Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Peter Hallier and welcome to you.
Speaker 2: Ain't Seen Nothing Yet the podcast that talks the movie lovers about classic and beloved movies they haven't quite got around to watching until now.
Speaker 1: And today's guest comedian Tom Gleason.
Speaker 3: I will have my vengers this life for the next.
Speaker 1: They take.
Speaker 4: The check.
Speaker 5: Life is like a box at Chuck. Let's have a right now.
Speaker 6: You ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: I've known today's guest Tom Gleeson for a touch under twenty.
Speaker 1: Years, and there are very few.
Speaker 2: Comics performing at Tom's level in Australia and possibly around the world at the moment. Tom he makes interesting choices. He decided years ago not to self deprecate. He decided not to pretend he's dumber than his audience. He decided to stand perched and proud on the higher ground. He actively tells his audience I'm better, smarter and funnier than you and it's to be honest, hard to disagree. It's been a master Thomas gone from strength to strength recently in both live comedy and also on television, his TV show Hard Quiz being one of the most popular shows on Australian television and Nettingham the.
Speaker 6: All Glorious gold LOGI.
Speaker 2: He's a great mate and somebody whose company I often crave. We often go on regional tours together where we end up on one of our hotel balconies after a bottle or two of white wine about comedy, family, marriage, and of course movies. So it was easy asking Tom to be a part of you ain't seen nothing yet. The hard part that Tom was finding which movie he hadn't actually seen and the one that he actually found, well, it surprised me.
Speaker 5: Good, it's Tom Gleeson here. My favorite films are two thousand and one, A Space O, See Opened, The Part Doors, Apocalypse, Now Mor and Wake in Front. But up until now I had never seen The Lion King.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: The circle of life is indeed investigated in Disney's nineteen ninety four classic animation The Lion King. Simba, a young fresh lion prince not from Belair but rather the Pride Lands of Africa, gets framed for his dad's death by an a hole of an uncle.
Speaker 5: Scar.
Speaker 6: In exile, Simba meets a colorful collection of characters and songs before getting it on with his old friend, before realizing he needs to go back to confront his demons. Tom Gleeson, Tom Gleason, welcome to you. Ain't seen nothing yet. Why the hell has it taken you so long to see The Lion King.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I've thought about it, and there's actually I've seen lots of films. I'm like you, I love films. I've seen any film of significance or a popular film. I try to go out and see it.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a tough one.
Speaker 2: When I pitched this idea to you, most people knew straight away. Jude Lucy was like the sound of music. Never seen ben my mass Eten, never seen et Yes, so you had to really think about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you kept on mentioning, I've seen it. I've seen I feel like I've seen every film. So anyway, then I narrowed in on Lion King because they started promoting the new one and I realized, oh, I haven't seen the early one. And I've realized that the early nineties is a bit of a blank spot for me. It's because I was in a band back then, and that's all I cared about. I was in a band. I was out at night. You know, A new a new family film comes out in nineteen ninety four. I mean, I don't shit. I had no nephews or nieces or children at the time, so I was just outside. I had no connection to kids or families, and I was just out in a band, so I didn't care. Well.
Speaker 1: I have a confession that I'm not sure ever.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this to you that I hadn't actually seen it either, and so I watched it for the first time two nights ago.
Speaker 5: It's a gen X black hole, it was.
Speaker 2: I went back to look at the release date of it in Australia to kind of work out where I was because I can't even really remember it. The Lion King being a phenomenon caught me by surprise, like years later. It's like, why does everybody love the Lion King?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't even realized it was that big.
Speaker 5: It came back to me via stand up comedy because it was a reference in all these comedians who are ten years younger than us, they'd all have little references to the Lion King, and you know, someone say Kuna Matata. That takes me back, and I'm like, doesn't take me back.
Speaker 2: So it was like, I think it was August twenty six, nineteen ninety four, right, So I was not in a band, but I was traveling around Europe my first year out of school, and I had gone to Finland because I had an ex.
Speaker 1: As saying now X, she was even then an ex.
Speaker 5: She was a future.
Speaker 2: She was a future. X. She's only my girlfriend for a short period of time. But we went over there and then kind of travel around Europe, and I was traveling. I wasn't going to go see The Lion King in my spare time as a nineteen year old. So I left in May and came back in October. So it basically was straight down the middle of my time away. Yes, I remember seeing two films when I was away, Forrest Gump and Four Weddings in a Funeral.
Speaker 1: So those films are around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw those. They're films for adults, films for adults. I didn't see family films back there.
Speaker 1: And so what were your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Tell me how you watched it the year this classic format. So my kids went and saw the new line King a couple of weeks ago, and then so we said I should see the original, and so well they'd seen the original already without me, because I'd used it as a babyminder, so I'd sort of I'd put it on for them and then but I didn't watch it. I went and did emails and did something else. Aul, Yeah, and that sounded Suss didn't have to anyway, So we agreed that we'd watch it together. And our classic cinema thing that I do with my kids is it's usually a weekend afternoon. It was a sad day afternoon and I'll have I'll have a few glasses of wine in front of the fire while watching the film. And it was beautiful. Yep, it was a lovely afternoon and it was a great film. It was. I mean, it's obviously a great film, but it's things I was surprised at were there weren't actually that many songs in it, which I think were very tastefully placed. I think off the top of my head, they're like.
Speaker 1: Four or something, let's say four or five.
Speaker 5: Not many. I thought it was going to be a musical from beginning to end, and it wasn't. The story was very very simple and very short too. I think the whole film was eighty eight minutes including credits, so it was actually quite short.
Speaker 1: The usually take off a bround about seven minutes.
Speaker 2: I thought that when I looked at it, even eighty four minutes, So you take it if you take off seven minutes for that brings down like a seventy seven minute film. But that was the thing that occurred to me, that how economical it was and how simple it was.
Speaker 1: It got in.
Speaker 2: Really quickly, it got out really quickly, told the story. It told the story. There's no there, you know, Junapete would have been disgusted even to the point where there was the moment. Obviously, and of course, if you're listening to this, we recommend you watch The Lion King because there's gonna be spoilers all the.
Speaker 1: Way through this.
Speaker 5: But you've had your chance.
Speaker 2: You've had your chances that even though we just watched it this week, you've had your chance. But when Musafa, when he dies and scar comes and says, run what will your mother think?
Speaker 5: What amaking it to run away?
Speaker 4: Similar run, run away and never return.
Speaker 5: Kill him?
Speaker 2: He really just runs. There's no kind of I reckon if you do it now, And I wonder how they do it. We have neither of us have seen the recent live animation release, but I wonder if you to do it now, there might be a bit more from Simba. Oh but shit, but what about mum? What's gonna happen? And then are you sure I should?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: There might be a bit more.
Speaker 2: Even though it's a kid's film, there might be a bit more kind of wrestling with the idea of just running.
Speaker 1: But he just okay, I'm out, Maddie. I'm going.
Speaker 5: I'm running. The plot's got to keep going, so I'm out of here. He just runs. Well, that was an interesting issue too, is the father dying? Is I've sort of I'm added a little bit of I disagree with my wife a little bit. Sometimes my wife floats to preempt scary bits in films, whereas I just feel like seeing a scary bit in a film for a child is that's part of life. That's like, oh, it scared you. And also it's supposed to scare you. You're supposed to see your heart's supposed to race, and then when the redemption comes around, you're like, oh, everything worked out after all. You don't get that feeling if you're miss the other feeling. Absolutely so when that happened, when the father was in trouble, both kids just bolted out of the room because i'd been they'd seen it before, and my wife had worn them that that was a scary bit, and it's not actually that scary. It's actually rather tastefully done. He just disappears into the dust, into the middle of the stampede, and you don't really see it, and then you just next time you see him, he's motionless, and it's beautifully done. But I feel like it's kind of the whole point of the film. It's the first dramatic punch in the guards and my kids are running around with their hands on theres going scary down.
Speaker 1: Can't watch it. It's scary.
Speaker 5: My kids are seven and four, by the way, they're not teenagers, so that's kind of disappointing. But I watched it because I was you know, I M a grunnup. I could handle it.
Speaker 2: What were the images that you had of the Lion King before you went in, Like, what were the iconic kind of things that you had in your mind your expectations to seek? I mean the obvious one, of course, I think is the the raising Simba. Yeah, by raising it, you've got a lot of those jokes that we hear about referencing the whole holding holding the line up and that happened all that straight away. That was on the opening credits, which I believe Disney was so loved that opening sequence so much. That was basically the trailer, and then it's the first time they've ever done that, just release that.
Speaker 1: But so you mentioned that the music you expected music?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, well, I also i'd heard of Kernel Matata as a reference. I understood that straight away. My boy had been running around for the last previous week, a couple of weeks just going if I was a young war hoog, and I didn't know what he meant. And then I saw that number. Oh, that's why he's been doing that. So that was nice. So I learned about the wart hog. And but the other part that I really liked was I feel like this was one of the first films. I mean, Aladdin is probably another one around that time that had famous voiceover artists. Yes, so I haven't I beat it, but I did enjoy trying to guess who was who I was.
Speaker 1: Going to ask you about that. So have you have you imb beat its?
Speaker 5: No, I haven't. I haven't researched it since. So I'm thinking Scar was, I'm thinking Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman. I'm not sure which.
Speaker 1: Yes, first instinct was correct.
Speaker 5: Jeremy Matthew Broderick was the older simber tell them the truth?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 5: Who else? There was some? Oh, there were some other weird ones.
Speaker 2: You know who young Symbol was? If you know this one, I'll be very very surprised.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know Young Simbra. I'm not sure who that is.
Speaker 1: He was?
Speaker 2: What's his name? He's one of the kids from He's one of the kids in Full House. Oh yes, Jonathan somebody Price or something like that.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, yes, here's one of the one of the many kids.
Speaker 2: Not important enough to for us to stop stop the showdown.
Speaker 5: Oh. The one that was a surprise to me is I think Rowan Atkinson was in there someway. I'm afraid you're shipping up to be a pretty attic. Indeed, got that one.
Speaker 2: Yes he was Dodo Bird, Yes, yes, that was him. Did you know the mere Caddy type thing?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, who's that is?
Speaker 1: An actor who's very theatrical. It was Nathan Lane.
Speaker 4: Look, bad things happen and you can't do anything about it, right right?
Speaker 5: Wrong?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, of course, yeah. No, he was very good too. I couldn't spot Nathan Lane. But now that you mentioned, I'm like, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: He's done very well. Lean Neeson was considered. I'm not sure if he was what is considered me, but he was considered for the roll of Scar. You can imagine and lean Aisan being a pretty good Scar. So, okay, did you like that? You like the music? You mentioned it there were there wasn't a lot, but did you like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I wasn't as taken with the I thought Hacoon Mactada would be a much catchier.
Speaker 1: So to be honest, maybe they've only said it once and I'm forty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that might be part of it. Yeah, but so those things get committed to memory from several viewings. Yeah, so we're dealing with the film we've both seen once and yeah and and like you you know, we're saying when you see it referenced in other things, it was a favorite. It's a family film, and because it's a family film, it was used by parents to make their kids sit in the one place for a long time, or it's a rainy day, I will put line king on. So yeah, so for a generation, it's a film that they've probably seen at least fifteen times in their childhood alone, let alone recently.
Speaker 1: Did you did you did you identify who was?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I thought that was the easiest Darth Vader.
Speaker 5: Yes. Yes, it was really throwing me actually, because his voice sounded exactly like Darth Vader. It was like if he started to wheeze that Mavasa he would have been. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a scene where he's telling Simba that like about I'm you're my son and all that, and it's so weird because you expecting the scene together we will rule the galaxy.
Speaker 5: It's such a yeah moment, Mom, you have forgotten me? No, how could I?
Speaker 3: You have forgotten who you are and so forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Cinema. You are than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life.
Speaker 5: How can I go back? I'm not where I used to be.
Speaker 3: Remember who you are? You are my son in the one true key and another empar who you are.
Speaker 5: No, please don't leave me, bother, don't.
Speaker 2: Leave me American.
Speaker 5: No, I really enjoyed it. Yeah, I was like I was enjoying listening to Darth Vader. But because I was, I was starting to imagine Darth Vader doing the voice over, like Darth Vader had conquered the Empire and that he'd sort of obviously the Death Start had been blown up to pieces, and as a result of that, he was probably out of work, so it's doing voiceovers on the side. So I was picturing Darth Vader. Maybe they had a little sound booth in the Death Star or maybe one of the one of the bigger ships they had, and he was just laying down some tracks for the for the Lion King with Matthew Broderick. Was Ferris Buella, Ferris Buellah.
Speaker 2: Was there a big finish mash. I thought I worked hard, didn't work hard. I thought I had this idea for a routine years ago, like in the early two thousands, when I found out that David Prowse did the voice. So David Prowse was the body of Darth Vader. That's a huge kind of guy from Yorkshire and he but I always knew James Earl Jones did the voice, but I thought maybe that that the face was David Pross when the Darth Vader is revealed.
Speaker 5: But he's he's a third actor.
Speaker 1: It's a third actor.
Speaker 2: So I had this routine of David Prowse telling his kids when he just scored the role of Darth Vade, I'm going to be in this huge movie called Star Wars, and then and then George Lucas has to tell him that he actually hasn't. Got it gone with the voice of James L.
Speaker 1: Jones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they get him in on set. They're like, all right, put the suit on. All right, I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready to be Darth Vader. Let's go. Where are you going to put the microphone. We're not putting a microphone on you. Why we still want you to say the lines for the other actors. What do you mean for the other actors. I'm an actor as well. Well, then Joe Lucas what I say.
Speaker 2: But in the in the in the third movie, there's going to be a big scene where you get reveals good news to his kids.
Speaker 5: Okay, he takes the name, he reads the script. Kids, kids come in here the third one. First of all, little Secret Return of the Jedi, that's what it's called. Don't tell anyone else. Great news. Look at this scene. I'll let you read it. Hands it to his kids. His kids read it Darth Vader takes his helmet off.
Speaker 1: That's right to reveal Daddy, it's a close up.
Speaker 5: Daddy'll be here. It'll Daddy.
Speaker 1: There'll be a bit of makeup, but it'll be me and it'll be close up.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be one of the pivotal moments of this amazing sequel.
Speaker 1: You're going to be proud.
Speaker 5: It gets to the day. All right, you're going to pin the microphone on. No, what do you mean though, microphone? I'm taking my helmet off. I'm about to speak. You don't speak. We've already established that. All right, Okay, I'm ready to take my helmet off. No, no, no, you're going and stand over. There we've got And the reason he's not even a famous active by the way, just some other actors.
Speaker 1: The guy I think he worked in catering. He just had a good double chin.
Speaker 2: But the reason I couldn't kind of quite make it work because I think I'm not very good at accents, and I think you to make it really funny to be able to do a really good Yorkshire accent and even do a bit of George Lucas you know, Zabe Mcleahy's all the voices.
Speaker 1: Does great George Lucas to do the voices would really bring it to life. Yeah, so this is the first Disney film. I like the job th fax throughout the show.
Speaker 2: This is the first Disney film which was from an original storyline. Yes, so most of the others are adaptions. In Your Aladdin's Your Pocahontas, this was an original sorry line. Speaking of Pocahontas, all the best animators and the best workers of Disney were put on Pocahontas to work on that, thinking that was going to be the big film, and this was considered that the B team.
Speaker 1: They kind of refer to them as we're working on the Lion King.
Speaker 2: It's become the Disney's the biggest, one of their biggest hits, A billion dollars. I think I made a billion dollars in ninety four. I'm not sure how we didn't hear about that, but we were busy being adults. What did you think of the love scene when oh, yes, Zanola returns, Yeah, find Simba.
Speaker 5: Their childhood friends. So then they're a little bit older and it gets a little bit blue lagoon, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It does get very blue.
Speaker 2: There's there's a shot and there's a rumor that where there's a bit where little Dust she's a hot cat and Simper it's.
Speaker 5: Been a while, Yeah it has.
Speaker 1: Simba's not getting an action with the ward hog and.
Speaker 5: The Ferris Bueller becomes aware of his new abilities.
Speaker 1: Too many days off to think about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all very implied. I mean, it's absolutely spraying pheromones all over the giant.
Speaker 2: There is one way a puff of dust goes up and supposedly in the in the in the dust and in the stars, you can see the word sex. It kind of kind of a bit of an in joke and Disney kind of they responded when that kind of got out there, say no, it's not it's not sex. It's s f X is in special special effects. So it's a bit of a shout out to our special effects department. Yes, I'm not sure that there's true.
Speaker 5: They wouldn't have noticed. They're all rooting.
Speaker 2: They're madly rooting it Disney. Sure they might be working on back us, but we're having the fun over here. But there is a there's a moment where they're rolling around and uh, the female line, I want to say, Nola I'm not sure if that's correct, but she lies down and it really is like a it's come hither. Yes, it is like, yeah, she may as well be on a mattress. Yeah, game on, It is a game.
Speaker 5: On a Simba's open for business.
Speaker 1: We don't visually see her opening for business.
Speaker 5: But it was done in a very clever way because the way that she was lying was something that only an adult would recognize her as it means nothing to children. Because I was watching it with my kids and my oldest daughter seven, and when they were just sort of nuzzling against each other, I knew that it was hitting the mark because she hates that. She's at the age where that's extremely embarrassing. That was the other scary scene for her in the film. I'm serious, really Yeah, So the father dying, she ran out of the room and when that happened, she blocked her ears.
Speaker 2: Ah no, this is the worst, maybe she'd say Selton John.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing to consider because apparently that song that was is that where they play can you Feel the Love Tonight? I think so, Yeah, it's a song they use I reckon, You're right, and I think they took it out of the film. Man.
Speaker 1: I think John even kind of said that that song, Hey, I write a song for.
Speaker 5: You, Yeah, and about lines. Come on, that's the song is about lines reading. Put it in the movie. That's why I wrote it. That's all I think of when I play it. That was a deleted scene from Rocketman.
Speaker 2: Actually as Elton John thinking about lines routing, he actually goes to an African safari.
Speaker 5: So it's going to be confused with Elton John because he so he wrote that song, only that song for that film, and then there was Beauty in the Beast around the same time. Is that Yeah, that was another thing he did that.
Speaker 2: Was a stage production circle of life in el John as well.
Speaker 5: I don't know, sounds like it would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like Elton John kind of thing. Yeah. So where does this rate as far as kids' films? That's it's hard to kind of maybe judges as men in their forties comparing it to two thousand and one Space Odyssey, But where does it rate for you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: It was very, very good, but unfortunately it loses a bit of luster as an adult because you can view it cynically. So, I mean I did really enjoy the story. I enjoyed being able to watch it with my children. Yeah, and it's a joke that I can share with them now because understand what they're talking about. But in terms of a grand picture, I'm like, I know why this movie has connected. It's not just about the story and the music and everything else. It's the theme running through it. It's about loss. And so it's essentially it's almost like basically, isn't it well, Yeah, it's like religion for atheists almost. It's almost like it appeals to adults on another level. It's like if you had troubled explaining you know, the mysteries of life, circle of life. I mean it's perfect. Yeah, So that's kind of great, which I think really helps it along. And I think also you only have to have lost one loved one, which most people have, and then it sort of connects you straight into that, which is what Disney does. It's a specialty just mainlining into your emotion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, done extraordinarily well.
Speaker 2: And the because I wonder when Toy Story Toy Story must have come out of Rantic.
Speaker 1: I remember going to see Toy Story nine.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say ninety five, maybe the year after.
Speaker 2: You're right, because I remember seeing Toy Story as an adult by myself and thinking is this weird that I'm going to see this kid's film? Yeah, by myself, but I think there was enough buzz about the animation and like how far the animation has progressed, And it's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of funny. It's the humor in it is quite adult. By that, I mean like ironic or sarcastic, or it's got a lot of gags in it, so you can so you can enjoy that as an adult. Whereas Lion King does it does it has very little of that. Oh, it has bits of that, but not much, not as much or your classic Disney film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take us through how Tom Gleasee and young Tong Gleason when he wasn't in the band obviously is Like I said, you were the one that had to think hardest about which movie you hadn't seen, Like what was your movie rituals growing up? How often would you get to the cinema to see adult films?
Speaker 5: Well when I was a teenager. For me, I went to all boys boarding school from the age of eleven, So my favorable memory of watching films was film night, which would be Friday night or Saturday night. If you'd watch with like hundreds of other boys, teenage boys. So the big films were any film that was anti establishment. I mean, think about it. We're in the middle of an all boys Catholic school with heaps of rules, and then on Friday night, what would we like watching Blues Brothers, Animal House Stripes, all of those ones that sort of grow out of the Saturday night Live sort of cast. Any Ferris Bueller's Day Off is another one. Like anything that involved a rebel kicking against the rules was just we loved it or James Bond for some reason.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first you were? The first film you've seen? You saw?
Speaker 5: So ever, the first film I ever remember seeing in the cinema? If I must be casting my eyeback because I know the release date of the film. And I remembered Mum saying, because we lived in the country, so seeing films in the city was a rare event, and that's the only place where we could go to the cinema. And I remember my mum reminiscing the last film she'd seen was Gallipoli, so we're talking nineteen seventy nine or eighty, and I remember her complaining, Oh, I hope we don't get blood seats like those seats I got during Gallipoli were right up the front row and I got a sore neck, and I'm like, yeah, well, I don't know the Diggers went through more, mum, But anyway, Turkish delight. I saw that, so I remember it was my birthday. But even though it was my birthday, we went through a cinema that my mother and my older sisters chose because we're visiting them at boarding school at the time, and we saw Tutsie. So I think that was nine eighty one, so I must have been seven, But I do remember thinking, I mean, it's a man in a dress. Yeah, but also Dustin Hoffman is such a funny performer. Plus Bill Murray's in it, and he was funny, and I just thought that this was this film was hilarious.
Speaker 4: I'm Edward Kimberly, the reckless brother of my sister Anton Edward Kimberly, who was finally vindicated. This sister's good name. I'm Edward Kimberly. Edward Kimberly, I'm not mentally ill, but proud and lucky and strong enough to be the woman. That was the best part of my manhood the best part of myself. That is one nutty hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love TUTSI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was. I saw it at the cinema and I've always had a soft spot for it, to the point where when Missus Daubtfire came out, I'm like, ah, I've been done before. This is totsy, Yeah, Totsy.
Speaker 2: Do you remember there was I remember growing up so I was born in seventy five, so around the time I reckon between the you know, from six seven eight years old, there was a kind of like a lovely time for Australian film and I remember like going to the movies to see as take us to see Australian films like The Man for of Snow River. Oh yeah, I seen far Lap. I saw Fatty Finn, Fatty Finn at the drive through. Yeah, drive in sorry yeap.
Speaker 1: Drive through one scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good scene. Anyway, go around again, down on. I want to see the next thcene. We got to go in this drive through every night for a month before we see this film.
Speaker 2: And I have seen cold I'd done thee and that was that's right, that would I would have been close to eleven or so I think when that came out, but uh, there was a real celebration about when an Australian film came out. I mean that's my recollection of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when my brother and I were into my older brother, we used to were at boarding school. Sometimes we go out on the Sunday and we're going, you know, so your teenage years then, and you want to go and see a horror film. We'll go and see things like Razorback. We'd see Australian horror films, right, yeah, and they were they were fantastic because I was so schlucky. They're still scary though. Yeah, we loved it.
Speaker 1: So And how how is your movie habits now?
Speaker 2: Obviously with two kids, I find most people go through I think where you're at Grand zero with the kids, that movie is one of the first things to go.
Speaker 1: It might have changed a little bit since when my kids were.
Speaker 2: Young because of Netflix and those you can actually you know, be home cinema, Yes, exploded even more.
Speaker 5: The quality of the TV at home helps, so like I've got a big TV now and it's four K and we got good on and it's got a good sound system. So there used to be a real, a real primal motivation to go to the cinema to get that complete, you know, to get to be completely immersed in the film. Whereas I must say it used to be thinking I did a lot when I was out doing gigs. I don't do it as much as I used to do so when I'm away from my family. The Adelaide Fringe, as you know, it corresponds with Oscar season, so often we go there and we catch up with films during the day while we're doing shows, which is great, that's but other than that, I mean, the turnaround is so quick between new release and streaming so or renting online, so it's if you're prepared to just withstand three months of spoilers. And that doesn't happen to me. I live in a country town full of other people with kids, and no one gives a shit about the latest release where I live, Like, I don't have to walk down the main street of Romsey gag spilers spilt what happens in the latest tarantine I found. I don't want to. It's fine, so I usually I'm happy. I mean, actually Quentin Tarantina, my wife and I will go and see that, but rarely, like usually just let it slide for a couple of months, and I do think if they're watching on TV.
Speaker 2: The Lady Tarantino Once upon a Time in Hollywood where he's a filmmaker. When he makes a film, I want to see it as soon as I can.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: But my wife also enjoys his film. So it was like, Okay, we need to make some time. But with Tarantina, you need to make four hours. Yes, like as far as getting there, you know, because it's a two hour and forty minute film.
Speaker 5: You don't want to be tired.
Speaker 2: It's basically three hours, and then the journey there and back you don't want to be tired. Movies are a way higher priority to me than my wife.
Speaker 5: So she'd be like, I are the same thing going on now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she'd be like, oh, we'll see it, you know, well maybe next weekend. Yeah no, maybe maybe next weekend is not what I want to hear.
Speaker 1: I want to hear when I want to book tickets.
Speaker 2: So eventually I had a freakish kind of a day off and I was able to kind of slide away and see it by myself.
Speaker 1: I love watching movies by myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I'm a bit the same it's like, like I was telling you about how sometimes trying to get my wife to watch her film is like trying to get a cat to have a bath. It's just really she's just really reluctant. When I was trying to get her to watch Dunkirk, and she's like, oh, it's a war film, and I'm like, yeah, but it's it's Christopher Nolan and it's it's a visual masterpiece and it's been given wall to all five star reviews because independent assesses of the film enjoyed it like more than all the other films they've seen. Like it's an enjoyable experience. Is the point they're trying to make, Like if you sat there and watched it, it would bring pleasure to you. You know, pleasure. Do you know what pleasure is? It's this thing that you just enjoy Like, and it's like, oh, yeah, but it's a wolf. I know, it's a war film. He's reinvented the genre. I'm just trapped and yeah. And she finally watches it and goes, that was amazing. I'm like, yeah, I know, it was amazing. I just watch it straight away. So weirdly enough, we're a bit the same with Tarantino trying to get it to see that.
Speaker 2: Is a bit tricky, but to light it up. But Bridge is a bit the same. She will say anything like any period pieces. She's like, nah, don't don't really want to like you. She didn't watch Game with Thrones. He no, just you know, dragons and medievals. It's just silly, you know. But she loves like where Swing loves sopranos. It's not as she watches crap television. No, it's a little bit of crap. She started watching Friends again. For some reason, people have biases in their viewing.
Speaker 5: They think they don't like a genre exactly, but then when something comes through and breaks the genre, that's that's it's well worth watch.
Speaker 2: Watch, I'd explained to a game of Thronge is about the same themes. It's about power, yeah, it's about politics at politics. It's just said in pretend medieval times. Yeah, you get dragons. Imagine the dragon in West Wing. I mean, I think that would be the only thing that could improve West Wing. To be honest, I like to ask our guests, if you watch your attitude with crying in movies, how often do you cry in a movie? Which are the movies that made you cry? Or are you just are you and I and curtain.
Speaker 5: I it's very very tricky. My wife hates me crying.
Speaker 1: Ever ever or she's really funerals well all the time.
Speaker 5: Well we've been together for a very long time, Like we we've been together for well over twenty years anyway, So my wife, very early on in our relationship, I was upset it's something, and I started crying and she looked at me like and she just walked out of the room. And I talked about it days later. I said, you know, like, you know, there's this whole thing about men being sensitive, like you're supposed to support that, you know, because it's about you know, not being you know, not having to be a man who bottles it all up. It's healthy to cry and all the rest of it. And I said, you don't, and she's like, yeah, yeah, I know. I should. I should have been more supportive. And she's sort of talking about it in those terms, and I'm like, but I sort of got to brass tax. I'm like, you don't like it? They do, and she's like, nah, nah, don't. It's not a good look, is it.
Speaker 2: Because she physically doesn't let the look at you an ugly crying that she's married to a man, and it's not strong.
Speaker 5: I think that it's really really I think she feels like she's letting the sisterhood down. But I think she likes the idea that I'm extremely dependable. Yeah, I think. I think it's a very old fashioned relationship. She's like, Okay, well you you go out there and you get things done, and crying is not part of your brief mane. So crying in films is a bit of a no not if she's around. If I'm on my own, I don't really care. Sometimes I'm the thing I'm most concerned about is my company. Actually I don't care about crying myself at all. But it's like like the classic is on aeroplanes, and like you know that, and I reckon part of the reason of aeroplanes. Everyone has their theory why aeroplanes make people cry. I think it's cast people are between potential not traumatic events, but emotional events. They're either leaving or arriving, so it's a tube full of people that are very tense emotionally. They've either said good goodbye to people or they're about to embark on a new adventure. So there's just a lot of emotion in the plane.
Speaker 2: Also coupled with and I believe this is the actual reason why people cry is less oxygen.
Speaker 1: Less oxygen, Yeah, it makes you more emotional. I think a.
Speaker 5: Couple of white wines in the mix.
Speaker 1: White wines.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm my third chartie. Yeah, I'm in tears so on a plane.
Speaker 5: My main concern is because I've got the noise canceling headphone and I'm immersed in it, and i always pick a drama. I always tend to pick a drama and so and then something real happens and it catches you. My concern is if I start crying, I won't stop. So that's the only reason I'm trying not to give into it, because I'm worried I'm just going to fall to pieces and twenty years where the crying that I've been repressing with my wife is going to pour out on the plane. I'm going to cry my way all the way to the baggage carousel.
Speaker 2: I'm like, ah, sometimes sometimes I'm in situations where I'm like I could cry here, but I'm going to fight it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to fight it.
Speaker 2: This film's going to earn it, although it, yeah, exactly. There are times where I'm like, no, I can't won you. Have you ever thought yourself? Am I willing myself to cry here for some reason? And then then sometimes you start you go like, oh, wow, this is a tap you can't turn off.
Speaker 5: Really, no, I know. And there's a few films that do that for me, and they're just like sometimes, yeah, to watch that film again is like you're strapping yourself in for the full journey because it'll happen every time. What are the ones that get you? Oh, Gallipoli is a big one. That's a definite What else.
Speaker 2: In the Name of the Father was one for me? Which Daniel d lewis about the Guild for four Ember seeing that in the cinema and that was around the same time as like JFK. There's a lot of those kind of like you know, Conspiracy Injustice kind of films and that, Yeah, the idea of forms and the dad kind of you know, innocent dad and that, that and that. Whenever I see that and they get released at the end, I still get kind of I may not tear up anymore, but I get chills.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is it Philomina? Yes, Oh, yes, yes, when the car drives away at the very very beginning, when when she has to and she just looks out the window. It's like, oh I watched that Hungover and Hobart. That was a mistake. Anyway, I was in pieces this tiny art cinema. I was the only person under sixty five. Sorry whisky. Last night I was at some cool brewery.
Speaker 1: That's a hard man some TV, the one who's always going about being hard. He's crying during filomena.
Speaker 5: But yeah, often similar themes too. They're often like war films where like young men who don't know how brave they're being, you know, anything to do with children, there's all these triggers, you know. Or injustice is another big one. Yeah, people being dealton injustice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since you've had kids seven and four, yep, are you more emotional?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, definitely, Yeah, definitely. And it's like I actually remember watching films before I had kids, and often you'd be watching just some action film and action film is actually really good example, some action film, and then like you'd meet the wife and I'm like, I don't give a shit about the wife. Oh they're divorced and they're in a rocky relationship, and I'll just have to go, oh, I get it. This is the this is the emotional hook for the rest of everyone else who watches this film to get you through to the end, and they'll resolve their relationship and the kids will be happy they're back together again. Like I just have to take it on face value. I just see it for the cliche that it was. But now it's just I just buy into it straight in. Every time father's you know, got restricted access to his children. Oh what a tragedy mention that it doesn't matter that it's you know, Matthew McConaughey, and he's trying to like I'm just like, oh, what a poor blafe doesn't get to see his son on the weekends.
Speaker 2: I remember crying, like I hope you win, buddy. I remember sobbing during the film. But I'm sure this will come up quite a few times with this podcast. But I cried and my wife cried during a film starring the Rock And it was this is even before he was making good films, you know, like it was I think it was standing tall or walking tall, but I think it was because his son had very obvious reason why we cried, because his son had a thing an anoplactic reaction, and our son is anaphalactic. So it just was it just really hit home and we were in a cinema, I think Brisbane, and we were just balling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it's sort of like something you're dealing with every day, and they're just right out a note when you're probably were when you're least expected to. It's just like it's just like this needle just coming out of nowhere, right through the heart.
Speaker 2: When you're watching a film, do you are you somebody who you keep a busy mind?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to get ahead of the plot.
Speaker 2: I'm more of a like, let the filmmaker, oh, release his information as he wants to.
Speaker 5: I am the I give myself over to the film totally. So I turn the phone off quite off, not airline made usually the whole way, just turn it off so it's completely dead. And yeah, I'm just ready to completely give into the film. If I'm watching a film on my own, I'll do that during the ads, probably, yeah, during the ads, and then I'll even watch all the previews and just soak them in and I just enjoy I enjoy that moment of transference when you are no longer aware that you are sitting in a cinema, and it's always hard to pinpoints about twenty minutes in, I think, yeah, when suddenly you are immersed. So that's what I'm going for, is immersion. So and the other thing is it's open. This is always a pet hate, you know, when you're sitting next to someone who's got ants in their pants or something where they can't or you can tell they're not liking it, or they're just they're sort of twisting in their seat. When I see a film and I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't get why the director is doing what he is doing, that for me is heaven. It's worse to be sitting and watching a film knowing where it's going to go or it's predictable. I love. I mean, a favorite of mine is is it I'm going to get his name Paul Thomas Anderson. That is right, yeah, yeah, and he because you just never quite know who the good person or the bad person is, or when the scene's going to end, or which way the camera's going to go, and all that stuff. I love. So I always just give into the film and and you know, worst case scenario, you're transported to another to some other place that's mildly entertaining. Best case scenario, you find something new.
Speaker 2: Subcontally, you think you know where it's going, and then it just side swipes you. Magnola is a great example of that with Port Thomas Anderson with the frogs. Yes, you know, at the end, you're gonna got what the fuck are these frogs about? And I still don't know exactly, Like I don't think portam Anderson's ever gonna really revealed what's with the frogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but it's it's great because.
Speaker 2: I've never seen anything like that before, and there's probably some explanation for it. You know, if you're to sit down and pick a film for a night, do you gravitate towards watching a comedy or would you prefer to sit down and watch a drama?
Speaker 5: It's always drama. I yeah, I mean it's kind of boring, but yeah, the older I get real stories. If it's based on a true story, probably even better. I find it's almost like my imagination's clapped out. You know, when you're a teenager or a kid, you know sci fi and all that, it's just sort of fantastic. It's I went and saw I Saw a Man of Steel when it came out, the Souperman film with Henry cavill I think I'm not as a while ago now anyway, and I was really really excited about it because there'd been The Misfire in two thousand and five and Soupman was one of my favorite films growing up as a kid, and so I absolutely loved it. Used to used to just wear out the VHS with that one. On a Sunday afternoon, we had a showdown with like Superman and the three Yes, the three bad dudes.
Speaker 1: One We're being a lady. But it was just so so cool and so.
Speaker 5: But also the connection to me was huge. It was like it's set in Kansas, in the middle of like wheat fields. That's where I grew up, right, And then in two thousand and five, Kansas where I grew up doubled for they it was shot there was shot where I grew up, the Liverpool Plains that's doubled as the barn is still out there in the two thousand and five version with Kevin Spacey and whoever else was in it, and they shot it out there. So when that one came out, I'm like, oh my god, what are coming together of things? They've shot Soupman where I grew up. This is just a childhood explosions ale of life, the circle of Life. And anyway, I saw it and it was a very disappointing film, and I was quite I was a bit traumatized by it. Also, like you know Metropolis, when they cruise around it was clearly George Street and stuff. I could just tell it was Sydney. It kind of really ruined the film for me. Anyway. So then when Man of Steel came out, I was very excited because it was it had the hype of the Nolan brothers had written the script. Yeah, it was going to be the dark Night version of Superman, and there's a lot going on, and Henry Cavill was kind of a good kind of look like a good fit. And I watched it and I was kind of enjoying it. And I was halfway through and I found myself getting annoyed with a teenager was with his dad and asking too many questions like and I was sort of making a bit too much noise and was giving me the shits in the cinema in Perth, and I was looking at it and then I thought, I'm kind of missing the point here because they're having fun and it's a superhero film. That's whole point. And I realized when I got out of the film the reason why I was disappointed was I was wanting that punch the sky moment that I had had as a kid watching Superman the first time he goes and he flies out into Metropolis and he solves crime and he does it and you just you get that feeling you go get him Superman, and I was looking for that moment, and then I realized I'm not getting that moment because I'm a middle aged man. Yeah what am I doing? So since that day, I pretty much never watched another Superhero film because I'm just like, I hear people talking about the Avengers and I just don't care. I finally realized, I just don't really care about it, Like I don't have the buy in.
Speaker 2: Which film have you watched with the kids that you've kind of gone, I really want you to watch this film, and this is you know, like, have you set them down and they old enough to yes, set sound of music.
Speaker 7: Cream colored poonies and crisp apples, stoodles, doorbells and sleeve bells and schnitzle with noodles, while He's the fly with the Moon on their wings. These are a few of my favorite things.
Speaker 5: Sound of music and it's three hours long and they were glued to the whole thing and it was impressive. It was really impressive. When I saw the running time three hours, I thought they're gonna drift. I mean, how are they gonna stay focused on a three hour film? But it's such a beautifully made film and the song are absolutely amazing that they were just glued and they just you know, they just sort of and r at the right bits and they think Gretel's cue and you know, it just all works out beautifully.
Speaker 2: Santa Music was like a massive in our house growing up, Like and this is going back to VHS tapes and you know, like what you had, you just kept on watching. So we had Santa Music on tape, probably recorded off the TV, and just watched it time in and time out.
Speaker 1: Did your kids pick up the.
Speaker 5: Face passed them by? I don't think they know that word yet, So yeah.
Speaker 1: That's good parenting. Is a good parenting.
Speaker 2: So before we wrap up, circling back to your your favorite films. Yes, you mentioned two thousand and one Apocalypse now yep. And the third one.
Speaker 5: Was Wake in Fright, the Australian films that was re released years ago.
Speaker 1: So what are those films? What are those films mean to you?
Speaker 5: Well, two thousand and one of Space I see for me is classic immersion in that when I would see that at the cinema, like when it all first starts to take off and they're floating in space. I remember the first time I saw that at the cinema. I didn't know how Kubrick had actually made it. I didn't, I couldn't, and I'd already seen Star Wars. I think i'd seen Return of the Jedi Empire strikes Back by then, and I'm watching a film made before all of them, and I think the stewardess on the space station, she walks in a complete circle and then goes out through another door. And I thought I didn't have the wherewithal in my head to think, oh, the entire set must rotate, And I think one of the astronauts jogs around the outside of a building and I know, now the set rotates, and they rotated the set and the cameras moved with it to make it look like Centripetal Force was working in the space. Anyway's mind blowing, So that really throws you off early. But the result of that is by the end of the film, when it gets really strange and a lot of people get off the bus, they can't go handle it. They think it's probably too weird by then, by the time you get to the end of the film, for me, I was, in my mind, I'm way past Jupiter. I'm not even on Earth anymore, like in my mind. So just that feeling of like completely being lost in a film, and then and then it finishes, and then you walk out and you're, you know, outside the uphum in Mossman, you know, looking at traffic. You're like, what was that about? So that's that one Apocalypse now for me was again it's got a similar odyssey feel to it, and a bit of a feeling of you know, well going up the river, you know, and and you know, it's like a journey into the mind as well. And I remember again the further they got up the river, just this impending feeling of psychological doom. When I watched it as a teenager was just too much for me, and it got to the point when I was watching and I had to pause it and get my mate over because I was just so frightened by this film, and we watched it again together. So we watched it. I watched it two times in a row because I couldn't handle it, and then I was obsessed by it because it just just messed with my head. And then wake in fright again. Probably another probably got another similar thing. It's also a bit of a descent into madness as well. But I like it for different reasons. I only watched it recently for the first time a couple of years ago, and I just like it because it's just such an unflattering rendering of regional Australia. It's the antidote to Crocodile dundeine I love. I mean, I love Crocodile Dundee and the cheeky smile and the Alarican spirit. But I also just love the naked, horrible alcoholism and racism of the Australian bush and just seeing it unvarnished. I find it horrific and kind of funny at the same time.
Speaker 2: Do you do.
Speaker 1: I quite like the remake as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't seen the remake.
Speaker 1: Actually, it was really well done.
Speaker 5: The TV series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a two part Yeah, it's like a mini series. Yeah, but I should watch it. I thought that was that was great. Finally, congratulations on the Gold logan.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Obviously the tears because it was in the front row, but you close.
Speaker 5: Actually I was. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Yeah, actually because because I was a little bit worried that because I know i've I've kind of since learned that the reason why a lot of people cried awards ceremonies is probably because of the spike and adrenaline is probably a big part of it. It's not necessarily, Yeah, part of it is probably fight or flight response, because I felt a bit of that on the night off because I was I did think. My first thought was, oh shit, I've got to speak because I was thinking I wasn't going to win. I thought Costa was going to win.
Speaker 1: That is the uh.
Speaker 2: Whenever I've been nominated for something, and I was nominated once with a Gold log a few years ago. Didn't bring home the chocolates like you good self did. But that's the strangest thing about the whole night, not knowing you were sitting at a table room full of industry. Well, I was certain I wasn't going to win. Yes, that's where I was. So you had, you know, clocked a couple of pinos. Yeah, nothing too tricky, nothing too tricky.
Speaker 5: There nothing I couldn't get around.
Speaker 2: And then but not knowing whether you in thirty seconds time, ten seconds on five seconds song you were going to have to stand up and walk to a stage and either and give a speech that there's some expectation that's going.
Speaker 1: To be funny.
Speaker 2: Well it was also kind of had a whole bunch of stuff kind of you know, come back clocked into it, a few arm truths in the mix, or that you were going to sit down and nothing's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, I mean I can only the way I can confirm that I was certain I wasn't going to win was in the cutaway shot. I pretended I was asleep, and you know, you know me and you know comedians like in my mind, I'm when I'm on camera, when someone's filming me, I'm going to do something, because I'm going to try to do something and a tanny. You were the same I saw you when I watched the speech back. I saw you like drinking with me, and it was funny. You're going to do something. You got the cameras on you. You got to do something that was so funny. So I pretended I was asleep because I because I thought that was it. I thought that was the last moment being on camera, so I might as well do something with it. I'll pretend I'm asleep and that'll be funny. And then I was getting ready to clap cost her. Yeah, when he won goal.
Speaker 2: That's what I was ready to do because I only watched it back, probably two months after the night, and because people said, oh, your cutaway view was really funny, and I was like, well, because i'd seen there was a reaction to.
Speaker 1: I think it must have been a manda.
Speaker 2: They cut away to it, and there was a reaction to that, and then you did another joke.
Speaker 5: I feel like she got short shrift. I think they kind of caught her just when she was concentrating.
Speaker 2: It's it's almost the Milania Trump and Justin Trudeau. It's actually if you freeze something at the right moment, or you catch somebody. But in the same way. I think people thought that I was almost like rolling my eyes or kind of going. A few people thought I was going, and I was just like taking a drink, and I was actually looking because where I was looking was actually where the screen was, and I thought they were going to maybe get a cut away with somebody else who you're talking about, I think Grant, and so I was just like looking there and then I saw.
Speaker 1: Myself on the screen.
Speaker 2: It played very well, and the yes congratulations hard quiz goes from strength to strength. As a final question, who would you love if you had your pick? Let's open it up yep, worldwide.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Even keeping with the movie theme, who would you love to sit down with on hard Chat?
Speaker 5: It's easy? Russell Crowe?
Speaker 1: Oh really, well, that's an achievable one. Sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna try to. I know Charlie Pickering is in contact with him, so I'm going to try to get him to get Russell Crowe for the Yearly, which is our end of year special. That would be great. And I think I reckon with Russell. He's a tricky one because I reckon he I'm a massive fan of Russell Crowe, and I think once he knows that. I think he'll be more likely to want to do it because he'll realize that it's fun. I don't like. I don't I don't have any But this is also why I reckon hard chat works. I don't have a problem with anyone that's actually yes, that's why I feel like it works. I actually genuinely, you know, I have no malice. I don't really care. Yeah, which is why I can do it. So I think Russell Crowe would be fantastic stick for several reasons. He's a massive star. I like his work, but also I mean, well he's an actor. He'd be very intimidating. And also he might just bury himself in the role of Russell Crowe and then next thing I know, I'm doing a I start by doing a comedy scene with Russell Crowe, but by the end of it, I'm like, I'm caught in some weird actors reality. I mean, I don't know what's going to happen, but it would be a thrill to just try to spar with him.
Speaker 4: Why are you not entertain why you're not attained?
Speaker 2: Well, it's been a pleasure sitting down with you to discuss Lion King and all other matters, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Tommy Gleeson on You Ain't Seen Nothing.
Speaker 5: Yet a Kerne Matada. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's a wrap on episode one of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. Great to have my mate Tom Gleeson up for the first episode and he really enjoyed watching the Lion King and chatting about it. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was the guy I was trying to think of during that episode. He wasn't from Full House of Growing Pains. He was from Home Improvement. Apologies for screaming at their phones and we're having that discussion, and.
Speaker 1: Apologies to mister Taylor Thomas. If you're listening, I would love you.
Speaker 2: To email us at the podcast at Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com as in Yasney You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Tell us what you thought of the show.
Speaker 2: Requests guests, request movies and we'll try to find a guest who hasn't seen that movie. Let us know if you cry during movies, You're allowed to cry during movies.
Speaker 1: Let us know. Let us know your favorite films.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Yasney Podcast at gmail dot com, follow us on socials. All the informations will be in the show notes, Like and subscribe and follow. Whatever you can do help spread the word for the podcast. Give people the heads up so they can actually watch the movies before they listen. Obviously, if you've listened to this point, you know there are spoilers involved. I want to thank a few people. Man sitting alongside me Derek mais podcast manager. I met Derek during our junior football games. Will both umpire escortse Yes, that's where life has become. You need adults to escort the umpire safely off and under ten's football match.
Speaker 1: But that's where we met kids.
Speaker 2: You're playing for rival teams and we've got chatting and he told me he basically is running podcasts out of a studio in Collingwood in Melbourne called Castaway Studios. It's a great space if you're looking to record podcasts. Derek will help you out in everything you need, so Castaway Studios. The website is castawaystudios dot com dot au, so.
Speaker 1: Get on that.
Speaker 2: Also, good friends Tom Witty and Jimmy Saunders. They did the production music the score for the show for you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 1: They are great dudes.
Speaker 2: I've known Tom and Jimmy for years now they're both Jimmy still involved with the project.
Speaker 1: Tom was a big part of the project for many years.
Speaker 2: They run also a company called Circus Tree Sounds Circus Tree Sounds that is, and they do boutiques for film, television, ads, podcasts as well. Get on them a Circus Tree Sounds dot com.
Speaker 1: They are amazing.
Speaker 2: Tom Wilson does a great podcast called Time to Die, where comedians write the worst three minutes they can think of and challenge another comedian to perform that three minutes in front of a live crowd.
Speaker 1: It is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Sadly he's only three episodes because the coronavirus hit before they were able to do more. But so getting on the ground floor Time to Die podcast is an absolute ripper. I want to thank sponsor Dan Murphy's.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: I know some people get a bit up at you about sponsors on podcasts, but I really want to thank Dan's coming on because during this time, it's a tricky time for artists everywhere. So Dan's coming on board means that I can actually pay not only the people who have helped put this series together, but also every artist's comedian actor who comes on gets paid to coming on and that's all to do with Dan Murphy's, so if you can support them, and yeah, I really want to thank them for coming on. And it's all true. I did actually work there. It was my last real job before leaving off the do stand up comedy and they were very supportive of me when I was doing a stand up So yeah, a big thanks to the Dan's next episode is Sam Pang, star of Have You Been Paying Attention? And No but Breakfast Show the Front Bar. This is amazing. I asked Sam which movie he hadn't seen. He told me he had never seen The Castle, the classic Australian comedy that I thought every Australian had seen. It turns out Sam Pang hasn't seen it, which is amazing because he actually works for the people who made it, Working Dog, the people behind Have You Been Paying Attention? He hasn't actually seen their movie. It's astonishing. It's a great chat. I can't wait for you to listen to the next episode of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with Sampang The Castle.
Speaker 5: And so we leave old Pete safe and Souf and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night