Speaker 1: Gooday everyone, and welcome to the catch up. No, I'm not Mason Cox, obviously, but we will be crossing to Mason shortly. As we all know, he's in the United States of America, so it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The pressure's on me to get this right. Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, shut up, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify, and Apple podcasts. So get on there, check it out, subscribe to all of them. Live. Crossing now via the power of the Internet, to the one, the only six foot eleven and a half. We'll give him the extra half an inch. Mason Cox. How's it going, Mason?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. How about the intro from him? How he's got it all seven platforms. You've been nervous. You've been nervous. There you're you're bitch shaky, But hey, you got through it. That's the important thing. Brother.
Speaker 1: I feel like an absolute betroot. My head is about to explode.
Speaker 2: Look, man, you know it's it's practice makes perfect. You know, sometimes a lot of people think these things are easy. They're easy, you know, just to intro into a podcast, but you know, it takes a lot of time, It takes a lot of effort and takes a lot of looking in the mirror and practice yourself. So well done, Brandon, I must say it was a great intro, and I'm actually really started for this podcast. There's a lot of stuff we're going to cover. I know I'm in a different kind of magically kind of connecting through the internet, but there's a lot of stuff going on the world in the world at the moment, and we got a lot of stuff cover. Man, a lot of stuff cover.
Speaker 1: So where are you, like nestled between these two pitcher frames? What's going on?
Speaker 2: I am in Las A. I'm actually in Ontario, California, which is just outside of Los Angeles. So I'm at the USAFL National Tournament. So there's an AFL league here in the US, and I'm here as a representative, as the AFL representative I guess, one of the AFL representatives over here to help grow the league essentially. So I've gone to the last four or five, I want to say, and I've always been a representative here and just enjoy it and it's kind of a bit of a family out here, and it's always perfect timing in the off season. So this is one of the first first stops on my whole tour to America while I am back in the off season in the States.
Speaker 1: You've been to so many that you would probably be the one of the leading experts in us AFL knowledge history the whole show.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit nervous. I don want to be quizzed on it, but I feel like I know a decent amount. A decent amount. There's people. It's been twenty five years, so this year is the twenty fifth anniversary, which is a big deal. So they've had a gala, had a big celebration, everything else, and it's kind of cool. I mean, twenty five years of essentially creating a league out of nothing. It's been awesome to hear some of these great stories from people that were here since the very beginning and just had this crazy idea. I was like Australians in America, going, hey, let's randomly get some people together, let's go have a kick, and let's see if we can create a league in a country half a world away from this place that the sport has actually played in. So credit to them, man, they've they've come a long way and it's a big deal. Every year there's forty one teams, I think, and there's over a thousand people playing this weekend. It's they rent out this whole complex. Man. It's actually it's a great experience. And a lot of XAFL players and people in the media and stuff have come through over the years and been able to experience it and everyone just has a really good time. So it's it's a great it's great experience. If anyone's listening from America, you know, go find a local team. Go find a local team. You'll have it in your city. Go join, Go play a bit of footy and have a kick, and maybe we'll see you here with the nationals next year.
Speaker 1: Surely part of it is the fact that we take our sport over there so the Australians can be the best. Maybe they weren't the best when they were back here in Australia. There, you know, country pluggers or their VFL battlers or whatever. Take it over there. You're Chris Judd, You're Gary Ablett Jr. You're the Mason Cox of the league. Once you take it over to the USAFL.
Speaker 2: The fact that you just loop me in in this team category is Christian Gary is just ridiculous. Beyond belief. Braden I appreciate the compliment. I think both of them probably half my size. If you stack one on the other, you might get my hight. But I think they're carrying a lot more skills than I ever will. So there is there is players that come over here though from the like Australia that moved over to the US and are playing in this league. Man, they're absolutely killing it. So you got these guys that might have played VFL or played you know, samful or something like that, you know, in their day, and they come over here and the playing with Americans essentially teaching Americans how to kick a football and how to handball and everything else. And the level of standard for you know, half these guys being in the eyes and girls so it's men's and women's for them. Half of them don't. I've never even played footy. They're essentially Americans. I just got into it randomly, And it's pretty awesome to have this many people kind of involved and have it come thus far.
Speaker 1: I like what you did there. So you're saying, Chris Judd and Gary Ablick combined makes you.
Speaker 2: Between the three of us, we've probably got like what seven brown lows probably kicked a thousand goals and played about seven hundred games. So yeah, I mean, I'm not sitting here saying one better than the other. You know, it's a team effort, but I'm just saying the three of us have quite a resume.
Speaker 1: Same same, it's the same.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if if you've if you've heard, and I don't know if you need to check in on your apartment while you're over there, but Australia has basically ceased to exist since you're left. We're under the ocean. We're having a little bit of trouble with the rain and the water and the flooding. And I don't know if you've heard if it's made it over there to the States. But Rochie, my birth town, it's got, it's gone, it's underwater, it's it's it's everyone's been evacuated. Yeah, it's it's. It's the Atlantis of Victoria. And a Chuka is well on its way. Just a little update from back here. We're struggling.
Speaker 2: So I've heard I think that York Street Bridge and Melbourne, I've I've heard that's back underwater, which it does every time it even sprinkles. So it's a little bit of rain. That thing's flooding. But it's crazy, Like you know, I'm being in a different country. You don't like probably hear the news as much. But obviously in how nuts it's been over there since I laugh oud, and you know, I want to wish all the US to those small towns because we've said on this podcast before. You know, we're big fans, big fans of Rachi, and you know, we hope anyone that's up there listening, which is you know, there's only five people in town, so max five people hopefully you know, hopefully your friends, family, everything are okay, and you know you've evacuated, done the right thing, and hopefully you can come back to to something at home.
Speaker 1: It's crazy times, crazy crazy times.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, speaking about getting the community together and everything else. Now there's a man called Ned Brockman. This guy has done something phenomenal. Now I don't know if you've been following him. I'm not sure who out there is known about this, but this man is crossed country. And I don't mean cross country in a car or a bike or a push bike or anything like that. This man has ran across country. He's ran from Perth all the way to Sydney. He's just finished up a few days ago and he's raised like one point five million dollars I think at the moment for Mobilized, which is an amazing charity out there, and this man is just now I know a lot of people this has been in the media in Sydney and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if it's made it to Melbourne. But this man Net has done some phenomenal stuff and he's done over like a marathon a day. He's almost like done one hundred kilometers a day, which is just insane to think for like forty odd days, so over a month doing a marathon a day. This man is an absolute jet. He's absolutely killed it and he's made it all the way to Bond Eye and he's finished this race and it's so so cool to see someone like this raise that kind of money for an important charity nonetheless, but also do this amazing human feat. And I think he's a he ran the second fastest person to ever run cross country in Australia and he's an absolute jet. He's a young man, he's like in his twenties early twenties, and yeah, it's a credit to him. It's been awesome following his journey from day one. He's he's started all the way out and called his lean to say, and he's finished in Bondai. And this man is just insane. I can't imagine some of the stuff he's put his body through just to be able to get through that. I mean seriously, he's going like in like ran through the nol bar nol bar nolible. What did you say? It's not good bye man, Hushul you know that, but no, he's done something amazing. Man. And to do like one hundred k's a day, I cannot even fathom like the pain and exertion your body would be going through to have to be able to do that in a whole like forty days straight.
Speaker 1: I doubt my car could do one hundred k's a day for a month.
Speaker 2: I've seen your car. I don't think you could either. I don't think that thing's making across country unless it's getting towed. What's there?
Speaker 1: You get your GPS data? How many k's would you say you would run in a game as a ruckman. You got to get around, You've got to do a lot of k's. How many caves?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Not as much as a small fellows, but I'd be running like probably twelve k's a day or sorry, a game.
Speaker 1: How cook are you after you've run twelve k and could you imagine doing that another ten times in the same day.
Speaker 2: No chance. I don't think I could walk a hundred k's a day Like that is absurd. Like you were sit there and say, like, Mason walk one hundred k's, like I would probably go nuts, Like I don't know what he's listening to. Hopefully he's listen to The Mason cock Show because there's a lot of entertainment in that. But I just can't imagine what he's been doing and what's going through his head on a daily basis on one hundred k's and your body just being absolutely yelling at you with pain. It would just be an absolute sandity. So yeah, credit to him. It's been an awesome compisration something awesome. I've been able to kind of, you know, follow him on socials and everything else. He's got a whole crew in a van and everything following around with physio and all that, and it's a it's a massive feat and just human history, I think. But also he's an amazing dude, that's doing some amazing work too, which is which we love.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point because the demons crawl into my head when I go for a five k all kinds of stuff up here that's like, you can't do it. Just stop, mate, just be fat, Just embrace it.
Speaker 2: There's like, just embrace it. Dad Bards are in. Dad Bards are in.
Speaker 1: So well he's he's traveled across Australia from side to side. Tell us about this America trip before we get too far into the podcast. Outside of footy, you're doing a lot for the community with the USA FL but how about just the trip in general? You what are your plans? What do you plan on doing while you're over there.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm a bit of a loose unit, so I don't like the plan too far ahead. I literally don't even know my plans. I've got a loose plan for about a week ahead of me. I'll be here and so I'm going to the Monday night football game, or I would have just been to the Monday night football game. Sorry, And I'm essentially going to go to Oakley do that. So Oakley Headquarter is going to have me, because you know, everyone knows where these glasses nowadays, and they're gonna have it on wearing in games to see if there's anything they can do there, which would be pretty cool. And then I'll fly over to Austin, Texas. I'll go to the f one meet up with some friends there. Whould be a great time down in Austin. And then from there I'll fly to Mexico. I'm going to do a little R and R in Mexico a little then out in Mexico, and then from there it's a been open ended. I'm not really honestly sure. I'll go back to Dallas at some point too, thanks to you for the family. And then I've got about a week in lou i might go up to New York. I've got some friends up there there. They're living up there. Pretty pretty cool to see and yeah, and then I'm all head back to Australia and I'm actually going to go up to the Northern Territory and go to a place called Groot Island. It's off the east coast of sorry, off east on them Land, and I'm going to go do a little bit of a fishing trip and a bit of community work up there in the indigenous community, So trying to put all that together at the moment with a fl k P York house and the Polyfores, so a few things on that to do some community stuff along the way.
Speaker 1: You're going to get back to pre season and it's going to feel like a rest. That's going to be like I, thank God, thank God, I'm into preseason training. I can finally have a.
Speaker 2: Break, finally have a schedule again. Finally I can just do know what I'm doing every single day for the next three months of my life, and then we'll get into the season, which we'll last for another six months.
Speaker 1: What I do want to see though, is when you do Thanksgiving, I want to see what you cook, because like I don't think a lot of our listeners would experience a Thanksgiving in the States, Like is it turkey? Obviously you got to do and then what what's what's on top of that.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the classics, man, So you got turkey, cranberry sauce, obviously, the pumpkin pie is a massive thing. And then you'll have mashed potatoes, gravy. Those are kind of like the main staples. Now we have that, but then I've also got so I'll have my Thanksgiving with my family here in America, and then I also have a friends Giving, which is like a Thanksgiving with friends back in Australia whenever the first weekend before we start training again, which is probably not the best thing in the world to be smashing a ton of food and just becoming a fat piece of shit right before you start training. But you know, you got to traditions, so we'll do that. And then essentially I've got a lot of friends from all over the world that kind of have come into Melbourne and stuff, and each one of them brings something. So I've got a friend from Sweden. He brings Swedish meatballs. Is that part of thanks Seeming dinner? Usually no, but we let him do it, you know what, because he doesn't do thanks to me and Sweden. So we kind of make it around, which is good fun. But yeah, I'll have two Thanksgivings this year and then we'll be back into training to hopefully run all that off.
Speaker 1: What's the Australian Thanksgiving meat?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What could what meat could we provide?
Speaker 2: I feel like Kangaroo's easy one, right you just like you know, I do one of the kangaroos, like I think they bury it in the ground, like the kangaroo tail and they do like a whole coals underground, Like oh man, actually sounds pretty good. I don't know. It's kind of weird to be like people like, oh my gosh, you can get kangaroo at a local supermarket in Australia. You kill kangaroos. I was like, Gods, kangaroos are like deers back in Australia. I don't think you understand. Like sometimes they're a pest on the road and they're like, but they're cute and cuddly like koalas, and I'm like, it's not really like that.
Speaker 1: It would be way worse if we were killing and eating koalas. They're so cute. They're too cute.
Speaker 2: Before you move on, I just want to say this because a lot of people will know this.
Speaker 1: What are you going to see?
Speaker 2: Chlamydia is the number one killer of koala's brandon, So is.
Speaker 1: That why we're not aiding them because we don't want to get Can you get chlamydia? If you an animal that's got chlamydia? If we can affect check.
Speaker 2: This, I mean I think we should maybe refrained from that after COVID from the Bat, So maybe that's I don't know if there's kind of crossover there, but I think we've maybe learned our lesson as a world to not screw with certain animals. I think Cola is probably out there.
Speaker 1: Now we're jumping straight into hot takes, and you've got one here. You've put it to the top of the list, so I imagine it must be pretty near and.
Speaker 2: Very important. And this is gonna upset a lot of families because as everyone knows, I'm sure everyone's played this game. It is a very very popular game worldwide. Worldwide. It is called Uno. Now Uno the card game, as everyone is understanding, you know the different things that happen. You can have a reverse, you can have a skip, you can have a draw four, you can have a draw two. Right. Well, Uno has come out recently, and I'm a bit hey, there's a hot take. I'm been living on this bright and I'm not I'm not gonna lie because this this was a like, this is a big thing in our household. You now, because you get let's let's set the scene. Let's set the scene. Okay, you're playing Una, right, You're sitting there and you got this asshole to your left, and this guy's got you. He's dogged you like four times. Right, he's got the draw four, he's chosen the wrong color every time. He's just been a pain in the ass all game on. Right, Yeah, and this guy goes up right and like, let's say, the person before him, you know, puts down the draw too, and you've gone, oh, yes, the guy before me has to draw too, right, Well, this dickhead, as as they do. He goes and lays down and draw two on top of a draw too, which makes a draw four. And you're stuck there drawing double the amount of cards, and you're like this, I hate this game. I don't want to be a part of it. Right, you've got twenty cards in your hand. You're going, literally, I've got the pick of the bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Uno has come out and they've actually corrected this rule. Now, Uno doesn't really come with directions. I feel like it's a bit at adhac. Everyone's got their own kind of rules and regulations. But Uno has changed the rule where you can't put down a draw two on top of another draw too to make it draw four. So now it's just draw two the next person draws two, so you can't get like draw to the next person goes draw too. You go draw four, and the next person puts another draw to, the next person gets draw six, and then you get another person that's like draw two, and it's like the next person got draw eight cards and you go from one and UNO to like nine cards, and then you're sitting there screaming at the people next to you who are your family at Thanksgiving dinner because you're so pissed off with them for protriating you, like absolute dark shiting. Ah, it's just so frustrating. But anyways, So not that I have any connections to this, and I'm passion about this whatsoever it's happened to me, but anyway, Yeah, so UNOS has changed, the rules, were clarified the rule per se, probably more than anything, because I just let everyone run with the rules. No one really had any rules they came to the box. But apparently now the draw to cannot be put on a draw two to make it a draw four.
Speaker 1: Sometimes life's not fair. Sometimes you get piled up with draw toos and you get slammed into the dirt, but you pick yourself up and you dust yourself off. But now we don't have to learn how to be resilient because they just changed the rules so we don't hurt someone's feelings.
Speaker 2: Like that's I'm more on the patient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm more on slam them down.
Speaker 2: Create some feuds in the family. People hate each other.
Speaker 1: Drill Ane with like seven draw toos in her own like stuffer. If she's not ready to play, don't come to the table. That's what I reckon.
Speaker 2: You step in this arena, you gotta be ready to play.
Speaker 1: Like that's the brakes. That's what happens. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: That's where I learned resilience as a child.
Speaker 1: Out of Monopoly, We'll say, and I'm going to put it out there. I don't know if you've got like a crazier game or Risk. You remember Risk? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I add two housemates and one ended up moving out because I don't know if I've told it on the podcast. So Risk is essentially your countries and you're at war, and it's like it plays out that way. But one of my housemates let another housemate play on. He said, I take pity on you. Instead of wiping you out, I'm gonna like just let you play on, I'll take you down to the bare minimum and then you can just you can still feel like you're part of the game. Anyway, the other housemate ended up coming back and winning the whole thing, and then that housemate flipped the table and he's like, you should have been gone in the first place. I let you stay here, And it was like this, It was like a war in the household.
Speaker 2: I've flipped a few tables and Risk, and I feel like any of the listeners out there have played Risk, they've experienced it, because whether you're on the winning end or the losing end, someone's flipping the thing. It's not the thing is too it's not. It's not just like a few pieces. And anyone that that's played Risk knows this. There is a thousand pieces of this game. So whenever you flip the actual board, it scatters into a million different areas in the house and like three weeks later, you're pulling soldiers out of the closet going how the hell did you end up in here? And it's just obnoxious. Like I've I've personally flipped a few a few of those Monday. Don't get me wrong. I have been like a competitive if you know that, Brandon. But yeah, I feel like in the grand scheme of that, he probably let them keep Australia, you know, but Australia the little continent on the corner that like, you know, it's very hard to get to the rest of the continents, as we all know in the game of risk, and he probably loved that. And then Australia came back.
Speaker 1: Where battle is where you can't count us.
Speaker 2: Outlers and prisoners.
Speaker 1: It's good jumping to my hot take. And this I've experienced this recently. So every experience that I've ever had with my goov has just been a big old steam and pile of shit. You've got to link like forty accounts to your MyGov but none of them work. And I called up I got like, you know, Janine, she's eighty seven, she's in the call center. You're like, hey, Janine, I just like I want to just go outside and like live a life. Can I like link up my vaccine passport. She's like, oh, it's just our system, dah. You know, it just does you know, whatever it was, And You're like, cool, story, But you do force millions of people to use this system, and if they don't. They can't go and live a life, So fix your shit. It's like, link your ato to the thing, but a bada ba put in all my information. It's like, nah, bro, this isn't the right information. You're like, well it is because it's been my super fun for the past thirteen years. I don't have another one, so that has to be and they're like, nah, bro, you better call our call center. It was like hello, Janine, It's like, yeah, I need to link my shit and she's like, oh no, you're back again. Yeah, it's just a system. If you try turning it off and on again, you're like, oh, nah, I didn't just thought that the you know, multimillion dollar system would like work once ever. And it was like nah, so you just get to do that loop over and over and over. But the best part about it is they don't give you an option. There's no other option, Like, I just want to give the government money please, and they're like yeah, they're like, you just want to give us money.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to be hard to give us time. To give us time to with your money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you got to spend like two hours on the phone. You gotta like you got to you got to jump through like hoops to give us money. What you just want to give us money? No, we'll make it difficult for you. So yeah, my hot take. And I don't even think it's a hard take. I think everyone will agree. But my GOV is us, It's just us.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting for the day that MyGov turns into optis and has this whole, this whole thing where everyone everyone's stuff goes public. I got an email the other day saying my information was released from OPTIS from like ten years ago when of our first came here. I was without just like a year now, obviously with Telstra big Fantelstra, big ambassador. But yeah, at least you know, I'm waiting for that day that you know that the MyGov kind of has the eighteen year old that hacks into their system and releases everyone's Medicare information.
Speaker 1: I think everyone's waiting for that day. I have zero belief. I have zero faith in any government online anything. But it's good because you get forced into it, so you have no choice. So we're just all on the roller coaster together. We're all in the same boat.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking about being in the same boat, mate, we're going to go into the greatest part of every podcast. It is the water cooler chat. I know everyone's been hyped up what we're going to talk about. You know what, can I go to work with and say, you know, I'm gonna bring this little snippet, a little tipbit up to you, and I'm gonna let you fill the rest of this story. And that's what we're here for. We're here for weird, wacky stories.
Speaker 1: We get the ball rolling. You got to do a little bit on your end, like, come on, we're giving you convos starters, So don't rely on us to do the whole thing, but we'll get the ball roll in foot.
Speaker 2: Don't rely on me to be one hundred cent factual on any of these things. But you know what, this is a great conversation starter, and that's the important thing. We're all here for a good story. Now, there's something massive happening here and it's unfortunate, it's a little bit of negative, but you know what, we've got to know this because these are the important things in life. Right, The important things in life are divorces, and Tom Brady and Giselle are talking about getting a divorce and it's absolutely killing me because I am sitting here as a professional athlete, hoping that I'm gonna be able to marry a model one day and live a beautiful life. And Tom is screwing this idea up for me, but don't appreciate it one bit. Tom and Giselle, I'm not sure what the issue is. I know it's probably Tom not being able to retire, and Tom just keep coming back from retirement dominating the NFL as dies at fifty years old. Now, I understand you can be upset, don't get me wrong, but come on, like, what can we Can we work through this? Can we just figure it out? You're a power couple. I need I need power couples of my life. You know, the entertainment world needs Giselle and Tom to stick together. But unfortunately they're both I think hired divorce lawyers. Brady's seeing it. He was seeing at the Robert Craft wedding by himself. It's never a good sign. If you're the wedding by yourself married, it's never a good sign. Tom. Yeah, and she's just supporting. Apparently she's not happy with his decision to come back out of retirement because Brady essentially retired and said nah, I've spent about a month at home and they're doing my head in, so I'm gonna go back to work. So yeah, it's it's a tough time out there. But Tom Gizelle throws up.
Speaker 1: I can actually he's doing all right because he's laughing all the way to the bank. If they do break up, she's worth more than him.
Speaker 2: Apparently she is worth more. Yeah, there's a few NFL like and stuff. I've had a divorce and have been more wealthier than the actual professional athletes. They've been all leverage the position they're in. So Gizelle actually might be paying Tom Brady out for a divorce, which would be a pretty wild scenario. I mean, she's made her own money in her own right, doing me wrong. But it is kind of funny because Tom's known to be this one of the best professional athletes ever and he might actually be getting money from her, which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Now. I know, Tom Brady's probably had a few offers, but hear me out, Gizelle. I'm on Inge, I'm on Bumble, I'm on Dave. If you do sign up, just keep an eye out. I am single. You know, good blow funny sense of humor mustache, great guy, good accent in Australia. Get a gizelle. See I could put it, I can thicken it up. Oh, cricky, get a gizelle. Well you come over here and wrestle a few crocs. Why don't you.
Speaker 2: Swooning over that accent? No doubt, I think you're hey. I think you slide into the DMS. I'm sure. I'm sure she'll get back to you. She'll be here in a jiffy. And who knows what will happen mate Now over the weekend, obviously in so football, massive, massive sporting news. Now in CLA football, we put up a post about this. There's a there's a pony that is the mascot of Southern method the Methodist University, right SMU, and SMU is playing I think Navy at the time over the weekends, and something happened, right, so this horse slash pony miniged your horse. Maybe, I don't know what you wanna call it. Every time they score a touchdown, which is, you know, we go in the end zone, you know, people dance all that kind of stuff. Yeah, horse goes and sprints across the field. Right, So SMU scores a touchdown, they're going, yeah, right, let's get it. And then this pony goes the Pony Express across the across the field and unfortunately, as you can't really predict these things, the pony goes number two as it's running in the middle of the field. So what happens? Break? What do you do? I mean, it's it's sprayed just ship everywhere, and I mean that in the most literal terms. It is pretty shit everywhere, and it's on the field and players are still gott to finish the game. So what do you do. You go into a bit of a time out, essentially for a TV timeout, so they can clean up the ship from the actual field. So, yes, they had to go get the horse people to go out and with cups and scoop up all the different little trails that this body had left throughout the field as it celebrated, and the game essentially stopped for about two or three minutes while they had to clean it up. Man, it was a pretty shitty situation.
Speaker 1: You could say, gags who gets that jump the ship clean up gun?
Speaker 2: It wasn't just one solid one man, it was it was pieces everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a decent cleanup. I must say on five.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's let's wind up this sadness and jump straight into the highly credible, well researched news that I run and I don't. I've kept this separate from you. I haven't shown you, so you don't know what's coming up. So I do want to play something off the top, and I want to get your thoughts on what you think it could be. So have a listen. Alright, I'm going to fade that one out there, any any thoughts on it?
Speaker 2: About five seconds to long? Brand that's what I think. No, I've got no idea what that is. Man, it sounds At first I thought it was a cruise ship horn, and then I think it turned into maybe a bit of a some kind of instrument someone's playing. I'm not really sure the background to it, but.
Speaker 1: I give you the listening to give you the headline. Man plays saxophone while doctors perform awake brain surgery on him.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I've seen these before.
Speaker 1: Also known as an intraoperative brain mapping and awake craniotomy, aids neurosurgeons in removing tumors that are deemed inoperable, so awake brain surgeries are performed on tumors that have spread across the brain and do not present clear boundaries. Such tumors undergo significant shrinkage following the surgery. So the surgery lasts nine hours and he played the saxophone the entire time, and it's said that he is recovering.
Speaker 2: Well, it's crazy. They can sit there and like literally, oh geez.
Speaker 1: What are you doing over there?
Speaker 2: Oh? Just cramped them.
Speaker 1: Ah, this is going well.
Speaker 2: I just cramped from running water in the sifl. Oh how good is that? Oh my god? Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you were giving us an example of like someone getting surgery. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't believe that just happened. Anyway, Sorry, I'll go back to I've seen these before now, it's pretty cool. They do like a violin. Every once in a while, they'll have someone talk during this operation and they can sit there and like poke on one point in the brain and then they just go absolute blank, like they don't know how to speak, or they can't play like the tune they were playing or whatever it is. And it's like, it's so interesting that we know the brain so well to be able to sit there pinpoint something to say, this is the one kind of nerve that connects your ability through your brain and your arms and your limbs to be able to like play music and things like that. It's it's it's phenomenal, Like if people haven't seen, it's actually really cool. There's people that will play violins. Those people are like literally talking different languages to a bit, to each other, to the surgeons while they're actually doing it and operating on the brain. It's it's phenomenal what we can do from the medical sense nowadays.
Speaker 1: I've moved Florida Man to second because the last one is insane. So that's a little preview for the next one coming up. But I don't know if you know where Crestview is, But Crestview Man has a nine year old drive him seven miles home. You know, it seems pretty innocent enough. A witness suspected that the driver was impaired due to the vehicle being all over the roadway, so the witness then cut off the car before noticing that it was actually a child behind the wheel. The nine year old told deputies that Arios, which is the twenty two year old, asked him to drive him home. They say that the nine year old then began driving back to his house alone. He traveled three miles back to his house before he got pulled over. The mother told deputies that Arios, the twenty two year old, was at her house the night before drinking alcohol and stayed the night. So he's gone, I've had a few too much, mate, I reckon, you could drive me home. So he's done the responsible thing. He's got that nine year old, he's got the DESI driver. But unfortunately the Asi driver was nine years old and he was intercepted. So that was this close.
Speaker 2: A nine year old like sitting on phone book stacks with like you know, a block for the pedal, pushing the pedal down to be able to drive this car, and his hands are like literally stretched as far as part, grabbing both ends of the steering wheel and just driving like a clown.
Speaker 1: So this is it. This is the big one. This is already instant classic before we even start. Woman scammed by Russian astronaut who claimed he needed money to return to Earth.
Speaker 2: Russian space and went down recently, so it's a possibility.
Speaker 1: The man claimed he needed money to pay for landing fees once on Earth and the rocket to fly home, so we had to buy a rocket, and then you got to you got to pay the landing fees. You can't just land like anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played for the parking.
Speaker 1: You got pay landing fees. Not everyone can just crash her out in the ocean. A man claiming to be a Russian astronaut in space allegedly scammed a Japanese woman into paying his return trip to Earth, vowing to marry her once he landed.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: On his profile, he uploaded a whole bunch of random photos from space and said he worked at the International Space Station, where astronauts have limited access to cell service, So you know he couldn't he couldn't just message her all the time. Yeah, like you know, you don't get the four or five G up there. Their relationship quickly escalated, he proposed, but said to tie the knot. You know, I got a land back on Earth. So, believing the man would be her future fiance, the woman paid him about four point four million yen, which is about thirty thousand US in five in five installments. But the old Russian astronaut didn't just you know, take the win, take the easy dub. He demanded more from her. She you know a bit suspicious reported him to the police, and now they're after this Russian astronaut. So I don't know how they're going to catch him. Like one, they got to get a rocket or so, they got to get up there. They've got to play the you know, the landing fees on their end. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: So essentially the space forces you know, tender swindler is essentially what this guy is. And I can't imagine this lady who has thirty thousand dollars, is that you know, gollible to actually believe that someone you know needs to pull up a Pace day app to be able to make sure they can park their you know, their space force with jet to get down there to make sure they get to Earth safely.
Speaker 1: But the only thing that I can think of that would be just the last little twist in this is the police investigated. And it's true, like he's still up in space trying to figure out the planting arrangements, and he's like, just isn't.
Speaker 2: That new easy app? I can't figure it out.
Speaker 1: He can't download the app because, as he said, there's limited cell phone service up in you know space, and he's still waiting for his banking app but he comes back and then he's he's a bit miffed that she even questioned him, and then it turns into a full you know, spat and then Giselle finds out and she ends up getting married with the Russian astronaut, and it's a full.
Speaker 2: Thing, Braden. We must, we must move on because there's there's also many things we need to catch up on and everyone's favorite segment. We have a lot of female listeners, and I feel like a lot of male listeners get a lot out of this too, mate, And it's the dating life, the dating life, Mate. Now I've been told by you that we have a bit of a submission, Is that correct? We do.
Speaker 1: We do have a fan submission this week, and it's a real you know, up and down a fair I won't say anymore because I don't want to spoil it, but let's just jump straight into our fan submission.
Speaker 3: Good eight, Cocky and co because you'll hope you lads are both well. Got a bit of a story for you. It's a bit of an awkward moment, bad day, but not really because it actually a really really good day. So anyway, basically talking to this girl for ages really really like this. I took her out one day and had this great plan. I was like, I took her to the beach, We had a picnic sorted out, was super good. Just didn't have a picnic basket, so she supplied it, which was still killer. Got some nice like a cheese board. Like I was feeling fancy, like I was, I was head over here.
Speaker 2: I was keen on this.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we go. The date's great. It watch the sunset. It's really really nice. Then I go to drop her home because I picked her up in the gentleman I am. And as I'm dropping her home, we get to her house and like we're on the way up and I do I've just really really got a fart. Like I know that sounds so bad, but the entire drive I'm just like thinking, I can't let this go here. I cannot. Anyway, we finally gets her hacks. I'm like, oh my god, thank god. I get out. I do the courteous thing. I go over to her side. I open the door for her, and then I go and I opened the boot to get to the basket. She's standing there waiting.
Speaker 2: I opened the boot.
Speaker 3: It's all fine. Then I go shut the boot and oh, like my car's a little bit old and had to over exert, and oh, as I slammed the car door down, I just let out the biggest far of my life.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was so bad. I can't even describe it. And we both just look at each other and we both knew and we just had that like quick glance each other and then looked away, and I was so embarrassed, like I dropped her off. Then the whole way home, I'm just like head in hands. It was like a long drive but worked out in day for two years.
Speaker 2: So fight on, so faright on, wow, fart on. Hey, that's how you know if she's a cool check if she just if she just rolls with it and just laughs and you move on and like it's no big deal. That's an absolute keeper.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Blame the car straight away, no doubt in my mind.
Speaker 2: No doubt. I would have done that instantly, like oh, this old piece of shit and just like throwing the thing, like I would have tried to create that same noise again somehow and be able to play it off as if it was the car. You know, your car, So I'm like that'd be like, oh, I must have been the muff for her.
Speaker 1: Suspension. Creek saw this old thing and if you see and then if she's still cool, she like, lets you get away with that full well knowing that you're lying. That's a good sign, a green flag.
Speaker 2: We'll move into We'll move into the last segment. Mate, we've got the footage.
Speaker 1: Chat jump back into this. So the USAFL. We touched on it briefly at the top of the podcast. But so, what's the deal. You were at a tournament today. So the whole thing's played over the span of a day or how's this thing work?
Speaker 2: So the tournament's played over two days. Both brothers are playing it, so there's men's women's divisions, there's everything here. And yeah, they played two games a first day and then depending how they go on the first day and the second day, they kind of have different pools for the tournament. Doing how they go, they can play four games as they get to the grand final and then they'll be crowned a winner at the end of the thing. So there's a lot of games over the weekend. There's plenty of grounds and stuff. It's really good fun. Everyone out here just having having a blast, learning more about the game and becoming a bit of a family over here because everyone's just surviving on AFL in America and it's a very unique thing. So you got people all fly from We're in LA at the moment. We've got people flying from New York. We've got people flying from Florida and Seattle and up in Camp and all over the US, and everyone's flown in for this weekend just to be able to play footy together.
Speaker 1: Tell us how did the family go? Two brothers, which one's the best?
Speaker 2: The Nolan's team won the national championship in Division one, which is a massive deal. So they've actually, want to think, either the last four or five national championships, so they've they've been absolutely smashing it there the Austin Crows. So if I ever wear Crows gear, it's the Austin Crows, not the Adelaide Crows. Don't throw a shade at me, please everyone, but represent the Austin Crows. But the other brother also plays with Seattle Grizzlies. They tied one lost too, unfortunately, but they have actually, like I said before, they've they've grown a lot in the last two years. They've played played really well and they've they've become a lot better in their skills and just kind of you know, movement to the ball and everything else where. It looks like a proper game AFL now. So yeah, both brothers played. Nolan won the national championship and got to drink out of the club, drinks out of the cup. They got this massive cup they win and everyone pours beer into it and drinks out of it and it's a whole circle thing and it's it's good fun, man. And there's gonna be a lot of videos coming out in the next few next week or so about it. But yeah, they've been dominating the Austin Crows and on the women's side, the Iron Maidens, which is the San Francisco team. They've been absolutely dominating over in the AFL W on that side of it. So two powerhouses at the moment that are waiting to be knocked off. But this year it goes to to the Crows and the Iron Maidens.
Speaker 1: He's starting to get a little jealous. The gap is getting bigger between you and Nolan just keeps getting another cup to the trophy cabinet. The cabinet at home is going to be full of all Nolan's medals and trophies.
Speaker 2: He keeps telling me, I'm the only brother who hasn't won a Grand final, which is true, but he's it's kind of crazy, man, because like he came over here, and obviously we've had him on the podcast. He's one of our previous Nolan Is. I've got two brothers here, but Nolan has been on the podcast. Check it out. It's a great, great chat about my life and his involvement and everything that kind of happened and got me through the AFL. It's in the in the storied archives, but yeah, it's it was just kind of awesome to see him get into it. He's now one of the best players in the league and plays rock also and he's one best on ground a few times and MVP of the tournament a few times and things like that. So he's definitely making a statement over here. He's entirely too old to be playing the AFL. A lot of people ask me that, you know it's probably going to come over here and now all he's I al want to say, his age result enough to that to not be in the AFL, that's that's for sure. But no, it's awesome to have them involved. Mom and dad fly up here, you know, and the two brothers all in the same place, and it's become a bit of a family reunion every year.
Speaker 1: We just went through the trade period. Everyone's favorite time of year, especially the players. They love it. No anxiety, know nothing. You thought your thoughts on the trade period because you've got a fair few new teammates. You clearly lost one. Oh well, you lost a couple, but you lost one that's very near and dear to you in Brodie Grundy. You've been on this journey for pretty much the entire time and you're like in the similar role. But the way that you, guys, I saw it firsthand connected over the journey and you know, starting with like the Falls Creek experience, kind of going head to head and you know, driving standards between each other. It was really you know, it was impressive to watch at times. And Brody had this just you know, preseason he would go insanely hard, like like there's never going to be a question around him, and the effort that he puts in and his pre seasons because it was like insane and just to see like you two kind of drive each other with that, you know, that energy and that work rate, like you only made each other better. But I can imagine that that kind of solidified, like a friendship between you two guys. Have you spoken to Brody or have you reached out or you've been overseas, So I imagine it's hard. But like, what's that process been like just watching from afar?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of knew it was going to happen beforehand, so probably I probably myself obviously very close and we kind of had a conversation I guess a little bit before it came out. And yeah, it's just it's just tough, like I mean it is. I mean, at the end of the day, you know, there's got to be decisions made, I guess from a from a club standpoint, to try to put them in the best, best possible scenario. But whenever it comes to these things, you know, you make these amazing friendships with with guys over the years, and Bertie is definitely one of those I'll value at a very very high level and is, like you mentioned, pushed me to be a better player, not only on the field but off the field, and he's he's done some pretty amazing things. He's a great, great human, great great motivator and a guy that you know will be missed at the club. He's probably he's someone that you kind of you always kind of think, oh, you know, he's always going to be there, and you know, have all these experiences with people, but you know, everyone including myself, you know, we all have a finite time in this in this league, and unfortunately things kind of don't always go to plan. But Brodie's you know, he's an amazing person. I think he's handled it quite well. He could could have gone the other way and been really filthy and everything else, and he's been really really kind to everyone through the whole process and has been really a stand up person. So credit goes to him. And yeah, he'll definitely be a mess. From my side, I always love competing against him, you know, whenever you get to compete against some of the best ruckman in the league, and Brodie was one of those. And you know, it's it's it's tough now to be able to see him go, and you know we just have to kind of step that up from our perspective, I guess myself and dar camera and now we've got damn stay there and you know, Aiden Bag and bas the other Fellaw, sorry, we'll kind of have to drive that standard now. But yeah, it is it is tough to see him go. He's a he's a person that's been at Staple Round the club for a long time and someone I've highly respected, and you know, I know you've had your experiences with them also, and he's always been so kind for to everyone, not only just in the footy side, but also the admin side and everything else. And he's just a stand up human. But whenever I kind of found out, you know, we kind of sat down and kind of, you know, I said, you know, I understand, I understand these things have been out there and I thought that might be the case, but kind of said, you know, step back, and I always try to think, you know, what's what's life going to be like in ten years and fifteen fifteen years time, you know, And I said, in fifteen years time, we'll have a laugh about this whole thing over a beer and talking about how crazy life is and that the whole kind of circumstances let us in the path that we end up at at the moment. So yeah, it's it's a sad thing to see him go. Totally understand from the club standpoint. I think Brody understands too, along with Melbourne. But yeah, as a friend and someone who's somewhat been of a mentor of mine over the years, it's gonna be a bit different with not having him around, and I'm definitely going to miss him. But luckily he's just going to be across the streets, so I'm sure we'll still catch up and have a few lunches and dinners and whatnot a on the years.
Speaker 1: That is a benefit that he's just there. I imagine that it's.
Speaker 2: Because literally walks like one hundred meters. It's gonna be does change he doesn't have to change his Carpark pass. Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, it's going to be crazy coming up against him for the first time and all all those little things, and it's not like you have an experience that before. Adam Trelaw was, you know, the obvious one loved Collingwood and you know it obviously pained him to go, And then kind of it feels like this is almost the same or even bigger like those two guys they're going to take with them so much like culture is there moments just along the journey that it clicks and you go like Okay, it's a business.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting time in the IFL because you're thinking it at the moment, right, there's this old school kind of thinking of like you know, you owe the club everything, and you know you're going to be the same club your whole career and all this kind of stuff. And this is this old school mentality that was the situation a lot of times for a lot of players. But in today's world, like players are getting traded left, right and centered of the moving states. You know, all this stuffs happening because there's more money in the actual league. And I think the more money that comes into the league, the more it becomes a business, the more there's not this kind of like connection, a sense of owing clubs as much. And you know, players don't feel like they owe them and clubs don't feel like they own players. And there's a bit more of like a distance in that sense, which is it's sad, but it is the fact of the matter. Whenever things become more financially stable, there's more money in it, and there's more money to drag you away from things. And you know, the same thing from both sides of the spectrum. You know, whether it be the players or be the clubs like these these things do happen. And the AFL is a multi it's over a billion dollars, it's worth over a billion dollars, and you can't say that something that's worth over a billion dollars isn't going to make business decisions whenever it's got that much money and based on money, like that's just not going to happen. And I think it's this a unique time where these older generation has this idea, this dream that you know, like no, no, no, it's it's okay, like you know, you're always gonna play for the same club and it's always gonna be like that. But I think this newer generation is realizing that the chances of you playing for a club for your whole life is probably gonna be pretty rare. In five to ten years, I don't think that's going to happen very often. And it's going to be a unique scenario where I think this this idea of playing for a club for your whole whole career is going to be you know, it's not gonna it's not gonna happen very often. And the more money that comes into the league, the more that's going to happen where people are gonna get traded and jump around and want to go home or want to make more money somewhere else, whoever it is whenever there's a salary cap. And that's just the fact of the matter, and it's not it's nothing against a club and it's nothing against you know, a player. And I understand from this situation with Brody and Collingwood, like both of them probably understand it. Like, you know, we went on an eleven game winning streak whenever Brody got injured, and it's like, well, you know, if we could continue that and then not have the money under the cap, then it's like, okay, well, you know, like it's it is a business, and it's okay, Well, if we could bring in Mixday and you know, Mitchell and Hill and Frampton all these other guys, then the club's definitely going to look at that. And that's that's what centially happened. And you can't blame either party. Like it sucks. It's not a great situation anyone wants to be in, but it's the fact of the matter. And unfortunately, there's enough money in this game that we can have a proper lifestyle and be able to have this as a full time child. But the other side of the spectrum is that some of these business decisions are going to get made to be able to try to put the club in the best position going forward.
Speaker 1: It's one of those like you win some, you lose some. Like you know, for every Brodie Grundy that was out there or Adam Trelaw, there's a mixed at Mitchell, a Hill and a Frampton that got to the club that they wanted to get to and it worked in their favor. And saying that we have mentioned their names quite a few times, Mixed Day and Mitchell Hill and Frampton. You do have a few more teammates. Are you excited to see some of those boys at the club? I hope you say yes, because if you say no.
Speaker 2: Like I'm going to miss Brody. Don't get me wrong, I want to preface this someone miss Brodie because I love the man. He's an amazing human. But it's great to get some new faces into the club. Every year you know you're coming back from the off season, you have these people that come in and you get to know them a lot better and you come friends with them and everything else and Tom Mitchell. I've known for a while and whenever I found out the news, I texted him right away. He was actually in Austin hanging out with one of my brother's friends at his house. I think. So there's a few people like Sean Darcy and Tom. Tom Mitchell had rolled through and trained with the Austin Crows, the USAFL team, so there's a bit of a connection there in that sense. And he's been traveling all over the US, so it'd be it would be great to have him in the middle man, you know, hopefully rock tapping to that fella. He's one a brown loan, He's got quite a bit of skills in him in the house, so he's I think he'll He'll be a great addition to the team. We're really excited to have him on board.
Speaker 1: Just a time check over there in the US. What are you on.
Speaker 2: I'm Jack. It is currently three thirty six in the morning.
Speaker 1: Your boots on the ground. We need some we need some clips from over there.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Monday night football at Sofi Stadium. I chunk some of that up on the gram. That's what you got.
Speaker 1: You've got to go to the thing in the car park. You gotta go to the car park. Thing ogate, go to a tailgate, get us some vision.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go find telgate, get some vision. Maybe do a little shotgun you yeah, do that, Yes, big boy, shotgun.
Speaker 1: Tailgate, takestan world's life.
Speaker 2: Just take Stan. You're pushing it brighton. You're pushing it brighton so you can run off anymore.
Speaker 1: You can write off this whole trip. As you know, you're doing a rekialable for doing a ricky for our big event that's coming up from whenever we start doing tailgates in Australia. That's gonna be big. You wrap us up all the way from Ontario.
Speaker 2: All the way from Ontario, California. Everyone, thank you for listening to the Mason cock Show. Like I said, like subscribe, comment, tell us all your stories, and leave us a voicemail. We love a voicemail. And next week we've got another interview. I won't release who it is yet because it's gonna be a great one, Antonio, it's gonna be a big one. And we've got some massive news, massive news about the podcast coming up the next month that we'll have to release two. We're excited it's an exciting time for the podcast, so get around it. This thing's gonna blow up. I'm telling you, it's gonna be good fun and we're gonna have a great time along the way. So join us. Thanks for listening, and listen to us next time. And if you get times, go check back at some of the old episodes. I'm telling you, some of the old episodes are great. Some of the old people we've interviewed are awesome interviews. To check them out.