Speaker 1: I heard podcasts he more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Laura, I know that you sometimes use chat GPT. What were the last things that you looked up?
Speaker 3: Oh, God, don't put me in the spot.
Speaker 2: Well, I say this because I'm definitely new to it.
Speaker 3: I don't use chat GPT.
Speaker 1: Well, and when I say that, there are some people who use chat GPT as like their entire personality. They write business plans on it, they have workout meal plans, they do their tax through chat.
Speaker 3: Like I use it for questions, I could probably just use the normal Internet.
Speaker 2: I think that I didn't really understand how like thorough it was because I've sort of not got the hype. It's one of those things I listen to people talking about. But I sporadically would put some questions in. But I didn't realize that in just seconds it could do like all of your work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm definitely not using it. Well.
Speaker 1: My last search was chemtrails myths debunked?
Speaker 3: Are they real? I don't know why.
Speaker 1: What was the answer, kem trails There was absolutely no scientific evidence that they exist. We are not being poisoned by the government. Everyone in case you thought we were somebody. I should have looked this up.
Speaker 2: Someone recently commented on one of my photos on Instagram, I went trails. Yeah, I was in Italy and it had been like sporadically raining and there was a cloud in the photo and someone wrote, it's raining from the chemtrails. I could see them in the back of your photo and I was like, what, Well.
Speaker 3: Now you don't have to Google. I have chat GPT.
Speaker 1: That also, I was looking up things like normal weight gained for twenty one weeks pregnant.
Speaker 3: So look, I mean, how big is my baby?
Speaker 1: I certainly don't need to be using chat GPT.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm killing the environment, as it would see.
Speaker 2: I did spend last night on chat GPT looking up new business names, not for us, Laura, but just for myself.
Speaker 3: Anyway. I had some good examples.
Speaker 2: But what I wanted to say is I saw this new study from these researchers at MIT's Media Lab. They have said that they think that chat GPT is reducing our critical thinking skills. Now that doesn't sound like shock horror, but it was really interesting. So they used like an EEG which records brain activity. Yeah, and they split people up into three groups which were using nothing at all, using Google's search engine, and using chat GPT to write essays, so like three groups you could just use your brain, Google or chat GPT. Then they studied their brain activity and they made them do some tests off the back of it, and basically, people that use chat GPT over the coming months had consistently underperformed at neural, linguistic, and behavioral levels. They had the lowest brain engagement, so they're literally watching their brain and just nothing's happening. And on top of that, they then asked them to repeat and try and remember what they had written in the essay, So like even though they've used different search engines, they still had to write the essay. Everyone that used chat GPT had the lowest memory level, Like they couldn't even remember what they were writing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know that there's been a research studied on this, but I feel like that that's pretty evident because if you're going to write it from scratch, you've got to have done the research.
Speaker 3: You've got to interpret it, you've got to spit.
Speaker 1: It out, like you have to actually be able to comprehend what it is that you have read. Whereas like the reason why people are getting into so much trouble for using chat GPT in their workplace and everywhere else is because you're basically just outsourcing your own thinking or critical thinking or work use and just removing the long dash that everyone knows and now we all know now that that's like the indicator of chat GPT.
Speaker 2: Well, there used to be a bit of an argument I shouldn't they used to be there still is. There was an argument that people were saying, well, it doesn't necessarily make you dumber. It just gives you freeze up more time to do other things, which in a way it does. But if it's only free and you are up more time to do other things and in the other time you're still using chat chept to do the other things, well.
Speaker 3: Then we are getting dumber.
Speaker 2: So they're actually they're genuinely now worried about our next generation.
Speaker 1: I think personally, and I know, like we joke about what I've been searching and stuff. I think I was quite a late adopter to it, and I don't use it in the way that people who are very good and like critical at creating. I think because you can give it like different personas and whatnot set up libraries and all that sort of stuff. We all know that person in either our friendship group or maybe you've met him at a party and I'm saying him because it's often a but sometimes you know it shouldn't gender it.
Speaker 3: But there are.
Speaker 1: People we're talking about because I have met them over and over again. There are people whose chat GPT is now their entire personality.
Speaker 3: They do everything.
Speaker 1: Every email they write has spat out through chat GPT, every single meal plan they use chat GPT as their therapist. Like it does make me wonder, not only in terms of like essays and schoolwork and everything else, but are some people leaning on it too heavily that they're outsourcing so much of their personality to what is essentially just a computer.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: But what's the next generation going to be? Can we not string a sentence together? Can we not write?
Speaker 1: But we're really good at writing, just they won't be able to do it without being prompted