Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts. You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. All right. So there's a video that's going viral at the moment, and I wouldn't normally talk about some of this, but it is so interesting and I've shown to a few friends of mine. I've watched it quite a few times, and actually it makes me a bit sad, but also makes me happy that I grew up in a different time, the eighties and the nineties. So it's a video what I'm about to play, and it's young kids as if they were in the nineties finding out about life now. For the counterparts, kids growing up in these times with mobile phones glued to their hands like us as well, I'm not judging, like us as well. But haven't listened to this. Wait, so you're telling me in the future people just stare at a little box all day inside outside, And in the future, you don't even own the music. You just pay every.
Speaker 2: Month to borrow it.
Speaker 1: Like if you stop paying, the music just disappears. So in the future, everyone has their own phone and they use it to type messages instead of call, and if someone calls you without typing it first, it's considered rude. Our moms always say don't talk to strangers. But in the future, everyone just talks to strangers all day on the little box and shows them their house and their kids. In the future, everyone's connected to everything and people are still lonely. It's really sad, but there is an epidemic of loneliness. Actually makes you made me cry when I first watched it, I was like, God, this's not really sad about what we're doing now to our kids and ourselves has grown up as well. You know, we're just as bad as the kids. We say, get off your phones. But anyway I was thinking about, I feel blessed actually to have grown up in the eighties and nineties where actually boreden was my best friend, because through boredom was a great motivator use your imagination, or to reach out and just go and see friends. Nowadays, it tastes ages for me to range to hang out with my friends. Me and nine mates are going fishing this weekend. It has taken at least six months. No seriously happened last year we start planning it to sort this out years ago. So what I want to do this morning is to celebrate a growing up in the nineties. Growing up in the nineties. In one line for me, it'd be you just went around to your mate's houses. You didn't call ahead, and if they weren't in, you just cycled to somebody else's and then if they were in, you just grabbed them. And then you went to another friend's house. You would like pick up a gang, yes, yes, and then you just sort of go and hang around the shops. Missus so and so's Christian home. Yes, parents who were always an adults were seen with slight fear, trepidation and respect. It was always mister or missus. Yes, now it's your first name basis oh hi a Christian for mister Christian actually back in the day in the nineties, also grown up in the nineties. In one line for me, you arrived on time. There was no you couldn't message anyone to say run in five minutes late. People just presume because everyone was on time. People just presume if you didn't arrive on time, then something must have happened to you or you were dead. And they were just they would just go out without you. I guess they're dead. There was no a well, shame what happened to Chris? And you didn't get a raisin until much later, But no one really cared anyway. Whatever to you, I can't remember. I hate it now because you always get that your phone pings, and yet six o'clock when you SI admit, you know it's the I'm running late. Traffic's bad today. Oh who'd have thought at six o'clock the traffic's bad rio growing up in the nineties.
Speaker 2: In one line, they don't make kids shows like this anymore. I was watching some shows with my little nephew, he's six, and they're very educational. They're very thoughtful, they're very gentle. They've got, you know, a valuable life lesson. Back in the nineties, where we were raised by television, they were nothing like.
Speaker 1: That at all.
Speaker 2: But it would completely the most unhinged, crazy, inappropriate, dangerous.
Speaker 1: Shows the ones that come to mine. In Australia.
Speaker 2: That was the Ferrls, which was about a bunch of feral cats and dogs that played together. There was cat Dog about two animals.
Speaker 1: I remember Cat Dog. Yes, there was think also the Barrier to get on TV was really low. These days, you have to have a big concept, like eight seasons or art out. Imagine that. The pitch meeting for Cat Dog, they're like, wait, what is It's a cat and the Dog. Great, you've got two season order round The Twist was the most. Still have nightmares. My kids love it though I've I've been showing them that they enjoy the show. They absolutely love it. They have it almost every day. It's so cool. It's a bizarro show to watch, isn't it. You kind of like, it's so strange to understand how this came into being.
Speaker 2: And that adults made it, like grown paid riders sat down and wrote these.
Speaker 1: Ship seemed to be made with one aim to confuse young children in the audience and terrify Game of Thrones. Very hard to keep up with what was going on? All right, we're talking about growing up in the nineties. In one I thought I actually was starting to play teenage dirtburns lock. He's made this confused. I actually now just want to hear the song. Does anyone else? I just want to hear teenage dirtberg It's such a great song. Let's play it in a minute. We're talking about growing up in the nineties in one line, grown up in the nineties in one line. By the way, christ and I've dealt with a police officer recently in New South Wales. Officer Lawless as like a British those one of those TV shows on BritBox Lawless, the detective who doesn't play by the rules. But he's been thrown out the big smoke and he's now in a small hun drum town or village in a remote Yorkshire grim town up north where guess what the sudden spate of killings. But luckily old Detective Lawless it's there. He picks up the phone. That's the beginning of every episode. Christian grown up in the nineties. Friday and Saturday nights. Video shops were the king They were actually Sata. It was all that they were, the kings of the high street. Was the video shop? Please be kind rewind Christian. Any age on the school holidays sent outside at nine am, I would actually say, by my parents are thrown out. They were just coming to us and just rip open the curtains. You and your dad would do that. Just stand there in that Superman post staring at daylight. Gorgeous day out there. Unlikely you'd grown up in the UK. It was ever a gorgeous doubt there dad, just another grim, overcast doubt the sun. Get out there, I make something of his South Today's son, Come on, get out. They would throw you out and only tell you to come back when the street lights come on. That was the provision for me. And you had to have an entire glass of milk down in one. Oh. That was somehow ward off all germs and bugs. I was raised by calcium santo, Thank you very much for that. Growing up in the ninety He's running away from home, but only going just down the road. Remember that you still be showing I'm still running away for real, still going, you know, And I'd always be I did that whole thing, I'm leaving now, And then you'd be finally going too far in case no one came to look for you, maybe just me that one that threat I could run away, you know, And your parents were totally Unfazedeh, where are you gonna get? Yeah? Unlikely? You know how you know how good you have it? Yes, Christian, I'm new to the show. Grown Up in the nineties mixtapes, It was. It took a lot of a lot of cognitive load. To record music back in the day. Was it pause, play, record, It's like three different buttons. Give me a little tape counter button. There was a lot to record music back in the day. Then when CDs came along and you could burn your own CDs, you had to be careful because you could be put in prison for that. Yes, you were a legal downloading line stealer car Yes, yes, yes. Christian grown up in the nineties se Me Grunge and ren and Stimpy ren Stimpy was a brilliant show. That's Shawney when your best mates live next door or three doors down, neighborhood mates. That's from Chris Christian O'Connell show on podcast