Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Patsy, please tell me what about the walk you went on yesterday in the Magpies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Kate producer Caitlin and I she's motivated me. She said, come on, we're going to go for a walk once a week to start with. So we went for a beautiful walk around the MCG yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh did you right before we go any further?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: So obviously katelan right is a gym bunny.
Speaker 2: She came in yes, actually she did the show yes, seeing Jim Ware and she was like jogging in and out of the studio.
Speaker 4: She was very active.
Speaker 2: Yes. And then so did you get changed into like leisure where active work?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: I just world what I wought it with.
Speaker 4: Right, So you went, But then Rio said you came back with shopping bags.
Speaker 3: No that was no, that was Caitlin. That wasn't me.
Speaker 4: Oh you're an innocent byside. I was a fitness walk to go shopping.
Speaker 3: No, that was Caitlin's business, not mine. I might have recommended.
Speaker 2: Like like a healthy kind of walk in and out of shops show were you in the shop?
Speaker 5: See you were you in the shop?
Speaker 3: Yes, but after the walk, the walk had completed, we had done an hour around the mc precinct. Gorgeous day, by the way, beautiful day yesterday, and then we thought, you know what, we'll grab a coffee on the way back, and you know what.
Speaker 4: Why don't we go grab some shopping shops.
Speaker 3: And there just happened to be a store that took Caitlin's eye on the way back.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so anyway, let's go back to the walk. Then what happened?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I was waiting for Caitlin out the front of the building here and it's magpie season already, it's not spring, and they pie swooped me. It was that, you know, it's like, oh you look around.
Speaker 4: They're huge.
Speaker 3: It was massive. This seems like a terry dactyl and it just was like a mirryl It was horrified.
Speaker 4: They're huge.
Speaker 2: There's one that's been sitting on my on the gate post right. It hasn't attacked me, but it just stares at me right, literally has the open the g It's only about a couple of feet whey hasn't gone for me, but.
Speaker 4: It keeps looking at me. They're deeply mysterious animals.
Speaker 5: You guys are both in the superstition. Patty could probably tell you what that means, because it isn't one magpie bad news.
Speaker 3: I don't know, is it.
Speaker 5: I think one?
Speaker 2: Ma.
Speaker 4: I just hope it doesn't mean that the bosses are leaving. They've wiped all. So this is right.
Speaker 2: My mother in law, this is her first Magpie season. She moved here in January. So she's terrified because she doesn't have a can't She's just got this little mobility scooter a right, and people were warning her hates you know, in you here in Melbourne it's Magpie season, you're going to be an old timing like you. She's got a big old booth on a gray hair. She is a very slow moving target, right, So she's terrified.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So my wife said to me, look, can you do some research into this?
Speaker 2: I said, well, you do see those cyclists You've got like those.
Speaker 4: Spikes off them?
Speaker 5: Eraser man?
Speaker 4: Yes? Do they actually work?
Speaker 3: Apparently they do? Yeah, I know, I don't know how they detract them. We used to just wear like an ice cream bucket on our heads.
Speaker 2: Today Hey listen, mother and Laura, okay listen, and that's what wear this ice cream bucket on your head.
Speaker 5: And as a bonus, you get to eat the napolete in ice cream.
Speaker 4: I can't rock out like that. Does anyone know what does actually work to deter these magpies?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Because she actually is really worried that she's going to be swooped upon? Do they swoop on everyone? Someone told me that they have a memory that can last up to five years.
Speaker 5: Yes, so that if she goes in and round the same tree, they'll go there. She is again on that mobility.
Speaker 4: Ye old Jackie and slash scooter on me. Guys, there's kidder. I need magpie advice or mother in law?
Speaker 2: Please well Christian no Connell's show podcast Magpies. My mother in law moved here in January, loved her new life in Melbourne. Has a little mobility scooter. She's in her late seventies. How's he got a car? She's terrified. She's heard all about the Magpie season. All our elderly neighbors are all warning her, you need to do something about this. You're sitting target in a slow moving momidity scooter and she is What can she do about the magpie? Says one that's been sitting on my garden gate. Just staring at me hasn't gone for me yet, Christine. Magpies are very intelligent buds. They remember faces. If you befriend a magpie, you have a friend for their entire life. They live up to thirty years and spend their adult years in just one area, becoming familiar with the faces that belong. I was swooped from behind a few years ago, and I spun around to look at the bird. I swear he backed up with a horrified look on his face.
Speaker 4: To say.
Speaker 1: Horror.
Speaker 2: He flew away, leaving me alone. Befriending me. You can use bribes. They love grat geese.
Speaker 4: You serious, I'm going to go out there today with a little bit greater mind you. Why not?
Speaker 2: I've got nothing else to lose, all right then, So we're looking for your tips and someone about magpies.
Speaker 4: Alan, Good morning, Christian and Jack.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was listening and just listening on a call. You just had that, although you text, you just had that exactly exactly if you if you befriend the bird, like if you feed it. If you've got birds around, magpies around your house, you feed them and everything like that, and they'll they'll recognize you and they will not swoop you.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: And it is also it's only the male makepie that will swoop. The male make pie has got all all white. It's the brightest white you can see. It's the any any any white with grey going through it. Bird is the free mail bird.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Adam, that was really illuminating. Thank you for have a good day, No, thank you, I'm start again. Scott Gorning, good morning.
Speaker 4: I think that was tod.
Speaker 2: We just had to David that roll the show with that incredible intel. Scott, what can you tell us about magpiece?
Speaker 1: I'll help you out there, please, I'll go with my my to that the same couple and always clings to me on the shield.
Speaker 6: So I've come up with you whistle a.
Speaker 1: Tune that'll distract the makepie, yes, and then it'll start looking.
Speaker 6: For the other birds that will be up to attack it. Because magpies are always attacked by other smaller birds, I know. So when you when you whistle a tune as simple as simple, was that loud enough?
Speaker 7: They will look away.
Speaker 1: They'll just go about their business. And I swam like a mood. Put a million bucks on that one.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what Scott.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you in a minute to do that whistle again, and I'm going to record it and then get my mother Lad.
Speaker 4: I'll put it on a loop for an hour for her.
Speaker 2: She can just play it from speakers on her little mobility scooter, can't she.
Speaker 6: That's it million.
Speaker 1: I've given away a million dollar advice because I'm going to paint it.
Speaker 4: Man, all right, so can you just do that whistle? Will be quite here. You do the whistle please, okay?
Speaker 6: Anyway, Yeah, I can't get it right. Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: You gave us.
Speaker 1: We're going to play that.
Speaker 4: That's you, Scott, and it will work.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Scott, Thank you very christ have a good day, thanks mate.
Speaker 4: I were actually trying that. Uh Matt, good morning, Matt day guys.
Speaker 6: My advice and Simms as the first before us. So in twenty fifteen or sixteen, I injured myself and I was at work for five months. So I started feeding to make out the front of my house. So it did a bit of a bird made of alcatrazh and so you started coming in the house. I got really friendly. Eventually they had a baby and it fell out of a tree. And I was was my family. I was able to go and I will Yeah, so I couldn't get away from cats and things and the whistle. Actually I went down to found the parents and whistle day. I'll be back to my heart to find it where the baby was.
Speaker 4: All right, so just what I understand. It's a little bit morefful.
Speaker 6: To hear you. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll sit down and take a breath of for sure. Before we come on the radio, always.
Speaker 4: Say came into the house. He sort, okay, Well where would he go in the house in the kitchen or yeah, if.
Speaker 6: I didn't fear them fast and after they started coming inside, it still happened in now like last week. They came in the house in the hallway, just waiting.
Speaker 4: In the hallway. I'd be terrified.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, But the whistle things really good because then the day you fell out of the train, my family and I went down. I was with you. I just didn't get sweep and I picked it up and we kept up for a few days. Names but Frank and then Frank started coming to get hurt.
Speaker 2: That documentary Netflix about my octopus. Frank Frank the magpie great name for remagpie as well.
Speaker 6: Frank, I caught it, Frank the tank. We didn't know what the deal or for.
Speaker 4: We get too close.
Speaker 6: Uh, what's the biggest thing baby in lockdowns? I turned in and turned around there and I go out one down There was twenty one magi. Yeah, twenty.
Speaker 4: Some the Oh my god, get those kids. Twenty one kids.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we started out to a lot of shoes. Not hard to lock the shows the scarce Matt.
Speaker 5: One day you're going to walk into your house and they're all going to be.
Speaker 6: In your horse. You can.
Speaker 4: They're overrunning you. They're building an army. They're using you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well they're they're family man. They like the mask you. If you're on you're on your side. You're fine.
Speaker 4: Maia, that's great, Matt, thank you very much. You come have a good week.
Speaker 6: No, you are.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 4: Let's disagree.
Speaker 2: People who've seen what magpies can do, they're nervous. It's an emotional thing to talk about what magpies can do. Jack's actually found there's a map that shows real time magpies incidents.
Speaker 5: Yeah. On the Wildlife dot VIC dot gov dot AU website, you can see a live map of Melbourne and people can submit where magpies are swooping them. Here's some tips that we didn't hear on the phones actually that you can use with the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any tips, I'm none the wiser after twenty minutes of radio.
Speaker 4: How is that possible?
Speaker 5: Her eyes on the back of your head. Birds may be less likely to swoop if they think you're watching them. Draw a pair of eyes and attach them to the back of hats so other.
Speaker 2: One looks so fine, I'm going to go around my mother and all today is terrified of being attacked my magpies on a slow movement with discopter ice cream cart and on your head and then fake eyes on the back of her.
Speaker 4: She didn't think I'm spranking her.
Speaker 5: The other one is traveling groups. So if every time she wants to go out on the mobility.
Speaker 4: Steen has got with his church friends.
Speaker 2: She's befriended a load of church people, so they keep They love to they love to hang out together.
Speaker 5: I have to go in gas.
Speaker 2: Flying ves the bikeys the nanchesere, not the command cheese, the nan cheese.
Speaker 5: And it says, whatever tell Jackie this, whatever you do, do not destroy their nests. This may prop them for she st want.
Speaker 4: To go around with a spanner breaking up.
Speaker 5: This will be prolong their swooping behavior.
Speaker 2: Rios is found online and animals that hold grudges. Magpies have been found to hold a specific grudge on people for for five years. It's the worst. It's the use of the word specific that's amazing about that. There's even some evidence that they would hold grudges against their enemies families.
Speaker 4: Your enemy is my enemy.
Speaker 2: Lions have been known to develop a deep mistrust of lazy members of their own pride cows. One study found can maintain a beef. Can maintain a beef for years with heifers who wrong them.
Speaker 5: And third day of Colfax, Yeah, can we make its a Friday.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Question Call Show podcast