Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Firms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Flex and Froom Show. It's Flexi and through Me coming to you from the studio. Flex I was watching your Instagram story the other day. Your stories, I would say, are always a combination of foul, provocative, yes, cute.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, thirsty Yeah, and I just did this little with my fingers like.
Speaker 3: Hip resolved, resolved precisely. It's a brand experience. It's very clear brand experience.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: I saw you post this meme. I would say, it's like semi dank. I'm not going to try and explain what what it looks like, but essentially mean, but like philosophy skewed dank pholosphy memes.
Speaker 1: So it's got a woman and she's saying you aren'ting to try and describe it, Well, I've got to explain it.
Speaker 2: So it's a woman saying thank you for ruining my life, and it's the Instagram logo with tentacles, and the Instagram logo with tentacles says, I'm literally an algorithm designed to maintain your attention by learning from your behavior and mirroring back that which consciously or not captivates you and the social worlds through which you move. I am literally one of the most fascinating tools for collective and personal shadow work ever created. That is only if you can learn to recognize that you aren't disturbed by social media. You are disturbed by your own reflection.
Speaker 1: Yep, wow, yup.
Speaker 2: That he different for me because I thought, yeah, I'm often like semi offended by what I'm served. But why is it hitting so hard for me? Why am I so offended? Why is this feeling visceral? And this is why?
Speaker 1: So, babe, where'd you find this meme? My explore page is really good to me?
Speaker 3: So it has been curated, as you said, to be a reflection of my Instagram story. So you know, I'm not up here every day like trying to create content. I literally let the Explore page determine what's inspiring me.
Speaker 1: But what I do find.
Speaker 3: Really interesting is that people often think that the memes I share are like me finding another way to communicate. I might, babe, I'm a professional talker. You think of I had a thought that I wanted to communicate, I would just communicate it.
Speaker 1: But sometimes it's good to communicate it through different memes. Yeah, but I'm like, that's what you guys do.
Speaker 3: Like you like people often like post a meme to be like I'm trying to let everybody know what I'm going through without letting know what I'm going through, like indirect communication through memes. Right, So, like you're having like a weird time with your friends, you might post like a quote being like, at the end of the day, all you have is yourself. If people do that anymore, people do that well often, and maybe there's more complex ways to do it, like posting like screenshots of the music you're listening to, or like posting screenshots, or like posting an image of like your antidepressants, like creating trying to create a priority.
Speaker 1: Tempted to do that at some point, but I'm like, all I do is like talk for a living.
Speaker 3: So if I'm going to say something or if i want to be understood, I'm like, the most direct way of getting to it's how I want to say it. But I love meme curation, Like my story has always been about curating. I'm like, just because these things are hitting you, like hitting your spot, you think I'm going through it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting I get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah again with the mirror, right, I'm only just posting stuff, and whenever it hits someone a little bit different, they're kind of like, we're going through something. No, this is just resonating with you.
Speaker 2: See. I get that when I like find a really funny TikTok that actually doesn't apply to me, but it's the funniest thing ever. I don't want to post it, but I just know it's going to be the wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But what I liked about that post generally is that I I am like plenty of people laugh and scoff at people who think taking social media breaks is going to be the cure to whatever they think they're going through. And like, in some ways taking a break anything is good for recalibration. But I often think that people who use social media place an unfair amount of blame on social media. But the issue is we're not all having a unified experience. I don't know what happens on your for you page, I don't know what happens on your feet. I don't know what you look at that is responsible for how you're feeling. And I feel like people are so quick to shift blame on this, like invisible algorithm, not recognizing that, like your algorithm, is a sum of what you interact with. All these apps are trying to do is maintain retention. They want you to be on the app for as long as possible. So in some capacity, whether you're hate watching, love watching, inspired, documenting, mood boarding, you're engaging and you're feeding the beast and then wondering or confused as to why the beast that you fed looks and feels the way it does. Babes you raise that beast. That's your baby, that's your face, that's your baby.
Speaker 2: That was a classic flex rant that we were just that, that felt vintage.
Speaker 1: That was perfect. Every now and then, you page always is dual leap of.
Speaker 2: Videos from a tour that knows we died.
Speaker 3: We've got a little little too many DM roasts missed you okay, and it.
Speaker 1: Knows who did you don't roast. There's also won he said ju a Liepa Khan dance and now it's playing. I love that dance. Is she? That was an iconic moment.
Speaker 2: The rest are just little chas, all different types of Really I'd say fifty percent.
Speaker 1: And so it should be. It's a beautiful gift.
Speaker 3: You know how when you like, let's say, for example, you can go go to dinner with a bunch of friends. Right, this is a good example. Go to dinner with a bunch of friends and you are telling the waiter, the waitress whoever, what your order is. And once that waitress goes, how often have you been like got a weird vibe from them and someone was like, oh I didn't feel out, Like that was completely fine. They were quite nice. Like what you're perceiving is how you perceive things, So like you're the way that you saw that is a reflection of how you saw that. So whether or not the person was pissy, or the person had an attitude or they were nice, we forget to take responsibility for like how we saw it.
Speaker 1: You are responsible.
Speaker 3: And it's like maybe you didn't consciously view behavior like that in that way, right, Maybe it's just like subconsciously or you had a weird experience or whatever. But I think we all just like to externalize. So like if I'm having a weird time on the app, it's the app. It's like, no, say it again, now I'm having a weird time on the app. Like the sentences phrased that way for a second. It's not like the app is making me feel weird. Sometimes it is, but then you know, like you're assigning like responsibility. But often it's like I feel weird that person was weird to me. It's like becoming aware, but like who cares? Because I feel like the internet is like so new that by the time we realize that we are partially responsible, we're going to be phased out anyway. We I mean like mid twenty year olds, we're going to get to forty and be like who cares? Just log off and then you will.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if the internet will be what it is now, but I can't see it being anything else.
Speaker 3: I think it'll just be like via anyway, complex rants don't get used to them. But I also wish that was going on the internet.
Speaker 1: Little tasty treat We'll see miss you by Flex and Frooms. They're the best.
Speaker 4: What a duo? You know?
Speaker 1: I love love love reading it.
Speaker 3: Am I the assholes, namely because I want to see people be people, and most people are unfortunately assholes. But a lot of you been doing method acting, performance art. You're trying to get me off your scent. I see you, I smell you. This one in particular is dating scentered, which I know you love. And look it's not written. It did, in fact come from a TikTok. Let me play the clip now.
Speaker 4: So I was supposed to on a date tonight at seven pm and we were supposed to go balling, and we made the date like three days ago, but he has in contacted me in three days and obviously didn't message me today to confirm the date and set seven. It's two pm, So in my head, the date's done. There's no date, no confirmation, no date. So then someone else asked me to go for coffee and I said yes, because like, why not?
Speaker 1: I don't actually have another.
Speaker 4: Date tonight, But I want to know if someone doesn't confirm to you the date of but you do have a time and a place set for your date, would you show up to the date or would you just.
Speaker 1: Automatically assume that it's off? Because like, it's what I'm assuming, Lady, what's going on?
Speaker 3: If one thing's for sure, you are allowing the Internet to rut your brain for free. Because the words that were coming out indicated sense be caaun, there was no sense.
Speaker 1: Coffee at seven pm? Can stop?
Speaker 4: Okay, stop.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, something about online dating rhetoric is frying brains left, right and center. Because this is what I'm hearing. You and this person have agreed to go on a date. There's a time set and a place set. In what world are you assuming the date isn't on? At what point do you say, I'm gonna check in?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: If you've set a time and date, you're the one who wants to confirm again, so confirm again.
Speaker 1: It's giving pretty princess.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, Definitely, I think like, oh, I think you do want someone to confirm absolutely day, But maybe she's like she wants more of a text.
Speaker 1: Like what if we let's say, let's say I.
Speaker 2: Want to go on a date with someone and they confirm a day three days? Poor, I don't want them to text me in the meantime. You're wasting my time. But yeah, you should be messaging a follow up. But what is stopping her from doing a follow up?
Speaker 1: This is exactly it.
Speaker 3: It's not saying that it's fair or just to not get the follow up, but to assume the date is off and then to not be the one following up. My concern is that when it comes to a lot of like dating conversation online, it's giving mixed signals and mixed energy. What everybody's asking for is a date and a time. You get a date in the time, now you want to follow up. I think this is why we have to be really discerning with the type of people we want to date. Clearly, you're not dating someone who's matching your energy. And also I believe that you have to like set the standard. This is the first time you're meeting this person, right, so, like they don't know anything about you, they don't know that there is a standard to a pole to The least you can do is be like, hey, just checking in usually like I would expect X, Y and Z all good, and if you go on the date, you have a good time. The standard's been set. I think we're doing a little bit too much for people who don't know anything about you. Like you said, a day and time has been set already, it's fair to assume the date is on, not not on, unless you've had one too many experiences where you've been stood up.
Speaker 1: I can't relate. That's not my story. You ever been stood up?
Speaker 3: No, I haven't had a lot of bad dating experiences. So I think sometimes we're having these comments and I think I don't mind being the I don't mind open communication, like I'm gonna hit someone and be like, hey, like what's the plan? So I think I'm getting a different result. But I think if people want to sit in passenger princess passive energy, then this is the consequence of passenger princess passive energy. You live in this like confusing stead of not knowing what's happening because you're not deciding.
Speaker 1: Anything, unfortunately, But you know, do you? What do I know?
Speaker 3: Cat flex and fromes you're listening to flex and firms?
Speaker 1: What the frick flex?
Speaker 2: There is a theory bubbling within my soul light come up with it obviously too real, and that is that you were either if you're if you grew up with sisters.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up with sisters? No?
Speaker 2: Just two brothers yea Rodney yes, no more docxing. I grew up with a sister, Olivia, And we were having this conversation the other day after I sent her a TikTok which was about whether or not you're a pink sister or a purple sister.
Speaker 1: Have you heard of this theory? Have not so.
Speaker 2: The theory is when you grew up, one sister chose everything that was pink, and one sister chose every was purple. And it's like an unspoken rule that if you were the pink sister, you were better, and if you're the purple sister, it's like a consolation prize.
Speaker 1: And it makes complete sense, does it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: And my sister and I actually currently in the middle of a terrest argument.
Speaker 1: I would say over text battle of the siblings.
Speaker 2: It's a battle of sibling that I like, I think I was the pink sister, but she's old. Yeah you would, but she's older than me, and she's she was the pink sister, and that I was the purple sister.
Speaker 3: Can I be candid place everything about you, says purple sister, part of me literally about you.
Speaker 1: It's giving quirky.
Speaker 4: I can't be there.
Speaker 3: You're quirky, off kilter, like it's purple sister, especially when you are the youngest.
Speaker 1: The stories you've told us about your childhood.
Speaker 3: Starting dance, dance battles in the what is it, the quad, the cafe, making your parents move house after they bought a house because you didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Of course, the house was hell wanted purple sister quality. Mount Waverley is a haunted suburb anyway.
Speaker 1: I just think you traditionally want to be a pink sister.
Speaker 2: I want to be pretty. I want to be the pink sister. I don't want to be quirky.
Speaker 1: It's just happened to me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be quirky, and I want to be the pink sister. So I'm just putting you down in the ether. I think I was the pink sister. But thankfully I have some video evidence that I'm yet to peru roll the tape.
Speaker 1: Tonight when I get home, I'm going to find the two.
Speaker 3: You don't have the evidence, which you're not hold up in the court of law. You can't say you have evidence. And they'd be like, when I get home, I'll start looking for it.
Speaker 2: But I would just before you and you have a sister and it's just two sisters, go home and ask his sister was either pink sister or the purple sister.
Speaker 1: Because the results will shock you.
Speaker 5: Flex and Frims, Flex and frames.
Speaker 4: Cater never miss a beat.
Speaker 3: We are about to call up a winner. We're hosting a live show recording on the island. Extremely boogie. You know there was budget this q one get out. We've got some VIP winners and we're gonna call one because let's get on the phone in twenty twenty two. Let's pick up the phone. Scary, Let's put mouth to receiver. Let's make it happen.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is Car speaking Carra. Oh my god, this is fun.
Speaker 3: This is what cold calling should feel like. Get me working at Greenpeace or something. Get me on the phone.
Speaker 5: How are you guys?
Speaker 1: Phenomenal?
Speaker 5: Really good? How are you expected? You know, I'm at work, so once five o'clock comes around, we'll be better.
Speaker 1: We do have a habit of calling people during work, but what must be.
Speaker 5: Done must be done.
Speaker 1: Listen, just calling to say you've been a winner.
Speaker 3: So something to carry you through the itist the congratulations, yay winning the IP. Tickets to our live show recording Always Sonny courtesy of Specs Savers. Come have a little tipple with us, a little inky poodle. It's going to be super lux at the island. All the hotties Sydney will be there. You know. It's a hoty congregation. We are doing recruiting as we speak, so if you've made the cart. You're one of one hundred hotties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, amazing, Thank you so much. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Oh yay, Look Kara. In your entry, you were talking a lot about animals. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I am an animal lover.
Speaker 2: Oh and I've heard you're kind of more of an animal lover than most people. You sleep with your animals in your bed and you let them lick your face.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, licking the face is it's special occasions only.
Speaker 1: But you know, we freestyling with that one. She was freestyling. Yeah, what kind of dog do you have?
Speaker 5: I have a gorgeous little black Cocker Spaniel. She's my pride and joy and she looks exactly like her mum. She's out and yeah, so she is like five months old and I'm just obsessed and everyone has to be obsessed with her. Know, she's not a chala.
Speaker 1: Do you live outside of home?
Speaker 5: Let you live?
Speaker 1: You live away from your parents?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: What made you make the plunge or like, take the plunge to get a pet? Because I'm freaking and I haven't lived at home for ten years. I'm like, I just don't feel adult enough to do that well.
Speaker 5: I decided, like during my UNI degree that my reward for finishing UNI was going to be to get a dog. And it was literally like my last day of exams. Ever, I hit submit and then I drove and put her up.
Speaker 1: So that's so hot. Oh that's lovely car. Look.
Speaker 2: I asked my parents for a dog when I was in year seven, and I told them I would stop having OCD if they got me one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 5: Didn't let that work out.
Speaker 1: She's still.
Speaker 5: But for you, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Rip Fried the anyway.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you can't bring you a little doggie to the island, but she will be there with us in spirit. To Queen indeed, little she sounds intelligent, Yeah she is.
Speaker 5: She's exactly like me, so of course, make.
Speaker 1: Sure intelligent Queen. Okay, that one really hit on.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take bye goodness.
Speaker 2: All right, well, all right, we gotta go, but we will see you on feb third on the island. Can you please bring us a framed photo of little miss Eider. I will be jewel it, yes, and then we can put it in our studio.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, amazing, she'll love that. I can't wait to Tella.
Speaker 1: Okay, lovely girl, We'll see you soon. Have a good day.
Speaker 5: Yeah you too. Bye bye, I.
Speaker 1: Gotta get out of the habitaclor people. Girl, What do you mean I said, bye, lovely girl? Oh sweet.
Speaker 2: It's like someone sent me a photo that was like, you know how we did the live show, the last live show that we had those paddles with our faces on it. Someone took a photo of my paddle but like t zo point five down on my forehead.
Speaker 1: And learned to me and said, hi, pretty girl. Pissed me up.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, Tune in De Caator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.