Speaker 1: You're about to listen to My Favorite Tip episode, where I select one of my favorite tips that I've heard on this show. But I want to know what your favorite tip has been that you've heard on How I Work, because I'm putting together a short series of listeners favorite tips that i'll be releasing next month.
Speaker 2: To submit a tip.
Speaker 1: Email me a voice memo or a note to Amantha at inventium dot com dot au. That's Amantha at inventium dot com dot au and you can get my email from the show notes. You might even want to mention how you've applied the tip in your own life. Most guests on How I Work will tell you to turn off your phone if you want to get work done. They'll probably tell you to leave it out of the bedroom when it's time to sleep, and to keep it out of reach when you're meant to be spending quality time with friends and family.
Speaker 2: It's easy to forget sometimes just how.
Speaker 1: Useful, though, that little super computer in your pocket can be, and that applies to life admin too. Life Admin Hacks authors Miya Northrop and Dinah Roe Roberts put me onto the untapped power of Siri, Apple's personal assistant and I've never looked back. If you've never used Siri for anything other than a Google search while your hands are full, you are missing out on an on demand, high powered digital assistant, from reminders to calendar updates.
Speaker 2: Maya and Dinah.
Speaker 1: Share with me how do use Siri to supercharge your life?
Speaker 2: Admin. My name is doctor amanthe Immer.
Speaker 1: I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium. And this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. On today's my Favorite Tip episode, will you go back to an interview from the past and I pick out my favorite tip from the interview. In today's show, I speak with Mia and Dinah and I wanted to know for Mea in particular how she uses Siri.
Speaker 3: So probably mostly to add things to my to do lists. Either I'm in the car and that's where things occur to me. I might hear something on the podcast or on the radio, or something will just pop in my mind and I'll pause whatever I'm listening to and say, hey, Siri, and you know, at a reminder, she's probably he's probably gonna wake up now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, My Siri is a man. I love the fact that you can customize the voices.
Speaker 3: So that's probably the main way I Siri in terms of life, Adamin, I think the reminders app on the iPhone has some very powerful functionality in terms of the toad's where you can be reminded on location, So if you're arriving somewhere or you're leaving from somewhere, it can trigger the reminder.
Speaker 4: It can trigger a reminder if you're talking to someone, particularly if you're messaging with someone. So if you link that with a contact, it'll remind you, Oh, I don't forget you're going to talk to so and so about XYZ. There's some powerful things in there around tagging and flagging.
Speaker 2: So Mia, how do you link reminders to contact specifically?
Speaker 4: So if you go into the reminders app and you click into the sort of information when there's a little icon there that says when messaging, and then you can choose a person, so you can choose, you know, for chatting with someone, the reminder will pop up, which is great when I'm talking to my mum because there's always something.
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to ask her and I always forget.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's pretty could use things.
Speaker 1: Like that wow, okay, And you can also schedule it when you're arriving somewhere.
Speaker 2: Because I was on a walk with a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Yesterday and I did the Siri trick where we were walking and I said, remind me to send my friend Steph this particular information, and I I said a time when I knew I'd be home, But I could have said when I arrive home.
Speaker 2: Is that how you Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you can set a location so you can be arriving and you know it has your home or your work as placeholders in there or getting in the car or getting out of the car, so it knows when you're getting in the car.
Speaker 4: So you can have it when you're arriving, or you can have it when you're leaving.
Speaker 2: Hang on, it knows when I'm getting in my car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the getting in and getting out of the car option. And I guess it's it's it's I don't know how it works. Is it to do with Apple car plays or it knows when you've got into the car play and then you turn car play off.
Speaker 4: I'm assuing that's how it works. Otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh this is great. This is improving my serious skills. I'm loving it.
Speaker 5: But I think, Amantha, what it really brings home for me is that we have these really powerful apps on our phones, on these you know, reasonably expensive devices, you know when you consider people's household, but so few people take the time to spend five ten minutes reading up on the capability of these apps. And you can invest five or ten minutes and it can save you hundreds of hours down the track by just investing that a little bit of time in getting your ability that bit higher in those apps that you're going to use every day.
Speaker 1: After having this chat with Mea and Dieta, I felt very inspired to spend more time getting to know the technology that I use regularly. And even when I was recording this my Favorite Tip episode today, I.
Speaker 2: Thought to myself, I really need to get.
Speaker 1: To know Google Nest better, and so tonight I'm going to spend ten minutes to get more out of the features that Google Nest offers me, which I think is quite a lot. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work. I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three core things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving through to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at howiwork dot com. That's how I work dot co. How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. And thank you to Matt Nimba who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than it would have otherwise.
Speaker 2: See you next time.