Speaker 1: iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 3: Got anything Good?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 5: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey this is Christian here. Thank you very much for checking out today's show. Now, if you listen to our show, you're already one of us. But why don't we take it a step further? I invite you to join our exclusive bright Siders Platinum Club. I'll started calling the show the bright side of the Dial. It's our way of letting you know what are shows about, what we stand for, And the bright side is Platinum Club is our very own inner circle. So come and join us. What do you get when you join the bright Side is Platinum Club. You get your own membership card. You can also get access to our private inner circle. It's a private Facebook group. In there our first alert early ideas before they become anything on the show, which means you can outshape the show and also say no before something becomes a bad idea on the show. You get the time wasters the day before when Rie and I come up with the ideas of the time wasters, you'll hear them before anybody else. Also every Friday, dropping into your inbox a unique private message from me to all the bright Siders, only the bright Siders not on air. So if you want to join us, the only thing I need you to do is text the word bright Siders to four seven five three one oh four three. I look forward to seeing you in there and now enjoy today's show.
Speaker 5: Who are Christian O'Connell Show Podcast?
Speaker 2: Good morning, Rio, good morning, Good morning, Pats morning, and good morning Alex.
Speaker 1: Gooday.
Speaker 2: So FIL's right that we should start today's show by talking about the life and times of an incredible man, which is Neil Danaher Alex Hughes's story today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really.
Speaker 6: Upset this morning, Christian, and as is the country really a former Australian of the Year back in twenty twenty five, and this man was a legend, godfather. He's been described by some AFL coaches and he's responsible for a lot of coaches getting their jobs.
Speaker 1: Chris Fagan.
Speaker 6: We just turned in the sports and hears there, the coach of the Brisbane Lions. He has raised over one hundred million dollars for m and this man just fought and fought and fought this disease for thirteen long years. Normally it takes people a lot less than that. Takes a lot less than that to take people this awful, awful disease. We also learned in the National Regular ag j Rrow South Sydney, Queens story last year heartbreaker at thirty years old. He's got a young child. He was diagnosed in December last year, and it's just this awful disease that just keeps, it just keeps popping up.
Speaker 2: I actually think it's one of the cruelest ones that people can get because it stripped you of almost everything and he.
Speaker 1: Was only given Nil's had it.
Speaker 2: Neil got diagnosed what thirteen years ago, given twenty seven months to live exactly. And when they talk about it's not what happens to your life, it's what you make of what happens to you in life. His reaction to getting that awful diagnosis to choose a life of literally selfless service is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's something sort of awe inspiring.
Speaker 2: Actually, I went to the Big Freeze in twenty eighteen when we first moved here, and I met him and his daughter Beck and he was still able to walk them and just I saw for hours he was marching around the MCG and just going into different rooms, you know, and he refused to he refused to let you have any pity for him. He just wanted a cure for that disease. And the thing is around the world MND. The research into it is led by Nil's foundation and the money they've raised over the years. It's all literally led by Melbourne, Australia and Neil Danaher and his foundation and what his family have done. It is incredible. His life story is it's devastating the news today and yesterday when the family announced it. But also what inspiration.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you say right about that, you know, it's not the circumstances, it's how you deal those second circumstances.
Speaker 1: So can you be getting a state funeral?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, he will have a state funeral one hundred and fifty percent because he means so much to so many people. You know, Born in New South Wales Country, New South Wales, one of four brothers, playing for the Essendon footy club and he went on to coach the Melbourne Demons as well, over two hundred games and an inspiration to so many And as I said, those coaches as well. So many tributes pouring in across the sporting landscape, not just AFL, but across the country. And that's the difference this man made to everyone's lives, especially those who are going through and all those families and.
Speaker 1: Just this this awful, awful disease.
Speaker 6: And I am boyed by the fact also that NRL fans are calling for an MND round, which I think is a really really good idea.
Speaker 1: What a great legacy.
Speaker 2: If they were able to organize that, that's a great because the next big freeze under two weeks time, definitely very.
Speaker 1: Special on King's birthday. Yeah, and he was.
Speaker 6: Due to make some medie appearances next week. And so it's come as a real shock that Neil Neil is no longer with us, But our family are in our thoughts, His family is in our thoughts, and we just we love that man and the legacy he leaves and just couldn't be more proud of what he's done and what he's achieved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said I.
Speaker 5: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Every Tuesday morning, on the show, first half an hour, we go around the team we ask you as well, how was your Monday how did you start the week which you say you're a Monday winner or loser?
Speaker 1: Rio your Monday winner or a loser.
Speaker 7: I'm a loser.
Speaker 8: It does feel a little bit enough to be complaining about what I'm going to complain about coming off the back of what NewYork dallist fort but our holiday rentals, me and Caitlyn producer Caitlyn, we're staying here for a week.
Speaker 7: There's one lou roll to last us for the entire week.
Speaker 2: Come on, if you if you know there are two adults in there, that's actually ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It is we've got that is not a super host behavior. That's awful.
Speaker 7: It's really bad.
Speaker 8: I've only noticed it late last night, so I was thinking I might have to grab some Nixon from work on my way.
Speaker 7: My way back.
Speaker 1: It was shocking a loo role for two adults.
Speaker 7: And also there's just nothing in the place.
Speaker 1: So we've got this, and you checked the cupboards, I've.
Speaker 7: Checked all the cupboards. The cupboards is another point of contention.
Speaker 1: How many are locks. I don't like it where they have one locked one.
Speaker 8: There is one locked one in the bathroom. I suspect that's where the role is hiding.
Speaker 7: So I don't. I don't quite know how to pick.
Speaker 2: Up Catholic primary school I went to where if you want to go for a number two you got to put your hand up and they wouldn't let look. There was no loo role in the toilets. Who had the teacher would give you a couple of not the loo roll a couple of sheets out, so they go, what do you need to go? And you'd say one or two and then they would rushing out.
Speaker 1: It was nuns. Yeah, that's s threwed.
Speaker 2: Up angry nuns. I was raised by angry nuns. Patia, you were a Monday winner or loser.
Speaker 9: I'm going to say I'm a winner because I had the best pedicure of my life yesterday day, Absolutely fantastic. It was ninety minutes of pure bliss and they did things to my feet and legs that I never.
Speaker 7: Had done before.
Speaker 1: Feet and leg where to God, it was brilliant.
Speaker 2: What a rough start for a week for some poor lady. Right now, someone are saying I'm the biggest Monday looserver. Some woman came in like rhino feet.
Speaker 9: No rhino feet anymore. I don't know if you've ever had a facial where they put the steam like.
Speaker 1: I've never had a facial steam.
Speaker 9: It's fantastic. So they put that on your legs and then they did like a leg mask.
Speaker 7: They steamed your feet.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's fantastic. And then they paint them and clip and do all that stuff. And then at the very end the Beasta resistance was they got like this soy wax candle that was melted and they put like the hot wax on your le.
Speaker 2: Smell as well, funny smell athletes for anyone, smell froucaus.
Speaker 7: My legs are like baby legs. They're fantastic.
Speaker 2: Now is this all the pampering routine getting ready for the the Radio Awards on Thursday night? Perhaps this brilliant podcast, Rage against the Menopause has rightly been nominated for a bigger war Thursday night.
Speaker 1: And so is this all the preparation.
Speaker 9: It's a little bit of prep, just a tad, just a tad of prep.
Speaker 1: I get the feeling there's more prep to come this week. What else is happening?
Speaker 9: There might be some microdom abrasion happening today.
Speaker 2: They get like like a triple Jay unsignband microder microdermabrasion.
Speaker 9: It's like a little wand it's like a vacuum cleaner for your face.
Speaker 7: And they're like, it's.
Speaker 1: Great, crumbs on it.
Speaker 9: No, it's like a really great exfoliant.
Speaker 8: Is a little bit dangerous doing it this this soon to the event?
Speaker 9: No, it's fine. So I've got that today. That'll be nice.
Speaker 2: And you'll love to know that Patsy's demanded a day on Friday. So whether she wins or lose, she needs to get on it Thursday night. And that commitment to audio excellence is why she deserves that.
Speaker 1: A wart Alex, You and Monday Winter all losing Moon.
Speaker 6: I'm a big fat loser because we have a tupperwar disaster in our hands.
Speaker 1: And that's because of our move. We moved recently over the weekend.
Speaker 6: I have all these tuperwear lids, but no containers. I counted twelve lids. Where did those containers go?
Speaker 2: Tonightmar there were some socks that separate. I know, you try and pair them up and you will never get them back together. The tup of were just it repels the container and the lids like their magnets.
Speaker 1: They can't be together. They repel each other away. Yes, they hate each other. There's just all these lids but no containers.
Speaker 6: And then just I just sat on the kitchen floor the other day just turning my hair out, crying, shaking.
Speaker 2: What a great phrase to say about somebody. You know what, that person is all lid, no container. It's a tuper wear insult. The ultimate insult is that guy is all lid, no container.
Speaker 5: Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christiana My Monday Loser, or my accidentally wore my slippers to work yesterday Today I'm not even putting them on, just putting a shoe straight on out of bed slippers.
Speaker 7: That work is a winner in mind.
Speaker 1: Depends what you do.
Speaker 2: You know, if you go to see your doctor, okay and he's wearning his slippers, you're not taking him seriously.
Speaker 1: Christian, my Monday Winner.
Speaker 2: Figured out how to make the perfect cappuccino with my new coffee machine. Morning commutes this winter just got a whole lot better. That's from Emma. I am a Monday loser. I am in a world of pain right now. I've really really hurt my back so much so that I've had to send our new recruits. A show intern, Pete has joined our show, and he's had to send them out to the chemist. He has come back with some Voltaire and I actually asked for Voltron, which I think might be a kid's TV show. That's when he realized all is not well with Christian. He's asking for an animated TV show.
Speaker 7: But it does beg the question. You can't reach around to your back.
Speaker 1: It's actually struggling to breathe. I mean that much pain.
Speaker 7: He just starts screaming randomly in songs. Ah, God Love.
Speaker 2: I cannot ask a team member to loosen my pants and smear pain relief on my backside. What it's the beginning of the end. What if I get a thrill for it and then it's my new kink or something. Oh, my back's bad again.
Speaker 7: You physically can't reach your back. There's no way.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm thinking I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna smear it on the wall and then rub myself slowly up against the wall like a cat.
Speaker 1: Does you know A solution is right now? A solution?
Speaker 2: I have a bat last week and and then I went to see the physio, and the physio gave me these stretches an exercise they do right, And he said, hey, make sure you do these okay, three times to day, otherwise this will just happen again and it'd be worse. And of course I did none of those exercises, because you know when someone just clicks it and helps it feel But anything, I don't need to do any of that. I'm actually cured. If anything, this back is probably stronger than it's ever been. I've got the back of a twenty.
Speaker 1: One year old now.
Speaker 2: And of course today I got out of bed and I went to put a sock on and it was just like it just locked up. I rolled back on the bed and lay there for twenty five minutes wondering how am I going to get changed and then shuffle to work? And I thought, do I call for help? To someone have to come and get me changed? Can I even get into the studio today?
Speaker 7: How long did it take you to walking because you're quite late?
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty minutes. It's a five minute walk. I had to keep actually stopping on the street a couple of times. I was leaning on a lamp post one but there was a trade just staring at me in his van and I sort of nodded and he didn't nod back.
Speaker 1: He was like, I'm not returning the nod What is going on with you?
Speaker 7: Suspicious character can be breathing.
Speaker 1: To lower back. You must make it to show.
Speaker 2: Monday loser Right, I'm gonna I'm going to go and put my cream and RB back with you.
Speaker 5: Christian O'Connell shown podcast.
Speaker 2: I have the voltairein shell applied the studio now house that I just read we're about to go into middle aged bands. It stinks of middle age in the studio now that medical ointments.
Speaker 1: It's that smell of ointment.
Speaker 7: It smells like a footy locker room.
Speaker 2: That's it, den Co rub Yes, that's it. There's a whiff of that about the studio today. It reeks of a middle aged man, which.
Speaker 1: The Bobek said.
Speaker 2: Up for middle aged bands, we did this yesterday morning on the time Waster and there were so many. We're doing a part too this morning. We're looking for your middle aged bands. The best one we get to the next five or ten minutes. We've got a gold class double pass. Haven't listened to some of these we had yesterday. These are all the goals we have from yesterday for middle aged bands.
Speaker 1: Hueye, can you put the news on please?
Speaker 2: Lewis match Box not twenty Anymore Earth went in Fiber, ben Folds, Washing Boys to menopause, Good Scissor Sisters.
Speaker 1: Perry Men at Work, Silver Hair.
Speaker 2: The winner was Bob Barley Sugar all of that pearlch Ham on my toast please, Caravan Morrison, Robert Planter for Schitus and Limpin Park.
Speaker 5: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Doing an extra time waste this morning. He had so many yesterday for your middle aged bands. We're doing a part of this morning Middle Aged Bands.
Speaker 1: Rio. Are you ready to mark?
Speaker 7: I'm ready?
Speaker 2: Menopause at work, Silver pass Christian, get yourself a plastic serving spoon. You put the back ache cream on the convex side and then it extends. That's actually a good idea. That's someone who's been there. Thank you Despatch on the frontline. Thank you Chris Passing On Nickel Backpaine System of the Will you turn it down please, Silver.
Speaker 1: Going Deaf Leopard, Silver, Cold Flannel. The people like a cold flannel from.
Speaker 2: I can't believe flannels are still around there always seem like a dirty old rag to me.
Speaker 7: The nineties are back, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: The pretenders can't become the can't benders. That's very good, Sam, Gregor, well done for that. Can you just too cold to play? Too cold to play? Too cold to play?
Speaker 7: It's not anything.
Speaker 1: Living on a chair.
Speaker 7: That's a song.
Speaker 2: Bronze, I'm deficient Maiden. That's very funny. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: I get the thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are writing from a place within them. Buns and hoses, Silver, Green Bindei Green Binda is brilliant. Lisa, that's very funny. I love this one from Glenn Mega death stare at kids on the scooters. Tim's got hunters and collecting the pension. Silver, Lisa's got my chemical reflux. Very very good.
Speaker 1: All right, these are great. Who's the winner this morning?
Speaker 7: They can't benders?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't. They can't bend. It's instead of pretenders. It's very good.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's some kind of right middle aged rhyming slang. Thank you very much for those.
Speaker 5: Christin O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, who is injured right now? Listening to the show? Where are I? People at? I am in no small amount of pain.
Speaker 2: I have really done some time back early this morning, just simply putting a sock on. I'm literally smeared in volterin at the moment it smells of Denker Robin the studio. I've had that little tiny ball in my back rio. You will attest that I was literally pushing it, pushing back into a ball just now for five minutes, up against the wall, yeah, up.
Speaker 8: Against the walls, steering out the window. I said to you, are you an excruciating pain?
Speaker 7: Because you had a.
Speaker 2: Grimace on your face that no, Oh, my goodness, when you have back pain, you'll know.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's horrendous. So sort I want to know then, who is injured right now? Alex? Are you injured?
Speaker 6: I've pulled a muscle in my neck due to a moth in my jacket. So I was putting my jacket on this morning, it's cold, and I'm walk into the bathroom and I hear this sort of rustling around just just on my collar.
Speaker 1: And this moth just flies out.
Speaker 6: I'm like ah, and as I flail my arms in a mad panic, I pulled something a muscle in.
Speaker 1: My neck or a twinge.
Speaker 6: It was a twinge, your real twinge, right up the left.
Speaker 2: Side, and it was like this sort of so it's the new place got moths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to get that sword otherwise just start.
Speaker 2: Eating your cloth, your perimendo vests, Alex, all those baby boo jumpers you have, and it'll.
Speaker 1: Be nailed up.
Speaker 6: Normally it flies out of my wallet. But yeah, but anyway, it's hurting my neck.
Speaker 5: It really is, Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Who is injured right now?
Speaker 2: I have actually put my back out putting my socks on this morning. It took way too long to get ready, to shuffling around, swearing, sweating, shaking to myself, and then a real slow shuffle to work, leaning on lamp posts along the way, heavy breathing. Quite the scene. Quite the scene this morning, Christian. I've hurt my hip. I stepped off a train to let people off before I hopped back on one leg. No one would give me their seats to have several physio appointments for.
Speaker 1: Doing a good deed.
Speaker 7: That's what they're saying. No good deed goes.
Speaker 2: On punished, Natalie, Christian, I've injured myself. My small doxy doodle dog slept next to my leg last night, and because I couldn't roll over properly, I tried to move the dog my leg and I put my hip out. That's incredible, Naturally, that's that's gonna Stacey. Now, good on in Stacy, good morning, good morning, good.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? That's agony?
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's agony.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 11: My husband told his miniscus back in December and he was given the clearance to run. So I said, come on, let's do it together. Third session out. My miniscus is torn. Go and see he's knee specialist who told me putting socks on.
Speaker 2: So Christian is like you, yeah, it's gonna tell you what they need to come with warning. There should be a health warnerfully socks. The government need to do something.
Speaker 3: The socks should be banned.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: We that's a lot of miniscus has been torn and twisted there in that story.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well I go into surgery hopefully.
Speaker 2: All right, Well I hope it's all okay, Stacey, Thank you very much. Give us a call.
Speaker 5: Christian O'Connell show Go on podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes it on the show, Rio told us the story about his funeral faux pas from Friday at a Greek funeral where he started eating the food that was laid on for grieving relatives.
Speaker 1: That had not been blessed.
Speaker 8: No, hadn't been blessed by the priest. The aunties were running around trying to grab the food off all the other people that had followed my lead, because the Orthodox Greek priest hasn't come in and blessed the food, so we're eating cursed food.
Speaker 1: And so now we hear that there's a second funeral faux pas.
Speaker 8: Yes, so I must apologize. To Tina's auntie Penny, who was sitting right next to me and Caitlyn. I went up to do a good thing. I said, Oh, would you like me to grab you a cup of coffee? She scays, I would love that white please. I go up to the bench. There's two types of coffee. There's one Greek coffee and there's a mug of a jug of normal coffee.
Speaker 7: I go Greek funeral Greek coffee.
Speaker 8: So I get her a big mug, pour it full of Greek coffee, a bit of milk, take it back over to her. Then I go back to get Caitlin in my coffee. I then noticed with the Greek coffee there are these tiny, little like almost shot glasses which people are drinking out of.
Speaker 7: So that's what you're supposed to pour it in. So I pour the Greek coffee and that take it back to me and Kaitlyn.
Speaker 8: Auntie Penny says, oh, be careful with that Greek coffee. That stuff is like rocket fuel. Make sure you only have a little bit. And I'm looking at her going, oh no, lady, she's she's trapped in.
Speaker 7: Lady, you've been drinking a lot of that Greek coffee.
Speaker 1: Did you say anything? No?
Speaker 7: Because she then walked away. I asked Kitlyn, but at this point she had.
Speaker 1: Would have had like palpitation.
Speaker 7: She had like half of it. I said to Kaitlyn, do I tell them? What do I do?
Speaker 1: I gave it the ground. We know what they're smashing those plates they got too much coffeine in them.
Speaker 8: Kayler said, it's too far going. No good will come from it now, just let it go. So I don't know what happened to.
Speaker 2: You that funeral, all right? So so why didn't we looking for your stories? What happened at the funeral? I remember when two years ago with my mother in law's funeral. And they're a lot of obviously oldly people though are not the wake afterwards. If you ever are in this situation, old people love a tea on They were cueuing like it was happier anyway, one of Jackie's friends, Terry, who's ninety one, came up to me at the wake and goes, Jackie had a really nice walker. What do you think you're going to do with it? And I went, Terry, we haven't only buried her. Okay, it's too soon, too soon to be wandering about her estate belongings.
Speaker 1: And that walker.
Speaker 2: I did take it around a couple of days later, though she wants she she I don't know.
Speaker 1: I reckon she'd been like spying it.
Speaker 2: I think she'd gone to have a look round through the window, going I'm.
Speaker 7: Having that time.
Speaker 2: Is a sick walker? I want that now in Tim Peter's joined the show. Now what you've got a great funeral story?
Speaker 12: Well, yes, God bless my mother, who passed away about five years ago during COVID time, so the funerals weren't that big at the time. Was the only thing like maximum twenty people at the time. And the part of this is my mother really never wanted to go. We never wanted to leave this earth, and I think this was her way of saying, I'm not going anywhere. So my job, I didn't have a lot of jobs because we didn't have to have a big fund. My job was organized the grave digger at the Regional Scott's Creek Cemetery. So my job was to basically pay the guy one hundred and forty five dollars cash on the day most to make sure that he the whole was dug, you know, like a whole needs to be dug, if that makes sense. So as we are carrying my beautiful mother's coffin towards the whole, the funeral directors both stare at me, Dad, my uncle's seven.
Speaker 1: She ain't fitting, she's too small.
Speaker 7: They dug the hole too small.
Speaker 1: Pay them hundred and forty five. You couldn't got the hundred.
Speaker 7: And fifty was cash too, It was.
Speaker 1: He didn't negotiate with funeral too well.
Speaker 7: No, of course we asked for a discap.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying is it's this. The problem was, it was just we're all stilling.
Speaker 7: What do we do now?
Speaker 1: Start digging?
Speaker 12: Well, then that's the thing I've got on Uncle Jonathan A very good morning is listing as well. He's like, we've got shovels in the boot, and literally shovels, and we're farmers, right, so we've always got these things in the boot or.
Speaker 1: They were always ready to go. We'll start farming funeral.
Speaker 12: Okay, I'm starting to maybe my family sends we all have shovels in our car, just so to be clear, just in case you ever need a shovel. But yeah, so that was the case that he's like, literally, know, I'll grab the shovel. No, we're not doing this now. We are not digging my own mother.
Speaker 1: You've got the conference. Everyone's there the grace.
Speaker 12: Look, we had to sit it there and they said, well, just pop it in later. Literally, so we had to leave there sort of next to the hole, and it was a bit of a really really really weird situation for everyone. I was like, oh, do we come back later when we have that moment when you get it down.
Speaker 1: We didn't go back. We went to our own little private wake.
Speaker 12: But anyway, she's in the ground now because the hole is sorted.
Speaker 1: But it was just really close to the top.
Speaker 12: It was like the opera music playing, and just went so, oh, doesn't fit. I didn't dig the hole big enough.
Speaker 1: My bad god, it's just a standard size. That's what I would have thought too. To My mum wasn't a big person.
Speaker 12: He wasn't extra locks, wasn't a basketball player or anything like that.
Speaker 5: It just did not fit. That's great, Pete the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Your story is what happened at the funeral. Some of the calls got lined up. Someone called in their uncle died obviously led a good life, two hundred and twenty kilos. They had to take out the grandmother's coffin so that he would fit in underneath and snot squash her squasher.
Speaker 1: I think there's a squashess.
Speaker 2: Christian and my father in law's wait standing in line for a cup of tea head down as a somber fare. I saw my husband's backside in front of me, so I goosed him again, even before we get to up and next go around goosing people at wakes you yourself. I realized, head down, somber fare. It's not a bum squeezing time that.
Speaker 7: I don't know what goosing is.
Speaker 2: Goosing is where you you paint someone's backside. Anyway, it wasn't her, It wasn't her husband's backside. It was a brother in laws. I mean, what do you even say? Oh, I thought it was my husband. Even that doesn't make it Okay.
Speaker 1: You're at the weak, doesn't explain queuing for the weak tea.
Speaker 2: That's great, thank you very Let's take some of these stories now, Fiona, good morning, welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Good morning, how are you, Christian, I'm good, Fiona.
Speaker 1: So, Fiona, what's your story? What happened at the funeral?
Speaker 13: So my uncle liked a bit of a chittly drink and loved a portner, you know, bottle of wine. So we always see, you know, just guard the corks and throw maby shoulder. We're at the funeral. We decided instead of throwing flowers, will put corks in a hole. Right, So we're tossing the corks in, or trying to put the corks in. They're not staying. They keep popping out. They are popping out like.
Speaker 2: So spooky, like he's chucking them at you some sort of last practical is exactly.
Speaker 13: So, no matter what, trying to gently drop these corks and they're popping back out again. We're throwing him in. They're popping back again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like popcorn colonels.
Speaker 13: No, we don't use those. We don't need them. We're not needing them. We never drink, we don't need the.
Speaker 1: Cup all right, Fiona, thank you very much his story. Have a good day.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, Mike. Good morning, mate, welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Get Christian, Mike.
Speaker 1: What happened at the funeral? What's your story? Mate?
Speaker 10: Was a mate dad's funeral and the mate's dad was a big unit. And it wasn't the guy that was two twenty kilos just going to squash into a previous caller. Mate. I I was amongst eight Alberta's and I was struggling. Mate, it was heavy, Mate, I am, I am in the front and I'm walking backwards and unfortunately the left foot went back and went straight in the whole.
Speaker 1: Celeen go under that coffin. Other while there's two in the whole.
Speaker 10: Mate, I was injured and I didn't get helped. I didn't fall right in. I falled up to my waist and I've done I did a Hammy.
Speaker 1: Man down.
Speaker 10: We've lost one of the eighteen So I mean great mate, heavy day, heavy coffin. But I've been to funerals with that group of friends previously and they they have not chosen me to be a pol bearer and they based.
Speaker 1: A weekend.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 2: That is a great story. Mike, thank you very much for sharing that one. Have a good day, mate, that's a go on.
Speaker 10: The show, thanks mate.
Speaker 5: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian at the cemetery, they start to lower the coffin. The strap broke. The coffin fell in headfirst and broke open.
Speaker 7: Fall No no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: That's a go back and get him out and fix the coffin. What it's a long of errors? I do you mean fix it? They didn't nip off the Bunnings. Get some wood coats.
Speaker 7: To fix it, a new one to fortune?
Speaker 1: Too much a coffin? Is they are so much money?
Speaker 7: Maybe he's a bit of duct tape.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I'm inburied in sack.
Speaker 2: There's no way once I'm done, my wife is not shelling out money for a nice coffin for me. There's no way. It'll be some sack, some Hessian sack from Bunnings.
Speaker 7: Throwing down the dip.
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay, that was unpleasant. We're on a mission of moment to save your pub or thanks to four X, the pub is calling somewhere between the first sip and the last laugh. It's always so four X. Next week on the show. Five pubs are going to get five thousand dollars each. This is incredible, and then one extra one gets the ultimate pub makeover. Now you've made a new song for this.
Speaker 7: I have a listener actually requested that.
Speaker 2: Yes, John said last week when we started our mission to save your pub, could we have to do a souped up version of fifty cents into club into pub for the save the pub.
Speaker 1: Let's have a listen to this.
Speaker 14: You can find me into pub bordering the grub, buy a ticket for the raffle, support the Cricket Club Ladies nineties Thursday. You might fall in love. So come call Christian up tell him about your pub. Asking you shall receive very.
Speaker 2: Good, powerful, very powerful light on lyrics. I'm not going to do a whole vers Wow, that's by Friday, the whole thing, the whole thing, all right, let's spit. Let's hear about some pubs. Now we have Kelly on the line. Now, good morning, Kelly.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hey doing Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm good Kelly. So I believe are you the only it is actually your pub?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it closed down towards the end of last year, and my husband and I just went mad and bought it, so, yeah, we couldn't see the town without a pub.
Speaker 1: You brought the pub, and we've all seen the movie. We brought a zoo. You brought a pub. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly for the community and if you running it.
Speaker 3: It's not open at the moment. No, we're currently trying to replace about half of the roof which has been leaking inside on the carpet. So well underway there, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So five thousand dollars would really help.
Speaker 3: Oh, five thousand dollars would be amazing. Yes, got a huge community support behind it, like everyone's following online, I following on Facebook and offering help and coming down to working bees. But yeah, we definitely it's not very sexy, but we probably would use that five thousand towards treating the mold in the dining area so that we can all get back in there and enjoy.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: You absolutely got to get the mold sort out.
Speaker 3: That's got to happened.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would put that above that leaky old roof. Put mold suddenly up the wall where you're tucking into your palm. You know it's going to get a bit off the food. So what's the name of the pub. Where is this?
Speaker 3: Well, at the moment, we're just calling it the grand Ridge Project because it is a project on the grand Ridge which is in the stress, like he's up in Gippsland. So there's a grand Ridge row in the grand Ridge rail trail and there was a former grand Ridge brewery on the site. So it's a working title for the moment, Grandridge Project. And yeah, that's what we're we're working to good.
Speaker 1: Only for doing this.
Speaker 2: I think that's incredible and so can people follow?
Speaker 1: How's it going? You've got a website? Give yourself a push?
Speaker 3: Oh no website yet, we could use the five k for that.
Speaker 7: Maybe get rid of that mold set the mold out.
Speaker 1: I really can't.
Speaker 2: Can't move on to the marketink first the website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you can fall on social Facebook and Instagram at grand Ridge Project.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna do that. I'll give you go as a follow. And then what is the When would you like to be opening up?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: We would love to be able to have Christmas drinks in the pub, even if we can't get the kitchen up and running by then, we'd love to be able to pour some Christmas beers for everyone. It comes home for Christmas. So many people our age had part time jobs there growing up. You know, people met their lifelong partners there, they had their kids in for a working day. It was just you know, it's a grad an employer in the town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brilliant. I love this, And so what is the plan that you and your husband are going to run it?
Speaker 3: At this stage, we will need someone in the kitchen, and we will need someone in the brewery, and then we're yeah, definitely. We've got lots of offers of supports for people to come and work, but at the moment we are pulling all the strings together.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is unbelievable. Have you two ever worked together before?
Speaker 3: We did run a solar business. Yeah, we run a yeah solar business called Gipslan sold about ten years, So we did do that together. But yeah, mostly no, not really. It'll be interesting. We've worked a little bit hot.
Speaker 1: You should be filming all this. This would be a great documentary.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I could see. Is this on the verge of having a meltdown every five minutes?
Speaker 2: All the endless bureaucracy that this costing money, that's going to cost more money.
Speaker 1: It's it's brilliant watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're not a lot of yet, which is probably good. It probably would have talked to us out of it.
Speaker 1: I think this is brilliant. I think it's a great thing to do. And you're right.
Speaker 2: Pubs they're just they're really important places there. They are the front room of a community. So many people have got stories involved in that place. I think it's a brand thing you've done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got kids coming up to working age and will be able to employ them and their friends. So many musicians have got in touch and said, you know, I started my career just playing gigs in your bar, and I would never got started without that opportunity. Like you know, it's so important. It's not just not just somewhere to catch up for a beer. It's something that builds the whole community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said Kelly.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, thank you very much for entering this and tell us about the amazing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, speak to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thanks Kelly, Thanks Christian, Bye, good Christian Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian.
Speaker 2: I'll just listen to your chat with grand Ridge Project. If it's okay with you. I make websites for a living. I would be happy to make them a brand new website for free. Stephen Water, what a good man you are. That's fantastic. What do you like it getting rid of mold?
Speaker 7: It's your threat websites and mold you don't see a lot of it.
Speaker 2: That's your edge, my friend. And can you maybe do a little bit of roofing as well? Roof over the head website online and they are good to go, Steven. That's very very kind. I'm sure they'll take you up on that offer. But Stephen Water, thank you very much for that. All right, we're doing Save our Pup.
Speaker 7: Went to well local.
Speaker 14: We've been going to Bigears, hat laces, saiteh.
Speaker 7: This where we have almus is.
Speaker 4: Being better days in Nita liqua pace.
Speaker 7: We need to help this joint on me and all.
Speaker 5: Out makes it's a.
Speaker 14: Say christ play saves any save Christian, please save l.
Speaker 1: All right, save our pup.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your palm that needs saving, because next week on the show, five pubs are gonna get five thousand dollars each and also another pub gets the ultimate Palm makeover. Head to the Gold website dot com dot au entries clothes Friday night. Why is this playing subsess with this Friday night thing like midnight, didn't I Because.
Speaker 1: That's what everyone's gonna do.
Speaker 2: They're gonna rushow from work and then just smash that website for a couple of hours. Anyway, deadlines Friday because we're renouncing a pub a day next week getting five thousand dollars. So please tell us about your local Someone who's on the line now doing that with a great name is John lor Good morning.
Speaker 1: John, Hi Christian.
Speaker 4: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: John, lovely to meet you as well. Quite advice you've got that, Johnny boy.
Speaker 4: Oh well mate, I'm pumped up. I'm ready to rock. Fantastic So like yours made, your show is great. I just love it. So this is this is a life experience for me. Absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: John, Thank you very much. And John, tell us about your local pub.
Speaker 4: Okay, local pub. It's fantastic. The Bayby at Gladesville. It's about one hundred and fifty years old. We started going there for the live music on Friday, Saturday nights, Sunday afternoon, great bands like The Bell, Kevin Bennett.
Speaker 1: And The Flow.
Speaker 4: There's always a party atmosphere. The joint goes off fantastic well priced food, great selection of reasonably priced wines and more beers than the hairs on the right leg of a gorilla.
Speaker 2: But the live years, I love this, John, that is a good line. That's a good line.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Thanks. I made it up to special, especially for you Christians. But the live music area could do with some updates. But I'm not putting it down. It's just a fantastic place and everyone just has a great time, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are these pubs you keep hearing about, you know, and they keep live entertainment going as well. With live music, lots of bands get their breaks and get to practice in front of smaller crowds and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: They really matter. We need. These places are dying out.
Speaker 4: Though, John, absolutely, And it's a travesty. And you know, I mean all the Namby pambies makes too much noise. Have a rock and roll like get off here button, have some fun y like complaining, complaining. Complaining in this country has become a national sport like it used to be, like it used to be another countries. Christian, you know what I mean. I'm not turning on you. You're not your Namby Pam. You're a rocker. You are on.
Speaker 2: Your backside and rock on. I say John, John, you need to show on this station.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got some bad news for you. You couldn't afford me.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you want more money than are hairs on a Garrida's leg? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well yeah, more beers than the right leg.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: There are levels of this game, and I just am not at your level. You know, white belt, your ninth down black belt?
Speaker 4: Okay, you win, you win. I'm a lover, not a fighter. I'm a lover, not a fighter.
Speaker 2: All right, listen, John, it has been a blast to speak to you. Okay, watch out for those namby pambies, John, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're hiding around every corner, jump.
Speaker 2: Boring off me, bambies.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, okay we done?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah we're.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah yeah, John, Thank you very much for telling us about your brilliant cool put.
Speaker 4: The Bayview is the best. The Bayview is the best, brilliant.
Speaker 2: Good only for letting us know about the great work they're doing there. John, A joy to say speech. You might have a good day you too, mate.
Speaker 4: Thank you, see ya, Bye to you, John.
Speaker 1: How prank cool? You real?
Speaker 5: Christian O'Connell show go on podcast.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's show.
Speaker 2: Time for today's time waste up the grounds for the Western Show. Five hundred dollars Holy Moly golf club gift card an excuse for a work party. Your Holy money golf club you can book now. We're looking for your wine movies. In the top five power rankings, top five countries by wine consumption, Who do we think about the most wine?
Speaker 1: France?
Speaker 12: Yeah, surely at number two?
Speaker 7: O surely not Australia number four.
Speaker 1: You're in the top five. An't ancient? Good work? Good work, iyce.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of that is me. I think go back eight years. You know we're near the top twenty.
Speaker 9: What about the US because they've got Napper Valley.
Speaker 2: Not that John Law would not stand for them. At five, Spain, of course, Australia number four. Italy is at three. France's number two is Portugal.
Speaker 7: Yes, I went there a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Great story, I had more to it. Yeah, yeah, when we come back to this tomorrow.
Speaker 7: What are they famous for?
Speaker 1: Red reds?
Speaker 2: They do some great Dora. I think it is the red they do. It's very nice and port as well.
Speaker 1: Of course Portugal I had legs of when I was there as well. What wine movies you let us know of that Portuguese stuff. By the way, the king slurred speech.
Speaker 2: The Pino Grincio is gold audio. My cousin's Vinnie was a great one. My cousin's Vineyard silver. How good of a movie was Dancing with Wolves?
Speaker 1: Great? Yeh, he's really got into the wine he has now, that's right.
Speaker 2: Dancers with Wolf plass gold, Molo and me silver, Planet of the Grapes gold. And this is also protusiccating, not dirty dancing, shady dancing.
Speaker 1: All right, Ria, what have you got? Probably some from my Portugal.
Speaker 7: I had a wine there once.
Speaker 1: Great story tomorrow a date whole half hour on that again.
Speaker 7: Poort from Portugal.
Speaker 8: Greape expectations average, throw Muma from the train, throw muma.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, the familiar like it hot, very fancy, very good.
Speaker 1: Gold.
Speaker 7: And finally white men decant jump. They can't jump, but boy can they let.
Speaker 1: That red breeze. This has gone off.
Speaker 7: And when I was in Portugal.
Speaker 5: The Christian o'connall show podcast.
Speaker 2: For grabs today at the time, waster five dollars, Holy moly, golf club gift card.
Speaker 1: We're looking for your wine movies.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I thought about I would love to open up a bookshop, right, I've always want to open up a bookshop, and I'd really like to one way you buy your book if you want, you can have a glass of wine and go and sit in an old comfortable chair and start to read your book. I actually think it's a good idea. However, the name of it is page and Plank. It's quite nice as because you know plank one, but also buonk yourself down.
Speaker 7: I went over my head.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, Stephen website.
Speaker 2: If you want to also build me a website please for no premises yet, Page and Plank.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for investors.
Speaker 7: That's really good.
Speaker 1: You could see that becoming a thing. You know.
Speaker 2: You get your book and then you go and have a glass of wine and you read your book. All right, we're looking for your wine movie. Sorry, it started to get me in a wine mood just reading about all the different wines Juice, Bigelow, mel Grizzio, Gold, Chitty Chitty goon bag like get ready for a lot of goon based ones.
Speaker 7: Okay, the National.
Speaker 2: Pride, Harry Potter and the goon Bag of Fire, but silence of the Lambriscos.
Speaker 1: Oh, silvil Park right down, Steve.
Speaker 2: Chardon a Darko, Sam Wadne, how to drain your flagon Silva, Freddie got corked, cook kid Silver, naughty, horrible Barossas, Oh, very very smart.
Speaker 1: Nathan Dude wears my shady silver.
Speaker 2: If I wasn't legless, I'd kick you. Very good Glenn, my cousin Vino Silver, bluzz Jack Sherry Maguire, Oh god, yeah, Viinocchio Goldinocchio is really good. White Wine Chicks silver bla.
Speaker 1: What on, John, don't mess with the zonzo.
Speaker 7: What's azo?
Speaker 1: It's a it's a brand of wife nice wine.
Speaker 5: Gold.
Speaker 1: No, No, I know, I don't really touch the stuff.
Speaker 2: Sense of a Whino, very good, Andy, very good, Win Zakimir Make a Pino.
Speaker 1: Is a very good.
Speaker 2: Forty yeerring old Virgin Silver, La La Licorland Temporillas in the midst nice reference.
Speaker 1: Brunt hell merlow silver.
Speaker 2: Saving Ryan's private collection, Caskaway silver Plas and went back to the old Goombergs goom Bag with the winds silver silver, Whining's playbook Gold. James Bond starts in goon Raker. That's very good, Jim, that's very good. Open wer op and winer Chris, that's very good and finding Pino still finding Nemo Pino read very good.
Speaker 1: Tell us more about that trip to Portugal. I'm not going to sleep tonight in cases anymore.
Speaker 2: What's who's the winner today?
Speaker 7: If I wasn't Legless, I'd kick you.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Done to Greg, Greg, Randy and Stephen might have been Matt.
Speaker 1: Max, John Law, No no be Bamby's on.
Speaker 5: His watch, Christian O'Connell show go on podcast.
Speaker 1: The Chemist Warehouse Mayhem sale is on now.
Speaker 2: Stock up and save and shop half priced cosmetics and vitamins at Chemist Warehouse shopping Store online today