Speaker 1: Now, I don't know if you have seen this, but this is an article that tickled my fancy. It's going viral online at the moment and it is causing a lot of controversy, but I can't understand why. So there is an Ozzy self proclaimed wellness influencer. Her name is Shannon Michayla, and she has posted a how to guide about moving countries and giving birth in another country so that you can get dual citizenship for your child. Now, before I get your opinion, Laura, just have a listen to what she has to say.
Speaker 2: So from Australia to Coastriaca to give birth and get our child an extra passport. They're around thirty countries currently across the globe that offer birthright citizenship, which means that when you give birth in these countries, your child becomes a citizen there and you as the parents that granted permanent residency with a.
Speaker 3: Pathway to citizenship.
Speaker 2: The most common way to get permanent residency status in another country is typically through investment programs, which can cost upwards of one hundred thousand dollars per applicant, or you can choose to give birth there and immigrate for just a fraction of the cost.
Speaker 1: Oh come on, now, she's she's been semi slammed online by people. People are calling it like new age colonialism, an anchor quote. This is essentially anchor baby instructions for rich people? What is this? Immigration influencer? Like this is? This is so silly? I'm what is the problem, Laura? Okay? My problem?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have an overarchingly do whatever you want to, but being an influencer and trying to do a how too for people to have babies in other countries so that you can get a passport brilliant.
Speaker 1: No, I feel like it seems really negligible. I think negligible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in terms of like why, like I mean negligent, negligent, Sorry, not negligible. Okay, I'm so angry it's negligent. No negligent that in that Okay. For one, are people now gonna have babies with the intention that it's going to get them some sort of dual citizenship? Or are you doing this as it's opportunistic?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: A you're only doing it because you're already pregnant that you're then going to flag overseas?
Speaker 1: What's the problem with getting your baby a dual citizenship. Though I mean, I think it seems privileged. I think it's fine. I do not see a problem with it. And the reason I say that is it is probably something i'd do. Of Course, it's privilege. I think you would do.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is You're going to fly to Costa Rica and have a baby over there.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm not saying I'm going to do that. If Ben lived somewhere that I and I had the opportunity to either have a baby there and it gets dull citizenship, or have a baby here my partner Ben, I would have it where the baby is going to have more opportunity. The baby's going to have more opportunity with dual citizenship. Now, the reason I don't think this is a problem is you say it's so privileged. Of course it is, but that's not what the debate is. The debate isn't around privilege or not. And I don't think we throw privilege into every conversation we ever have in society. Yeah, cool, she's privileged, but she's also contributing to their economy. She works over there, She lives and works, but she chose that place so that she could have dual citizenship for her baby. So I think it's fine, she's contributing to society. What's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but she might be contributing, but that's not what she's selling. You're selling online for people to fly into other countries have babies there, and she's giving them the how to guide on how to do it, which I think is abusing the system. And it is privileged and it's not putting what's best for the kid or for a mother's own health and well being during a pregnancy journey. It's just putting down the citizenship is the most important thing out of it.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's crazy. How is it not looking after How is it not putting the kids at health first?
Speaker 3: Because you've I mean, if you've had a child, you know that you go through this like structured system in terms of health care within Australia. Right you have like all of these allocated appointments. You are within the safety net of either being under the Midwiffree program or you're within like you know, a birthing program, and so you have these regular checks with regular doctors so that you have the continuity of care. If you're going to fly to Costa Rica in your third trimester to have a baby. Try and tell me that that's not going to put that baby at any risk at all. I think it is crazy, and I think it is selfish, and I think it's really dangerous to toke this on social media as though it's a plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I disagree. I disagree because I think people are misunderstanding what she's doing. She's not flying in a day before birthing the child and flying home to That's not what this is. All she's trying to do is bring awareness to the fact. And if these countries didn't want you to be able to have this dual citizenship, they wouldn't have it as a law. It would not be an option. But it is an option. Why is it an option because it's okay? Why because more people are going to come over and probably contribute to their economy, which most likely is semi struggling.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, it does say here that it's considered a tax haven to do these things, so I do think it's financially beneficial, and maybe there's some other incentives there rather than what might.
Speaker 1: Be doing God good honor. She's helping people save money and get their kid jewel citizenship Gosh. I feel like we shouldn't be taking advice from influences. You are one