Speaker 1: You are now entering the court of Judge Gina Leano.
Speaker 2: Friends are our chosen family, but that doesn't mean it's always smooth sailing between two pals. When you need a friendship fight resolved once and for all, you come to my courtroom. I am Judge Gina, and my decision is final. You better be ready to hear my ruling.
Speaker 1: Sometimes working with a mate can be the death of a relationship. Louis has brought rooms to Judge Gina seeking recompense for a mis rehearsal of their critically acclaimed comedy show Besties. Louis is seeking one thousand dollars due to waste time. Can their friendship survive the business we call show.
Speaker 3: My full name is Lewis Oscarhansen. You might know me by Louis, and you know me potentially from the Internet or from some articles that I've written online, or from just being an icon in general. I have come to Judge Gina because I'm feeling really betrayed by a best friend.
Speaker 4: My name is Licinda Price aka Froomes. You would know me from the Flex and Froom show on Kata or on Instagram. So Louis is one of my best friends. We've known each other for about four or five years.
Speaker 3: We had one final in person rehearsal the week before our in Hindsight critically acclaimed Melbourne Comedy Festival shows, and I received a text from Miss Lisinda Frum's Price informing me that she had been on a bender the night before and hadn't slept, so we didn't end up having the rehearsal, and I was really upset by that.
Speaker 4: Today I am counteres seing Louis for sixty nine sixty nine do without what you will, just for having my reputation dragged through the mud.
Speaker 3: Really so, I have come here today for no other reason than to get one thousand dollar. Cost of living is high, and I went through some distress when Lucinda ditched that Rehanaisal.
Speaker 1: Court is now in session. Please rise the judge. Gina.
Speaker 2: Okay, Louis and Lucinda, Yes, okay. You to your friends, I understand bestie's bestie's besties. How do you know each other?
Speaker 3: We met when we worked at the same media publication, probably about four years ago. Now instantly there was a connection. We were like kindred spirits and we've been so close ever since.
Speaker 4: Yes, we were both writers and presenters, and so we bonded over the trauma.
Speaker 2: Of writing and presenting. You've bonded over the trauma of writing and presenting. Yes, okay, you're currently working together.
Speaker 3: We did some recently for Melbourne Comedy Festival and Sydney Comedy Festival, and I would say this is the first project in quite a few years that we've done together.
Speaker 2: So you're both comedians. Tell me a joke, make me laugh.
Speaker 4: What's green and has wheels? I don't know, grass I lied about the wheels.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, Well, if you lie in this court, you're not going to get very far right. Tell me a proper joke my dating life. Oh that's the joke, you're dating life. Okay, you've summed it up.
Speaker 5: There, you go, thank you?
Speaker 2: All right. Okay, So Louie's actually asking for one thousand dollars as a victim of being dogged by his best de resulting in emotional turmoil and subsequent distraction from what should have been your focus on being an icon is your description? Okay, you have to focus on that. Okay, Well, we hope it just comes naturally, but in any event.
Speaker 3: It was there a sentence after that said judge Jenny would understand, as she herself is an icon.
Speaker 2: No, that doesn't say that included. No, I think that was. It was deliberately omitted, actually, because I don't need your flattery. So how did you quantify one thousand dollars?
Speaker 5: Just like a really impressive clean number?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, well can you tell me why I would be compelled to agree to that?
Speaker 3: Because I just felt like I experienced so much distress following the incident, distress that I didn't need in the lead up.
Speaker 2: No, but explain what that looks like. What do you mean by distress? Okay, you say that you were upset and on the day and that you felt like you were dogged by your friend, but the show went ahead and you didn't suffer any difficulties. Ultimately with the show, you've got stellar reviews from the Age.
Speaker 5: It was critically acclaimed.
Speaker 2: I have had a look over your application, Louis, and it says he that you were meant to have a final rehearsal on the Sunday prior to the commencement of your Melbourne Comedy Festival shows, and Lucinda texted you at seven am saying that she hadn't slept all night and that she wouldn't be making it to the rehearsal. I wouldn't be laughing. Does that sound right? Louis at your side of the story, correct, Judge Jenna, How did that make you feel? And what was the issue there? Why couldn't you rehearse another time? Why was it only Sunday morning or Sunday?
Speaker 3: So Lucinda was going to fly back to Sydney later that day. So I'm Melbourne based, Lucinda Sydney based, and this was the final in person rehearsal before Lucinda then flew back to Sydney and then she would come down again and we would do the shows. So I considered this our last in person rehearsal right before the shows. So it was an important one to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you are you employed by anyone or this is just something you do independently? Are you paid for Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would just say we're kind of like full time icons, so no, this is literally just us doing things.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you got paid for the show?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 2: Did you suffer any loss as a result of not having that rehearsal?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 5: Emotionally?
Speaker 3: I went through some emotional turmoil I felt as though Lucinda had prioritized potential suitor over the Besties performances at Melbourne Comedy Festival. That made me feel upset, and it also meant that I was distructed from putting in the hours to rehearse for the show, you know, in those last final hours of rehearsal.
Speaker 2: So you can't rehearse on your own.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we rely on each other. We bounce off each other. It's essentially one hour sleepover where we walk onto stage and it just this back and forth ensues. It's very conversational.
Speaker 2: And is it scripted or is it something that you add lib At the time.
Speaker 3: I would say, we have an idea of the general stories that we want to towel, but the majority of the hour is ad lib.
Speaker 2: Okay. So when you had done the two rehearsals, they were both in Melbourne, and Lucinda had flown down to Melbourne for those correct and she'd flown down to Melbourne on this occasion for the third rehearsal and hadn't turned.
Speaker 4: Up on my own dime, miss judged Gina.
Speaker 2: So it's cost you money to fly down here. But clearly you recognized that there was a necessity for a rehearsal. You've even put your hand in your pocket and paid for it. Is that right? You recognized that you would benefit from a third rehearsal. Some would say, would you say, do you agree with that?
Speaker 4: Next? No comment?
Speaker 2: No, no, you'll need to answer that question. You're not at the police station being interrogated. You're in a court, so you need to tell me did you do you agree that you were flying down to Melbourne for the purpose of a rehearsal.
Speaker 4: I was flying down to Melbourne for the purpose of two rehearsals, not three.
Speaker 2: Oh, so what you're saying is Louis got it wrong. You were in Melbourne, but you weren't there for a rehearsal.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 5: That is scandalous.
Speaker 2: I don't believe you. Why did you text him at seven o'clock in the morning to say that you couldn't make it to the rehearsal. Why would you text someone at seven o'clock in the morning and say I'm not going to make it to something that If you tell me you weren't here for that purpose, well, Gina, I.
Speaker 4: Think we need to look the receipts because I didn't say that. I couldn't make it. Actually, there's some evidence here that needs to be witnessed by you.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I want you to tell me first.
Speaker 4: So I went out on the Saturday night. I'd met a man on the Friday night, and I thought, I'm only in Melbourne for a few nights. Need to take opportunities as they come. As a girl boss.
Speaker 5: You never know when they're going to not be there.
Speaker 4: That feels like a dig. So yes, I decided I will go out and have a drink with this gentleman, which I did as I want to do as a young red blooded female, warm blooded female, and it turned into quite a large night. As I said, I didn't sleep. I sent Louis a message and it is time stamped at seven or six am to be precise, Sunday.
Speaker 2: What do you say happened?
Speaker 4: I say that I informed Louis that I had not slept. When Sunday, the morning of morning of the rehearsal. What time was the rehearsal scheduled for? It was not scheduled, Louis.
Speaker 2: What time was the rehearsal scheduled for?
Speaker 3: We had this general consensus that it would be late afternoon.
Speaker 5: At some point I object.
Speaker 2: What time was you flight out back to Sydney.
Speaker 4: My flight out to Sydney was one pm.
Speaker 2: Okay, Gina.
Speaker 4: The rehearsal had not been scheduled. It was a loose plan.
Speaker 2: Okay, what was the loose plan?
Speaker 4: In my mind? The plan was for us to meet at ten apam ten am and rehearsal one hour before I jetted off from Saint Kilda to the airport. Takes roughly one hour on a good day. We were going to meet at my house. I didn't say that we couldn't meet. I said, however, that I had not slept.
Speaker 2: Were you just bragging about the night before? What was the purpose of letting him know that.
Speaker 4: A bit of both, your honor, I was bragging, if I'm being real honest, all right.
Speaker 3: So Louis, what did you say immediately? It put me in the foulest mood of all time?
Speaker 2: Well, I couldn't understand you were left in the lurch and that you had a really significant performance. Three of them actually, and they do say failing to prepare is preparing to fail, exactly.
Speaker 5: Right, your honor.
Speaker 3: I'm like, not even an lie. I'm gonna put my hands up. I was a bit sassy, a bit juty over the text, kind of just like shutting it down, like it's fine, it's fine, because usually I'm quite an expressive texter. Straight away, Luciner was like, okay, something was up. So Lucinda then calls me and he's like, girl, like what's going on? And I was just like, listener, I'm gonna be honest with you. I'm just I'm a bit disappointed in your behavior, okay.
Speaker 2: And then well.
Speaker 3: Then I feel like Lucinda was kind of like, oh, but you can still come over, and I was like, girl, you literally haven't slept, and like, what are we going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just felt that it would be a waste of your time to go there. I mean, I don't know what she's been up to, but I'm guessing all night something kept her awake all night and on that basis, so, I mean, at some point she's going to want to sleep. What's the point of you taking the effort to go all the way there.
Speaker 3: Usually I'm a bit of a party gal, but I had stayed inside all weekend, prioritized the show over my social life, even though I was craving a night out on the town.
Speaker 2: So in anticipation of the rehearsal. You were a good girl and you stayed.
Speaker 5: Home completely judged Gina.
Speaker 2: Right, So you didn't quite have the same opportunities coming your ways as Lucinda may have had.
Speaker 3: Is that well, you could say I had sparser opportunities than Lucinda. Yes, of that weekend.
Speaker 2: So basically what you're telling me is, for the sake of a bit of romance, you'll ditch your friend. So that'd be right. I need all audio because we have an audience who can't see Louis what that expression means. So if you can verbalize it so for the transcript, we can record it.
Speaker 3: I just gestured in a very exasperated manner in agreement with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Lucinda, what do you say about that?
Speaker 4: Well, Louis was supposed to come to my house and I sent him this photo. Gina, Well, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Can you describe it? What's that you sleeping? I don't want to see that?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: What is that you showing me how tired you are? What is that at seven oh six am? Or is that just so the easy?
Speaker 3: That's Lucinda stumbling away from her potential suitors as the sun is rising.
Speaker 4: I was simply putting a face to a name and letting Louis know that I was awake and that I was on foot, and I said, it's giving. I haven't slept. Call. Do you want to come over at like twelve for a good solid hour? I really cooked it last night, but it was for a good cause.
Speaker 2: Well that doesn't sound right because your flight was at one, and as far as I'm aware, you need to beat the airport forty five minutes before that. So I don't think twelve o'clock's going to be an invitation for anybody other than to help you to the car with your luggage.
Speaker 5: Your mind is that powerful year on Earth.
Speaker 4: Kissarsing doesn't give you points, Lui, okay, so that's not a plan.
Speaker 2: This was the Sunday before the first show on the twenty eighth of April.
Speaker 5: Is that right correct?
Speaker 2: And what day is the twenty eighth of April. I'm just checking. It was a Friday, Friday, so you didn't have time between then and Friday to have another rehearsal.
Speaker 4: We did. We had it over Zoom.
Speaker 2: Well, that was my next question. So you did have a rehearsal over Zoom. Many actually yes, okay, when was that?
Speaker 4: I would say that was on Tuesday night, and then I returned to Melbourne on the Thursday. We had a rehearsal all day Thursday. We then had a rehearsal morning off the show on Friday, and then again Friday afternoon, and so multiple rehearsals.
Speaker 2: Sounds to me like you would have had those multiple rehearsals in any event, and that, in actual fact, Sunday wasn't your final opportunity, like you've said, that's what you've said to me, Louis, that that was your last chance, okay, face to face. But I mean, come on, we've all come out of lockdown and everybody's done everything remotely for a long time. I think we've sort of got our head around doing things.
Speaker 3: Reminds I'm just something about the vibe of being in person.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: I did feel like it was our final chance, because let's be honest, the next time we're going to see each other was like the day before the show, and by then, like you know.
Speaker 2: I get it, I'll get to frames. You're candasuing Louis for six hundred and ninety six dollars and ninety cents for the Sunday. Is it scaries, Yes, induced by feeling like a flaky friend when in actual fact you were getting does it say near it getting near it your honor as research for the show?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Right? So did you did that rendezvous that encounter form part of your your repertoire at the.
Speaker 4: Show, both directly and indirectly. Definitely? It gave me a lust for life that really came across on stage and also provides me.
Speaker 2: Seven a week later, a week later, you were still.
Speaker 4: Yes, Gina, I go for long, long stretches.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you say that you want to count Sue Louis for six How did you quantify six hundred ninety six dollars and ninety cents with I just want to know about how you even got to ninety cents?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: So go and tell me what's the sixth.
Speaker 4: Ninety six, ninety nine sixty nine or sixty nine sixty nine?
Speaker 2: Ik? There you go. That's what you're asking.
Speaker 4: Are you familiar, Gina?
Speaker 2: Well no, not formiliar, but I know what you're talking about. So that's just you being a little bit crass. Okay, I don't think that just throwing a sixty nine and sixty nine is going to cut it in my court. I don't think that that's actually a quantification for anything other than just another opportunity for you to be a little bit and crass. So has anything like this happened before where either of you have let each other down or you know you've been distracted in any way?
Speaker 4: Well, Gina, I would say, I've been single for quite a long time now, and I believe that in the Maslow hierarchy of needs the shelter, air, water, and also physical touch, and so when opportunities are presented for me, I need to take those opportunities. And at times I have felt like Louis has dare I say in court, cock blocks me?
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, well we won't use that terminologies me. We're not going to use that language. I think you just preoccupied with something and you have to clear your mind and get focused.
Speaker 3: We are both single and ravenous and ravenue.
Speaker 4: At the moment, ravenous, your honor. The table in the studio looks like a penis and bulls, and so it's.
Speaker 3: Actually I will agree with plaintive frames that we are currently sitting on quite a phallicked table.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, this is very much a distraction from the question that I asked, which is, has this ever happened before where either of you have let each other down? And somehow you've snuck in a cock block and a table that looks like a penis intestical. So I'm actually not sure who I'm talking to going on. Pull this right back. I mean, I don't know what Jenitale you've seen in your life, but I've got three dogs, two sons, and I've been married twice, so I think I've had a pretty good run of different genitalia and that does not look anything like what you're talking about. Okay, I've heard enough. I'm going to deliberate.
Speaker 1: Judge Gina is deliberating and will soon hand down her verdict. Please do not leave the courtroom.
Speaker 2: All right. So, to sum it up, Louis is suing Lacinda for negligence after she ditched a rehearsal for a love interest. Then we've got rooms. She would like to counterclaim six hundred and ninety six dollars and ninety cents. I'm going to reject the counterclaim of six hundred and ninety six dollars the claim of one thousand dollars. I'm going to deny on the basis that the performance went ahead, there were multiple rehearsals, and that at the end of the day, you should understand that your friends do what they do, and really you just have to accept that if you have a single girl who's dedicated to her career but likes to be a girl boss and go out that unfortunately, that's what she might be doing. So that's my decision and its final.
Speaker 3: I feel horrific about today's outcome. I really came in to this court case with my eyes on the prize and that was a cute, clean, sexy number. One thousand dollars. I feel like one thousand dollars is really the apt figure to counteract for the fact that I went through emotional turmoil.
Speaker 4: I believe that our disagreement has been settled for once and for all.
Speaker 3: I thought that Judge Gina was quite fair, albeit intimidating at times, but I.
Speaker 5: Truly love that for her. She is an icon. She is amazing.
Speaker 4: I think it's good for Louis to have somewhere to air his feelings and having someone like Judge Gina as a mediator is a blessing. So I think we should be very, very thankful for today's experience and what has transpired here.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to be fine. I think our relationship is going to be fine from here. She is a real one through and through and I love that girl. I just wanted money. I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 1: This has been an iHeart production.