Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily podcast, brought to you by Cana.
Speaker 2: It seems as though Meta, Facebook, Instagram want their name to remain in the press.
Speaker 1: Not too long.
Speaker 2: Ago, it was yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yeah, because they had that really wild layoff. Think it was like thirteen thousand employees, just like before Christmas in terrible timing.
Speaker 1: But who has worse timing? Google?
Speaker 2: I think just laid off like eleven thousand employees right into the new year.
Speaker 1: Again again, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: What are we doing?
Speaker 2: A happy Christmas news period? Yeah, but what is job security in twenty twenty three? It's not there. Back to the point though, basically something happened at Meta where the board at Meta is asking Instagram and Facebook to consider taking away the rule that says you can't.
Speaker 1: Show nips off, which.
Speaker 2: Is fantastic, And this is just information at this time of recording. At this point, it's still in limbo. It's a conversation and Meta has sixty days to respond to the board and then we know if we can bear our nips freely. So watch this space. But what I will say, and what I'm getting bored of is.
Speaker 1: Like these.
Speaker 2: Objectively tiny leaps for humankind being just like blown out of proportion because I'm feeling like babes of all the things you let slide on Facebook and Instagram, I've seen some real cook stuff, like stuff that is scarring me to this day.
Speaker 1: You're letting a little nip be the hill you die on.
Speaker 2: It's so boring to me, it's so played out, And it also makes me reconsider, not even reconsider, but it makes me way more cynical about like corporate responsibility because like it's all the things that are really great for pr Like remember when Instagram was like we're taking away likes, your mental health, your layers, in your layers, I can still see them, and I believe that you believe that. You know, I believe that you believe that. But then like just be a corporation with your chest my other gripe and we'll get into it on the podcast is you know. I think that like the conversation about like free the nip not free the nip is just so twenty ten feminism, and like I want to be having more complex conversations or at least like if we're going to put our brains towards making change, let's make it count in a big way, because I promise you, I promise you that there are women who still aren't allowed to vote, still aren't allowed to own homes, still aren't allowed to decide for themselves what their body autonomy is. And then here we're stuck in this redundant conversation about whether or not you can show a nip on Instagram. You don't even want to use Instagram like that. Just yesterday you're like, I'm sick of this ap my mental health, and now today you don't even want to be here.
Speaker 4: All right, So ridden me this, when, if and when Facebook freeze the nip, will you get nips out?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I don't have Like getting my nips out is not a matter of like whether or not Facebook is going to penalize me about it or not. Right, Like, I don't feel that strongly pulled to it either way. In the same way, when Facebook released captions, people who didn't have to monetize themselves on Instagram weren't moved. Of course, people disabled people were like, this is fantastic because we love accessibility, But it was such a small part of the conversation. It was definitely a tool to meet people who sell stuff have an easy time selling stuff, right. How Yeah, So when captions came out, they framed it as accessibility, right, so I thought it was great. However, the captions weren't accessible. They weren't decoding people's language properly. You still had to type to edit them. It wasn't the most advanced formula, come to find out. At the same time Instagram was uploading. So Instagram was introducing all these other things make it easier to shop, easier to shop, easy to add links, easier to add locations, easier to turn your page into a shop. Always to assist you in spending more time on the platform to buy stuff.
Speaker 4: Interesting, So are they doing like the thing.
Speaker 2: Where they and even now captions haven't worked on reels since it launched full stop full stop auto captions, they's never come up.
Speaker 4: Were they doing that like to stract away from the fact that I was making it.
Speaker 2: I think they did it to like prime people for all these changes that were coming. So give people like what could be pitched as a win or pitch to something for the greater community. While you're adding in all these shopping function all these consumption functions, you know, consumption function. It's a good way, Yes, I just think, like the nips conversation is like number one, it's white feminism one oh one, because I promise you it's it's the same like derivative of the pay gap conversation, right, it's the same deributive of the girl boss conversation. It's like presuming that the woman who's most impacted by this is the woman like capital W Like every woman is impacted this in the impacted by this in the same way. And so here's where we'll focus our attention. And it's like in the grand scheme of thing where we talk about like the emancipation of women, we talk about like getting women to a point where they're overcoming their own suffering. Showing your nips on this social media platform that is going to be obsolete in the next five years isn't the win we think it's gonna be. We think it's it's such a distraction technique. It like dilutes the conversation. It makes it so one dimensional, It makes it so like bottom of the barrel, like this is.
Speaker 1: Empowerment and not that it needs to be complex.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that everything needs to be like this really draining conversation, but.
Speaker 1: Then you have to start thinking like who is this full? Like who is this really full?
Speaker 2: When we're talking about autonomy of self, when we're talking about how much you should be able.
Speaker 1: To show or not show, who is this for?
Speaker 2: Because like, at the same time, we have Instagram penalizing people like sex workers who show their bodies freely every single day, penalizing bigger bodies, disabled bodies for just existing And suddenly you're like, let's get the nips out. That'll be like that's gonna be a win for everyone. It's just like so like one dimensional and it's just it's gonna be the thing.
Speaker 1: It's gonna do what Instagram wants it to do.
Speaker 2: As well, Like it's gonna be like this is a win for women, like when they do like the twenty twenty three and if you wrap up.
Speaker 1: Like we did one for women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like I don't know, like are we still not like are we still having these conversations? But I just think like the average person has even less of a grasp on why we're having these conversations. Like we know these conversations are happening, but if you go and ask an average person on the street, why is it important that nipples aren't censored.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're gonna link it back to where it needs.
Speaker 3: To be linked to.
Speaker 2: I see, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, I don't think it's clicking. I don't think that they're going to feel represented by that decision either.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I would.
Speaker 2: You know, it's okay, cool, it's another cool feature like Instagram quiet mode that came out the other day, like an out of office sphere DMS or something.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, cool, I'm gonna do that right now. That's the real wind for women from no never. Oh yeah, that's a cool way to think of it. I just like, I'm so tapped out of nipple conversation.
Speaker 1: That's exactly. It doesn't affect me.
Speaker 4: I don't anyone to see my nipples tapped out.
Speaker 2: And if we're gonna spend all this time, money and energy having conversations, and if you know, you end up having the luxury of reaching that many people and being able to like instill something of value. It's not whether or not you can show a nipple on Instagram. You'll live, I promise you you'll. We need to see a peace, We need to see the peace nipple with the hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: If you know what I mean, I apologize.
Speaker 2: And if you're a bad bitch, you nipples already on Instagram anyway, tax you're you're not scared of authority.
Speaker 1: You're not scared of a little a little algorithm. You're not scared of a shadow band.
Speaker 4: Unipples will be out, So mark one word to say to you, eat my ass.
Speaker 1: Flex and frames, flex and fremes, never miss a beat.
Speaker 2: We are going to be giving a call to the winner. Oh not the winner, There's been more than one. But we have a live show with Specs Savor. It's called Always Sonny. And as part of that, we have five hundred no that's a lie, one hundred VIPs who are going to be coming and we're going to call a couple of them because we do have favorites. And these are name Will they pick up the phone?
Speaker 1: Who knows? But let's ring them and see this.
Speaker 4: Sheik's name is Beatrice, which reminds me of those little.
Speaker 3: Shry to a voice, Hello Beatrice, seeking.
Speaker 4: Hello Beatrice, it's flexing froomes Hi.
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh good?
Speaker 4: Thank you look beautiful voice New Zealander.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am from is pretending like we didn't just get this into this intel. Literally three seconds before we picked up the phone to call you. Also, fan was like, should I do a little voice? I was expecting some improv It didn't happen. We're excited to be speaking to you. By the way, I do want to say I appreciate the way you picked up the phone because we've had a few people who've done that. Hey, which, as we name, you've got to grow out of it.
Speaker 4: You can't say your name in case it's the irs?
Speaker 1: The irs? Are we on the run? Anyway?
Speaker 2: I always em and we do digress. You have one VIP tickets to the Flex and Rooms Always Sunny Live Show recording courtesy of Specsavors all in favor sake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh my gosh, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be so hot and sexy to see you. We did hear that you broke every bone in your ankle, which is completely unsexy, and it's postponed your London move for how many months?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I'm not going anymore. I did it the day of my flight.
Speaker 1: How did you do it?
Speaker 3: I slept on a wik parking line wearing ad boot.
Speaker 1: Is that like, are we talking like, ohh and s your little little kickback for that? Was it? Was it your fault?
Speaker 3: No, there was nothing. I just had to mess my flight. Three months of treble dam is learned to walk again. Yeah, not cute.
Speaker 4: I'm speechless literally, So wait, how do they how do they redo the bones if they're all smashed up?
Speaker 3: I have a surgery to wait weeks? Was it just broken? Lying in hospital until the swelling me down? And then I had like a three and a half hour strow dre and I think I've got like thirteen screws.
Speaker 2: There be great when bad things happen to good people, because there is no reason for this. You could have gone your whole life without experiencing this, and they happened. I don't know if a fellow control freak, but I would die.
Speaker 3: I'm in the biggest control freak, so I did. I was literally like on my desput in hospital, like I can't believe it. You pay consuming Yeah, you can cancel trust as well, because I've got CON twenty twenties.
Speaker 4: At COVID Beatrice. Well, this is a start of your good luck. You're going to come to the island.
Speaker 2: I know I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have been able to do this if that didn't happen. So here you go.
Speaker 4: That is the spirit, Beatrice. Okay, well we will see you on fad third.
Speaker 3: Okay, yay, thank you so much. I can't wait that pleasure.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't know who I would need to fight feel better about that. I don't know who would need to suffer so I would feel good about missing a planned relocation two times over two years.
Speaker 1: It's not good enough.
Speaker 4: Let's just say it was meant to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so it isn't.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Beatrice, but yeah, can't wait to see you. Flex and frooms they're the best. What did you FLEXI? Last week a friend of mine came up from Melbourne to see me. It's such a treat when someone comes into state to hang out with you.
Speaker 1: That's bold, isn't it.
Speaker 4: And he brought you trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sweet.
Speaker 4: I like that a school friend. Also, I take a lot of pride in the fact that I'm still friends with all my friends from school.
Speaker 2: Same not all of them, Like, there are a few drags one dent, yeah, but the top top five definitely.
Speaker 4: It's a real pleasure in a trait. So she came up and saw me. We went surfing, we went to the Imperial, We had big nights, we had big mornings, did it all. But on a Sunday, I'm driving it to the airport, which I thought was really nice. That's very sweet of you, so sweet that was in the middle of a nap.
Speaker 2: I don't wish you to try to be those friends generally the airport pick up and drop off friends.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, if I'm involved in the trip, I'll drop you. But if you're just randomly like going to America, I'm probably not going to get up at four to drive you. That's fair anyway, Going along the highway to the airport, and I am in the middle lane, No, I'm in the far left lane. I'm like, I want to get in to the middle lane.
Speaker 1: So I go.
Speaker 4: There's probably a car like fifty minutes like heaps far away, but I can feel them coming up real fast. But I indicate wait my time and go in. What do they do? Ram up my ass? They're ming right up my ass. Mercedes as well, which I'm gonna say, the more luxury the vehicle, the more Karen the conspirator Okay, find the wheel and this car comes rooting and booting right up my ass and I slow down.
Speaker 1: Threw me how dare you?
Speaker 4: Like? I indicated I've got somewhere to go as well? Then they zip around me, They zip around me, and they go up in front of me.
Speaker 1: Did you look at them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did they look at you?
Speaker 4: Fo?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've been doing this thing laily where if someone rams up my bum or like spins around me or does some sort of I would say illegal in a legal manner of drive, I literally crank my neck behind my seat and I follow them with the where roiling up. Well, every time I do it, it like makes me reconsider my current like.
Speaker 1: Values. My current values are no road rage. Yeah, and like you're very road rage.
Speaker 4: I know I'm not, huh I actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly feel like what happens in your car is a very individual experience, and if someone on the outside of your car threatens to disrupt that, it's a you problem, Like You've got to really temper that beast.
Speaker 4: Well, it really hurt my feelings. I felt like I just like to protect myself and not feel bullied on the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Karen is coming out she said, bullied on the road.
Speaker 1: It was a one time of fence and you saw them coming.
Speaker 4: I did see them.
Speaker 2: I would say you were trying to antagonize them, so you had fair grounds to be Karen in your mind.
Speaker 4: Well, my favorite type of antagonization is, of course, the plausible abilities. I think, Oh, I'm just a little driver and the way around the.
Speaker 1: Roads used to sell Carton. You've done this before.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's like one of my core tenant personalities.
Speaker 2: Your brand says so much about you. Well, thank you for sharing. We can deduce you our in factor. Karen will always be a Karen, But I do think they'll there'll be, you know, errors in your life where you'll evolve in and out of it. Right now is a very peak Karen Era. Yes, I don't think it's a bad thing. I don't think it's a good thing either.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll let myself be the judge.
Speaker 3: Great flex and froomes.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 4: What the frick? Hello, welcome back to the Flex and Froom Show. I want to talk to you FLEXI about Ryan Gosling. Are you a fan? Yes or no?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were saying, but now I'm not a fan, doesn't mean I don't like him fan, You're not dying on the hill of I don't identify as a fan, but I would watch a Ryan Gosling movie. Would I think of him outside of the context of this conversation. Probably not.
Speaker 4: Did you ever watch Some Crazy Shupid Love?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love that.
Speaker 4: I watched it at the Driving Movies on my first day. Oh alas you would have seen. On Sunday he closed down, personally.
Speaker 1: Close, shut it down. Ryan Gosling shut down the Harbor.
Speaker 4: Bridge, the Sydney Harbor Bridge. He was filming his new movie, The Fallout Guy, the Full Guy. Whatever he did, he closed down the whole bridge in the morning on a Sunday. Everyone was thinking, whire's the bridge shut? What's going on? It's because Ryan Gosling and his stunt double was doing something on the Harbor Bridge.
Speaker 1: I thought he did his own stunts.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Maybe for the really big bridge based ones there's someone else. But it's had people divided. Some people are thinking this is great for the economy. We're going to see like the Harbor Bridge and the movie blah blah blah. Other people are thinking goddamn, why would you inconvenience?
Speaker 3: It's me?
Speaker 4: And most importantly, why is a woman called Deanna Violet Coco thirty one sent to prison for eight months after she blocked a lane in April with her climate protest? Do you remember this? Oh yeah, yeah, so in April last year, this cheek Violet, like I don't know how she stopped it. Maybe she like just stopped her car and got on the roof and like did a Facebook live or whatever. Behavior, hotty behavior. I personally loved it, and I actually think of her like once a week, really randomly, because it's so unjust that she went to jail and she was fined and it's just crazy. Is it irony?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or like double.
Speaker 4: Standards that the government is allowing this ap and obviously they're gonna make a lot of money from it.
Speaker 1: Oh I think it.
Speaker 4: Maybe it costs them money or like they took out.
Speaker 2: For this one.
Speaker 4: I'm scrolling down. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Guys, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But after that copy is like you know, blonde headlings saunters down with.
Speaker 1: His perchetary hair.
Speaker 4: Well, either way, I'll say I'm on Violet's side. I think for all the time. Violet, if you're listening to this from your cell, I support you. Now. She's on bail, she's.
Speaker 1: Out either way.
Speaker 2: You know, we always know that people will make accommodations for entertainment where they wouldn't otherwise. This is just what happens. No one's saying it's fair or just, but it is unfortunately the reality of like the way the world works.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune in Decater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.