Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload, the podcast past weep Aline. Welcome back guys to TV Reload. As you may know, my name is Benjamin Norris and this is your podcast to get all the inside goss on the popular TV shows you may be watching from around the world. Undeniably, our TV sets are a major part of our home entertainment, and yet very little is known about how our favorite shows get made. So each episode, I've been finding guests the want to dive just that little bit deeper into the shows they're currently making, so that you can hear all the exclusive stories and gain access to the biggest names in Australian television. I want to thank you for downloading or subscribing to this podcast TV Reload, however you've found it. I love hearing your feedback, so make sure you leave a review or a comment on your chosen podcast platform. This chat, I'm joined by Molly and Nick from f Boy Island and we're going to unpack one of the most explosive reality series ever made in this country. Molly joined two other single women tasks with the impossible job of sorting out who was an f boy and who was a nice guy and so over ten episodes, Australia fell in love with Nick, who wasn't a prick and got the nickname Big Dick Nick. This episode is for the fans of the Binge series and if you were easily offended you've probably.
Speaker 2: Just switched off anyway.
Speaker 1: But if you're sticking around, prepare to be well more offended. Please check out the show. If you didn't see it, it is as I said on Binge Australia, it isn't for the faint hearted. But along with host Abby Chadfield, this show I felt was a breath of fresh air in the dating reality space. I will ask Molly why she picked Nick over Vernon and if those nicknames lived up to the expectation. Nick will talk about the excruciating pain of watching Molly's unscreened but still.
Speaker 2: Audibly heard hookup with Vernon.
Speaker 1: We will get some exclusive news on whether or not there's going to be a season two, what these guys think of an f Girl Island, and what advice they have for producers rolling into a series two. Plus, we'll get plenty of exclusives from behind the scenes of Fby Ireland and which you can already watch as I mentioned on Binge and Foxtel. Anyway, let's bring Molly and Nick into the podcast. This is going to be a lot of fun and guys, I really hope you enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 2: How are you both? Are you all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We're both were.
Speaker 4: Trauma now.
Speaker 1: But other than that, what a wild ride this show was like. Had you both had any idea what you were signing yourselves up for when you said yes to doing.
Speaker 5: It, absolutely not. I think you know, there's any so much you can prepare yourself. I never even watched the US series of the show because I wanted to have my own experience. I definitely didn't expect to end up in a relationship. I hoped, but you know, with a lot of f boys being on there, you know, you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: You know, some producers will say, you know, if there has already been a franchise, you know it's been seen overseas, they'll say to people, don't watch the overseas version because you might kind of impersonate yourself for it might have effect the social experiment side of things. Did you both have that conversation with producers or do you make up your own minds not to watch it.
Speaker 3: His own minds. I mean, I didn't watch it just in case. I didn't want that to be what I was trying to I don't know, portray like or do you know, do the same thing that I've seen on an American version of the show. Like, I just wanted the show to be a whole, brand new experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that was my thing too. I wanted to kind of dive in.
Speaker 5: I think you can overanalyze things a lot and go in, you know, with all these plans and things, and it never really works out that way anyway. So yeah, I just wanted to have my own experience so decided not to. But also, I think up until now, up until now they put it on Binge, it was very hard to access as well.
Speaker 1: You did your parents or anyone say to you, maybe don't go on a show that's got like f boy on the title, Like, was there anyone saying that they had any hesitations about you doing it? My dad, Mollie, please tell me that your dad has not watched the show?
Speaker 5: God no, my parents fled to Europe, it was there any Well.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like this show broke a lot of ground in terms of shaking things up in the reality TV dating space. You know, we saw women like we've never seen women before. Why have we waited so long to see sex positive women being screened in a positive light.
Speaker 5: I think there's been a lot of changes probably over the last five or ten years in terms of women and women's sexuality and what we see, and I think, yeah, now is the time we kind of I think the really good thing about being on a streaming service is we were able to include a little bit more and things did get a little bit racier, but I think it was a better depiction of what dating actually looks like in the twenty first century, rather than just picnics and sunsets and a couple of glasses of champagne.
Speaker 3: There's a few of them.
Speaker 1: There was the things that you normally see on dating shows. But it felt like a punch in the face with some of the dialogue and some of the conversation. And that's so strange that we've felt like that watching the show, because they very like that's what we talk about, and that's how we talk in real world, Like that's what conversations happening. It just because we were so not used to seeing it on television. It felt like you were sort of being slapped around, which I've got to say, I really.
Speaker 4: Enjoyed like a good slapping around.
Speaker 2: As long as Nick Molly, as long as Nick's involved.
Speaker 1: Were there moments though, that either of you were particularly worried about, because you've obviously had the experience. They filmed it, and then it's going to be on television. People are going to watch this in the masses. Had you been worried about certain things that people are going to see?
Speaker 3: Not me that I all my scenes were pretty I was pretty happy with.
Speaker 4: So Bloody put Nick up on a pedestal. He was mister perfect.
Speaker 3: I was going a job.
Speaker 5: I think you never know how people are going to perceive you, and there's always going to be people that you know are your fans, and then people on the other hand who don't like you, which is just kind of, you know, what comes with the territory.
Speaker 4: So I was kind of ready for that. I honestly thought.
Speaker 5: There would have been a little bit more backlash or not hate, so to speak, but a few more kind of comments saying that they didn't like the racing nature of the show. So I was actually prepared for a bit more.
Speaker 1: What do people come up and say to you? Maybe, Nick, you know, what's the most common thing that people who are watching the show have come up and said you on the street.
Speaker 3: Look, everyone's just pretty positive. Like everyone just comes up and they're happy. They're like, oh my god, are you Nique? And then like, oh you Molly. They're just like no one has like no one wants to get you know, delved deep into like how is you know, how do you feel like about this certain situation? It's mostly positive unless you know and then maybe I guess people that know you on a more personal level, some people have asked like how did you deal with watching that? And like when you the whole experience was back in January, so that's three or four months ago. I was just getting to know Molly. We'd only been you know, I think on four dates in total on the Tea TV show. We really started dating getting to know each other once we got off the TV show and we got to see each other like every two weeks, not on camera, not in front of you know, the producers, and you know, away from away from the spotlight and just being together and yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you been hiding? Have you been told to not be in public. How have you tried to cover this up? You know until the finale was screened.
Speaker 5: Thankfully, unlike other shows, we had a very small time where we had to kind of hide away and keep our relationship because they edited the show really quick. So was fantastic for us because we didn't have to wait nearly as long. You know, some couples have to wait months before they you know, can be seen in public. So there's there's been times where you know, we've been in hoodies and caps and glasses picking each other up from the airport, or like I've come up to Sydney and just stayed even had to you know uber it's copies and things because they couldn't go out and get one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, thankfully it wasn't too long for us.
Speaker 1: And then Nikki, your parents or your friends or family, you know, did they watch the show? And I mean we just mentioned it before you did get sort of put on a pedestal and shown very well. But what were they all saying about your time on the show.
Speaker 3: So, I mean they've been also supportive of it. We always have a viewing at my cousin's house every Monday. Everyone comes over friend's family. Obviously it's a character that's portrayed in that there is definitely truth behind it. I am a nice guy and I am like that. The violin music, I don't know where that came from, but my family loved that and they thought it was so funny.
Speaker 1: All of that editing was so funny, you know, first to watch, I mean, I don't necessarily think you'd be as goofy as that. Like, I felt like some of those shots of you sort of giggling to yourself kind of got replayed a little bit, which I'm going to say I was there for Molly. Is Nick the real deal, though, because I feel like I've watched this show and I don't know what's been made of him to be kind of goofy. Has that been staged or does Australia have a good sense of who he is?
Speaker 5: I think deep down he's an absolute sweet But I think I even questioned at the start, I was like, this guy, he can't be a nice guy. He's too bloody handsome, like he's he's here, you know, to get his blue teeth on Instagram and I definitely judged him to begin with. But no, he is the caddle where he loves the cuddle and he has a.
Speaker 4: Heart of gold.
Speaker 5: Although you know he's not probably as perfect as pictured on the show, he's pretty.
Speaker 1: Close to I want to ask about those nicknames in a second, but Nick, I have to ask you about something, and that is you know this series, they sort of play men to either be a nice guy or an F boy. I kind of feel like we could be both. Like what do you think can't we be a little bit of both? Like is it right that we can be classified as one or the other?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I going to agree with you. Like it's self proclaimed. They tried to divide people, but it's not like you're either an F boy or a nice guy. You're always You're always a bit of a mix. You know, at different times or maybe in your periods of your life you might have been an F boy. You might have been, But you can tell when you meet a nice guy. There's certain values that a nice guy will have. And after meeting all the F boys on the show and the ones that you knew, for example, Caleb, you can just tell that, like he could be a nice guy eventually somewhere down the track. But just I don't know, if you know he's hurt or he's not emotionally available right now, Like there's obviously something going on his life, So it's always a bit of there could be a bit of trauma there too. It's not as cutthroat as you're either an f boy or you're a nice guy.
Speaker 1: I think you could have a spinoff series Nick, where you you know, kind of like what Abbi Chadfield was doing, and you can teach them like take them on the road to recovery and how they can see the light and become a nice guy.
Speaker 3: I'd love to do that. I would watch Nick.
Speaker 1: There's some pretty big questions left in the finale. But and I know that everyone has been talking about this. We have to talk about these nicknames, Cuddle Bet and Big Dick, Nick Molly, those nicknames. Does Nick live up to those nicknames?
Speaker 4: Look? Who has exceeded expectations?
Speaker 2: Glad to hear it all day, guys.
Speaker 1: Knowing that I was going to talk to the two of you, and knowing how many people spoke to me and said you need to ask that question, I felt sick in my stomach, like I actually feel like I could be myself now. But if I didn't ask that question, people would be like, you didn't ask the most important question, and then other people would be like you are a sick, perverted idiot, like what is wrong with you?
Speaker 3: I was very surprised when she said that name.
Speaker 4: I think it was one of the crew that told me that.
Speaker 5: Really, I'm not sure how that yeah got around town to begin with, but what was definitely an interesting nickname there was.
Speaker 3: I was room with a lot of the footy boys in the house. Yeah, and I think it's just a normal thing that I guess you just walk around naked when you're showering, getting ready and stuff. So how it came to big dick nick, I don't know, but had a good bring to it.
Speaker 2: You're okay with it, You're all right.
Speaker 1: And then with the finale, so Vernon really got stitched up in that finale. Have you spoken to him since? Because it was brutal, like he walked out, tried to hug Abby Chadfield, she shunned him. Everyone kind of thought he was a moron. Have you both been in contact with him since?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've definitely both chatted to Vernon, and I think there's no hard feelings on either side. It was it was only you know, probably two and a half three weeks that I spent with Vernon wasn't enough time for me to be, you know, scarred for life over what happened. And I knew that Vernon would kind of take it in his stride as well.
Speaker 4: He's a pretty easy going bloke. I think it was just happy to be there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we're definitely you know, spoken to him and you know, no hard feelings on either side.
Speaker 1: We'll just information that you probably both don't need to know. But Nick, sorry about this, but my partner and I we were either team Nick or team Vernon, and I was Nick, so you're welcome. He was team Vernon and he was very upset that Molly, you didn't go with Vernon. I was like, I couldn't see it. Didn't.
Speaker 4: People either get the appeal or they don't at all.
Speaker 1: But how did the decision to bring his ex girlfriend Brogan or whatever is that even a real name into the finale? Like, Molly, did you make that decision with a producer that maybe we should contact her or we should look into the social media.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know how that.
Speaker 1: Big reveal which made the finale what it was, How did that all come together?
Speaker 5: I think we had already accessed the boys social media during one of the group dates, and it just kept coming back that you know, Vernon had gotten rid of his girlfriend to come on the show.
Speaker 4: So it's just a matter of yeah, thanks Mitch, Mitch.
Speaker 5: So it was just a matter of kind of change to producers me like, hey, can I have a phone and to have a bit of a look. Very easy to find Brogan on Instagram, just going through Vernon's friends and then you know, typing in her name and then contacting her, and thankfully she was happy enough to first of all have a conversation with me and then to actually come and turn up to the finale.
Speaker 4: I think took a lot of balls.
Speaker 2: It was such good television.
Speaker 1: Like as in normally, like dating shows, you've got the reveal as to whether or not people getting together. This just was like, you know, shock revelation after shock revelation, and it broke round because we have heard of people or characters outside of the storylines that are being built that you never get to see unless they, you know, turn up on an unsolicited podcast. You know, you just would never get to hear their side of the story. So the fact that we watched that happen was magic television.
Speaker 5: Turns out that I don't like any of the rules, and I vote your guys off and then brought them back and then brought the ex misses only.
Speaker 1: Do you think, though, that he's learned his lesson out of this, Like, do you think being sort of shunned like that or shamed like that? Do you think that that will have changed who he is and how he approaches women.
Speaker 5: I think he's always going to be a pretty jovial, fun loving guy. I think he means well a lot of the time, but just doesn't really think things through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it definitely will.
Speaker 5: And I know he's in a new relationship now and so definitely wish him all the best with that.
Speaker 3: But she seems to be going well. Like from what I knew, I thought he was a really nice guy. Now, Yeah, obviously didn't get to watch the IVS until everyone else did. But you know, I, like you said before, it's sort of it's a mix. You're not really one or the other. Like, he does have nice guy traits, so you know he's not going to change. He is who he is. But he seems to be happy in his relationship at the moment, and I wish him the best.
Speaker 2: I like that you're talking about the ivs.
Speaker 1: You know, these piece to cameras, you know that people get to see, and you probably were a little bit shocked about that. But Nick, how uncomfortable was it watching the unseen but audibly heard hookup between Molly and him? Like, did you leave the room? Did Molly prepare you for it? I just want to know, because I'm a sick o what that experience was, Like.
Speaker 3: A, yeah, look, I mean I knew after the show. Molly obviously told me about it. Yeah, I'm glad she didn't tell me during the show because I just would have been I don't know, mentally, wouldn't have been there, you.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be on a podcast together. I just feel like that's the case. You know, he's got some social intelligence, and she knows that for things to work out, she's going to have to tell you the truth eventually.
Speaker 3: So it was good that you did tell me. But there's one It's the difference between hearing it and then seeing it. You know, at the same time, Man and Molly were just dating at that point, so we've been on to two hour dates or something like that. We'll getting to know each other. But it's nothing like you wouldn't do in you know, the real world when you're dating, you know, and trying to find a partner. I know it was on a TV show and you know, the whole of Australia got to see it.
Speaker 2: But but isn't that so strange Again we come back to this thing.
Speaker 1: You know. Maybe it's because we were brought up watching Disney movies where we thought that romance was this beginning in the middle and an end. But that just isn't the case, and it never has been. Like if you're going to be a single man or a single girl and you're out in the world, you know, you may be on a dating someone for a few weeks and then go to a nightclub and kiss someone else, you know what I mean, Like you're not expected to be Prince Charming, nor are you supposed to be Cinderella in the real world just doesn't play like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think if roles were reversed and I was in an exposition, I wouldn't love it.
Speaker 4: But he has been a very good sport about it.
Speaker 2: Good to hear, that's all I want to know.
Speaker 1: We did talk about some of the criticisms that people may have had and you were saying that, you know, you really didn't see too much of that. I read some stuff about Abby Chadfield being a little bit too involved. I personally loved it and thought probably one of the best TV presenting jobs I've ever seen done, especially seeing that she was relatively new to it. But how did it feel while production was going, like, while you're filming that and she was sort of getting involved in the d and having very strong opinions whilst hosting some of those eliminations, was it uncomfortable or were you like, go Abby, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: I thought it was absolutely hilarious. I loved her involved.
Speaker 3: I thought she was great in it.
Speaker 5: I think it was good to have, you know, somebody who had authority on the show who also had your back. So we knew at the end of the day, as you know, the girls on the show, that if something was going wrong or one of the boys was arcing up, Abby would kind of have our back and support us through that. So I think her involvement was was really good, and you know, part of what made a very successful show was her being there and actually being involved.
Speaker 3: I think it was a bit different having a host too that doesn't just explain the premise or explain something, also gets to have an opinion on what she thinks. It was a lot of fun that Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's amazing, you know. I mean I've been thinking for years, imagine if Sophie Monk, you know, basically said to one of the contestants being a bit of a dick. You know, she never was allowed to say that, So the show never really progressed beyond what we've seen in a reality TV space. Mind you, I do love that show, but I just felt like having the opportunity for Abby to be on the ground floor, interacting with people and not holding back opinion just offered a completely different dimension to the series.
Speaker 2: Should they do a series two? And should they do it with F Girls?
Speaker 4: I've had the American version.
Speaker 5: Whether they're doing an F Girl Island, which I think will be hilarious.
Speaker 3: I think they definitely should, and I think I should be the host.
Speaker 2: Just I think Abby could still be the host.
Speaker 1: Neck It's fine, the job's not off on the table yet, but I just sort of feel like it's a really good opportunity for us to be able to see, you know, because there can be f F girls out there, like you know, it would be nice to be able to see how F girls behave and you know, to be portrayed the same way that we saw these men. You know, back in the day there was a horrible name about women that would sleep around or you know, be sex positive.
Speaker 2: That's out the windows.
Speaker 1: So what an amazing social experiment that I think the producer did a good job of.
Speaker 2: This could take on absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, Warner Brothers did a really good job of producing this show. And you know, if there was an option to F girl and I think it would be pretty good viewing, I'd watch it.
Speaker 1: I'd watch it, and could do you think Sophie Because now Sophie, we've heard, is now single, so her romance hasn't worked out. Sophie could go in as a nice girl and that could be the follow through.
Speaker 5: You know, it would absolutely have to be a nice girl though, because there is no bad bone in that girl's body.
Speaker 4: She is as sweet as pie.
Speaker 5: I was known for being the more cut of the girls, but Sophie is just beautiful. So she would definitely be a nice girl. And hopefully, whether it's on another TV show or whether it's in real life.
Speaker 4: You know, she can find her person.
Speaker 5: But I know she's pretty happy just being her self and focusing on her career at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did she go back and reinvest in any of those boys from the show or she washed her hands with the whole thing?
Speaker 4: I don't know about reinvesting.
Speaker 2: No, I imagine those relationships. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't believe.
Speaker 5: So she's got some pretty beautiful friendships as well as with us girls.
Speaker 4: But no, I don't think she's dabbled in that.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, that sounds great.
Speaker 1: My next question was about asking are you guys really still together? And the best thing about me having that question there is that I don't need to ask it because just watching the two of you today, this is a podcast, so people can't see you. You can see that chemistry there, so it's kind of a bit redundant.
Speaker 4: No, it's all acting. I really hate him.
Speaker 1: I'm in a way it needs some good acting. So you know, if you guys are acting and pulling the wool over me, maybe there's a job.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's definitely not my forte.
Speaker 1: I just love that you couldn't hide how you felt like whether you know, just just the Molly, just the way you were on that show just felt so real and felt like the people that I'm friends with in the real world. And it was just so refreshing to watch.
Speaker 5: Because I can't act, and I could be nothing but myself because my act thing is awful.
Speaker 1: Well, before you go, what is something from behind the scenes, something that we didn't see, kind of maybe like a behind the scenes secret. Probably don't have to give the whole thing away, but maybe just something funny that happened that we didn't get to see on the show.
Speaker 5: I mean that the best, but definitely there were lots of kind of little cute moments behind the camera that you didn't get to see. There was a couple of sneaky kisses between Nick and I that weren't kind of captured in between takes, you know, walking on and off.
Speaker 4: Into into the kind of dat and things, as well as.
Speaker 3: Oh they didn't video when they did video that they didn't put it in there. On our first date, when we're doing the camera riding our entrance, I actually tripped on a vine coming down the beach.
Speaker 4: It was a bit nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was hoping they didn't put that in there.
Speaker 2: But they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I would say that I was hoping that, I mean kind of would have gone with the lovable Alarachan that you kind of came across as like. I don't think that trip would have been a bad idea. I think they should have put that in. I think that's a missed opportunity.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, it was pretty cute. He was almost ten over heels and love straightaway.
Speaker 1: Well, guys, thank you so much for your generosity and unpacking some of the show with me. Huge fan, and I thought you both did such a fantastic job, and how amazing that you've both walked out of it with some money and some love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thank you.