Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reloaded podcast last week. They're right, Welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. I don't like the reality shows that they cut with them and into their life.
Speaker 2: I don't like them at all.
Speaker 1: But I've also got to go behind the scenes with writers. The truth is, when I started writing it, it wasn't had nothing to do with the news and casting agents they know from a casting point of view what they need, and editors because that's what we do as editors where storytellers, not to forget some incredible executive producers who are making some of the best TV in Australia. We thought he'd be too just self aware.
Speaker 3: Well, in fact, exactly the opposite was true and he became the biggest character in the show.
Speaker 1: So thanks for joining me each week and I hope the podcast continues to give you real insight into the magic of television today. On the podcast, I have Juicy Dave from Australian survivors Blood Versus Water, currently on Network ten as a project manager at a construction firm Dave knew he would be very strategic. You can the game of Australian Survivor. He certainly proved that by getting a layer of the land, being flexible and making some tough, ruthless calls that he was a force to be reckoned with. However, he has become the latest castaway to be booted from the competition, and I would say Dave has been left with a bit of a sour taste in his mouth, feeling like he should still be in the competition. Dave was a brilliant player and famously will be remembered for his juicy moves, hence the nickname Juicy Dave. Today we'll talk about his emotions post game, how he felt after his daughter was booted, if he holds a grudge, and what are his thoughts on how the game will end Anyway, I'd like to welcome David Goodchild to TV reload.
Speaker 2: Typically the oldest people always get voted out first. Previously on Australian Survivor, when he.
Speaker 3: Was streaking again crying and talking about stuff, I just went, that is so fakes. Everyone here is here to played to the end and you have to get rid of threats and the mistake.
Speaker 2: I made was naming name. Tonight you spilled the juice and it became there, we don't want to see Juicy Dave again.
Speaker 1: Seventeenth person wrote it out of blood versus water Dave.
Speaker 3: I'm going to wake up the snoozers and rattle the players a bit.
Speaker 1: Hi Dave aka Juicy Dave.
Speaker 2: How are you mate? It's been a tough night.
Speaker 1: It was an emotional end to last night's episode. Was it as emotional to watch back last night? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Last night it sort of brought it all back.
Speaker 3: It was I've given it everything, so it was sort of that to see it all unfold and how it actually came to that point that was that was very interesting?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, of course it was. And I mean, I want to know when you know that you're going to watch something like that on television, which is a surreal experience to live something and then watch something so dramatic playback, who do you watch it with?
Speaker 2: Well, initially it was.
Speaker 3: Just going to be close family, and then then I thought, oh, you know, I bug of this, but no one knew, and I said, oh, why don't we have a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a get together. It's only a few more of these shows.
Speaker 3: So had a bunch of friends over and they were sort of all in it and just put it. They were as blind sided as man.
Speaker 1: Were you watching the TV screen or were you watching them? Because I feel like if it was me, I'd be watching everyone else's reaction.
Speaker 3: Seriously, I was watching the TV because I was just watching. I needed to know who who had done.
Speaker 2: What and said what and that thing. We only get this perspective of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so when you're watching it and when you do viewings and stuff, you actually have to say, now, no talking through the show, because this is the first time we've actually seen the show.
Speaker 2: We only see it from here.
Speaker 3: You're trying to fill in all the blanks and oh, I see what's going on here.
Speaker 1: So is the Christmas list? Is it longer or shorter at this point?
Speaker 2: Like we're all friends at the end of the day, it's only your game.
Speaker 1: But Karaokes, You've got a pretty cool nickname out of this show. You know, like everyone wants to go on Survivor and be remembered for something, and juicy Dave is cool. We kind of know how you got that nickname, but I wondered if there was maybe some inception for that, Like, you know, I feel like there might have been more to that name than maybe what we saw.
Speaker 3: Look it came it was out of that tribal of course, where I gone in there.
Speaker 2: I had I had the idol.
Speaker 3: Amy had told me that she knew I had the idol, and all of a sudden that changed the whole thing because it was going to become a public idol, and the last thing I wanted was a public idol, because that's target number one.
Speaker 2: So I thought, I've got to use this. So how am I going to do it? So?
Speaker 3: I thought, I'm going to wake up the snoozers and rattle the players a bit. So I thought, I'll just throw a few grenades here, there and everywhere and see how we go, and if I need to use it, I'll use it, but get it out there. And Jonathan said, oh what they say? Do you actually think you got some heat on you? And I said, well, it'll be good night for a Juicy Dave blindside and he goes juicy Dave and I said, well, it's got to ring to it.
Speaker 2: I doesn't know.
Speaker 3: He goes, no, no, no, he's not, haven't it?
Speaker 2: But then I started, you know, he's a good interrogator.
Speaker 3: He keeps asking the questions, and the mistake I made was naming names. If I just kept at third party, no problem. But at the moment I mentioned Sam, and of course that was blowing her game up, which is as we saw her game socially. It was epic and she just went, he's got a game. So it bloted me out, played the idol, and it became there, we don't want to see juicy Dave again.
Speaker 2: This is what they were saying. That was chaotic and out of control.
Speaker 1: Were you shocked? As I guess maybe the audience was to have survived the game after your daughter, because Brianna was a super fan of the show so excited to be there, and then you, being her father, is in there forty two days, which is amazing. Is that kind of how you thought it was going to play out?
Speaker 3: I did a bit of study beforehand, not a lot, and I listened to of Hailey's podcast and she said, now, typically the oldest people always get voted out first. That's what they did, and I'm just going, well, hold on a minute. I've just been set up here for the fall. I'm the old guy, and so strategy was never to give my age away. I just went, how am I going to do this? It's Brianna's dream, my nightmare. Then she gets voted out and I've just gone, I'm all in. I've got to take this and run with it as hard as I can. So yeah, I surprised myself.
Speaker 1: Was there anyone that you held a garage with inside the game?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Not now because of Brianna's exit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, No.
Speaker 3: I had it in for Kahan for sure, Like I knew he was instrumental in it.
Speaker 2: I just hence I.
Speaker 3: Brought him along, gave him that idol and sort of set him up for a bit of a fall, which didn't quite work, but it was at least having a crack. And then when he was still there when we did the merge, I just went, I couldn't believe it. Like he was on my target list. He had every time I spoke, I said, we've got to get rid of that idol, and cahn't so.
Speaker 1: And the funny thing is Karn's like one of the most loveliest peace people.
Speaker 2: So now I would go to jury.
Speaker 3: I actually felt really guilty because when he was breaking down, crying and talking about stuff, I just went, that is so fake. This guy is such a fake and when you actually meet him, he is the loveliest guy.
Speaker 1: He's the real deal. I've known him for like maybe ten years, and I just think it's so funny to have watched him on the show, because, yeah, he was great on that. I mean, he's phenomenal on the show, but he's just such a lovely guy. So being put in a situation where he had to blindside or do things to people, you know.
Speaker 3: Look, I thought he was good. He played an epic game, and then he was such a threat. Yeah, and having the idol is, like I said, once it's public, you just become a target. And it was good to see him go and I felt felt great about that, and then you meet him and like you say, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: I was completely blindsided by the elimination last night. I felt like last night Jordi and Mark were going to split the vote fifty to fifty. Is that kind of what you were thinking.
Speaker 3: So I had a feeling in that one that something was we had a plan, and that was exactly what it was going to be.
Speaker 2: Vote on Mark, vote on Jordi.
Speaker 3: Mark either goes or plays his idol tick and then Jordy, and something in me just went something not right here.
Speaker 2: I changed my vote to Jordi because it was the numbers to make it work.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 3: My one regret was I should have said to kJ, no, this doesn't seem right. He's going to play his idol anyway, Let's vote Jordy.
Speaker 2: And that would have that would have been ideal.
Speaker 3: It's one of these regrets in the game because Mark would have played his idol in vain Jordy.
Speaker 2: The blind side would have blindside of Jordy like.
Speaker 3: It was a blindside back, and I would have got in there with the good rapport with kJ and I just needed to bring Chrissy across, and that was my pathway through those those guys.
Speaker 1: I love Chrissy. I'm mildly obsessed with her. I think she needs a restraining order against me on Instagram because what do you.
Speaker 2: See on the show is Chrissy as mad as a hatter. That his just goal and she's tops.
Speaker 1: Well, you read the situation as the remaining castaways thought that you were a bigger threat than some you know, some of the remaining players. But don't you think that you ended up being collateral damage to the sudden scramble for new alliances because of course they all knew that there was bigger threats, but I felt like they all had to now prove their worth to their new sudden alliances.
Speaker 3: No, my thought was his how I thought it went, because honestly, get rid of get rid of Jordie.
Speaker 2: He was such as chaotic.
Speaker 3: If he's got to run on on the challenges, he was going to get himself through, even with Mark having the two idols. The issue was that I was getting into Chrissy's head, and they don't show that on the edit so much because Chrissy and I were pretty tight by this stage and she but she was also tight with Mark being right from the original and Josh and those two could see that I was making inroads because I said to Chrissy, if you want a chance at winning this game, you need to come on with me and kJ because at least you'll.
Speaker 2: Have an argument. One.
Speaker 3: You would have blindsided these guys which had made a massive move, and people will respect that, and that gives you a shot. If you don't do this, they'll just say you're just tagged along with these big heavy hitters and done nothing. I said, here's your opportunity do it, and it was getting into a head. They picked it and they just and that's why it became a threat, and they just kept coming up with my name throwing around left, right and center.
Speaker 1: You were sort of the first person to step outside of that male alliance. Do you think that might have been the beginning of the end.
Speaker 2: It was down to six. We've got rid of those guys, and they went the purgatory and came back. But I was down to six.
Speaker 3: But the reality was I knew it was the bottom of the six and so when you're that end of the stick, you've at some point you've got to make a move.
Speaker 2: But it's all about timing.
Speaker 3: If you do it too early, you are just collateral damage it you're a trader or whatever. At that point, it was like something to break and I had a good Oh, Josh, call me the judist, but.
Speaker 2: I had the excuse that Sam was acting skills one. I won again mensa.
Speaker 3: Sol through Jordan under the bus, which gave us that opportunity, which then switched Josh to be able to vote for Sam. It had some good knock on effects and I think the timing was right. If I didn't make a move. I was literally just going to get wiped out.
Speaker 1: We need a bigger corkboard, is what I say when it comes to plotting how all things fell down, because you're couldn't be like, well, it was actually because of this and day one because of that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, before tribal.
Speaker 3: The only way I could get it into my head, I'd get my phone and I'd smooth out the sand and I'd have a twig and I do little maps of people.
Speaker 2: Now this one goes.
Speaker 3: If I joined this, you know, and you'd go in, go right now, I can in my head this is the options.
Speaker 1: Are you shocked that Jordi has been able to survive as long as he has, Like I felt like he's the cat with nine lives.
Speaker 3: The trouble with Jeordi he did too many deals with too many people, so his credibility was never never You can never trust the guet because he'd come in and do.
Speaker 2: A deal with you and go right out.
Speaker 3: Well we could because there was four of us. We could have actually wiped those guys out or given a good shot. But then he went and does a deal with Josh, and you could tell he was doing this. So he took you and then do another deal, and so unfortunately his credibility went and he was always on the chopping block. I gave him full credit, but just survival underdog fights, you know, those challenges. The way he could come back and survived pain. Not so good on the puzzles, great on the pain threshold.
Speaker 1: You know those Batman references were at fever pitch last night. Was there that many Batman? Joker two Faced references being thrown around every day?
Speaker 3: Mark and Josh and they're like movie fanatics, so they were just quote movies NonStop, you know. Yeah, and Batman was in there, but certainly two Face wasn't charn because just wanted to keep that under that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's two Face, That's that's the name, right, and he calls me juus. It seems like everyone's going to have a moment with Sam that's going to take some time to hear what played in the game, because you know, you've turned up and the tension was just as big as when she faced everyone last week. Do you think everyone's going to have that moment with her?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, this is the thing, Sam, Sam played the game.
Speaker 3: She's never going to win the game because she had bridges, but that was their strategy. Yeah, so she was always going to be the colateral damage. But what she's good at is convincing you. But she did the right thing. And you're part of that plan and we're all great mates. We all want to have that discussion with Sam.
Speaker 1: Who do you think is going to win at this point you've.
Speaker 3: Got you look at the players. I think Chrissy left it too late to make a big move. I think Shay hasn't done any moves with great challenge Josh and Mark and Jordie. I think Jordie's done his dash because he's just so threatening, like chaos.
Speaker 2: He's got to be we've gotten rid of.
Speaker 3: If he can survive, he's got a good shot at it, he's got a great story and people love it.
Speaker 2: And then you've got Josh, and I think Josh played too safe.
Speaker 3: And then when you look at the gameplay, if you're going to take couples, Mark.
Speaker 2: And Sam's gameplay was just exemplar. If you ask me, he's.
Speaker 3: The biggest threat, and look at the size of his one hundred and seventeen kilograms, always threatening, but never came across.
Speaker 1: As a threat until he went to those pieces to camera and continue referencing the fact that he used to kill people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. But in the game, like when.
Speaker 3: He was talking to people a bit lovely early he would lie in the water so it didn't look big and intimidate.
Speaker 2: So very strategic right from day one.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's the crop that lies on the side of the river though you know they lie still and then gotcha, what is something? This is something I ask everybody who joins the podcast. What's something from behind the scenes that we're as an audience might appreciate that we didn't get to see from your time on Australian Survivor.
Speaker 2: Oh good question.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people ask, is that do you end up going to a resort or something and lying down on nice pushy beds. The what you see there is what you what we lie on. It is literally you've got to get that keep that fire going. You've got to lie in the dirt. You've got to do with what you've got there. And the food is what the food is. You know he saw it last I nearly vomited them and I saw the beans getting poured out of woof at a recall because they know as fish and pool rooms and everything like this going, and it was just so much of a sensory overload that, yeah, it was. It was crazy because all you've done is beans and rice for forty two days, a good weight loss program.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, Juicy Dave, you were so great to watch the show. I hope that you've been fed since then, and I really hope you've enjoyed your time on the show because we enjoyed watching it.
Speaker 3: Oh great, Thanks Ben, I appreciate that, and thanks for having us on the show.