Speaker 1: Unapologetically Black would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands where this podcast is being hurt or watched across this great island continent now known as Australia and across the world. We would also like to pay our respects to elders past and present and acknowledged that this always was and always will be Aberaginal Lands.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Unapologetically Black with Ginny Mara and.
Speaker 3: Will welcome you moub to another episode of Unapologetically Black. My name's Ginny and I'm joined by my co hosts Will Murrah.
Speaker 1: What arekay?
Speaker 4: Welcome?
Speaker 5: Welcome, welcome, welcome, No sorry, what's that? No good?
Speaker 3: So I thought maybe we could talk today about our Whose phone is that?
Speaker 4: Is that mine?
Speaker 1: Keep? This?
Speaker 4: Is that my phone? Listen? It's probably enough.
Speaker 2: Well, actually that's really interesting when you have phones on in space relation and B and have you seen it Beyonce concert when she does the singing right and there's the song, everybody on mute and she quiets and people scream, yes they drag it doesn't not.
Speaker 5: You just shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: It's Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Why so she's doing the Renaissance tour right, and it's all she has this song and in one of the parts of the song it says she talks about everyone beyond mute and she stops and the whole audience is meant to stop. So she did it in one country and by her fourth country, the crowd got it. So the rule like there's tiktoks going around now where if you speak like they drag you. So they stop and someone will scream that they shut the fuck up, and.
Speaker 5: It's full on.
Speaker 6: You get out, you get out of It's hilarious and it's but it's like thing, turn your fucking phone off, shut up, like shut up when Beyonce sing and tell thee be quiet.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 5: But Mara, you had a concert recently, weren't you?
Speaker 1: I went to how was it? And you just don't say fifty cents it's going to be fitty and g unit and all of his strippers on this on the stage were next level?
Speaker 5: Can I ask?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: I thought fifty cent hadn't released an album, and god knows hasn't is it?
Speaker 5: Because what was.
Speaker 4: This last lap?
Speaker 1: He sold out two shows in Sydney sold out. I have not seen a pack stadium or two months ago I did for red chili peppers. That was packed, but it was crazy. I was like, really, I was surprised that Fiddy sold out two nights in a row.
Speaker 4: What do you think the average age of people there.
Speaker 1: Were definitely maybe twenty five to forty five.
Speaker 5: I find that because he hasn't released any music.
Speaker 1: But everybody knows lo Shop.
Speaker 4: It's candy shop. Oh my lord, nobody knows Lolli shops.
Speaker 5: The shop.
Speaker 4: That's the Australian version.
Speaker 1: But I was on it roll. I didn't even drink that night.
Speaker 4: Girl.
Speaker 1: So it was Casi's eighteenth birthday, so I saw that.
Speaker 4: I saw the Instagram look.
Speaker 1: She looked like she had a great time. Eighteen flew to Sydney with a best friend, Fitty Cent, thanks to a call in their corporate box.
Speaker 3: You know what I was doing when I was eighteen, I hooked up with my best friend and regretted it.
Speaker 4: Never spoke again.
Speaker 1: Well that's another story for another day, hookups, hook ups. But in terms of concerts, a couple of months ago, Snoop Dogg was here and again we're in the atrip week. I didn't expect strippers because I went to Snoop Dogg back in Brisbane in like the late nineties. I was very toned down. Lots of smoking weed, but very toned down. Our thirteen year old lamechi fly down and sitting with us, and I did.
Speaker 4: Not even think so how to explain that this fallow was.
Speaker 1: Gonna literally experience what life would be at a strip club, but like at an American strip club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wild.
Speaker 5: And everything.
Speaker 1: It was wild. There were so many strip of poles on stage that my son was doing snapchats and he's in front of me, and all he kept doing was like he's he's in his glory and the whole of cooler. All these thirteen year olds were literally as if they are at the Snoop Dogg concert.
Speaker 3: I will say, like moving to the US, I love a strip club, listen to the strip club over any other club any day of the week.
Speaker 2: But I feel like they're different though they like he did this, see you've been a Porky's at Bloody King's Cross like.
Speaker 5: Not show girls, I know, also.
Speaker 4: But also the very white that like it's.
Speaker 3: Not very well I mean yea yeah, whereas in America, well, we've been to Magic City and like the big ones that you the future is like recording the music video on the background amazing and you can sit down.
Speaker 4: There's rooms you know.
Speaker 3: Like they're always playing the best music because you want to, you want to shake your eyes to the best in you can, but it's you can, but that you can also just sit somewhere with.
Speaker 1: In Sydney, I'm talking about King's Cross. If you got up and danced, you would be physically removed. You'd be removed.
Speaker 4: No, And you know what else, chicken wings in the strip.
Speaker 2: Wings actually get food.
Speaker 4: You get food and wings cheesebaws.
Speaker 1: Ever the fuck Okay, that doesn't happen here. I've never been to a strip club where you get food. And for all your listeners out there, I don't go to strip clubs. Just say I used to go right now. That's a part of the old Mara But strip clubs, concerts music, I would say my first time ever. I loved Michael Jackson at the moment they came to Redfern for He's Bad Too. In eighty eight he came to Marouena. If there's any black follows out there listening that they went to Marouena in nineteen eighty eight, you would remember Michael Jackson walking into our kindy on the block not.
Speaker 4: Kindy from that.
Speaker 1: From that moment, I loved, loved Michael Jackson and then end up becoming a really big Janet Jackson fan.
Speaker 5: The block out, heaps of people go there, the food, she's there.
Speaker 1: Lauren Hill, Lauren Hill from Salt Pepper Vanilla, Rice mc hammer.
Speaker 5: Can we on Hill for a second?
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to talk about that. Wow, that was a huge disappointment. Girl, tell us I walked out.
Speaker 5: I heard it was bad.
Speaker 1: It was really bad.
Speaker 5: What do you mean it was bad?
Speaker 2: Do you know when Whinney Houston came back to try to like revolution revive that's word revolutionized, like revive her career and she she sounded like a cat dying blesser.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was almost as bad as that, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you this with sister girl to Auntie Lauren. Now, her show was meant to start, say at like nine o'clock. She was meant to come out at nine pm, all right, at ten o'clock she was nowhere to be seen.
Speaker 4: She's known for that though, isn't she.
Speaker 1: But not only was she now or late, she actually wasn't even in Kudos Bank.
Speaker 5: Arena, wasn't she having dinner.
Speaker 1: When she was out having dinner and she's meant to be on stage, she's out having so she walks in and you're not allowed to talk directly to her at all.
Speaker 5: Who do you talk to?
Speaker 1: Well, you talk to her people, you're not allowed to talk directly to her. And all of these rules that she has, even about the temperature of any room that she's in has to be a certain fahrenheit. Everything's got to be genetically modified GMO free. So she's got you know, she's got standards. But at the same time, people who are you know, fans, supporters, been following her for a long time. Where's the respect?
Speaker 5: Yes, so I kind.
Speaker 1: Of gave her, you know, I gave her the credit. Okay, you've come, you're on stage. The first thing she said was I woke up this morning with no voice and I can't believe I'm even here.
Speaker 5: Woo who.
Speaker 1: So then I thought, so, what's that? Is that an excuse that this is going to be a really bad concert? But within twenty minutes the base was so bad and so loud and deafening that the backup singers were out singing her and we left and usually in a corporate box I don't mind the champagne's flowing. I was even turned off from having a drink.
Speaker 2: That's but but you could have that type of like level of deepness if you're like showing up and performing like I could picture if Mariah Carey. But if she's going to get up there and seeing her ass off and put a shower on, do you want You have those GMO free and you have all those things.
Speaker 5: But if you're rocking up and sound like a half suck mango, then.
Speaker 3: Honey, I've seen Lauren before and she was late again Lauren like we're best friends and first name basis and was late and then was brilliant. So but yeah, if if she had come out and then been terrible, I think so also made me think like how do I make how.
Speaker 1: Do I become more Lauren everything?
Speaker 4: I don't want anyone to look me directly, and I either talk talk.
Speaker 5: To me, talk people, GMO free food.
Speaker 1: She made a couple of million dollars for that night, A couple of million. Wow, we're not that night, but like her astrolting tour. Then I see a week later she's back in the States and raving reviews. That pissed me off. In the US and the US A week later, she has a concert there and raving reviews online and I'm thinking, I'm thinking a week ago, complete opposite.
Speaker 5: Well, so that's you know what.
Speaker 1: I hate to say this, That was my worst concert ever.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, what is your worst concert ever? That was it?
Speaker 5: That was it will worst concert. I've had all really good experiences concerts concent.
Speaker 2: My probably least favorite, because I wasn't a huge fan of was Red Chili Peppers like years ago, and only because I was also up in like the second last row at like the what's the.
Speaker 5: Kudos to you do? Second last rowudos?
Speaker 2: But that was probably my least favorite because I wasn't a huge fan of the Chip Peppers and they're more nostalgic than anything.
Speaker 5: But it was the seating for me.
Speaker 3: My worst concert's got to be iggya Well when she was I think it was. I think it was Lady Gaga was the headliner.
Speaker 5: Oh and she backed up and she was like whatever.
Speaker 1: From Malum Bimby.
Speaker 4: You know her name's Amethyst, and you.
Speaker 1: Know she's meant to be she's black. No, she's not, she says she's aage She's not. She said that she was black from mulum Bimby.
Speaker 5: So what she's a claim Originally she's lying.
Speaker 4: She could be she's lying because I've also she was on that sway in the US. You know he's a d J.
Speaker 1: Does she hooked up with him? Or she's gonna basketball person?
Speaker 4: Nick? Can he cheat it on her? He's a basketball player? But he's not.
Speaker 3: She actually was on a show like a breakfast show, not Charlemagne, not another channel, and he said, why do you guys do aboriginals so badly over there? On you in Australia? You like, called her out and she was like, well actually and made some really stereotypical comments about black food.
Speaker 4: So I don't believe she's black.
Speaker 1: All right, let's google the any of you mob out there if you can.
Speaker 5: Back up this tagger in the podcast.
Speaker 1: Podcast is Eggy Azaria?
Speaker 5: Mob?
Speaker 2: Can I just say disclaimer allegedly right? Anything like allegedly she's claiming it?
Speaker 1: If we say that, you're not aberage.
Speaker 4: Allegedly who is claiming her own.
Speaker 1: Community confirmation of abiginal What what community organization to put that seal.
Speaker 2: Of approval on that common seal they get? All right, so you're iggy I'm Chili Pepper because it's by proxy, right, what's yours, Mara, Right, So what's your favorite?
Speaker 5: Then your best? You've ever been there?
Speaker 1: I got to go back to Janet Jackson, right, But Sultan Pepper, Oh, Mate, Salt and Pepper.
Speaker 4: Oh, they're good every time. Man.
Speaker 1: I could not believe as a kid that my mom and dad actually were able to afford to send eight kids, maybe six at the time because the other two were little.
Speaker 5: But we all went to see them.
Speaker 1: Mom and dad bought his tickets to Janet Jackson, borders, tickets to Salt and Pepper. We got free tickets to all the rest of them.
Speaker 2: Right, So I see some Pepper at good Vibes. It was a festival when they come out and they were sick. The best I've been to. It's gonna sound lame, like really gay man, it's like the world like Beyonce.
Speaker 5: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Think it was my best too, I said, I said, I said to Cole, I said, if she comes to it, not if when she comes to Australia.
Speaker 5: I'm getting the most expensive tickets to get the VIP, like you would pay ten thousand dollars, pay more.
Speaker 1: That's what we'll say I'm obsessed with us.
Speaker 5: So I met her in London because dogs to feed. So I've got dogs to feed. Fuck the dogs they can starve.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, Beyonce, to tell me about beyond say, because.
Speaker 5: Well I met I met her once I was living in London. You met her, didn't meet her?
Speaker 2: So no, hold on, hold on allegedly, so do you know?
Speaker 5: So do you how like you? You're in the same room.
Speaker 2: So I worked for a company which used to give staff to so you know those companies that you go and you pay them and they set you up bank accounts and set you up jobs when you're traveling other countries.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, no, because I haven't done that.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I moved to London when I was twenty one or two, spent three years there. And you do sign up with a company like Kickstarter or Jumpstart or whatever, and bankcounts all the boring ship they get your job. And one of the jobs I got was working in all of the really expensive like classy hotels like Connaught's Carriages and so forth. Anyway, so one night they had big events, so I got to meet the Harry podcast because they're had an event Elton John Madonna, and there was this one event that I didn't meet them in the same room.
Speaker 4: No, I'm done. You cannot hold on, hold.
Speaker 5: On getting to that.
Speaker 2: You're in the same I'm in the same room as Madonna, as Madonna, so we we were the servers.
Speaker 5: So they hired, they hire staff. I'm a waiter. Yeah, I'm a waiter.
Speaker 2: Wait stuff, I'm I'm the staff that I've never met these people, and I've been in the same room room.
Speaker 3: Yes, well you just thought that because you cannot say meat.
Speaker 2: Well go have you fucking been the same room with the Madonna? No, yeah, exactly, so shut up. I've met her, right, So I met Beyonce because I was in the same room. I actually served her Champagne went to give hers some. She said, no, thank you. I smelled her like I was swiffing her. I've been that anyway her hair. No will, but I'm obsessed with us.
Speaker 1: The point is, I love the gay black man. And you had beyond a like right there that you could smell her. Did that turn you on?
Speaker 4: Did it? That's a great question.
Speaker 5: Well, I wasn't fucking like my I wasn't tickling in my pants.
Speaker 2: Butterfly look, I'll be honest, my butthole pucket A couple of times when you're like, your butthole pack is, Min's.
Speaker 1: Never done that.
Speaker 2: Well, you've never looked over a tall building and your buttholes pucket? No, girl, you have, so I haven't, Like, were your butt clean? She's like, no, happened anyway? It happened with me that night.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't like.
Speaker 2: I wasn't getting off on it, like I had a full wine, fucking pennic attack, because.
Speaker 1: I love panicking and getting off on something's two different things.
Speaker 4: Did you get off or did you panic?
Speaker 2: I'm not getting off fucking I'm like, I'm a gay man. What makes you I'm getting off with fucking Beyonce because she's.
Speaker 1: In the room.
Speaker 2: No, I love her, I'm obsessed with her. But I wasn't fucking getting a boner walking around with a bottle of champagne whils.
Speaker 5: I got a woody like it wasn't happening. It wasn't happen.
Speaker 1: I just needed to know if somebody liked Beyonce could turn a gay black.
Speaker 2: Man, well, look not not Well. The the thing is that I'm gonna gave about it.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would love to have a threesome with her and jay Z. Yeah, I would not, but the point was she's my favorite. I love her.
Speaker 2: I would pay. I would literally pay. I would sell my child to get a meet and greet with us.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank god you don't have, but I just want to make it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've loved Beyonce since I've been like Destiny Child's there, like I'm an old school thing, like like thirteen years old. I think I's got her first album. I've seen Kelly Roling at World Pride. She was also fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: Kelly Rowland is like so underrated.
Speaker 5: I think she's as well. She's so good.
Speaker 4: She's secondary.
Speaker 5: Look, she's not beyond well. She's definitely no Michelle either.
Speaker 3: Though michellell what happened to Michelle Still she's like a gospel singer now or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good for her.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after this break.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a family where most afternoons after school we were at a radio station. Yeah, and back in the eighties, I was gonna say seventies. I wasn't even born then. Back in the eighties at Radio Redfern, the only music we were playing was country music?
Speaker 5: Do you know what this is? Can I just say let me just stop you now, because.
Speaker 7: I want to say, yeah, I'm going to say, because this is this is one thing that really fucking fucks me off is country music. So the fucking FM for today is country music because every man who is black in this.
Speaker 5: Loves country music. I can't stand it.
Speaker 1: The Dixie Chicks came to the radio station and I could not believe that I missed it. Slim Dusty, What's what's song to the Dixies? I feel like I remember the Dixie Chick.
Speaker 5: I told you I hate country music.
Speaker 1: My poor dad.
Speaker 3: What's the most listen We're going to get dragged for days for talking about this.
Speaker 4: Is it called slide or something? I don't know Dixie Chicks?
Speaker 1: Google it? I know I know the song here country music. I used to run a membership club for country music lovers. I had three hundred.
Speaker 4: Now that is random.
Speaker 5: No, listen to this?
Speaker 4: How old?
Speaker 2: I used to ruan slide Let's.
Speaker 5: And that's the Rocks.
Speaker 1: That's I know it.
Speaker 5: You're great. I still hate it.
Speaker 4: I still don't like.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a household where country music was like played on every radio in the car, in my dad's room, in the in the land room, in the kitchen, country music NonStop. So I'll be honest with you. After working in a country music radio station for seven years, I couldn't stand country music after it. But fan group, I'm not going to lie when country music stars came to Brisbane and we were into but never did that thing. Whatever you think, but I must say that when they came in, I definitely knew, like you, I want to see someone who's famous.
Speaker 4: Oh have you ever had?
Speaker 1: I mean, what moment have you had?
Speaker 4: I met jar Rule in the city.
Speaker 5: What did you hear about him? How he left and ended up being in a relationship with his cellmate?
Speaker 1: No, apparently it's true, and then.
Speaker 5: He was and now she's married to Nelly. Full circle.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not going to believe this. I I was just ready to tell my Paris Hilton did you meet her? I was like that far away from her and what happened? Took a photo of her?
Speaker 4: Did you know you're taking the.
Speaker 1: She got the peace sign to me and shees, literally you are a piece?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 5: Did you are a dickhead? A full circle with peace?
Speaker 4: Now you are a piece was a scientist. You should have known then you was going to marry Kim.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you get up.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was in high school, kids, I like one of the only black families at the high school I went to. This kid used to say to me, you look like that girl from the Secret.
Speaker 1: Life of.
Speaker 3: Twelve thirteen at the time getting held out with that debor moan.
Speaker 1: That's my auntie.
Speaker 5: You look like that girl from Secret Life of Us because you're black.
Speaker 1: That's all I say in terms of like, no one calls me, just come out boy. You know we're talking, yeah, talking about.
Speaker 5: TV, talk about TV shows.
Speaker 2: If you could pick to be on one TV show, and I've got a point of this, like what would it be? Because I'm obsessed with Survivors, Survivor.
Speaker 1: I used to say to Peace, I'm going to be on Survivor one day. And he never ever said like seriously. Never. It was always kind of like, you know, agreed with me and supported me. Then when I started, you can do it, baby, good for you.
Speaker 5: You can do it. Stop.
Speaker 1: Last year I was the Indigenous advisor for the set of Survivor.
Speaker 5: I remember you saying s yeah when they cast you.
Speaker 1: No, they asked me, if I was going to do.
Speaker 5: It, why do you fucking get me on it?
Speaker 1: I can if you want me.
Speaker 2: I want to go on Survivor, so listen, Survivor, fucking casters. I will be the best survivor because I'm a cunning, shady bitch but also really smart.
Speaker 4: No, trose me.
Speaker 1: No. I love goggle Box.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, let's not talk about that.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit call if I wanted to be on google Box with my family, peace and hell no.
Speaker 2: Do you know I've tested for that, right? We tested, we filmed, we did recording, we got through. The lady said, we're going to go with someone else. She goes, if you want to go to any other TV show, let me know. I was like, Country Survivor.
Speaker 3: Okay, box for you, and well, I'm like to a chance. I don't think you can say Survivor.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be unhunted.
Speaker 4: We want to be naked afraid.
Speaker 1: But that's my shape. I wanted to do Hunted. You got to run, and I was like, I've never been on the run, but I would make a great team. We're going to do it the amazing race that's called hunted.
Speaker 5: What is that? Are you get chased by someone? Yeah? Fuck that that that's a trauma. It's like ancestral trauma right there.
Speaker 1: That reckons to me. How you're going to run to your puffed out.
Speaker 5: So he's been real supporting survivor. I'm deep down I ain't gonna do that. No, what show you jin?
Speaker 4: I would like a reality probably like the Amazing Race?
Speaker 3: Also another one, great nonverbal communications skill?
Speaker 5: You show us some right now? What would you do? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: And what was that telling me I'm confused? Help me which direction?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: Oh? That way? Which in the bathroom? Oh that's funny.
Speaker 4: Anyway, amazing race for me?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: So look, i'd be that bitch trying to get off the r.
Speaker 5: With that bag.
Speaker 4: And I've got no shame.
Speaker 5: No shame.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I want to ask our audience and our listeners whether they listen to country music, because I can't be the only black fellow doesn't.
Speaker 3: Like hunt And okay, you can answer that question. But I've got a better question. If you're going to be on a TV show? What TV show would you be?
Speaker 5: Either one?
Speaker 2: I just want to know I need a bit of support from my community because I feel like I'm the only black.
Speaker 5: Fellows don't like the non non country community. Oh yeah, I ask one.
Speaker 4: More question, follow who doesn't like country music?
Speaker 5: Hooked me up? Link me up. I need to start a group the Mara. You know.
Speaker 2: I had an ald Ship moment also today. I wasn't today, it was last night.
Speaker 5: I was it today. Jin I've been saying fucking soft retel wrong the whole time.
Speaker 4: That's a whole episode in itself. Listen.
Speaker 3: I called Will this morning, and well, Will called me this morning and said, you come here for breakfast.
Speaker 4: I said, yeah, I'll be over them.
Speaker 3: I said, where are you at the soft hoatel and he goes, yeah, the soft ratel, I said, I said, and listen, I'd.
Speaker 4: Heard him say.
Speaker 3: We went to dinner last night as well, and he said soft reatel then and I let it slight. But then this morning I said, Will, I've got to tell you something. He said, what I said, it's soft fer.
Speaker 2: Tell and I still can't fucking says yeah, I'm saying soft fratel.
Speaker 3: I said, there's no fucking r in soft if we don't get them to sponsor this, because this man has been saying soft retell all twenty four hours and it's been stressing me out. And I said, today is soft hotel.
Speaker 5: Well, regardless, I have a fucking speech impediment. Get over it. I can't say asked properly on that note.
Speaker 1: So thank you for inviting us to the soft rate the software tale. It's a beautiful room.
Speaker 5: It is, it's hot. Is that. I just love the back.
Speaker 1: Drop and you just look really good on camera because I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, So that means we look fucking good in that Survivor episode. Cast me now, cast.
Speaker 3: Us all because I could lose fifteen kilos, I will cry be miserable.
Speaker 1: Well, Peace said that I could not possibly live on beans and raws says, we'll try me having weight loss surgery. Oh you wouldn't. I know when my strategy would be on Survivor. Everybody give all of the big marcho muscling men who've got all their freaking you know, testosterone running through their bloody heads. I would give them my food.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: I swear to God. You wouldn't survive three days out there with that strategy.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's a proposal to the surviving tenth of my rice.
Speaker 4: Proposal to the Survivor cast is cast us all and put us on.
Speaker 2: Yeah is the victory.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: It's awkward six second seventh episode now and we ser haven't got a fing outro, but we do.
Speaker 1: Awkward OUTROI do the black magic of an outro until next time. Bye for now. Did you like that?
Speaker 5: That sounds like very much? Giving me? What's that show? The Real Housewives? By now chow chow actually blood skins? Because I can see.
Speaker 4: Now we're done. This episode is over. You can start listening. Switch this off right now.
Speaker 2: I need anymore alright, Bye, thanks for listening to Unapologetically Black, brought to you by Black Cast Unite Our Voices and produced by Clint Curtis