Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Been talking about uninvited animal visitors. Set a great email from Sam. Morning Sam, Christian. I was in the shower one day, instantly minding my own business, and a monster possum fell through the event in the shower from above me and into the shower and started going bizark, running around the shower trying to get out. I was screaming, that's a cool possum man to come back to him. Did you have to wait in the shower until the possum man? He feels so vulnerable naked in the shower. That is terrifying. It's worse then, Psycho Sam, thank you very much for your email. So the weekend a comedy, great pastaway. And that's Barry Humphries. I thought this morning somebody would have explained just about the huge, huge legend that Barry wasn't. The life he leaved is Steve Weissar. So Steve's on the line now, Good morning Steve.
Speaker 2: Good morning Christian. And what an appropriate, an appropriate anecdote that someone should have a possum in the shower.
Speaker 1: There's something Barry about though.
Speaker 2: There's so Barry Humphreys a possum in the shower. It's as an expression that they Nedda would have.
Speaker 1: It feels like the euphemism as well.
Speaker 2: Steve to me, the euphemism I'm going to problem in the shower for lucky you.
Speaker 1: So Steve tell us about the huge impact then or the great Barry Humphrees.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's where to start. I mean, we wake up today in a less funny world. He was a man who he was born in the thirties, so he was an old man. He was nearly ninety years old, but even as a student, he was creating mayhem at school. At university he became a datist, an artist whose entire career was focused on disrupting things. He organized an art exhibition at Uni of Dardur Art, and he got some old boots together and filled them with custard and called his exhibition Puss in Boots. His entire life was focused on disrupting people. Of those we all know those stunts that he did. I mean those stunts as a student where he were on his way on an early morning train to work, he had people bringing in He got on the first stop, and at every stop thereafter he'd organized people to bring on a different course of breakfast. So he was sitting on a crowded break train going into work with all these people hanging on, and at every station some of the first bring on the Coco pops, and at the next station they brought on some bacon and eggs, and the next one they brought in a cup of tea, and nothing was said. They got on took off the preceeding trade with. Another one he did in town was he got a sick bag and he filled it with vegetable canned vegetables, put it on the footpath just before peak hour, and then dressed up where it virtually a beggar clothes and proceeded to eat it all up with a spoon, and people peak, our commuters were gathering around in disbelief. It is horrible thing. I mean. Another time in London and for no reason he did this. He got on a train and pretended he was blind, and he was reading a pianola role, you know those perforated roles, and someone started beating him and said get out of the road to stupid old blind man. For no reason. He thought that was performance, asked, I mean he was doing this before he got onto a stage, and then he got onto a stage, and for seventy years he created these characters. Dame Edna, who charted the course of from a suburban Mooney Pond's housewife to becoming a superstar. I mean, she was the original blogger. She was a celebrity with no good reason before there were before there were bloggers. And maybe that was what he was commenting on. Les Patterson astral as cultural attache, just this slobbering, speeding, gufforing buffoon who was hilariously funny. And then you know, there was just a plethora of other characters. But you know, at his heart, mate he was I think he was a collector and he collected. Not only did collect books and things, he collected characters, but he also was responsible over seventy years for collecting great phrases. I mean, he was a blokeouo. Through his character Barry McKenzie collected all those phrases and brought them into the into common Parlance's phrase like you know, up at Sparrow's fat and up she'd creeked in a barbed white canoe without a paddle and she goes off like an alarm clock, or you know, he's got Buckley's or not with it, bulls roar or flashes a rat with a gold tooth, or flat out like a lizard drinking or more full in a Catholic school. I mean, these these were all the phrases that he just heard in pubs and on the street, and he incorporated them into his act. I mean, he was a giant. I mean, the best way of thinking about it is, we've just had the comedy Festival in Melbourne Christian and you know we're the best comedians in the world, and some might do a set of twenty minutes and the best might do a set of an hour. Barry Humphreys, even as a seventy year old man, was doing a three hour show himself alone on stage, all of his characters. He did dozens of those shows on three continents. A star in the US, a Star in the UK, Star in Australia, dozens of hundreds of TV specials, his own shows with the greatest stars in the world. But he would fulfill an available space all by himself. And you know, anyone who stood on a stage in dro and you know you do it every day, but you know the ad breaks he would stand on a stage by himself a three hours flat and entertain people. And it's not like singing songs where people can tune in and out or listen to that song and of the next. When you're doing comedy, you have to have people's attention every second. He would get a laugh for five laughs a minute, non stop for three hours. It's an unheard of feet and he did that in the sixties, the seventies, the eighties, the nineties. That he was even touring a one man show his own life all through the UK and Australia last year, right up to the moment of his demise. So you know, what, what a talent and you know he's going to be sorely missed. He wasn't just a great performer. He was a great writer. He was a great social observer and I think you know, these these are unique. He was kind of like a Mark Twain of Australia or an Oscar Wild of Australia. You know, a penetrating wit and a one off.
Speaker 1: What high praise as well, Steve, You've done You've done the great man justice. You're right, a colossal talent and like you, Steve, and I'm sure many people listening right now. Disappeared down a very pleasurable wormhole yesterday watching there's so many clips you're right, from the sixties and seventies with Parkinson, Joan Rivers and he's holding court. They were all his timing and his use of words and phrasing and look to cameras and to the audience, is.
Speaker 2: Y yeah or real?
Speaker 1: One off there? You never get another one like Barry.
Speaker 2: No, he's a one off mate. And you know if you say, what are we going to miss, We're going to miss a laughter. I mean, it is a rare thing to be able to make a stranger laugh. It's a unique gallup. And he could take a room full of strangers, an auditorium full of strangers and make them laugh and in the best way doing this one thing that is a very rare gift self recognition. He would turn the mirror on themselves and very few people can get a lot doing that. He was a genius. He's a genius or one of a one of a kind and he's going to be miss made.
Speaker 1: Oh you did him justice there, Steve. Thanks for talking to us this morning. I'll catch up with you soon, mate, But thank you Steve for doing that thanks.
Speaker 2: Chris at any time. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast