Speaker 1: Sure, it's weird. Did you see during the week Trevor Long was found in a park shirtless fighting with Carl Stefanovic.
Speaker 2: And I did hear about that?
Speaker 1: Actually, I mean, Trevor Long is going to be here in this studio talking about what was that friggin' um what was that lgb Q pageant?
Speaker 2: He went to what's that the one you hosted? Didn't you do commentary for one of those?
Speaker 1: That was a that was the Australian Cheerleading Championships?
Speaker 2: That that won't be happening again. I sort of read some great feedback we got ye please, So after we revealed our legal issues with a certain a certain company, a certain companies and podcast previously known as Yes Yes, Yes anyway, we got some really good feedback. So some new comments that have come through on Apple podcasts. Thank you for leaving these best car podcast Not my words are the words of Josh nine eight three zero three. Thanks you absolutely love the podcast. The boys are fantastic, clearly better than any other Aussie car related podcast. Hey again, not my words, I.
Speaker 1: Mean if the charts were to go by, Yeah, we're not just like the greatest here in Australia.
Speaker 2: The UK are.
Speaker 1: Listening to a shout out to you guys, you Africa, South Africa and ladies and gentlemen. We are now the second biggest car podcast in South Korea.
Speaker 2: I've always said it.
Speaker 1: I've always said my good friends in South Korea.
Speaker 2: I love kim Chi.
Speaker 1: I love what's that letters called?
Speaker 2: That's kim Chi kim cheesus.
Speaker 1: I thought you were talking about that emperor.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about anyway.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a politician.
Speaker 2: So the corn guy, Thank you, good music, the best common podcast out there. Comedy podcast again not my words, makes me laugh every episode and sometimes they even get to a car review. And then this one came through, which we're gonna have to Trevor about. The title is wow, that's terrible accurate so far this is I don't have a problem with that. Barry is zero one, nine seventy okay, very unique name, he wrote. I heard of this show recently, so I listened to the episode with Trevor Long. I'm not sure who Gordy Waters is, but it was not all that funny, just poor humor. I watched some of Paul's car reviews thank you, and they are good. Thank you. So I assumed this would be a podcast version if that, but it's really not. What's this guy's name, Barry zero one nine seventy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Barry. If you wanted an audio version of a man in a sensible pair of slacks with shoes from Rivers and a fucking T shirt that's a little bit too small, then with all due respect, go fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the show, we've got some emails to read out as well, because we've got a stack of those that I haven't really replied to you yet, so I've just left it for the show. So right, anyway, let's do some news on hopefully Treviton.
Speaker 1: Thank you for telling us what's coming up on the show. You're very professional today, Paul Paolo, You're very professional.
Speaker 2: Racist.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I love you. By the way, I'm starting to call you Pallo for now on.
Speaker 2: It's given. That's not my name, it's power, but no, you just pronounce it however you like.
Speaker 1: Sorry badly, you know I do you know how I found out your real name.
Speaker 2: Was a legal letter.
Speaker 1: It was like, okay, so I'm being sued, But who the fuck is pavl Merrek? Who's Pavlo Marrek, there must be a mistake.
Speaker 2: The backstory to that is my actual name is Pavlet, and the reason I use Paul is because people like Gordy can't pronounce it. And I went to a very very very very low rent public primary school and it was full of all right heartbreak high anyway, basically we all went to a low rent public school. No, no, this one was the type where it should have metal detectors, but it didn't at the time.
Speaker 1: Anyway, get your school bag burnt, good lunchtime. There's Paul's Little Angela's ashes sub story. And now look at you. Now, So hey, let's get into some car news, because we're a car podcast, remember that. So this is interesting and I can't really don't really get the mats on this. You you were in the hallway and you're telling me, Hey, you know what's interesting that we should talk about, And I said, no, please tell me, and you said, use. Car prices are down by ten percent, but still fifty percent higher than they were three years ago, pretty covid.
Speaker 2: And I went past me that full fat coke.
Speaker 1: And that full fat donner and I'll get back to you.
Speaker 2: Let me explain this. So there's a there's a research firm out there called Moody's. And I was going to say, Nick, give my wife, but I'm not going to say that this Moody's, but she listened to this podcast. I'm not going to say the mood is. So what they've found, and they've been tracking the used car price index, is that since COVID started, used car prices peaked roughly midway through last year twenty twenty two. They're now up by a little over fifty percent in terms of the wholesale price of used cars. That's on the way down now, So it has peaked and it's now coming back down. And the big advantage of that is that that has a flow on effect and new cars as well, because as interest rates go up, people start canceling new car orders and moving to the second hand market. The second hand market then becomes cheaper, but because you don't have as much flow on too, that.
Speaker 1: It almost somewhat starts to correct itself.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, so they reckon. There's probably still another ten percent to come out of it this year, but it will still be higher than pre COVID levels, so we will still be paying more, and we are seeing some examples out there of people paying ten grand for a ten year old car for their kid that's done two hundred thousand k's and that's just insane because ten grand used to buy like a low mileage Master two, which is a car you'd have your child in. So yeah, I think that it is getting better, but it is still way too expensive. And my advice is be careful what you're buying secondhand, because a car that you're paying fifty percent more for now, in two or three years time, when this level's out, you're not going to be able to get that fifty percent back on what it would have already depreciated between now and then. So and that applies also to electric cars that a lot of model threes have been dumped on the market, and if you end up with one of those.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you they are not cheap enough, like they need to just plummet.
Speaker 2: Because but that's what's happening in the States. You're seeing the prices come out of the new teslas. That's affecting the second hand right yeah, well here as well, But the problem is the secondhand one. Some of the cheaper ones have sixty eighty one hundred thousand k's on them, and as a result of that, you're buying one now because you think it's a bargain. As battery technology advances, in two or three years time, you've got a plasma TV whenever ones using LED TVs that you paid too much for because you use car prices were up and the batteries next to useless compared to the new stuff on the market.
Speaker 1: So personally, because I looked into this, I looked at buying secondhand a secondhand ev I just I'm now well clear of it. I will not touch it. I'm not touching it because it's not worth it. Also, like we're starting to kind of really realize the degeneration of what these batteries are doing in say a Tesla after a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Like, look that I'm not so concerned about that. Some will degrade more than others depending on the type of driving and charging that you're doing. It's more just that you've got an outdated thing that really can't be fixed unless you replace the battery. That is the core thing that's outdated, that is where the majority of the cost is. And if you think about a traditional internal combustion cars, they have technical advances every now and then, but it doesn't make your vehicle I'm not gonna say obsolete, but far less good, you know, compared to the rest of them. So I think that's probably just something i'd be weary of on the seat can hand market. And also just buying yourself a lemon that's going to cost you a heap of money if you're paying more for it. Now, you're going to tip more money into it to fix it, and then it's going to be worth virtually nothing in two or three years time when you factor in all the money you've spent on it. So if you can buy a new car because you're covered by a new car warranty.
Speaker 1: But I was going to say, you know what's interesting, the best deal you can get is a new car. Like if you're looking for a cheap car for your grandma or your kid or a run around town, and you're looking at say an MG three, right, you're paying like seventeen grand And let's.
Speaker 2: Not get out aboutselves.
Speaker 3: What do you mean.
Speaker 4: Of those?
Speaker 2: What do you mean I'll recommend one.
Speaker 1: Well, there's people out there that need a car. Look, I don't care, I'm just using them as in grample Jesus Christ. My point is moody, like, what's affordable is a brand new car over the over the second hand ones? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The point of that is right, and that's the thing. I know that some cars like Arab four two year weight whatever, you might not want to wait for one of those. But if it means you buy one of these Chinese SUVs, you're getting a seven yu warranty. It'll depreciate probably a whole lot more than the Red four will. But ultimately you're not doing what you're going to do on the second hand market, which is buying a car that's potentially out of warranty or nearly out of warranty, and then you go to sell it without warranty. It's then not really going to be worth much. So I think it is just worth keeping that in mind on used cars. So my tuned out, Yeah, I noticed.
Speaker 1: I'm basically waiting for Trev to come in here because I'm going to wait to see who passes more gas mel Trev.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to China?
Speaker 1: Yes? I have?
Speaker 2: Interesting Where did you go?
Speaker 1: Did you say China or Vagina? What's your point?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Did you know that Chinese car exports to Australia are up by six hundred percent over the past four years. Controversially, we are slapped with a lot of tariffs and other stuff from China, but we are buying more Chinese made vehicles than ever before, like a lot more, and a lot of that comes down to Tesla as well. Some people don't know that you're Tesla's China Chinese. Matter of fact, we made in China. So I don't have an issue with it, because you know, I use a phone that's probably made I think iPhone's made in China. We buy a lot of products that are made in China. But I just thought it was an interesting thing. A lot of people don't actually think about that when they're buying their car, and a lot of people I love in the comments they jump up and down about the you know, the influx of cars that are coming from China. But what does it actually mean and what is the problem with it? I guess is my question.
Speaker 1: Is there a problem with it?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but a lot of commenters seem to think there is.
Speaker 1: I'm just Daniel, he's commenting on it. What's the problem? Oh, you know what, I know, I know who you're saying, I know you're talking about that sort of that demographic of people who are like, you're.
Speaker 4: Buying a bloody Chinese cat, They're fucking horrible. I tell you what else is horrible, bloody race Rand, We're going to fucking cornella on that thing. It's bloody horrible. And tell you what else is horrible. I've got a terrible bell situation. I got it back from when I came back from Vietnam. I'm so lonely, you know what. I think I might comment on the Drivers Show podcast and Shay how read it out again.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that sort of people, I think so so Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was an interesting stat The other thing as well, is that when your car comes from China, it is cheaper to build, typically depending on where it's it's manufactured. And because of the amount of goods that come from China, the economies of scale are there to ship it here for cheaper.
Speaker 1: And they can generally get it here quicker like a lot of Chinese manufacturers are delivering the goods by.
Speaker 2: D Yeah, and Tesla has been reducing their prices globally on the to as demand tapers off, and I think that's just showing you, there is a lot of margin in cars, especially these cars that are built in China, and that perhaps other brands have a lot to answer for. They've been jacking their prices up during COVID under the auspice of semiconductor shortages, shipping costs. It's like Quantus. Every time there's some fuel price surge, they go, oh, we've got to put that up. It never comes back down. And it's the same story here with new cars. We're really not seeing them reducing price as quickly as we've seen them going up in price, even though market conditions far more favorable.
Speaker 1: So do you think Tesla's in a concerning place right now? Because I feel like there could be a little bit of who are on the horizon. At one point they kind of had the monopoly, and now a lot of these car companies are really sort of catching up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is something I'll be keen to ask Trevor if he actually comes in. But I think Tesla there the current market cap of that company is four hundred and eighteen billion dollars. Now Tesla really only well, they didn't actually make that many cars. If you look at the major car brands out there, they make roughly give or take a similar amount of cars to Ford on just one model. So Ford makes around a midion F one fifties a year. Tesla manufacturers around a million new cars a year. Yet they're valued at many multiples above Ford. The reason for that is it's valued as a tech company because of the promise of things to come for Tesla in terms of autonomy and stuff. But ultimately we're seeing a lot of that stuff really isn't working that well. At the moment. The share price is rebounding a little bit, but with Elon Musk busy doing other stuff at the moment, I just think that they really need to get their act together and get on with it. Their concept of having a car that looks the same on the outside but is updated on the inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's redundant.
Speaker 2: I just don't think that'll work when I see so many model wires out there, and in fact, I'm writing a story at the moment about my model why, which we'll talk about on the next episode. But they are everywhere. They like the new camera, and each time I see one, I think, God, the thing is ugly. So I tried to tell you, when you're inside it, you don't notice, but when you see it, you're like, it's really not a nice looking car.
Speaker 1: But it's like my ex girlfriend. I mean, when I was inside it, I didn't notice.
Speaker 2: But Jesus Christ, oh, I see someone at the front door. Oh who's that? I don't know, but the imposing figure, I think that might be Trevor.
Speaker 3: To get him.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's Trevor.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I think that's my divorced accountant who has a drinking problem. And I think he did the tax return on the bonnet of his car. It gets actually, and then he just he just ashed out of dart on the windscreen of his car, and oh no, wait, that is Trevor. Come on in, Trevor.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed how out of focus gord he is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually said that to him. His picture is very pixelated, and that often happens with photoshop when you try and sort of horizontally shrink things.
Speaker 3: So I'm just distracted. A note. I heard of this show recently, listening to the episode with Trevor Long. I'm not sure who Gordy Waters is, but not at all funny, just poor humor. I watched some of Paul's reviews and they're good. I assume this would be a podcast version of that, but it's.
Speaker 1: Really not well played.
Speaker 2: That's a recent review on this show.
Speaker 3: Yes, getting injured, You.
Speaker 1: Did that really well. We actually, honestly I read that and I thought this stinks of Trevor Long.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just going to say this right now to Barry one nine seven reach out FM dot com. I'll send you some merchandise. Man, that's a great review.
Speaker 1: Send your merchandise yourself, alright, I'll send him a was your Christmas party? By the way? Was it was?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Just you go out with yourself on the photo.
Speaker 3: You know when you're you know, just kiss your kiss your hand, just really tongue right in the Handez, there is no one else.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a little bit of an audio description of how that would?
Speaker 3: I'm not doing it again.
Speaker 1: Do it again?
Speaker 3: You missed your opportunity. Isolate the audio, work it out.
Speaker 2: Wow. How is your Chris?
Speaker 1: He's already tech flex He's come back from his little cees or whatever, some bloody some gang bang in Germany?
Speaker 3: Where'd you go to Germany? That's sorry? In Berlin in September right, Barcelona is mobile will Congress ces is in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: In Vegas. You've come back from Vegas.
Speaker 3: Back from Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you get those you know, those little hooker cars on the street.
Speaker 3: You know they don't have them anymore. That was I always that wastwhere. Now there's people walking around with big thirty two inch screens on their back with a QR code. Oh really, I'm thinking this is not Vegas. Come on, but then it is Vegas because it's just more screens.
Speaker 2: Well, can I just share very quickly one of the a story about those cards. When I was there with some mates. Probably she wasn't what she said she was going to do it six years.
Speaker 1: Ago, all work up with a basoline on his butt.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the guys I was with, got a bit hammered and he accepted one of the cards, and they said, well you'll get free entry, free drinks, and free transfers to the to the club club and anyway, We're like, okay, let's do this. And I said to the guys, this will not be free. I guarantee it. And the limo rolled up and it was some blokes old suv. We all pile into this thing and arrive at the club and the guy goes, who's got my tip? And I said tip. The guy told us it was free, and he goes, no, you need to give me a tip, and I said, okay, how much do I give you? Guys? About one hundred dollars. I'm like, I literally could have charted a private jet to get you for cheaper. Went inside, the drinks were not free, and the club patrons were not very nice.
Speaker 1: That were criminals and.
Speaker 3: Bikes at the door. You should have been a dead giveaway.
Speaker 2: No, Donald was not there.
Speaker 1: You're at the top of the stairs looking down like, what is that a canoe?
Speaker 2: Down?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Top it?
Speaker 3: They're like, whatever you've just heard was not We just heard that's been hited out.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's talk c Yes, Trevor Long's here, everybody in the flesh, and I honestly thank you for not glassing me. That's a plus. I can't promise the same back.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean smashing in the face with the bottle. Yeah, the day.
Speaker 1: There's a reason why we've got class.
Speaker 3: It's like going to the cricket. You can't take glass anywhere.
Speaker 2: No, I'm interested. BMW prior to See Yes, started doing a whole bunch of advertising on their Twitter that was random stuff about a new service they were launching. Can you run me through what D is or I still don't understand what that's to be.
Speaker 3: He's a concept car. I'm going to say design. No, I can't remember what it stands for, but design emotion something like that. Right. Do you remember last year they had a concept car that was black and white changing color. It was like a kindle e ink but all over it and you could change the color from one. It looks pretty cool, but it looked horrible within about a meter and a half, it just looked terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that was the sort of car that it's cool that they came up with the concept and that they've sort of executed it. But you know, the triangles and stuff with the like, you could really sort.
Speaker 3: Of it was a great way to get attention, which is important at a show like CS. There's I always describe CS as being about nine mcg's field space worth of just place to walk around and show like it's not empty, its exhibits all that space. It's crazy, so you've got to get attention, right.
Speaker 1: Was it like your sex bow kind of just you know.
Speaker 3: Bigger, that's all yeah, they always want bigger. Anyways, the color changing car was cool, but it was it was just, you know, some sort of random car. They code it so D is a proper concept car and sense that it's a new new look.
Speaker 2: I've got a bit.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the car?
Speaker 2: It looks like a Tarana.
Speaker 3: It looks like a modern Tarana, and I'm like, I would buy this tomorrow if it was a real car full stop, as a as a body design, you know, as a piece of automotive design. I went, geez, if that is your new look, I'm all in.
Speaker 2: Because that's the thing they look at. The moment they look at the moment is a bit kind of well you.
Speaker 3: May know about this, but I first i'd heard it. They call it a Neier class, which assume means new class. But twenty twenty five there's a new class, which I assume is a new design language and all that kind of stuff. So there was two of them, there, two of these Tarana looking cars.
Speaker 1: You reckon that looks like a Tarana.
Speaker 3: May get a rear court view, that side on view, and I think a rear court of view it made, and also size wise, that's a rear we need a rear quarter. Come on, mate, come on, it's his first day.
Speaker 1: It's his first day.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 3: It's just a smaller.
Speaker 1: It still doesn't look like yes.
Speaker 3: But you don't look like you're in focus in any of the images either. We can move on anyway like a tech review guy.
Speaker 1: But that's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm still doing it. There's two of these cars, right. One of them is pure white with yellow wheels. The other one is fancy color changes and it's it's cool again, but it's thirty two colors this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 3: Now I've got to say, you know, going from red to white to whatever, very cool. But then it in there, let's call it a three minute loop of colors that we just go through. There was one where it was white with like an M stripe in a blue and a red stripe, and I went that that's what I do. I drive a blue car every day, and then i'd go for the weekends. It's going to be you know, I thought was cool, but still up close, not overly impressive as a technology. So I think the color changing stuff, forget all that for a minute. You get inside it and it's all about, you know, a journey, you know, you've got to sign up for a freaking avatar, and you've got to create a cartoon that books. Like you walk up to the car, it says welcome. Trevor and I went.
Speaker 1: The first person who said.
Speaker 3: In the room, and I'm like, I here my name, so and on the on the window you're standing outside the car. On the window, the driver's window is your cartoon avatar. It says welcome, your name and everything. So it's kind of cool. And I'm thinking, is this you know digital glass something. It's just projectors. There's just little projectors in the anyway. So you sit down, you sit in and then they've got this whole virtual experience. Now what I took from it was that they want metaverse and all that other bullshit that people are talking about. But the real technology here was the head up display.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest See that.
Speaker 3: Biggest head up display I think today would probably be in Murk, you know, have they have a reasonable size one. If you put it in front of it's like a small tablet. Let's say on the screen, this is full width and half height, because you're never really looking over half height.
Speaker 2: As in over on the passenger side.
Speaker 3: The whole width of the dashboard is hud and half the height is potentially hard and it's look they really I think they stuffed up badly because they talked about things like social media. No one wants to hear about that it's going to ruin the concept, but that there's no screens at all in this car, No dash screen, no infertainment screen. It's all meant to be on the window.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: They said to me, this now broad This technology will be in the new class twenty twenty five BMW's I don't imagine it will be as intense as this, but I totally believe that they'll. They'll do the full projection. And the thing that I think was most impressive was not just your speed looks better because it's bigger, and it's not a tiny little fucking display that you can't quite see if you're off angle. It's just things like navigation. You get that all me to reality navigation, which was saying you, well, this is like drawn on the road. Imagine you're driving along the freeway and the road it looks normal through the vision, but then suddenly the road becomes a blue or a yellow line which shows you which exit to take, as if it's on the road in front of you. It does look cool, and when you can use the whole screen, it looks so much better for the driver.
Speaker 1: I reckon it'll freak people out. I don't think it's for everyone.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is. But then, okay, think about Warnings. The other demo that they did before they went into the metaverse and I tuned out and started to feel sick, was warnings. So you've got some idiot cyclist coming down the right hand side from a side street. It's coming into your lane. You might have senses on a car now that beep a bit or something, right, this thing kind of the whole bottom of the windscreen flashes red, you know, collision alerts, and the cyclist is highlighted by a red square, and it follows them in augmented reality as well, being warned like I prefer a target, but that will get the going.
Speaker 1: But just looking for channel email again, I'm going to send straight to it, throwing him under the that stuff.
Speaker 3: That stuff's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you can nail it, yeah, exactly, that's the hard bit. And I think that you mentioned there about the lanes that tech. They've started rolling that out now. We recently drove the EQSSUV that will actually tell you which lane you're in on the freeway, which then helps you dictate where the EXOD is if you then add this in as well, where you actually have it overlaid on the screen in front of you, it is useful information. My concern though, and I'm keen to get your both of your views on this. Tesla was pushing hard for full self driving and autonomy and that sort of stuff. We've seen countless videos on the Internet of it not working, and previously they were only manually allowing people that they knew would be favorable. They let other people in and then all the negative stuff started coming out. Over Christmas they rolled out a free enhanced auto pilot thing for owners. I tested it. It was the shittest thing I've ever tested to change lanes like I was at Albert Park, Like Grand Prix was crazy. Do you think that the glosses wearing off that we're seeing manufacturers kind of stepping back a little from that hands off driving in and around the city. I think maybe highways that all work in the future, But do you reckon there will be a future where you can get into a car and it will confidently drive around a school zone and not run into something that shouldn't run into.
Speaker 3: The first CSO went to was twenty twelve, and I remember going to Lexus and all these There was a lot more car companies there back then, but there was a lot of talk of autonomy, and I remember I think it was a guy a Lexis was saying, we're still fifteen years away, you know, trying to put a damper on it. I don't remember anyone talking about it this year. Now there's a lot of companies Slidar and all that stuff on the floor trying to sell it. But it's not like Mercedes wor BMW from you know what. I can remember just you know, sitting in cars and looking at stuff. We're really talking about autonomy. They're talking more about the experience, Yes, exactly, we're talking more about the experience. I mean the best example of that is Ford. By twenty twenty one will be selling the mass productiononymous vehicles.
Speaker 2: I wrote in Detroit it was sick, but it.
Speaker 3: Never happened, and it only worked in that one little Yeah, exactly. I don't know what Gord are you are fair? You have thought? Do you think it's coming.
Speaker 1: I think we are a long way off from this, a long way. I think it's also a lot to do with social kind of change as well. I think this is going to take a lot of convincing to people. The augmented reality stuff. I just think it's going a bit too overboard. I get some of it in my car a little bit, and I just get it turned off. My question is when does the driver's feel of the car going to change? Because that will happen, and that's going to happen over time, because right now, a lot of it's intuition, do you know what I mean? And a lot of stuff is kind of taking over.
Speaker 3: I think that and this is the bubble we live in, you way more than us. But you don't realize how much of that already exists in a car. You know, you get people buy a car today, they think adaptive cruise controls amazing to a lot of people. Right The fact that your car will slow when it approaches other cars on.
Speaker 2: A freeway, that shit's still amazing to people. Right.
Speaker 3: So we are so far off the reality of people finding a good lane keepersystant you know, you think about you buy a cheap car with lankkeep assists. It's bumper, it's bumper Bowler.
Speaker 2: And you end up switching it off, and you switch it off because you think it's crap, So then you assume.
Speaker 3: And that's the mentality problem that Tesla and everyone's god is. They think it's going to be horrible, autonomous and just not a great feeling. But I think if you look at I think it's OUDI they're sell in Europe, they sell you know, it might be a eight S eight or something like that has a freeway or auto barn or autonomous driving, which they back, so they but sign off on it.
Speaker 2: Get this. So I went to Germany to test that out. I was at the passenger seat of this car. They called it traffic jam Assist, and it was designed to work only up to sixty but it was hands off, eyes off, level three and they were going to release it with a eight, and all of a sudden they stopped it. Oh really wouldn't because they had that issue where they had to back it and they were originally going to. And then there was a whole bunch of calamity with lawyers.
Speaker 3: We all know the lawyers can be problematic.
Speaker 1: They've no children. Do we bring up your employers or.
Speaker 3: They're not my employment. I'm self employed.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, wow, you're associates.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that I don't know. I just don't love the eye. And I also I don't consent to being on the road when some dickhead and his Tesla has got full self driving.
Speaker 3: In America, it's my biggest fear because you're passing someone on the road. Because we pretty much always have a car when we're in America, especially for seous we're there for twelve thirty days. We're driving around and be escalade or something, right, and you drive past tesla and I always look in are they one hand on, one finger on?
Speaker 2: And what are you looking for?
Speaker 3: Thelbums? You want more than a finger? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, there was that a bit of a three finger man.
Speaker 3: Full fist if you like wow, I mean you've got to keep the weight on the steering wheel. If you don't keep the weight on the steering wheel, if.
Speaker 1: We lose Trevor in this building, we just have to follow the yellow drop road. That's all we need to do.
Speaker 3: I think that the challenge is see here's what I want to see. One of my favorite cars I ever owned was a BMW three zero before I had a family and kids and couldn't afford it. Let alone could fit them right. I loved it for its drive, it's technology and everything, but I want a BMW that has things like the augmented navigation once if you're tortured, because this is the big problem I handover of a new car. How long are they spending with people. It's like you need the team to take you on a drive for an hour before you get it. Given the key warnings, I think anything safety is awesome and I think that the good companies, and I'm suggesting Tesla's not one of them, ben W, Mercedes, Audi, they're the companies that I look to and go. Man, their warnings are amazing, and I want that. I want more warnings. I want more help as a driver because we all stumble at times, get distracted or whatever it is. So if it's a windscreen going red, you know, literally flashing at me, that makes me throttle off, or it does it automatically, if it's highlighting something bad, even if it's just just subtly because it's a pedestrian on the side of the road, things like that, Oh just say, you know, we think that pedestrian is going to walk out.
Speaker 2: That's correctly right.
Speaker 1: I'd love to know if there's ever been a study of like the past ten years with the tech that's now in cars, because arguably we're driving the safest cars we've ever driven. I wonder if there is the road told to see.
Speaker 3: The problem number of cars, number of people. It's really hard to get that data. But I think where I have admiration is someone like Volva. You know, their commitment to essentially I can't remember the number of the day, but it's no deaths in a new Volvo from let's say twenty twenty six or something like that. They they believe their cars are going to be not just safe enough because Volvos have always been a level of safe, right, but smart enough to help stop things from happening that are happening. That's awesome. Let's talk about that more than some bloke with cameras on a car creating autonomy. I just think that's the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree. And that's a thing with Tesla now they've moved away from any other sensus aside from camera, and that is the biggest rookie era because you can never have too many senses in my opinion, And if you had a radar on a car, why would you not use that as redundancy that if a camera detects like my car phantom breaks, if it detects an overpass that it slams the brakes on for and the radar says, hey, there's actually nothing there. You can use those systems to learn.
Speaker 3: But now there, father, isn't there an ex ninety or something that has like light on the top of the windscreen, radar in the front, and then cameras and it's like, yeah, cool, give me everything and you make a judgment on what you're seeing because that's what I.
Speaker 2: But just cameras really so stupid. The amount of times we're driving in winter where you'll get a camera fog up and warnings about this camera isn't working anymore. I mean it's it just shows you that it's still not there yet.
Speaker 3: How old was the article? Was it only recently you published an article about your Why Yeah, we mentioned we're gonna we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna chat about this in our next episode, But my god, they went to town on me. And I've just never buy one. No, And this is why I kind of want to sell one, because I'm just sick of the Karens and all the other so it has to have to come.
Speaker 3: In and nominally Jason, but okay, go on, but yeah, those people.
Speaker 1: In my case it's Barry.
Speaker 2: Daniel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Daniel, Dan, you'll drop off.
Speaker 1: Okay, See Daniel, you know you're in a bit of strife when even Trevor saying, go fuck yourself, Daniel.
Speaker 3: That's what I wrote down. I didn't want you to say it, Jesus.
Speaker 2: Aside from BMW other interesting car stuff at c Yes, you mentioned there weren't as many car brands there is. There's still an overtone with some of the other companies, Like we're talking newer versions of Apple Car Play, Android Order as well rolling out. Do you see periphery stuff increasing.
Speaker 3: Heaps of periphery stuff. Google was big talking about in the next version of Andrew Orto. I didn't go deep into it because iteration of that shit happens every six months. It's hard to keep track of. But Google has a big presence there, kind of overarching the show, trying to make sure, like Amazon, they're there because everything can have Amazon. They want it to be seen that way what used to be. Have you been to see this haven't you No never Okay, used to be what was called the North Wall.
Speaker 1: Which Tom which is very similar.
Speaker 3: But like I remember there being already being w C because everyone is there. Now you get these kind of overarching brands like Ram was there because they had this, they had their electric Weirdly, it showed up on the third day of the show. The first two days of the show empty, so I think they announced it in the middle of the show and brought it there. It was so weird that it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't basically there. Yep.
Speaker 3: It literally was wheeled in one night in the middle of its four day show. The fourth day is half like a half day. They wielded in on the night.
Speaker 1: Story That sounds like me handing in an assignment. I'm just going to slip this in the teachers and no one notices was the same.
Speaker 3: They had some freaky cool Persia might have been Persia had this freaky cool looking card. They brought it in the middle of the show. But you know a lot of concepts, something called light speed or something that's an electric solar thing. But the problem is, because you have this lack of big brand and big stalls, big big exhibits, you end up with a lot of stuff that's affiliated with cars, like light, our senses and you can nav and all this kind of stuff that isn't really easy to You can't just walk by and go what is this? You've got to spend two hours. I'm like, man, I've got things to do with We're not going to I'm going to talk to gaudio. If I can't disseminate it in thirty seconds, he's never going to get it right. Facts, that's true. So I think that's a challenge for it. But I actually think it's that's a pandemic thing. I think that last year Mercedes was going to be there and they literally abandoned like a week out. Their floor space was just empty, which was twenty five thirty percent or so. Last year was very weird. LG was the same, Like you're talking the two biggest companies world, Elgie and Samsung. Last year Sampsung went all out. LG they you know that kind a basketball court style would had that and that was it. QR codes to scan fucking.
Speaker 1: Really, that's the marketing chip, just chucking some vapor on the floor and they were going, what are we going to do?
Speaker 3: Anyway? So this year had Mercedes, you had BMW, but there was there was a few American brands, vin Fast, that a Vietnamese mob what's the Faraday? Weren't there in the big way. The car was there on a stand, but it wasn't there in a big way. You know. There was no overarching kind of theme or talk or anything like that which there has been before. If there was a theme, it was electric because there was the RAM and there was a deep plug in hybrid.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, they launched the Avenger or whatever.
Speaker 3: And then Avenger. Yeah, Avenger, it's an X Men movie, Captain America. Was there a driver? Yeah, I've never seen the movies, so I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's a good gear from Trevor. Should put that in the promo.
Speaker 2: But you know what with I've been to Seema a few times. I love Seema. I think Seema is.
Speaker 1: Just sorry even last what's this semens? What's what this has to go?
Speaker 3: There? Always?
Speaker 1: No, I'm serious, I've got no idea.
Speaker 3: Just imagine he didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the Special Equipment Manufacturers Association. It's basically so.
Speaker 1: There's people listening to this that they don't know about your bloody festivals that you go to.
Speaker 3: Okay, can we just get I mean, what's the process on Instagram? Is that how they follow your Instagram? Can look seriously send us a dm is is a DMS open.
Speaker 1: On sladm's trails the drivers show.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows what SEMA is chimp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's in Vegas. Wow, So another huge setup. And this was the same thing last year. I was watching SEEMA on Instagram. A lot of people didn't want to attend because they imposed mask and vaccine mandates and a lot of the Americans who follow this type.
Speaker 3: Of stuff, that is your non mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, that is like, that's basically tru That's a trumpally, So over those.
Speaker 3: Fucking cars, it's a Trump rally.
Speaker 2: But this was back in form last year. Sorry, the year before that, yeah, twenty twenty two, this was back in form, So I'm curious and CS is back on the way up now.
Speaker 3: And it was so if they normally have one hundred and sixty thousand people at c it was one hundred and ten thousand this year. Yep, that was sixty last year. Yeah right, because again last year had had to be double vacks. She had to be proved negative. It was horrible plus year getting into an out of America. We had to get tests as well. It was nightmares. So this year was easy.
Speaker 1: Is all this stuff back to normal? You think, like the tech world in terms of all the hold ups and stuff we've had. Yeah, all these guys came out with concepts everything.
Speaker 3: I feel like from July last year, we were back to normal, Like that's when my travel went back to normal. Launches went back to normal, Apple went back to normal. Samsung. Samsung actually hasn't had a physical tech event. They've only had kind of big elaborate briefings, whereas I don't know when you're putting this out, but next week in San Francisco having a proper venue event, so there'll be thousands of people again. So I feel like they're back to normal. CS just needs it, just needs next year. So twenty twenty four CS I think will be epic. I think it'll be solid. I think I think your Audi's and your other brands that weren't there this year will go. Actually, BMW Mercedes did really well this year because.
Speaker 2: They had some show it looked sick because they got attentions no longer happening. So it's events like SEEMA and CES where they can do crazy shit at SEEMA and then CS is all about tech and the future exactly because every car has tech.
Speaker 3: Right, That's the how I fell into this driving a car thing because every because car companies like, can you talk about this infertainment? I'm like whatever, And so every car has tech, whether it's the safety tech or the driver tech or whatever. And that's why I see this is a great place to be because they get to expose themselves like you and you would see this the kind of people that get invited to things. You're like, who's this fucking bloke and he's an Instagram influencer. It's me, yeah exactly, And people are.
Speaker 1: Like there, I am there, I am rocket up and everyone's like, yeah, that guy.
Speaker 3: You know what Paul does just saying because he does what I do when they ring up? And so do you want to come to wherever for you thing? I say, can you make sure I'm in the not in the lifestyle cycle?
Speaker 1: What does that even mean?
Speaker 3: They have different when they have a car launch. They do normally six days, two days for a bunch of influences and ship and then two days for edge car people like me, and then two days for actual car people. Like Paul, they'll invite you to the first two days meet it, the second two days he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even go to the first two days.
Speaker 1: I didn't get invited for.
Speaker 3: I'm just letting you know, thanks for getting close. You're getting close. So I think that I think that the benefit of CS for brands is the exposure outside of motory. Yeah, I didn't mate. I'd never heard of the Mercedes Ben's eqxx before, and I'm like, oh shit, this thing. This was announced actually last CS, but they didn't have it there, right, it was just a because they didn't ever stand it was just announced and so to bring that thing in and made it was a beautiful stand, you know, mirrors and fucking fancy ship. It looked cool. It was it was your Instagram for the day because it looked amazing to get pictures there. So that's what you want, is you want people equ x X is what we're looking for some help on the Google. The people were two x's well English, it is no, It's like it looked unbelievable on the show. For people were looking at that thing. This is sick. And they've got two of them right, one of them is a static show car.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And the other one is drivable.
Speaker 2: They said a world record in the drivable one. I actually didn't notice this year as well. They had a lot of your supercar blondie style influences. My fraind Yeah, she'd been going to a few of those previously, but now it was an explosion of influences that they were really trying to hype up the year.
Speaker 3: Well, and I'll tell you right now, they they wanted more. So what they had planned was there's a private racetrack at a I don't know resort or something about an hour out of town, and they had planned to do a drive day for two days before the show opened, but they couldn't get battery. The battery was stuck in customs or something, so it was all canceled. It was on the Wednesday of the show. I was Mitch driving like six I was meant to drive the fucking thing at six am, and they rang the night before game. We just didn't get clearance on the battery. So in the end they because there's two of them, one of them on the show floor, the other one they just drove from a hotel across the road. They took you on a run around the run around the strip. And I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Have you seen it not in person, but it looks bloody amazing pictures. A look at the butt of it, though it's all ero. That's an aston Martin though EVC Yeah, got that sort of wow.
Speaker 3: That is the most insulting thing you could ever say to a Mercedes is.
Speaker 4: Good you nerd.
Speaker 1: As soon as the bloody phone goes.
Speaker 2: All I've got another radio interview, so we're going to have to another.
Speaker 3: Get inside that and the infotainment, because you think a concept car is going to be just ship right, this thing has this, you know, Mercedes has that one screen, one screen, separate screen. This is one legit screen and as you swipe it the whole thing it's made, it's more beautiful and an operating system than Apple and Apple do good.
Speaker 2: Though I do wonder because the idea of it sounds great, and when I actually tested the hyperscreen in that EQ S s U V, it can be laggy. And I wonder whether these concept cars they just throw like a process, large, process larger, and then the production car comes out like the Ford Ranger. That infotainment system is so laggy. If you catch napping and they just don't have enough grunt.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a screen like it was the most I said to the bloke, I'm sorry you're going to talk about this car is beautiful and everything, but that screen is fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that looks cool.
Speaker 3: This thing is measuring the wind. They measure the wind impact into the front of the car so that they.
Speaker 1: Can from you the wind from It's just like it doesn't real I have a four and twenty, I reckon I can get that up to one hundred, one hundred.
Speaker 3: And ten real time coalfisions of drag calculated. When you put the diffuser out, it shows up and the changes man.
Speaker 1: Over a fucking screen.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if there wasn't a drive there or a rub one out, mate, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It probably has a button for that. Tiler'll just jerke you off.
Speaker 2: Can you explain to listeners One of the criticisms we often get when we go to a car launch overseas is that manufacturers are in our pockets and I'm putting a video together at the moment to explain how the industry works and how we earn money and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Fuck let me, Yeah, this is going to be an expose a definate right it is.
Speaker 2: The problem is people.
Speaker 3: Excerning millions and he's going to put out a fucking video about that.
Speaker 2: The problem is people are people who aren't in the industry don't understand that when events like this go on, they want all of the media to come there to report on this and instead of Samsung going to five hundred countries around the world with the same stuff, it just wouldn't work. So is it the same in the tech industry where this sort of event is funded by a brand and then you're expected to.
Speaker 3: So to be clear, see US is very different from I got invited to see us by Intel in twenty twelve, this thing's amazing, And then in October of twenty twenty twelve, for the next year, I'm thinking, who's invited me?
Speaker 2: Not inviotyed me.
Speaker 3: I was really doing not much back then, so I was like kind of coming up and I'm like, I want to go. I gotta go. So I just rang a couple of companies and said, can you sponsor me and just ask for a couple of grand to pay for my air fits And ever since then I've just done that. So even now I take four people because I just I don't want to be beholden. When I say beholden, I don't mean what we say. I don't give No one ever tells me what to say. I don't want to have to go to a fucking dinner. I don't want so see percent I get like sponsors like so this year Samsung, LG, High Sense, TCL, BMW all come in. They pay a bit of money funds all my airfare is accommodation and everything.
Speaker 2: So we're good.
Speaker 1: There is a light thing where you have to obviously cover their gear, right.
Speaker 3: What I the clear documentation is you're what you're paying for is me. We will definitely cover your event. We will definitely attend your booth. We will definitely give you editorial coverage full stop. Doesn't say it's going to be positive and negative. It's just we're gonna cover you.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Three things. That's it. Nothing else. If you've got a dinner on it works beautiful. Next week Samsung's holding it.
Speaker 1: A sipulated dinner.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to go to dinners. I fucking hate going to gennis It's the worst thing in the world because I've got to sit with people I have who don't like me most of the time, and I probably don't like them as well. So I hate seven course three people we talked about before we start a recording. I don't want to sit with them at dinner.
Speaker 1: Now, if you listen to our bonus episode, we're going to go through all those names.
Speaker 3: And I'd be happy to help you know what you're talking about. But so because I've been beaten up on Media watch about it too. In fact, last August I got on Meetia Watch Good Times, Happy Days, Paul Barry got you on Media or whatever?
Speaker 1: The fucking host, Yes, the one who talks like he's from the nineteen tieties, and Trevor Long was called rubbing one out and the Mercedes double it.
Speaker 3: I'm in New York City, I'm on the Today Show Sky and he's a bunch of places and on my website everwhere talking about a new folding phone. Right here it is, and they go, you didn't disclose that Samsung sent you there, And I just write, who the fuck did you think sent me here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Exactly like am I going to dip into my own pod to New York? That's like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 1: Honestly, that's what people would think though.
Speaker 2: But that's the problem. Idiots. They're like, they assume that that's how it works. And it's like, we could not employ thirty people full time if you.
Speaker 3: Were then paying for trips around the.
Speaker 2: World and these things for us. A car launch overseas, we might be only there for a day. You're expected to land and drive a car immediately. If I'm sitting in economy with my knees around my ears, I'm not going to be able to sit there and do anything. So and when people always go on about business class, I'm like, well, it's literally in the name business class. I'm going full business and it allows me to drive the car and get straight back home. I don't want to spend a.
Speaker 3: Minute objective most see and again, I bet you this is the same in murdering. There's a bunch of tech journals who will extend their stay. They'll stay for extra nights if they're in New York. I've got a family, I've got three kids. My wife hates that I have this job. She will kill me if she found out I was fucking lazing around somewhere. Right, it's I leave on Sunday. I get back on Friday morning because my kid plays baseball on Saturday. If I'm not there, I am divorced. So I could stay in San Francisco for another week. Sweet and no dramas. But I'm in and out as quick as I can. And where it's business class, I take business class sometime because I like to bring a camera with me to shoot some shit. Sometimes I compromise and trying to fly premium. We fly economy whenever I'm paying because I'm not an idiot. I'm saving money wherever I can, but only for where it's an individual company, Apple, Samsung, whoever. If they've got an event, I ain't paying for myself to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's crazy to the peace would assume that you love the brand so much that you would do that. It actually blows.
Speaker 3: Me away, you know. Then the obvious other thing, and you kind of alluded to it in a joking, I think, but you know, what do you pay to say about them? Look, I'm not a negative guy. I don't do a lot of negative gear. Right, I'm not gonna get on the Today's I say this is a ship phone because you know what, every car, every phone has an audience, even a one hundred and ninety dollars smartphone, while we everyone in this room would think it is shit. Ye for a mum, single mum battling to get her seven year seven kid a phone that's the fucking perfect phone, and.
Speaker 1: They want to feel good about it, It's right, you know.
Speaker 3: They want to know what its features are and what it's going to do, and maybe a little bit of what it can't, you know, And that's as simple as that. A car review and a phone review very similar in the sense that every car is incremently better than the than the last. And that's what it's all about today.
Speaker 2: And it's I think it's the same story in tech genuinely today there is not a car out there that I would say this is not It's exactly right.
Speaker 3: We're not going back to the eighties here. You know where some cars were shipped. There's some cars were dangerous, right. Phones. You know, Samsung had some phones that exploded. They weren't actually bad phones, they just had a real fuck up with the technology, and you know what, they fixed it, They recall it, and they've come back super strong. Why would I bag Samsung because they had burning phones six years ago that hasn't happened, since it's an unbelievable story. You know, people use that analogy to talk about Tesla because Tesla don't fly people everywhere. Well they do, they have taken some people around, but you know, well.
Speaker 2: They also people don't know this, but Tesla sack their PR team globally except in Australia. They still retain people who do PR on the side. They still run a press fleet, which we don't pay for. There was no way I would pay to review their cars ever, and that press fleet comes with free charging. Like I think that people, and it's especially those Tesla people who think were on the take from big media. I'm like, fucking not a chance. It's it is literally your review.
Speaker 3: But again, and we're digging a different rabbit hole. But you know, I don't think I've ever had a Tesla for more than three days, yep, you know, because that's the way they roll. I'm like, you know, it'd be a whole lot better for me if I could have a car for a week or two or do a long term.
Speaker 2: Those problem is you'd end up with a negative ish story like I have because.
Speaker 3: You because you'd actually just cover the ship, you know, so look, I don't care about it anymore. I don't kill people say it's the same, mate, it's the same. When I'll do a segment on the Today Show where I'm talking about mobile phone deals, I'll tell here's a couple other than he's coging with this, and someone will go on to it and go, fucking add for Cogan?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: I'm like, if it is, who's pain?
Speaker 2: Like where's my cash? Like?
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like? Where is my cash in this situation?
Speaker 3: There's no benefit.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that comment.
Speaker 3: I knew it was, but so many fake accounts.
Speaker 1: Between me and your Barry, I swear it wasn't me. I'm dead set.
Speaker 3: Hey, Barry, if you're stuck with the show, I'm sending you merch mats just because it was funny.
Speaker 1: It's funny, it was funny.
Speaker 3: You're a good man. Carve them up, mate, calm or who's paying? It's paying to listen to this. I say that to people all the time about whether it's my website of podcasts. I don't.
Speaker 2: I try.
Speaker 3: I make a spelling mistake, which I make a lot of. They're right to me. I'll go whatever.
Speaker 2: I'll send you a refund.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll send you a full fucking refund, buy a PayPal of nothing.
Speaker 1: See in case you've just joined. As we're talking Trevor's Zingers on The Driver's Show, two things before you go, what is what's the most impressive tech that you reckon is coming out there? Doesn't correlate it or.
Speaker 3: Not outside of things we talked about because they were very very cool, the benw thing specifically, Yeah, I did see some glasses from TCL which look just like they actually look like your glasses.
Speaker 1: There they are the TCL glasses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not, and they project in front of your vision. Now that's all cool, like think of Google glass from twenty twelve. But they actually demonstrate that there's a woman's that's not me wearing them, but it's a different set. A few images down there's actually strolls just right, but it's not those ones. These are different ones.
Speaker 1: A guy, Yeah, oh my god, put on the glasses that you were in.
Speaker 2: Put them on. Put them on?
Speaker 3: Why anyway? Hello welcome? No, so this woman so lovely lady from TCL speaking Mandarin or Cantons, I don't know, but I tapped aside went into this menu that said translation tapped it loud, crowded into a hall of exhibitors, and this woman's speaking to me and Mandarin and it's fucking appearing in English in front of me with a three second delay. I'm telling you it was.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 3: Mind blowing. So what you those ones there are, they're like you put them on and it's like one hundred inch screen in front of you. So it's like a good way to watch Netflix if you're lying in bed, you just get one hundred inch.
Speaker 2: So this had some sort of phone connectivity.
Speaker 3: This was this was it was built in or built in.
Speaker 2: That's cool, very very cool.
Speaker 3: So that that shit's cool. And I think that you'll see a lot more foldable phones issue. I think Google will come out with a fireable phone.
Speaker 2: Do you think about foldable phones? Because I get the thing, but I just don't. I don't know what purpose like. And I also think this is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Camera barba ship Oh yeah, apple thumber bumps are annoying and yeah, foling phone. So I don't like the open up ones that open up like a book. They're too big and they're just huge in your pocket. I like the flip if I could flip this shut and put it in my pocket right now.
Speaker 1: I think the flip's a great idea. Yeah, I mean it's good that they've made a comeback screen protection.
Speaker 2: Like it's in your pocket, and it's particular the thickness of a typical iPhone that you then follow.
Speaker 3: The current the current Samsung flip is close to double but it doesn't feel like that in your pocket. Plus you can throw it in your bag with less concern because your screen. You're not worried about your screen anymore.
Speaker 2: So as good as the long ways are, they still scratch. If I have set of keys in there, it's still scratch me.
Speaker 3: You're mad not having a screen protector on that thing.
Speaker 2: This is the thing my last phone.
Speaker 1: Also, I was with you when you took that case off.
Speaker 2: I had all moves of stuff on it, and I realized, I'm paying twenty bucks a month if I drop it all.
Speaker 3: Just fuck. I'm not talking about how.
Speaker 2: Much you pay, but this is the thing, this is.
Speaker 3: How loaded he is, but so much fucking money. You're still paying two hundred dollars a month for your mobile phone fucking plan.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I stopped that. That was a scam because.
Speaker 3: They it was a solid argument and had.
Speaker 1: At one point was it a Telstra thing? Were you in Telstra at the time.
Speaker 2: Because we were traveling a lot and it came with you Global roaming included Telstra. Then goes, oh, you we're deleting that, but it's still one hundred and ninety five dollars a month. I said, fuck that.
Speaker 3: If you want to go back on Telstra, go to Boost me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but that's the thing I ended up on Telstra because why did I ended up on Telstra? Well? Boost didn't do roaming. There was some issue with roaming. They do now it's not that cheap. But now that these have a duel sin, I've discovered im and all this other stuff. You didn't just enable it overseas and it works fine. But anyway, once it is out of contract, I'll get rid of it because it's Telstra just just as bad as office in terms of customer service and stuff. There.
Speaker 1: We're going to wrap this up. Tell me something interesting, Tell something, Saucy, something saucy, Tell me something saucy. You're chatting up chicks in the metaverse. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: No, mate?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine I'm the most boring human you'll ever meet. Mate, This is the most fun I've had for fucking a month.
Speaker 1: You're kidding, I believe that. I imagine like Trey picking up chicks in the metaverse? How would that sound?
Speaker 2: Do you Yahoo?
Speaker 1: You really scan my hard drift? Babe?
Speaker 3: Do you it meant to be funny with him?
Speaker 2: I'm never sure.
Speaker 1: I think I just you think I just downloaded on my belly button.
Speaker 2: Does the radio station nowhere here? He just got a key from upstairs.
Speaker 3: So because you're actually on the radio, ain't it?
Speaker 1: Do you accept three and a half inch floppies?
Speaker 3: I prefer five and a quarter.
Speaker 1: By the way, that primo shot.
Speaker 3: No, it's not that one. It's your kiss one, oh, which is really hard talk about me coming into the room.
Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, look, I've put on a few, haven't we all put on a few that was actually taken, that was taken before I was married and before the child. Yeah, with the child's two and a half for the court case, so two and.
Speaker 3: A half, you've got like another six years before that gets good.
Speaker 1: It's good, It's fine. I don't mind. But yeah, I'm proper fat now.
Speaker 2: I wasn't concerned it your coke selection earlier that wasn't.
Speaker 3: How does Paul's wife let him do all the ship that he gets money? Talks about it if my wife, if my wife had that credit cards you can give a where.
Speaker 1: He walks in the door and it's like a bas lumin movie. There's confetti and he just like where those couples makes it ray dancing on a pile.
Speaker 3: How much money did you? I'm thinking, just more simple. Have you seen the TikTok where the guy's got like a dart and he bursts a balloon and that it just just gell and ship all over this woman every time she walks in the house.
Speaker 2: What do you want?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, Paul's just just shooting money. It's just braining money as she walks in the door.
Speaker 2: My wife listens to this, wait to see what she thinks. She really she said to me, Gord, he's really funny. I'm like, you know, he's jokes to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're not you're not picking up chicks in the metaverse.
Speaker 3: You're traveled at home?
Speaker 1: Yes? What else? What else do we need to know?
Speaker 2: You need to know that I have a radio interview that can I take TV probably like ten.
Speaker 3: Minutes who's that rating nice? Someone else there?
Speaker 2: Brook Courts the brook Court brook is nice at that time and not no she Brooks's yeah, she's on the No, she's just used to do.
Speaker 3: A TV so that we were involved in as well, which was mentioned earlier.
Speaker 1: Are you guys giving each other like?
Speaker 3: Look she is lovely? Yeah, she's very just had a again, second baby. This mate married not dead.
Speaker 1: Wow, Tram is going to get in so much trouble. I'm refreshingly surprised at trev Well, yeah, you've surprised him.
Speaker 3: I'm refreshing refreshingly surprised, just like you can pull this ship together.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that I don't need to be.
Speaker 1: Don't expect your name on the poster anytime soon, because one we couldn't fit.
Speaker 2: Also, there'd be legal issues again.
Speaker 1: God, can you imagine if we send Fairfax our new new promotion? In fact, you know what Trevor Long hangs out on The Driver's Show, I'm going to send that to it.
Speaker 3: I wake up with the Driver's Show.
Speaker 1: Do you know what we should do for Primo for this.
Speaker 3: Hang on stop? Just for the record, before I agreed to this, I didn't know about all that shit?
Speaker 2: Neither did we finally and do you know what.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Look, I'm actually going to hold back. I am going to hold back. I am I am surprised. Did you rock up? Did I hear this right? Did you rock up to a an Elton John show and show your ass?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: Dribbling and loose the skin is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I thought it was working.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a bulldog getting chogked by a yo yo stream.
Speaker 2: Can I just say I that Molly a while ago. He's a really nice guy and I just feel very sad for the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: Way to bring the episode down.
Speaker 1: Yeah we should go back to fighting in a park with our shirts off.
Speaker 3: Jesus listen. Just the final thing I'll say is listeners think there was some fucking feud going on. I don't even know what was going on.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about, Michael Clark about I'm talking about you.
Speaker 2: It was Carl Stephan and Trevorlong was there as well. He rooted the.
Speaker 1: Great publicity definitely did. And it was over dinner. It was between main courses.
Speaker 3: I think that might have gone too far.
Speaker 1: Is the dinner?
Speaker 2: Just for the edit, there is a lot of editing required.
Speaker 1: No, there is very much not. I'm looking over at our social media guy. This fucking goes on YouTube as it happens, all right, thank it on YouTube? Yes? And you porn you know?
Speaker 3: Can I just say this is the kind of content the reason I am happy to come because this is the kind of content the world needs. Not boring fucking sitting around reading through ship it's boring. Have you listened to other podcasts?
Speaker 2: They're boring.
Speaker 1: I listened to one of yours ones. I agree.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with that. I've moved on from that. But no, I think I think it's good what you're doing. Keep it up, thanks man, I'll be here when you're actually writing.
Speaker 1: Well, we are writing well. We're the biggest automotive podcast in Australia.
Speaker 2: Did you not know that we're about to do a go fundme for our next legal challenge.
Speaker 1: I'm going to use that. I'm going to use that as our promo photo.
Speaker 3: I've got a better one from CS No, no, no, no, You've got just just last thing before we get because's going to just search dice in Zone Dyson like the fan company, dice in Zone just right e f TM. Yeah, I sure, am for Mary Champ. That's me there have a look at that. If that's not a promo photo, know what is?
Speaker 1: I prefer the son? Are you? What are you doing there? Like what? It's like an oculus, but you're eating a chicks.
Speaker 3: Headphones? It's headphones and there's no ass headphones that purify the air.
Speaker 2: Are they genuinely serious?
Speaker 3: It was announced on April the first last year. I thought it was so stupid, and I tell you it wasn't It's real and I listened to them. They great headphones. I just don't fucking understand why you would want them unless you lived in the New York subway.
Speaker 1: Around the expo, like your doctor to doc, I was born of it. That's from Batman. You know I was born of it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a bang from Batman. From Batman?
Speaker 3: Does your wife think you're funny?
Speaker 1: I was born? I think I think I talk on behalf of everyone and you're making is uncomfortable. Can you please leave?
Speaker 2: All right? Thank you Trevor for action a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming in, Baddy than before we go, we got to read emails.
Speaker 2: Yes, and also if you do want to send us an email for us to read out on the show. Contact at the Drivers Show dot com today you not just something else. It's the Driver's Show.
Speaker 1: The Drivershow dot com dot you. That's the only website we've got, so always using the driver Show dot com dot you, the Drivershow dot com dot you on Instagram too. You can dm us. Is that what they say? I don't know you're a child? Is that what they say?
Speaker 2: So let's run through and also, please leave us a rating whichever platform you listen to this on. Please. I know that you don't think it means much, but please just go in there and just write something nice and leave a five star rating or a thumbs up or whatever. It'll help us get promoted. So first email so from Neil and he wrote, Hi, guys, just wanted to pass on that this is a great podcast. Paul is always knowledgeable and that was it on all things cars, and Gordy is just a clown. Hey. I really want to say something bad about Gordy so he can pay out on me every episode like Daniel, But I can't.
Speaker 1: What did he just call me?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: He said, can't? Did he?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay? He then wrote, even my wife enjoyed listening to a few episodes on a re road trip. No surprise, Paul's a hit with the mums. I'm only human.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 2: You are the Center's picks Neil, and he wrote to keep up the podcast. It's a great entertaining addition to my feed. As Gordy would say, fuck you, Daniel gold Bust. Yeah, he had a serious question though, He wrote as an aside, I have a twenty twenty two Kisserato GT. What are your opinions on this? I personally love the car, although I would love a Stinger. I'm just not on Gordy money to afford one.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I reckon the Kisarato GT is a great car. I think it's good. It's a furry, fiery little car.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 2: Well you've driven that. How does it compet to your Stinger?
Speaker 1: Oh it doesn't.
Speaker 2: But like, what similarities could you draw? Because I thought we actually have a YouTube review going live of the Serato GT. And for the amount of money you pay for that, it was one of the most enjoyable cars I've driven around the proving ground. It was so fast and so fun. Didn't love the ride, didn't love the tyn Or it was a bit excessive. Stinger, on the other hand, is a bit more of a GT cruiser, right, Yeah, comfortable, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a proper GT car. I think the Serrato is. I just think it's great. It's bang for your Bucket's brilliant. It is a front wheel drive, yep, so there's that which is a bit but I think it's great. I think it's got everything if you can. For me, it just felt a bit small and cramped. I wouldn't have it as a family car, but I think everything is there. It's well appointed, the tech is excellent. It looks really good from the front at least anyway. I don't know. Paul always thinks the rides a bit stiff, but Paul has a bad case of hemorrhoids.
Speaker 2: And there is a cream that I'm using for that. There is, can I say, actually as well with Serato GT, they just move the cel Toss with a similar engine to this to a torque converter. Serato GT is currently a Jewel clutch and I found the torqu converter excellent in the celt Toss. The only thing I didn't really like about that drive train in the Serato was low speed with jewel clutch. I'd love to see if they changed to a talk converter as well. It would really be quite a sort and if they had an adaptive damping, they would actually have what I would deem a very warm hatch. So I think it is on the warmer side of warm, on the hotter side of warm.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Who knows anyway?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Yeah, great car, Thank you for their email.
Speaker 2: Love it. Here's another good one, this one quick thing.
Speaker 1: If he does want a bay Stinger, I think he can buy mine because it's currently for I think you can also pick up a really reasonable one with good K's for about fifty grand. At the moment, they are discontinuing them, and I wonder if that will up the price. I don't think I think they'll I think they'll go all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think so as well. Email from Michael titled Dealer Delivery Fee. Now this was a good email because he had a really good question in here, and and it was one I had to do a bit of research on. So I wrote, Hi, Paul and Gordy, glad you're back. Was wondering why you stopped podcasting given the show was so entertaining and moderately informative. So he wrote, Paul, you mentioned in the December show that if you pay more than two thousand dollars dellary delivery, you're being ripped off. I guess I'm being ripped off good, because I'm paying thirty five hundred for my Genesis GV seventy. No, it's not the three point five twin Turbo. Given that Genesis don't have dealerships and I have to deal directly with the manufacturer, I guess this is a sneaky way for Young Day of increasing their vehicle margins and still appearing to offer good value pricing, as reviewers only tend to report on the price before on roads. I'll be interested to see what special fanfare I receive when I collect my GV seventy in mid jan So if you are listening to this, give us a yell and let us know how it went for the three point five k dealer delivery. But I suspect it will be underwhelming given the customer service so far. Really enjoy the podcast. It would be great if you could increase the frequency to weekly episodes. I've also unsubscribed from another podcast that I won't mention, but you can use your imagination. Now, I should clarify that when I was talking about Dilly delivery in the December show, that was strictly in relation to for dealar delivery. It wasn't other brands. Other brands will charge much more and in the cases in the case of Genesis, no, you're not getting ripped off. I had a look at the Genesis website and I think their deal of delivery was around three grand, so they probably are rating a little bit of mayo to that, just a tiny bit. But you're not getting ripped off in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 1: They might be able to negotiate that day.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I just think it's a bit expensive, to be honest, because thirty five hundred they really.
Speaker 1: Don't they deliver this car like to the.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, that's my other question as well. Are you getting a home delivery or are you picking it up from one of their dealers or a yun day dealer even do let us know? But yeah, in short, you're not getting totally ripped off. It is just a little expensive. Let us know how the delivery went and whether you thought there was value in that. There might be some process behind the scenes. That is much bigger than a.
Speaker 1: Forward perhaps and generally also too, because it's a genesis it you're not getting you're not taking delivery of the young day they like they could have, as you said, different processes on getting this car ready for delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but let's let's see, because that's a lot of money. That's what five percent of the car's price potentially or even slightly less than that. There's a shitload of money. So yeah, get in touch with us, Michael, if you hear this and we're still listening, please and let us know how it all went, because we're very keen to find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five stars. Leave a nice comment. We'll see you next week. God, it's hot in here.
Speaker 2: It is. What the hell is It's like you've got an interrogation light on or something. I have a bickroom podcast
Speaker 1: So I do not want to see you're downward dog like that would just be Oh God,