Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today is Friday, which means it is time to get our little team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community. Today we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins with Miss just Griucci. Bexsa Ed is going to be sharing a few hot broke tips. We're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about managing finances as a freelancer and you slid into our DMS about something spicy, So we're going to be unpacking the topic of affording a pet later on. My friends, how have your week's been? Very nice? Nice week, very nice week. Just chill. What have I been doing a life away?
Speaker 5: I'm working my LifeWay basically, yes, and also having a nice time doing it. Stealing lots of bread from the kitchen, stealing some bread, baby, you know it. Many toasties, toasties, fake garlic bread, you know, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 4: What about you, Jess?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, just cuising along. I have a trip to Japan coming up in the future ish, so I've been planning that. Friends have been coming over, which is very exciting, you know, very very very excited.
Speaker 4: So what season you're going in?
Speaker 2: We're going in September, which I think is their autumn. But it's still meant to be quite warm, although potentially rainy, so that's okay. We'll see, hoping for some good weather. Trying to tick off. I get to kick off another Disneyland this year because there's one in Japan.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm so jealous. It's just going about me. Oh my god, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: We can go to California.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to go anymore California. Yeah is that in California?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, plea, can I come? You can come? Be fun group two to Disneyland.
Speaker 4: I like it. I think it's a genius idea. Sold on that. I'm definitely using the work trip as a group troop to Disneyland. Everyone will be like, oh my god, it's so nice you went on holiday together, and I'll like, we definitely weren't here for a conference.
Speaker 2: We are serious business people.
Speaker 4: We are serious business ladies. We've got to like speak it. Jess and DIYer speaking at Fincon this year, which is very very cool. I'm doing two presentations, which should be cool. I've got my own and then I'm on a panel as is Jess, which I think is so fun. Wow, look at you tax deductible Disney grip a loh, that is so good. It's not actually true, but you know what, we're going to pretend. Yeah, we're going to pretend. It makes us feel much better about it because it is technically a work trip.
Speaker 2: How is your week?
Speaker 4: My week was good, My week was busy. I haven't done anything of No, I don't think i've done a few speaking events, I've done a few podcasts. I feel like life is good. I've been working in the background with Gabby on getting my investing masterclass out of the door, which I shouldn't be telling you about because we should do like one of those marketing things where you like, bait it, bait it, bait it check then oh, something exciting is coming, which the team are really good at. So like, if there is a marketing campaign on our Instagram and it's like something exciting is coming, just know I had nothing to do with it it because they start at keeping secrets. Yeah, I'll just be like, it's an investing masterclass. Yeah, that's what we've got, and Jess is like, no, no, no, make them interested, and I'll be like, it's about investing. But I am really excited about that because I've been working on it for literal years. But it didn't feel right to be putting it out into the world, I suppose until I was not an advisor anymore, because there are so many legalities when you are a personal financial advisor of what you can and can't talk about, and I was kind of feeling like I was shooting myself in the foot. I was like, well, there's no point launching it if I can't talk about these things that I think are really really important. So now I can talk about them. Great. Oh I'm going ham. So it's been exciting for me. I know you guys probably could not care less, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 4: Exciting effects like I'm not listening.
Speaker 2: Maybe that'll be the thing that helps you get started investing.
Speaker 4: True, that's very true. I'll do a budget cash flow firstly. We need to do that. Yeah, we'll do that first. Jess Cricci, I want to know what's be going on in our community. What are your community money wins of the week.
Speaker 2: My first win this week comes from Maya, who said future money Wins slash huge life win. After searching for almost a year, our offer for a beautiful house just got accepted and we just exchanged contracts last Tuesday. Between all the useful tips on Shees on the money and property Playbrook help from our friends and family, it feels unreal that we can tick off such a huge milestone.
Speaker 4: That's congratulations, Yay.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy for you, Maya. Next, they have a win from Jessica Fabulous name right name, who said money win, getting a merchant reversal in my favor. For an online retailer thinking they can operate outside of consumer protection laws, always check the window that your bank offers this service for I scraped in with two days to go before this avenue would have been closed.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know that was the thing. That's how cool.
Speaker 2: I'm like noted for next time. If you feel like you're getting scammed or someone's charging you the wrong thing, or they send you something faulty maybe and they won't give you the money back. Yes, smart, do you bank about it?
Speaker 4: Great? Great idea? Love love love What else have you got?
Speaker 2: I've got two Lululemon money wins, one from Julie.
Speaker 4: Whose Lululemon anything to do with the money wint me try, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Julie said, I got the most gorgeous Lulu lemontop at the op shop for five bucks.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is the money win.
Speaker 2: And then a little further down, Maddie said, I bought Lula Lemon Heights in excellent condition from a rent to rack place for eighteen dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, I take my words back. Those are Lulu Lemon money wins. Victoria, I don't want to, but I'm gonna next.
Speaker 2: I've got a money in from Aaron who said I got an incredible stash of goodies from my local health food store, which I go to you often. Today I got all of these for thirty nine dollars, saving one hundred and five. There's a nice little.
Speaker 4: Photo of her hole a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: So thirty nine when I consider. I did a whip around to the grocery store on Saturday. Well, my friend went into came up to pick a book for anyone's reading the summer. I turned pretty we're all over it, but she wanted to pick up a book, and I was like, oh, just run into the grocery store because I have eleven items on my grocery list, and I reckon I can whip around and get that done in the same time it takes you to get a book. Sorry, this is a very roundabout way I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: I like it. How long did it actually take, though, real question.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I got it done in like ten minutes, Like I was power amazing. If you saw some crazy woman with a trolley zooming through the ill.
Speaker 5: It would be less than one minute per item. That's very bad efficient isn't that very efficient?
Speaker 2: But eleven items, I was like, oh, it'll be a cheap shop, it'll be so so oh my god. It was one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 4: Surely not.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't like I was like disgusting. It was like pantry staples. It was like swiy sauce. No, it wasn't as I bought one for twenty four pack of Pepsi Max. Obviously, yeah, but that's not expensive and it was on sale forty percent off because that's your money win that I buy it. I couldn't believe it so well done, that whole food win. I feel like that is an absolute bargain eran. And the last one that I have comes from Megan, who said money When I signed up to mad Pause as a pet sitter and I have my first doggy daycare client.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, that's actually so cute.
Speaker 2: Extra cash to add to savings and a new friend to keep me company while I'm working. And I know we've mentioned Mad Paws on the pod before. We've never worked with them, but you mentioned use them before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've used them to before to find like pet sitters and stuff, and I've had a good experience. You go, that's goody not bad. That's bad. But they did doggie daycare though.
Speaker 2: That's real cute, very fun, which and it makes sense if you have a dog who has like anxiety issues or something I do. Yeah, and you're someone who works at home and you have an empty house, the win win situation.
Speaker 4: A friend all day. That's very sweet and cute. Loss of All right, let's segue straight into Beck. What broke tips have you round up for Ust this week? Okay?
Speaker 5: So I've got a couple of good ones. Oh are you sure you have no faith in me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I do? I'm excited. What are they?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Okay, So the first one comes from Sarah.
Speaker 5: So Sarah sent through a lot of really good broke tips, and I'm going to read out my favorites.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right ready, I'm going to read them, not.
Speaker 5: In Sarah's voice, but the way Sarah wrote this. So, first one, sign up to all takeaway places with your birthday, which is something I mentioned, start a week so you get free meals at birthday time. The second one post on socials asking if anyone has free meal kitboxes. So you know, hello fresh Marley Spoons.
Speaker 4: I sent you one last week, you haven't redeemed it yet because I just checked. Can you see that you can cheat? I can to know that I cannot lie about that. Yeah, I shouldn't have told her spoons delicious.
Speaker 5: No, but this is actually very very really great because I don't know what to do with mine, Like I'm like, should I give them friends? I never know if I buy a box, but there's so many that are there to go around, so great idea. Ask for those, and then you can eat like a coin, she says, which is great for a week, for two weeks, for three weeks, however, money week you get.
Speaker 4: The next one is do groceries late at night. I used to do this with my mum. So you can get all the discounted stuffing like cream and caramel, sponge, cake, woolies.
Speaker 5: All the free items get marked down at a certain times.
Speaker 4: Roast chicken. I love a whole roots for chicken.
Speaker 5: This one, I don't know if I don't know if she's mentioning mad pause here, but she says, if you live in a sharehouse or with parents, sign up for pets sitting slash house sitting. You get a mini holiday, possibly somewhere nicer than where you live snuggles with a fur baby and you get paid for it as well, the same as Mad Pause.
Speaker 4: You can do that on Mad Pause. Amazing. Yeah, I really liked it because when I had I have two cats and a dog, and Steve and I were going on a holiday and usually they go and spend time with my parents, but my parents were going on the same holiday, and I was like, well, what's going to happen here? We found someone really nice on Mad Pause and she came with like a police check and a whole heap of really good references, and she actually came and just lived in our house for a week and they looked after our pets. And I was really stoked with it because I'm I'm quite pedantic when it comes to my pets and them being looked after, and I didn't like the idea that someone would just like drop in and feed them and run away and they're needed just like their mother.
Speaker 2: Fair enough.
Speaker 5: So that is what I have from the community this week. I was just I'm just going to use the one person because she did give me many beautiful, very great.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and these were all very very useful. I think I love the idea of signing up. If I had done that when I was younger, I would have had a much better UNI experience. Usually the house is quiet too, because like you don't get a pet sitter if you have housemates, so like you get a whole house to yourself, hot, you could study, you could work from home, like, oh what a dream.
Speaker 4: Whatever you want to do now. My personal breake tip for this week is is it garlic bread?
Speaker 5: It's not garlic bread this week, and it doesn't include bread.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't. That's quite disappointing.
Speaker 5: And I carry often mentioned our favorite bread. So what I'm saying is if you're a single person, that's probably more ideal. If you're a single person and you're buying for yourself, take advantage of those ready to eat meals. Either in the frozen section, you can get like a four dollar lasagna. This is what I did when I was really really like I had no money for the week. I would get like a really cheap you can get to Audi.
Speaker 4: You can go. Audi has good frozen meals, have really.
Speaker 5: Good frozen meals and very very cheap. And if you want to create the exact same meal from scratch, it's gonna cost you so much money, So don't feel bad if you have expensive to make totally flying mince. If you put mince in you lasagna, bam, ten dollars already totally And I don't know about you guys, but those meals don't usually fill me to the brim and I want to be filled to the brim.
Speaker 4: So if you need to have a second one, go for it's still going to only eight bucks for two serves of lazadi, like eight bucks or two serves of lasagna. But also frozen veggies, real cheap frozen veggie cup. Your your pre made meal with that frozen veggies, or like some sides or something to make it a little bit more cost effective, but also feeling totally.
Speaker 5: So yes, that is my break tap for the week. Do not sneeze it. Ready to eat meals go to the frozen section. If they're too expensive in the refrigerated section.
Speaker 4: I feel like they are more expensive in the fridge.
Speaker 5: They're like eleven dollars maybe, yeah, but frozen section super cheap. They're often on special as well. You know there's like bowls is super Bowls.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I like those ones. They're like wholesome bowls bowls.
Speaker 5: Or something like that. They're always on special. Those are also like four or five dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so do it. That's actually quite smart. I haven't looked at that part of the supermarket in a long time. Love, you've got to check it out. I'm gonna check it out. I love it. Thank you for that. All right, let's go to a quick break and on the flip side, we're gonna be talking about how to manage your finances if you're a freelancer, and we're going to be talking about something you split into our DMS about and that's affording a pet. So guys, do not go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 4: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: I have Victoria, I have a quick money question. I feel like you always speak about, you know, people that have jobs, full time jobs, getting a job, leaving a job, asking for a pay rise. But for myself and for pretty much all of my friends, we're all freelancers in the creative industries. And I feel like a lot of people right now maybe would go unmentioned, but would really appreciate some help in managing their finances when freelance and how to set themselves up for success when your pay is coming in at different times even though you might.
Speaker 4: Be really busy.
Speaker 6: But yeah, just backing yourself, I guess we'd love some tips on how to live.
Speaker 4: I feel like this is a good one. Actually. I feel like maybe you haven't listened to enough of our podcasts though, because we've done a few episodes on variable income and like if you have a side hustle and how to manage like tax and income and all of that. So first things first, the twenty ninth of January, we did an episode on side hustles and how to manage income for that, and then on the twelfth of May twenty twenty one, we did an episode what was called jess like budgeting for variable There you go. So we've done a couple before, But I think it's really important to remember that even if your income is variable, your job is to make it as stable as possible. Right, And I've spoken about this concept before of you know, if you're brand new to freelancing, it can feel really up and down because you've never done it before. But if that's your chosen I guess career path, have a look at the last three or six or even twelve months and work out what your average is, and if you feel like the average is relatively close to what you're earning, like some months it might be just under, in some months it might be over, let's budget on that average amount. If that average amount you see you feel is a little bit too much, have a look at what your lowest earning months are and take those months and let's budget based on your lowest earning months, because that means anything above and beyond is going to be cream on top, and that's going to make you feel a lot more financially stable. So when it comes to freelancing, I think there's you know, lots of different areas where you could freelance, right, Like obviously creatives do it a lot. You could be in literal medicine. You could be in so many different areas. But the important thing is to understand two different numbers. One what is your average income to what are your expenses? So a lot of people they bury their heads in the sand about expenses, But what you need to understand is what are your personal expenses? So what is your rent, what is your food? What is all of that when it comes to your personal life. But what are your business expenses? Like do you have accounting software that you pay for every month? Do you have you know, different freelance costs that come into it, Because those two numbers should always be treated differently, like your business costs should not be confused with your personal costs because you need to be making sure that your business is covering those And you're all good. But the important thing is to try and find as much I guess stability as possible. And that's why I always rely on budgeting with the lowest amount. And you might go but the some months and like, let's just be really stereotypical about this. In picksel numbers V some months I make two thousand dollars, some months I make ten thousand dollars. Great, what you're going to do is take those months where you don't actually earn two thousand dollars, where you're earning ten thousand dollars, what are you doing with that eight grand? Can we look at your money spending habits, because if you're anything like old me, you're blowing that eight grand that month you're like, oh my gosh, it's been so long since I've had money. I'm going to treat myself to ABCDNA, and then by the end of that month you have nothing left over for it. What I would do is go all right, that money needs to go into an other account, and that's where your average comes from. So Jess, say you've worked out your average is three and a half or four thousand dollars a month, but one month you get paid two thousand dollars. What we're going to do to have some consistency is take two thousand dollars out of that fund that you've put away, the rainy day kind of every day adjustment fund, and give it to yourself that month, so you're always living on the average. Yeah, because over time, if we're just living on the average and we have higher months, we are going to start to actually put money aside that fund will build up that will become your emergency fund. That makes you feel a lot more confident. But I think it's really important to realize that even if you are a freelancer, a lot of these budget tips and tricks do still apply to you. But what you need to do is look for the consistency on top of those tips and tricks. Does that make sense, Yeah, one hundred percent, very well, said V. I think it's important to also understand another freelancer rant, When was the last time you checked your pricing? When was the last time that you looked at how much you're charging clients?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because I can almost guarantee that most freelancers haven't looked in it in more than twelve months. And inflation, my friends, was seven percent. So are you going to be increasing your rates? Because I can almost guarantee that your business expenses have gone up in that period of time as well. So we need to actually be putting future us first by looking at pricing. And one of the most important things as a small business owner or as a freelancer is to have an understanding of your worth. And if you're not doing that, you're shooting yourself in the foot and you're always going to feel like you're chasing your tail. Like you do good work, your clients see value in that, please put a financial number on that. Yeah, so I think that's that's where I'm at. Do you guys have anything that you would like to add to the freelance combo?
Speaker 2: I think on the money thing, going off what you were saying, obviously, she said that if you're self employed, like you can't ask for a pay rise the way that someone who is an employee can. As well as putting up your raise, you can pitch more work. I feel like a lot of people when they've been freelancing for a while get a bit comfy and wait for work to come to us. But are you approaching people in your kneese? Are you putting flyers in local businesses? Are you advertising on the internet? Do you have a social media that's acting as a funnel. There are lots of things that you can do to generate additional business as well, and that's another way to kind of pump up that income and you know, effectively raise the amount of money that you're able to pay yourself. Once you raise how much cash flow you've got coming in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I think It's really just about just being across your numbers, and that's harder done than it is said. Unfortunately, I think saying, oh, I'm across my numbers because you knew what came in last month? What's your average? Yeah, what's the mean? What's you love them? I think it's really important to understand that though, like what is going to be the most reasonable number for you to base your budget on, because if you start making financial decisions because you had one ten thousand dollars a month, that's actually going to shoot you in the You can't live a ten thousand dollars a month lifestyle. If that was just a one time or a two time thing, or maybe you've gotten comfy with it because it happened three months in a row, but what you forgot was that it was actually coming up to Christmas time and then you're going to have a lull come you know, the rest of the year. So I think it's really important to look at your numbers deeply and understand, well, when is my peak season? Because everyone's going to have a peak season, even you, Jess, you do freelance content, there is going to be peak seasons, and like I already know for She's on the money what those seasons look like. Because of the types of content that we create, we know that June is massive for us because we're a finance podcast and there are lots of financial things to talk about at end of financial year, Christmas, end of year is big for us. But that might not be true for every industry. So you need to look at yours and go, well, when am I going to be making the most or when am I going to be, you know, making the least? And I need to actually have a little bit of buffer set aside to make sure that I can still pay my bills.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Would you like to move on to our spicy DM of the week guys, Yeah, yes, you can't wait.
Speaker 2: It's the highlight of my week every week, all right.
Speaker 4: So we've got a community dilemma to discuss this week, guys and the DM. It sounded a lot like this, Hi, girls, just sending this off the back of Ved's article about reversing your financial commitments. A friend of mine got a dog in lockdown, and now she can't afford to feed her. She's always talking about putting it up for adoption because she's just so stressed financially the dogg Oh has built up quite a few VET bills recently as well, and I know she's just really freaking out. I feel so bad for the dog. I also feel bad for my girlfriend because it breaks her. But is this the right thing to do? I also feel like I should add my friend a lot like us was in a much better position financially a few years ago.
Speaker 2: This one hurts my heart. Such a hard position to be in.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's a good conversation to have, though. Beck and I recently recorded our Deep Dieve for our our financial Commitment episode and whether you can back out of financial commitments and Beck, what's the summary of that? I mean you can, but we were definitely talking about things that were not pets. Not pets, not living feeling creatures. Yeah, but you can back out of any financial commitment. Yeah, I think it's important to put future first. Yes, I'm the type of person that's going to really struggle with this question because there have been times that I have been incredibly financially stressed and I would feed my cat before I fed myself. So I feel like pets are different for everybody, So I probably need to preface my opinions. Probably coming from a place where I have grown up being obsessed with pets. I have three of them that are my life. Like, I don't know what's going to happen when I have a human child, Like, how do you love a human child more than you love your cat? Jessica, I actually don't know. I don't know, like it's going to be important. Have you seen my dog? Holy moly, a kid can't beat that. Yeah, So I find it really hard to be having that conversation in saying that, putting my pragmatic hat on. If that is a financial constraint, I think obviously the best answer is to rehome that dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 5: Hopefully there's someone that is close enough to someone that you can see often that will be willing to take this dog on, or is anything you can shift around maybe make some you know, money, A PI is hard to say because it's probably not possible.
Speaker 4: But is this your last resort? Is your last resort getting giving the dog up? You know what I mean? And if it is, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't really own pets, but I do know that I just feel really terrible for the animals who have formed an attachment.
Speaker 4: But everyone's going to be okay.
Speaker 5: Everyone adapts, every animal adapts, Everything's going to be okay. So if it's the last resort, of course.
Speaker 4: Give the dog up.
Speaker 5: But maybe try someone that you know, someone that you are friends with, family with. You can see the dog sometimes, you know, something like that's when close If not, I.
Speaker 4: Think we need Is this a season of life or is this what life's going to look like full time moving forward? Like is there a way that you could get some support in the interim because you're really struggling financially. There are lots of resources totally, Like, there are heaps of resources, and I don't think it just comes down to the dog, right, and like we could find a way to feed the dog very cheaply if we needed too for a short period of time, but you know as well pets. Yeah, Like there's just a lot in that conversation, I think. But Jess, have you ever made a financial commitment that you struggled to I guess keep you probably haven't because she's much mauder than aspect. I don't think so, not in this way, And I think that's why this question we're all finding it quite hard. Yes, I'm the same as u V. I think I think about a pet and I view it as a child, like it is dependent on you. Yeah, and I think there's a broader conversation to have and it's a good chance for a reminder.
Speaker 2: I guess that. And you take on a pet, you're taking on a commitment, hopefully for over a decade depending on the pet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a lifetime because that's their lifetime commitment. Like, you don't take on a pet with the idea that, oh, well, I'll just get rid of it h if it's too hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not getting bunnies for Easter because they're cute. We're not getting puppies and then getting rid of them because they get big lately.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think just a good reminder for people that pets require love and sometimes things come up like with this girl's poor dog, where they require surgery. And I know that those are things that you can't plan for, but it's something that you, I guess you have to factor in at the start. And I know that if someone said to me, hey, like it's going to cost six thousand dollars, your choices are pay that money or put your pet down. I know that that is absolutely not That is a decision that I would really, really really struggle with, right, And so I can see how she got into this position where she's she's obviously paid for these surgeries and maybe that's put a significant amount of financial strain from her, and that's come from a place of love, and that's come from a place of I'm trying and I'm doing my best. So I'm not in any way implying that she's being no neglectful.
Speaker 4: Of course not. And because we don't know the circumstances at all, it's just a really hard conversation to have. And I think it's our responsibility to drive home the fact that a pet is a responsibility. And I think that, Yeah, it's interesting because I've you've probably had it before to just where people reply to your Instagram stories they're like, oh my gosh, seeing your cat makes me want to get one. Yeah, and I go, don't just get one because mine looks cute? Yeah, like minor responsibility like.
Speaker 2: Bailey, my couches they pee on shit, Like there's the bad stuff too, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Like my cat Bailey. I have had what now, eleven and a half years, and he is my best friend and he is now what twelve and a half ish, he's getting to be old boy.
Speaker 2: He's such a sweetheart.
Speaker 4: But like, there have been times where financially it's been really hard, but I kind of feel like I committed to that cat and making sure that he had his best life. Like it has constrained me in so many different ways, from not being able to apply for certain rentals to not being able to travel if I couldn't find a pet sitter for him, to like lots of different things that I know other people who have gotten rid of pets for those reasons, and I just go if that's the case, Like if you want to get a pet, and then all of a sudden you want to go on a holiday, but you can't find, you know, pet sitter, so you get rid of the dog. You shouldn't have had that dog in the first place, I think. But I'm quite cut and dry when it comes to pet justice.
Speaker 2: I see a lot of tiktoks. I'm on pet TikTok at the moment, I'm on animal shelter TikTok because I think because I was looking, I was trying to figure out how lay if I don't know's how you can volunteer with local shelters on like social media or something like that, because I really need to do that. But anyway, that's the personal gain. I'm on that side of TikTok. And there's this trend that shelters are doing. They're putting up like videos of the animals and why they were donated.
Speaker 4: I mean, break my heart.
Speaker 2: It's honestly gut frenching because I watched one literally last night, and like, some of them makes itense, you know, the owner passed away, or the owner moved into state. There was one like the owner went to jail. Oh no, and you just go, that's really hard. But there are some that it was like dog was too noisy, oh you know, or cat, you know, tore up couch and things like that, and you go, oh, these are the people that probably shouldn't think about what they.
Speaker 4: Were getting into.
Speaker 2: On the note of shelters, I will say as well, if it's just the food thing for our listener or a friend of our listener, a lot of local shelters will actually pass food along to people in need, So if they don't want you to give up the pet, no, So I would say if it's just the food thing, And as you said, if you think it's just right now while times are tough, and you know, people are struggling to put food on the table for themselves, let alone for a pet, which I totally understand. It could be worth just reaching out to a couple of your local shelters because a lot of people donate foods to those shelters and where they can, I know that they will pass that along to help out a pet and a family in need. So that's something that you could look into as well. But yeah, I think ultimately we don't want the pet sitting there having a diminished quality of life and consequently you also feeling really terrible and really stressed as well. If it is the absolute last resort, I think, as you said back, like the right thing to do is to rehome it, hopefully close to home. But I think we all get how awful and how hard that really.
Speaker 4: Totally I agree. We asked our community obviously what their thoughts were. Someone said, I'm a VET nurse and we're seeing this a lot post COVID lately. You have to do what's best for both of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 4: Very nice. Someone said, I got in a lot of debt at a young age, and I ended up in a part nine debt agreement, but I still have my cat. That's cute.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes you think about too, like companionship. Like you see a lot of homeless people who will keep their pet, and I know that there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of mental health.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of discourse around whether it's good or bad. But yeah, I completely agree, Like they'll, like you said, sometimes they'll feed the pet before they'll feed themselves. It's that bond, right, that love and that connection totally.
Speaker 4: Someone said, I got a dog during COVID. She came with a lot of health issues. We just had to tighten our budget to be able to afford her. Someone said, I would do absolutely anything I could to keep my animal, but if the choice has to be made, it has to be made. I think that's really compassionate at the end of the day. Like at the end of the day, I think it's the last ditched plan, and I think that there shouldn't be shame in that. But I also think that we need to advocate for animals so much more than we already do, Like they are such a massive responsibility. And if you've got a dog during COVID, because you're like, ah, well, we're home all the time. We'll work it out later, Like no, no, no, that was a twelve to fourteen year commitment from you.
Speaker 2: And they're sentient beings, like they get attached, they have emotions, they have feelings like if you're on that side of TikTok or if you're not, go on there, Like you.
Speaker 4: Don't even need to be on that side of TikTok. I have my God, I'm obsessed with my dog and it's like right back at me, like we're obsessed with each other. We're in livee.
Speaker 2: She does love you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're the rules I told her with me. If you want to eat all the good food, you gotta love make us look good on the internet, Luci. But I think it's just one of those things where obviously rehoming a pet can sometimes be best thing, and at the end of the day, if that's what you're thinking, then maybe you're not giving the pet the love it deserves to begin with that home. I don't know, but I would really start with trying to find in a new home before deciding to take it down to the pound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree completely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean message usin will put it on the stories and so yeah, because, like I just I would hate to think that someone in our community had to give up a pet when there are so many beautiful community members that probably want a little furry friendly.
Speaker 2: That's how I got Daisy, I know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: We went nuts on the internet and tried to find Jess a family member, and do you know what, we were successful.
Speaker 2: It was a cute community came through.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Got a bad way, but I think that's it. I feel like a little now I know it.
Speaker 5: Un Thus, you absolutely must and that's okay.
Speaker 4: You were in a safe space. Yeah, I know you totally are. Like I don't think that there's any judgment if it's the last ditched attempt, like I think it's. It is what it is, isn't it all right? Well with that, I hope you guys have the most beautiful weekend and we'll see you right early on Monday for our money diary. Bye guys.
Speaker 5: Bye.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine
Speaker 4: H