Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on My Me the podcast Millennials who Want Financial Freedom. Today is Friday, which means it's time to get the team together and celebrate you the incredible She's on the Money community. Today, I'm going to share some of my favorite money wins. Beck is going to share some of her best broke tips, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money to Lemma, which this week is all about redundancy. We're also going to unpack something U slid into our DMS about which is all about navigating pay rises. I feel like tis the season and the financial year. We're taking stock and it's just the girls this week, just me and Bet.
Speaker 2: This is so nice?
Speaker 4: Is nice?
Speaker 2: We never get to spend that much time together.
Speaker 5: No, this is love.
Speaker 2: It feels so cozy. Do you feel crazy? Do you feel cozy?
Speaker 4: Cozy and safe and loved. I think it's just going to be a good episode, you know, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: How's you we been? It's been good.
Speaker 4: I have nothing exciting to report from me. It's been very cold. I saw a post somewhere that said Australia is the worst performing in like the world for installation in housing, which I don't know what the standard of that is, but apparently to be like above standard, your house needs to sit at like eighteen degrees overnight with no heating or cooling. And I'm assuming like different places, it must be different, because like if you live in Iceland, maybe totally you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean. I don't know the specifics, but.
Speaker 4: I just saw this posts that said we performed really badly, and I thought about it this week because every morning I've gotten up to fourteen degrees in my house. How do you know that because we have our thermostat tells us of.
Speaker 6: Course you have a thermo stuff for the heating. In my mind, I'm like, you have like a little thermodon.
Speaker 2: After you churn your butter when we checked the Seriously, apart from that, nothing at all. How about you? Cool? This week? This week? This week? What have I done?
Speaker 6: You know, just like just doing a lot of freelance stuff, started doing some videos for How Cool Is?
Speaker 4: I love him? I love seems like the nicest person.
Speaker 2: He's so sweet, you know.
Speaker 6: When I was like chatting to him about this video stuff, he was like, I'm so grateful that you wanted to meet with me. I'm like, what the hell You're Asha Gunsberg, the Thesha Gunsberg.
Speaker 2: It's like the literal queen coming back from the day and be like, oh my god, thank you so much for me. No, thank you so much for meeting with me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So sweet.
Speaker 6: But anyway, so just been working heaps. Haven't been paid yet, and that's okay. I feel like it's the same old story with me every week, and like I'm broke.
Speaker 2: I'm broke.
Speaker 4: It's but one day you're in the middle of like a tough cycle like everything's changed and everything's on like thirty day payment terms or monthly payment. That's really I feel like a lot of us have been in that situation where you started a new job maybe and you finish your old job, but you have like a month where you don't get paid because you've come in like just after the cycle.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my goodness. But then when you get that pay, god, it's fat.
Speaker 4: What are your payment terms on your voices? By the way, that's a great question. I never really have been a freelancer. This whole thing is new to me.
Speaker 6: But I put, like I was trying to be cheeky, and I was like, my date that this is due?
Speaker 2: Is this what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: By the way, like date the next Yeah, when you're catch So I put like a week, and then they came back and they're like, actually, it's thirty days for us, And I was like, oh, okay, yeah, I didn't argue, so I guess now it's like a thirty day turnaround.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is that the norm? It depends.
Speaker 4: Say, I know that a lot of businesses will process the invoices monthly. My old corporate job, that was one of my jobs was we process like the company's like outstanding invoices and that was like a once a month tash. Sure, but I personally feel like in this day and age, there's no good reason to not pay within My payment terms are fourteen days usually on my invoices, unless someone comes back back with you and says, oh, can we adjust that? And then normally I'm relatively flexible, but I mean it's very inconvenient in your situation currently, and I mean it is up for debate, Like they can come back and say thirty and you could have said, can we meet in the middle of fourteen or something? Sure, like it just needs to be agreed upon. But my standard term on my freelance in voices are fourteen days usually. Okay, maybe I'll do that. I didn't think to do that. I was just like, oh, you know more than I do, because I never even that's just about their processes and make sure their light easy. They're like, we want to process it within this amount of time, and I mean it depends as well. Like I feel like at the moment, you're in the position where we have all been where you're kind of likeck, I'll just take what I can get, thank you so much, Like I don't want to argue, don't want to rock the boat, which is totally fine. But I think once you're a bit more settled and you know, a bit more feeling like you're in your center of power or whatever, you can be a little bit more like you can push back on it a little more because it is not that hard to facilitate unless they are literally just paying an accountant one day out of a month to process things, gotcha. Generally speaking, it can be done if it needs to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: I have this like funny thing that's like, you know, when you argue back or like not it's not arguing, but like you push back on something or you like come back with like you try and meet in the middle.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I'm always like, oh my gosh, they're going to be like, actually, you know.
Speaker 6: What, since you're being difficult, we're not going to pay this ever, So that's my fear.
Speaker 2: But I will if you've already done the work.
Speaker 6: If it can't work that right, they come like, no, you're being annoying, We're not going to pay you.
Speaker 4: No. I mean, I think it's probably good to get out of the way a set of time, like when you're onboarding a client, or when you're like speaking to someone about potentially like working with them, it's a good thing to just kind of flag or you have like a generic email that you send with all of your basic actesnc's or whatever, because then you can kind of avoid that down the track. But yeah, otherwise, like it's like anything, it's all up for discussion.
Speaker 2: Okay, really good to know.
Speaker 6: Actually it has been a rough few weeks, as you know, I think I want to live vicariously through other people.
Speaker 2: So let's go through money wins.
Speaker 4: Well done, done, it was very smooth. I've got a bunch of really good ones. I'm going to start with one from Malice, who said I went to Woolworth's yesterday for a few items, and a lovely lady at the self serve checkouts approached me to offer me a gift basket on behalf of Woolworths because as they're trying to help their customers out with cost of living. She said it was a nice gesture and completely unexpected. And then somebody else, Taylor, said she had the same experience. So they must be just I don't know how they're figuring out or deciding, but they're just randomly sprinkling little my goodies to people. Though I know I need to head to that war work, I'm assuming it would be pretty much everywhere, But I just thought that was a really nice I mean, you know, really nice. They're making like record breaking profits and you know, really screwing the pooch.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 4: It's a really nice thing for them to give some people to give fasket. I guess next, I've put the money in from Alana, who said money loss. This one's a bit of a journey. Money loss. Dropped an airport pro When I was out in my walk money win. Found said AirPod pro on the road. When I went back to look for Oh, great money loss. Okay, it had been run over. I see money win.
Speaker 2: Oh it did still.
Speaker 5: God, sorry, this is great money win.
Speaker 2: It still worked.
Speaker 4: Money loss. It only half since I told you it was a journey's journey.
Speaker 2: Money loss. It only half worked.
Speaker 4: So I bought a new pair to claim on this year's tax. Oh it was all over the place that I do actually have one extra money win. Someone commented. Catherine commented and said, if you take them into Apple with your airpod's case because you've lost one or you've had one runover or whatever, they'll replace it for cheaper.
Speaker 2: And then somebody else said.
Speaker 4: Apparently you can buy a single airport, like you can replace just the one airpot.
Speaker 2: Really email or something to I think it Apple like you can just buy a singular AirPod.
Speaker 4: Which I thought was crazy because I just.
Speaker 2: Assumed you'd have to.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I assumed, but that you just have to buy a whole new one. And then I was like, well, then you just have one extra airport in case you lose one.
Speaker 6: I don't know, well money lost, money loss again, because there's people coming back and being like, hey, you didn't have to do that, you could I know, Well.
Speaker 2: It's all happening under this comment. That was the best journey. I'm really sorry, Alana, but thank you so much for sharing.
Speaker 6: I think that was absolutely, honestly amazing, so poetic.
Speaker 2: I want more of these.
Speaker 4: Get out of ten for storytelling. I love the storytelling.
Speaker 2: You good to know that you can buy a singular pod.
Speaker 4: As someone who absolutely I'm sure at some point in my life I will lose an air pod. Yes, that is so good to know. And I'm sure I've seen or heard of people who have lost one and gone I have to buy a whole new one. How annoying.
Speaker 2: Totally Apparently you.
Speaker 4: Don't have to apparently apparently. Next, I've got money in from Claire. She said, money win. She had over ten people RSVP no to were wedding next month.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 4: Someone replied and said, I love this outlook, and Claire came back and said, I was getting so excited with every note that came through because we hit one thousand dollars that we wouldn't have to spend because of how many people had said no ching. She said, hot tip, do a weekday wedding. Not only will you say when you're per head costs, but some people are too busy they can't even come.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's actually a great idea. And it sounds like no hard feelings.
Speaker 6: She's she's so happy that's a wedding gift. One hundred percent. Your gift is you know how people say your presence is.
Speaker 2: Your lack of presence is a present. I feel like that's a really positive way to spin it. Absolutely, I love that. Well done, Claire.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got money win from Angela, and she said she's making use of free group fitness classes at her workplace. She said, it's a strength and positive win for her wellbeing.
Speaker 2: I just want to remind people YouTube.
Speaker 4: I've been really into the YouTube yoga classes because as you as I've said, I'm in my parts Princess era. I'm loving it. Happily paid class but they're not cheap. Yeah, and so I like to do yogur as well, but I was like, I cannot justify having two sets of memberships. So I've been yoga with Adrian. I feel like every person on the planet knows yoga with Adrian. But you'll hear me like you don't.
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 6: But I'm also thinking, like yoga's quite zin and then like halfway through there's like the loudest KFC ad to ever exist.
Speaker 2: That I actually don't think I've had that problem about it.
Speaker 4: I do like I turn the lights down, I try and like set up like a yoga studio vibe but a candle.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's like.
Speaker 6: What if I don't care like the of your beautiful zen.
Speaker 2: I'm just like in down with dogs in my mind. That is the funniest thing. So it hilarious. Keep doing it. Don't buy YouTube premium, just sit through the case through.
Speaker 4: Thats just a good reminder, like if you're also wanting to do your health journey and maybe a workplace doesn't do them, Like there's so many people on YouTube who do really awesome workouts, all different kinds.
Speaker 2: Too, and they're free. Oh my god, that's so good.
Speaker 4: We love that. Last I've got moneyven for Emily who said money win. I saved six dollars on fuel with seven to eleven fuel lock this week, fuel the same fifteen bucks one time.
Speaker 2: That crazy, Well, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: Checking out the areas too, Like I drove down the coast the other day and petrol in my area was like two dollost twenty.
Speaker 2: Went down the coast, it was only eighty. Yes, I was on my app so fast locking that. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: But I saw in Melton one dollar sixty for those paying.
Speaker 2: How good is that? He was sixty. It was a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: So if it's changed, doesn't it pain you? I like, I remember feel so old. I remember when I was like a dollar twenty for petrol. I'm twenty and now I like, if I saw a dollar twenty, I would lose my damn mind. Oh my god, I would be filling up Jerry, I was about to say.
Speaker 6: I'd buy so many jerocans. Oh my gosh, those were the days. Honestly, I remember there was a time when it was eighty nine cents again like in like he went up to one fifty.
Speaker 2: It was like the standard and went.
Speaker 6: Down at eighty nine cents. You remember those days. No, it was a very short period of time.
Speaker 4: I'd a mister you remember producer remembers during COVID those were the days.
Speaker 6: Those were the days, COVID days. I missed that when everyone was sick, kidding.
Speaker 4: And we all were nice and supportive of each other, exactly for me.
Speaker 2: Do you have some beautiful broke tips?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: To I do? I do have some broke tips. This is this is so weird. This never happened before. It's just a coincidence. I have some broke tips.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I only discovered this this morning, and apparently guys knew for a long time. And I think I've been spending a lot of money, way more than I should have been.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so.
Speaker 6: I'm sure some people have heard of Energy Made Easy dot g au. So basically I went on there this morning and I'm with house Shop, which I already knew probably wasn't the cheapest, but I just typed it all my details and then it kind of came back with what I could be paying every year.
Speaker 2: Like it gives you like offers, you upload.
Speaker 4: One of your bills, right, so it assesses I think, based on like it's giving you an accurate idea, like it measures the amount that easy used and your hairs it to pricing other places.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure yes, And I don't know if you have to upload the whole bill, but it just like there's a number on your bill that you just have to like enter into there. So just like make sure you have bill handy. There's nothing more annoying than when you're like, oh, just quickly do this while I'm like scrolling on the toilet and they're like, can we have your literally everything you've ever needed?
Speaker 2: And it's so annoying. But anyway, so just have a bill handy.
Speaker 6: That's all you need and then go on, just jump on and see what you can get because it's so much cheaper than I want to pay, and it's almost sickening how much I could have had. But anyway, now I usually do start with community broke tips, but this week because I put something on my story yesterday and if you're not following me at BECKSID if you like, and I just I wanted.
Speaker 2: To run through a few little broke tips.
Speaker 6: That people had, which I think a lot of them, Like some of them are general knowledge. Some of them you might not have even thought of before. One that we did talk about a long time ago. I think, actually this is so weird because it.
Speaker 2: Was just us two last night. I spoke about this.
Speaker 6: I coined in from the reject shop and save all You'll loose change suah. And if that's like I remember talking about it, and I was saying that I like put fifty bucks in and then like within twenty minutes like had my mail, clippers and everything that I could find to try and open it back up. But if you're not like me, it's a really good way to Obviously you won't get like interest and things like that, but if you just want somewhere where you literally physically cannot touch your money, just like chuck in a coined in, they're actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: They're very very hard to open.
Speaker 4: The way to set up the habit of saving too, just like getting it. I mean, like if you're someone who will take it out of your bank. It's so hard to touch. The nail clips aren't going to do the job. Like it's a good way to just get it. Like some people will put all their coins in. I know someone who would save all their five dollar notes.
Speaker 6: Is another one, Yes, exactly, And it does feel so good and then you become motivated and you can get out anyway. I've got another one that says, only is a small pea sized amount of toothpaste. You don't need to cover your entire toothbrush. This person has saved so much money, genuinely, like over the year by just like reducing the amount of toothpaste you use. Yeah, you still you can scrub the teeth, you can get all over the mouth, but you just like half your toothpaste about and just see how much you save. And it doesn't seem like a lot in the short term, but in the long term, like how much you spending on toothpaste.
Speaker 4: Laundry powder too, reduce the amount of lady put in exactly since when I'm sorry, I went to buy laundry pods the other day, sixty dollars for how many I couldn't tell you, Like if they were like the pre made pods, not like the box of powder.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry, sixty dollars.
Speaker 4: It was half priced at like thirty four or something, and I was like, are you very joking? I genuinely could up like powder only from now on.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Yeah, oh I couldn't believe it. Oh my god. That's but even then, yeah, less powder saved you more money. Yeah, totally, We'll just cut your pot in half. You could do. That would be very very messy.
Speaker 6: That tide pod sensation where everyone was like eating them, that is weird, but I get it.
Speaker 2: They do look very like nice and chewey.
Speaker 4: They very plump, plump, like the squeezing of them. I'm like, I just like have a little bit.
Speaker 6: Another person says potato cakes are still two dollars for three in a lot of places, so you can get it for filling and tasty snack all the cheap.
Speaker 2: Everyone's forgotten about the potato cakes. Potato cake totally, that's more than enough.
Speaker 6: I mean not for me. I'm gonna go with like, I'm gonna say nine potato cakes, but that's still what is that like six bucks? That's a whole meal, you know what? I mean chicken. You So if all els veils, grab yourself a potato cake. Someone said, inherent intergenerational wealth. Great ones and so easy to do. It's so easy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: This one I found was I really do think was interesting and it does probably seem like a little bit out of reach for a lot of people. But avoid paying rent by living in a van and occasionally how sitting.
Speaker 2: I guess if you're like a solo and I've literally thought.
Speaker 6: About this in the past, like buy myself a van, get an anytime fitness membership, shower it anytime fitness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then occasionally how sit?
Speaker 4: I get van life stuff on my TikTok a lot. Yeah, And it looked so fun, so fun, so fun. Another good one is pet sitting or house sitting. Yes, a friend of ours rate from mindlin your money. Actually house SATs like a prolonged period of time. I think she was house sitting and petty sitting for someone through like a platform. I can't remember what it was, but she lived there for I want to say, over a month, like it was a prolonged period of time. And you're paid to like live, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're saving so much money.
Speaker 4: You're saving so much money, you get to live somewhere nice and maybe in a cool location. Maybe there's a fun little fairy friend for you to hang out with. Like, it seems like all ups to me totally. Any downsides, No, not that we can think of, Not that we can think of. I'll leave it on this one.
Speaker 6: Someone else said, cold shower as low as both your gas bills and your therapy bills.
Speaker 2: That is so true. I did go through a period of cold showers, did you. I did.
Speaker 6: And it's like you do have to work your way up like that, like hyperventilating that you get. Honestly, I didn't even flinch after like a few weeks of cold showers. It's crazy. It's crazy. And it is so good for the brain. I mean, it's got for.
Speaker 2: Your hair too.
Speaker 4: Apparently it's good for your hair, it's good for your immune system. I didn't get sick at all. So you're saving money on like cold and flu tablets. Now, if you have a clinical you know, diagnosis, this might not help you. But if you're just like generally feeling flat, it could help you your mental health.
Speaker 2: It's just like ice bathing. It's ice barth sort of situation.
Speaker 4: Like I so many people say it's so good, they feel so great, traila a lot, and I just don't think I could physically get myself to I think my fight or flight would kick in and my body would be like no, like holding onto the sides, like don't put me in, don't put me in.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, it would be the help up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I could.
Speaker 2: Be that person for you. Thank You'm welcome.
Speaker 4: On that note, let's head to a really quick break and when we come back, we're going to chat about something that we have both experience, which is a redundancy, and we get to unpack something that you, guys slit into ot dms about which this week is all about pay rises and how to navigate them.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, guys. Welcome back, guys. Here's our money dilemma.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show now let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, I've just been made redundant and I'm pretty down about it, to be honest. So I was wondering what I should do when it comes to my resume. Should I mention the redundancy or just pretend that I quit? Is their stigma around redundancy because this is all very new to me. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm so sorry that you're going through this because we've both experienced redundancy. Back obviously is navigating the waters of that. And I think it's interesting because we I've said this to you before, I feel like we both handled it extremely differently.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Very excited because I feel like we've got two different kinds of trains of thought on this.
Speaker 2: Do you want first? Because you're lack in the thick of it right now?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 6: Sure, sure, this is a really good question. On my resume and my even my cover letters as well. I mentioned that I had been made redundant because I kind of wanted my future employers to know that I had no intention of leaving the company, Like I am quite loyal and I don't know if that's a thing anymore, Like do people care about that, but I was like, you know, I had no intention of leaving this place.
Speaker 2: I really loved my job.
Speaker 6: Also because I had only been in the role for like a year, so I was like, I don't know what this will look like. I want them to know that I had no choice in this and I loved this job and I love this kind of work. So I made it a point to mention. But when you look at me, it's been three months and I haven't got a job so frillancing. I am frillancing at the same place that I got made redundant. So it's it's, you know, I've made those connections with me, those relationships, and they say that they do know that I've been made redundant, of course, but I feel like that's probably more so because of the relationships I have unless so the you know, they don't didn't have to like look at my rasume or anything. So but if you look at like the outside of that, it's like, oh, I've not really had much success the field of looking of searching, and so.
Speaker 2: Maybe you shouldn't do that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think that it's a bad thing. I think that the circumstances of redundancy probably play a big role. For example, you know, there's a difference between being laid off as a part of you know, a thirty percent cut across a business versus if perhaps your role was proved to be ineffective. Not that it should matter, but I think that people might sometimes perceive it a little bit differently, like they you know, there's a risk in the smaller scale that people might go, oh, like, was it because that job wasn't needed? Was it because perhaps they weren't you know, fulfilling the needs of the role or whatever. So I mean, I guess as an argument of that, I don't think it's a bad thing to have it on your CV. I think, like, as you said, it's a good way to explain the change, yea. And I think that ultimately, like nobody should be held to be at fault for being made redundant. And that's where I say that we had very different experiences or like can be redundan very differently, because I think you've been so positive in your experience and you've just been really like, you know, it is what it is, and you've taken it on and you've copped it, and you're just like it'll be fine. I'll figure it out you like, which I think is very reflective of your personality and just how you take on life. But I remember it's been many, many years, thankfully since I was made redundant and I was a mess. I just I took it really hard. And I want to say to our listener in case they're feeling the same way, that your redundancy is not a reflection of you as a person or you as an employee, because I think when it happened to me, I took it really personally and I felt like I was a failure, and I felt like no one's gonna want to imploy me because I got made redundant, and it was really hard to separate myself and my skill set and then talk myself up when I felt like I had failed. So I just want to say that as a little addendum in regards to the resume, I think have it on there. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I think it also allows you to have that conversation when you're in the room, if you're hopefully having an interview, you can chat through the conversation or the experience a little bit more and explain, not that you owe anybody in an explanation, but let them know maybe what happens, Like, was it a big workforce like change and unfortunately you just ended up on the chopping block? Was it that you know, it was a really small business and during COVID they had to scale back and you were.
Speaker 2: A fallout as a part of that.
Speaker 4: There's so many different things that can happen when it comes to the stigma side of things. I want to say, no, I think the stigma mostly probably comes from insight, like from us, like what I was saying that I really did and I really took on. I would hope that employers aren't holding something like a redundancy against you. It's very different from being fired, and maybe we should clarify in case there as anybody who doesn't know the difference. When you're fired, it's because your employer has decided that they feel that you're not fulfilling the needs of your role in one way or another. Generally speaking, maybe culturally you're not the right fit. Maybe you know, the workload isn't quite aligned to what you take on, or your skill set isn't quite right.
Speaker 2: And obviously it's a much broader.
Speaker 4: You know, you can be fired unfairly, and there are all of these, like, there's lots of complex reasons I suppose why you can be let go. But a redundancy is very specific in that your role ceases to exist. It's not a matter of oh, Beck, well we're going to get rid of you. You're made redundant, but we're going to put someone else in the exact same job. Redundancy means that that role within that company no longer exists, and as a result, the employee can no longer fulfill it. And sometimes you're lucky and you can be put into a different role in the same company, but sometimes, unfortunately, that means that you are no longer employed.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are so right about that.
Speaker 6: Really powerful what you say about how the stigma comes from within.
Speaker 2: That's really beautiful, Steve, Isn't that I wanted to ask you?
Speaker 4: Have you felt like when you've had to tell people that you've been made redundant, maybe friends or family or people around you, your network because you're looking for a job. How have you felt doing that? Has it been relatively easy? Have you felt any judgment or anything like that?
Speaker 6: Honestly, worrying about judgment, never even for a micro.
Speaker 2: Second cross my mind.
Speaker 6: I think I was more just like, this is a bit awkward, because it's like saying I've gone to a car accident or something something that like people immediately kind of like, oh, I'm so sorry, or like and I think I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: That was my immediate response to you, which.
Speaker 6: Is honestly lovely, Like I personally like, I know this is probably not a popular opinion, but a pity and sympathy.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: Me please later on me, I love it, but I guess at the start, I was like really sad. So when you messaged me, I was like, this is so kind. I'm really really grateful for your sympathy and your empathy. And then toward now, because it's been so long, when I tell people, I'd still like to tell people I'm not working because I was made redundant, but the emotion's kind of gone now and I'm still like in the office, so I still see people. I'm not grieving the loss of like the whole company in my day to day and the culture anymore because I'm still here. So when I tell people that, I'm more just like I just feel a bit awkward.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just like, oh, I just like but I was made redundant. But hey, everything's okay. Now look at me.
Speaker 6: I'm having great time. So I think that's my only concern in telling people. But at the start, I was like kind of like, hey, I was made redundant. Can everyone give me attention? Now, everyone give some sympathy, and everyone showered me in gifts and love and it was a really while it was like a really awful thing to happen, the days that followed were like so much fun. Like everyone was like messaging me, Like producer came over and like sat on the stroop outside of my house with me, and like we just like had a great time. So yeah, I honestly haven't worried about judgment, and I don't think anyone's judged me as.
Speaker 2: Well, like even Urry quite.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so. But I don't think people think like that about redundancy. Even with like being fired, I feel like it is different, but it's still, you know, in this cost of living, this like kind of like everyone's kind of being made redundant. No one really knows what's going on, whether you're fired or made redundant. People are kind of like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You know, what about you? How did you feel?
Speaker 4: I remember I was really embarrassed, and I think that comes back to internalizing the way that I was feeling. And yeah, I don't think that anybody judged me. I would certainly never judge anybody. You don't know anyone who would. But I think again, like because I was feeling like the problem was me and I was feeling like, oh my gosh, like I can't believe this. I don't want to tell anybody like I really embarrassed is the word that comes to mind. And like, obviously I told the people around me, who were all same as you, very supportive, very kind, but I think professional sense I was like, well what do I do? And so my one piece of advice, in addition to like letting it go and being okay with it because it's not something that you should feel bad about, is jump on LinkedIn if you're not already on LinkedIn, because I think like a little post to your network just saying hey, everybody, I'm now looking for you.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to go into it.
Speaker 4: I'm mail looking for new opportunities in xyzed. If anyone knows of anything.
Speaker 2: Let me know.
Speaker 4: I'm a big fan of LinkedIn for networking. I think it's awesome for that kind of stuff. And you never know who knows someone who knows someone that might be looking to hire your role. So I would say, do use your network as much as you can, put feelers out to people you've worked with previously, all those kinds of things. But yeah, ultimately, don't feel bad about it.
Speaker 2: It's not your fault.
Speaker 4: I love that and I completely agree. Not to change the tone a little bit, but shall we talk still career focused? Actually this is kind of in theme, oh group, this week's money dilemma? Do you want to hear it? Please listener set hi fam I've got a money dilemma and any advice would be so appreciate it. I have been working in the same company for almost two years now. I've been on the same pay since internship through to full time while taking on more responsibility. I thought about changing jobs, but one of the teammates left the company and I was off at their role at that time. My manager said we could have the salary talk in a few months. So I had been taking more work for the same amount of pay. Fast forward three months to today. I finally had the salary talk, but was told the promotion didn't get approved and they will work to get me there in another three months. I didn't get the rais I was looking for, and they are now hiring for someone new entry level, but at a higher pay rate than me. My manager is aware of this and said it's not fair. However, nothing practical has been done. Should I still be waiting another three months or is this assigned to leave?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, nothing makes me more annoyed.
Speaker 6: I think two because this is quite topical with a lot of my friends, and actually we were just talking about this off air. But I think some employers they dangle a carrot, so you're like doing all the work still and doing it to your best ability because you're like, oh, I really want this pay rise. I'm gonna work so hard to get there, and then they dangle this carrot, they give you hope, and then you keep working really really hard, so your output is like probably the amount of like one and a half to two people, and they're paying you very low. If I've understood this correctly, the same rate as when they were an intern.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, that is outrageous.
Speaker 6: That is not even like subtly gently paying you a little bit less. That's like, this is so outrageous. Don't stay there any longer because the longer you just try it, just keep looking, maybe doing quit immediately because like turns out it's not that easier to but just start looking right now, because I can guarantee you'll find something that pays better. And also the amount of time that you're waiting for this pay rise that might not ever come. Imagine like if you got something that paid like several hundred dollars extra a month, what a difference it would make, What a difference it would make, and how much more money you would be on like what you're wasting money, Not that you are, but you could be making so much.
Speaker 2: I just think you need to look elsewhere maybe if you can. I agree.
Speaker 4: I think in two years you should have just had a standardized pay rise, you know, in line with we've spoken about, in line with inflation. It was very controversial, but some sort of pay rise in a two year period as a minimum, let alone with the jump from internship to full time employee, which suggests a jump in skill set and as our listener said, responsibility totally. I think like everything that they have said, from you know how long it has been, to the fact that they're hiring someone at a higher pay rate than them, to the fact that they were asked to take on you know, their colleagues's role for the same amount of pay, it all just says to me so clearly that you are not valued or respected in your workplace. And I think ultimately, even if they turn around in three months it's like okay, yeah, like we'll give you a five percent pay rise and you go, Okay, that's great, the lack of respect doesn't change. Yes, Like you can pay somebody more and still be undervaluing them or still be not recognizing the value that they bring to their team or whatever it is that they're doing. And I think that you probably get to a point where, even if those good things do come, if you feel like you haven't been looked after or haven't been valued, that can be hard to get pasted too. And I think that mentally it sounds like it might be weighing on you a little bit, And I don't know that that will go away even if you get what you want, even if you do get that pay rise. So I think I completely agree leaving to me is the only sound option. As you said, make sure you have something lined up before you go. But I think that waiting three months in the hope that something will change, I don't think that it will. No, let's run through what everybody else had to say, though. We said, have you experienced anything similar in your job?
Speaker 2: This was so close.
Speaker 4: Fifty one percent cent yes, I've been in a situation exactly like this, and forty nine percent said no, I've had no issues with this stuff.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: Next, we said, if this was you, would you stay or would you leave? Two percent of people said I would stick it out and stay. Ninety eight percent of people said I'd.
Speaker 2: Be out the door. Bab WHOA. That's it.
Speaker 4: I think it's so clear to everybody that it seems like there's only one option.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'll read through some of the of course, two cents. I was just gonna say, like, I don't. When you're in it, you don't see it. So I think it's really good too. I'm really glad this this person wrote in, because now she can they can hopefully see.
Speaker 4: Hopefully enough people telling you will make you feel good about making the choice exactly. Firstly, somebody said don't let them exploit you any further, Queen, which I completely agree with. Somebody else said, review entitlements under the award. You can do this on the Fairwork website because you might actually have a case for being underpaid depending on what those rates were at an internship level. Somebody else said in Australia, the best way to get a pay rise is to switch jobs. Times have changed from when loyalty paid off. We've done a full even Victoria did a whole episode on that on job popping, and it is true. Unfortunately, the statistics don't lie. Somebody else said Red Flag read the book work Won't Love You Back. I haven't read it, but sounds like it could be really interesting. Someone did say, I suppose a play Devil's Advocate. If you do stay, ask for agreed upon KPIs for the next three months and schedule in progress check ins fortnightly or regularly, which I think is probably a good thing to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They also said any renegotiated pay should be paid from the commencement of the role three months ago, so see if you can backpay it, which I think are both really practical ideas. If you do choose to stay, to make sure that you're still being looked after. The person who wrote all that in is actually a HR man. Sorry, she wrote lots of things in what's the Little Boxes because you could only fit so many And she said she's a HR manager and pay is primarily based on role, so a change in responsibility should equate to a change in pay, yes, which obviously isn't what happened. Quite a few people have said that she's being charged a loyalty tax. Somebody said, no, you're worth and chase it completely agree. Lots of people just saying this is a big red flag. This is so disrespectful. You're not being valued, gir you need to run like I can't even tell you. I'm scrolling and scrolling and scrolling, and all of these messages are echoing effectively the same sentiment, which is run baby. Literally, couldn't have said it more concise, Get out of their girl.
Speaker 2: Also name and Jane, I mean message us. Yeah, you got us know we're always curious, yes, curious.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I feel like I really don't have anything to add to that other than no, exactly what we've said that you feel like you're being undervalued, and chances are ifyone elsewhere you could earn more money doing the same, maybe even doing less, and find a space that respects and values you for everything that you're doing, because, at a bare minimum, that's what you deserve.
Speaker 6: Yes, completely agree. Also get some revenge. Quit day of never go back. I know it's not allowed, but just do it.
Speaker 2: You're like Policiy and just be out of there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, exactly, No, I think it's a great place to leave it. Get out of there girl, and you got this agreed.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys so much for joining us this week. Victoria will be back next week, which is very exciting. It's been fun hanging out with you, Bexter has been so much fun lovely. If you want to keep up with us, if you want to join in on our polls that we do every week for Money Dilemma, you can find us on Instagram at She's in the Money AUS. We've got a Facebook group as well. We'd love to see you there. But otherwise, have a fab weekend and Victoria will see you Broughton early on Monday.
Speaker 2: From Money Diary, Bye guys. Bye.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sheerper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine