I think he's got a living room of the hotel.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, it's that fairst six seconds. I think they're an awesome couple. She cheering them on, he's going to she plays soccer, he's going to all her matches, cheering her on. They rule. I don't think it's anything as Dodgy is kicking another woman.
Speaker 2: Out, But that was where my brain went.
Speaker 1: To, think it's a tissue cleanup.
Speaker 2: Oh you think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, six do you have six seconds? Is that enough time to run to your laptop and then and just like clearly yeah, clear the history, minimize the search engine.
Speaker 2: But they do look like a fun couple.
Speaker 1: They're awesome, man. I don't know if you saw her during the DC Open cheering him on. Uh, it just it's couldn't be further apart from Morgan Riddle watching Taylor for its play where she's just scrolling her phone and just posting whatever, and then like she is just involved in watching. Yeah, and it just totally and it's awesome to see.
Speaker 2: That's actually beautiful.
Speaker 3: But that's what happens with the sportsman. It's like, are you across the Australian sports power couple Nathan Cleary and Mary Fowler.
Speaker 1: I'm not I don't think I've even heard those man.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, we'll move on.
Speaker 3: She's like the two most famous Australian sports fans dating together. Mary Fowler is like the second best player on the Matilda's okay, and then she's dating Nathan Cleary, who's like, yeah, he's like the new South I was half back.
Speaker 2: He's like one of the best players in the NRL.
Speaker 3: Right, and they date. Oh yeah, that's all I wanted to mention. Okay, now I've got something else for you. I never say her name right here. Costing you Costure.
Speaker 2: Cost Juke, like that Chuck Marta cost Juke. Yeah that's fine, I reckon, that's right, cost Chuk Costure. Okay, that sounded kind of like an one of those African cost Chuck.
Speaker 1: I met del roch.
Speaker 3: Marta cost Chuk. She got a little note and she's posted it to Instagram. A chock quite like a small child handed her this eight years old and the note says this was.
Speaker 1: The ball kid that walked onto court with her.
Speaker 2: I think so, yes, right, Marda and.
Speaker 1: The ball kid and the ball kids absolutely.
Speaker 3: Terrified, terrified, he's biting his nails. You would be absolutely crapping it.
Speaker 1: Man. I have to say I acted very similarly when Marta was in our studio.
Speaker 2: You were biding your nails.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was just like, I mean, that's very sweet, very sweet. Vision. Well, so that kid has then handed her a note. He wrote a note.
Speaker 3: It's been a real episode of notes. Oh, it's the note episode. And this is what the message is here. And this is actually quite similar to the one that I think you handed her as well, isn't it? Good luck today. My name is Marcus. I am eight years old. Never give up.
Speaker 2: I will be cheering you on.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I will if we remember, if we get Marta in for an interview for next year's al, I will absolutely hand her a note, but it'll say good luck today. My name is Michael. I am forty five years old. Never give up. I will be cheering you on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think I will do it.
Speaker 3: I think we have to do it. What if she doesn't remember, then she will be so creeped out.
Speaker 2: But can I say.
Speaker 3: I would like you not to do it in the studio and I'll film you, like when she's like walking up to the tunnel. We'll go down there and you just I just want her to think you're a random person and handed her so then she gets a random note that says high on Michael, I'm forty five years old.
Speaker 2: Never give up. I will be cheering for you.
Speaker 1: So you want me to chase always down the player's tunnel?
Speaker 2: Ideally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe if you wait for her at the car pickup bit, you know that bit, and then just be like, hey, I've been here for two days waiting.
Speaker 1: Oh so on the vans that they drive the players around and I'm hiding in the back.
Speaker 2: I think you could be in the van.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'll also never give up for Dora on the notes under.
Speaker 3: The door and note okay that you have to do it. Okay, I'm happy for you to do it in the studio. Yes, but you're wearing the fedora when she enters, and then halfway through, at any point during the interview, you can take the fedora offer and say note malady and handed to it. I think that's fun. I think that's good content. Good luck, Mike, sheot you shot.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll get Lizzie to do it, just so it's not any creepy kind.
Speaker 3: Of No, it's actually just not that Funnyflizzy does it. Yeah, I think it's fun. If you do it in the for door, it's clearly a joke. It's clearly good fun. You want to do the note word for word. I would love to just make a few little edits.
Speaker 1: No, it's got to look the same. It's got to be in crayon.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be What if you're dressed the same as that boy?
Speaker 2: And that was Grand same, Grand.
Speaker 3: Sam, Grand Sam.
Speaker 2: And I'll be back next week with another Grand Sam.
Speaker 1: You will be back next week. We'll be back to wrap up what ended up happening in the Canadian Open in Toronto and Montreal, and then we'll get into all things Cincinnati, and then Cincinnati, whatever happens online in the meantime.
Speaker 3: And whatever happens online. I don't know which is Maybe there'll be more tennis news, is what you're supposed to say. With everything going on in the world of tennis.
Speaker 1: Maybe Pat Rafter will be sitting in a restaurant and someone will take a video.
Speaker 4: How do they make it and the build it in twenty years, which is statistically impossible?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Which way?
Speaker 4: Do you think you think about a lot of mysteries around this. I've never said that aliens built it. I just said that it's impossible to prove that human built it. Talked about aliens in one of his interview or something, and I was like, you know what, maybe we can make like a podcast at three and we start to talk about things.
Speaker 2: Right, this is not a bad idea, amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm only when he comes in, we should actually ask if we can get more time with him to a podcast. But then like also have like stuff ready to go. We've got pyramids, we've got flat flat Earth.
Speaker 1: Would be good moon landing.
Speaker 2: I think if you go extra terrestrial stuff. There's this great theory going around about like when aliens make contact with us, they're just going to be time traveling like half robot humans that have like evolved and they're like cyborgs, and.
Speaker 3: Then they're traveling back to see us. Do you think he'll get around that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were already.
Speaker 1: Interested in that. I mean it's fascinating. I mean, who knows, why wouldn't they're studying us?
Speaker 3: But they were us, So they're often coming back to get like to do data on biological stuff to be like what happened, what changed, and so you know when people.
Speaker 1: See so they do that by putting things in our ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: All they find out is one in every six guys doesn't.
Speaker 3: Really yeah yeah, yeah exactly, but that's yeah, it's actually more it's three or of six.
Speaker 2: We decide to take it. They do a lot.
Speaker 3: Of the tests, They just like get in your brain and force you to do it. Oh really yeah, and then they can extract the data that way. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah,