Speaker 1: Christian o'connald show, My weekend two like a footy gamer two very distinct halfs Saturday was amazing, saturd Night great at the g see the d's go six and zero. And then there was yesterday. Yesterday felt like and every single mom and dad were teenage children. You'll have had a day like my wife and I yesterday where you actually feel like they got together night before and went, hey, listen, when they wake up, let's just screw with them. Every single minute of the day a constant battle. I felt like I was behind a barricade that hadn't been asked to be behind. I woke up with nice intentions and said to my wife, why we wake the kids up a bit earlier and all go out for breakfast together. Next thing we know, we're having a massive, full scale family argument that we may need to have family therapy together on the beach with the dogs. And I'm Sometimes you're in an argument and you rise above it, or you're thinking are we arguing about? And at one moment I hear my wife yelling at me, Chris, Chris, what do you think? Back me up here? And the kids look at me and they're like looking at me going grow some balls down. They don't know what's the right answer. You just walk into the ocean.
Speaker 2: Just keep going, just keep going, a constant running battle yesterday and then it peaks at four o'clock and this is the song that sums up yesterday.
Speaker 1: Out of nowhere. Both of our daughters, we've conceded with the piercings like pincushions they've got. First thought was ear rings, okay. Then it was like, we want seconds. All of our friends have got seconds, which means two piercings in the years. And then it was the nose piercing, and this we weirdly struggling wife and I. Wife and I were like, this will affet your chances of employment when you're older. You'll be if you go to run a law firm Google Barkley, Mongo, they will take one look at this and t not represent this firm. And they were like, I don't want to work. It is some stuffy old law firm, you know. And then I made the mistake of going, actually, my world, there are loads of it. Were piercings. You don't even think twice about. One's glaring at me like wrong answer, yes, sir. At four o'clock. One of the kids can't name them, cannot name them. One then goes, oh, if I don't sort this nose, pissing out, they're sending me home from school tomorrow. I'm like, what, Yeah, they've got a school rule about you know those piercings cover them up or have like a sea through one. I'm like, well, look, sometimes in life there are just rules. You've got to pick your battles. An hour and a half we had talk about why schools, why the world has rules. Well, you didn't make the rules of school. That's not your fault. But you know who I am in this situation they're projecting me. I am the man. Like I said, I don't want to represent the man. I'm the man. I'm the man, and then she am the man and I'm not really a man. I'm barely a man anatomically. It's the only thing that makes me a man. Something died in me. Yes, so into a bed of sack shell of a man that woke up. They were like, yeah, I get sent home from school. No, no, that is that is not there are there are rules in life. You don't have rules, And I went, I do, Actually, there are rules, even in my job, there are hard rules where you come up against it, and that's the world. There are gonna be sometimes where they don't make any sense for you. But the world, and this is a really horrible thing if you don't understand. But the world isn't actually made for us. We have to try and carve out our own way in it. And sometimes there becomes well you can't carve anymore, and you've got to work out your own bit of independence. You've got to you've got to sort the nose ring out. They don't. They will send you home.
Speaker 3: But they are the protest generation. Like anytime they come up against something they're not happy with, they're like, well, I'll take a stand, I won't go to school.
Speaker 1: Well I said this. I didn't want to crush them, Okay, because actually is really interesting the one everyone wants to have their voice felt, and they should do. I said, why didn't you ask to sit down with the school and just explain your viewpoints out? I respect you have to have rules. Could we just have a conversation, a dialog about.
Speaker 3: Essentially taking the argument we're having now between dad and daughter and take that to the school.
Speaker 2: Well done, Jackie, by your rules not my school.
Speaker 1: I had them to you for a couple of hours. You sort it out. Why am I going to sort this out? Oh? There have been in the morning for me sometimes this show anyway, I remember, did you have any piercings as a kid? I my mate, right, Toby Pierce, my em I got my ear pierce when I was sixteen, and he did it Diy. We did a couple of beers and he got a clothes peg that I put left it on there for about five minutes. Took the clothes peg off, got a safety pin and put it through. Do not do this. I got a severe infection and had to go to hospital. Right, I had to have some injections of blood poison. Another mate of mine he got two frozen sausages either side of his. Isn't it the same thing? Safety pin through it? Did you have any piercings?
Speaker 3: My mom and dad were pretty lenient, but the only thing they do is said no to a piercing. I wanted to get and then thank god I didn't get eyebrow piercing.
Speaker 1: And they said, part of me wish is we could go back in a time machine. I pay your mum and do some money. So that we could just see the phoots of you with a bin in the ice baby and eyebrown piercing. Aren't you relieved sometimes for the nose?
Speaker 2: Christ Christian i'connell The Christian o'connalds Show podcast