Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast the millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, guess what day it is. It's Friday, which means it is time to get my little team together and celebrate you ow incredible. She's on the Money community today, msters greed. She She's gonna be sharing her favorite money wins from the community. There has some pretty good bawler broke tips. I'm excited for them this week, and we're going to be helping to answer a juicy money dilemma which this week is all about supporting a savings mindset, and we're also going to be unpacking a spicy a DM which this week is all about keeping up with the ever increasing cost of living. When I said spicy, I didn't mean dramatic. I mean just like it feels really awful in your mouth. Rising cost of living hate. But that was way too realistic. Nobody needs that in their lives on a Friday. Our community deserve better than that.
Speaker 4: Beck sounded wet.
Speaker 5: Not when I'm going to do a fake from it, I'm going to commit.
Speaker 2: No, I'm committed. We're not committed. We're not committed. You sit in the corner and think about what you've done.
Speaker 5: This is dis How has your week been.
Speaker 4: It's been really good. I put up my tree this week. Finally, very exciting and more excitingly, today we started our twelve days of giveaways on Instagram.
Speaker 2: It's like so fun. We've got Sony brands that I've given us stuff to give away, but like it's good stuff.
Speaker 5: Bick, Oh my gosh, that's exciting.
Speaker 4: We run this last year. It's really good. We've got some stuff from some incredible brands and it's just a fun way to say Thank you to you guys for listening. We so appreciate it and we know we couldn't do it without you, And especially with this year being such a tough year for a lot of people, we thought, you know, anything we can do to hopefully make some people's days would be awesome. So if you're not following us on Instagram, head over because every other day, starting today, we are giving away a fabulous present and I'm not going to give it away. So if you want to know what it is, here to go. Look, I'm not going to give away the giveaway.
Speaker 2: Gosh eck, your week being week has been so great. You haven't stopped talking about the free red rooster you got on Tuesday. Red rooster that's not sponsored, she just got free red rooster.
Speaker 5: Y vibes are high this week, you guys.
Speaker 4: It's Christmas y Christmas.
Speaker 6: Totally Christmas party and our producers.
Speaker 2: And Alisa is back from her tour of the States with her.
Speaker 5: Band Thario Lotharioario Lithario.
Speaker 2: Also, I brought Christmas crack into the studio for our Friday Drinks episode today. Jess had had it before, but it had been at least twelve months since she had it had never had it before. So good.
Speaker 5: It's so so good.
Speaker 2: I feel like I promised you on last week's episode that I would make it for you, because you kind of side eyed me when I said to make Christmas crack and you were like, hey, it's not like family friend, probably not how I would celebrate my Christmas Victoria, And I was like, I'll make it for you. And then when I explained to you that it's made of soladas, you were like, I don't know if I want it. Do you want it now?
Speaker 6: I do want it now, maybe more than what I initially thought it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But it's good and it's cheap, and you can make it and gift it to people. It's just it's a very wholesome, cheap present. Do you have people or just have in your house at Christmas time? I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if you want to make it, there's a real on our Instagram from last year from when we made it.
Speaker 2: Well, repost that on stories today and probably post another recipe so that it's really easy to get. But also thanks for asking me how week? Certainly good? Thanks for asking I made Christmas crack. I decorated my Christmas Tree with Jesse Gotria Chi. It was very fun. But last Friday's episode we pre recorded because we had to fly to Sydney for the Australian Podcast Towards and Jess was like, oh, like, if you're listening to it, we don't know if we've won yet, Jess, what happened last week? We would?
Speaker 4: We would so exciting. We are the bait business podcasts in the whole country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At the Australian Podcast Awards, which was so cool, and Jess and I like we were sitting together kind of watching the screen and they go through like you know, all of the people that are you know, up for the award, and I was like, Mark Boris is in this. If you don't know who Mark Boris is, he's big dog. Like his podcast is very good. I listened to it. I love it. There was you know my Millennial Money who is one of my friends, Glenn James, and he's just so good at podcasting. He's been doing it longer than me, and like he just gets it and he has a number of shows. And I was like, oh, like, we don't stand a chance here. And then when we won, Jess and I just looked at each other like wait what and then we screamed and then we went up and it's probably the funniest video ever. It's obviously on our Instagram. You can go and see it if you haven't seen it. But everybody else was kind of like de mirror and wearing these beautiful downs and like going up and accepting their award and being like thank you, photo and Jess and I like bouncing up.
Speaker 4: They got so excited.
Speaker 2: She just did a move.
Speaker 5: I was scared.
Speaker 2: It was so funny. Like We're in this really big room. There's hundreds of people, and there's like rows of seats right and Jess and I are sitting like maybe five rows back from the front, and you know, because genuinely I was like, Oh, it doesn't matter if we're like not on an end or like at the front. I don't think we're gonna win, Like we're not gonna have to get up. We did, and then my pregnant butt had to like squeeze through everybody, and I was like, regret, anyway, Beck, where were you sitting? I was right out the front, So like, was there anything in your way from coming up and accepting the award?
Speaker 5: Well, anxiety anxiety. I didn't know. I didn't know what the protocol was. I was like, it's my first time here, and.
Speaker 2: Like Jess and I like waving at that, being like come up, come up, and she's just waving back, and I was like a proud.
Speaker 5: Of your guys.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, hello, and like it moved so quickly that we're obviously, yeah, that's the thing moved so quick. He was like, it's so funny though, and like are we coming off the stage? And I'm like, back, where are you?
Speaker 5: Like this was us and I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: And You're like I didn't think it was us, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like it's the scream. But honestly, like, this isn't the first time I'm going to win something. So next time, Audacious, we're gonna win again.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to nominate and give us an award so Beck can have her time to shine on stage.
Speaker 2: Next time we are nominated for an award, I'm not going up. Beck is doing a thank you speech.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, okay, I can do that. I can do that.
Speaker 2: I'll make you proud. All right, thank you, Thanks, Let's move on. Obviously, massive thank you to the community for always supporting us because without you guys, we'd literally not be anywhere, especially winning awards, Like we're very proud of this one. I feel like this is one of those ones where it's a big deal in our industry, like and so for us is like it's massive, Like for us, we're celebrating so much. So thank you for all your support. But back to the community, because that's what this episode is about. Mister Scarici, wins have you pulled out to share with us?
Speaker 4: Firstly, I've got one from Diana who said money win. I did a fun little experiment and decided to collect bottles and cans and invest the money I get from them into Pepsi stock. A bit over three months later, I have more than enough to get one free zero point five leader Pepsi maxi yea from my Dividends Go You Wore, which is actually so funny and very specific.
Speaker 2: And Pepsi Max is like Jess's favorite.
Speaker 4: This is really selfish because I just feel like Diana is my people, because I'm all over the bottle recycling and Psi Max.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so Jess, do you want to share with the community what you did at my house the other day? I'm just throwing her straight onto the bus. Beck you ask her to be like, what did you do at V's house?
Speaker 5: Hey, Jess, what did your vita?
Speaker 4: She served me a lovely beverage a coke, a Crispy coke, and I said, can I take my can and your can home so I.
Speaker 2: Can recycle it? And then I was like, do you want me to start collecting my cans and giving them to you? And she said yes, So now I'm collecting all of my so Jess can take them to the recycling depot.
Speaker 5: That's cute. It's a good friend.
Speaker 4: That is a really good friend.
Speaker 2: It's just really funny. She's like, don't put that in the bin.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I get that's I'll do the same.
Speaker 5: Look, I've got a can here, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to give it to Jess.
Speaker 4: I kind of like Diana's idea, like I want to see, like could I make a thousand dollars to invest because if I could do it in.
Speaker 2: The community, could do it?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you are now the guinea pig. You have to make a thousand dollars and it has to get invested done.
Speaker 4: We'll document it, will see a good deal.
Speaker 2: What next?
Speaker 4: Next, I've got a money win from Dana, who said I've been eyeing off the Dice in Air rap for ages atal waited for the Black Friday sales. I managed to get one price matched through the Good Guys and I used a student discount and I got the whole blue blush version, which is like the new colourway color, for four hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 2: Or that's a good deal. For context, they're nearly nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Rice, I see see, that's a very good deal.
Speaker 4: Stacking them up, well done done.
Speaker 2: And I am obsessed with my Dice in it wrap like I can't tell you how obsessed I am. It's the only hair toool that I will use.
Speaker 6: I mean, it does seem WORTHDS love it and the hair tool that works in my house.
Speaker 2: So don't know what that says.
Speaker 4: Next, I want a money in from Mary, who said I made some purchases last week prior to Black Friday and was disappointed to see most of the items went on sale. I reached out to the retailers and rather than have the hustle of returning and repurchasing, they just refunded the difference back onto my method of purchase. These were Christmas items that I had budgeted for, so I'm counting that as a money win.
Speaker 2: Overall, massive money.
Speaker 4: If you don't ask, you don't get. We love that for you. Well done, Mary. Next, I've got a money win from Keest, who said, I love Christmas, but I do not love how expensive some decorations are.
Speaker 2: Oh same, girlfriend, feel that in my cy why are you more than ten dollars? Like, obviously they can be exorbitantly expensive, but in my head Christmas decoration that's under ten dollars.
Speaker 4: I wanted to talk to a stick like a tree stick, a stick of with some berries on.
Speaker 2: It's a little reper stick with some berries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't sound like it would be super expensive. Doesn't even sound you see I decorate my tree with me.
Speaker 2: Beck She confused as to why she wanted to buy stick with some berries on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, goes to the vibe. Just how much was it I wanted to I didn't buy it with eighteen dollars.
Speaker 2: Absolutely sick with some berries stick with.
Speaker 5: Some berries on it?
Speaker 4: Literally, I was like, not today, Satan, sorry, but you have one st I found it more affordable.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, thankfully.
Speaker 4: But Test said, I've started making my own pomp pom decorations, and she's made these really cute little wreaths. She put a photo in.
Speaker 2: H those are cute, cue and I feel.
Speaker 4: Like that would be a really simple dare wife, you know, the old the school pompom method, the string around the thing and cut it and then you would just I think she's glued the pomp poms to the wreath, So it's a pretty simple day wife. Probably very kid friendly too true.
Speaker 2: Just do you want to come to my house and make pomp poms?
Speaker 4: I got cute.
Speaker 2: You're invited too, but I think you'd be like, why am I coming to make pomp poms?
Speaker 5: It's not for me? That's okay, Well hold on, let's make it.
Speaker 2: Let's make it for beck. They'll be free food.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, me up.
Speaker 4: But I look awesome, Very well done, Test, They're beautiful and could be a fun protect for somebody else, like jessin Victoria. Yeah, stay tuned to see us make our own next. I've got money in from Ali who said money win. If you're with Origin Energy, you can get movie tickets for forty percent off what I went and saw the New Hunger Games with my partner at our local hoints and tickets only cost us thirty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a money.
Speaker 4: We sign up for the rewards too, because I think Village. I remember with Village and you get like half price tickets during the week or something.
Speaker 2: So is it just me? Or is thirty five dollars still really expensive to goe to movies? In my head? Fifteen dollars day?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: It's so expensive to go to the cinemer My.
Speaker 2: Brain has not caught up with the cost of living Cristis we're currently in. It just hasn't caught up.
Speaker 4: It's like inflation is hitting.
Speaker 2: Ice creams at McDonald's. In my head, fifty cents.
Speaker 5: Still thirty cents even, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but fifty cents because they've gone up for us. But also they're not I know, I'm just optimistic at best.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was very depressing.
Speaker 4: The thinks about well, how about this last money win? Then from Beck who said it's my birthday day and I got some birthday freebies. Oh, happy birthday, Happy birthday. Be We've got to get Krispy Kreme and a boost. Oh yeah, because you get both of those free on your birthday, and I thought maybe we could pop a little post up during the week. In the next week, let us know what you got for free on your birthday. Maybe we'll compile a list and make it a post.
Speaker 2: For you that would actually make a really good Instagram post. Two. Yes, so we'll like get the list from the community free things that you can get, and then we'll make a list that you can save and go back to when it's your birthday or sign up to everything so that they all compiling in on your birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, head to the Facebook group, let us know we got free and we'll make a little post week genius doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at the very least doing the Lord's work.
Speaker 2: Is that it, Jessica, I got this fantastic. It is time to move on to Beck's broke Tips. Beck, what do you bring into the table this week?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Are you guys ready? I thought more than ready.
Speaker 6: Okay, amazing, amazing. Obviously each week I do two from the community, one for myself. So the first community broke tip comes from two who says coming back from holiday will make you feel a little bit broke, which is, you know, totallyable as well. So to offset that do the friends thing. I'm not a friend's watcher, but I'm sure this will probably relate to some people. But take what you are entitled to in the hotels that are like little butters, like bits of like you know, condiments, hair tis, shavers, chowonette's, toothbrushes, anything can get your hands on all the bathroom necessities. And these are like things that you know you might even get just one use out of.
Speaker 5: But if you collect it all and.
Speaker 6: You just happen to I love taking train with you, then honestly it will save money in the long run. Even if it's a couple bucks here and there, you're still saving money. Which if you're broke, you don't care what your hair ti is coming out, if you don't care what your little butter's coming out of you, Just so.
Speaker 2: You know, you're just like Sligh, I've got butter. I didn't have it before, did I Exactly right?
Speaker 4: If you go somewhere that has like something that's package nized. Do you remember this when we went to Monaco the mustard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we stole all the must they're cute, little chat.
Speaker 4: I gave them away, Sudaniki.
Speaker 2: Why used that so us? Can we afford to buy souvenirs?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Will we know?
Speaker 4: They were delicious, Like they were known for what is the type of mustard?
Speaker 2: I think it was like a Dijon mustard. Yeah, like it was like they used it there everywhere, like it was it was very French.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they were delicious and they can these beautiful little jars and so literally every breakfast, I would just take five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, she would, and then she would make me hold them as well. She said, you've got to curries.
Speaker 6: Some these don't f Yeah, you've got pers put them in there good and then you save money on buying giddy.
Speaker 2: I was like, they're the perfect little thing. They were actually delicious. It was like the time I went to a fancy hotel and they had ASoP like all of the bathroom. Like not only did I take them, I hid them from housekeeping each day by putting them in my suitcase so that they'd have to replenish them so I'd be like double. But I was asked the other day by someone. They were like, oh, I never take the stuff from the hotel because I'm never going to use it. And I was like, they're so good for travel. One they're good for travel, but also I would actually advocate still hoarding those things, like if you go on a holiday and you've got some additional amenities or toilet trees that you could pick up. My favorites are like where they have the individually wrapped toothbrushes and stuff because share the dignity each year do there it's in the bag campaign, or you get an old handbag, or you go to the op shop and buy a bag, or you could just put it in any bag and you feel it full of a heap of like toilet trees and useful things for women going through situations where they might not have those, And so for me, I just hold them. I have a plastic container in my room and I just like dump it in there, and then when these it's in the bag campaigns happen, I just like basically go, I have so much stuff. The same thing is true for like you know in Priceline does they're like, ah, they do a big sample bag. So like if you spend like sixty five dollars in store, you get this massive sample bag, and that's cool. You can read it and take all your favorite things. But let's be honest, you don't use everything. Sure, So like, save the bag, save the product, and donate it to somebody who needs it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I love that idea.
Speaker 5: I love that idea.
Speaker 2: It's really cute.
Speaker 5: That's great, especially coming Christmas time.
Speaker 2: V what a great idea. Exactly what else have you got back?
Speaker 6: Okay, so this next one comes from Soften, who has said that her and him mum kind of are susceptible to sensitive and acne prone skin. So what could do is exactly so they do have products that are prescribed by a dermatologist.
Speaker 2: Expensive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so with this this is.
Speaker 6: Probably something that maybe a lot of us already do, but it is a good refresher for me. It was at least as well, because if you get to the bottom of a product and it's you can't physically squeeze anymore out all of us, I think, I feel like most of us will chuck it out.
Speaker 2: But instead, what you could do you just.
Speaker 6: Cut that bad boy over. Yeah, of course, maybe mix it with a little bit of water. Yeah, absolutely, you've got I'm gonna.
Speaker 5: Say, at least like a quarter bottle left, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Totally crevices.
Speaker 5: The crevices really get in there, and like.
Speaker 2: Someone who loves skincare. I am always breaking open the package. I did not pay this much to not use the whole thing totally.
Speaker 6: Toothpaste as well, like any product you have, And do you guys do that with the shampoo in your shower.
Speaker 5: Put a little bit of water.
Speaker 2: Feel like at the start of the shampoo bottle, I'm like squeezing heaps out and then it starts to get real loan, and then I'm like a little bit more frugal. Then it gets real low and I'm like shaking it up with water and using it sparingly, and I'm like, why can't I be consistent?
Speaker 6: I know, I know, but that's basically what often suggests, which is great, especially if you are spending a lot of money on Dermatologically tested and prescribed products get quite expensive.
Speaker 2: So if you're getting scripts, please make sure you're going to the discount chemists.
Speaker 5: Yes, please get a generic version.
Speaker 2: Smart work smarter, not harder, exactly exactly, Beck, what's your broke tip?
Speaker 5: So my one? This is one that I do with my best friend Olivia. I always talk about it when we're sick.
Speaker 6: What we do for each other is we'll make like the cheapest ever chicken soup, which is literally hot water.
Speaker 5: You know Misseell's chicken stock.
Speaker 2: Ye, great chicken stock. It's also vegan.
Speaker 6: It's also vegan, but it's the tastiest chicken stock I've ever had. And because it's so full of flavor, you don't have to use much, So I'll use a tea spoon in a mug.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I may broad and drink that when I'm not well too.
Speaker 5: Yes, And then frozen veggies, and that is.
Speaker 2: I don't even do the frozen veggies. I'm just out here drinking chicken stock. Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: I often do, just drink the chicken stock. But I'm like, if I want some maybe some more nutrition, would you.
Speaker 2: Put any light noodles in it? Or is that too fancy?
Speaker 5: This is optional.
Speaker 6: You can do rice, you can do noodles if you have the budget for that, if you don't, if you literally just living by I don't know, two cents a week or whatever.
Speaker 2: But it's also really wholesome, Like when you're not whole, like and you're laying in bed and you just feel like trash hot drink, like swapping it out for tea, it just feels so much more nourishing.
Speaker 5: It feels really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 5: Really really good for you.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I would recommnd it's less than eight dollars and that will last for.
Speaker 2: The whole tin. Yeah, Like it goes.
Speaker 6: On four dollars, and then the frozen veggies can be up to like four dollars as well, so that will last you, honestly, one, two, three weeks.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's something you should actually pick up, like if you see it on sale, because it's usually like four bucks. So like tin you see it on sale. That's one thing I reckon everyone should have in their pantry as kind of like a staple totally, like especially them a seal one because it's vegan, so it means that bastically any of your guests can have it. You can have it. But like pop with some rice, you've got a very cheap rosotto, Yes, yes, absolutely, but in a cup you have chicken soup.
Speaker 5: I live and die by this stock.
Speaker 2: It is delicious being sponsored by them if they don't need to pay for this, we already stand you.
Speaker 5: That's right exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love that. Alright, let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to talk about supporting a savings mindset, which I think is really important and probably a good reminder because we're about to go into a new year. But then we're also going to be talking about you slipped into our DMS this week, and this one resonated with us keeping up with the ever increasing cost of living, guys, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to the money dilemma for the week.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve that. She's on the Money Team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, She's on the Money Team. My partner and I are going to Europe for six weeks and the trips are about six months. We've both been saving really really hard to make sure that we can afford it, but with holiday season just around the corner, I really want to be able to go do date nights and have nice and while all this fits into my budget, I can't help get over the thought in the back of my head that says that I should be saving the money for Europe rather than spending it now, so that we can do something more memorable. Is there a way that we can have the best of both worlds or some way I can change my mindset to make me feel less guilty about wanting to do these nice things.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I think this is a really good question, actually, and I mean we want to talk about supporting a saving's mindset, which is what that question was really about. I mean, not all of us can go to Europe, that would be nice, but also what are you doing when you get back from Europe? So I think, Jess, you've spoken about it before before you come home. And how much do you have in your account?
Speaker 4: Like seventy two cents so couldn't afford a chocolate bar adea.
Speaker 2: But like, obviously Jess doesn't regret that life is full living. I was young, you were young. You hadn't discovered cheese on the money yet, and there's lots to it, right, But I think you're in this great because you've just told us you're going to Europe for six weeks? How did you save for that six months? Could you please slide into our DMS, Like I want all the goss because even I can't save for a European holiday in six months. Like that's a lot, right euro expency. Their flights at the moment are insane. Anyway, moving on from that, how's your budget looking when you get home? Do you already have a good emergency fund? What is that going to look like when you get home and you're relying on your emergency fund while you're on holiday. Should you be setting up an emergency fund for the holiday that when you get home you can go right, well, I can just check that in my pre existing emergency fund and actually be in a really solid financial position when I get home. What does that actually look like? And then go Okay, this is a really good example, and I'm not saying it's entitled. I totally get it. Like, if I have a holiday booked, I still want to live my best life with my husband, But can we have our cake and eat it too? Like you're going to Europe? Should we be compromising in the short term to go No? I Like, I'm just gonna wait and have an extra bougie time abroad or I'm just gonna wait and you know, really live up the experience, like what does that actually look like to you? So for me, in the lead up to a holiday, I'm often very frugal because I'm like, oh, I feel guilty that I'm already spending X amount on this holiday and coming into the summer months, so easy to have cheap dates. Yeah, fish and chips on the beach. Like my husband and I when we lived a bit closer to a beach, we often would like cook our dinner as normal Miley spoon because we've been there since twenty eighteen. Don't worry, guys would cook our Miley spoons, but would put it into tubwore containers and drop me in the car and drive down to the beach. And that would be our like beach date, like big bottle of soda water calling it a night like weeknight date, or on the beach we're eating our dinner, We're having a really good time. But like, life doesn't have to be expensive in the short term. I totally get wanting date nights and stuff like that. And if it's in lae of your values, I'm not saying no but you're asking because I'm assumed your feeling like you probably should be doing more and want a bit of a direction. And that's where I'm like, Okay, well, what's your current emergency fund to look like? Do you have any debt right now? Because sometimes people do save up for a holiday, but they still have debt. Could you be smashing some more of that down before you go on holiday, or even putting that money aside as like a in case, and then when you get home having a plan to smash down some more debt. What does that look like? Just what would you do? I mean, you've come home before from holidays with literally like seventy cents on your account, and that's really relatable. But if you could have your cake and eat it too, what cake would you be eating it? And wet?
Speaker 4: I think it just it comes down to priorities. Like for me, if you say to hey, I'm going away in four weeks, we could go out, you know, to the pub once a week for date night relatively cheap feed call it fifty bucks, that's.
Speaker 2: Which would be going to because that's real cheap.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming no alcohol, Oh okay, just a pub feed or a parma.
Speaker 5: It somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we met in Palma. You could get for like twenty four bucks. Recon could do that kill in our DMS. People are going to be like Pott and farmers on my side of town at eighteen dollars. What are you talking about, Victoria.
Speaker 5: I don't know because I've never bought a pot and parma. I thought you're gonna say.
Speaker 4: People are going to come saying it's not a palmer at the PARMI I'm not having.
Speaker 2: That conversation because it's actually a parma.
Speaker 4: So back on track. So let's assume fifty bucks a week on a super cheap date night feed. That's two hundred bucks in the four weeks before you go away. Like for me, I would rather skip the fifty dollars meal, do something at home, and then spend two hundred bucks on a nice dinner at the Amalfi Coast. Like for me, Jimmy, I think if you as much as you want to have those date nights, and I think that's so fine. I definitely think it's worth being a bit more frugal now. And then, even if you've already budgeted for your experiences in Europe, can you maybe make something a bit more because like when you go away, there's things always come up. You go, oh, like we've booked the restaurant, but I would like to get the nice steak instead of the salad.
Speaker 2: That was asked when we did Europe last year. Yeah, but I reckon we did your pretty well, Like we did a whole heap of fancy things, so like you might have seen on Instagram, we're gonna und to these really nice restaurants. But in between we would often like go to like Marks and Spencers because we're in the UK for a lot of bits. Bloody loved and it was so good, right, and we get like the meal deal and it'd be like a sandwich and a snack and a drink for like a very cheap price, like what you can kind of get a seven eleven nowadays. You know where you go in you get like a sandwich and a snack and a drink and you're just like, this is a good deal. And then we go eat it in a park and that worked so so well, So I feel like we had this really good balance. I can sometimes we just go to the supermarket and buy a few deli items and share them and grab a like a loaf of bread basically, and those were some of my favorite lunches. Yeah, like those were some of my favorite experiences while traveling because Jess, how much did we love going through the French supermarket?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It's so fun? Like how many different butters do they need? Actually? Literally? Beck, like, why have they got different butters? They have like condiment butter and then cooking butter.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, we just.
Speaker 2: Have cooking butter.
Speaker 4: A French day had to do it. To do it, I would say, just look at how much do you want to do this thing now versus what could that get you in Europe? Because I feel like a lot of the time, if you're making that match up, you're probably gonna want to just pocket it away and save it up so you can have a real fun. But that's so true.
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 6: Look, you know, I'm the kind of person that wants to have my cake and eat it too.
Speaker 2: What you say, and where are we eating it?
Speaker 5: I'm eating all of them and everywhere.
Speaker 6: I would also say, just like you know, date nights, as you're saying, be like, they don't have to be super expensive, Like nothing you do that sparks joy has to be super expensive, Like you can you know. Obviously I've kind of gone back into the dating world, so I'm kind of finding things that are a little bit exciting, but like, I don't know, pick up some like reflex cards or conversation cars and like go sit in the park with a five dollar bottle of red wine.
Speaker 2: So fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so fun just doing that kind of thing, or like just make some fairy bread and take it to the park or whatever you want to do, Like do something that's honestly costs, like air, dry clay, you know what I mean, make something for you.
Speaker 2: Jess and I when we were in Europe, it wasn't just Ess and I. There was a group of girls that we went with. We played the game Heads Up. It's a free but like that was really fun and we'd do that in the park while having our sandwiches and stuff. And it's just a bit lame. Actually that's a good Christmas present recommendation. A couple of years ago, I was gifted a picnic basket and I remember being like, I don't go on picnics. This is awkward, but it's a picnic basket. And do you know what you could do? You go to the op shop and get one of those real cute old school baskets and feel it full of like you know, two cups, two plates, you know, some disposable or reusable sorry cutlery that all of it's plastic. That would make an epic gift because that's then you being able to take your date nights out and about and around like totally. You don't have to have a proper picnic. You can just package up your Marley spoon like I do, go down, but at least you've got some reusable plastic cups that are not going to break, and a place to put your stuff to travel and it just feels nice. Yeah, get your like portable speaker that basically everybody has chucked that in there. Maybe a little beach towel. We don't need a proper picnic blanket. Couple of beach towels, and you've got a good date night.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: It can be really cheap and so fun trying to find ways to not spend money.
Speaker 2: So yeah, just try and then shut. We can try a different beach, we can try different parts, we can you know, go somewhere else. I love it, but I also think it's important to have a savings mindset as well, and that's where we want to talk about the future and go, well, actually, what's life look like past Europe? Because I think so many of us see that as the destination and then forget that when you come back, the real world's going to hit you. And earlier this episode you were saying, you know, if you've been on a big holiday, you come back poor. That's very common as well, So I think we need to kind of like do a good mix of both. Yeah, all right, let's get into our DM of the week. Are you guys ready, so ready excited? Actually, are you excited? I'm excited.
Speaker 5: It's the goss.
Speaker 2: Let's recap on the DM that we got this week, because I think we're all going to have different opinions this week. The DM reads, She's on the money. I need event. Is anyone else struggling with a rising cost of living? Here's my current sitch. I got paid twenty four hours ago, I've paid all my bills, Queen, and I only have fifty five dollars left to last me a whole week. Oh, I'm feeling so stressed and so hopeless. On top of this shitty feeling, I've had to pause my charitable donations and now I'm feeling full of guilt. I feel so bad having to cancel them, but I simply can't afford them anymore. We'd love to know your thoughts on this and other things people are having to give up due to this rising cost of living. I feel so lucky that I still live at home, and I can't imagine what it would be like for those who are struggling to pay rent or have kids that they need to support. Not really a question, I guess just wanted to have an open chat about this. Thank you so much in advance for all your support. Love heart emoji.
Speaker 4: Feels seriously I totally.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel like everyone in this room totally gets that we've all been there and it is stressful. And I guess, like something I mentioned a couple weeks ago, like do I'm sure she's probably already done this, so you know, I apologize if you already have, but like doing like a membership and subscription audit, look at all your ingoings and outgoings and see if there's anything that you actually just haven't even noticed yet, Like you could have a gym membership that you forgot about that keeps coming out of your account and you're just like, I actually don't need this anymore, and you know, kind of.
Speaker 5: Just do it like a beg ordered of that.
Speaker 6: But honestly, if you've paid everything off, there's no better feeling than being like, Okay, there's no one out there that's waiting for me to pay money. I am broke, but I also am not being chased, and the feeling of anxiety from that if you don't have that there, it's just so freeing. So, yes, you do have fifty five dollars for the rest of the week. And I think this is where just like trying to find ways to eat as cheap as possible, it really does suck when you're kind of in this position because nutrition is not your main priority. It's literally just existing and not dying from starvation. So prioritize the Maslow's hierarchy of needs in this point, yes, and think about pop Off queen.
Speaker 2: I think it's so kind though, like, yeah, the fact that you feel bad that you can't donate, but you're in a situation where you only have fifty five bucks left for the week, totally, it's so interesting. I've seen a lot on social media. I would say over the last couple of weeks of people, you know, talking about Christmas, right, and some people have said I'm really rich, and like, here's how I stay rich. I just don't buy gifts for people, and I don't ask for gifts for people, and I just go, okay, like that's fine for you. But from my perspective, the more money I come into, I just look at it and go, this is so much more impactful, like, look at how many people I could help. And like, you know, Jess and I are both on the same page. Both of us have the love language of gift giving. I am she gave me a present today. There's a cup holder, like it's a it goes on my Stanley cup and you can put snacks in here, so if you have snacks and drinks together, and I love it. Gift receivings not a love lianguage of mine, but I'm obsessed because I know it's one of Jess's. I'm genuinely excited about that. But both Jess and I love giving gifts, and I feel like the more opportunity I have to give gifts, especially ones that I'm like, oh, Jess wouldn't be able for that, I'm going to get it for her anyway, Like I love it. It's my favorite thing in the world. And that's the feeling I'm assuming people get when they are donating to charity. It's why I donate to charity. I do a lot of that because it's in line with my values. If you guys don't know, I'm on the board of a charity, Like I am so donations driven because I think it is so important. But when you have fifty five dollars to your name, it is about the thought is not about putting money where your mouth is. I am so fascinated by the concept that the less we have, the more we often give, like you know, the rich or rich because they're super rich. Like it's I wrote an article for The Age and the City Morning Herald a couple of months ago, and it was literally why I didn't think billionaires should exist nobody. From my perspective, I will argue this until I'm blue in the face. No one needs a billion dollars back, not one person. You can live a very good life, but look how much you could impact people and you're choosing not to. Yeah, anyway, there's a lot that we could say on charity, but Charity is beautiful when you can afford it, not at the cost of your own living, not at the cost of you being able to put food on the table, of you being able to pay bills. You know what, that's one of those things that we go that's so nice. Let's put that on the goals list for when I have more cash flow, when I have more money. But right now, you are not going to be able to pour from an empty cup, And an empty cup looks like you don't have enough savings, you don't have an emergency account, you might be in debt, you might be just struggling week to week. There is no shame in saying, look, sorry, I can't do charitable donations. They are one of the first things to go. Please, don't get me wrong, Like, charity is very close to my heart and it breaks my heart sometimes to be like, oh, maybe we can't afford this, but promise there's somebody else, and what goes around comes around. But also, just donating to charity doesn't make you a nice person. Just putting money towards things doesn't make you immediately inherently better. In fact, I would prefer more understanding people than more people with money so I think it's just so important to just go that's actually okay, you can let go of that. You don't need to donate, especially during a period of time where you're financially crippled, Like that's not fair to put that pressure on yourself.
Speaker 4: Holy you might need to lean on some of those resources, like a local pantry or something like that. The other thing I would say is they might feel conflicted about giving up their charity because it is something that's a really core value to them. And like, obviously if they're debating that, I completely understand. Could I suggest looking at donating blood?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and so important this time of year, no one has time, so they all let it dwindle and then our blood supplies across the country go down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I would really recommendating. But obviously it's free. It just takes your time, You get a free snack, you get fed when you're there as well, which is a huge perk. And it's always like the people are so lovely, you have such a good chat, you can chill out for a little bit. I feel like that's a great option. Or you could also look at volunteering. I know a lot of charities do Christmas drives like at their soup kitchens, or they do gift wrapping for gifts that they're distributing to children and things like that. So if you can't pay, like girl, I get it, Like I fully understand, and I see you, and I know that would be a really awful feeling, especially if it is close to your heart, and feeling like you have to give up a piece of you or something that you're really proud or excited to be involved in. But you need to put yourself first, And I guess the compromise is maybe volunteering your time, if you're able to do that instead, is still so important and so needed, and a lot of people aren't able to do that, so maybe you can fill a gap in that way and still continue to fill your cup and have an impact and do good things. But also if you don't have the time, I think.
Speaker 2: It can stay at core value.
Speaker 4: It can stay a core value. You need to look after yourself, and I don't want you to feel guilty because you can only do what you can do, and it's tough times out there for everybody, and we need you to look after yourself first before you can help others.
Speaker 5: So true, what did the community say.
Speaker 2: So before we get to what the community said, we asked them a few questions. So we said, are you also struggling with the rising cost of living? Sixty nine percent of you said heck yes. Thirty one percent of you said heck yes times too. We asked, do you give charitable donations? Twenty nine percent of our community said yes, seventy one percent said no. Next, we asked, if yes, have you had to cut back on these charitable donations due to the rising cost of living? Fifty seven percent of you said unfortunately yes. So this isn't just you, my friend, this is across the board. It's something that we yeah, we see a lot. I am on the board of TLC for Kids, which is a children's charity that is very very close to my heart, Like I'm obsessed with them. If you guys have seen me in person talking about it, like in an event or something, it's so hard for me not to cry when I like fully like go oh, this is what they do and this is how we do it. This is how we're supporting them today. I'm like I break anyway. We see it at TLC as well, Like everybody cuts back. It's No, we actually would prefer you to put yourself first because it means that you're going to be healthy and well and income generating in the future, and then we can join back up having sash on a charity. We don't look at it and be like, oh, I can't believe people aren't. We're like, it's a tough time for everybody. End of story. But then we ask the community, what have you had to cut back on? This one broke me. Someone said joy and I was like, oh, don't say that. Other people said things that are really relatable, so ubery, it's date nights, dining out. Someone said my car had to cut back on that. Entertainment subscriptions. Someone said buying meat. They've said in brackets it's not the worst thing. I'm saving some cash, but that's something that would have usually been in the budget. I think smart like introducing a meat free Mondays or something can actually save some money in the budget.
Speaker 4: And has an on the environment too.
Speaker 2: Yes, someone said I'm no longer treating myself to things like my hair and my nails. They're not necessities, but I really did enjoy them and I will get them back one day. Someone said definitely, no more hair and nail appointments for me. I'm gonna have to learn to diym idea. Why my nails I now great? Thank you, I've been practicing. I can do yours later if you want. But I love doing my nails. It's like a little self care practice. Got a fifty dollars kit. That's where I started. Got it at pricelt. She does a good job. Someone said, Bougie, yes, but I had to cut back on pedicures and pushing my brows from three weeks to five weeks. Someone said, no more Pilates memberships for me. Lots of people are saying eating out now appointments, et cetera, et cetera. Some other people have said, hey, I've had to pause my health insurance for a couple of months. Someone said they're doing without my car insurance at the moment. Someone else said that they're skipping tapping on their my key. We can't endorse, but can't indoors, but get it very sounds risky, like are you going to get slapped with that? Like is it two hundred and eighty eight dollars or something that's wild? And then obviously lots of people are saying, look, diversity in food.
Speaker 4: I e.
Speaker 2: I'm now just shopping for cheap staple items and trying to just keep my belly full, which I think is honestly really relatable. And you're not alone in that, Like there were hundreds of people that responded to that, and I can promise if they're not able to keep those things in their budget, they're not donating either. Yeah, So I think it's about intent. I think it's about caring about people and putting other people first, but not always because you can't pour it from an empty cup, So fill up our own cups, make sure that we are healthy and nourished and okay, because this too shall pass, and then we can get back to those things that really spark a lot more joy. And I think that that's the fairest way to approach it, and just literally the smartest way to approach it. Like you can't be expected to save the world on your own, Like the weight of the world doesn't exist to be on your shoulders, it's spread out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally agree.
Speaker 2: Well, my friends, that's probably enough from us today. It has been a pleasure. As always, don't forget who we are Australia's number one business podcast, thank you and we will see you on Monday, bright and early for money daries. Love you guys, by guys bye. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money Shoper Pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine
Speaker 1: That