Speaker 1: Laura, come on there.
Speaker 2: Hello Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Hi Laura Burn, Hello Marich, Hello Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Oh you look in that looking pretty? Please say it's please you know what you're wearing now?
Speaker 4: If it for those listening now in the car Laura is wearing, please say which is that?
Speaker 2: It's like looks like crape paper. It's all folded like a Japanese.
Speaker 3: Kind of it kind of looks like it could be a pajama, like it's a matching set, but it is also something that you would wear if you want to look like you put an effort, But you've put in absolutely no effort.
Speaker 4: At all, all the team behind the scenes which you'd given up and now it's good that you've confirmed it.
Speaker 2: Is that pajamas.
Speaker 3: Do you want to see the shoes though?
Speaker 2: Hold, I'll show the shoes. Laura's bend. Why do you need to bend down.
Speaker 3: Because I've taking them off? What are they? They're not crops. They're called lusso cloud but they're like they're like a poor man crop.
Speaker 2: Check me, these look like a shoe the karate kid would wear.
Speaker 3: Do they they look like something that someone would wear at their outside gardening or they don't want to get planned to warts. It's a real plan to watch shoe.
Speaker 2: Oh the screams.
Speaker 4: I've just done laps at the local pool and I don't want to get tinier, so I'm wearing shoes that my grandma gave me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, I was speaking to someone about this today and I was like, now that I'm married, I think I've actually given up. Maybe a little bit too prematurely, but I've given up online from the waist down.
Speaker 4: Will your careers like on lock. You've got kids, You've got a beautiful husband. I think if you can give up, now is the time give up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh thank god. Okay, I'm going to cancel that Polate's class. I was going and have a glass of.
Speaker 2: Wine clean in.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Wednesday, Verright next, I've got a quiz for you, Laura.
Speaker 3: What are you quizzing me on? Not fashion?
Speaker 2: No, you've failed.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's Plissy's Please please please, please please give me, just please please say.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 4: I'm quizzing you on your pronunciation of certain words and if this is a great game, if you're listening in the car and you kind of want to get that mental elasticity rolling for a Wednesday, you're gonna want to play along with this quiz with us.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be tough, Laura.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna be fine with this. I'm know how to pronounce words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm educated. What about you?
Speaker 5: I did not.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen the deployment that game. Next, I'll go to pick up everyone every Wednesday. Now cue the game show music.
Speaker 2: Please thank you.
Speaker 4: We are Laura about to quiz you and the nation on your pronunciation skill.
Speaker 3: Can I ask why? Like I mean, I feel like I've had no say over this at all. I don't know what we're doing and for some reason you've come up with this.
Speaker 2: How do you learn in radio that you just don't ask the why? You just do the do?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have I have something in store for you coming up too. So yeah, this is segment you do the do when that happens?
Speaker 2: All right later today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you don't know what's going on here.
Speaker 3: I make a fool out of you or concusing for everyone?
Speaker 2: All right? No, no, no, this video is going viral. It's all over socials.
Speaker 4: It is a man who's posted a video and he's mispronouncing a word that I'd say is pretty commonplace, especially in Australia. It's a word that I know you've said, Laura, I've said people listening will know this word.
Speaker 3: It's it's always so embarrassing when you accidentally mispronounced a word and then you feel really stupid.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 4: So that's why the game show music is playing, because I've turned it into a quiz. I've got a bunch of mispronunciations. It is your job to tell me what they're trying to say. Okay, okay, So this is the first, the first video that's going viral. Tell me if you noticed the mispronunciation.
Speaker 2: Literally don't know how to pronounce this word.
Speaker 3: But Pepsi coach Is officially recalled their sugar free sugar pepis ginger rail pippies.
Speaker 2: No, no, they've re called their sugar free Sure were pepis? Wait? What played again?
Speaker 3: Sure were pepies swepes?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I wasn't. It's very wrong, But I think in context of Pepsi co I was like, who's a shoewell peepee?
Speaker 2: Totally sere pepe sweps. It's an Australian brand, isn't it sweps?
Speaker 4: Maybe he's got confused who knows so correct one point, all right, the next mispronunciation Laura. Okay, this is a woman who's posted a cooking video to TikTok, a recipe she's enjoyed. So try and and understand and tell me what words she's saying.
Speaker 2: Here yon keys go again, yon keys yo key. Well, I've officially found one of my new favorite meals. This is a creamy lemon chicken with yonkees. Correct. She's trying to say, knock you well done, Lauren.
Speaker 3: I can speak idiot, is what I'm getting from this.
Speaker 2: One's tough.
Speaker 4: It's enough food related video. This guy posted this to his social media. What is he trying to say?
Speaker 2: Here's okay?
Speaker 3: What what say it again?
Speaker 2: Okay? Zych I would you like the full video? Perhaps?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean a bit more context to the cooking.
Speaker 2: It is so delicious with tika.
Speaker 3: Is that what you say?
Speaker 2: Even?
Speaker 3: I was like nervous and is it thatske? I think it's tatsky tatsy key. That's okay, whatever. Now I think I brought a public service to the world. I taught for so many mums out there. You know, you have these horrible situations where your kids get things stuck up their nose because kids, it's what they do. Maybe it's a piece of lego, maybe it's a button, maybe it's some peas.
Speaker 4: It's frightening, and it's a new mum. I could imagine. Not everyone knows what to do in that situation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely terrifying. And I experienced it myself. You know, Lola, my little girl, she's got a button stuck up her nose. And I learn a technique which I wanted to bring here to the radio station, and I wanted to show Mitch how if he was ever in a point of distress, if he ever had something out, if it stuck up his nose, this would help him. There's no babies at the radio station, though, that's the problem. But I did have to try the technique on Mitch. Have a listen to this. You block the other nostril, not the nostril that has the thing in it, but block the opposite nostril, so then your kid will have their mouth open, and then you put your mouth over the.
Speaker 2: Do it.
Speaker 3: I didn't get a sealed. I have made out with Mitch Dury. He is alive and that was beautiful. Okay, so that happened. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last couple of days, because I you know, we want to do good in the world. We want to leave the world a better place than where we found them, And there are so many hacks and techniques that will make people better parents.
Speaker 2: I know exactly where you're going.
Speaker 3: One thing, one thing I really struggled with with Lola was that she had she had wind. And you know, if you've got a baby that's got colic, they're up all night, they're crying. It takes so much to try and settle them. And so I discovered a new hack which I wish I had known when Lola was little. It would have it would have saved me so many sleepless nights. And so I think, Mitch, knowing that you are the gassy boy that you are, that we should try it on you teach everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, no you're not.
Speaker 3: I've been in a small, confined room with you very often, and I've I've witnessed it myself. What do you mean do you get sore pains in your belly because you're just so so so gassy.
Speaker 2: To do something?
Speaker 3: It'll call it a little bit back dark.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I go to go and go to get a fight out and I go, that's more than a fight.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know if we should go through with this.
Speaker 2: Now? What is it?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I'm going to demonstrate on you it's really important. No, you're not I am, You're my test stummy, You're my guinea pa. The nation needs this.
Speaker 2: This works once. This isn't MythBusters.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm creating a segment out of this. We're going to do it every week. Well, I'm also a host on the show, and I need to be across these. Just lay down here, come on on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't look at a pediatrician.
Speaker 3: And also put on like your baby, go google Gaga for me. Wait, wait, cry about your colleag.
Speaker 2: Wait how does it work? What's the tactic?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to cycle you to help you relieve gas. So yeah, this is technique which you do on little kids like for you know, and it helps them because the kids have their digestive systems move a bit more freely than adults. And if you do this, it's very specific technique which I'm going to talk you all through. It'll help with your kid's colic if you're a parent.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to get on the desk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know how going to quite do this, and I'm worried about the aftermath, but we're.
Speaker 2: Going to try.
Speaker 4: Say with us, everyone, please hold on hands and knees.
Speaker 3: No, lay on your back. You don't get on your hands and knees.
Speaker 2: Is my is my end at your front? My front at your end?
Speaker 3: Your end is facing me. I'm in the danger zone. Okay, Mitch is currently getting on the desk. You're really making a show of this though, you're making now, you're making this seem a lot harder than what it really is. Oh my, okay, now he's just get your foot off my microphone. Okay, so get your child so I just walked. Get your child to lay down on their back. Okay, they've got a sore little Tommy, Tom Tom. And then you're gonna grab their legs. Al on.
Speaker 2: Wait, you've got to give me consent, man.
Speaker 3: Can I do you consent to me touching your feet?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you? All right, And then you've got to first off, I call their legs round like they're riding a little bike. Make sure that you push all the way up into the diaphragm.
Speaker 2: And then, oh my god, how.
Speaker 3: Are we feeling you're feeling loosening up.
Speaker 2: I feel like the blood's rushing from my skull.
Speaker 3: Okay, then you have to get both feet, put the feet together, and then started these Actually we're both in it at the same time.
Speaker 4: Okay, ye, any movement I feel like something's coming.
Speaker 3: Please point and then once you've done a little bit more cycling, just give it one fine or pushed down onto the diaphragm.
Speaker 2: It worked, it work.
Speaker 5: You did not?
Speaker 3: It works?
Speaker 2: That wasn't as far at me?
Speaker 3: Well you you just cycled it out of me.
Speaker 4: You got gaslight me into fighting and it laugh at me.
Speaker 3: It's discussing.
Speaker 2: Did I just do that? We can't. We have to go to the ads. I'm normally control the buttons. Go the ads. I'm embarrassed, bitch.
Speaker 3: You're pretty fresh in a relationship. You guys have been dating for a little bit now, but you have been in a long term relationship. And I am curious. When it is a same sex couple, how do you decide if you ever are to get engaged one day and ever to get married, how do you decide who takes which name?
Speaker 4: My God's the whole proposals confusing the name taking is confusing.
Speaker 3: You have to discuss it first. You're like, yeah, well.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, in both my relationships has been discussed, and I think it's very personal.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it does come down to I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, it's a very heterosexual thing to the man often gets his way and his name is carried on and the women have to forego their maiden name.
Speaker 3: Well, I because I kept my last name. So I got married to matt my husband a year and a half. His surname is Johnson, Maddie j Mattie Johnson. So we originally when he first proposed to me, he will fight this to the death. He'll say he never said this. When we first got engaged, he said how much it would have been to him if I was to take his name, and how he would find it a bit weird if I didn't. And now as times progressed, and every time I remind me of that, he's like, I never said that, that never happened.
Speaker 2: Barrass bless him.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't sound like that either.
Speaker 2: Just no, he doesn't.
Speaker 4: Not not to mock him on men, but for a lot of men, I mean, it's it's drilled into them, right, like their last name is a big part of their identity, and a lot of men it's very important to them.
Speaker 3: Well also, yeah, and I think for a lot of people it comes down to this idea of having a family unit where everyone has the same name. But I grew up in a family where there was lots of divorce. My mum has a different last name to me, My brother has a different last name to me, So it didn't seem quite as imperative from like a family unit perspective, but still, Laura Burn, I'm Laura Burn and the kids are the Johnsons. So my kids they've got a different last name to me. But we were talking about this recently. The discussion we were having is that if we have a third what would we name the.
Speaker 2: Third and can't add a third surname, or.
Speaker 3: Do we just give the middle name and make the middle name burn or make If it's a boy, maybe we can call the kid burn.
Speaker 2: You can't mate Burne Johnson. They're going to be Arsonists or Burne Johnson.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it's like they need a cream for that. That's something you need a cream.
Speaker 2: The most heavily before you Burne Johnson.
Speaker 3: Well, I came across these I came across an Instagram reel which really got me thinking. I think if you are in a relationship, if you're getting engaged and you're not sure whose last name you should take, I think it's okay to buck the trend and maybe we should be taking this advice. How to listen to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the most common questions that I get when people find out that I'm a woman who's married to a woman is how did you guys decide whose last name you were going to choose? And we did something that I think every couple should do straight or not, and that is pick the coolest last name. When I met my wife, her last name was white. You wanted us to be the white we already are. We don't need to reiterate that my last name is Belairs like the fresh Prince off. And some of you guys are giving up your last name to marry into a Smith.
Speaker 3: You're giving up your cool last name to be a Johnson, and your.
Speaker 5: Father's not even getting a goat, Like, I just feel like it's twenty twenty four unless your dad's getting a goat in exchange for the marriage, or you're marrying into some sort of royal and it's got some generational wealth like Kardashian attached to it. We should probably always be picking the cooler last name.
Speaker 2: That was straight at the end when he was a Johnson nake, Oh Johnson.
Speaker 3: I sent it to madd and he said, this is not actually that fight thirteen.
Speaker 4: If you're currently going through this situation, maybe we can help you and advise you as to maybe whose name you should take. But you're so right, Laurie. It feels like a real straight issue, like with the gays. I mean, we'll have a discussion. Our producer Grace just got married.
Speaker 2: Grace.
Speaker 3: We don't know yet. Are you going to do the coolest name? Well, we thought about that, but I'm very attached to my name. I think Grace Guard is a powerful name. What's Diana's last name? How cool? Also cool? But God is better single syllabink But Diana Gard just doesn't make sense for.
Speaker 2: Diana Dinah Guard sounds like dinosaur. Grace like dinosaur Dinah Guard like Diana.
Speaker 3: All right, let's help the nation out. Let's get some people on here who are in the.
Speaker 4: You make it out like we're doing God's work helping the nation.
Speaker 2: They're not mother to people don't know.
Speaker 3: It's very it's a very hard thing to navigate.
Speaker 4: Well, Vivian, it's called on thirteen one six five. What's going on with you? You're getting married? Are you're torn with the name taking situation?
Speaker 6: So I got married. We got married last years and then so we both kept our own last name, and there was a bit to it. We had a conversation about it, and it was an easy conversation anyway. I said, I wanted to keep my last name because my my dad's always asked me to keep the family's last name.
Speaker 3: As long as I can remember no brothers.
Speaker 6: Then no, it's not so much about a passing the last name on. He just wanted to keep like a part of family.
Speaker 2: Can I ask what it is? Is it a cool last name?
Speaker 6: I have an ethnic last name, so's twins, and then my husband is Caucasian Australian. So you're the Johnson?
Speaker 3: He said Johnson. See every Johnson who is listening to this is feeling personally victimized.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: In a row threena row that lady on Instagram.
Speaker 3: So I don't want I don't want the paperwork. Were you the same? I'm like the paperwork of changing your name just seems like it's so arduous.
Speaker 7: Yes, that as well.
Speaker 6: But speaking of paperwork, I'm a dentist, so my last name is on my graduations. Oh, yes, me as doctor when no one I.
Speaker 4: Don't want to jumps in my mouth, Actually no I do. Hey Amy on thirteen one O six five, Hello, what's going on with your situation?
Speaker 3: Amy?
Speaker 7: Hello, we're engaged. But it's like, do I change my name to his name so it's the same as our daughters, or do I keep mine? Because I think it flows?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your last name?
Speaker 7: Turner?
Speaker 3: And what's his last name? Luro? Amy? Luro Turner.
Speaker 2: Now Amyl is a good name. Lewis sounds like a magician. That would get.
Speaker 3: Sound bad, does it? They're both good names.
Speaker 2: It depends on what you do for work. Amy, she's a magician.
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, yeah, yes, that's what I'm going into events.
Speaker 4: Oh, Amy Luro events. That's brilliant. Although Amy Turner events will turn those events around.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like the fun. Also, Amy Turner just sounds more reliable. Amy Turner's gonna get the job done.
Speaker 4: Oh, Amy Turner would fix my sink in ten minutes, and I pay a full rates plus GST.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm all for I know it's controversial and still people feel differently about it, but I'm all for keeping your last name. I think it doesn't make you any less committed to your family. It makes you no less committed to your relationship. I'm sure there's plenty of men out there who are going to be like, I'll turn this wench off the radio, But I honestly, I just think it's It's okay.
Speaker 4: Hey men, women can be powerful. I have access to Laura's combank, and women can be powerful